Wertle's turn to rant

Skip to the first unread message

Magic T. Dragon

13 Jul 1998, 03:00:0013/07/1998
Wertle1 wrote:

> everyone has been ranting lately, and it seems like a good way to relieve
> stress, so i thought i'd give it a try, so here goes ::clears her throat::
>
> You know what REEEEAALLy makes me mad?? When people say NUCULAR instead of
> NUCLEAR. Argggg!!! That drives me crazy!! I just want to grab people and say
> "its NUCLEAR!! Nuuu-cleeeee--ar!!!" What's worst of all is that my US History
> teacher says "nucular" and allll through the Cold War section my mun was just
> itching to jump out of her seat and run around screaming "nuclear nuclear
> nuclear!!!!!" ::pauses::
>
> um..i guess that's all...thank you
>
> ~Wertle~
> DC.D f s+ h+ Cshift? a- $-- m- d WL++* Fr- L15t10 Bf(& one secret) e-- g i--u--
> http://members.aol.com/Wertle1/rpg.htm
> "Insanity is the best form of defense against the insane"
> (made that one up myself)

Oh, that drives me nutty, too! I just can't take it when someone keeps saying
'nukular'. It's 'NUCLEAR'!!! Whoo...calm down now...
--
Posted by the one, the only, Magic the dragon! (74% dragon!)
**~~**~~**

DC.D f s++ h++ CWwIrides~W:K^Irides a- $ m d++ WL++* L- Ball e+++ g i+! U-

Lion King Codes v1.51
TLK++ A+ B D- C L Mt++ Ps W S++ Tsncaimprtzhb++++
RLHM a- cn++ e-- h+ iw++ lmx pc++ sf#

----BEGIN_C-ADD_CODE_BLOCK----
Version Number: 1.2.1
AST d s-:+ a--- x! t:- C rC?/c?/B?/N?/E?/O?/o? S--- gQ/W--
W- P--- Gd*:/S--:,SC2k/p-:+/o*:
-----END_C-ADD_CODE_BLOCK-----

Wertle1

14 Jul 1998, 03:00:0014/07/1998

Mercva

14 Jul 1998, 03:00:0014/07/1998
>everyone has been ranting lately, and it seems like a good way to relieve
>stress, so i thought i'd give it a try, so here goes ::clears her throat::
Isnt argueing and being disagreeable FUN?!?

>You know what REEEEAALLy makes me mad?? When people say NUCULAR instead of
>NUCLEAR. Argggg!!! That drives me crazy!! I just want to grab people and say
>"its NUCLEAR!! Nuuu-cleeeee--ar!!!" What's worst of all is that my US History
>teacher says "nucular" and allll through the Cold War section my mun was just
>itching to jump out of her seat and run around screaming "nuclear nuclear
>nuclear!!!!!" ::pauses::

<grin> A scholar in our midst? I dont know anyone who says 'nucular'.
If I was to rant about something, it'd probably be about computer
illiterate people who type at the rate of one...key...stroke...a
minute and ask "What now?" every ten seconds, instead of trying to
figure it out themselves (RTFM? I dont do no stinkin' RTFM!) and
generally waste other peoples valuable time, both on-computer and off.
Oh, and ComputerStudies teachers who would like everyone to be nice
little automated robots who can take dictation or do nice looking
docs, and teach everything when they're driven to it... Oh well, with
that sort you can 'explore the system', just like the orignal hackers
did. And catch up on your reading, while twidlling your thumbs.

I know, that wasnt very nice... It's just the way I feel about this.
As always, carboncopy if you reply to this :-)

>um..i guess that's all...thank you

Ditto

>~Wertle~

-Mercva
"Indirect tactics, efficiently applied, are inexhausible
as Heaven and Earth.." The Art of War, Sun Tzu
ala...@clear.net.nz - Please CC as I may miss msgs specfically for me!
www.geocities.com/Area51/Dungeon/1814/

Tempest

14 Jul 1998, 03:00:0014/07/1998

>If I was to rant about something, it'd probably be about computer
>illiterate people who type at the rate of one...key...stroke...a
>minute and ask "What now?" every ten seconds, instead of trying to
>figure it out themselves

Hehe...my fav subject....my mom does that...she clicks...then starts
to whine. Liiiiiiiiiiisa where the any key I don't know what it is
how come it's doing this!?!?! Liiiiiiiiiiiiisa what noooooooowwwww?
"read the screen" oh...now what..."do what it tells you"
ohhh....Liiiiiiiiiisa how do I do this."it's in your book" I don't
wanna go back and check just show me... NOw that is something
annoying...if you want to learn something THINK!!! *growl grin* don't
expect the answers to come easily....I hate when people do that...
--
Tempest Shimmer
DC.D f s-- h+++ CQ:DB a- $ m d+++ WL++* Fr L BF e g i! u!

Taleea Tyree

14 Jul 1998, 03:00:0014/07/1998
My spies inform me that, on Tue, 14 Jul 1998 17:40:21 GMT,
x-ph...@prodigy.net (Tempest), hiding under the bedcovers, scribbled
in the following in their diary:

>>If I was to rant about something, it'd probably be about computer
>>illiterate people who type at the rate of one...key...stroke...a
>>minute and ask "What now?" every ten seconds, instead of trying to
>>figure it out themselves

>Hehe...my fav subject....my mom does that...she clicks...then starts
>to whine. Liiiiiiiiiiisa where the any key I don't know what it is
>how come it's doing this!?!?! Liiiiiiiiiiiiisa what noooooooowwwww?
>"read the screen" oh...now what..."do what it tells you"
>ohhh....Liiiiiiiiiisa how do I do this."it's in your book" I don't
>wanna go back and check just show me... NOw that is something
>annoying...if you want to learn something THINK!!! *growl grin* don't
>expect the answers to come easily....I hate when people do that...

"That, I feel, is the true definition of computer illiteracy ... being
too frightened to try anything on one's own because one is SO POSITIVE
that computers must be difficult, or because one is afraid that one
will break it. I can think of no other explanation. My mother does
this as well, and I remember her completely panicking when I changed
the wallpaper on her workstation ... apparently she was convinced that
changing the background from the blue-sky-with-white-clouds deleted
Windows 95.

"In the mandatory 'basic computing' course I took in high school, I
ended up as the assistant teacher, running around telling people that
'Do you want to save your work?' means that the computer is asking if
you want to save your work. I do not understand why it is that so
many people seem to believe that the computer is attempting to deceive
them!

"Then again, those who exhibit the opposite tendency can be even more
annoying. My father is of this type. 'No! NO! You just reformatted
the hard drive!' 'How did that happen?' 'It asked you four times,
'are you sure you want to reformat the hard drive,' and you said yes
four times!"

Taleea breaks down crying.

--
Taleea Tyree
rai...@gate.10treasures.net (drop ten treasures to e-mail)

sparklefaerie

15 Jul 1998, 03:00:0015/07/1998

>"That, I feel, is the true definition of computer illiteracy ... being
>too frightened to try anything on one's own because one is SO POSITIVE
>that computers must be difficult, or because one is afraid that one
>will break it. I can think of no other explanation. My mother does
>this as well, and I remember her completely panicking when I changed
>the wallpaper on her workstation ... apparently she was convinced that
>changing the background from the blue-sky-with-white-clouds deleted
>Windows 95.

<*giggle*> i think my family is pretty much resigned to the fact that we
have a bright weird cartoon girlie as our background. :)

>"In the mandatory 'basic computing' course I took in high school, I
>ended up as the assistant teacher, running around telling people that
>'Do you want to save your work?' means that the computer is asking if
>you want to save your work. I do not understand why it is that so
>many people seem to believe that the computer is attempting to deceive
>them!

i really don't understand why peeps think computers are so difficult to
use, esp. w/ windows95. i mean, everything is *labelled* you c'n click
on "help" if you get stuck. it's not difficult to work out on yr own if
you sit there for a little while and just click on things, is it? that's
what i do when someone decides to put a weird new program on our pooter.

