Adams & Monty Python.

Oliver Breidenbach

Nov 11, 1991, 9:44:18 AM11/11/91

In article <JEPP.91No...@black.iesd.auc.dk>, je...@iesd.auc.dk (Jesper Petersen) writes:

|> Douglas Adams and most of the Python Crew actually went to school together,
|> and the 42-thing was an old school joke between them...

Well, actually Adams was member of a ancestory group of the Pythons.
As I recall he wrote some of the sketches in Monty Pythons flying circus.
My memories might be a bit foggy since it is some time since I read about
this.

Oliver.

"If you like a copy of the book "The Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy", please
write to: Megadoodoo Publications, Megadoodoo House, Ursa Minor, enclosing
3 Pound 95 for the book and 7 238 232.07 Pound Postage and Packing." -- HHG

Ben Siemerink

Nov 11, 1991, 9:01:27 AM11/11/91
> Recently I heard a very interesting rumour, and I was kinda hoping someone
> could elaborate on it. Here's how it goes:

> Douglas Adams and most of the Python Crew actually went to school together,
> and the 42-thing was an old school joke between them...
>
> Anyone have a clue what I'm talking about here?

NO I'M NOT! NEVER HEARD ABOUT A 42-THING. HE DIDN'T WRITE 42 BOOKS, THERE WERE
PROBABLY MORE THAN 42 MONTH PYTHON SERIES. I DON'T THINK DOUGLAS IS 42 YEARS
OLD, ET CETERA. SO, WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??????

Ben Siemerink: bj...@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Bristol, UK)

Shane Kershaw

Nov 11, 1991, 10:08:26 AM11/11/91
From article <JEPP.91No...@black.iesd.auc.dk>, by je...@iesd.auc.dk (Jesper Petersen):

> Douglas Adams and most of the Python Crew actually went to school together,
> and the 42-thing was an old school joke between them...

Well, I wouldn't say that they went to school together, but DA and the Python
team were members of The Footlights during their time at Cambridge.

As for the bit about 42, well, it could have some Footlights significance??

Shane.

"Would you care to step outside?"

--
| "Life! Don't talk to me about life!" Douglas Adams via Marvin |
| Shane Kershaw Internet: sker...@loki.une.edu.au |

Magnus Stensmo

Nov 11, 1991, 4:57:40 PM11/11/91

(Jesper Petersen) writes:

|> Douglas Adams and most of the Python Crew actually went to
school together,
|> and the 42-thing was an old school joke between them...

Well, actually Adams was member of a ancestory group of the Pythons.
As I recall he wrote some of the sketches in Monty Pythons flying circus.
My memories might be a bit foggy since it is some time since I read about
this.

When Terry Gilliam was here in Stockholm a couple of years ago
promoting his film "Baron Munchausen" he was asked a couple of
questions after the showing of the film. Somebody asked him about
Douglas Adams and he said that he had used to hang around with Terry
Jones (or someone else) but that they in Monty Python never liked him.
So I don't think he was involved in the Flying Circus.

--
Magnus Stensmo m...@sans.kth.se
Dept. of Numerical Analysis and Computing Science ms%sa...@sekth.bitnet

Jester

Nov 11, 1991, 9:20:20 PM11/11/91
In article <19...@loki.une.oz.au> sker...@loki.une.oz.au (Shane Kershaw) writes:
>From article <JEPP.91No...@black.iesd.auc.dk>, by je...@iesd.auc.dk (Jesper Petersen):
>>
>> Douglas Adams and most of the Python Crew actually went to school together,
>> and the 42-thing was an old school joke between them...
>>

>Well, I wouldn't say that they went to school together, but DA and the Python
>team were members of The Footlights during their time at Cambridge.

Shoot me, if I am wroong, but according to 'The First 20(0) Years of Monty
Python'. Graham Chapman, the diseased member of Monty Python, helped
Douglas Adams write HHGTTG.

Jester
--
Join the Omnipotent Overlords of the Omniverse today. Conquer brave new worlds,
enslave all new races, collect souls from the oppressed and most importantly

Tom Emerson

Nov 12, 1991, 6:30:32 AM11/12/91

[stuff deleted]
Linda> ...
Linda> 42 is the meaning of Life, The Universe and Everything, as discovered by
Linda> Deep thought, a computer who could talk all four legs of an arcturan
Linda> megadonkey, and persuade it to go for a walk afterwards!
Linda> Please! Tell me you understand!

