The Price Flub

Mr Munyan

May 4, 2003, 8:43:07 AM5/4/03

THE PRICE FLUB

I'm mad as hell about the firing of the University of Alabama's newly hired
football coach, Mike Price.

Here is a man who, before coming to Alabama, guided Washington State to
consecutive 10-win seasons and a Rose Bowl berth last season. Yet, he was
fired before having the opportunity to coach one single game.

Coach Price got a raw deal. Plain and simple.

The brouhaha all started last month when Price took a trip to Florida to attend
a pro-am golf tournament. While there, he visited a strip club and spent a
few bucks on some private lap dances.

The name of this club? Arety's Angels.

What is really sick about this whole affair is that somebody obviously spied on
him and released the details of his behavior to the bluenoses at the University
of Alabama. When they got this information, they didn't have the good wisdom
to simply let it go.

Here is a man who was minding his own business in an entirely different state.
He didn't hurt a soul. Yet, the man's privacy was violated, and now he has
lost his job and livelihood.

Another thing that galls me to high heaven are all these liberals who have
become so damned hysterical over the so-called loss of our civil liberties and
who have the gall to oppose The Patriot Act, which was created to preserve both
our liberties and our safety.

Yet, I have heard no outcry from the liberals over the loss of the liberty and
safety that Coach Price's job had provided. When are they going to stop
getting upset over nothing and start focusing upon things that really matter?

It so happens that a lot of men I know visit these types of clubs on occasion.

This is something I have seen firsthand, especially during all the Shriner's
conventions I have attended.

Here's another thing. Some of their wives have developed the good sense to
recognize these clubs for the harmless entertainment they provide.

Case in point. About two years ago, one member of my lodge had a wife who was
skeptical. So, he took her to one of these clubs. As it turned out, they
both had a good time.

She even watched him receive a couple of lap dances. Now when he goes, she
simply tells him "Have a good time."

All of this reminds me of the lyrics of the classic film musical: The Best
Little Whorehouse In Texas (1982):

"......just lots of good will, and maybe one small thrill, but there's nothing
dirty going on. Nothing dirty going on."

Yessiree, Bob. Dolly is one woman who knows what she's talking about.

It's a damned shame that the bluenoses who executed the firing of Coach Price
couldn't let well enough alone.

Arthur Claude Munyan, Sr.

artyw

May 4, 2003, 1:25:18 PM5/4/03
mrmu...@aol.com (Mr Munyan) wrote in message news:<20030504084307...@mb-m05.aol.com>...

> THE PRICE FLUB
>

> I'm mad as hell about the firing of the University of Alabama's newly hired
> football coach, Mike Price.
>
> Here is a man who, before coming to Alabama, guided Washington State to
> consecutive 10-win seasons and a Rose Bowl berth last season. Yet, he was
> fired before having the opportunity to coach one single game.
>
> Coach Price got a raw deal. Plain and simple.
>
> The brouhaha all started last month when Price took a trip to Florida to attend
> a pro-am golf tournament. While there, he visited a strip club and spent a
> few bucks on some private lap dances.
>
> The name of this club? Arety's Angels.

(snip)>
> Here is a man who was minding his own business in an entirely different state.
> He didn't hurt a soul. Yet, the man's privacy was violated, and now he has
> lost his job and livelihood.

Stupidity is its own reward. This guy is the head coach of a high
profile football team in the football crazed, Bible Belt state of
Alabama. He hadn't coached a single game yet. You would think a new
coach in such a situation would do everything to keep to nose clean.
When he becomes a legend like Bear Bryant, he can get all of the lap
dances he wants (Note that I have no knowledge at all of Bear Bryant's
sexual behavior. I am sure that someone on this newsgroup will fill me
in).
Screw him (hell, maybe on of Arety's Angels already did. Maybe those
are really Arty's Angels. I should ask for a discount.)

Mark Steese

May 4, 2003, 4:16:49 PM5/4/03
Es war einmal ein Mensch, genannt mrmu...@aol.com (Mr Munyan), der
news:20030504084307...@mb-m05.aol.com schrieb:

> THE PRICE FLUB
>

> I'm mad as hell about the firing of the University of Alabama's newly
> hired football coach, Mike Price.

You're so mad that you're going to complain in afc-a! I bet they're
trembling in Tuscaloosa right now.

> Here is a man who, before coming to Alabama, guided Washington State to
> consecutive 10-win seasons and a Rose Bowl berth last season. Yet, he
> was fired before having the opportunity to coach one single game.
>
> Coach Price got a raw deal. Plain and simple.

Coach Price screwed up. Plain and simple.

