The best Disney cartoon

Constance Cochran

Jan 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/3/97

James wrote:

> I submit the following statement:
>
> No Disney television cartoon for the last 5 years has come close to
> equalling the quality of Darkwing Duck. For cartoon humor I now have to
> turn to Freakazoid, the Tick, Animaniacs, Life with Louie, and Pinky and
> the Brain.

There's no disputing the wonderful sense of humor of Darkwing Duck.
Offbeat, slightly dark, a bit anarchic...but on overall quality, I've
got to assert that two other shows reign supreme. Gargoyles
(naturally!) and Tale Spin. Gargoyles has the drama, continuity,
ground-breaking animation. Tale Spin, although it lacked the continuity
and depth of the Gargoyle plots, also had some great dramatic moments,
some breathtaking animation (oh, those clouds! that sky! those
sunsets!) and hilarious characters ("I am colonel Sthpigot! Perhaps
you've heard of me?") First, there was Tale Spin...then there was
GARGOYLES.

For other Tale Spin and Gargoyles fans reading this: what was the
episode that made you fall in love with them, once and for all? For
Tale Spin it was "Stormy Weather." (Baloo: Where's my navigator when he
needs me?). And for Gargoyles: "The Mirror." I think Puck had
something to do with it...of course the romantic tension between Elisa
and Goliath didn't hurt either...:)

--Eilonwy

C. Walker

Jan 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/3/97

>James wrote:
>>
>> I submit the following statement:
>>
>> No Disney television cartoon for the last 5 years has come close to
>> equalling the quality of Darkwing Duck. For cartoon humor I now have to
>> turn to Freakazoid, the Tick, Animaniacs, Life with Louie, and Pinky and
>> the Brain.
>
>There's no disputing the wonderful sense of humor of Darkwing Duck.
>Offbeat, slightly dark, a bit anarchic...but on overall quality, I've
>got to assert that two other shows reign supreme. Gargoyles
>(naturally!) and Tale Spin. Gargoyles has the drama, continuity,
>ground-breaking animation. Tale Spin, although it lacked the continuity
>and depth of the Gargoyle plots, also had some great dramatic moments,
>some breathtaking animation (oh, those clouds! that sky! those
>sunsets!) and hilarious characters ("I am colonel Sthpigot! Perhaps
>you've heard of me?") First, there was Tale Spin...then there was
>GARGOYLES.

I can understand "Gargoyles" (I made the same comment myself) but I'm not
so sure about "TaleSpin". Admittedly, its been a while since I've seen
the latter, but I don't remember being that impressed with it. Alas, due
to Disney's old TV show deporatation policy, I can only see "TaleSpin" on
the Disney Channel, of all places. Oh well. Next time I get a free
preview I'll check it out.

--
C. Walker, agent of F.O.W.L and member of the Iluminati Society.

C. Walker

Jan 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/3/97

>I submit the following statement:
>
>No Disney television cartoon for the last 5 years has come close to
>equalling the quality of Darkwing Duck. For cartoon humor I now have to
>turn to Freakazoid, the Tick, Animaniacs, Life with Louie, and Pinky and
>the Brain.
>

>jam...@earthlink.net

Yes, "Darkwing Duck" is the best cartoon in the world, but I can't agree
with your second statement. I think "Gargoyles" is pretty darn good too,
although in different ways (forget about "Goliath Chronicles"). I liked
some of the other DA shows after "DW" as well. I think Warner animation
is starting to gain a lead on Disney in the TV category, and Disney really
needs a good orginal show to get back in the top.

James

Jan 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/3/97

MKSheppard

Jan 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/4/97

It was Tale Spin, of course!!

I really liked the show, because it had a lot of funny moments, like in
Thembria, refrigerators are heaters!

Susan C. Mitchell

Jan 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/5/97

Constance Cochran <eil...@earthlink.net> wrote:
: James wrote:
: >
[...]

For me, the key moments were in "Plunder and Lightning," the TaleSpin
pilot episode. The first had Kit aboard the _Iron Vulture_, trying to
escape with the box containing the power crystal. As he runs through the
corridors, he grabs a grappling-hook gun, with a strange, dark, too-mature
scowl. He means, of course, to use it and his airfoil to "hitch a ride"
on a passing airplane ... but if he has to put one of those hooks right
through a pirate, *he will*.

Right then, I knew this was going to be an interesting character. My
suspicion was confirmed when he introduced himself to Baloo, and later to
Rebecca: "Kit ... Cloudkicker." Hesitating, looking a little dubious.
Is "Cloudkicker" his real name? I know it's the only one he uses, perhaps
the only one he knows; but is it the one he was born to? And later, his
explosive confrontation with Baloo: "*I* was a pirate! You happy now?"
and, "I got no family, no home. I took up with Karnage's gang about a
year ago, but I got ... sick of them." (And yes, I am working on a fanfic
story that explores what lies behind that hesitant, "I got sick of them.")

You cite "Stormy Weather," and I have to say that that's one of my
*favorite* episodes. The relationship between Kit and Baloo is
wonderfully drawn. And this episode -- in which Don Karnage and the air
pirates never appear -- gives us, I think, an insight into what Kit's life
with them was like: not just excitement and danger, but violence and
constant betrayal. *He's afraid to trust*. Even after Baloo rescues him
at the end of "Plunder and Lightning," he doesn't think the pilot will
want him back as a partner. And as late as "Stormy Weather," Kit is
*still* reluctant to really believe that Baloo will "have him back."
After his time with the pirates, what reason has he to ever trust *any*
adult again?

The real clincher was "From Here to Machinery," the first episode
broadcast *as an episode* after "Plunder and Lightning" was run in a
two-hour slot. Good dialogue, a well-drawn guest character, social
sympathies (unemployment, soup lines, a hint that there *is* a Depression
going on), Shere Khan *not* shown as a comic villain (something I'd
feared), and Baloo's nightmare written as drama, not comedy. All the way
through, I was muttering under my breath, "Yes! *Yes*! They're going to
do it right!"

