Re: PCB Design/Layout Software

1 view

Leon Heller

Dec 27, 2004, 10:58:17 AM12/27/04
Jim Douglas wrote:
> I am looking for something basic to use at home for small projects. I have
> downloaded a few examples, PCB Wizard I like, Eagle Layout Editor seems too
> much. Has anyone used the PCB Wizard product? Any other recommendations?
>
> I am also using the student version of CircuitMaker, which is GREAT! I
> understand at one time it had with it a product "TraxMaker"? but sure can't
> find it in the version I have?

Have a look at Easy-PC: http://www.numberone.com

Leon

ssparling

Dec 27, 2004, 10:50:18 PM12/27/04
Try using Electronics Workbench, Iuse it to test all my projects.
L8TR,
Mod

Bob Eldred

Dec 27, 2004, 9:01:19 PM12/27/04

"Leon Heller" <leon....@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message

Have a look at ExpressPCB. They have a free schematic cad program and a free
board layout program. You order boards directy from them, on line, and their
prices are not bad. It's great for small boards and small runs.
Bob

Wayne

Dec 28, 2004, 3:25:08 PM12/28/04
A very good freeware package that I have used for several years is Eagle
http://www.cadsoftusa.com/
You can either get support from Eagles good news group or the Yahoo group I
setup located at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eaglecad/

Cheers

Wayne

"Jim Douglas" <james....@genesis-software.com> wrote in message

>I am looking for something basic to use at home for small projects. I have
> downloaded a few examples, PCB Wizard I like, Eagle Layout Editor seems
> too
> much. Has anyone used the PCB Wizard product? Any other recommendations?
>
> I am also using the student version of CircuitMaker, which is GREAT! I
> understand at one time it had with it a product "TraxMaker"? but sure
> can't
> find it in the version I have?
>

> Thanks!
> Jim Douglas

JeffM

Dec 28, 2004, 5:52:43 PM12/28/04
>A very good freeware package...is EAGLE
> Wayne

Folks sure do throw arond that word *free* a lot.
This is properly called Hobbyist Demoware. (I almost said hobbiest.)
No *functions* have been crippled,
but the free version does 80mm x 100mm 2-layer boards maximum.
For many folks that is enough.
A biz (legally) needs to plunk down $50 to use it to make products.

To get 160mm x 100mm & 4 layers is $200 (layout module);
the demo Schematic Editor will still work (sorta
--batch files to swap registered/demoware password).

Full usability is $400 per module;
licence only what you need or go hog-wild.
http://www.cadsoftusa.com/prices.htm

...but yeah. It's good stuff.
At this point someone usually mentions
the not-like-usual-Windoze-apps interface
(which takes some getting used to).

OTOH, gEDA/PCB is/are gratis (and libre) and will run under CYGWIN
(or natively under Linux--again, free):
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/sci.electronics.design/search?group=sci.electronics.design&q=gEDA+PCB+free
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/sci.electronics.design/search?q=gEDA+PCB+cygwin&start=0&filter=0
http://www.google.com/search?&q=Linux-like-environment-for-Windows

http://www.google.com/search?&q=open-source+gratis-*-libre+Eric+Raymond

Henk Boonsma

Dec 31, 2004, 6:37:39 AM12/31/04

"Jim Douglas" <james....@genesis-software.com> wrote in message
> I am looking for something basic to use at home for small projects. I have
> downloaded a few examples, PCB Wizard I like, Eagle Layout Editor seems
too
> much. Has anyone used the PCB Wizard product? Any other recommendations?
>
> I am also using the student version of CircuitMaker, which is GREAT! I
> understand at one time it had with it a product "TraxMaker"? but sure
can't
> find it in the version I have?

Eagle is by far the best package out there. The rest is mostly junk which
fools people into thinking it's easy to use just because it has a
Windows-like interface. Eagle does require some learning but if you read the
tutorial manual you will be fine and in the end you will be much more
productive with the Eagle interface.

WayneL

Jan 27, 2005, 2:06:06 PM1/27/05

Mark

Jan 28, 2005, 8:24:40 AM1/28/05
I took a look at WinQcad recently and thought it had some
possibilities. However, no matter how good it is, I've ruled it out due
to my recent experience with asking a question on their bulletin board.
My post to their board was removed by the program author because he
didn't understand the question, there were errors with the grammar, and
the message was posted to the wrong category. No attempt was made to
ask for clarification, and no users could have possibly responded since
none where allowed to see the message. The author mentioned through
email that if he doesn't understand what a message is asking that none
of the users would either. I don't mean to flame WinQcad...I just
wanted to mention my one and only experience when asking for input.
Your mileage may vary.

Jim Douglas

Jan 28, 2005, 5:32:27 PM1/28/05
I hate that stuff, I have sent messages to some things like that and they
never show up. I asked and they said "Most users would not be interested in
that!", I said bullshi%%!!

"Mark" <mjoh...@stny.rr.com> wrote in message

Mark

Feb 1, 2005, 9:37:07 AM2/1/05
Yeah, the experience is still bugging me. Granted, the bulletin borad
does belong to the author, but the bulletin board link does say
"discuss the PCB software with other WinQcad users". That's kinda hard
to do when the arrogant SOB author removes posts.

Mark

JeffM

Feb 1, 2005, 5:24:28 PM2/1/05

>Granted, the bulletin [board] does belong to the author,

>but the bulletin board link does say
>"discuss the PCB software with other WinQcad users".
> Mark

The Cadsoft guys handle this by having 2 newsgroups:
1 ostensibly for user-to-user
and 1 ostensibly for asking the company guys.