>"Then again, those who exhibit the opposite tendency can be even more
>annoying. My father is of this type. 'No! NO! You just reformatted
>the hard drive!' 'How did that happen?' 'It asked you four times,
>'are you sure you want to reformat the hard drive,' and you said yes
>four times!"

my father is just *slow* really. he will sit there for five minutes
reading through the little error messages before finally, slooooowly,
clinking the "okay" button. aargh. at least he's computer-literate, tho.
:)

my mum's getting better. she knows how to use print artist and maybe a
word processor now.. and doesn't ask me what to do *every* second. :)
what is REALLY scary, tho, is that she works at a primary school and all
the teachers and classroom assistants have to do some IT w/ the kids...
she tells me that she is the only one of them who knows ANYTHING at all
abt how to work the computers. ack. :)

>Taleea breaks down crying.

rae

****** "i don't really miss god//but i sure miss santa claws.." -hole *****
delirium: www.stormi.demon.co.uk ********* MLP: www.stormi.demon.co.uk/MLP/
********* email: jude [at] stormi [dot] demon [dot] co [dot] uk **********

Buckbuddy

15 Jul 1998, 03:00:0015/07/1998

sparklefaerie wrote

>>"That, I feel, is the true definition of computer illiteracy ... being
>>too frightened to try anything on one's own because one is SO POSITIVE
>>that computers must be difficult, or because one is afraid that one
>>will break it. I can think of no other explanation. My mother does
>>this as well, and I remember her completely panicking when I changed
>>the wallpaper on her workstation ... apparently she was convinced that
>>changing the background from the blue-sky-with-white-clouds deleted
>>Windows 95.
><*giggle*> i think my family is pretty much resigned to the fact that we
>have a bright weird cartoon girlie as our background. :)

That's why I have my own computer. That way I can change the friggin
backgeround to anything I want! Right now it's a picture that I obtained of
the net of the movie, "The Last Unicorn" (of course)

>i really don't understand why peeps think computers are so difficult to
>use, esp. w/ windows95. i mean, everything is *labelled* you c'n click
>on "help" if you get stuck. it's not difficult to work out on yr own if
>you sit there for a little while and just click on things, is it? that's
>what i do when someone decides to put a weird new program on our pooter.

You should see my mother! Just the other day, she went calling for me to
help her. she couldn't figure out how to access the email adress book so
that it would automatically put the adress she wanted to send it to in the
"to" box. She said that someone had showed her but she forgot. I had no
idea how, I don't use the adress book, so I sighed and tried one thing.
Didn't work so I tried another. That worked. Wasn't that hard at all.
Like she couldn't have figured it out herself!!

>my father is just *slow* really. he will sit there for five minutes
>reading through the little error messages before finally, slooooowly,
>clinking the "okay" button. aargh. at least he's computer-literate, tho.
>:)

Same here! My father is a computer literate guy, he taught me most of what
I know about computers (the rest I figured out myself) but when he's working
on the computer and say a warning sign pops up, I can usually manage to read
the whole warning and say, "just clik OK, dad" two times before he clicks
OK. And I don't either read nor speak uickly. Maybe it's just a dad thing.

-------
Tarpan
"Just because people don't see it, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist"

Tarpan:
DC.U f--- s--- df+++ Cg^k a(u+++ h-) $-- m WL++ Fr-- e+++ i--
Just a note: I'm both Tarpan and Double. If I'm Tarpan, it will say
"Tarpan" above in the sig, but if I'm Double, it will say "Double". Should
I be both, then it will say both's names, should I be the kids, then it will
say the kids, etc. etc.
Double:
DC.D f s--- h Ca a(d h-) $ m+-+ o++ d++ WL++* Fr-- L BF e g- i

Come visit me at:
http:/www.geocities.com/~buckbuddy

Cerulean

16 Jul 1998, 03:00:0016/07/1998
On 14 Jul 1998 02:18:39 GMT, wer...@aol.com (Wertle1) wrote:

>everyone has been ranting lately, and it seems like a good way to relieve
>stress, so i thought i'd give it a try, so here goes ::clears her throat::
>

>You know what REEEEAALLy makes me mad?? When people say NUCULAR instead of
>NUCLEAR. Argggg!!! That drives me crazy!! I just want to grab people and say
>"its NUCLEAR!! Nuuu-cleeeee--ar!!!" What's worst of all is that my US History
>teacher says "nucular" and allll through the Cold War section my mun was just
>itching to jump out of her seat and run around screaming "nuclear nuclear
>nuclear!!!!!" ::pauses::
>

>um..i guess that's all...thank you

Oh, yes. And "asterick." That's another one that gets under my scales.

--
___vvz /( Cerulean http://home.att.net/~kevinpease
<__,` Z / ( DC.D/? fs+h++ Gm CB^P a$m++d+++l*g-e!i

H. Kinetic

16 Jul 1998, 03:00:0016/07/1998
Cerulean <kevin...@worldnet.att.net> wrote
> On 14 Jul 1998 02:18:39 GMT, wer...@aol.com (Wertle1) wrote:
<snip>

> > You know what REEEEAALLy makes me mad?? When people
> > say NUCULAR instead of NUCLEAR. Argggg!!! That drives me
> > crazy!! I just want to grab people and say "its NUCLEAR!!
> > Nuuu-cleeeee--ar!!!"

*LOL* Somehow this just strikes me as funny in an "unhinged
military fanatic" kinda way...

<snip>

> Oh, yes. And "asterick." That's another one that gets under my scales

<snip>

AsterWHAT? *g* Nope, I haven't heard THAT particular take on
the Queen's English yet. During my past two years on the Gulf
coast of the U.S., where, as a New England native, I have a
heightened sensitivity to local malaprops, I've come across

"PILLcles" = pickles

"conversate" = v., to chat with others

"juice" = oil and vinegar dressing (is it obvious that I work in
foodservice...?
*g*)

"'IGHT" =alright, OK, and;

"vinekuh" =vinegar

HK >^..^<
--
Member SDS
http://www.geocities.com/Wellesley/Garden/1420/happy.html

Sam

16 Jul 1998, 03:00:0016/07/1998
On 16 Jul 1998, H. Kinetic wrote:

> "conversate" = v., to chat with others

That's a pretty good word, correct derivation etc. I like that sort of
thing :)

--quen

* * *
* Gathering - magazine of high-quality dragonlance short stories.
* you could be a part! submission deadline: August 25th
* http://www.poboxes.com/Gathering/

Wertle1

16 Jul 1998, 03:00:0016/07/1998
>> "conversate" = v., to chat with others
>
>That's a pretty good word, correct derivation etc. I like that sort of
>thing :)
>
>--quen

hmm....I prefer "converse"....that is the correct way isn't it?

Sam

16 Jul 1998, 03:00:0016/07/1998
On 16 Jul 1998, Wertle1 wrote:

> >> "conversate" = v., to chat with others
> >
> >That's a pretty good word, correct derivation etc. I like that sort of
> >thing :)
>

> hmm....I prefer "converse"....that is the correct way isn't it?

Well, it's the traditional word, yes. But "conversate" is what you do to
produce a conversation in the same sense that "innovate" is what you do to
produce an innovation, so it's a neat reverse-derivation or something ;)

--quen

Cerulean

17 Jul 1998, 03:00:0017/07/1998
On 16 Jul 1998 07:20:16 GMT, "H. Kinetic" <ghul...@nastything.com>
wrote:

>> Oh, yes. And "asterick." That's another one that gets under my scales
>

> AsterWHAT? *g* Nope, I haven't heard THAT particular take on
>the Queen's English yet. During my past two years on the Gulf
>coast of the U.S., where, as a New England native, I have a
>heightened sensitivity to local malaprops, I've come across

You've got to be kidding. I have yet to encounter anyone, outside of
my family and a few intelligent friends, who can be bothered to try to
pronounce "asterisk" correctly. Apparently it's just too difficult to
get all the consonants in.