> The brouhaha all started last month when Price took a trip to Florida
> to attend a pro-am golf tournament. While there, he visited a strip
> club and spent a few bucks on some private lap dances.

"Reports emerged during the week that Price spent hundreds of dollars at
a topless bar and, the next morning, a woman ordered about $1,000 of room
service and charged it to his hotel bill."
http://makeashorterlink.com/?U5C022174

> The name of this club? Arety's Angels.

So are you the one who recommended it to him? Feeling a little guilty,
perhaps?

> What is really sick about this whole affair is that somebody obviously
> spied on him

How is that obvious? It's not like he was sneaking around. He was a
celebrity sports coach in town to play in a celebrity golf tournament.

> and released the details of his behavior to the bluenoses at the
> University of Alabama.
>
> When they got this information, they didn't have the good wisdom to
> simply let it go.

"However, [University President] Witt revealed for the first time
Saturday the coach’s off-the-field actions were a source of concern. Witt
said Price 'had been warned several weeks before about his public
conduct.'

"He initially was reprimanded by Mal Moore, University of Alabama
director of athletics, in March for his personal conduct in Tuscaloosa.
He ran into trouble again in mid-April when he reportedly spent hundreds
of dollars at a topless club and had an unidentified woman charge more
than $1,000 to his hotel room in Pensacola, Fla., where he was
participating in the pro-am of the Emerald Coast Classic.

"'Coach Price had been warned several weeks before about his public
conduct,' Witt said. 'His conduct in Florida was not consistent with the
warning he received. It is not about past performance; it is not about a
single mistake; it is about the responsibility of all university officers
to conduct themselves at all times in a manner consistent with university
policy.[...]'"

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/NEWS/4price1aw.htm

> Here is a man who was minding his own business in an entirely different
> state.
> He didn't hurt a soul. Yet, the man's privacy was violated, and now he
> has lost his job and livelihood.

You have no evidence, and no reason to believe, that his "privacy was
violated."

> Another thing that galls me to high heaven are all these liberals who
> have become so damned hysterical over the so-called loss of our civil
> liberties and who have the gall to oppose The Patriot Act, which was
> created to preserve both our liberties and our safety.
>
> Yet, I have heard no outcry from the liberals over the loss of the
> liberty and safety that Coach Price's job had provided.

Been listening hard, have you? He was fired only yesterday.

> When are they going to stop getting upset over nothing and start
> focusing upon things that really matter?

Like some numb-nuts getting warned that if he didn't watch his step he'd
get fired, and then getting fired after he failed to watch his step? He
didn't even have the brains to wait until after he'd signed his contract
with the University - it would have been a lot harder to get rid of him
if he had.

And I notice that your hero didn't try to defend his behavior -- he went
all mealy-mouthed about his 'mistakes,' swore he'd never do it again
("[...]something like this will never, ever happen again to Mike Price. I
will learn from this, and I will seek help to improve certain areas of my
personal life that need improving"), and said that he prays to God every
day for forgivenness! If he won't stick up for his right to ogle
strippers, why should anyone else?

-Mark Steese
--
there's a ribbon in the willow and a tire swing rope
and a briar patch of berries takin over the slope

mike

May 4, 2003, 7:10:58 PM5/4/03

sounds like U of A's loss, someone elses gain.

Mr C

May 4, 2003, 8:39:14 PM5/4/03
mrmu...@aol.com (Mr Munyan) wrote in message news:<20030504084307...@mb-m05.aol.com>...

> Here is a man who was minding his own business in an entirely different state.
> He didn't hurt a soul. Yet, the man's privacy was violated, and now he has
> lost his job and livelihood.
>
> Another thing that galls me to high heaven are all these liberals who have
> become so damned hysterical over the so-called loss of our civil liberties and
> who have the gall to oppose The Patriot Act, which was created to preserve both
> our liberties and our safety.

I'm not sure what your message is here. Are you saying that it's not
okay to violate the privacy of Div I football coaches, but is okay to
violate the privacy rights of ordinary citizens?

Or maybe that it is not okay to report something that was done in a
public place by a public person, but it is okay to snoop through
private people's private correspondence with no reason?

Or perhaps you are saying that it's okay for the gubmen to detain
people on the basis of skin color or last name, but not for the paps
to cover titty bar stories?

Or are you saying that the Bill of Rights exists to protect us from
embarrassing scoops but not baseless intrusions by the feds?

Mr C

Austkin

May 4, 2003, 9:36:37 PM5/4/03
>While there, he visited a strip
>> club and spent a few bucks on some private lap dances.

>Coach Price screwed up. Plain and simple.

So an adult person is not allowed to do what they want on their own time?