(Uh, maybe I should mention that I'm sort of a TaleSpin fan, kind of,
maybe, a little bit ... )

Think globally, act locally.
Susan

--
================== NEW ADDRESS: sus...@primenet.com ==================
"Gadfly is what they call you when you are no longer | "sus...@xroads.com"

Constance Cochran

Jan 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/5/97

Susan C. Mitchell wrote:

> Right then, I knew this was going to be an interesting character. My
> suspicion was confirmed when he introduced himself to Baloo, and later to
> Rebecca: "Kit ... Cloudkicker." Hesitating, looking a little dubious.
> Is "Cloudkicker" his real name? I know it's the only one he uses, perhaps
> the only one he knows; but is it the one he was born to? And later, his
> explosive confrontation with Baloo: "*I* was a pirate! You happy now?"
> and, "I got no family, no home. I took up with Karnage's gang about a
> year ago, but I got ... sick of them." (And yes, I am working on a fanfic
> story that explores what lies behind that hesitant, "I got sick of them.")

Actually, I am also almost finished an incredibly long tome on Kit's
back story. It's called "Tail Winds" and I'll probably send it to DAFT
and post it in parts here. It goes into who Kit's parents were and
where he got the name "Cloudkicker" (not his "real" name -- you'll see)
and what happened to said parents...I go into his back story with
Karnage a bit. It doesn't have *details* of that year, but by way of a
teaser allow me to mention it does have a flashback of Karnage and Kit's
first meeting...

Can't wait to read your story, though. I'd love to know at what point
he made the decision to leave...was it one particulary, heinous act that
just cemented all the smaller things he'd been noticing? Or was it
something more personal?

> You cite "Stormy Weather," and I have to say that that's one of my
> *favorite* episodes. The relationship between Kit and Baloo is
> wonderfully drawn. And this episode -- in which Don Karnage and the air
> pirates never appear -- gives us, I think, an insight into what Kit's life
> with them was like: not just excitement and danger, but violence and
> constant betrayal. *He's afraid to trust*. Even after Baloo rescues him
> at the end of "Plunder and Lightning," he doesn't think the pilot will
> want him back as a partner. And as late as "Stormy Weather," Kit is
> *still* reluctant to really believe that Baloo will "have him back."
> After his time with the pirates, what reason has he to ever trust *any*
> adult again?

Nice point. Kit's a wonderfully complicated character. He fluctuates
between being all-tough one moment; he's a kid but has seen a lot for a
kid, he can fly a plane, he's battled with pirates; and then the next
moment he seems terribly vulnerable. I really like the ep "Flight
School Confidential." Kit struggles so hard to assert his independence,
to learn how to fly, goes through a sort of adolescent rebellion. But
he gets in way over his head and Baloo has to talk him through pulling
up the nose of his plane so he doesn't crash. Good dialogue there:
Baloo, over the radio, says "You did it, Little Britches!" And Kit
answers "No. You did."

> The real clincher was "From Here to Machinery," the first episode
> broadcast *as an episode* after "Plunder and Lightning" was run in a
> two-hour slot. Good dialogue, a well-drawn guest character, social
> sympathies (unemployment, soup lines, a hint that there *is* a Depression
> going on), Shere Khan *not* shown as a comic villain (something I'd
> feared), and Baloo's nightmare written as drama, not comedy. All the way
> through, I was muttering under my breath, "Yes! *Yes*! They're going to
> do it right!"

And let's not forget the technology-vs.-living person question.
Ultimately, the robot proved unable to cope with an unexpected
situation. The episode's message was that while automation can speed
some tasks, in the end you need a sentient, living person (er...I mean,
bear :) because machines *do not adapt* "Artificial Intelligence" is
when they do...and as far as I know, no one's really come up with this
yet. I also liked that they weren't afraid to show Baloo punching out
the salesman. It was very Baloo -- act first, think later, lose his
temper -- and they could have gotten squeamish about showing Baloo
punching someone, but it worked so well for the character.

--Eilonwy

Andrew

Jan 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/6/97

ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha!

C. Walker

Jan 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/6/97

In article <5arg10$sdp$2...@mhadf.production.compuserve.com>, Andrew
<10057...@CompuServe.COM> wrote:

>ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha!

That's not really the best way to communicate either. Read my other post.

Andreas_Mueller

Jan 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/8/97

Constance Cochran wrote:

> Actually, I am also almost finished an incredibly long tome on Kit's
> back story. It's called "Tail Winds" and I'll probably send it to DAFT
> and post it in parts here. It goes into who Kit's parents were and
> where he got the name "Cloudkicker" (not his "real" name -- you'll see)
> and what happened to said parents...I go into his back story with
> Karnage a bit. It doesn't have *details* of that year, but by way of a
> teaser allow me to mention it does have a flashback of Karnage and Kit's
> first meeting...

Have download it yesterday and printed out (42 pages - WOW !!). Now i`m on
chapter 6 already, and its great !! Thanks for posting !!

-------------------------------------
Andreas Mueller DL3LRM |
muel...@rzaix340.rz.uni-leipzig.de |
-------------------------------------
Carnivores...Oy !! (Timon) |
-------------------------------------

Susan C. Mitchell

Jan 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/8/97

: Susan C. Mitchell wrote:

[...]

So far my news server has come up with parts 1, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 11. I
have only read part 1, for obvious reasons, but I'm *anxious* to see the
rest and hope they didn't end up in the bitbucket by some quirk of the
Net.

: Can't wait to read your story, though. I'd love to know at what point

: he made the decision to leave...was it one particulary, heinous act that
: just cemented all the smaller things he'd been noticing? Or was it
: something more personal?

Ummm ... yes. B-) I'm going to send it to an APA that I belong to as
soon as I finish it, and then I'll probably post it here -- and might get
involved in DAFT as well!

: Nice point. Kit's a wonderfully complicated character. He fluctuates

: between being all-tough one moment; he's a kid but has seen a lot for a
: kid, he can fly a plane, he's battled with pirates; and then the next
: moment he seems terribly vulnerable. I really like the ep "Flight
: School Confidential." Kit struggles so hard to assert his independence,
: to learn how to fly, goes through a sort of adolescent rebellion. But
: he gets in way over his head and Baloo has to talk him through pulling
: up the nose of his plane so he doesn't crash. Good dialogue there:
: Baloo, over the radio, says "You did it, Little Britches!" And Kit
: answers "No. You did."

And I love the way Baloo stays *right with him* the whole way. If Kit
hadn't managed to get the nose up ... well, as Richard Bach said in one of
his articles, "There would have been not one hole in the mountain, but
two."