Though it required working for a military contractor for me to
encounter "ect." I had to ask what it stood for; these majors writing
their slides threw technical abbreviations everywhere, and it could
have been anything.
It stands for "ecsetra." I'm sure that to this day, he thinks I was
the clueless one.

Wertle1

17 Jul 1998, 03:00:0017/07/1998

>Though it required working for a military contractor for me to
>encounter "ect." I had to ask what it stood for; these majors writing
>their slides threw technical abbreviations everywhere, and it could
>have been anything.
>It stands for "ecsetra." I'm sure that to this day, he thinks I was
>the clueless one.

i've always been in the middle of a strange argument over whether the correct
abbreviation for that is ect or etc...i used to write ect until someone pointed
out it was the latter, but just as i got used to etc someone else came along
and said i was writing it wrong. Oh the confusion!

Taleea Tyree

17 Jul 1998, 03:00:0017/07/1998
My spies inform me that, on 17 Jul 1998 12:24:32 GMT, wer...@aol.com
(Wertle1), hiding under the bedcovers, scribbled in the following in
their diary:

>>Though it required working for a military contractor for me to

>>encounter "ect." I had to ask what it stood for; these majors writing
>>their slides threw technical abbreviations everywhere, and it could
>>have been anything.
>>It stands for "ecsetra." I'm sure that to this day, he thinks I was
>>the clueless one.

>i've always been in the middle of a strange argument over whether the correct
>abbreviation for that is ect or etc...i used to write ect until someone pointed
>out it was the latter, but just as i got used to etc someone else came along
>and said i was writing it wrong. Oh the confusion!

The trick to that one is just spelling it out in your mind -- "et
cetera" minus the "etera" leaves "etc.", but it's one of those things
that once someone gets it wrong they will defend it no matter what!

Cerulean

18 Jul 1998, 03:00:0018/07/1998
On 17 Jul 1998 12:24:32 GMT, wer...@aol.com (Wertle1) wrote:

>>Though it required working for a military contractor for me to
>>encounter "ect." I had to ask what it stood for; these majors writing
>>their slides threw technical abbreviations everywhere, and it could
>>have been anything.
>>It stands for "ecsetra." I'm sure that to this day, he thinks I was
>>the clueless one.
>
>i've always been in the middle of a strange argument over whether the correct
>abbreviation for that is ect or etc...i used to write ect until someone pointed
>out it was the latter, but just as i got used to etc someone else came along
>and said i was writing it wrong. Oh the confusion!

All you have to know is that it's "et cetera." A lot of people
pronounce it wrong, as in my example above. But just remember that
"et" means "and." The ampersand (&) symbol evolved from the word "et,"
and you can still see it in many of the various versions of the
symbol. In fact, there are some books that use "&c." instead of "etc."

Cerulean, purple cape waving in the breeze

--
___vvz /( Cerulean http://home.att.net/~kevinpease
<__,` Z / ( DC.D/? fs+h++ Gm CB^P a$m++d+++l*g-e!i
`~~~) )Z) ( FDDmp4adwsA+++$C*D>+HM-P-RT+++WZ?Sm#

/ (7 ( JaH)s3--,,+seaq a+eu!+sqo ue s! uo6eJp s!y+ +nq,,

Sam

18 Jul 1998, 03:00:0018/07/1998
On Sat, 18 Jul 1998, Cerulean wrote:

> All you have to know is that it's "et cetera." A lot of people
> pronounce it wrong, as in my example above. But just remember that
> "et" means "and." The ampersand (&) symbol evolved from the word "et,"
> and you can still see it in many of the various versions of the
> symbol. In fact, there are some books that use "&c." instead of "etc."

Also, note that "etc." is correctly written just like that (as Cerulean
did) and not, as some people write "e.t.c.".

(Ideally, you always include the dot to indicate the abbreviation, but
writing "etc" without the dot isn't as terrible a mistake as adding those
extra ones.)

--quen

Chris Kennedy

19 Jul 1998, 03:00:0019/07/1998
wrote:

>Cerulean <kevin...@worldnet.att.net> wrote

>> On 14 Jul 1998 02:18:39 GMT, wer...@aol.com (Wertle1) wrote:
><snip>
>> > You know what REEEEAALLy makes me mad?? When people
>> > say NUCULAR instead of NUCLEAR. Argggg!!! That drives me
>> > crazy!! I just want to grab people and say "its NUCLEAR!!
>> > Nuuu-cleeeee--ar!!!"
>
>*LOL* Somehow this just strikes me as funny in an "unhinged
>military fanatic" kinda way...

*Grin* I had a student teacher in English a few years back who said
nucular all the time. This was the same one who told us that when we
were doing our presentations, we should "pronunciate" our words. I
wasn't sure if that was supposed to mean enunciate (dunno if that's
how it's spelled...) or pronounce or what... She said all kinds of
things in weird ways.

><snip>

>> Oh, yes. And "asterick." That's another one that gets under my scales

><snip>

Yup. I know very few people who pronunce it right. Everybody says
Asterix, like the cartoon character... Anybody else know um... Asterix
and... um Obelix or something like that? Comic in french, methinks...
when I was little my dad used to read them to us. Translated, of
course, since I know no french. I dunno what's wrong with peoples,
they can't say "asterisk" that sk sound just kills 'em.

<snip>

>"conversate" = v., to chat with others

*Grins* I've heard that one too...

>"juice" = oil and vinegar dressing (is it obvious that I work in
>foodservice...?
>*g*)
>
>"'IGHT" =alright, OK, and;

Hm... I usually hear... um... how to type this... ah-ight with the
"ah" and the "i" sorta slurred together. Like alright with the l and r
taken out.

<snip>

--
Lyr
.sigless

Buckbuddy

19 Jul 1998, 03:00:0019/07/1998

Chris Kennedy wrote

>Yup. I know very few people who pronunce it right. Everybody says
>Asterix, like the cartoon character... Anybody else know um... Asterix
>and... um Obelix or something like that? Comic in french, methinks...
>when I was little my dad used to read them to us. Translated, of
>course, since I know no french. I dunno what's wrong with peoples,
>they can't say "asterisk" that sk sound just kills 'em.

Asterix! I know them. French is the second language of choice in my family
(me being the odd ball out in this, since I've been learning German) so I
know all about Asterix. Amusing though, in Germany, there were alot of
German Asterix comics and books in flea markets. Saw tons of smurfs too.
Hmmm.

Anyways, As long as we are on the topic of pronunciation, you shoulda seen
my mother trying to pronounce certain German words. 'Twas funny. Richtig
(meaning right as in correct) is the one that got her most. Easiest way to
pronouce it is rishtish while trying to "swallow" the "sh"s. She coudn't do
it for the life of her! That followed with lots of words that you'd have to
move your toung from front of the mouth to the back quickly. Fortunately,
Germans are forgiving about their language. Thank heavens we weren't in
France.

-------
Tarpan
"Just because people don't see it, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist"

Tarpan:
DC.U f--- s--- df+++ Cg^k a(u+++ h-) $-- m WL++ Fr-- e+++ i--
Just a note: I'm both Tarpan and Double. If I'm Tarpan, it will say
"Tarpan" above in the sig, but if I'm Double, it will say "Double". Should
I be both, then it will say both's names, should I be the kids, then it will
say the kids, etc. etc.
Double:
DC.D f s--- h Ca a(d h-) $ m+-+ o++ d++ WL++* Fr-- L BF e g- i

Come visit me at:
http://www.geocities.com/~buckbuddy

Arcturax

19 Jul 1998, 03:00:0019/07/1998
In article <35b1543d...@news.erols.com>, lyrd...@godgeocities.com
(Chris Kennedy) wrote:

> *Grin* I had a student teacher in English a few years back who said
> nucular all the time. This was the same one who told us that when we
> were doing our presentations, we should "pronunciate" our words. I
> wasn't sure if that was supposed to mean enunciate (dunno if that's
> how it's spelled...) or pronounce or what... She said all kinds of
> things in weird ways.

