Hot Rats Tabulature Book

Patrick Neve

Feb 19, 2001, 11:56:45 AM2/19/01
I'm having trouble getting news right now, so I don't know if this has been
mentioned yet, but the Hot Rats tab book is finally out! I found it on Ebay and
was so surprised I bought it on the spot.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1410471247

You could probably get another copy from the seller, though. They look like a
big sheet music supplier. Call 'em up and get you one. I can't wait!

Splat's Zappa Page
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~splat/zappapage.html

Michael Gula

Feb 19, 2001, 2:06:42 PM2/19/01
Patrick Neve wrote:

> I'm having trouble getting news right now, so I don't know if this has been
> mentioned yet, but the Hot Rats tab book is finally out! I found it on Ebay and
> was so surprised I bought it on the spot.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1410471247
>
> You could probably get another copy from the seller, though. They look like a
> big sheet music supplier. Call 'em up and get you one. I can't wait!

When you get it, please post a review.

John Hutchison

Feb 19, 2001, 4:26:54 PM2/19/01
A search on http://www.halleonard.com revealed the following additional
info:

$19.95 (US)
Inventory # HL 690443
ISBN: 0634021524
UPC: 73999670653
Width: 9
Length: 12
72 pages

John
(who's going to track a copy down this week...)

Patrick Neve <sp...@darkwing.uoregon.edu> wrote in message

Michael Gula

Feb 19, 2001, 6:19:19 PM2/19/01
John Hutchison wrote:

> A search on http://www.halleonard.com revealed the following additional
> info:
>
> $19.95 (US)
> Inventory # HL 690443
> ISBN: 0634021524
> UPC: 73999670653
> Width: 9
> Length: 12
> 72 pages

Also from the site: http://www.halleonard.com/pdf/herald.pdf page
13
(requires Acrobat Reader installed)

"Our matching folio to Frank Zappa’s influential
first solo album features note-for-note transcriptions
with tab for all six songs, lots of
photos, and an intro by and album cover courtesy
of Matt Groening."

Hmmm. That's strange. I thought Cal did the cover to that one.

Denis Griffin

Feb 19, 2001, 7:17:19 PM2/19/01
Patrick Neve wrote:

> I'm having trouble getting news right now, so I don't know if this has been
> mentioned yet, but the Hot Rats tab book is finally out! I found it on Ebay and
> was so surprised I bought it on the spot.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1410471247
>
> You could probably get another copy from the seller, though. They look like a
> big sheet music supplier. Call 'em up and get you one. I can't wait!

While on the subject of songbooks, I have a FZ songbook from 1982
published by Amsco Publications (Germany) ISBN 3-88393-108-X. Was this
an "official" songbook or was it published without permission?

R. Kane

Feb 20, 2001, 2:10:27 AM2/20/01
On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:19:19 -0500, Michael Gula <mike...@erols.com>
wrote:

>Also from the site: http://www.halleonard.com/pdf/herald.pdf page
>13

>"Our matching folio to Frank Zappa’s influential

>first solo album features note-for-note transcriptions
>with tab for all six songs, lots of
>photos, and an intro by and album cover courtesy
>of Matt Groening."

>Hmmm. That's strange. I thought Cal did the cover to that one.

Could they mean the folio cover, not the album cover?

I always appreciate seeing the Hal Leonard Company's name because it
reminds me of my youth. My family's home for the first 13 years of my
life was located only a half of a city block south of their corporate
headquarters. During my formative years they were operating out of a
nondescript white concrete block building and I didn't know what type
of business they were. Must have seen a sign but it never registered
with me.

Where their current building is located (as in the photo on their
webpage at http://www.halleonard.com/about_main.jsp) used to be an
abandoned house that my friends and I climbed all over. There used to
be an area of the property that had heavy vegetation and it was sort
of our hideout. I remember seeing some of my first Playboy and porno
magazines in that 'hideout'. Ah, the wonders of an idyllic youth.

