Boston Tea Party do-overs

Greg Goss

Apr 15, 2009, 11:35:40 PM4/15/09
I'm not sure whether I should be making this point. The original tea
party was a nihilistic protest against authority, and I'm rather glad
when establishment authority "is holding" in the current situation.

But I can only be amused when the White House tea dumping failed to go
ahead as planned because someone got the permit from the WRONG
government authority, and the tea dumpers complied with the government
assertion that they had no authority to dump the tea.

Somehow, cancelling a Boston Tea Party because the government didn't
give you the right permission seems to be counter to the whole
historical story line.
--
Tomorrow is today already.
Greg Goss, 1989-01-27

Bill Turlock

Apr 16, 2009, 1:19:23 AM4/16/09

::clap-clap!::

John Dean

Apr 16, 2009, 9:35:22 AM4/16/09
Greg Goss wrote:
> I'm not sure whether I should be making this point. The original tea
> party was a nihilistic protest against authority,

Really? Not a masonic attempt to boost local businesses at the expense of
the East India Company?
I appear to have been misinformed.
--
John Dean
Oxford

Joseph Nebus

Apr 16, 2009, 9:59:25 AM4/16/09

>::clap-clap!::

I'm reminded of the reenactment of Washington Crossing the
Delaware a couple years back which that year got cancelled because there
was too much ice in the river.

--
Joseph Nebus

powerpulle...@hotmail.com

Apr 16, 2009, 11:09:02 AM4/16/09

Just curious, but how much time do British schools spend on the
American Revolution, or whatever it is that they call it (what do they
call it, anyway?).

Is it something that kind of gets brought up during lessons on the
first World War -- "then, in 1917, the United States of America, a
former colony that used to send us a bunch of dried cod, started
sending some soldiers to fight in France..."

Peter Ward

Apr 16, 2009, 11:27:39 AM4/16/09
On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 08:09:02 -0700 (PDT),
powerpulle...@hotmail.com wrote:

>On Apr 16, 9:35 am, "John Dean" <john-d...@fraglineone.net> wrote:
>> Greg Goss wrote:
>> > I'm not sure whether I should be making this point.  The original tea
>> > party was a nihilistic protest against authority,
>>
>> Really? Not a masonic attempt to boost local businesses at the expense of
>> the East India Company?
>> I appear to have been misinformed.
>
>Just curious, but how much time do British schools spend on the
>American Revolution, or whatever it is that they call it (what do they
>call it, anyway?).

America had a revolution? Nobody tells me anything!

--

Peter

I'm an alien
email: home at peteward dot gotadsl dot co dot uk
...then they discovered PowerPoint, and everything went rapidly to hell after that.
- Philippa

Boron Elgar

Apr 16, 2009, 11:43:32 AM4/16/09
On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 16:27:39 +0100, Peter Ward <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 08:09:02 -0700 (PDT),
>powerpulle...@hotmail.com wrote:

>>> Really? Not a masonic attempt to boost local businesses at the expense of
>>> the East India Company?
>>> I appear to have been misinformed.
>>
>>Just curious, but how much time do British schools spend on the
>>American Revolution, or whatever it is that they call it (what do they
>>call it, anyway?).
>
>America had a revolution? Nobody tells me anything!

We're revolting. People all over the world know this and remind us
frequently.

Boron

Jerry Bauer

Apr 16, 2009, 11:53:17 AM4/16/09
Peter Ward <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 08:09:02 -0700 (PDT),
> powerpulle...@hotmail.com wrote:

> >> Really? Not a masonic attempt to boost local businesses at the expense of
> >> the East India Company?
> >> I appear to have been misinformed.
> >
> >Just curious, but how much time do British schools spend on the
> >American Revolution, or whatever it is that they call it (what do they
> >call it, anyway?).
>
> America had a revolution? Nobody tells me anything!

Americans are still revolting!

--
Jerry "Doncha know that you can count me out?" Bauer

John Hatpin

Apr 16, 2009, 2:10:09 PM4/16/09
powerpulle...@hotmail.com wrote:

I don't remember a word being breathed of it while I was at school. We
covered the French Revolution in some detail, as well as both our
Agrarian and Industrial Revolutions.

