A warning about Crossroads MUCK -- to anyone on the MUCK or considering joining

Chibiabos

Mar 23, 2004, 10:06:09 PM3/23/04
You may remember me from such MUSH-bashing as Wild Spirits MUSH where I
proved its administrator spied on private (page and mail) conversations
between users without the knowledge or consent of either party, AND lied
to the MUSH about it.

I'm back, again, but since folk were offended at the length of the post,
I'll just keep it short and simple (this leaves out a -lot- that I
really couldn't state without more logfiles no one seems to care to
read):

- Crossroads MUCK is homophobic ... no it isn't ... yes it is! The
staff declared the word 'lesbian' to be homophobic and forbidden ...
after some complaining on my part, they agreed the post could stay (it
linked to and article at http://www.outsports.com/history/gayhorses.htm
discussing 'butch' mares and 'un-studly' stallions -- an interesting
read with no graphic sexual description at all) but moved it to a new
board set aside for 'anything-goes' adult discussions. Some time (about
a month or so) later, Xerxes (the owner of the MUCK) changed her mind
and in a very long and heated discussion with me, told me on no
uncertain terms (I asked quite clearly if she was referring to this
particular post and she quite clearly affirmed it) she would not allow
such posts on her MUCK -- and, in fact, in that discussion she
ultimately decided to toad all my characters and ban me for making the
post in the first place.

- Crossroads MUCK is anti-consensual-RP. I went to Crossroads hoping
it would be an consensual RP MUCK. However, I was told on no uncertain
terms by a wizard who selectively decided to erase some poses I made and
rewrite my character's history and poses without so much as asking me
first that this is the way it is.

- Crossroads rules mean absolutely nothing. Somewhat related to the
above, the anti-twinking rules are not enforced, and you can expect
others (ESPECIALLY wizards) to powergame your character at any time.
Further, there are an unknown number of unwritten rules that are never
mentioned that you will be 'blackmarked' for -- like even attempting,
through roleplay, to have two alpha male characters (even if one of them
is out of commission because they were captured by humans as part of
someone else's mini-TP). You won't find that rule on the books, but
you'll be blackmarked for it; there are doubtlessly a lot of rules that
you will never find out about until you do trip some secretive
combination and get black marks against you on the MUCK.

Now, Crossroads MUCK is suited to some people -- those who are not
serious about roleplaying, do not like to fuss over keeping IC and OOC
seperate, and don't really care if someone else poses their character
for them. Unfortunately, I've had clashes with a number of such
individuals and have come to realize it isn't that they are bad -- they
just honestly don't understand the feeling of why characterization,
story and roleplay are important to some few folk like myself. That's
the reason I -go- to MU*s in the first place.

Hopefully, there are some like-minded individuals out there who
appreciate good plot, good characterization and fair, consensual
roleplaying as I do. If so, I hope to catch you around the 'net --
there just don't seem to be that many of us, and I think if we did find
each other on the MU*s I continue to attend, we'd all be a lot happier
as well as those that clash with our takes on roleplay.

-- Chibiabos