RM Mentock

May 4, 2003, 9:56:53 PM5/4/03
Mr Munyan wrote:

> The brouhaha all started last month when Price took a trip to Florida to attend
> a pro-am golf tournament. While there, he visited a strip club and spent a
> few bucks on some private lap dances.

I'm not sure that's where it started. The writeup I saw said that he'd
been warned before the trip. Something must have happened before.

--
RM Mentock

Occam's razor is in the eye of the beholder -- Zathras

A cult of no

May 4, 2003, 11:21:25 PM5/4/03

Sure they are, but the school is allowed to fire him because they don't like
his tie.

I'd also point out to Munyan that colleges rarely have people rounded into
camps and gassed, or just disappear them in the middle of the night.
Governments have been known to do that. That's why the patriot act is one
thing, and a college firing a coach is another.

--
."Besides invading other people's countries, and forcing them to do whatever he
said, Alexander the Great was famous for something called the Gordian Knot."

D.F. Manno

May 5, 2003, 1:02:29 AM5/5/03
In article <Xns937187193714m...@216.168.3.44>,
mst...@charter.net (Mark Steese) wrote:

> "Reports emerged during the week that Price spent hundreds of dollars at
> a topless bar and, the next morning, a woman ordered about $1,000 of room
> service and charged it to his hotel bill."
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?U5C022174

That's the one thing I don't understand about the whole business--what
the woman wanted with $1,000 worth of food. Even with the high price
of hotel food, that's got to be more than one person can eat. So what
was the point? What am I missing here?
--
D.F. Manno
domm...@netscape.net

Mark Steese

May 5, 2003, 1:37:09 AM5/5/03
Es war einmal ein Mensch, genannt aus...@cs.com (Austkin), der
news:20030504213637...@mb-m28.news.cs.com schrieb:

Oh, an adult can do whatever he wants, including edit other people's
posts to obscure the points they make. As you know, I quoted an article
indicating that Price had already been warned about his public conduct by
the University. Despite the warning, he chose to go to a strip club and
evidently had at least one woman in his hotel room while he was publicly
appearing as a celebrity at a golf tournament. Maybe you don't consider
that screwing up, but I'd say it fits the definition nicely.

-Mark STeese

Mark Steese

May 5, 2003, 2:23:38 AM5/5/03
Es war einmal ein Mensch, genannt "D.F. Manno" <domm...@netscape.net>,
der news:dommanno-133769...@corp-radius.supernews.com
schrieb:

> In article <Xns937187193714m...@216.168.3.44>,
> mst...@charter.net (Mark Steese) wrote:
>
>> "Reports emerged during the week that Price spent hundreds of dollars
>> at a topless bar and, the next morning, a woman ordered about $1,000
>> of room service and charged it to his hotel bill."
>> http://makeashorterlink.com/?U5C022174
>
> That's the one thing I don't understand about the whole business--what
> the woman wanted with $1,000 worth of food. Even with the high price
> of hotel food, that's got to be more than one person can eat. So what
> was the point? What am I missing here?

According to the Mobile Register, whose reporters confirmed the story
with the staff at the Crowne Plaza, the woman wanted the food boxed up so
she could take it with her. She wasn't allowed to leave with the food,
but the Register didn't explain what happened to it afterwards. See
http://makeashorterlink.com/?T24431274

It's a tangled tale, indeed. There are also rumors that Price was under
investigation by the University for possibly buying drinks for students:
see http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z45412274

Sounds a little like Mr. Munyan's Mr. Street, with his booze in a brown
paper bag...no wonder old Arthur Claude felt the need to leap in and
defend Price.

Charles A Lieberman

May 5, 2003, 2:42:56 PM5/5/03
In article <Xns9371E61923022...@216.168.3.44>,
mst...@charter.net (Mark Steese) wrote:

> Oh, an adult can do whatever he wants, including edit other people's
> posts to obscure the points they make. As you know, I quoted an article
> indicating that Price had already been warned about his public conduct by
> the University. Despite the warning, he chose to go to a strip club and
> evidently had at least one woman in his hotel room while he was publicly
> appearing as a celebrity at a golf tournament. Maybe you don't consider
> that screwing up, but I'd say it fits the definition nicely.

I don't know that I would have taken the U of A's position, but the U of
A clearly did, and Price knew it, and went to strip clubs anyway. After
he was reminded of the school's position and urged to change his
conduct, he didn't. It's his own damn fault.