Don't feel bad, though - I don't think our own Civil Wars got mention
either, or I could have been asleep that term.
--
John Hatpin

Opus the Penguin

Apr 16, 2009, 2:27:17 PM4/16/09
John Hatpin (RemoveThi...@gmailAndThisToo.com) wrote:

> Don't feel bad, though - I don't think our own Civil Wars got mention
> either, or I could have been asleep that term.

Seriously? No Cromwell? No Roundheads? No Westminster Assembly? Just
Charles I, an intermission while you get some snacks, and Charles II?

--
Opus the Penguin
Why does anal-retentive have a hyphen and not a colon? - Lisa Ann

Mark Steese

Apr 16, 2009, 4:30:21 PM4/16/09
Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote in news:74nncpF14rf1vU1
@mid.individual.net:

> I'm not sure whether I should be making this point. The original tea
> party was a nihilistic protest against authority, and I'm rather glad
> when establishment authority "is holding" in the current situation.

Okay, I give up. In what sense was the Boston Tea Party nihilistic?

> But I can only be amused when the White House tea dumping failed to go
> ahead as planned because someone got the permit from the WRONG
> government authority, and the tea dumpers complied with the government
> assertion that they had no authority to dump the tea.
>
> Somehow, cancelling a Boston Tea Party because the government didn't
> give you the right permission seems to be counter to the whole
> historical story line.

Practically everything that's happened here in the States since 2000 falls
into that category. But that's the U.S. for you. I think I'll start a
movement to change the Official Motto of the United States to "America: We
Just Don't Give a Shit."
--
Mark Steese
PS: Your second question, you thought I forgot? I didn't. I never found the

Boron Elgar

Apr 16, 2009, 5:02:07 PM4/16/09
On 16 Apr 2009 20:30:21 GMT, Mark Steese <mark_...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote in news:74nncpF14rf1vU1
>@mid.individual.net:
>
>> I'm not sure whether I should be making this point. The original tea
>> party was a nihilistic protest against authority, and I'm rather glad
>> when establishment authority "is holding" in the current situation.
>
>Okay, I give up. In what sense was the Boston Tea Party nihilistic?
>
>> But I can only be amused when the White House tea dumping failed to go
>> ahead as planned because someone got the permit from the WRONG
>> government authority, and the tea dumpers complied with the government
>> assertion that they had no authority to dump the tea.
>>
>> Somehow, cancelling a Boston Tea Party because the government didn't
>> give you the right permission seems to be counter to the whole
>> historical story line.
>
>Practically everything that's happened here in the States since 2000 falls
>into that category. But that's the U.S. for you. I think I'll start a
>movement to change the Official Motto of the United States to "America: We
>Just Don't Give a Shit."

Can we fit that on the coins?

Boron

Mark Steese

Apr 16, 2009, 5:17:11 PM4/16/09
Boron Elgar <boron...@hootmail.com> wrote in

Eh, we can just leave the old motto on the coins. I mean, who cares?

Richard R. Hershberger

Apr 17, 2009, 1:30:48 AM4/17/09
On Apr 16, 2:27 pm, Opus the Penguin <opusthepenguin+use...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> John Hatpin (RemoveThisjfhop...@gmailAndThisToo.com) wrote:
> > Don't feel bad, though - I don't think our own Civil Wars got mention
> > either, or I could have been asleep that term.
>
> Seriously? No Cromwell? No Roundheads? No Westminster Assembly?

I belong to a church body which within living memory renamed its synod
presidents "bishops". More than a few have since taken to carrying
sticks. In fairness, I have yet to see one in a funny hat, but it is
only a matter of time. More to the point, they have taken to acting
like bishops, and I don't mean that in a good way. So I think fondly
on the crowds chanting "No Bishops!"

> Just
> Charles I, an intermission while you get some snacks, and Charles II?

And Nell Gwynn. We can't forget her.

