[Slightly OT?] Relay Pin Outs (Wiring Diagram) - Interpretation Help

1 view

News Reader

Dec 9, 2009, 5:02:10 AM12/9/09

Sorry for a slightly OT post.

These groups tend or seem to be fairly well frequented and at least slightly
relevant and equally likely to be able to fairly quickly yield a helpful and
useful answer.

In short:

Please advise on below relay pin diagram (for a STSP - Single Throw Single
Pole) relay (DIN style - i.e. pins in a row):

Pin 1 Pin 2 Pin 3 Pin 4

@ /|\ /|\ /|\
@ | | |
--------- |

/|\ |
| |
-----------

Note: " @@ " is a wiggle symbol which must be for the coil (?).

Your assistance, input and / or guidance, thoughts, etc. are much
appreciated and welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Best wishes,

News Reader

Dave Plowman (News)

Dec 9, 2009, 5:39:31 AM12/9/09
In article <hfnsjb$oh7$1...@adenine.netfront.net>,
News Reader <n...@email.invalid> wrote:

> Hi,

> In short:

First you need to use a fixed font for ASCII art to work on other's
newsreaders.

There are millions of relays - all with different pin numbers.

Use a DVM set to resistance to find out which two are the coil - it will
have a resistance likely in the 100s of ohms. The other two are the switch
contacts. If you don't have a DVM Xmas approaches. ;-) If a low volt coil
you could use a suitable battery. Note some relays have an internal diode
across the coil so will be polarity sensitive.

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Russell Hafter News

Dec 9, 2009, 6:52:55 AM12/9/09
In article <50c6e6c...@davenoise.co.uk>, Dave Plowman
(News) <da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> First you need to use a fixed font for ASCII art to work
> on other's newsreaders.

I assumed that all newsreaders offered a choice of font - or
is that just Pluto?

--
Russell
http://www.russell-hafter-holidays.co.uk

News Reader

Dec 9, 2009, 7:16:25 AM12/9/09

"Russell Hafter News" <see...@walkingingermany.invalid> wrote in message

Hi,

Many thanks all.

Will try following the advice given.

Any further / additional, etc. welcomed.

Rendering in a text only (non-html or "Font" rendering) mode should ensure
the ASCII art renders correctly ( ? - lol... or close enough?)...

Thanks again.

Bye for now.

Best wishes,

News Reader

nut

Dec 9, 2009, 7:56:30 AM12/9/09
News Reader wrote:
> Rendering in a text only (non-html or "Font" rendering) mode should
> ensure the ASCII art renders correctly ( ? - lol... or close
> enough?)...

Only fixed width fonts will display correctly... Outlook Express by default
uses a proportional font.

Dave Plowman (News)

Dec 9, 2009, 8:11:23 AM12/9/09
In article <hfo4et$14ga$1...@adenine.netfront.net>,

News Reader <n...@email.invalid> wrote:
> Will try following the advice given.

> Any further / additional, etc. welcomed.

If you know the make and part number you could try the maker's website for
a spec sheet. Although I've a feeling this might just confuse you more...

> Rendering in a text only (non-html or "Font" rendering) mode should
> ensure the ASCII art renders correctly ( ? - lol... or close enough?)...

Newsgroups are basic text only. What font you use to type the message
doesn't come through them. Only the spacing. So you need to use a fixed
space font, and others must use a fixed space font to view that diagram as
you see it.

--
*Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco *

Dave Liquorice

Dec 9, 2009, 8:05:10 AM12/9/09
On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 11:52:55 +0000 (GMT), Russell Hafter News wrote:

>> First you need to use a fixed font for ASCII art to work
>> on other's newsreaders.
>
> I assumed that all newsreaders offered a choice of font - or
> is that just Pluto?

Most GUI readers do, but even then there is no gurantee that the
vertical alignment will be corect.

Mr Plowman ommitted the word "pitch" between fixed and font. It is
the width of each character that needs to be the same for the entire
font, so a W is just as wide as an i. It doesn't matter what it looks
like, only that the charcters are all the same width.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Brian Gaff

Dec 9, 2009, 11:15:30 AM12/9/09
What picture?
Brian

Email: bri...@blueyonder.co.uk

"News Reader" <n...@email.invalid> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Dec 9, 2009, 11:18:27 AM12/9/09
That is the point, a choice of font. Who is going to alter what they use,
and most default to truetype normal stuff.

