Dune Encyclopedia

Markus

Nov 4, 2001, 8:55:52 AM11/4/01
Why is the Dune Encyclopedia out of print everywhere? It's so expensive to
buy it second-hand.

Zip_Vortex42

Nov 5, 2001, 11:24:56 PM11/5/01

"Markus" <ha...@nef.wh.uni-dortmund.de> wrote in message

> Why is the Dune Encyclopedia out of print everywhere? It's so expensive to
> buy it second-hand.

Slaps forehead!..... Not again!!!!!!!!!

Isn't there a archive we could direct pholks to? LoL

In answer.... basically, the publishers don't feel there is enough demand,
even for the costs of a small print run....

Ebook versions are available (I dunno where... try your average filesharing
program) and people here are split as to whether this is good or not due to
the fact that its author is still with us (some say literally), and it may
impact his income somehow... I don't think so myself... its out of print...
there are no plans to reprint... as far as Im concerned... its up for grabs.

But then... There are much more devout fans of Herberts series here than
I!... and they may think otherwise... (and I respect their beliefs
wholeheartedly!)

Hope that'll bring you up to speed

Paul.

Willis E. McNelly

Nov 23, 2001, 2:43:10 PM11/23/01
In article <3be76...@mk-nntp-1.news.uk.worldonline.com>, "Zip_Vortex42"
<zip...@UndisclosedLocation.JustTryIt.com> wrote:

Not only am I still alive literally, but I am in active negotiations with
a publisher to bring out a reprint. Stay tuned.

How often do I have to repeat: while money does mean something to me, I am
far far more interested in getting the book back into print than I am in
financial gain.

Dr. McNelly

Willis E. McNelly

Nov 24, 2001, 2:23:35 PM11/24/01

I am currently in active negotiations to have a reprint edition issued.
Stay tuned.

I have alwyas been far more interested in getting the DE back into print
than I am in financial remuneration, although I am not allergic to money.

Dr. McNelly

JWMeritt

Nov 24, 2001, 3:16:14 PM11/24/01
Dr. McNelly wrote:
>Not only am I still alive literally, but I am in active negotiations with
>a publisher to bring out a reprint. Stay tuned.
>
>How often do I have to repeat: while money does mean something to me, I am
>far far more interested in getting the book back into print than I am in
>financial gain.

I wish you luck, and appreciate your sentiments wrt my Mentat's Handbook we
spoke of privately. Let me know - perhaps I'll try again.

V/R

Jim
James W. Meritt, CISSP, CISA

Ivan the Naib

Nov 25, 2001, 10:21:22 AM11/25/01
Dr. McNelly:

I think the question most of us would have is are you going to adapt the
Encylopaedia to accomodate what was said in the prequels, or are you going
to leave it as is?

I tend to think most Dune fans would vote for the latter.

Best Regards, Ivan the Naib

Webmaster, www.dreamersofdune.com

"Willis E. McNelly" <wmcn...@fullerton.edu> wrote in message

John Kenny

Nov 25, 2001, 5:09:00 PM11/25/01

"Ivan the Naib" <webm...@NOSPAMdreamersofdune.com> wrote in message

> Dr. McNelly:
>
> I think the question most of us would have is are you going to adapt the
> Encylopaedia to accomodate what was said in the prequels, or are you going
> to leave it as is?
>
> I tend to think most Dune fans would vote for the latter.
>
> Best Regards, Ivan the Naib

Dear Ivan,

Let me answer on behalf of the good Doctor: No. If the DE is reprinted it
will be just like the original. Nothing will be updated to reflect either
HoD or Ch:D. As to the prequels, if you think Willis is going to adapt the
creative work of himself and many other very talented persons to accommodate
Anderson and Herbert's tripe... well, you don't know the man.

Hope that helps.

John

Ivan the Naib

Nov 25, 2001, 5:25:58 PM11/25/01
I have one thing to say:

"Phew".

Regards, Ivan

Webmaster, www.dreamersofdune.com

"John Kenny" <jke...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Paul Vortex

Nov 25, 2001, 7:20:21 PM11/25/01
This is in reply to Willis McNelly's post to ZipVortex42... I am Zip, I have
changed my handle to Paul Vortex......

Thankyou Kind Doctor for your response.

Nice to hear from you personally on the subject.

I am glad you are attempting to get a reprint arranged and I am sorry if my
comments offended you.I was merely describing the lay of the land on the
newsgroup here... which I'm sure you are aware of, being a subscriber
yourself.

I *do* understand that your hope of reprint is more a labour of love than a
search for financial gain... Most writers feel the same way.

(Pssst.... I don't actually have an Ebook copy of your book.) ;o)

Good luck with the reprint.

Paul Vortex

Zip_Vo...@lineone.net

"There is nothing, save empty space and you...
...and you, are but a thought..."

- Comet Quest