Richard R. Hershberger

Nick Spalding

Apr 17, 2009, 3:27:19 AM4/17/09
John Hatpin wrote, in <puseu453k5f2ddcgk...@4ax.com>
on Thu, 16 Apr 2009 19:10:09 +0100:

We were taught about the American Revolution and both the local and
American Civil Wars, though not much about the latter and very little
about WWI. WWII was current affairs, not history.
--
Nick Spalding

John Dean

Apr 17, 2009, 11:55:25 AM4/17/09
Opus the Penguin wrote:
> John Hatpin (RemoveThi...@gmailAndThisToo.com) wrote:
>
>> Don't feel bad, though - I don't think our own Civil Wars got mention
>> either, or I could have been asleep that term.
>
> Seriously? No Cromwell? No Roundheads? No Westminster Assembly? Just
> Charles I, an intermission while you get some snacks, and Charles II?

I had all that but it was a long time ago. I remember diagrams of the
battle-lines in various of the set-tos and the boy next to me causing me to
laugh and thereby get into trouble by asking which of the shaded squares
represented Prince Rupert's little dog. There's now something called the
national curriculum which mandates what is to be taught at various stages in
a child's schooling.
Details at http://curriculum.qca.org.uk/
I deeply regret finding myself unable to be arsed to dig through it to find
the answer to the question and I don't blame you a bit if you don't either.
--
John Dean
Oxford

John Hatpin

Apr 17, 2009, 12:58:30 PM4/17/09
John Dean wrote:

>Opus the Penguin wrote:
>> John Hatpin (RemoveThi...@gmailAndThisToo.com) wrote:
>>
>>> Don't feel bad, though - I don't think our own Civil Wars got mention
>>> either, or I could have been asleep that term.
>>
>> Seriously? No Cromwell? No Roundheads? No Westminster Assembly? Just
>> Charles I, an intermission while you get some snacks, and Charles II?

*sigh* Opus's reply is missing on my newsreader.

>I had all that but it was a long time ago. I remember diagrams of the
>battle-lines in various of the set-tos and the boy next to me causing me to
>laugh and thereby get into trouble by asking which of the shaded squares
>represented Prince Rupert's little dog. There's now something called the
>national curriculum which mandates what is to be taught at various stages in
>a child's schooling.
>Details at http://curriculum.qca.org.uk/
>I deeply regret finding myself unable to be arsed to dig through it to find
>the answer to the question and I don't blame you a bit if you don't either.

At the time I was being taughtured, there was some kind of
experimentation going on, and we were taught small things in detail
without seeing the bigger picture.

For example, in Geography I don't think we were ever told about
countries in South America or eastern Asia, but we covered the
Netherlands in great detail, and I learned how to make a polder dam.

Similarly, in History, some things - like the French Revolution - were
covered in quite a lot of detail, but the overall history of our
country was not covered.
--
John Hatpin

John Dean

Apr 17, 2009, 7:12:19 PM4/17/09
John Hatpin wrote:
> John Dean wrote:

>>> Seriously? No Cromwell? No Roundheads? No Westminster Assembly? Just
>>> Charles I, an intermission while you get some snacks, and Charles
>>> II?
>
> *sigh* Opus's reply is missing on my newsreader.
>
>> I had all that but it was a long time ago.
>
> At the time I was being taughtured, there was some kind of
> experimentation going on, and we were taught small things in detail
> without seeing the bigger picture.

<snip>

> Similarly, in History, some things - like the French Revolution - were
> covered in quite a lot of detail, but the overall history of our
> country was not covered.

Uh huh. We did the Congress of Vienna for what seemed like forever and I can
still do 20 minutes on Speenhamland without stopping when I open the fridge
door and the light comes on. (Which is prolly going to come in handy before
the end of the year.) But the 18th Century is largely a blank.
--
John Dean
Oxford

John Hatpin

Apr 17, 2009, 8:03:59 PM4/17/09
John Dean wrote:

>John Hatpin wrote:
>> John Dean wrote:

>>> I had all that but it was a long time ago.
>>
>> At the time I was being taughtured, there was some kind of
>> experimentation going on, and we were taught small things in detail
>> without seeing the bigger picture.
>

>> Similarly, in History, some things - like the French Revolution - were
>> covered in quite a lot of detail, but the overall history of our
>> country was not covered.
>
>Uh huh. We did the Congress of Vienna for what seemed like forever and I can
>still do 20 minutes on Speenhamland without stopping when I open the fridge
>door and the light comes on. (Which is prolly going to come in handy before
>the end of the year.) But the 18th Century is largely a blank.