Not a lot of good to me in any case but used to have fun with ascii art in
them old days.

Who remembers the sheep?
Brian

Email: bri...@blueyonder.co.uk

Dave Plowman (News)

Dec 9, 2009, 8:31:36 AM12/9/09
In article <hfo6pt$s54$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,

nut <n...@noreply.invalid> wrote:
> Only fixed width fonts will display correctly... Outlook Express by
> default uses a proportional font.

Since I don't use Windows, what is the name of the non proportional font
OE can access?

--
*Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them *

Peter Duncanson

Dec 9, 2009, 1:50:11 PM12/9/09
On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 13:31:36 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
<da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <hfo6pt$s54$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> nut <n...@noreply.invalid> wrote:
>> Only fixed width fonts will display correctly... Outlook Express by
>> default uses a proportional font.
>
>Since I don't use Windows, what is the name of the non proportional font
>OE can access?

There is more than one. Possibly the most common one is "Courier New".

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)

Dave Plowman (News)

Dec 9, 2009, 1:55:24 PM12/9/09
In article <k9svh5pa54phsc1co...@4ax.com>,

Peter Duncanson <ma...@peterduncanson.net> wrote:
> >Since I don't use Windows, what is the name of the non proportional font
> >OE can access?

> There is more than one. Possibly the most common one is "Courier New".

Thanks for that.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, try management *

Yeti

Dec 9, 2009, 1:59:06 PM12/9/09

Why not just take a picture (or draw one in Paint or something),
upload it to photobucket and post the link? much easier - and everyone
will see it correctly.

Robin

Dec 9, 2009, 2:06:40 PM12/9/09

"News Reader" <n...@email.invalid> wrote in message

> Hi,
>

> Sorry for a slightly OT post.
>
> These groups tend or seem to be fairly well frequented and at least
> slightly relevant and equally likely to be able to fairly quickly yield a
> helpful and useful answer.
>
> In short:
>
> Please advise on below relay pin diagram (for a STSP - Single Throw Single
> Pole) relay (DIN style - i.e. pins in a row):
>

> Pin 1 Pin 2 Pin 3 Pin 4
>
> @ /|\ /|\ /|\
> @ | | |
> --------- |
> |
> /|\ |
> | |
> -----------
>

> Note: " @@ " is a wiggle symbol which must be for the coil (?).

SPST will be pin 1 to pin 2 will be the coil.
Pin 3 to pin 4 will be a normally open contact

Paul Starship

Dec 9, 2009, 3:03:48 PM12/9/09
On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 10:02:10 -0000, "News Reader" <n...@email.invalid>
wrote:

>Please advise on below relay pin diagram (for a STSP - Single Throw Single
>Pole) relay (DIN style - i.e. pins in a row):

whats the part number of the relay ?

Paul

Dec 9, 2009, 5:05:38 PM12/9/09

> Hi,
>

> Sorry for a slightly OT post.
>
> These groups tend or seem to be fairly well frequented and at least
> slightly relevant and equally likely to be able to fairly quickly yield a
> helpful and useful answer.
>
> In short:
>
> Please advise on below relay pin diagram (for a STSP - Single Throw Single
> Pole) relay (DIN style - i.e. pins in a row):
>

> Pin 1 Pin 2 Pin 3 Pin 4
>
> @ /|\ /|\ /|\
> @ | | |
> --------- |
> |
> /|\ |
> | |
> -----------
>

> Note: " @@ " is a wiggle symbol which must be for the coil (?).

Lots of tech information here, should help.. http://uk.farnell.com/relays

Cheers,

Paul

JeffM

Dec 9, 2009, 6:24:43 PM12/9/09

News Reader wrote:
>Rendering in a text only (non-html or "Font" rendering) mode
>should ensure the ASCII art renders correctly

Wanna bet?
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.electronics/msg/d0c7f851a409cfe8?dmode=source
Just do ASCII art in Notepad and paste *that* into your post.

...and as has been alluded to,
Outbreaks In Excess is the WORST choice for posting to Usenet
--for this and other reasons.
(Apparently you either format blockquoting by hand or
have done the 3rd-party update to make M$'s junk suck a bit less.)

nut

Dec 9, 2009, 6:43:10 PM12/9/09
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> In article <hfo6pt$s54$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> nut <n...@noreply.invalid> wrote:
>> Only fixed width fonts will display correctly... Outlook Express by
>> default uses a proportional font.
>
> Since I don't use Windows, what is the name of the non proportional
> font OE can access?