The only element missing from that episode -- the one thing I'd like to
have seen, and that I always "write in" in my mind -- was a single shot at
the very end, of the _Sea Duck_ flying back to Cape Suzette, with Baloo's
voice over the action: "Straight and level, Little Britches, straight and
level. That's great. No, no, just real steady, that's it ... "

: > The real clincher was "From Here to Machinery," the first episode

: > broadcast *as an episode* after "Plunder and Lightning" was run in a
: > two-hour slot. Good dialogue, a well-drawn guest character, social
: > sympathies (unemployment, soup lines, a hint that there *is* a Depression
: > going on), Shere Khan *not* shown as a comic villain (something I'd
: > feared), and Baloo's nightmare written as drama, not comedy. All the way
: > through, I was muttering under my breath, "Yes! *Yes*! They're going to
: > do it right!"

: And let's not forget the technology-vs.-living person question.
: Ultimately, the robot proved unable to cope with an unexpected
: situation.

(Every time I hear it saying, "Deviation from flight plan is
unacceptable," I hear a mental echo of, "I am not programmed to respond in
that area ... ")

The episode's message was that while automation can speed
: some tasks, in the end you need a sentient, living person (er...I mean,
: bear :) because machines *do not adapt* "Artificial Intelligence" is
: when they do...and as far as I know, no one's really come up with this
: yet.

Yes! They didn't use the word "variables" in the episode, but in modern
parlance that's the problem: a complex, non-routine activity like flying
a plane has too many variables. Like air pirates ... B-) And I thought
that the "nightmare" sequence was well handled, and fit with Baloo's
character and his situation: he's afraid of being replaced by the
Auto-Aviator, of course, but he also fears that the only way he can
overcome this thing is to *become* it.

I also liked that they weren't afraid to show Baloo punching out
: the salesman. It was very Baloo -- act first, think later, lose his
: temper -- and they could have gotten squeamish about showing Baloo
: punching someone, but it worked so well for the character.

(I imagine an argument about that scene in the story conference ... )
That sort of straightforward, albeit mild, violence isn't the sort of
thing you expect to see in *that kind of* cartoon: but for Baloo, as you
say, it's exactly in character! At that moment, he just wants to *belt*
someone, and he doesn't give a damn what the consequences might be. (This
may be why he lets Rebecca bully him so much: she's about a foot shorter
than he is, and he has *no idea* how to handle an antagonist who's too
small to hit!)

I think they did a good job with Baloo's characterization, too. Basically
emotional, sentimental, easygoing, it's hard to get him down but once he's
down he *stays* there -- he and Kit are both a good contrast and a good
team.

julian_ho

Jan 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/10/97

In article , Susan says...

>Constance Cochran <eil...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>: Susan C. Mitchell wrote:
>
>: > Right then, I knew this was going to be an interesting character. My
>: > suspicion was confirmed when he introduced himself to Baloo, and later to
>: > Rebecca: "Kit ... Cloudkicker." Hesitating, looking a little dubious.
>: > Is "Cloudkicker" his real name? I know it's the only one he uses, perhaps
>: > the only one he knows; but is it the one he was born to? And later, his
>: > explosive confrontation with Baloo: "*I* was a pirate! You happy now?"
>: > and, "I got no family, no home. I took up with Karnage's gang about a
>: > year ago, but I got ... sick of them." (And yes, I am working on a fanfic
>: > story that explores what lies behind that hesitant, "I got sick of them.")

Well, I already liked him the first time I saw him. He's not the usual "12-year-old brat-in-the-show" type. ;P)

IMHO I felt that Kit is the best animated child character there is. Maybe it's because an actual child actor is voicing Kit, not an adult actor.
(Say, what did happen to R.J. Williams and Alan Roberts anyway? They played Kit before.)

Who knows perhaps in "real-life" Baloo and Rebecca ARE actually married off-screen and Molly and Kit are actually their kids ! ;P)
(Inspired from the Mickey & Minnie relationship set by Disney.)

Cheers !

~ JULIAN HO ~ <juli...@singnet.com.sg>
TaleSpin Fan

El Loco Loco
Go Fusion, Not Confusion !

Juan F. Lara

Jan 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/10/97

In article <32CDBD...@earthlink.net>, James <jam...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>No Disney television cartoon for the last 5 years has come close to
>equalling the quality of Darkwing Duck.

I agree that "Darkwing Duck" is better than all the shows that have come
after it, but I think a couple have come respectably close. Ever since 1989
the quality of Disney TV animated shows have gone through peaks and valleys.
1989-92 was definitely a peak for WDTVA. Heck, it was their golden age, IMHO,
when "Rescue Rangers", "TaleSpin" and "Darkwing Duck" premiered. I think
net.fandom for the shows really got started with RR, and then Disney followed
that with TS, one of the furriest TV shows made, and DWD, which featured some
of Disney's funniest writing and most appealing characters.
Then Disney TV hit a nadir with "Goof Troop" and "Bonkers". GT started
out OK but then shifted all its focus on caper stories featuring only Pete and
Goofy, which were very unpopular on the net. And "Bonkers" had a lot of
internal turmoil, with the original staff canned midway through production
leading to an abrupt change in focus. The result was a show that was DOA when
it premiered. Add to that "Raw Toonage" and "Marsupilami", which played like
throwaway efforts, and "The Little Mermaid" ( I thought that show was too kid-
oriented, but it did generate a fan following. ) and people started to hold
Disney TV in very low regard during 1992-94.
But I feel that Disney TV hit another peak for 1994-96. "Aladdin" and
"Gargoyles" premiered in 1994. The staffs of both shows seemed more able to
spend time on making quality shows than on dealing with any turmoil, and it
showed on screen. I thought that "Aladdin" was a good follow-up to the film,
adding a serious side to the cast and introducing great original characters
like Sadira and Mozenrath. Then of course "Gargoyles" proved a groundbreaking
series for Disney TV with its sophisticated storytelling and anime-inspired
direction. 94-96 may have also had the failed "Shnookums and Meat" and the
weak first season of "Timon and Pumbaa", but I still felt good about Disney TV
because of the success of its two flagship shows. ( Also, Disney TV had another
triumph in the theaters with "A Goofy Movie", a great film that showed how
good "Goof Troop" could've been. )
This year, though, I'd say we're in another valley. Mainly because I
thought the flagship show, "Quack Pack", and the third season of last year's
flagship, "Gargoyles", were failures. Jim Peterson implied that QP also
suffered some turmoil in development. And "Gargoyles" lost Greg Weisman, Frank
Paur, and Michael Reaves, the people who gave the show its ambitious vision.
So we had two very conspicuous flops, IMHO. But then again, "The Goliath
Chronicles" does have fans at a.f.d.g., and now I've read postings on a.f.d.a.
from fans of "Quack Pack". So maybe I've been too harsh on these series.
Also, This year also had "Jungle Cubs", which I thought was a successful new
series, and the second season of "Timon and Pumbaa", which I thought was much
better than the first season and feature much more ambitious and well-crafted
shorts. But those two shows don't get much attention on a.f.d.a., for some
reason.
I don't know when Disney TV will have another peak. But I'm hoping that
it will come soon.