Y'know, they'd have got away with it they'd taught us all off the same
list. We'd have spent the rest of our lives talking about
Speenhamland or building polder dams and never realised that there was
anything else. But no, they didn't, did they, so I'm left not knowing
what Speenhamland was and you probably wouldn't know who Marat was or
why he died so clean.

Actually, since it's you, you probably know that too. Dammit.
--
John "off to research Speenhamland now" Hatpin

QueBarbara

Apr 17, 2009, 8:08:07 PM4/17/09

I think I'm getting the references to the Congress of Vienna and
Speenhamland, but you lost me when you got to the fridge part.

>But the 18th Century is largely a blank.

It seems like every American history class I took started with the
Erik the Red, skipped to Columbus and the first colonies, but by the
time we got to WWII (aka "The Big One") the school year was always
over. Or maybe our textbooks were just really outdated.

--
QueBarbara

Dover Beach

Apr 17, 2009, 8:32:55 PM4/17/09
QueBarbara <que.barb...@go-awaygmail.com> wrote in

> It seems like every American history class I took started with the
> Erik the Red, skipped to Columbus and the first colonies, but by the
> time we got to WWII (aka "The Big One") the school year was always
> over. Or maybe our textbooks were just really outdated.

Yeah, I remember Columbus, the colonies (including the lost one), the
Puritans, the Revolution, then some really boring stuff, you know, court
decisions, the Compromise of 1850, the Panic of 1819, tariffs, that sort
of thing. Then the Civil War. Then Reconstruction, then it was time
for finals. Men, men and more men! Did you know that women were only
invented in the 1940s, to staff the factories while the men went to war?
It's true.

--
Dover

Veronique

Apr 17, 2009, 9:44:10 PM4/17/09
On Apr 17, 5:32 pm, Dover Beach <moon.blanc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> QueBarbara <que.barbara.l...@go-awaygmail.com> wrote innews:1r5iu41ihh08966uk...@4ax.com:

You got to the 1940s? We barely even got to Reconstruction (although
we did cover the War of Northern Aggression pretty thoroughly.) Hmm,
and in 10th grade, we read All Quiet On The Western Front, and we
should have gone into the war on Germany's side, that's what I learned
in 10th grade about WWI. And also about Putnam (I can't believe I even
remembered his name, but I guess we all focus on what's important to
us) who heroically jerked the artillery gun into place all by himself
when his harness-mate either collapsed or was shot, and who seems to
be pretty much forgotten as far as on-line information is concerned.

V.
--
Veronique Chez Sheep

Bill Kinkaid

Apr 17, 2009, 9:46:38 PM4/17/09
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 08:27:19 +0100, Nick Spalding <spal...@iol.ie>
wrote:

>We were taught about the American Revolution and both the local and
>American Civil Wars, though not much about the latter and very little
>about WWI. WWII was current affairs, not history.

Which "local" civil war(s)? The Cromwell one, or the various
"troubles" in Ireland?

Here in Canada, I remember we spent a whole year on UKoGBaNIan
history, and we got a good dose of Canadian history but I don't
remember much at all about USAnian history.

But I dropped history after tenth grade. Of course since then I've
always been interested in the subject, it was just so badly taught in
school.

--
Bill in Vancouver

Hactar

Apr 17, 2009, 10:36:51 PM4/17/09
In article <lo3hu45bv0utsa118...@4ax.com>,

Bill Kinkaid <davel...@shaw.ca> wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 08:27:19 +0100, Nick Spalding <spal...@iol.ie>
> wrote:
>

> >We were taught about the American Revolution and both the local and
> >American Civil Wars, though not much about the latter and very little
> >about WWI. WWII was current affairs, not history.
>
> Which "local" civil war(s)? The Cromwell one, or the various
> "troubles" in Ireland?
>
> Here in Canada, I remember we spent a whole year on UKoGBaNIan
> history, and we got a good dose of Canadian history but I don't
> remember much at all about USAnian history.