You want bad???

I once had a hick of a substitute teacher (well, it was a substitute, but
it was still funny) who prounounced incandecent light bulb as
in-candy-scent lite bub.

It was a RIOT!

--
Arcturax Kenderdragon
Email: Arcturax_k...@aol.com

THE BOX SAID "REQUIRES WINDOWS 95 OR BETTER"
SO I BOUGHT A MACINTOSH

Wertle1

19 Jul 1998, 03:00:0019/07/1998
>You want bad???
>
>I once had a hick of a substitute teacher (well, it was a substitute, but
>it was still funny) who prounounced incandecent light bulb as
>in-candy-scent lite bub.
>
>It was a RIOT!

hehe, i had a geometry teacher who retained a rather odd accent, i'm not sure
where from. Anyway, she'd always pronounce "equilateral": "eekwee-lateral". I
don't know if it annoyed anyone else, but i dreaded discussion of equilateral
or equiangular triangles

Sigridir

20 Jul 1998, 03:00:0020/07/1998

Wertle1 <wer...@aol.com> wrote in article
<199807191928...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...
> >You want bad???

> hehe, i had a geometry teacher who retained a rather odd accent, i'm not
sure
> where from. Anyway, she'd always pronounce "equilateral":
"eekwee-lateral". I
> don't know if it annoyed anyone else, but i dreaded discussion of
equilateral
> or equiangular triangles

As opposed to what?

As far as I'm concerned it is pronounced ee-kwee-lateral! However I'm
British...

My most annoying pronunciations are...

Lieutenant: loo-tenant instead of lef-tenant

Iran and Iraq: Eye-ran and Eye-raq not Ee-ran and Ee-raq

aluminium: aloo-min-um rather than al-you-min-ee-um

It's silly, but they really grate!

However my own favourite was a mispronunciation of my surname: Flaherty. It
should be pronounced literally as 'fla-her-tea'. People always get it wrong
though. My (adopted) little sister caused much mirth when she proudly
announced that she was going to be a member of the 'Flat-titty' family...

Sigridir
--
"The Britons thought they were more intelligent than the Americans because
the

Chris Kennedy

20 Jul 1998, 03:00:0020/07/1998
On 19 Jul 1998 19:28:20 GMT, wer...@aol.com (Wertle1) wrote:
<snip>
>hehe, i had a geometry teacher who retained a rather odd accent, i'm not sure
>where from. Anyway, she'd always pronounce "equilateral": "eekwee-lateral". I
>don't know if it annoyed anyone else, but i dreaded discussion of equilateral
>or equiangular triangles

ooh... speaking of math teachers... My precalc teacher couldn't say
asymptote to save his life. He pronounced it "asspimutote" or
something. And my geometry teacher (is there something about geometry
teachers? ;-) pronounced a ton of things weirdly, though it was more
just the way he spoke than mispronouncing them... but he said
perpendicular like per'endiclar and calc'lator and homerk... I
remember this far too well, because this one kid in my class did an
impression of him that was _way_ too good. ;-)

--
Lyr
lyrdragon at geocities dot com

H. Kinetic

20 Jul 1998, 03:00:0020/07/1998
Chris Kennedy <lyrd...@godgeocities.com> wrote
> On 19 Jul 1998 19:28:20 GMT, wer...@aol.com (Wertle1) wrote:
> <snip>
> >hehe, i had a geometry teacher who retained a rather odd accent, i'm not
sure
> >where from. Anyway, she'd always pronounce "equilateral":
"eekwee-lateral
<snip>

> ooh... speaking of math teachers... My precalc teacher couldn't say
> asymptote to save his life. He pronounced it "asspimutote" or
> something. And my geometry teacher (is there something about geometry
> teachers? ;-) pronounced a ton of things weirdly, though it was more
> just the way he spoke than mispronouncing them...
<snip>
> Lyr

*LOL* What -IS- it about math teachers....?!? Not only have I
had quite a few math teachers who mutilated accepted
pronounciations of words (if not made up their own out of
whole cloth), I had several math teachers in high school
who were just really, really WEIRD in every possible sense
of the word. One of them insisted on making cutesy
diminutives of words-- she called quizzes "quizzies" and
(I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP!) tests "testes." } 8-)
I think there's just something about people who want
to pursue math as a career, but aren't intelligent enough to
teach/research at the college level. My collegiate math
teachers are no weirder, on average, than other teachers..
} ;-)

Tensions in our lives that are attacking our minds
Unite themselves together to make our consciousness blind
Conditioned to self interest with emotions locked away
If that's what they call normal, I'd rather be INSAAANE!
Operation Ivy, "Here We Go Again"

Peter Sayer

20 Jul 1998, 03:00:0020/07/1998

Sigridir <a...@dircon.co.uk> wrote in article
<01bdb373$e13faee0$f33a70c2@default>...
<snip>

> As opposed to what?
>
> As far as I'm concerned it is pronounced ee-kwee-lateral! However I'm
> British...

Just thinking that myself...

> My most annoying pronunciations are...
>
> Lieutenant: loo-tenant instead of lef-tenant

I used to pronounce it like that... <wince>

> Iran and Iraq: Eye-ran and Eye-raq not Ee-ran and Ee-raq
>
> aluminium: aloo-min-um rather than al-you-min-ee-um

You get used to it...

> It's silly, but they really grate!
>
> However my own favourite was a mispronunciation of my surname: Flaherty.
It
> should be pronounced literally as 'fla-her-tea'. People always get it
wrong
> though. My (adopted) little sister caused much mirth when she proudly
> announced that she was going to be a member of the 'Flat-titty' family...

ROFL!

> Sigridir
> --
> "The Britons thought they were more intelligent than the Americans
because
> the
> Britons had invented spellings with extra letters, warm beer and cricket.

> Conversely, the Americans thought they were more intelligent than the
> Britons
> for the very same reasons." -- Douglas Adams

Thats paraphrased, isnt it?

DC.Draconid.f.s(RL---VR+).h+++.CG.a-.$.(m).d++
WL++*.Fr-.L*.e++!.g--.i--!.u-
Wren Flametongue aka Peter Sayer

Wyrm

20 Jul 1998, 03:00:0020/07/1998
Greetings.

"Peter Sayer" <Peter.G...@btinternet.com> enscribed the following:

>Sigridir <a...@dircon.co.uk> wrote in article

>> As opposed to what?
>> As far as I'm concerned it is pronounced ee-kwee-lateral! However I'm
>> British...
>Just thinking that myself...

It should be pronounced:

`e:kwi'lateral

`e is pronounced as in edit.

>> Iran and Iraq: Eye-ran and Eye-raq not Ee-ran and Ee-raq

Actually, It isn't Eye-ran, or Ee-ran, but `i'Ran (and `i'Rak).

The `i sound is that at the start of irradiate, or irregular (no it isn't
ee-regular or eye-regular), or iritate! :8)

Wyrm.

--
Wyrm: http://www.wyrm.demon.co.uk/

DC.D f++ s-- h++ CFire a+++++ $+ (m) d+++
WL++ Fr++++ L700f BF e+++ g-- i+! U+++
NC.D SL700' Cfire Gm Av Wbfire Mf!! Pw!! T0

Dragon's, coming, out of the sea.
Shimmering silver head of wisdom looking at me.
Peter Gabriel - Genesis.

Sam

20 Jul 1998, 03:00:0020/07/1998
On 20 Jul 1998, Sigridir wrote:

> > where from. Anyway, she'd always pronounce "equilateral":

> "eekwee-lateral". I

> As opposed to what?
>
> As far as I'm concerned it is pronounced ee-kwee-lateral! However I'm
> British...