BTW: Here's how I'd rank the 19 shows seen so far, from favorite to
least favorite. How would you rank them?

LOVED 1. Chip 'n' Dale: Rescue Rangers
2. TaleSpin
3. Darkwing Duck
4. Gargoyles
LIKED 5. The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
6. The Lion King's Timon and Pumbaa
7. Aladdin
8. Adventures of the Gummi Bears
9. The Jungle Book's Jungle Cubs
NEUTRAL 10. The Mighty Ducks
11. Goof Troop
12. The Shnookums and Meat Funny Cartoon Show
DISLIKED 13. Wuzzles
14. The Little Mermaid
15. Duck Tails
HATED 16. Quack Pack
17. Marsupilami
18. Raw Toonage
19. Bonkers

- Juan F. Lara
Visit my Disney TV fanpages at:
http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~jfl/intro.html

"Come Along. You Belong. Feel the Fizz."
- Profound Wisdom from the Cola Cult

C. Walker

Jan 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/10/97

In article <5b6slq$l...@piglet.cc.utexas.edu>, j...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Juan
F. Lara) wrote:

> LOVED 1. Chip 'n' Dale: Rescue Rangers
> 2. TaleSpin
> 3. Darkwing Duck
> 4. Gargoyles
> LIKED 5. The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
> 6. The Lion King's Timon and Pumbaa
> 7. Aladdin
> 8. Adventures of the Gummi Bears
> 9. The Jungle Book's Jungle Cubs
> NEUTRAL 10. The Mighty Ducks
> 11. Goof Troop
> 12. The Shnookums and Meat Funny Cartoon Show
> DISLIKED 13. Wuzzles
> 14. The Little Mermaid
> 15. Duck Tails
> HATED 16. Quack Pack
> 17. Marsupilami
> 18. Raw Toonage
> 19. Bonkers

I agree with most of what you say. I am surprised how high you put "Timon
& Pumbaa", but I guess the 2nd season really was better, eh? I've gotta
say, I don't know much about the Saturday morning cartoons, especially the
later ones, and I've never seen "Jungle Cubs". Maybe I should try it out.

I think I liked "Goof Troop" a lot better than most people. Its nice to
see you at least put it in neutral. Its also interesting that many like
you put "Mighty Ducks" before "Quack Pack". Another duck show oughta be
higher than another "Ninja Turtles" clone. But I guess that shows just
how much "QP" really failed. I am surprised that you put "DuckTales" in
"disliked". I thought most people liked that one. I think its Chris
Barat's favorite Any comments on "DuckTales", people? I liked it, but I
was a kid then and I even liked the original "Ninja Turtles". Believe or
not though, there are some good forms of "TMNT". E-mail me for details,
cause this is getting off topic.

Anyway, nice to hear what you had to say. Maybe more can chip in. Please?

Jaime Chan

Jan 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/11/97

> HATED 16. Quack Pack
> 17. Marsupilami
> 18. Raw Toonage
> 19. Bonkers

You must think I'm some sort of crazy person, but I actually watch
every single episode of "Bonkers," even though I didn't like it that
much. I've always wondered why Disney has changed Bonker's appearance
in his outings with Lucky than the ones in Raw Toonage. Anyways, I just
want to say that in the episode called "Never Cry Pig," or at least
that's what I thought it was called, I thought that Bonkers looked cute
in that wolf costume. I love wolves. If someone wants to say I'm a
crazy person, I don't mind if you post it here.
Jaime Chan

David Gerstein

Jan 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/12/97

C. Walker wrote:
> I am surprised that you put "DuckTales" in "disliked". I thought
> most people liked that one. I think its Chris Barat's favorite Any
> comments on "DuckTales", people? I liked it, but I was a kid then
> and I even liked the original "Ninja Turtles".
I found the first season of "DuckTales" to be a genuinely involving
and interesting series. It utilized the classic Disney comics
character Scrooge McDuck in generally good fashion, introduced
Launchpad (an excellent new character), and had some very funny,
well-plotted adventures.
Perhaps the best thing about "DuckTales" was the likability of most
of its characters -- something it picked up directly from the comics
and then developed in and of itself. At least through the first
season, we had a series where the stars included no one who spouted
constant pop-culture references, a series where one felt the stars had
emotions, one where funny didn't mean self-consciously wacky.
What's more, the first-season "DuckTales" world was one in which the
stories were generally believable and consistent in their prevailing
logic from episode to episode.
I don't know how much this counts for, but in terms of sheer
worldwide success, Disney has not had a TV cartoon to rival the
phenomenon of "DuckTales" since that time.
About the only thing I *disliked* about "DuckTales" was the emphasis
on warmth, to the extent that some classic Carl Barks comics had sweet
morals injected into them when adapted for the series, and Scrooge
himself was softened a little much at times. Still, these were only
minor drawbacks for a show that in its first season approached a level
of real excellence.
As a kid when the series first aired, I found myself making a
deliberate effort not to miss a single episode. No other Disney TV
cartoon, even the generally great "Pooh" and "Darkwing" series, had me
as such a religious follower.
I hope that one day the classic Mickey Mouse comics of Floyd
Gottfredson become a "DuckTales"-like series. It would be a sad state
if Mickey starred in a overly hip, self-consciously wacky series that
trampled on the character's great potential.

David Gerstein
<rama...@ix.netcom.com>

C. Walker

Jan 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/12/97

> I found the first season of "DuckTales" to be a genuinely involving
>and interesting series. It utilized the classic Disney comics
>character Scrooge McDuck in generally good fashion, introduced
>Launchpad (an excellent new character), and had some very funny,
>well-plotted adventures.