Sorry, perhaps you should read the books again too? ;-) Deep Thought
doesn't talk the legs off the Arcturan megadonkey. Isn't that the
Great Omnicognate Neutron Wrangler? Working off memory here, so
asbestos underwear is on. He does, however, persuade it go for a walk
afterwards.

"It'll hurt buster, it'll hurt!"

Tom
--
Thomas Emerson
________________ Student Systems Programmer - EMBA Computer Facility

Neil Jarvis

Nov 12, 1991, 4:03:00 AM11/12/91

Kershaw) writes:
|>From article <JEPP.91No...@black.iesd.auc.dk>, by
|>je...@iesd.auc.dk (Jesper Petersen):
|>>
|>> Douglas Adams and most of the Python Crew actually went to school
|>together,
|>> and the 42-thing was an old school joke between them...
|>>

|>Well, I wouldn't say that they went to school together, but DA and the
|>Python
|>team were members of The Footlights during their time at Cambridge.
|>
|>As for the bit about 42, well, it could have some Footlights
|>significance??
|>

|>Shane.
|>
|>"Would you care to step outside?"

I heard the 42 thing was an in-joke from when Douglas Adams worked at
the BBC. I think it was a room number, but my memory is a bit foggy
these days, the brain the size of a planet, little details like this
seem to get lost......

\ Neil Jarvis \ I've always said, there's nothing an \
\ \ agnostic can't do, if he doesn't know \
\ jar...@smeg.reo.dec.com \ if he believes in anything, or not. \

Linda Penington

Nov 12, 1991, 5:21:48 AM11/12/91
In article <1342...@otter.hpl.hp.com> bj...@otter.hpl.hp.com (Ben Siemerink) writes:
>> Douglas Adams and most of the Python Crew actually went to school together,
>> and the 42-thing was an old school joke between them...
>> Anyone have a clue what I'm talking about here?
>
>NO I'M NOT! NEVER HEARD ABOUT A 42-THING. HE DIDN'T WRITE 42 BOOKS, THERE WERE
>PROBABLY MORE THAN 42 MONTH PYTHON SERIES. I DON'T THINK DOUGLAS IS 42 YEARS
>OLD, ET CETERA. SO, WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??????
>
>Ben Siemerink: bj...@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Bristol, UK)
ARGH! Ben! You're reading this news group and you DON'T know the meaning
of the mystical/magical/most impressive 42???? Please, go away and read
the books again! (I won't sully your reputation by voicing the
possibility that you may not have read them at all!)

42 is the meaning of Life, The Universe and Everything, as discovered by
Deep thought, a computer who could talk all four legs of an arcturan
megadonkey, and persuade it to go for a walk afterwards!
Please! Tell me you understand!

Linda

Zatar

Nov 12, 1991, 8:00:35 PM11/12/91
The way I heard it was that DA thought that "the 4th book had gotten such
a bad rap" that he would just skip the 5th book and go right on to the
6th. He will probably still call it a trilogy...

-Zatar
tlh...@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

Linda Penington

Nov 13, 1991, 12:26:00 AM11/13/91
In article <TREE.91No...@newton.uvm.edu> tr...@newton.uvm.edu (Tom Emerson) writes:

>Linda> ...
>Linda> 42 is the meaning of Life, The Universe and Everything, as discovered by
>Linda> Deep thought, a computer who could talk all four legs of an arcturan
>Linda> megadonkey, and persuade it to go for a walk afterwards!
>Linda> Please! Tell me you understand!
>
>Sorry, perhaps you should read the books again too? ;-) Deep Thought
>doesn't talk the legs off the Arcturan megadonkey. Isn't that the
>Great Omnicognate Neutron Wrangler? Working off memory here, so
>asbestos underwear is on. He does, however, persuade it go for a walk
>afterwards.
>
>"It'll hurt buster, it'll hurt!"
No, no - it won't hurt! I promise! Your memory is a tiny bit rusty,
though 'cos it was Deep Thought who said (and, no - this is not a direct
quote 'cos i'd never do ANY work if I kept those books close by) "the Great
Omnicognate Neutron Wrangler" [I'm not sure about this name, but that's
Tom's quote, not mine!]" could talk all four legs off an arcturan
megadonkey, but only I could persuade it to go for a walk afterwards."
So he didn't actually DO it, just said he could. Heck with it - let's
all reread the books! Sure beats working!!!