No, it's "ee-kwi-lateral".

the "i" is an "ih", just like in "chip".

most people doen't pronounced the second "e" so it ends up
"ee-kwi-latral".

> My most annoying pronunciations are...
>
> Lieutenant: loo-tenant instead of lef-tenant
>

> Iran and Iraq: Eye-ran and Eye-raq not Ee-ran and Ee-raq
>

> aluminium: aloo-min-um rather than al-you-min-ee-um
>

> It's silly, but they really grate!

Er, I think these are all just American pronunciations, Sig... :)

--quen

Sam

20 Jul 1998, 03:00:0020/07/1998
On 20 Jul 1998, H. Kinetic wrote:

> *LOL* What -IS- it about math teachers....?!? Not only have I
> had quite a few math teachers who mutilated accepted
> pronounciations of words (if not made up their own out of
> whole cloth), I had several math teachers in high school
> who were just really, really WEIRD in every possible sense
> of the word. One of them insisted on making cutesy
> diminutives of words-- she called quizzes "quizzies" and
> (I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP!) tests "testes." } 8-)
> I think there's just something about people who want
> to pursue math as a career, but aren't intelligent enough to
> teach/research at the college level. My collegiate math
> teachers are no weirder, on average, than other teachers..
> } ;-)

My maths teachers have been relatively normal, really. The teacher I had
between age 16 and 18 was really nice, actually. (And she got married
during that time, so somebody else must've thought so too ;)

All my maths teachers have been able to pronounce things correctly. Now, I
*did* have an English teacher who couldn't spell "desperate", thinking it
was "desparate", until we pointed out her own Desperate Dan (cartoon
character) ring-binder on her desk... :)

--quen

Chris Kennedy

20 Jul 1998, 03:00:0020/07/1998
On 20 Jul 1998 03:45:29 GMT, "H. Kinetic"
<ghul...@SPAMOFFnastything.com> wrote:
<snip>

> *LOL* What -IS- it about math teachers....?!? Not only have I
>had quite a few math teachers who mutilated accepted
>pronounciations of words (if not made up their own out of
>whole cloth), I had several math teachers in high school
>who were just really, really WEIRD in every possible sense
>of the word. One of them insisted on making cutesy
>diminutives of words-- she called quizzes "quizzies" and
>(I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP!) tests "testes." } 8-)

Err... testes?! *Grin* That's great! I've had quite a few odd math
teachers as well... (and I think physics teachers can also fit in
there...) And only one normal one. The normal one was my Calc.
teacher, and I think she was normal because she worked as an engineer
of some sort for several years before becoming a teacher.

> I think there's just something about people who want
>to pursue math as a career, but aren't intelligent enough to
>teach/research at the college level. My collegiate math
>teachers are no weirder, on average, than other teachers..
>} ;-)

That's about what I was thinking... for whatever odd reason, they like
math, but are no good at it. I can understand liking math, but you'd
think that if someone liked it they'd probably be halfway decent at
it...

<sigsnip>

--
Lyr
somebody ate my .sig.

Sigridir

20 Jul 1998, 03:00:0020/07/1998
Wyrm wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> "Peter Sayer" <Peter.G...@btinternet.com> enscribed the following:
> >Sigridir <a...@dircon.co.uk> wrote in article
> >> As opposed to what?
> >> As far as I'm concerned it is pronounced ee-kwee-lateral! However I'm
> >> British...
> >Just thinking that myself...
>
> It should be pronounced:
>
> `e:kwi'lateral
>
> `e is pronounced as in edit.

Well, I actually pronounce it both those ways, now I think about it.
Depends what mood I'm in. Both with the 'e' as in 'edit' and as in 'Eee
by gum!' :)

> >> Iran and Iraq: Eye-ran and Eye-raq not Ee-ran and Ee-raq
>

> Actually, It isn't Eye-ran, or Ee-ran, but `i'Ran (and `i'Rak).

I *know* it's not Eye-ran - that's what I was complaining about!
However, I will maintainn that what I was trying to phonetically spell
(always a bad move) is what you're saying.

> The `i sound is that at the start of irradiate, or irregular (no it isn't
> ee-regular or eye-regular), or iritate! :8)

I'd concur with that. I'm just not as pedantic when it comes to phonetic
notation. :P

And it's 'irritate' btw...

I was trying to write it avoiding any symbols that other people might
not understand.

Sigridir

Sigridir

20 Jul 1998, 03:00:0020/07/1998
Sam wrote:

> On 20 Jul 1998, Sigridir wrote:
>
> > > where from. Anyway, she'd always pronounce "equilateral":
> > "eekwee-lateral". I
>
> > As opposed to what?
> >
> > As far as I'm concerned it is pronounced ee-kwee-lateral! However I'm
> > British...
>
> No, it's "ee-kwi-lateral".
>
> the "i" is an "ih", just like in "chip".
>
> most people doen't pronounced the second "e" so it ends up
> "ee-kwi-latral".
>
> > My most annoying pronunciations are...
> >
> > Lieutenant: loo-tenant instead of lef-tenant
> >
> > Iran and Iraq: Eye-ran and Eye-raq not Ee-ran and Ee-raq
> >
> > aluminium: aloo-min-um rather than al-you-min-ee-um
> >
> > It's silly, but they really grate!
>
> Er, I think these are all just American pronunciations, Sig... :)

I know - I was trying to point out that pronunciations in a different
accent always sound odd to your ears!

That's very different to someone genuinely (another of my bugbears!)
mispronouncing words! I used to be terrible at it, I had a huge
vocabulary but had picked it all up from written sources. Consequently I
had few problems spelling, but I couldn't pronounce half the words!

Sigridir
---
btw How *do* you pronounce hermaphrodite?

Sam

20 Jul 1998, 03:00:0020/07/1998
On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Sigridir wrote:

> That's very different to someone genuinely (another of my bugbears!)
> mispronouncing words! I used to be terrible at it, I had a huge
> vocabulary but had picked it all up from written sources. Consequently I
> had few problems spelling, but I couldn't pronounce half the words!

yepyep :)

some good ones:

"lowering"
"misled"

> btw How *do* you pronounce hermaphrodite?

: : : :
^ : : :
as in "her" ;)
: : :
^ : :
as in "ash"
: :
^ :
uh as in "mirror" (mirr-uh)
:
^
as in right

That's how *I* pronounce it. I don't know if it's correct :)

note, this is english phonetic blah and americans pronounce the example
words differently ;) [it's mostly the vowels which change
pronunciation depending on region or dialect, too...]

--quen

Wertle1

20 Jul 1998, 03:00:0020/07/1998
While we're relatively on the subject of mispronunciations, I found some that
are almost impossible to get right...city names.

I live in Louisville, which has been pronounced several different ways by
people not from the city. Two most common examples:
"Lu-is-ville"
"Louey-ville"
Though the above seem the more logical pronunciations, Natives of the city such
as myself tend to pronounce it..."Luivull (running the first u and i together)
and people from out of town look think its a rather dumb pronunciation (but
hey, its *our* city, we can pronounce it however we want! ::grinz::)
Another city i notice pronunciation problems from non-natives is New
Orleans...any others?

Wyrm

21 Jul 1998, 03:00:0021/07/1998
Greetings.
a...@dircon.co.uk enscribed the following:

>Wyrm wrote:
>> Actually, It isn't Eye-ran, or Ee-ran, but `i'Ran (and `i'Rak).
>I *know* it's not Eye-ran - that's what I was complaining about!
>However, I will maintainn that what I was trying to phonetically spell
>(always a bad move) is what you're saying.

Actually, a better phonetic spelling would be Ear-an and Ear-ack!