[snip]

So David, what was wrong with the second and third seasons of
"DuckTales"? Wasn't that when they introduced Gizmoduck? I remember
thinking that 4-parter when the introduced him was one of the better
Disney Afternoon shows I'd seen. But I really don't remember much else,
that was a long time ago, and I've no way to see it now short of buying
The Disney Channel. Couldn't they synidcate it or something?

Now that I mention it, I've always been annoyed about the length of Disney
Afternoon mult-parters. "DuckTales", "Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers", and
"TaleSpin" all had two hour (4 or 5 part) episodes for the pilot at least,
and I know for sure that "DuckTales" had several. Starting with "Darkwing
Duck" (my favorite DA show personally), Disney got cheap, and made the
"DW" pilot, "Darkly Dawns the Duck", only 1 hour (2 parts). There was
only one other 2-parter, "Just Us Justice Ducks", despite the fact that 91
episodes were made! I mean, I'm not much of a fan of "Chip 'n Dale"
anymore (sorry Juan!), but I still think its pilot was better than that of
"Darkwing", merely because they had more time to establish the charactes.
Why did Disney get stingy on multi-parters and pilots just at the time
when "Darkwing" came along? Was it just an effort to spite me? Juan, you
know a lot, you might know this.

And also, if everyone loves "TaleSpin", why doesn't it have any web
pages? Just curious.

Erin

Jan 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/12/97

>In article <5b6slq$l...@piglet.cc.utexas.edu>, j...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
(Juan
>F. Lara) wrote:
>
>> LOVED 1. Chip 'n' Dale: Rescue Rangers
>> 2. TaleSpin
>> 3. Darkwing Duck
>> 4. Gargoyles
>> LIKED 5. The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
>> 6. The Lion King's Timon and Pumbaa
>> 7. Aladdin
>> 8. Adventures of the Gummi Bears
>> 9. The Jungle Book's Jungle Cubs
>> NEUTRAL 10. The Mighty Ducks
>> 11. Goof Troop
>> 12. The Shnookums and Meat Funny Cartoon Show
>> DISLIKED 13. Wuzzles
>> 14. The Little Mermaid
>> 15. Duck Tails
>> HATED 16. Quack Pack
>> 17. Marsupilami
>> 18. Raw Toonage
>> 19. Bonkers

Well, might as well throw in my .02 worth, (oh, the order within each
category is not necc. reflective of my opinions...I still haven't really
picked an overall fave):

LOVED/LIKED: 1. Gummi Bears (held up to repeated viewings)
2. Rescue Rangers (ditto)
3. Darkwing Duck (wasn't on long enough here!)
4. Quack Pack (I'm in the minority, I know)
5. Mighty Ducks (I'm a TMNT fan, so...)
6. Aladdin (not as great 2nd time around, still good)
7. Duck Tales (ditto)
8. Gargoyles (really didn't like the Avalon stories,
but the rest were really good)
AMBIVALENT/ 9. Winnie the Pooh (it was OK)
DIDN'T SEE 10. Jungle Cubs (haven't seen)
11. Little Mermaid (OK)
12. Wuzzles (OK)
13. Raw Toonage (didn't see)
14. Marsupilami (ditto)
15. Bonkers (ditto)
DIDN'T REALLY 16. Goof Troop (never liked Goofy)
LIKE: 17. Shnookums & Meat (hated the animation)
18. Tale Spin (never really cared for the char.)
19. Timon & Pumbaa (can't figure it out..loved Lion
King, and them in it...hated the show)

Heh. It's a good thing people can't get slammed for opinions (can they?)
'cause I know some of my "Didn't likes" are others absolute faves.
<shrug> Vive la difference!

Erin :)
*******************istr...@fox.nstn.ca*****************************
.sig wanted...apply within...win fabulous prizes! <G>

David Gerstein

Jan 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/12/97

C. Walker wrote:
> So David, what was wrong with the second and third seasons of
> "DuckTales"? Wasn't that when they introduced Gizmoduck? I
> remember thinking that 4-parter when the introduced him was one of
> the better Disney Afternoon shows I'd seen.

Before I offer my opinion, I'd like to state that it's *just* an
opinion -- I have no desire to hurt the feelings of anyone who labored
hard on this generally great series, not to mention those reading this
who preferred the later episodes!
That said, the second season tried hard to make everything a little
"cooler". In some episodes, the nephews went that way (and thus
became less distinct from the kid characters on other shows). In
other episodes, pop-culture references seemed more obtrusive than had
been the case before. Maybe they were made more obvious because they
were seen as a good way to interest a kid audience. But while I think
such references work well within "Animaniacs", they didn't strike the
same chord for me in "DuckTales".

I liked the introductory episode for Gizmoduck (who was originally to
have been called Roboduck!), too. But -- and I don't mean to hurt the
feelings of anyone who worked on the show -- while it was completely
acceptable for St. Canard, I thought it made Duckburg too unreal to
suggest that it was a place where superheroes existed. Also, the
non-Gizmoized Fenton, while likable, was *very* much like Donald's
comics persona, so much so that my friends and I wondered why Donald
couldn't just have been returned to the regular cast if there was such
a strong need for a character like him.
The second season also introduced Bubbaduck, a character I found to
be cliched no matter how enjoyable he may have been. If it was hard
to accept a superhero living in Carl Barks' Duckburg, a
rock-'n'-roll-loving caveman, who owned a dinosaur, living next door
to Scrooge was an even bigger stretch.
Remember, many Bubba and Gizmo episodes were quite enjoyable. I just
felt that now the conceptual changes themselves were where the
problems lay. The addition of a superhero and a caveman to the cast,
no matter how well the individual episodes may have been written, felt
like the series was adopting inappropriate concepts. Even if the
episodes themselves were enjoyable, they weren't as believable.

But I don't want to sound like a sorehead. Even these episodes, if
not up to first-season "DuckTales", were still much more enjoyable and
better done than a whole lot of what was out there. So I don't have
much of an argument, do I? Quackaroonies!

As for why the pilot episodes went from four-part to two-part, it was
done so that they could be issued on one-hour videotapes. (Don't ask
me why a tape couldn't contain four episodes, but the standard
American-issue Disney TV show compilations have almost always
contained two apiece.)