I think I first learned of what business Hal Leonard was in when I
purchased Zappalog decades ago and saw that it was printed by them.

--
N(re)R - Frank Zappa: The Negative Dialectics of Poodle Play
by Ben Watson

John Hutchison

Feb 24, 2001, 5:47:08 AM2/24/01
UK fans take note...

The Hot Rats TAB book is not yet commercially available in the UK. The
current state of play is that the distributers' reps have only just received
their sample copies (presumably from a limited print run, or shipped in from
the US). The book itself is not yet in the warehouses over here, and will
not be for another 6 weeks or so.

The only way to get a copy before this time is to be friendly enough with
one of the reps to be able to _borrow_ their copy, or to get one of the US
print run. I'm not sure how far ahead reviewers etc., receive their
_promotional_ copies, so Adrian - you might be seeing one of these soon!

So save your feet UK folks, walking round all the music stores in your home
town ain't gonna turn up a copy for a while yet...

John
(who's going to have to find something else to occupy his time 'til then)

NP: Chronochromie - Olivier Messiaen

John Hutchison <js.hut...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Lewis Saul

Feb 24, 2001, 4:07:55 PM2/24/01
>John
>(who's going to have to find something else to occupy his time 'til then)

I just ordered it from www.sheetmusicsuperstore.com -- $20 I think. I can't
fucking wait...

ls
(who's wondering what to expect from something in the "guitar tablature"
bin -- especially re: IMBAC...)

Dan Buxbaum

Feb 24, 2001, 8:56:15 PM2/24/01

Lewis Saul wrote:

Sounds good, Lewis, you can tell us what all the mistakes you find are!
(Fu#king guitar tab books.)
--
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in
having new eyes."

John Hutchison

Feb 25, 2001, 6:12:03 AM2/25/01
I'm hoping that it's going to be as good as the transcription of Peaches
that sneaked out in a Guitar (for the practising musician) special a few
years back...

That one was transcribed by Andy Aledort, and all of the essential synth/sax
lines and harmonies were arranged for guitar. It seemed pretty accurate to
me.

John
(who is going to _have_ to wait)

NP: Oiseaux Exotiques by Olivier Messiaen

Lewis Saul <ls...@azstarnet.com> wrote in message

Michael Gula

Feb 25, 2001, 10:52:52 AM2/25/01
John Hutchison wrote:

> I'm hoping that it's going to be as good as the transcription of Peaches
> that sneaked out in a Guitar (for the practising musician) special a few
> years back...
>
> That one was transcribed by Andy Aledort, and all of the essential synth/sax
> lines and harmonies were arranged for guitar. It seemed pretty accurate to
> me.

Partly yes.
Partly no.

Dan Buxbaum

Feb 25, 2001, 1:37:20 PM2/25/01
John Hutchison wrote:

Well, that's got to be better than the lame blues combo I saw Andy play with a
few weeks ago!

--
"But as far as I know, they may be trying to wrap me in cellophane and
sell me; brothers help me, and don't worry about looking at the score."

Lewis Saul

Feb 25, 2001, 7:21:11 PM2/25/01
John Hutchison wrote in message ...

>I'm hoping that it's going to be as good as the transcription of Peaches
>that sneaked out in a Guitar (for the practising musician) special a few
>years back...

Other than the head of Gumbo and WTP, Peaches is certainly the least complex
of the six tracks.

I'm so curious as to what I'm going to get. A complete transcription (in
tab?!) of the solos? A complete transcription of ALL the shit that's going
on in Umbrellas and IMBAC?

I suspect it will be good and useful -- but I have my doubts any of these
transcriptions will approach the level of detail and accuracy of my own.

There I said it. Review to follow.

ls

Michael Gula

Feb 25, 2001, 10:01:01 PM2/25/01
Lewis Saul wrote:

> I'm so curious as to what I'm going to get. A complete transcription (in
> tab?!) of the solos? A complete transcription of ALL the shit that's going
> on in Umbrellas and IMBAC?