Linda
(We apologise for the inconvenience)

Tom Emerson

Nov 13, 1991, 6:44:09 AM11/13/91
[some of my original stuff deleted.]

>Sorry, perhaps you should read the books again too? ;-) Deep Thought
>doesn't talk the legs off the Arcturan megadonkey. Isn't that the
>Great Omnicognate Neutron Wrangler? Working off memory here, so
>asbestos underwear is on. He does, however, persuade it go for a walk
>afterwards.
>
>"It'll hurt buster, it'll hurt!"
Linda> No, no - it won't hurt! I promise! Your memory is a tiny bit
Linda> rusty, though 'cos it was Deep Thought who said (and, no - this
Linda> is not a direct quote 'cos i'd never do ANY work if I kept
Linda> those books close by) "the Great Omnicognate Neutron Wrangler"
Linda> [I'm not sure about this name, but that's Tom's quote, not
Linda> mine!]" could talk all four legs off an arcturan megadonkey,
Linda> but only I could persuade it to go for a walk afterwards." So
Linda> he didn't actually DO it, just said he could. Heck with it -
Linda> let's all reread the books! Sure beats working!!!

Yes, you're right, Deep Thought merely says he *could* persuade it to
go for a walk afterward... and I'm sure the computer's name was the
"Great Hyperlobic Omnicognate Neutron Wrangler"!

A agree, might just as well read them again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yippie!

`Pardon me for breathing which I never do anyway so I don't know why I
bothered to say it oh God I'm so depressed.'

Creator of Alternate Universes

Nov 13, 1991, 9:38:23 PM11/13/91
In article <1342...@otter.hpl.hp.com> bj...@otter.hpl.hp.com (Ben Siemerink) writes:

I do so fervently hope this gentleman is joking...............

--Gryphon

"To a WWWA trouble consultant, recklessness is a way of life."
--Kei
INTERNET: gry...@wpi.WPI.EDU SNAILNET: WPI Box 570, I00 Institute Rd,
BELLNET: (508)791-2539 Worcester, MA 01609

Linda Penington

Nov 13, 1991, 7:04:07 PM11/13/91
In article <TREE.91No...@newton.uvm.edu> tr...@newton.uvm.edu (Tom Emerson) writes:
>Yes, you're right, Deep Thought merely says he *could* persuade it to
>go for a walk afterward... and I'm sure the computer's name was the
>"Great Hyperlobic Omnicognate Neutron Wrangler"!
you're quite right! I bow before your superior memory on that point.
Gee it's nice to have somewhere where it's acceptable to quote HHGthG!
My friends are all rather sick of it - No taste! No style!

"He gave a grin which would have sent sane men scampering into trees."
tee hee!
Linda

Tom Emerson

Nov 14, 1991, 6:28:40 AM11/14/91
On 14 Nov 91 00:04:07 GMT, ins...@lindblat.cc.monash.edu.au (Linda
Penington) said:

[....]
Linda> you're quite right! I bow before your superior memory on that point.
Linda> Gee it's nice to have somewhere where it's acceptable to quote HHGthG!
Linda> My friends are all rather sick of it - No taste! No style!
Indeed. My fiancee has had enough. My friends have had enough.
Mighty Zarquon, the dumb space cookies are alienating me. Of course,
when you're a filthly rotten stinking sameling what do you expect?

Linda> "He gave a grin which would have sent sane men scampering into trees."

"Today must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays."

Linda Penington

Nov 14, 1991, 8:18:17 PM11/14/91
In article <TREE.91No...@newton.uvm.edu> tr...@newton.uvm.edu (Tom Emerson) writes:
>Linda> Gee it's nice to have somewhere where it's acceptable to quote HHGthG!
>Linda> My friends are all rather sick of it - No taste! No style!

>Indeed. My fiancee has had enough. My friends have had enough.
>Mighty Zarquon, the dumb space cookies are alienating me. Of course,
>when you're a filthly rotten stinking sameling what do you expect?
>
>Linda> "He gave a grin which would have sent sane men scampering into trees."
>
>"Today must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays."

ah - yes! Totally gratuitous quotes! Isn't it wonderful???!!!
It's been ages since I've quoted aloud - my friends have long banned
quotes in any context whatsoever - even when the quotes are appropriate!
Such cretins! Such...dare i say it...Golgafrincham-like attitudes!
"Ah, stick it up your nose!"
"Which is precisely the sort of thing we need to know - Do people want
fire which can be fitted nasally?"