--
Charles A. Lieberman | When free speech is outlawed,
Brooklyn, New York, USA |

Sean Houtman

May 6, 2003, 9:31:14 PM5/6/03
From: RM Mentock men...@mindspring.com

>Mr Munyan wrote:
>
>> The brouhaha all started last month when Price took a trip to Florida to
>attend
>> a pro-am golf tournament. While there, he visited a strip club and spent
>> few bucks on some private lap dances.
>
>I'm not sure that's where it started. The writeup I saw said that he'd
>been warned before the trip. Something must have happened before.

You don't understand! This is Football! The most manly thing next to NASCAR!
You are trying to undermine the testosterone level of the whole world, men
should be able to get a public lap dance in complete privacy! And then lay
(heh) out a grand for a hooker and not have his wife find out! What is this
world coming to? How come nobody got beat up in this story anyway?!

Sean

--
Visit my photolog page; http://members.aol.com/grommit383/myhomepage
Last updated 08-04-02 with 15 pictures of the Aztec Ruins.

Mike

May 7, 2003, 2:17:05 AM5/7/03
Mr Munyan wrote:
> Arthur Claude Munyan, Sr.

You claim to be a school principal. What would your PTA think of your post?

-- Mike --

Charles A Lieberman

May 7, 2003, 10:42:07 AM5/7/03
In article <7tjgbvkvr533bpokm...@4ax.com>,
ket...@checkmysig.com wrote:

> Isn't there an alt.try.out.my.feeble.writing.skills newsgroup you can take
> this stuff to?

Hey, is there one? I'd love to try out my feeble writing skills
somewhere, and get useful feedback, say.

D.F. Manno

May 7, 2003, 6:19:00 PM5/7/03
In article <Jt1ua.2858$Pc5.714@fed1read01>, "Mike" <mi...@nospam.com>
wrote:

The PTA won't OK the way he does his thing
--
D.F. "Ding, ding, ding" Manno

groo

May 7, 2003, 9:18:48 PM5/7/03
Sean Houtman wrote:

> You don't understand! This is Football! The most manly thing next to NASCAR!

I think there are some NASCAR fans here, so maybe someone can explain
this to me: What is the attraction of watching NASCAR on TV? I can
maybe, if I stretch my imagination, understand why someone would go to
see this in person (although I would personally consider it cruel and
unusual punishment). But why does anyone watch cars drive around in
circles on TV?

Gary S. Callison

May 7, 2003, 8:33:43 PM5/7/03
groo (gr...@groo.org) wrote:
: I think there are some NASCAR fans here, so maybe someone can explain

: this to me: What is the attraction of watching NASCAR on TV? I can
: maybe, if I stretch my imagination, understand why someone would go to
: see this in person (although I would personally consider it cruel and
: unusual punishment). But why does anyone watch cars drive around in
: circles on TV?

Same reason people watch people or horses run around in circles, or people
running back and forth trying to put an orange ball through a hoop ten
feet up in the air, or people running up and down a field generally
beating the snot out of each other over a weird-shaped brown ball, or
folks traipsing across the lawn thwacking at this little white ball, or
robots built by geeks whacking the hell out of each other (the robots,
not the geeks), or men scratching themselves, chewing things, and playing
a kids' game, or a couple big guys punching each other in the face, or
people with wacky norwegian names sliding down hills on a fiberglass slat
or two, or a bunch of people who are probably all either canadian or
russian skating around an ice rink and pretending very poorly to not be
whacking each other with sticks, or...

--
Huey

GrapeApe

May 7, 2003, 9:00:28 PM5/7/03
<< this to me: What is the attraction of watching NASCAR on TV? >><BR><BR>

These days, they keep drivers point of view cameras in the cars looking out on
the track, so it feels like you the viewer, are the driver. Its like playing a
video game almost.

You could call the Blues a 12 bar form that is generally three chords, with the
first lyric line repeated, then closed with a different line, and describe
quite a bit of the Blues out there. But adherence to that form, like cars
driving in a circle, is not what makes it interesting, it is the variations
and surprises from the expected that draws the fans.

Gus

May 7, 2003, 9:03:09 PM5/7/03
>From: huey

>groo (gr...@groo.org) wrote:
>: I think there are some NASCAR fans here, so maybe someone can explain
>: this to me: What is the attraction of watching NASCAR on TV?

:::snip:::::>

>Same reason people watch people or horses run around in circles,

:::snip:::::>or a bunch of people who are probably all either canadian or

>russian skating around an ice rink and pretending very poorly to not be
>whacking each other with sticks, or...