David Gerstein
<rama...@ix.netcom.com>

C. Walker

Jan 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/12/97

F. Lara) wrote:

> LOVED 1. Chip 'n' Dale: Rescue Rangers
> 2. TaleSpin
> 3. Darkwing Duck
> 4. Gargoyles
> LIKED 5. The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
> 6. The Lion King's Timon and Pumbaa
> 7. Aladdin
> 8. Adventures of the Gummi Bears
> 9. The Jungle Book's Jungle Cubs
> NEUTRAL 10. The Mighty Ducks
> 11. Goof Troop
> 12. The Shnookums and Meat Funny Cartoon Show
> DISLIKED 13. Wuzzles
> 14. The Little Mermaid
> 15. Duck Tails
> HATED 16. Quack Pack
> 17. Marsupilami
> 18. Raw Toonage
> 19. Bonkers

I've already responded to this post, but I figured I had to put my 2 cents
in after all. For me "Darkwing Duck" is unquestionably number 1. Best
characters, best writing, best animation, best humor. No question. After
that is "Gargoyles". I almost thought this was my favorite, but the
episodes don't stand up as well in second viewings as "Darkwing". I liked
"Winnie the Pooh" from what I can remember. I like the Mozenrath episodes
of "Aladdin", but got bored with the characters and too many humans
("Gargs" is different somehow). For some reason, I liked "Goof Troop".
"Lethal Goofin'" is an excellent episodes, mainly for the lack of Goofy
and Pete. "Timon & Pumbaa" was okay. "Bonkers" was awful (but everyone
thinks that). I think I like "DuckTales", and I don't recall "Chip 'n
Dale" or "TaleSpin", the other ones most people talk about. Everything
this year stunk, and I'm not sure about the rest.

There, wasn't that enlightening. Sorry, but I haven't seen everything
recently, and I don't trust my younger judgements. Bye!

Constance Cochran

Jan 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/12/97

Julian, Ho wrote:

> In article , Susan says...
> >
> >Constance Cochran <eil...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >: Susan C. Mitchell wrote:
> >
> >: > Right then, I knew this was going to be an interesting character. My
> >: > suspicion was confirmed when he introduced himself to Baloo, and later to
> >: > Rebecca: "Kit ... Cloudkicker." Hesitating, looking a little dubious.
> >: > Is "Cloudkicker" his real name?
> IMHO I felt that Kit is the best animated child character there is. Maybe it's because an actual child actor is voicing Kit, not an adult actor.
> (Say, what did happen to R.J. Williams and Alan Roberts anyway? They played Kit before.)

Was Kit played by two different voice actors? I noticed that in some
eps with Kit, RJ Williams isn't credited. And sometimes Kit sounds a
bit different sometimes.

--Eilonwy

julian_ho

Jan 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/13/97

In article , Constance says...

>Was Kit played by two different voice actors? I noticed that in some
>eps with Kit, RJ Williams isn't credited. And sometimes Kit sounds a
>bit different sometimes.

Kit was voiced by TWO actors. Alan Roberts appeared during the last few episodes according to the production schedule probably because *Sigh!* R.J. William's voice "broke".

Say, who voiced the Jungle Aces Club members ?
- Ernie, the Cheetah kid
- Oscar
- and other kids

Just hunting for the minor tidbits...

Cheers !

Julian Ho <juli...@singnet.com.sg>

"Oh, can you feel the breeze ?
Sweeping across the land
Get up and get going
GO CATCH THE WIND !"

~ "Catch The Wind", a 1996 Japanese song which reminds me of Kit Cloudkicker.

C. Walker

Jan 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/13/97

> But I don't want to sound like a sorehead. Even these episodes, if
>not up to first-season "DuckTales", were still much more enjoyable and
>better done than a whole lot of what was out there. So I don't have
>much of an argument, do I? Quackaroonies!
>
> As for why the pilot episodes went from four-part to two-part, it was
>done so that they could be issued on one-hour videotapes. (Don't ask
>me why a tape couldn't contain four episodes, but the standard
>American-issue Disney TV show compilations have almost always
>contained two apiece.)

While I thought Gizmoduck was a decent character, I never had strong
feelings about him. I understand you're a fan of original Duckburg
comics, so you'd be annoyed about certain alterations. Myself, I was as
surprised as heck to find out a while back that "DuckTales" was actually
based on comics or any previous media other than the classic Disney
shorts. I do agree that Bubba Duck was a weak character, what with "Bubba
clubba!" and all that rot. I just don't think of him much.

It has always annoyed me about TV tapes that they only carry 2 episodes.
I wanted to rent the "DuckTales" pilot or Gizmoduck intro, but there
weren't even 2-parters at the video store! I really hate The Disney
Channel...

Wanderer

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

Jaime Chan <ca...@netcom.ca> wrote in article
<5b8u7q$k...@tor-nn1-hb0.netcom.ca>...

> Anyways, I just
> want to say that in the episode called "Never Cry Pig," or at least
> that's what I thought it was called, I thought that Bonkers looked cute
> in that wolf costume. I love wolves. If someone wants to say I'm a
> crazy person, I don't mind if you post it here.

No name-calling from my corner.:) I like that ep too ... but I prefer the
Mean Old Wolf.:)

"Yeah, I'm a wolf ... but I'm also kind, sensitive, caring ... and a fool
for hot cup of cocoa on a cold winter's night."

:)

I always wished they'd bring him back in another episode. You know, just
saying "Hi" to Bonkers every now and then.:)

Yours truly,

The wolf-loving,

Wanderer****************'Where am I going?I don't quite know.
****************************'What does it matter where people go?
wand...@why.net'*****Down to the woods where the bluebells grow.
wand...@whytel.com'*Anywhere!Anywhere!Idon't know!

RMP McDuck

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

David Gerstein <rama...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

<<If it was hard to accept a superhero living in Carl Barks' Duckburg, a
rock-'n'-roll-loving caveman, who owned a dinosaur, living next door
to Scrooge was an even bigger stretch. >>

Personally, it's a lot harder for me to accept humans living in
Duckburg
on "Quack Pack." I liked the first season of "DuckTales" better than the
Gizmoduck and Bubba episodes, but they were still good. After all,
"DuckTales" is still one of the best cartoons in my book, so I couldn't
exactly hate any of the episodes, now could I? ;)

Unlike most of the $crooge comics fans, I started reading them after
saw "DuckTales." While I do see how some of them could get upset over
how the comic-based episodes differ somewhat to the comics, I still
think the writers did an excellent job of interpreting them. Of course,
the
new characters (Launchpad, Webby, Mrs. Beakly, and Duckworth) were
a great addition!