All of them, of course!

Andrew

Dec 10, 2009, 1:07:04 AM12/10/09
On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 15:24:43 -0800 (PST), JeffM <jef...@email.com>
wrote:

>...and as has been alluded to,
>Outbreaks In Excess is the WORST choice for posting to Usenet
>--for this and other reasons.

I changed my opinion of this after seeing Bills contributions using
News Rover and trying it for myself. OE looks positively useful in
comparison.
--
Andrew, contact via http://interpleb.googlepages.com

JeffM

Dec 10, 2009, 1:17:21 PM12/10/09

Andrew wrote:
>I changed my opinion of this after seeing Bills contributions
>using News Rover and trying it for myself.
>OE looks positively useful in comparison.

The OP is an exception to the rule, but most OE users
are quite clueless about how proper posting should look
(and/or never look at their own posts).
Most OE users are also unaware that there is a 3rd-party update
which makes bad formatting / hand-formatting unnecessary:
http://google.com/search?q=inurl:jain+%22+OE.doesn't.exactly.feature.the.most.intelligent.quoting.algorithm

Jasen Betts

Dec 10, 2009, 4:37:38 AM12/10/09
On 2009-12-09, Dave Plowman (News) <da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <hfo6pt$s54$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> nut <n...@noreply.invalid> wrote:
>> Only fixed width fonts will display correctly... Outlook Express by
>> default uses a proportional font.
>
> Since I don't use Windows, what is the name of the non proportional font
> OE can access?

courier
terminal
fixedsys

(courier's probably best - looks like oldschool typewriter)

jasee

Dec 10, 2009, 2:19:03 PM12/10/09

Why didn't you just say Quotefix?

Andrew

Dec 10, 2009, 2:31:27 PM12/10/09
On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 19:19:03 -0000, "jasee" <ja...@btinternet.com>
wrote:

>Why didn't you just say Quotefix?

Or Thunderbird.

jasee

Dec 10, 2009, 4:01:37 PM12/10/09

"Andrew" <spam...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

jasee

Dec 10, 2009, 4:03:57 PM12/10/09
> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 19:19:03 -0000, "jasee" <ja...@btinternet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Why didn't you just say Quotefix?

Didn't realise there was a Quotefix for Outlook as well as Outlook Express

News Reader

Dec 12, 2009, 7:31:00 AM12/12/09

"News Reader" <n...@email.invalid> wrote in message

Hi,

Thanks all for your input. As always, (any) more (or other) welcomed and
appreciated.

Picture (of pin outs / as symbol on bottom):

http (could not find a no registration required free picture hosting service
so see below... : - P .... [bino attach for {y'all}] - [yay ! ... -
woohhh!!] )

Should be one of these (note: yes.. this is a DPDT... but for simplicities
sake.. I simplified the scenario to of "one side" ... a SPST):

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=37494

(They used to have the wiring diagram on the site... picture gone... nice! -
they don't seem to know themselves!). NOTE NOTE NOTE: The marking on the one
actually received differs from that pictured and reads (approximately?) as:

Manufacturer Symbol(?): RJ (looks like? - J is at bottom of last bottom
right stick of the R)
Part Code(?): RS-5 (1A 125VAC / 2A 24VDC)
Other (compliance?) symbol(?): RU (R backwards merged to the left stick of
the U?!)?!?

(BTW / Aside: Am perfectly happy with a data sheet if actually shows the pin
wiring and not just [performance, etc.] statistics?!)

Thanks again and in advance.

Best wishes,

News Reader

SPST - Relay Picture Temp.GIF
SPST - Relay Picture Temp.PNG
SPST - Relay Picture Temp.TIF

JeffM

Dec 16, 2009, 4:55:36 PM12/16/09
News Reader wrote:
>begin 666 SPST - Relay Picture Temp.GIF

NOT ONE of the groups to which you posted this
has "binary" or "binaries" in its name.
That means those are **text-only** groups.

...and the majority of news servers strip off attachment junk.

Outlook Express users really stand out--due to their ignorance.