**********************************

I am firm believer that I should go to events in real life at least once for
the experience..... But after that, it is TV for me,
"NASCAR" for instance, I get to see all the wrecks many times, from many
angles, at different speeds and at the track I miss 60% because I was looking
at some pair of short shorts or something. The potty is much closer and if I
tape it , I don't even have to miss any of it
Besides, the food and drink is much cheaper and I can go to all the events
that would cost me millions if I did it in person and as for NASCAR, man , all
the pretty colors....... Who would want to resist or miss?

Bob Ward

May 7, 2003, 9:20:28 PM5/7/03

Which is...?

Lalbert1

May 7, 2003, 9:26:47 PM5/7/03
In article <HBhua.2390$mD5.8...@dca1-nnrp1.news.algx.net>,

I was looking at all the examples you gave, and with the exception of skiing
and ice skating all of them are games/sports that have a lot of money bet on
their outcome. I wonder if there is any significant amount of money bet on
NASCAR events.

Les

Lalbert1

May 7, 2003, 9:35:53 PM5/7/03
In article <g6cjbv85gjgjbaag4...@4ax.com>, Bob Ward
<bob....@verizon.net> writes:

>Which is...?

That some people like broccoli and some don't.

Les

artyw

May 7, 2003, 9:38:22 PM5/7/03
"D.F. Manno" <domm...@netscape.net> wrote in message news:<dommanno-5D51F0...@corp-radius.supernews.com>...

> In article <Jt1ua.2858$Pc5.714@fed1read01>, "Mike" <mi...@nospam.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Mr Munyan wrote:
> > > Arthur Claude Munyan, Sr.
> >
> > You claim to be a school principal. What would your PTA think of your post?
>
> The PTA won't OK the way he does his thing

How he does his thing is nobody's business except for maybe Rick Santorum

Joseph Michael Bay

May 7, 2003, 9:34:29 PM5/7/03
Bob Ward <bob....@verizon.net> writes:

>On Thu, 08 May 2003 00:33:43 GMT, hu...@interaccess.com (Gary S.
>Callison) wrote:

>>groo (gr...@groo.org) wrote:

>>: unusual punishment). But why does anyone watch cars drive around in
>>: circles on TV?
>>
>>Same reason people watch people or horses run around in circles, or people
>>running back and forth trying to put an orange ball through a hoop ten
>>feet up in the air, or people running up and down a field generally
>>beating the snot out of each other over a weird-shaped brown ball,

>>russian skating around an ice rink and pretending very poorly to not be
>>whacking each other with sticks, or...

>Which is...?

It gets them out of having to talk to girls.
--
Joseph M. Bay Lamont Sanford Junior University
www.stanford.edu/~jmbay/

Joseph Michael Bay

May 7, 2003, 9:33:02 PM5/7/03
grap...@aol.comjunk (GrapeApe) writes:

><< this to me: What is the attraction of watching NASCAR on TV? >><BR><BR>

>These days, they keep drivers point of view cameras in the cars looking out on
>the track, so it feels like you the viewer, are the driver. Its like playing a
>video game almost.

A video game in demo mode, when you haven't put in any quarters.

>You could call the Blues a 12 bar form that is generally three chords, with the
>first lyric line repeated, then closed with a different line, and describe
>quite a bit of the Blues out there. But adherence to that form, like cars
>driving in a circle, is not what makes it interesting, it is the variations
>and surprises from the expected that draws the fans.

Oh that woman is the devil, she done stole my shoes
Oh that woman is the devil, she done stole my shoes
I gotta leave that woman, *SCREECH* *CRSHH* *FA-TOOOOOSH*

Oh no, ladies and gentlmen, Coughing Orange Jefferson has
gone off his chair and burst into flames! They're spraying
him with foam but I don't think this looks good! This is
terrible, what a loss for the Delta blues and blues in general!

GrapeApe

May 7, 2003, 9:45:05 PM5/7/03
<< I was looking at all the examples you gave, and with the exception of skiing
and ice skating all of them are games/sports that have a lot of money bet on
their outcome. I wonder if there is any significant amount of money bet on
NASCAR events. >><BR><BR>

Many spectator sports would not exist if there were not wagering. You figure it
out.

What is the sport least likely to be wagered upon?

D.F. Manno

May 7, 2003, 10:04:02 PM5/7/03
In article <fcd1f4e4.0305...@posting.google.com>,
art...@yahoo.com (artyw) wrote:

> "D.F. Manno" <domm...@netscape.net> wrote

> > > You claim to be a school principal. What would your PTA think of your
> > > post?
> >
> > The PTA won't OK the way he does his thing
>
> How he does his thing is nobody's business except for maybe Rick Santorum

Uh, it was a Sinatra allusion.

