Yerf newsgroups

Doodles

Jul 21, 2002, 10:44:25 AM7/21/02
Hi, while everyone here seems to be screaming at everyone else, does anybody
have a clue as to when news.yerf.com will be reactivated?

Thank you for your support...

Jicin

Jul 21, 2002, 11:00:01 AM7/21/02
It won't. The Yerf forum has replaced it.

Greetings,
jicin

Duncan da Husky

Jul 21, 2002, 11:14:10 AM7/21/02
Doodles asked:

> Hi, while everyone here seems to be screaming at everyone else, does
> anybody have a clue as to when news.yerf.com will be reactivated?

From the Yerf message board
(http://yerf.com/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=SF;f=2)
"The newsgroups are being retired in favor of the web forums. I will have
an archive of the old newsgroup postings in the near future."

I'm not particularly fond of web forums, but it's their server and thus
their choice. Ah well.

-Duncan
Tom Brady, aka Duncan da Husky http://duncandahusky.livejournal.com
dun...@wolfhusky.org http://www.technomancer.com/~duncan/

Baloo Ursidae

Jul 22, 2002, 9:25:58 AM7/22/02

Kay

Jul 22, 2002, 8:57:09 PM7/22/02

No news cause Dingo says INN[1] is too hard to maintain.

I didnt like this decision and voiced my opinion (complete with good reasons
to keep the newsgroups, examples, ideas on how to make them easyer to
maintain, etc.)[2], but... Dingo was intent on eliminating them (methinks he
had some bad experience with usenet or dosent like not being able to
access them with his cell).

And I think my railing against elimination of the newsgroups (even though
it was quite civil) is one of the reasons why Im not welcome in #yerf.

- Kay, GNU/Furry

1. InterNetNews, the server software.
2. Web based news access, web based news administration software, etc.
--
PS: Baloo, or anyone else interested: I have an archive of the news
postings, contact me if you want to put them on a server or something.

Custer J. Winston

Jul 23, 2002, 12:50:55 AM7/23/02
> I'm not particularly fond of web forums, but it's their server and thus
> their choice. Ah well.
>
> -Duncan
> --
> Tom Brady, aka Duncan da Husky http://duncandahusky.livejournal.com
> dun...@wolfhusky.org http://www.technomancer.com/~duncan/

Well, there are two of us at least.

At least this news service is still available.

http://www.huzzah.com/ | http://huzzah.livejournal.com/

Custer J. Winston

Jul 23, 2002, 12:52:58 AM7/23/02
"Baloo Ursidae" <ba...@ursine.dyndns.org> wrote in message

> Doodles <dood...@cheesies.pacbell.net> wrote:
> > Hi, while everyone here seems to be screaming at everyone else, does
anybody
> > have a clue as to when news.yerf.com will be reactivated?
>
> Dingo says they're not, replaced in favor of gimpy webboards...feel
> free to write to him if you disagree with the decision.

One thing he might consider is aliasing news.yerf.com to a different server
on the critter.net system

Baloo Ursidae

Jul 23, 2002, 7:11:10 AM7/23/02

Baloo Ursidae

Jul 23, 2002, 7:14:58 AM7/23/02

Matthew W. Miller

Jul 23, 2002, 6:16:36 PM7/23/02
On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 21:50:55 -0700, Custer J. Winston
<cus...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm not particularly fond of web forums, but it's their server and
>> thus their choice. Ah well.
>> Tom Brady, aka Duncan da Husky
> Well, there are two of us at least.
> At least this news service is still available.

Bah. Web forums suck. Hassling with uploading via web browser sucks
too, but the FTP server's going away too soon, it seems... oh well, I
guess it's only logical for Yerf to cater to the Live Journal crowd
nowadays. 'Scuse me, I need to go mash some vegetables.
--
Matthew W. Miller -- mwmi...@columbus.rr.com

Baloo Ursidae

Jul 23, 2002, 7:52:28 PM7/23/02

Dingo

Jul 25, 2002, 7:36:56 PM7/25/02
"Kay" <spam.n...@kayfox.org> wrote in message

> On Sun, 21 Jul 2002 07:44:25 -0700, Doodles wrote:
> No news cause Dingo says INN[1] is too hard to maintain.

As I said to you before, kay, INN is a thorn in my side because I run
several other web boards for other projects, and it just makes it easier to
have them all the same accross the board. A small newsgroup server is a pain
in the ass to maintain, and even with administrative tools it doesn't come
close to the features a web-based board offers.

> I didnt like this decision and voiced my opinion (complete with good
reasons
> to keep the newsgroups, examples, ideas on how to make them easyer to
> maintain, etc.)[2], but... Dingo was intent on eliminating them (methinks
he
> had some bad experience with usenet or dosent like not being able to
> access them with his cell).