>> The `i sound is that at the start of irradiate, or irregular (no it isn't
>> ee-regular or eye-regular), or iritate! :8)
>I'd concur with that. I'm just not as pedantic when it comes to phonetic
>notation. :P

Well, it should be i with a grave accent in reality (or something like
that).

>And it's 'irritate' btw...

Yup, sure is. After all those other double 'r's the keyboard evidently
decided it had overused them! Besides, if it was spelt iritate then it
would be pronounced ear-it-ate as the presence of the second i with only a
single consonant between modifies the i sound.

Wyrm

21 Jul 1998, 03:00:0021/07/1998
Greetings.

sm...@cam.ac.uk enscribed the following:

>On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Sigridir wrote:
>> had few problems spelling, but I couldn't pronounce half the words!

>some good ones:
>"lowering"
>"misled"

Well, one odd thing is that Glower (and Shower) and Lower are pronounced
differently. In actual fact it is due to alteration of spellings over the
years. Misled is another oddity being in contention with drizzled!

>> btw How *do* you pronounce hermaphrodite?

> as in "her" ;)
> as in "ash"

> uh as in "mirror" (mirr-uh)

> as in right
>That's how *I* pronounce it. I don't know if it's correct :)

Her-maff-roe-dyte
or
Her-maff-row-dite

(MAFF being the Ministry for Agriculture, Farms, and Fisheries, also know
as the Ministry for Ag and Fish!)

>note, this is english phonetic blah and americans pronounce the example
>words differently ;) [it's mostly the vowels which change
>pronunciation depending on region or dialect, too...]

You also get consonants being changed - or being missed out!

Wyrm

21 Jul 1998, 03:00:0021/07/1998
Greetings.

wer...@aol.com (Wertle1) enscribed the following:

>Another city i notice pronunciation problems from non-natives is New
>Orleans...any others?

There's a town in Kent called Wrotham ... guess how that is pronounced!

Cerulean

21 Jul 1998, 03:00:0021/07/1998
On Mon, 20 Jul 1998 12:59:01 +0100, Sam <sm...@eng.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

>> aluminium: aloo-min-um rather than al-you-min-ee-um
>
>Er, I think these are all just American pronunciations, Sig... :)

And spelling. "Aluminum" is a different word than "aluminium," just
like "trunk" is a different word than "boot."

Cerulean

21 Jul 1998, 03:00:0021/07/1998
On the subject of math teachers...

I think math teachers should take an art course before being allowed
to graph. Some of them have no sense of proportion, and it can really
harm the instruction. Something like the following has happened in my
classes a number of times:

"Okay, the first point is (2,4). So we go across two... and up four."

| *
| :
| .
|__.___.____

"And the next point is (5,3). So we go across five... and up three."

| *
| * .
| :
| . .
|__._._._.._

"And now if we draw the line through them, we see that the slope is
positive. Positive? Wait, that's not right...What happened?...hmm..."

Felixth...@hotmail.com

22 Jul 1998, 03:00:0022/07/1998

> > My most annoying pronunciations are...
> >
> > Lieutenant: loo-tenant instead of lef-tenant
> >
> > Iran and Iraq: Eye-ran and Eye-raq not Ee-ran and Ee-raq

Actually, it is Eee-rAn (the A in -rAn sounds as in 'car' or 'bar', not as in
'cat' or 'bat')

amd Iraq is properly pronounced "A-rAgh" and not "Eye-Rack"

Alan Lewis Sauer

22 Jul 1998, 03:00:0022/07/1998
Wertle1 wrote:
: >Though it required working for a military contractor for me to
: >encounter "ect." I had to ask what it stood for; these majors writing
: >their slides threw technical abbreviations everywhere, and it could
: >have been anything.
: >It stands for "ecsetra." I'm sure that to this day, he thinks I was
: >the clueless one.

: i've always been in the middle of a strange argument over whether the
: correct abbreviation for that is ect or etc...i used to write ect until
: someone pointed out it was the latter, but just as i got used to etc
: someone else came along and said i was writing it wrong. Oh the
: confusion!

From now on tell them it comes from the Latin phrase "et cetera," although
to my shame I can't remember what the "cetera" means.

Alan Sauer als...@bingen.cs.csbsju.edu
"But every artist and, in fact, every person knows, deeper than
conscious knowledge or speech can go, that beyond every reality
there is another one which controls it." --James Baldwin

Wyrm

22 Jul 1998, 03:00:0022/07/1998
Greetings.

Felixth...@hotmail.com enscribed the following:

>Actually, it is Eee-rAn (the A in -rAn sounds as in 'car' or 'bar', not as in
>'cat' or 'bat')
>amd Iraq is properly pronounced "A-rAgh" and not "Eye-Rack"

No they aren't! I'd actually ask an iranian or iraqi if I were you!
It's Ear-An and Ear-ark.

Pyros

22 Jul 1998, 03:00:0022/07/1998
My server demons claim that "H. Kinetic"
<ghul...@SPAMOFFnastything.com> wrote:

>whole cloth), I had several math teachers in high school
>who were just really, really WEIRD in every possible sense
>of the word. One of them insisted on making cutesy
>diminutives of words-- she called quizzes "quizzies" and
>(I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP!) tests "testes." } 8-)

> I think there's just something about people who want
>to pursue math as a career, but aren't intelligent enough to
>teach/research at the college level. My collegiate math
>teachers are no weirder, on average, than other teachers..

In middle school some of my friends had a math teacher who insisted on
calling quizes "quizicals." He said nothing different with tests, but
with a room full of middle schoolers you can imagine the route that it
would take. ;)

>HK >^..^<

--Pyros
That same teacher kept a pet boa constrictor in his classroom.

E-mail: @peak
heldg .org
(triW).peak.org/~heldg/valley_dragon/
DC.D f+ s-- h++ CAD a $ m--- d+++ WL++* L100f i---!!

End of line.

Mercva

23 Jul 1998, 03:00:0023/07/1998
>>diminutives of words-- she called quizzes "quizzies" and
>>(I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP!) tests "testes." } 8-)
I have a pascal proggy from someone else with the name 'zbuffie.pas'
(for z-buffers)

>--Pyros

-Mercva
"Indirect tactics, efficiently applied, are inexhausible
as Heaven and Earth.." The Art of War, Sun Tzu
ala...@clear.net.nz - Please CC as I may miss msgs specfically for me!
www.geocities.com/Area51/Dungeon/1814/

Felixth...@my-dejanews.com

23 Jul 1998, 03:00:0023/07/1998
In article <EwHpM...@flightdata.co.uk>,

laur...@wyrm.demon.co.uk (Wyrm) wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> Felixth...@hotmail.com enscribed the following:
> >Actually, it is Eee-rAn (the A in -rAn sounds as in 'car' or 'bar', not as in
> >'cat' or 'bat')
> >amd Iraq is properly pronounced "A-rAgh" and not "Eye-Rack"
>
> No they aren't! I'd actually ask an iranian or iraqi if I were you!

Well, guess what....

Wyrm

24 Jul 1998, 03:00:0024/07/1998
Greetings.

Felixth...@my-dejanews.com enscribed the following:

>In article <EwHpM...@flightdata.co.uk>,
> laur...@wyrm.demon.co.uk (Wyrm) wrote:
>> Felixth...@hotmail.com enscribed the following:
>> >Actually, it is Eee-rAn (the A in -rAn sounds as in 'car' or 'bar', not as

>> >'cat' or 'bat')
>> >amd Iraq is properly pronounced "A-rAgh" and not "Eye-Rack"
>> No they aren't! I'd actually ask an iranian or iraqi if I were you!
>Well, guess what....

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries? :8)

Greffindel the Plaid

24 Jul 1998, 03:00:0024/07/1998
In article <EwLDp...@flightdata.co.uk>, laur...@wyrm.demon.co.uk (Wyrm)
wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> Felixth...@my-dejanews.com enscribed the following:
> >In article <EwHpM...@flightdata.co.uk>,
> > laur...@wyrm.demon.co.uk (Wyrm) wrote:
> >> Felixth...@hotmail.com enscribed the following:
> >> No they aren't! I'd actually ask an iranian or iraqi if I were you!