They told us about the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor, but never said
where PH _was_. Took me years before I found it was in Hawaii, and
especially that you can go there today and see the wrecks of the Pacific
fleet.

--
-eben QebWe...@vTerYizUonI.nOetP royalty.mine.nu:81

This message was created using recycled electrons.

Opus the Penguin

Apr 17, 2009, 11:23:31 PM4/17/09
QueBarbara (que.barb...@go-awaygmail.com) wrote:

T minus five seconds and counting. When the bells ring, the
students stream out the doors, but before they can disappear for
good, a teacher properly concludes their education.

Teacher: Wait a minute! You didn't learn how World War II ended!
Class: [pause their celebration, awaiting the answer]
Teacher: We won!
Class: Yay! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

--from the Kamp Krusty episode of The Simpsons

--
Opus the Penguin
In most sciences, a failed prediction means that you discard the

Zannah

Apr 18, 2009, 1:22:07 AM4/18/09
In article
<d205ddbd-d450-4e25...@r37g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
powerpulle...@hotmail.com wrote:

Don't remember it ever being covered in my history class. Our O-Level
syllabus focused on 19th century GB History: corn laws, the Irish potato
famine, rotten boroughs, catholic emancipation, electoral reform in more
detail than anyone needs to know.

I seem to remember our teacher mentioning some unpleasantness in the
Americas that was affecting British trade.

Zannah.

Snidely

Apr 18, 2009, 2:44:40 AM4/18/09
On Apr 17, 6:46 pm, Bill Kinkaid <davelis...@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Here in Canada, I remember we spent a whole year on UKoGBaNIan
> history, and we got a good dose of Canadian history but I don't
> remember much at all about USAnian history.

1812? Fiftyfour-forty or Fight?

/dps

Nick Spalding

Apr 18, 2009, 3:15:05 AM4/18/09
Bill Kinkaid wrote, in <lo3hu45bv0utsa118...@4ax.com>
on Fri, 17 Apr 2009 18:46:38 -0700:

> On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 08:27:19 +0100, Nick Spalding <spal...@iol.ie>
> wrote:
>

> >We were taught about the American Revolution and both the local and
> >American Civil Wars, though not much about the latter and very little
> >about WWI. WWII was current affairs, not history.
>
> Which "local" civil war(s)? The Cromwell one, or the various
> "troubles" in Ireland?

The Cromwell one. We learnt very little about Ireland, I didn't know
much about that until we moved here.

--

Nick Spalding

John Dean

Apr 18, 2009, 7:38:02 AM4/18/09

Ayuh. But that's to do with my post-education interest in history, not
anything they set before me at school. Also my appearance as Jacques Roux in
a Uni production of the Marat-Sade.

Marat, we're poor and the poor stay poor
Marat don't make us wait any more
We want our rights and we don't care how
We want our revolution NOW.

Wouldn't it be nice if such sentiments had been overtaken by events before
we were even born?

Anyroadup

Speenhamland
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speenhamland

Coming soon to a parish near you
--
John Dean
Oxford

John Dean

Apr 18, 2009, 7:39:49 AM4/18/09

Uhuh. And the design spec said small feet so they could get closer to the
sink when they were washing up.
--
John Dean
Oxford

John Dean

Apr 18, 2009, 7:40:56 AM4/18/09
QueBarbara wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 00:12:19 +0100, "John Dean"
> <john...@fraglineone.net> wrote:
>

>> Uh huh. We did the Congress of Vienna for what seemed like forever
>> and I can still do 20 minutes on Speenhamland without stopping when
>> I open the fridge door and the light comes on. (Which is prolly
>> going to come in handy before the end of the year.)
>>
> I think I'm getting the references to the Congress of Vienna and
> Speenhamland, but you lost me when you got to the fridge part.

