Hipcrime: Who Is He Re: I dream loud analysts in the moronic sticky cleartext, whilst Mikie absolutely builds them too.

the Pull

Aug 3, 2001, 7:04:41 AM8/3/01

Query: hipcrime.com
Registry: whois.networksolutions.com
Results:

Registrant:
HipCrime International (HIPCRIME-DOM)
666 First Street at Arguello Blvd.
San Francisco, CA 94143

Domain Name: HIPCRIME.COM

Administrative Contact:
Robert, Returned (RRW483) hipc...@MOCHAMAIL.COM
HipCrime International, unLtd.
Kanaalstraat 666, IIIth floor
Amsterdam
NL
31-20-884-0905 31-20-884-0905
Technical Contact:
Robert, Returned (RRT473) hipc...@PRIVACY.NU
HipCrime International, unLtd.
666 First Street at Arguello Blvd.
San Francisco, CA 94143
US
1-888-392-4832 ext 291-302-9774 1-503-217-9241
Billing Contact:
Robert, Returned (RR334-ORG) hipc...@USA.NET
HipCrime International
666 15th Street
at Colfax Apartment #13 1/2
Denver, CO 80211
US
[No phone]

Record last updated on 08-Apr-2001.
Record expires on 03-Jul-2001.
Record created on 02-Jul-1996.
Database last updated on 2-Aug-2001 05:03:00 EDT.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS14.AMERITECH-HOSTING.NET 209.238.184.50
NS15.AMERITECH-HOSTING.NET 209.238.184.51

I would guess the emails are correct, probably uses one.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Hipcrime&start=60&hl=en&safe=off&rnum=67&selm=D1D09454.E4725A99%40izybo.org

He just released a new version of his now opensource hipcrime agent.

Here he talks a bit about how he got into this stuff:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Hipcrime&start=60&hl=en&safe=off&rnum=68&selm=spicy_dust-066606660666%40edo53-01-122.nt.saix.net

Damn, google is good, though.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Hipcrime&start=60&hl=en&safe=off&rnum=69&selm=5612ad4c883fe241d24b31c4e064225e%40dizum.com

His email addy, prolly one he answers.

https://ssl.dizum.com/

Damn nice site.

http://www.sabotage.org/ hosts it. (http://www.sabotage.org/handbook/)

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&safe=off&th=b45e831974ae733a,3&seekm=ranunculus93-2307011059360001%40hunt-pri4-a23.txucom.net#p

"You think my name is Robert, but then wasn't it JoWazzoo (way back
when)
who "discovered" that my real name is James? Think about it. Where did
the R.R. info come from originally? No points for guessing the obvious,
the InterNIC. Those guys fly on auto-pilot, so you can give their form
any nonsense you please. As long as the email address and name server
entries are correct, then domain registration will succeed."

Yeah, 666 will be a real address...

"Would somebody, who had an eye towards anonymity from Day One, provide
any real info to the NIC? Go back and look through the archives at all
various suggestions that have been made with respect to my RL identity.
His name is real name James, no it's Robert. He's an ex-Pat Yankee, no
he's an ex-Pat Brit. Where did the info contained in those rumours come
from? Only two places:

a. the interNIC
b. my 'net friends

Which of those do you trust more?

Recall when Doctor Dynosour (and the cabal Mobile Team, S.P.U.T.U.M) set
up a sting on the operator of V-Site? All because he supposedly met me
in person once. And what info did he have? Same like the NIC.

Or what about Debbie, the troll "reporter"? What did she discover?
Same.
666 First St at Arguello, SF, CA, 94143 (c'mon down!). And did you
notice
what Consulate is in that block? Can't believe you have not sussed that
little (non)clue yet. It should hip you to the fact that you've even
got
my current location all wrong.

But thanks for playing the censor-you,censor-me game show. Tune in
tomorrow,
Same Hip Time, Same Hip Channel.

... HipCrime"

Here is his first agent he spoke of:

http://home.earthlink.net/~dunig/

http://extra.newsguy.com/~rchason/

There is a lot of other shit. Personally, my guess is he is posting
those messages under his own name. Which reveals quite a bit about him.

One could easily go through those messages and pick out identifying
data about him. One thing is for sure. If he is reading this,
then he knows that he knows how to track himself down. He knows his
own mistakes. If he doesn't, then he doesn't have a clue about how
to hide his own tracks.

Ultimately, he is a man who can not speak well. A mute. The poetically
retarded. He speaks with mumblings, unable to counter with logic or
wisdom. He is afraid of the anger of others... and can not console
himself with reality.

Like a little boy, whose mother lectures him, he can't reply... because
there was no logic to his misdeed. But, he is angry, and wants to get
back at his mother.