*snigger*

Linda

Tom Emerson

Nov 15, 1991, 7:25:40 AM11/15/91
Linda> ah - yes! Totally gratuitous quotes! Isn't it wonderful???!!!
Yes, it is... you might actually make me bring in my old beat up
paperbacks. Of course, that would be cheating, wouldn't it?

Linda> It's been ages since I've quoted aloud - my friends have long banned
Linda> quotes in any context whatsoever - even when the quotes are appropriate!
Linda> Such cretins! Such...dare i say it...Golgafrincham-like attitudes!
Linda> "Ah, stick it up your nose!"
Linda> "Which is precisely the sort of thing we need to know - Do people want
Linda> fire which can be fitted nasally?"
"You're a bunch of useless bloody loonies!"

I'm so cool you could keep a side of beef in me for a month.

Let's meet the meat!

Tom, voted the worst dressed sentient being in the universe for the
seventh time running. Once described by Eccentrica Galumbits as...

ahem.

I have this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side.

"You can read my mine?" "and?" "It amazes me how you can live in
anything that small." "Ahhh, abuse?" "Yes."

Oh, and for you Golgafrincham lovers out there (they *are* our
ancestors, after all), what color should the wheel be?

And where is Slartibartfast's picture? Norway, right?

"I don't think I can take much more of this... I think I'll just go
and have a little lie down, somewhere."

Linda> *snigger*
I'll second that!

Winner of the 1991 Wrath of God Award

Nov 15, 1991, 1:20:54 PM11/15/91
In article <TREE.91No...@newton.uvm.edu> tr...@newton.uvm.edu (Tom Emerson) writes:
>Sorry, perhaps you should read the books again too? ;-) Deep Thought
>doesn't talk the legs off the Arcturan megadonkey. Isn't that the
>Great Omnicognate Neutron Wrangler? Working off memory here, so
>asbestos underwear is on. He does, however, persuade it go for a walk
>afterwards.

Sorry. Deep Thought never actually persuades the Arcturan MegaDonkey to
go for a walk, he just says that he is so incredibly awesome that he
could. Actually, he spends a rather long time (200 million years?)
figuring out that 42 is the answer. That's all.

-lightnin

/| Lightning: (n) A Force of Nature consisting of an electric discharge.
/ |_DeityCo: The Major and Minor Deities Placement Agency
/_ /=======================================================================
/ / |Up the long ladder, and down the short rope, |Email: (17146M)
/ /_ |to Hell with King Billy, and God bless the Pope, |lightnin
/_ / |if that doesn't do, we'll tear him in two, |@wpi.wpi.edu
/ / |and send him to Hell with his red, white, and blue.|__________________
/ / | -Traditional Irish Children's Song
/ /===========================================================================
|/ "Dark is not one of my favorite colors." -Ralph, the All Purpose Animal.

Frank Cheeseman

Nov 15, 1991, 1:50:15 PM11/15/91
>Linda> "He gave a grin which would have sent sane men scampering into trees."

Where exactly does this appear (vague memory says it refers to Zaphod,
but can't remember where, or which book)

-Frank, whose .sig has no adams references,
so he's going to keep it to himself.

Matt Metcalf

Nov 15, 1991, 6:57:56 PM11/15/91
In article <890045c.690231015@aucs> 890...@aucs.acadiau.ca (Frank Cheeseman)
writes:
Actually, it is in reference to Ford. I can't remember where from, however.
Possibly ancient Earth?

Matt

Linda Penington

Nov 16, 1991, 2:40:57 AM11/16/91
In article <890045c.690231015@aucs> 890...@aucs.acadiau.ca (Frank Cheeseman) writes:
>>Linda> "He gave a grin which would have sent sane men scampering into trees."
>Where exactly does this appear (vague memory says it refers to Zaphod,
>but can't remember where, or which book)

Assuming my memory serves me correctly (which it frequently doesn't, so
be warned...) this quote is from the beginning of Life, The Universe and
Everything. Specifically, somewhere around the time when Ford is
declaring that "I went mad for a while - did me no end of good."
And "I thought I was a lemon and spent a month jumping in and out of a
gin and tonic."
Arthur: "where did you -"
Ford: "find a gin and tonic? I found a small lake which thought it was a
gin and tonic and jumped in and out of that. At least, i think it
thought it was a gin and tonic - I may have been imagining it."
I think my quote was from somewhere in there.

enjoy!
Linda

Linda Penington

Nov 16, 1991, 2:51:46 AM11/16/91

Aw...shucks! For me??