And using which mix?

On the CDs, you can't even hear a lot of what's going on.

Lewis Saul

Feb 26, 2001, 1:11:31 AM2/26/01
>And using which mix?
>
>On the CDs, you can't even hear a lot of what's going on.

Which always confused me, as Frank claimed that it was the LP medium which
was unable to handle the mix which ended up on the CD [which I, despite
zillions of sincere attempts, still find inferior to the original...]

Lewis Saul

Feb 26, 2001, 1:14:18 AM2/26/01
>transcriptions will approach the level of detail and accuracy of my own.

I should make it clear that I know of *at least* one other individual who
has beautifully transcribed Umbrella and Camel in detail...

You know who you are and I salute you.

Michael Gula

Feb 26, 2001, 12:51:51 AM2/26/01
Lewis Saul wrote:

> I'm so curious as to what I'm going to get. A complete transcription (in
> tab?!) of the solos? A complete transcription of ALL the shit that's going
> on in Umbrellas and IMBAC?

I'd be very disappointed if I bought the book and didn't find
Sugar Cane Harris's violin solo notated in "violin tab"...four
lines with numbers to indicate the finger positions along with
bowing marks. Wouldn't that be unprecedented in all of notational
history?

And what about Ian Underwood's sax solo? Let's have a "tab" with
a line to represent each valve -- a black dot to indicate
"closed" and a white dot to indicate "open." I believe I've seen
music written for recorder that used a scheme similar to this.

Why bother learning to read that silly conventional notation
anyway? Tabs are good enough.

Denis Griffin

Feb 26, 2001, 7:14:06 AM2/26/01
Michael Gula wrote:

> I'd be very disappointed if I bought the book and didn't find
> Sugar Cane Harris's violin solo notated in "violin tab"...four
> lines with numbers to indicate the finger positions along with
> bowing marks. Wouldn't that be unprecedented in all of notational
> history?
>
> And what about Ian Underwood's sax solo? Let's have a "tab" with
> a line to represent each valve -- a black dot to indicate
> "closed" and a white dot to indicate "open." I believe I've seen
> music written for recorder that used a scheme similar to this.

It is advertised in the "Guitar Recorded Versions" section. And the
price is $19.95. So I'm not setting my hopes to high. But you never
know.

I went to the music store Friday and I ordered a copy. They told me it
will take 2 weeks to get it.

John Hutchison

Feb 26, 2001, 4:02:28 PM2/26/01

Michael Gula wrote

> I'd be very disappointed if I bought the book and didn't find
> Sugar Cane Harris's violin solo notated in "violin tab"...four
> lines with numbers to indicate the finger positions along with
> bowing marks. Wouldn't that be unprecedented in all of notational
> history?
>
> And what about Ian Underwood's sax solo? Let's have a "tab" with
> a line to represent each valve -- a black dot to indicate
> "closed" and a white dot to indicate "open." I believe I've seen
> music written for recorder that used a scheme similar to this.
>
> Why bother learning to read that silly conventional notation
> anyway? Tabs are good enough.

Everyone knows that TAB is far superior to that stupid EGBDF stuff - it's
far better at notating all of the stuff that rock guitarists do, which as
everyone knows, is the ultimate pinnacle of all music. And it's better at
depicting rhythmic durations - just measure the space between the notes.
Besides, if TAB didn't help people learn music, then we wouldn't have AC/DC
would we? ;)

John
(who is)

NP: Sequenza I - Luciano Berio

Lewis Saul

Feb 26, 2001, 5:18:33 PM2/26/01

>NP: Sequenza I - Luciano Berio

Whoa, lots of great NP's these days! The flute Sequenza isn't first by
accident. It really sets the "tone" for all the rest that follow...

I love 'em all -- but this one and IX (clarinet) are two of my all-time
favorite pieces...