I just don't care to run a newsgroup when there are much better, newer
solutions out there with many more features.

> And I think my railing against elimination of the newsgroups (even though
> it was quite civil) is one of the reasons why Im not welcome in #yerf.

You're perfectly welcome in #yerf, as I told you in your /msg to me on
FurNet.

Let me remind you the events after Gryllus removed you from FurLink's owner
list for #yerf, since you have nothing to do with the administration of the
system, or the channel. I have removed hostnames, and a few messages that
are not relevant to the events:

*** kay (k...@his.hostname) has joined channel #yerf
*** Mode change "+o kay" for channel #yerf by FurLink
*** Higgins (hig...@his.hostname) has joined channel #yerf
<Higgins> Heya folks.
<Dingo> HEYA!
* Higgins meeps!
<kay> furlink: channel autoop Higgins
<FurLink> You're not authorized to use that command. (You must be either a
channel owner or an administrator.) No one's auto-op status has been
modified.
<kay> huh?
<kay> wtf?
<Higgins> furlink: self-destruct
<kay> who removed me from the channel owners list?
<Higgins> Drat, didn't work either.
<kay> eh, speak up.
<Dingo> FurLink: channel autoop higgins
<FurLink> I'm sorry, but I don't recognize you. You might need to use the
PASS AUTH command. No one's auto-op status has been modified.
<Dingo> Heheheh.
<Dingo> Me either.
*** Mode change "+o Higgins" for channel #yerf by Dingo
* Higgins feels the glow.
*** Gryllus (gry...@her.hostname) has joined channel #yerf
*** Mode change "+o Gryllus" for channel #yerf by FurLink
<Gryllus> rwwwwwk!
<kay> who removed me from the channel owners list?
<Gryllus> Kay: we decided that the owners should be people directly involved
with yerf.
<kay> ...
*** Mode change "+b kay!*@*" for channel #yerf by kay
*** kay has been kicked off channel #yerf by kay (I quit.)
<Dingo> What a way to take it.
*** Mode change "-b kay!*@*" for channel #yerf by Dingo

Also, much later on:

Session Start (critter.furnet.org:kay): Mon Jul 22 19:01:12 2002
<kay> Is it ok if I return to #yerf?
<Dingo> Er.. You threw a fit and left, we didn't kick you out.
<kay> Gry did
<Dingo> Gryllus just removed you from the FurLink auth list.
<Dingo> Not the channel.
<Dingo> It's very high volume now though since I announced it in the forums
and on the homepage.
<Dingo> Anyway, I gotta run to MicroCenter for overpriced Wacom warez.
<Dingo> BBL
Session Close (kay): Mon Jul 22 19:03:39 2002

Session Start (critter.furnet.org:kay): Mon Jul 22 19:03:47 2002
<kay> I didint really like having my "channel owner" rights being suddenly
removed after goint to the trouble of getting FurLink into #yerf, among
other things.
Session Close (kay): Mon Jul 22 19:04:06 2002

Session Start (critter.furnet.org:kay): Mon Jul 22 19:24:14 2002
<kay> ...
<kay> I participate if I wasint soo buisy... To tell you the truth, I dont
really care about #yerf anymore. You can reach me at k...@kayfox.org
*** Signoff by Kompy detected
Session Close (kay): Mon Jul 22 23:28:28 2002

I was away at that point, and didn't bother responding. Yes, you're welcome
to come back anytime, just don't act like we kicked you out.

And if you don't really care about it, stop whining that the newsgroups are
gone.

> PS: Baloo, or anyone else interested: I have an archive of the news
> postings, contact me if you want to put them on a server or something.

I have complete archives of the news server too, and I do intend on putting
them up on the web. There's a link on the home page (News Archives)
specifically for it. I will have them up this weekend.

> - Kay, GNU/Furry

-Dingo, Whatever Gets the Job Done Best/Furry

Dingo

Jul 25, 2002, 7:41:18 PM7/25/02
> One thing he might consider is aliasing news.yerf.com to a different
server
> on the critter.net system

Of course I would! I'm not as mean as everybody makes me out to be. Just let
me know where it should point and I'll set it on its way!

I'd be happy if somebody else would run a Yerf newsgroup server, I know a
lot of people don't like the web forums, and the forums CERTAINLY don't have
to be alone. The more the merrier! I'd even link them with an info page from
the main page, of course, but I would not want to really have anything to do
with the administration of them.

Let me know if anybody wants to take this on. I'd be happy to point
news.yerf.com somewhere and throw up a page pointing people at it.

-Dingo

Baloo Ursidae

Jul 27, 2002, 7:16:13 AM7/27/02

Cyber-Dillo

Jul 29, 2002, 3:22:03 PM7/29/02
If FurNation gets some funding from it's users, we might be able to do
something.

"Dingo" <di...@rat.org> wrote in message

---