When I was little, I didn't like the multi-parters because I always
hated
having to wait to see the next part. But now, for some strange reason,
they don't bother me. I'd like to see more used. It's very difficult to
develop
new characters' personalities in one episode, or in even two like MD. Even
on "Road Rovers" I felt that it should have used a multi-parter (Actually,
in a way it did. "Let's Hit the Road" was the first, "Dawn of the Groomer"

was second, and the upcoming "Reinging Cats and Dogs" is the
conclusion.) "Superman" had a 4-parter, didn't it? And now they're being
combined on tape! Why couldn't they have done that with "DuckTales" or
"Rescue Rangers," or even "TaleSpin?!" Hmm?

~ Becky

"Animaniacs Code:"
A! JW22 P&B++ SL- R&R++ GDF++ B&M++ HIP+ RL+ PL+ CB+ KK-
CW+ Narrator+ P+ Vr+++++ m+++++ f+++ Jeff Bennett+ Paul Rugg+
TRunt E76b Ee11b Eee6 H60 PonStupid A17 F

"Work smarter -- not harder!" -- $crooge McDuck

Charlie Adler, Michael Bell, Jeff Bennett, Gregg Berger, Corey Burton,
Christine Cavanaugh, Jim Cummings, Pat Fraley, Jess Harnell, Katie Leigh,
Steve Mackall, Maurice LaMarche, Tress MacNeille, Howard Morris, Rob
Paulsen, Kath Soucie, Frank Welker, April Winchell, (and dozens more
voice artists) Disney Afternoon, Disney comics, Cartoon Network, Garfield,

and cartoon fangirl

Yakko: "Rob Paulsen as Yakko." Ha! Yeah, right!
Dot: "Tress MacNeille as Dot." As if!
Wakko: "Jess Harnell as Wakko." I hear he's cute!

C. Walker

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97

cvwa...@ix.netcom.com (C. Walker) wrote:

>>It has always annoyed me about TV tapes that they only carry 2 episodes.
>>I wanted to rent the "DuckTales" pilot or Gizmoduck intro, but there
>>weren't even 2-parters at the video store! I really hate The Disney
>>Channel...
>>

>Hear hear! I hope some Disney marketer is reading this! While I'm not a big
>Talespin fan, Plunder and Lightening is an outstanding "movie" and really
>deserves to be released as such, but you can't find it on video! Probably
>because - as stated - they're all one hour. I was impressed when the
>Gargoyles pilots were released as a video - only to be horrified that they
>actually cut stuff out of the video release that aired originally? Somebody
>please tell me why I should've bought it? The Darkwing origin contained
>footage (small scenes) that I'd never seen on tv. It was such a joy to
>discover that! :)

Everything on the "Darkly Dawns the Duck" video tape was seen on the
"Darkwing Duck" special premier, which I saw firsthand. They showed in
syndication, back to back with... get this... "The Mickey Mouse Club"
season premier! Strange, isn't it? Later when they showed it as a 2-part
episode, they cut out a lot to fit the regular schedule. Same story with
every pilot.

The Gargoyle pilot tape is horrible. Tons of scenes are cut out. NO ONE
SHOULD BUY IT!

>Enough of my ranting :) What other 'movies' from the DA lineup would people
>like to see on videos? Just curious and trying to stimulate more conversation

I'd like to see all of em. Why not?

Lar

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97

>It has always annoyed me about TV tapes that they only carry 2 episodes.
>I wanted to rent the "DuckTales" pilot or Gizmoduck intro, but there
>weren't even 2-parters at the video store! I really hate The Disney
>Channel...

Hear hear! I hope some Disney marketer is reading this! While I'm not a big
Talespin fan, Plunder and Lightening is an outstanding "movie" and really
deserves to be released as such, but you can't find it on video! Probably
because - as stated - they're all one hour. I was impressed when the
Gargoyles pilots were released as a video - only to be horrified that they
actually cut stuff out of the video release that aired originally? Somebody
please tell me why I should've bought it? The Darkwing origin contained
footage (small scenes) that I'd never seen on tv. It was such a joy to
discover that! :)

Enough of my ranting :) What other 'movies' from the DA lineup would people

like to see on videos? Just curious and trying to stimulate more conversation

:)

Later!

Lar

Juan F. Lara

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97

In article <cvwalker-100...@sac-ca19-47.ix.netcom.com>,
C. Walker <cvwa...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> I am surprised how high you put "Timon & Pumbaa", but I guess the 2nd season
> really was better, eh?

Yeah. I would've listed T&P high in the DISLIKE area with just that first
season.

> I am surprised that you put "DuckTales" in "disliked". I thought most people
> liked that one.

I think you're right about that last point. But for me, "Duck Tales"
always seemed to have a "Gee, Whiz" tone that made the show come off as kid-
oriented to me. I think it came from the music score and the direction.
"Duck Tales", "The Little Mermaid", and "Wuzzles" are the three Disney shows
where I thought "kids' cartoon" while watching most of the episodes. But
that's just MHO.
I did like the 2nd. and 3rd. seasons more than the first, though, mainly
for Gizmoduck and the new characters that came with him. And I always liked
Launchpad.

- Juan F. Lara
Visit my Disney TV homepages at:
http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~jfl/intro.html

Scrooge: Launchpad, you're a Double-O Dope!

Cebarat

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

Yes, C. Walker is correct, "DuckTales" is indeed my favorite DTVA series.
(Hmm, I was unaware that anyone brought my name up in this group as a
seasoned authority... :-)) David Gerstein pretty much summed up my
feelings
about its high quality, though I am inclined to think that he undervalues
the
later seasons.

To those who target the years 1989-1992 as DTVA's Golden Age, I have this
question: What was the FOUNT of this Golden Age? The reason why such
quality shows as "Rescue Rangers", "Tale Spin", etc. were created in the
first place? "DuckTales", of course. Like no other series, "DT" struck
the first blow
for quality in syndicated animation. Sure, "He-Man" paved the way, but it
was
created in a vacuum where anything that moved (if only barely) could have
triumphed over the lineup of tired game shows, afternoon movies, sitcom
reruns, and aged 60's and 70's Toons that dominated mid-80's syndication.