Julie Kandinski wrote:

> Hi Rob ...
>
> Are you still Road Runner's biggest fan, even though
> they make you look like Smoked Pork, Texas-style?!?
>
> ... HipCrime
>
> --
> The screens, TCP/IPs, and laptops are all silly and fake.

the Pull

Aug 3, 2001, 8:44:07 AM8/3/01
Okay, so I needed to work off some steam, and traced him down
to the "full story". Below is the results of that research.

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=HipCrime&as_eq=vocab&as_drrb=b&as_mind=29&as_minm=3&as_miny=1995&as_maxd=3&as_maxm=8&as_maxy=1996&num=100

From: admin (ad...@superhot.com)
Subject: Hostile Applets on Haight St. www.hipcrime.com
Newsgroups: alt.2600.codez, alt.2600.crackz, alt.2600.hackerz,
alt.binaries.cracks, alt.bio.hackers, alt.cracks
(This is the only article in this thread)
Date: 1996/07/30

Check the applets out at http://www.hipcrime.com on Haight St....

*********

From: Peterson Penny (pete...@ucsub.Colorado.EDU)
Subject: Check out Haight St. web page at www.hipcrime.com
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.compuserve
(This is the only article in this thread)
Date: 1996/07/18

Garcias ghost lives on Haight St in SF at www.hipcrime.com

**********

From: Peterson Penny (pete...@ucsub.Colorado.EDU)
Subject: http://www.hipcrime.com
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.america-online
(This is the only article in this thread)
Date: 1996/07/18

Visit Haight St....

*****************

Apparently, his first posts. No posts by a "hipcrime" were found before
this. Further,
this is what he said it was about in his post here, which I believe has
some validity
to being his:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Hipcrime&start=60&hl=en&safe=off&rnum=68&selm=spicy_dust-066606660666%40edo53-01-122.nt.saix.net

There were mentions of a "hipcrime", "hipcrime vedors".

So, "Garcia's Ghost" is a hostile applet. Where is the "Scanalyzer"?

Anyway, this is the first mention of it. Previous, I search from Mar
1995 and up a few months.

"Thee BlueLister was the first example, where NANAE fools
confused the author of ActiveAgent with one of its users. If you want
to have
any hope of getting control back, you are going to have to realise that
this
is not one kook acting alone, but rather one programmer making tools for
all
the kooks."

So, while this struck a chord in me, I didn't pay attention, when
re-reading the spam
post. Okay, so let us assume the above posting is real.

Misspellings, regional, unique:

"realise"
"undoubtably"
"Boy-o-Boy" -> potentially unique
"yep" -> regional
"ain't" -> regional
"(-;" -> regional, in time
"over-the-top" -> unique
duncecap
high-horses
Grafitti
EmailBox
dialup
big-hearted
real-life
real-world
tiny-little
y'all
on-topic
remailer-baby
green-folks
social-mandate
recieve

Probably, from this, one could trace him to other identities on the
Usenet and
web.

*****************

Here, I moved up from Aug 96 to December. Now, from three posts to 44.

But, most are about the agent.

Here is an interesting one:->

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=HipCrime+-vocab&num=100&hl=en&safe=off&as_drrb=b&as_mind=29&as_minm=3&as_miny=1995&as_maxd=3&as_maxm=12&as_maxy=1996&rnum=14&selm=45u0TD47w165w%40bwalk.dm.com

>Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 23:21:32 -0700
>From: HipCrime <rob...@precipice.V-site.net>
>To: cyphe...@toad.com
>Cc: ad...@superhot.com
>
>Here's a collection of your various threats:
>
>> I suspect you may soon be hearing from far worse than I ...
>> Some punks take their colors seriously.
>> Congradulations. I had at first thought you were a simple fool.
>> Now I'm certain you're an idiot.
>> Sounds to me like every remailer can legally be altered to send a
>> small message to hipcrime every time it processes any messages.
>> if anyone's got a T3 handy, you could always take the direct approach.
>
>In making these threats, you've mistaken me for someone who cares.
>Someone who cares what you send to my box. I'm actually, and in fact,
>homeless in real life. Yes, both an "idiot" and a "simple fool":
>your compliments in my book. My only equipment is access to friends'
>computers, and a free dialup that the big-hearted SysOp at V-Site gives
>me. (By the way, you've been merciless to him).
>
>In view of this fact: Do you think that even 1,000,000 messages into
>my stupid electronic mailbox would matter? Some nights my worries are
>of a place to sleep, not how many messages will accumulate during my
>slumber.
>
>CypherPunks live so far from real-life, that it's impossible for them
>to communicate rationally. Never having any danger in their lives,
>they want to avoid encountering any in "cyberspace". They are trying
>to craft that new world according to their intellectual guidelines.
>Trying to make sure real-world annoyances have been removed.
>
>This is what HipCrime's real offense was: providing a piece of
>unexpected (ok,ok "unwanted", if you prefer) stimulus. Only a single
>one. A tiny-little URL, but sent without warning, anonymously, and
>pointing to a strange site.
>
>Since I've UNSUBSCRIBED from your CypherWimps mailing list, and still
>receive your messages (two copies, the one you send me, and the one
>you send the list), my only conclusion is that Email is your only
>social discourse. Take notice that after this, all future messages
>from y'all will feel the power of the DELETE button (unread and barely
>noticed).
>
>Think of how easy it is to move around in "cyberspace". Do this math:
> 1,000,000 messages = 1 new domain + 1 new mailbox.
>
>In this argument you win, junk Email is SPAM ... but junk SnailMail is
>
> THIN SLICES CUT FROM OUR PRECIOUS FORESTS.
>