In the immortal words of Dennis Leary: 'They should combine both those
countries and call it "IRATE".' :)

> >Well, guess what....
>
> Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries? :8)

I blow my nose at you, and call your door-opening request a silly thing! :)

> Wyrm.
--Greffindel the Plaid. ten.ridi.dnefispi :liam-E
lmth.nogard\dnefispi~\ten.ridi.www\\:ptth :etisbew ym tisiV
lmth.renrocyrteop\yrteop\dnefispi~\... :ta yrteoP
*please don't send me adverts, chain mail, or Internet Marketing Opportunities*

Greffindel the Plaid

BluePard

27 Jul 1998, 03:00:0027/07/1998
Arcturax wrote:
> I once had a hick of a substitute teacher (well, it was a substitute, but
> it was still funny) who prounounced incandecent light bulb as
> in-candy-scent lite bub.

In our French class we learned about "De-MON-strah-tive" verbs... the
middle sounds like the word monster.
--
.---. .---. BluePard, Local Loopy Lupine Leopard Mage
-'() '. _.'() '- "A foot falls, yet makes no sound..."

BluePard

27 Jul 1998, 03:00:0027/07/1998
Pyros wrote:
> My server demons claim that "H. Kinetic"
> <ghul...@SPAMOFFnastything.com> wrote:
>
> >whole cloth), I had several math teachers in high school
> >who were just really, really WEIRD in every possible sense
> >of the word. One of them insisted on making cutesy
> >diminutives of words-- she called quizzes "quizzies" and
> >(I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP!) tests "testes." } 8-)

Our bio teach [who was neat, but very vocal about things he was very
wrong about] --- we had quizlettes, quizarinos, quizzies, quizzaros...
any varient on the word "quiz". :)

[this, BTW, is the teacher who calls himself "The Great Zamboni", puts
on a blue and white plaster turban, and predicts what material will be
on those quizzallitos :) ]

BluePard

27 Jul 1998, 03:00:0027/07/1998
Sigridir wrote:
> My most annoying pronunciations are...
>
> Lieutenant: loo-tenant instead of lef-tenant

Lef-wha??

> Iran and Iraq: Eye-ran and Eye-raq not Ee-ran and Ee-raq

Erm....

> aluminium: aloo-min-um rather than al-you-min-ee-um

Uhh....

> It's silly, but they really grate!

Pronouncing all of those the FIRST way mentioned is good, right? Right?
:)

> However my own favourite was a mispronunciation of my surname: Flaherty. It

I know someone who's last name is derkach and I refuse to try to
pronounce it for reasons some may note....

> should be pronounced literally as 'fla-her-tea'. People always get it wrong
> though. My (adopted) little sister caused much mirth when she proudly
> announced that she was going to be a member of the 'Flat-titty' family...

Hm. My grandparents both thought [alone -- came up to me and pointed
this out] that it was hillarious someone had lettered my last name as
"Fugele". I ..... don't get it.

For my last name [fuerle] I get everything from fwawa to fyer [y'know,
the german word--I'm tired, okee?] to fu-rel-eee to fur-el-eee.... this
is what happens when you do a bad job trying to americanize a european
last name....

> Sigridir
> --
> "The Britons thought they were more intelligent than the Americans because
> the
> Britons had invented spellings with extra letters, warm beer and cricket.
> Conversely, the Americans thought they were more intelligent than the
> Britons
> for the very same reasons." -- Douglas Adams

I don't remember that one.... I recall the one about dolphins and
greggils, tho. :)

*for some reason unbeknownst BP takes this oppurtunity to point out that
her typist loves the word "greggil" for the simple reason that it hasn't
got the word "man" or "boy" or whatever in it. It does, however, have a
man's name it in. *sigh**

/me is tired. Shoo. Zzzzzzzzzzz....

BluePard

27 Jul 1998, 03:00:0027/07/1998
Greffindel the Plaid wrote:
> In article <EwLDp...@flightdata.co.uk>, laur...@wyrm.demon.co.uk (Wyrm)
> wrote:
> * Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries? :8)
>
> I blow my nose at you, and call your door-opening request a silly thing! :)

*laughs*

Yay! I just saw that, finally.... it was... erm.... ya. and you know. :)

> > Wyrm.
> --Greffindel the Plaid. ten.ridi.dnefispi :liam-E

Greffindel the Plaid

5 Aug 1998, 03:00:0005/08/1998
In article <35BC1683...@buffnet.net>, BluePard
<blue...@buffnet.net> wrote:

> Greffindel the Plaid wrote:
> > In article <EwLDp...@flightdata.co.uk>, laur...@wyrm.demon.co.uk (Wyrm)
> > wrote:
> > * Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries? :8)
> >
> > I blow my nose at you, and call your door-opening request a silly thing! :)
>
> *laughs*
>
> Yay! I just saw that, finally.... it was... erm.... ya. and you know. :)

*grin* A highly worthwhile experience, I can assure you! :)

> > > Wyrm.
> > --Greffindel the Plaid. ten.ridi.dnefispi :liam-E
> --
> .---. .---. BluePard, Local Loopy Lupine Leopard Mage
> -'() '. _.'() '- "A foot falls, yet makes no sound..."
> `----' '----' http://www.geocities.com/southbeach/palms/2115
> (oooo, mysterious) "YOU'RE A DUCK!" -- Hope Opal

How can *I* possibly be the Duck, when You The Duck! :)

--Greffindel the Plaid. ten.ridi.dnefispi :liam-E

Blue...@my-dejanews.com

10 Aug 1998, 03:00:0010/08/1998
ch...@sig.net (Greffindel the Plaid) wrote:
> In article <35BC1683...@buffnet.net>, BluePard
> <blue...@buffnet.net> wrote:

> > (oooo, mysterious) "YOU'RE A DUCK!" -- Hope Opal
>
> How can *I* possibly be the Duck, when You The Duck! :)

I am not a duck! :)

BluePard

Peter Sayer

10 Aug 1998, 03:00:0010/08/1998

Blue...@my-dejanews.com wrote in article
<6qlr8f$cn2$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

> ch...@sig.net (Greffindel the Plaid) wrote:
> > In article <35BC1683...@buffnet.net>, BluePard
> > <blue...@buffnet.net> wrote:
>
> > > (oooo, mysterious) "YOU'RE A DUCK!" -- Hope Opal
> >
> > How can *I* possibly be the Duck, when You The Duck! :)
>
> I am not a duck! :)

WHAT THE DUCK ARE YOU GOING ON ABOUT?

Ahem...

> BluePard

DC.Draconid.f.s(RL---VR+).h+++.CG|DG(Hair W).
a-.$.(m).d+++.WL+^.Fr-.L*.e+++!.g---.i--!.u-
Wren Flametongue
Pilot, Mage, Owner of planet sized ego

dragonfly

11 Aug 1998, 03:00:0011/08/1998
~+~

>> > (oooo, mysterious) "YOU'RE A DUCK!" -- Hope Opal
>>
>> How can *I* possibly be the Duck, when You The Duck! :)
>
>I am not a duck! :)

i wonder what ducks think about.. :)

--
moon starr - who is assuming ducky-things :)
DC.D Ad-Ah- L--- WL++* CB&S G- Fr++ U F--- (M)M** H+ $-- E Z D+++ I-- S+

~we are chasing the moon/just running wild and free/we are following through
/every dream/and every need~
~the corrs~

Peter Sayer

13 Aug 1998, 03:00:0013/08/1998

dragonfly <drag...@stormi.demon.co.uk> wrote in article
<Z68EOLAj...@stormi.demon.co.uk>...

