Panclastite

Fritz Zimmerer

Jun 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/30/98

Anonymous wrote:

> Anyone knowing about explosive properties of panclastite, please?
> I mean the kind made of equal volumes of liquid nitrogen dioxide
> and petroleum, not the even more dangerous CS2 type. I would like
> to know its detonation velocity, Trauzl block test and impact
> sensitivity values compared to, say, NG.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Hallo,

I don´t know the mixtures with petroleum, but the most used mixture,
especially during WW I is 70 % liquid nitrogen dioxide and 30 %
"Nitrobenzol".

For this is trauzl block 505 ccm, velocity about 8500 m/s, maximal dense
only 1.38.

(Trauzl tested with 10 g in a Block of 200 mm diameter and 200 mm high.
Diameter of the hole 25 mm.)

As different trials at Trauzl block test might give different results,
the trial was made from Kast and Guenther together with nitroglycerine.
This gave only about 490 ccm.
With not exact mixture these goodies fall down very quickly, f.e.
mixture with 60 % dioxide only 450 ccm.

Impact sensitivity is not known, but it is told to be very sensitive. So
the two liquids had to be mixed dury falling of the bomb. This made
problems sometimes because of the low temperatures in big highes.

Greetings

FZ.