David Zeiger

May 8, 2003, 8:15:57 AM5/8/03
On 08 May 2003 01:45:05 GMT, GrapeApe <grap...@aol.comjunk> wrote:
>Many spectator sports would not exist if there were not wagering. You figure it
>out.
>
>What is the sport least likely to be wagered upon?

Well, my first thought was professional wrestling (if you
consider it a sport), but I've run across reports that
there are places where you can place low-money bets ($50
maximum, I believe) on wrestling, trying to guess who the
writers will give the victory to. Very strange.
--
David Zeiger dze...@the-institute.net
Whenever I find myself in a difficult situation, I ask myself "What

Kim

May 8, 2003, 8:25:56 AM5/8/03

Symchronized Swimming?

--
Kim ~ betchya $10 the one on the left drowns - oooohhh, so close.

*This is a test of the Emergency Sig System. It is only a test. Had
this been a real Sig, you would hopefully have been much more amused
at this point.*

Charles A Lieberman

May 8, 2003, 9:08:29 AM5/8/03
In article <3EB9A389...@groo.org>, groo <gr...@groo.org> wrote:

> What is the attraction of watching NASCAR on TV?

If you get drunk, when it's over, you're *already* home, or at least at
someone's home. A place you don't immediately have to get back from.

Charles A Lieberman

May 8, 2003, 9:08:35 AM5/8/03
In article <slrnbbki71....@vampire.the-institute.net>,
dze...@the-institute.net (David Zeiger) wrote:

> >What is the sport least likely to be wagered upon?
>
> Well, my first thought was professional wrestling (if you
> consider it a sport), but I've run across reports that
> there are places where you can place low-money bets ($50
> maximum, I believe) on wrestling, trying to guess who the
> writers will give the victory to. Very strange.

Might as well bet on _Law & Order_.

Margaret Kane

May 8, 2003, 1:32:05 PM5/8/03

"Gary S. Callison" <hu...@interaccess.com> wrote in message

In teh same vein, I have been wondering about peopel who watch marathons. My
town is on the path of the Boston Marathon, (which I now despise, because it
took me an hour-and-a-half to drive 10 freakin miles to get home, becuase
Patriot's Day is not a real holiday people and some of us have to work), I
was stunned at the number of people who had come out to watch. This is the
middle of the race. All you can see is a bunch of people running past you. I
could see if you were there to cheer for someone you knew, or if you wanted
to watch the finish line, but but it's not like you're going to see any
amazing athletic achievements. I just don't get it.

Margaret

Margaret Kane

May 8, 2003, 1:36:41 PM5/8/03

"Margaret Kane" <margar...@cnet.com> wrote in message

God, my typing sucks.

Margaret

Gary S. Callison

May 8, 2003, 2:49:27 PM5/8/03

: > groo (gr...@groo.org) wrote:
: >: But why does anyone watch cars drive around in circles on TV?
: > Same reason people watch people...
: > ...who are probably all either canadian or russian skating around an

: > ice rink and pretending very poorly to not be whacking each other
: > with sticks, or...
: Which is...?

Depends on how well they're pretending. If they really don't look like
they're actually hitting each other with sticks, it's 'curling'. If it's
pretty obvious that whenever you're not paying attention, somebody gets a
stick in the ribs, it's 'hockey'.

--
Huey

Richard R. Hershberger

May 8, 2003, 3:00:14 PM5/8/03
groo <gr...@groo.org> wrote in message news:<3EB9A389...@groo.org>...

I don't get NASCAR either, but I am willing to tentatively give it the
benefit of the doubt. How interesting one finds a sport tends to be
directly proportional to how much one understands this. Of course one
is more likely to take to effort to understand a sport one enjoys
watching, but it works the other direction as well.

A knowledgeable baseball fan sees a mental and physical competition
between the pitcher and the batter, with the pitcher trying to fool
the batter with a thought-out series of pitches and the batter
husbanding his resources and fighting off the pitcher until he gets
the pitch he can hit effectively. The non-fan sees the pitcher and
the catcher tossing the ball back and forth. The fan sees the
ten-pitch at bat as a mighty battle. The non-fan sees a bunch of foul
balls delaying the game. The fan sees a no-hitter as an epic feat.
The non-fan sees a boring game with little offense.

What does the NASCAR fan see? Heck if I know. I would rather watch
reruns of "Happy Days". But I don't reject the idea that there is
something there.

Richard R. Hershberger

Blinky the Shark

May 8, 2003, 3:28:30 PM5/8/03
Kim wrote:

> Symchronized Swimming?

