The Mothers' inner conflict?

1 view

Dirk Van de moortel

Dec 22, 2009, 1:07:08 PM12/22/09
On the 2nd DVD of (the truly excellent) "Clapton and Winwood Live from
Madison Square Garden (2009)"
( http://www.amazon.com/Live-Madison-Square-Garden-Clapton/dp/B001XJEKGC )
Clapton is talking about a concert with Blind Faith.
At 19:30 the film shows part of the front page of the issue of "Disc and MUSIC
Echo" of June 14, 1969.

There's a little article going like:

| The Mothers' inner conflict.
|
| FOR THOSE (and there were many in the audience) who went
| to the Albert Hall on Friday expecting to see Frank Zappa as a
| musical Che Guevara, the evening was a vast disappointment.
| For those who expected to see the Mothers as an Underground version
| of the Bonzo Dog Band, or laugh along with the jolly anti-establishment

And that's all there is to see.
Snapshot: http://users.telenet.be/vdmoortel/dirk/Stuff/MothersInnerConflict.jpg

I'm very interested in finding out how the article continued.
Any idea anyone?

Dirk Vdm

KayCee71

Dec 22, 2009, 4:11:06 PM12/22/09
On Dec 22, 1:07 pm, "Dirk Van de moortel"

Okay, here's my take on it, as I was lucky enough to have met FZ in
his home & found that what most people thought/think of him was always
highly exaggerated for being "freaky." Albeit, I wasn't even a shiver
in my father's loins in 1969, I'm guessing that many of the audience
expected Zappa to be some sort of outrageous, ethereal, & quite testy
performance. Rather than expecting fantastic music, they expected a
sort of "freak show" with lots of horrible things being said about
world government with a heapin' helpin' of lunacy, perhaps on the par
of a sort of misfit circus. This is something that was still assumed,
if not expected in the 1980s, when I was first exposed to Zappa. I
find it somewhat pathetic that many folks didn't respect the music &
wanted some "far out" experience instead. Frank Zappa never got the
recognition he deserved solely for his music until it was too late &
had so many ill conceived ideas brought about by the typical
propaganda of the media whereupon they would focus on "those wacky
names he gave his kids" & other bullshit, so I am guessing because
Frank & the Mothers didn't just pound on their instruments & shit in a
hat, most who went to see that show were let down. If only I could
have a time machine & go back to see the shows I was much too young,
or not even alive yet, just to hear him & the musicians of his
different bands play, perhaps there would be a better article written
from a music fan's opinions instead of those "FREAK ME OUT FRANK"
sorts... This of course is my own humble opinion & being that it
would be about 1 year & 11 months before I was born when this
interview was done, perhaps someone who saw him at this show or at
least around that time could explain it better.
Kerry

Dirk Van de moortel

Dec 22, 2009, 5:15:48 PM12/22/09
KayCee71 <kayc...@gmail.com> wrote in message