In article <TREE.91No...@newton.uvm.edu> tr...@newton.uvm.edu (Tom Emerson) writes:

>Yes, it is... you might actually make me bring in my old beat up
>paperbacks. Of course, that would be cheating, wouldn't it?

>"You're a bunch of useless bloody loonies!"

You must be psychic! I was thinking about this quote as I typed the
other one...Gosh! A kindred spirit!

>Tom, voted the worst dressed sentient being in the universe for the
>seventh time running. Once described by Eccentrica Galumbits as...

Really??? How does your fiancee respond to this????

>"You can read my mine?" "and?" "It amazes me how you can live in
>anything that small." "Ahhh, abuse?" "Yes."

This has got to be one of my all time favourite lines...

>"I don't think I can take much more of this... I think I'll just go
>and have a little lie down, somewhere."

"Arthur lay in the mud and squelched at him"

"Mr Prosser wanted to live at point E - He didn't know where point E
was, Just somewhere a long way from points a,b and c."

"Prosser had a vision of Arthur running screaming from his burning house
with several hefty spears protruding from his back..."

And one of the all time classics :
"Many solutions were suggested to this problem, most of which were to do
with small green pieces of paper, which is odd, because on the whole it
wasn't the small green pieces of paper which were unhappy..."

>Linda> *snigger*
>I'll second that!

Can I third it even if it was me who firsted it????

"This message was brought to you by the campaign to save the humans."

Anthony Baxter

Nov 16, 1991, 11:33:12 AM11/16/91
tr...@newton.uvm.edu (Tom Emerson) writes:

>And where is Slartibartfast's picture? Norway, right?

Any Norwegian's out there who have bothered to see if they could
find Slarti's picture anywhere? Or has it faded by now? :-)

--
Anthony Baxter.
ant...@nellads.cc.monash.edu.au

Bj|rn P. Munch

Nov 16, 1991, 4:33:15 PM11/16/91
In article <anthony....@nella4.cc.monash.edu.au>, ant...@nella4.cc.monash.edu.au (Anthony Baxter) writes:
|> tr...@newton.uvm.edu (Tom Emerson) writes:
|>
|> >And where is Slartibartfast's picture? Norway, right?
|>
|> Any Norwegian's out there who have bothered to see if they could
|> find Slarti's picture anywhere? Or has it faded by now? :-)

No, I haven't seen it anywhere, I'm afraid. Maybe he was unlucky with
the placement, and it is covered by a glacier?

BTW, I have a program for my Amiga that creates fractal landscapes.
It claims to be "better than Slartibartfast". Well, I don't agree -
the original is best! :-)

---
Bj|rn P. Munch | Div. of Comp. Science & Telematics,
bjo...@idt.unit.no | Norwegian Institute of Technology (NTH),
PhD Student | Trondheim, Norway
(some filler words here) | Fingerable addr: bjo...@multe.idt.unit.no

Bjorn Larsen

Nov 15, 1991, 9:26:56 AM11/15/91

>And where is Slartibartfast's picture? Norway, right?

Seeing the glaciers is one of the 'to do' things for tourists
here in Norway. One of the major glaciers (sorry, don't remember
which one) has an arm that extends down to a fjord.

The cruise ships that pass the fjord usually enter it and let of a
shipful of little old american ladies with blue hair and fat husbands.
(Oh my! Look at those MOUUUUNTAINS! Isn't that just SOOOMETHING!)

A couple of years ago a joker put up a HUGE sign on the glacier
that read SLARTIBARTFAST WAS HERE. Few of the little old ladies got
the joke, however.

I seem to remember that the sign stayed there for some time, and
eventually melted its way into the glacier wall, so that it could
just barely be seen through the ice.

Bizzarrely appropriate.

Bjorn

Ulf Lunde

Nov 18, 1991, 11:09:43 AM11/18/91
In article <M05751.91N...@hypatia.data.st.statoil.no>,

m05...@hypatia.data.st.statoil.no (Bjorn Larsen) writes:

> A couple of years ago a joker put up a HUGE sign on the glacier
> that read SLARTIBARTFAST WAS HERE.

Won't you tell us why you are so sure the sign wasn't genuine?
Do you know this "joker"?

My theory is that the sign came from within the glacier and
that it appears periodically for the world to see, before it
again disappears into the ice. Maybe something like once
every 42 years. This theory has not yet been verified by
looking for older references to the sign (from 1947, 1905,
etc). Norwegians with more spare time than I may want to
check this.