What the Sym Family does for fun.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
New May 4 - Apple Innovation http://snurl.com/apple2003

Blinky the Shark

May 8, 2003, 4:02:21 PM5/8/03
Richard R. Hershberger wrote:

> A knowledgeable baseball fan sees a mental and physical competition
> between the pitcher and the batter, with the pitcher trying to fool
> the batter with a thought-out series of pitches and the batter
> husbanding his resources and fighting off the pitcher until he gets
> the pitch he can hit effectively. The non-fan sees the pitcher and
> the catcher tossing the ball back and forth. The fan sees the
> ten-pitch at bat as a mighty battle. The non-fan sees a bunch of foul
> balls delaying the game. The fan sees a no-hitter as an epic feat.
> The non-fan sees a boring game with little offense.

And there are even football fans who appreciate a strong defense in
*their* sport -- but that can't see that no-hitter *as* a strong defense.

A cult of no

May 8, 2003, 5:00:57 PM5/8/03
Blinky the Shark no....@box.invalid writes:

>And there are even football fans who appreciate a strong defense in
>*their* sport -- but that can't see that no-hitter *as* a strong defense.

Strong Defense, though, means something different in football than it does in
baseball, as football is a contact sport. So, if your idea of a strong defense
is physically dominating the other team, literally beating them up, using your
body to push them around, to drag them down to the ground, you might not see
throwing a lot of strikes and what hittable pitches you do throw are easily
fielded as nearly as interesting. You know, it just lacks that satisfying
crunch.

--
."Besides invading other people's countries, and forcing them to do whatever he
said, Alexander the Great was famous for something called the Gordian Knot."

A cult of no

May 8, 2003, 5:02:59 PM5/8/03
rrh...@acme.com (Richard R. Hershberger) writes:

>the pitcher trying to fool
>the batter with a thought-out series of pitches and the batter
>husbanding his resources and fighting off the pitcher until he gets
>the pitch he can hit effectively.

Or even just making him throw a few more pitches than he's comfortable with,
increasing the chances someone in the rotation will get a good one.

D.F. Manno

May 8, 2003, 5:38:32 PM5/8/03
In article <XExua.2503$mD5.8...@dca1-nnrp1.news.algx.net>,

Unless it's taking place on the streets of a college town on a
Saturday evening in the fall. Then it's the postgame celebration.

groo

May 8, 2003, 6:51:45 PM5/8/03
"D.F. Manno" wrote:

> In article <XExua.2503$mD5.8...@dca1-nnrp1.news.algx.net>,
> hu...@interaccess.com (Gary S. Callison) wrote:
>
> > Bob Ward (bob....@verizon.net) wrote:
> > : hu...@interaccess.com (Gary S. Callison) wrote:
> > : > groo (gr...@groo.org) wrote:
> > : >: But why does anyone watch cars drive around in circles on TV?
> > : > Same reason people watch people...
> > : > ...who are probably all either canadian or russian skating around an
> > : > ice rink and pretending very poorly to not be whacking each other
> > : > with sticks, or...
> > : Which is...?
> >
> > Depends on how well they're pretending. If they really don't look like
> > they're actually hitting each other with sticks, it's 'curling'. If it's
> > pretty obvious that whenever you're not paying attention, somebody gets a
> > stick in the ribs, it's 'hockey'.
>
> Unless it's taking place on the streets of a college town on a
> Saturday evening in the fall. Then it's the postgame celebration.

Or if they are wearing cleats and not trying to pretend that they aren't
hitting each other with sticks, it's lacrosse.

GrapeApe

May 8, 2003, 8:52:55 PM5/8/03
<< but it's not like you're going to see any
amazing athletic achievements. I just don't get it. >><BR><BR>

You try running 26 miles.

GrapeApe

May 8, 2003, 8:55:04 PM5/8/03
>The non-fan sees a boring game with little offense.

I don't know... watching some overweight guy scratch his ass for hours on a
pitchers mound might offend the occasional viewer.

Opus the Penguin

May 8, 2003, 9:15:02 PM5/8/03
"Margaret Kane" <margar...@cnet.com> wrote:

> God, my typing sucks.
>
> Margaret

In this unusual sequel to her bestselling novel for adolescents, Judy
Blume's pensive heroine, Margaret, reappears as a woman in her 30s with
more mundane concerns.

--
Opus the Penguin
"Besides, it just seems wrong to put myself in the bozo bin." - groo

Charles A Lieberman

May 9, 2003, 9:28:07 AM5/9/03
In article <20030508205255...@mb-m14.aol.com>,
grap...@aol.comjunk (GrapeApe) wrote:

But they don't run 26 miles back and forth on two blocks in Somerville.

Margaret Kane

May 9, 2003, 1:49:45 PM5/9/03

"GrapeApe" <grap...@aol.comjunk> wrote in message

> << but it's not like you're going to see any
> amazing athletic achievements. I just don't get it. >><BR><BR>
>

> You try running 26 miles.