Just a reference to the old joke about showbiz diehards who do a five-minute
spot when the fridge door opens and the light falls on them.
--
John Dean
Oxford

Bill Kinkaid

Apr 18, 2009, 10:12:13 AM4/18/09

1812 was Canadian history. We covered Queenston Heights, Chrysler's
Farm and Lundy's Lane, all battles where Canada whipped Yankee ass.
So was 54.40 but we were in Ontario and never got quite as much into
western Canadian history apart from the fur trade.

--
Bill in Vancouver

Bill Turlock

Apr 18, 2009, 11:10:59 AM4/18/09

Ah, we have that in Oakland, too.

Mark Steese

Apr 18, 2009, 12:12:12 PM4/18/09
Bill Kinkaid <davel...@shaw.ca> wrote in

> On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 08:27:19 +0100, Nick Spalding <spal...@iol.ie>
> wrote:
>

>>We were taught about the American Revolution and both the local and
>>American Civil Wars, though not much about the latter and very little
>>about WWI. WWII was current affairs, not history.
>
> Which "local" civil war(s)? The Cromwell one, or the various
> "troubles" in Ireland?

Old Noll had a hand in the ones in Ireland as well as the ones in
England, and I have been led to believe he is a figure of infamy among
the Irish to this day, as well he should be. Never did like the guy.

> Here in Canada, I remember we spent a whole year on UKoGBaNIan
> history, and we got a good dose of Canadian history but I don't
> remember much at all about USAnian history.
>
> But I dropped history after tenth grade. Of course since then I've
> always been interested in the subject, it was just so badly taught in
> school.

That was my experience as well. Many years after my high school days, I
was cleaning out some papers and discovered a stack of notes I'd made
during a high school history class. I was startled to see that the class
had covered many events (e.g., the Congress of Vienna) that I had
dutifully jotted down and promptly forgotten; when I rediscovered the
Congress of Vienna in college, I would've sworn I'd never heard of it
before. (I rediscovered it when I was working on a paper about
Talleyrand. Talleyrand makes everything interesting.)

Mark Steese

Apr 18, 2009, 12:16:25 PM4/18/09
Snidely <Snide...@gmail.com> wrote in news:387e50f5-4fd3-459b-b732-
6c8625...@z23g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

They never tell you about the slogan that followed "Fiftyfour-forty": "Did
We Say Fight? Just Kidding! Forty-nine's Fine!"

Snidely

Apr 18, 2009, 4:29:41 PM4/18/09
On Apr 18, 9:12 am, Mark Steese <mark_ste...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> That was my experience as well. Many years after my high school days, I
> was cleaning out some papers and discovered a stack of notes I'd made
> during a high school history class. I was startled to see that the class
> had covered many events (e.g., the Congress of Vienna) that I had
> dutifully jotted down and promptly forgotten; when I rediscovered the
> Congress of Vienna in college, I would've sworn I'd never heard of it
> before. (I rediscovered it when I was working on a paper about
> Talleyrand. Talleyrand makes everything interesting.)

I let Georgette Heyer tell me about it. College focussed on Paris
1792 and then skipped to 1848.

And I punted on the Sorrows of Young Werther, but it pursued because
some Frenchie opera writer didn't have a better idea.

/dps

John Hatpin

Apr 18, 2009, 7:57:54 PM4/18/09
John Dean wrote:

How strange. You'd have thought the designer would have got round the
problem by turning the feet 90 degrees outwards at the ankle. Or at
the knee. Or at the hip ... hey, yes! That would be handy!
--
John Hatpin

QueBarbara

Apr 18, 2009, 8:17:14 PM4/18/09
On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 12:40:56 +0100, "John Dean"
<john...@fraglineone.net> wrote:

>QueBarbara wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 00:12:19 +0100, "John Dean"
>> <john...@fraglineone.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Uh huh. We did the Congress of Vienna for what seemed like forever
>>> and I can still do 20 minutes on Speenhamland without stopping when
>>> I open the fridge door and the light comes on. (Which is prolly
>>> going to come in handy before the end of the year.)
>>>
>> I think I'm getting the references to the Congress of Vienna and
>> Speenhamland, but you lost me when you got to the fridge part.
>>

>Just a reference to the old joke about showbiz diehards who do a five-minute
>spot when the fridge door opens and the light falls on them.