>-- HTTP://www.HIPCRIME.com"

********************

So, was that really him? "rob...@precipice.V-site.net"?

********************
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=HipCrime+-vocab&hl=en&safe=off&as_drrb=b&as_mind=3&as_minm=3&as_miny=1997&as_maxd=3&as_maxm=7&as_maxy=1997&rnum=3&selm=5jjtng%24a3m%40knot.queensu.ca

True story?

"I was shocked to hear from several people (currently totalling 10)
who reported being subjected to the same attacks. What did we all have
in common? We had all recently complained to HipCrime about his
ActiveAgent SPAM generator.

At that time I began a private victims mailing list, primarily so that
we could share experiences and try to track down the individual (known
only as "Robert", probably located in San Francisco), and so I could
keep track of exactly who was a victim."

***************
HIPCRIME.COM is a World Wide Web "grey-area" experiment,
with several separate exhibits housed under a single domain:

Lots of Love - fractal images, taken to a hand-made extreme
Haight Street - we need to have bad neighborhoods somewhere
Stark Raving Math - adventures in numerological psychedelia
Neural Net Lotto - AI? or, financial planning? You decide!
Money Mutilation - experimental talismanic banknote designs
Anarchist Info - collected papers to help the home hobbyist
Active Agent - our publicity center & crawling Email engine

To visit, please point your HTML browser at HTTP://HIPCRIME.COM

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=HipCrime+-vocab&hl=en&safe=off&as_drrb=b&as_mind=3&as_minm=3&as_miny=1997&as_maxd=3&as_maxm=7&as_maxy=1997&rnum=10&selm=860366708.16851%40dejanews.com

*****************
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=HipCrime+-vocab+-fodder&num=100&hl=en&safe=off&scoring=d&as_drrb=b&as_mind=3&as_minm=3&as_miny=1997&as_maxd=3&as_maxm=7&as_maxy=1997&rnum=29&selm=5l314d%24dkr%241%40news.gov.on.ca

Robert "The Weenie" of no-fixed-address wrote:

| 1. you sure like to jump to conclusions.
|
| 2. you're on Thee BlueList because of the posting you made
| to alt.2600, which pushed many of us over-the-top as far
| as complaints are concerned. This approach has been on
| the drawing board for quite awhile now.
|
| 3. censorship is never going to be tolerated. This is becoming
| a JIHAD, so it's better to quiet up now and save trouble later.

The funny thing is, Robert "Quit.Whining" thinks he has/is hurting me.
I delete the mail bombs and life continues. Meanwhile he has to find
new
providers. :-)

P.S. Do some searches in dejanews and altavista on this guy. You will
find some real laughable stuff regarding his plight as a homeless person
around circa late 1995. What a loser.

********************

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=HipCrime+-vocab+-fodder&num=100&hl=en&safe=off&as_drrb=b&as_mind=3&as_minm=7&as_miny=1997&as_maxd=3&as_maxm=12&as_maxy=1997&rnum=8&selm=01bc8984%24236f0ce0%246c7555ce%40spectre

*******************
http://www.inet-one.com/cypherpunks/dir.1996.09.12-1996.09.18/msg00125.html
http://www.inet-one.com/cypherpunks/dir.1996.09.12-1996.09.18/subject.html

earlier than the usenet
********************
CONFIRMED QUOTES:

"JMR, it's hard to believe that your English education is SO LACKING,
that you missed the fact, that in my sentence quoted above, the word
"ours" refers to MANKIND IN GENERAL, not me personally.

Go sit in the corner with the duncecap on, and don't come out until you
can read an 8th grade piece of literature (with full comprehension)."

"JMR, is everybody WRONG, who does not follow your line of
thinking??????????????

We just disagree, nobody's WRONG here.

CypherWimps need, more than anything else, to get down off their
high-horses for once.

CyberSpace ain't Reality . The reverse is true as well."