> ~+~
> >>
> >> How can *I* possibly be the Duck, when You The Duck! :)
> >
> >I am not a duck! :)
>
> i wonder what ducks think about.. :)

How to beat up trolls... Id have thought...

(RQ joke...)

And *WHY* "YOU'RE A DUCK"?

> >BluePard
>
> --
> moon starr - who is assuming ducky-things :)
> DC.D Ad-Ah- L--- WL++* CB&S G- Fr++ U F--- (M)M** H+ $-- E Z D+++ I-- S+
>
> ~we are chasing the moon/just running wild and free/we are following
through
> /every dream/and every need~
> ~the corrs~

DC.Draconid.f.s(RL---VR+).h+++.CG(Hair W).

Wertle1

13 Aug 1998, 03:00:0013/08/1998
>"YOU'RE A DUCK!" -- Hope Opal

>> >I am not a duck! :)
>>
>> i wonder what ducks think about.. :)

::looks around nervously, then sees if anyone knows the correct response to the
question she is about to ask. She looks to all of them, clears her throat, and
asks::

"Wanna buy a duck?"

Chris Kennedy

13 Aug 1998, 03:00:0013/08/1998
On 13 Aug 1998 21:41:32 GMT, wer...@aol.com (Wertle1) wrote in
alt.fan.dragons:

>::looks around nervously, then sees if anyone knows the correct response to the
>question she is about to ask. She looks to all of them, clears her throat, and
>asks::
>
>"Wanna buy a duck?"

A what?

--
Lyr
DC.D f++ sRL sVR+ h++ CGwB a- $ m d++ WL++* Fr- L20f B? e++ g- i--!

Wertle1

14 Aug 1998, 03:00:0014/08/1998
a duck

Chris Kennedy

14 Aug 1998, 03:00:0014/08/1998
On 14 Aug 1998 03:04:37 GMT, wer...@aol.com (Wertle1) wrote in
alt.fan.dragons:

>a duck

*Grrr* I don't remember the rest of it... =(

Wertle1

14 Aug 1998, 03:00:0014/08/1998
>*Grrr* I don't remember the rest of it... =(

"does it quack?"

"of course it quacks"

"let's hear it"

"quack"

Chris Kennedy

14 Aug 1998, 03:00:0014/08/1998
On 14 Aug 1998 22:20:49 GMT, wer...@aol.com (Wertle1) wrote in
alt.fan.dragons:

>>*Grrr* I don't remember the rest of it... =(

>"does it quack?"
>
>"of course it quacks"
>
>"let's hear it"
>
>"quack"

Oohhh. I remember now! *Grin* Yay! =)

Wertle1

15 Aug 1998, 03:00:0015/08/1998

>Oohhh. I remember now! *Grin* Yay! =)

hehehehe.....oh the annoyance that can cause ::grinz::

Greffindel the Plaid

15 Aug 1998, 03:00:0015/08/1998
In article <6qlr8f$cn2$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, Blue...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> ch...@sig.net (Greffindel the Plaid) wrote:
> > In article <35BC1683...@buffnet.net>, BluePard
> > <blue...@buffnet.net> wrote:
>

> > > (oooo, mysterious) "YOU'RE A DUCK!" -- Hope Opal

> > How can *I* possibly be the Duck, when You The Duck! :)
>
> I am not a duck! :)

Why a duck?

> BluePard

Cira

15 Aug 1998, 03:00:0015/08/1998

A strange figure approaches dressed in a tan trench and a
hat. A draconic snout protrudes from beneath the hat, as
does a faint wisp of smoke.

"Have you ever head of a Jewish duck?" says a disguised
voice...

<never mind that man behind the curtain, or the sig that
follows... ;>
--
-Cira the Dragon
,~~~~~,~~---~
| -------- \__ __
------|-------------------------\----/--\-
DC.D CDB|G:G L11m s(RL-VR+) g- +U+ UIN4577509
The slowly forming code
I am what I am, nothing more, nothing less.

Chris Kennedy

15 Aug 1998, 03:00:0015/08/1998
On Sat, 15 Aug 1998 13:14:13 -0600, Cira <sam_g...@byu.edu> wrote in
alt.fan.dragons:

>Wertle1 wrote:
>>

>> >Oohhh. I remember now! *Grin* Yay! =)
>>
>> hehehehe.....oh the annoyance that can cause ::grinz::

Yup.... I have a _terrible_ memory. =) (BTW, I didn't get this post
from you, Wertle. Durn. Think the server's acting up. And it's usually
so good... *Grr*)

>> "Insanity is the best form of defense against the insane"
>> (made that one up myself)

*BigGrin*

>A strange figure approaches dressed in a tan trench and a
>hat. A draconic snout protrudes from beneath the hat, as
>does a faint wisp of smoke.

Hey, who's that strange figure in the tan trench and hat? ;-)

>"Have you ever head of a Jewish duck?" says a disguised
>voice...

Nope, can't say I have.

--
Lyr
DC.D f++ sRL+ sVR++ h++ CGwB a- $ m- d++ WL++* Fr L20f B? e++ g- i--!

Cira

16 Aug 1998, 03:00:0016/08/1998
Chris Kennedy wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Aug 1998 13:14:13 -0600, Cira <sam_g...@byu.edu> wrote in
> alt.fan.dragons:

> >> hehehehe.....oh the annoyance that can cause ::grinz::
>
> Yup.... I have a _terrible_ memory. =) (BTW, I didn't get this post
> from you, Wertle. Durn. Think the server's acting up. And it's usually
> so good... *Grr*)
>
> >> "Insanity is the best form of defense against the insane"
> >> (made that one up myself)
>
> *BigGrin*
>
> >A strange figure approaches dressed in a tan trench and a
> >hat. A draconic snout protrudes from beneath the hat, as
> >does a faint wisp of smoke.
>
> Hey, who's that strange figure in the tan trench and hat? ;-)
>
> >"Have you ever head of a Jewish duck?" says a disguised
> >voice...
> Nope, can't say I have.

Ah..., they fight like lions.

Cira

16 Aug 1998, 03:00:0016/08/1998
Oooh, I should remember my manners, I haven't officialy met
you Lyr. *Pleasedtomeetyou!* ]:=8) *pawshake*

I'm just feeling weird today. ;)

Chris Kennedy

16 Aug 1998, 03:00:0016/08/1998
On Sun, 16 Aug 1998 08:40:13 -0600, Cira <sam_g...@byu.edu> wrote in
alt.fan.dragons:

>Oooh, I should remember my manners, I haven't officialy met

>you Lyr. *Pleasedtomeetyou!* ]:=8) *pawshake*
>
>I'm just feeling weird today. ;)

Hi! *Smile* Nice to meetcha. I feel weird everyday. Ain't it fun? ;-)

Cerulean

17 Aug 1998, 03:00:0017/08/1998
Quoth Greffindel the Plaid:

>Why a duck?

It's duller; It'll hurt more.

--
___vvz /( Cerulean http://home.att.net/~kevinpease
<__,` Z / ( DC.D/? fs+h++ Gm CB^P a$m++d+++l*g-e!i
`~~~) )Z) ( FDDmp4adwsA+++$C*D>+HM-P-RT+++WZ?Sm#
/ (7 ( JaH)s3--,,+seaq a+eu!+sqo ue s! uo6eJp s!y+ +nq,,

Rai

19 Aug 1998, 03:00:0019/08/1998
Quoth kevin...@worldnet.att.net (Cerulean):
>Quoth Greffindel the Plaid:

>>Why a duck?
>
>It's duller; It'll hurt more.

Twit. ;=8D
\^\^//
,^ ( ..) ~~ Samurai ~~
| \ \ DC.D f+s+h--CK^K a $-m-d++WL++Fr L12m BW e++g--i--!
\ `^--^
\ \ \ Please remove the fish to reply by e-mail. }:=8)