I hadn't heard that joke, so it was a genuine laugh-out-loud for me.

--
QueBarbara

Snidely

Apr 18, 2009, 8:31:48 PM4/18/09
On Apr 18, 7:12 am, Bill Kinkaid <davelis...@shaw.ca> wrote:
> 1812 was Canadian history. We covered Queenston Heights, Chrysler's
> Farm and Lundy's Lane, all battles where Canada whipped Yankee ass.

We didn't have Cornwallis helping us this time.

> So was 54.40 but we were in Ontario and never got quite as much into
> western Canadian history apart from the fur trade.

You think my Pacific Northwest History class in 4th grade would have
covered it. But that was all Whitman Massacre and Orry Gone Trail. I
picked up 54.40 later, mostly from Orcas Island, but I did pick the
main points I could toss out for an overlap in our studies.

10th grade was a preview of Western Civ, but 9th and 12th were current
affairs international, and 11th current affairs US (Black Power and
Viet Nam featured for much of the year). Unless 11th and 12th were
the other way around.

/dps

Hactar

Apr 18, 2009, 8:29:20 PM4/18/09
In article <l1qku4hp66dup3l5m...@4ax.com>,

That introduces instability. Maybe a substantial tail (see kangaroo) is
in order.

--
-eben QebWe...@vTerYizUonI.nOetP royalty.mine.nu:81

PISCES: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola
virus. You are the Lord of the Dance, no matter what those
idiots at work say. -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_

John Hatpin

Apr 18, 2009, 10:20:37 PM4/18/09
Hactar wrote:

So if their thighs were articulated outwards, women would fall over?
Onto their backs? I think we're approaching the ideal woman for a
pre-1940s man here.
--
John Hatpin

Greg Goss

Apr 20, 2009, 1:46:50 AM4/20/09
QueBarbara <que.barb...@go-awaygmail.com> wrote:

>It seems like every American history class I took started with the
>Erik the Red, skipped to Columbus and the first colonies, but by the
>time we got to WWII (aka "The Big One") the school year was always
>over. Or maybe our textbooks were just really outdated.

Our history of North America included Brendan and some Roman coins
supposedly found in Brazil, as well as a rock with Viking runes
somewhere like Minnesota (?) I have a vague feeling that some Chinese
captain was mentioned as well. I think that Heyerdahl's first Ra
voyage was in the planning stages at that point.

--
Tomorrow is today already.
Greg Goss, 1989-01-27

Greg Goss

Apr 20, 2009, 1:56:06 AM4/20/09

Charles Wm. Dimmick

Apr 20, 2009, 8:10:43 AM4/20/09
Greg Goss wrote:

> Our history of North America included Brendan and some Roman coins
> supposedly found in Brazil, as well as a rock with Viking runes
> somewhere like Minnesota (?)

I have seen the Minnesota Kensington rune stone, and talked
with Scott F. Wolter, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_F._Wolter
one of the main investigators. I'm more than half
convinced that it is genuine, based on geological
evidence.

> I have a vague feeling that some Chinese
> captain was mentioned as well.

http://www.1421.tv/

but see also:
http://www.maritimeasia.ws/topic/1421bunkum.html

Charles

Paul L. Madarasz

Apr 30, 2009, 10:09:56 PM4/30/09
On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 08:10:43 -0400, "Charles Wm. Dimmick"
<cdim...@snet.net> wrote, perhaps among other things:

>Greg Goss wrote:
>
>> Our history of North America included Brendan and some Roman coins
>> supposedly found in Brazil, as well as a rock with Viking runes
>> somewhere like Minnesota (?)
>
>I have seen the Minnesota Kensington rune stone, and talked
>with Scott F. Wolter, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_F._Wolter
>one of the main investigators. I'm more than half
>convinced that it is genuine, based on geological
>evidence.

From what I hear from linguists (and others), you seem to be in the
minority.

--

"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell."
-- Ed Abbey