"You guys OBVIOUSLY confuse reality with cyberspace. Grafitti is actual
property damage. A message in an EmailBox is long, long way from
being comparable. Let's make use of that "education" that seems to
make you so proud."

[...]

"A message sent to a MAILTO button on a WebPage, which contains the URL
of another WebPage is EXACTLY on-topic. It's my belief that any active
"webmistress" would be interested in what other sites have to offer."

"Like hell we're not. What are you guys mad at us for? Thinking that
FREEDOM of SPEECH is much, much more important that whining computer
nerds who can't push a DELETE button."

"In that case, maybe you should learn to use the SHIFT key. Or didn't
debaters in your school take typing and/or learn about punctuation,
capitalization, and the other niceties of English communication?"

"Well, "doctor" why can't you see (with your logic) that junk Email (or
"spam") would save many, many forests if it REPLACED junk SnailMail.

Isn't it just that your "irrelevant feelings" have been hurt, because
someone used your remailer-baby in a way you hadn't planned for ?!?

Why not put your money where your mouth is, and bet me (any amount),
that spam WILL be socially acceptable by the year 2000. Particularly,
when the green-folks discover how many trees will be saved. It'll be
a social-mandate, NOT just a suggestion. Want to bet?"

--aside, he sure lost that bet, lol!

"I'll accept junk email when it costs more to send it than recieve it.
I don't have to pay for my incoming snail mail service. Most do for
email.
You are speaking on my dime, and that isn't FREE SPEECH. You want to
talk,
you pay.

"message returned, then deleted (UNREAD)"

*******************

Clarification of what Robert initially did:

Well, I finally seem to have traced a huge proportion of the junk i've
been getting to one guy, an asshole who calls himself "HipCrime". His
real name is Robert, and the most real address i have for him is
rob...@precipice.v-site.net. (I have a feeling he is somewhere in the
Bay Area, too.) Anyway, this jerk wrote a java applet called Active
Agent. It basically crawls the web looking for "mailto:" tags. It builds
a list of email addresses from this, and then lets you send a message to
all those addresses. This is fairly common for spam software, but this
guy has been giving it away on his site, and others have put it on their
sites, etc etc....

********************

the Pull

Aug 3, 2001, 8:59:18 AM8/3/01
Okay, so here is where someone would go from the below, assuming the
guy LOVES to talk - I think previous research shows that - and realizing
that he can't post his opinions about hipcrime related stuff... under
the name "hipcrime" or "robert":

I think these notes speak for themselves. Obviously, while there are
a lot more patterns to chase down, this brings you somewhere
interesting.

Misspellings, regional, unique:

"realise"
"undoubtably"
"Boy-o-Boy" -> potentially unique *** 3,380 ***

"yep" -> regional
"ain't" -> regional
"(-;" -> regional, in time

"over-the-top" -> unique 428,000
duncecap ***ONLY 392 ***
high-horses 6730
Grafitti
EmailBox
dialup
big-hearted (3770 on UseNet)
real-life (1,060,000 U)
real-world (1,060,000 U)
tiny-little 133,000
y'all
on-topic
remailer-baby
green-folks ***ONLY 222***
social-mandate ***ONLY 189***
recieve

green-folks ain't -> 15
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=green-folks+ain%27t&hl=en&safe=off&meta=site%3Dgroups

green-folks y'all -> 3
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=green-folks+y%27all&hl=en&safe=off&meta=site%3Dgroups

social-mandate ain't -> 3
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=social-mandate+ain%27t&hl=en&safe=off&meta=site%3Dgroups

social-mandate y'all -> 2
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=social-mandate+y%27all&hl=en&safe=off&btnG=Google+Search&meta=site%3Dgroups

green-folks realise -> 1
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=green-folks+realise&hl=en&safe=off&meta=site%3Dgroups

social mandate realise -> 3
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=social-mandate+realise&hl=en&safe=off&meta=site%3Dgroups

Entropy_magnet

Aug 3, 2001, 10:36:50 AM8/3/01
the Pull <hj...@hjgjh.com> quoted in news:3B6A9D59...@hjgjh.com:

> "I was shocked to hear from several people (currently totalling 10)
> who reported being subjected to the same attacks. What did we all have
> in common? We had all recently complained to HipCrime about his
> ActiveAgent SPAM generator.
>
> At that time I began a private victims mailing list, primarily so that
> we could share experiences and try to track down the individual (known
> only as "Robert", probably located in San Francisco), and so I could
> keep track of exactly who was a victim."

Seems to me, that "robert" probably just claimed to be a victim, as well,
just to get to the mailing list. At least, thats what I'd do.

the Pull

Aug 3, 2001, 10:56:10 AM8/3/01

I don't think he was so smart. That is pretty damn devious.