The best proof of "DT"'s quality is the fact that it convinced Disney,
Warners, and
other studios that taking a few extra pains in the areas of writing and
animation
would pay off in the long run. It also established comedy-adventure as
the type of series that Disney could do better than any other studio. In
recent years, losing confidence in its ability to build consistently
outstanding plots and characters that one can care about, Disney has
pottered about with experiments in various kinds of series. Some have
succeeded, some haven't. I still firmly believe that only a
full-blooded return to the style of comedy-adventure that "DT" pioneered
(for example, in a Gottfredson & Murry-inspired "Mickey's Tales" series,
such as the
one suggested by David Gerstein) will pull DTVA back to the level of
Warners. In other words, they need to recapture the "DuckTales" magic.

Chris Barat
ceb...@aol.com
Homepage http://members.aol.com/cebarat/home.htm

eil...@earthlink.net

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

C. Walker wrote:
> >Plunder and Lightening is an outstanding "movie" and really
> >deserves to be released as such, but you can't find it on video!
>
> The Gargoyle pilot tape is horrible. Tons of scenes are cut out. NO ONE
> SHOULD BUY IT!

> >Enough of my ranting :) What other 'movies' from the DA lineup would people

> >like to see on videos? Just curious and trying to stimulate more conversation
>

> I'd like to see all of em. Why not?

On the subject of pilot episodes, I would (natch) love to see Plunder
and Lightning in particular go on video -- in the form it was aired in
on its premiere. I learned recently that it's first run had a scene
that was never shown again (when Becky sings "Home Is Where The Heart
Is") to Molly. And who knows what else was cut!

From what I've heard, they really did a hatchet job on the Garogyles
video movie. And yet even in subsequent airings in syndication,
something got lost -- once again, there is one scene in the first run
that wasn't in the next showings. (After Lex and Brooklyn start
fighting with the humans in the courtyard, Hudson and Goliath glide down
and Goliath banishes them to the rookery).

*smacks palm to forehead* When will I learn? When The Disney Afternoon
runs the premiere of a brand new show....YOU TAPE IT!

--Eilonwy

Susan C. Mitchell

Jan 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/18/97

Constance Cochran <eil...@earthlink.net> wrote:

: Julian, Ho wrote:
: >
: > In article , Susan says...
: > >

: > >Constance Cochran <eil...@earthlink.net> wrote:
: > >: Susan C. Mitchell wrote:
: > >
: > >: > Right then, I knew this was going to be an interesting character. My
: > >: > suspicion was confirmed when he introduced himself to Baloo, and later to
: > >: > Rebecca: "Kit ... Cloudkicker." Hesitating, looking a little dubious.
: > >: > Is "Cloudkicker" his real name?
: > IMHO I felt that Kit is the best animated child character there is. Maybe it's because an actual child actor is voicing Kit, not an adult actor.

: > (Say, what did happen to R.J. Williams and Alan Roberts anyway? They played Kit before.)

: Was Kit played by two different voice actors? I noticed that in some

: eps with Kit, RJ Williams isn't credited. And sometimes Kit sounds a
: bit different sometimes.

That would explain it! I had noticed his name missing from the credits in
some episodes.

BTW, I've now got all the parts of "Tail Winds" except #10, which somehow
didn't make it to my news server, and I'm losing my mind! I've read parts
1 through 9 and don't want to "read ahead," but this is *such* a
fascinating story that I'm tempted to. Would you consider reposting it,
or emailing it to me?

Craig Smith

Jan 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/26/97

Cebarat wrote:
> To those who target the years 1989-1992 as DTVA's Golden Age, I have this
> question: What was the FOUNT of this Golden Age? The reason why such
> quality shows as "Rescue Rangers", "Tale Spin", etc. were created in the
> first place? "DuckTales", of course. Like no other series, "DT" struck
> the first blow
> for quality in syndicated animation.

Gotta disagree here. Gummi Bears came before and had just as good, if
not
better animation.

Micheal A Crawley

Jan 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/27/97
to Craig Smith

I agree also with the Gummi Bears. Although I love CDRR (esp Gadget), The
Gummi Bears will also have one of those places in my heart. ;)

Viper aka cra...@selway.umt.edu

Cebarat

Jan 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/28/97

Disney TVA's "Golden Age," Craig Smith and Viper responded:

> Gotta disagree here. Gummi Bears came before and had just as good, if
> not
> better animation.

>I agree also with the Gummi Bears. Although I love CDRR (esp Gadget),
The
>Gummi Bears will also have one of those places in my heart. ;)

While I, too, greatly revere the Gummis (to the point of having written a
lengthy episode guide to the series), I can't agree with the implication
that "Gummi Bears" by itself could have touched off the "Golden Age" in
SYNDICATION. "Gummis" established DTVA as a going concern and proved that
it could deliver a high-quality animated product. "DuckTales" did nothing
less than revolutionize the syndicated market! Yes, "He-Man" came to
syndication first, but it stepped into a long-standing vacuum; "DT" showed
that a syndicated strip show could deliver the goods on a regular basis
without resorting to "still pictures" and heavy-handed "prosocial
messages". As a bonus, it inspired other companies to get involved in the
syndicated animation business. Could "Gummis" REALLY have accomplished
all of those things?

Indy

Jan 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/28/97

I love the Gummi Bears.. I though they had a special quality with out
being sappy. When TDA premiered here I think it was Gummi bears
Ducktails and Rescue Rangers. Then they added Darkwing Duck and a a year
or so latter added Goof Troup and took away Gummi Bears, then they added
Bonkers and took away Ducktails, I don't know what replaced Rescue rangers
and I have No idea where Dark wing Duck went, but I have the Disney
Channel and I get to see so all the other shows now Ducktails, Rescue
Rangers, Goof Troup.. I can't for the life of me find DW anywhere (and my
kids really like that show, and the only video I have found was Darkly
Dawns the Duck (which the kiddies have seen at least 250 times (lol)..

Any one know ehre to get DW or Ducktails videos (please No treasure of the
Lost Lamp as my kids have seen that as many times as DDTD)