Ulf

Melanie A. Miller

Nov 18, 1991, 12:22:38 PM11/18/91
Personally, gang, I'd be delighted if Slarty's picture really WAS
in the glacier--but isn't it supposed to be rather smallish and hard
to see from a distance? Just curious.

Melanie Miller

Ian Klinck

Nov 18, 1991, 4:54:57 PM11/18/91
AAARRRGH! It wasn't Slartibartfast's PICTURE in the glacier, it was his
SIGNATURE!!!
(Or is this one of those little discrepancies between the NA and British
versions of the books?)

Ford Prefect

Nov 18, 1991, 6:01:14 PM11/18/91
In article <M05751.91N...@hypatia.data.st.statoil.no> bj...@statoil.no writes:

>>And where is Slartibartfast's picture? Norway, right?
>
>Seeing the glaciers is one of the 'to do' things for tourists
>here in Norway. One of the major glaciers (sorry, don't remember
>which one) has an arm that extends down to a fjord.
>
>shipful of little old american ladies with blue hair and fat husbands.
>(Oh my! Look at those MOUUUUNTAINS! Isn't that just SOOOMETHING!)
Yes how tipical, I am embarased to be a US Citizen when tourism is mentioned

>A couple of years ago a joker put up a HUGE sign on the glacier
>that read SLARTIBARTFAST WAS HERE. Few of the little old ladies got
>the joke, however.
>
>I seem to remember that the sign stayed there for some time, and
>eventually melted its way into the glacier wall, so that it could
>just barely be seen through the ice.
>

>Bjorn

Hey Bjorn, you froods can be on the international news and propably even get
D. Adams to attend. All you have to do is make a large about 2 or 3 meter
slartibartfast head and sig out of clear blue plastic and bury it just below
the surface of an easily accessable Glacier. You can invite D. Adams for the
burying ceremony, you can claim it as environmental art, after all the guy
who wraps islands with red cloth gets away with it so why shouln't you.

-ara
a...@wam.umd.edu

Linda Penington

Nov 18, 1991, 11:59:29 PM11/18/91

I think you'll find that it's both his signature and a picture of his
face - the signature was incomprehensible to Arthur 'cos it was in
Magrathean or something - it was the face he recognised.
Linda

Kristian Wiklund

Nov 19, 1991, 8:54:43 AM11/19/91
ickl...@descartes.waterloo.edu (Ian Klinck) writes:

The Swedish translation claims that it's his picture.
(The Swedish translation has very little in common with
the Original Book sometimes...)
hans-kristian wiklund / d1...@dtek.chalmers.se
"To know that you know what you know, and to not
know what you don't know, that's true knowledge."

Kendric D Beachey

Nov 19, 1991, 12:22:42 PM11/19/91
>The Swedish translation claims that it's his picture.
>(The Swedish translation has very little in common with
> the Original Book sometimes...)

Speaking of translations, can anyone tell me where I can get a Spanish
translation of any/all HHGTG n
books? (Sorry, disregard the n at the end of HHGTG....I hate vi with a
passion :-) )

Thanks.

Kendric

Sam Guidice

Nov 20, 1991, 4:47:29 PM11/20/91
In article <1991Nov15.0...@monu0.cc.monash.edu.au> ins...@lindblat.cc.monash.edu.au (Linda Penington) writes:
>It's been ages since I've quoted aloud - my friends have long banned
>quotes in any context whatsoever - even when the quotes are appropriate!
and you still consider them friends?
Hmmmm

>Such cretins! Such...dare i say it...Golgafrincham-like attitudes!

^agreed!

Jay Dritz

Nov 21, 1991, 2:15:49 AM11/21/91
Well, sorry about the messed up top there.

1. To end all of the controversy about the monkeys, etc., let us presume that
we know the number of characters in Shakespeare's Hamlet (including letters,
and spaces, but not punctuation, etc.). We shall call this number N.

Therefore there are N characters in Hamlet. anyone who knows a little
probability will know that the probability of having Hamlet in a given
set of N characters is 1/(27^N). This is extremely improbable, yet
entirely possible. Eventually, the monkeys would get a set correct.

2. Speaking of symbolism, etc. (or were we), has anyone noticed that the
letters in Sub-Etha Sens-O-Matic, that is the first letters, spelled
backwards is "MOSES"??? Strange, yet true!!!

---Jay dr...@husc.harvard.edu