No, I get that the *entire race* is an athletic achievement. The 20 seconds
of someone running past you on one block in Newton is not.

Margaret

Charles A Lieberman

May 9, 2003, 3:39:43 PM5/9/03
In article <b9gpnn$ipn6k$1...@ID-92687.news.dfncis.de>,
"Margaret Kane" <margar...@cnet.com> wrote:

> The 20 seconds
> of someone running past you on one block in Newton is not.

My guess at the suburb appears to be on the wrong side of Boston
entirely.

artyw

May 9, 2003, 6:30:52 PM5/9/03
"Margaret Kane" <margar...@cnet.com> wrote in message news:<b9e4an$incnn$1...@ID-92687.news.dfncis.de>...

> In teh same vein, I have been wondering about peopel who watch marathons. My
> town is on the path of the Boston Marathon, (which I now despise, because it
> took me an hour-and-a-half to drive 10 freakin miles to get home, becuase
> Patriot's Day is not a real holiday people and some of us have to work), I
> was stunned at the number of people who had come out to watch. This is the
> middle of the race. All you can see is a bunch of people running past you. I
> could see if you were there to cheer for someone you knew, or if you wanted
> to watch the finish line, but but it's not like you're going to see any
> amazing athletic achievements. I just don't get it.

The one time I watched a marathon, I thought "You see that guy there
who likes he is in absolute agony?" That's you, if you stupid enough
to try it. And there is still another 10 god-damn miles to go (or was
it 16?) But the runners do like your encouragement.

GrapeApe

May 9, 2003, 9:18:05 PM5/9/03
<< >
> You try running 26 miles.

No, I get that the *entire race* is an athletic achievement. The 20 seconds

of someone running past you on one block in Newton is not. >><BR><BR>

With the typical size of marathons, I would consider it an athletic performance
for the spectator, to pick their friend out of the hundreds involved. (I think
2000+ might be typical for any marathon event)

Sean Houtman

May 10, 2003, 7:59:00 PM5/10/03
From: jm...@Stanford.EDU (Joseph Michael Bay)

>Bob Ward <bob....@verizon.net> writes:
>
>>On Thu, 08 May 2003 00:33:43 GMT, hu...@interaccess.com (Gary S.

>>Callison) wrote:
>
>>>groo (gr...@groo.org) wrote:
>

>>>: unusual punishment). But why does anyone watch cars drive around in
>>>: circles on TV?
>>>

>>>Same reason people watch people or horses run around in circles, or people
>>>running back and forth trying to put an orange ball through a hoop ten
>>>feet up in the air, or people running up and down a field generally
>>>beating the snot out of each other over a weird-shaped brown ball,

>>>russian skating around an ice rink and pretending very poorly to not be
>>>whacking each other with sticks, or...
>

>>Which is...?
>

>It gets them out of having to talk to girls.

Why watch all that when we have the internet to keep us from having to talk to
girls?

Sean

--
Visit my photolog page; http://members.aol.com/grommit383/myhomepage
Last updated 08-04-02 with 15 pictures of the Aztec Ruins.
Address mungled. To email, please spite my face.

Lesmond

May 11, 2003, 3:34:07 PM5/11/03
On Thu, 08 May 2003 01:18:48 GMT, groo wrote:

>Sean Houtman wrote:
>

>> You don't understand! This is Football! The most manly thing next to NASCAR!
>
>I think there are some NASCAR fans here, so maybe someone can explain
>this to me: What is the attraction of watching NASCAR on TV? I can
>maybe, if I stretch my imagination, understand why someone would go to
>see this in person (although I would personally consider it cruel and

>unusual punishment). But why does anyone watch cars drive around in
>circles on TV?

But you're not just watching cars drive around in circles. You're watching
cars driving around in circles at 200 miles an hour an inch off the bumper of
another car. You're watching cars pass each other, sometimes in very
aggressive ways. You are watching the same 40 or so drivers in every race,
you get to know their personalities, you know who is feuding with whom and
who is scared to get next to someone else.

There are many variables...cars can crash, cut a tire, blow an engine, miss
their pits, pit right before a caution and lose laps, run out of gas, run
into a seagull or any number of other things.

Watching it on TV, you can see all these things in detail. Especially at the
big tracks, you can miss an awful lot. With the dozens of cameras, though,
you can see every move from several different angles. You get constant
updates from a variety of sources. I mean, here we even switch over to the
radio broadcast when the TV braodcast goes to commercials.

--
If there's a nuclear winter, at least it'll snow.