Re: Circuit explanation needed

Daniel

Mar 16, 2006, 4:26:43 AM3/16/06
Gareth Edwards wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can anybody explain to me exactly how this circuit functions, what it does,
> and why were the components chosen i.e. how were the resistor values
> calculated etc.
> Where it says "solar +ve", this is the positive pole of a small solar panel.
> The circuit works on 2 AA batteries in series.
> L1, L2, R1, R2, and R3 are all resistors.
> The capacitor is a 101. 100pF ceramic disc type.
> Two transistors are S8050 type.
> Diode is a 1N5819.
>
> Thanks for any help.

Gareth, any chance you can reduce the size of the circuit Diagram?
Trying to work out what's going on, when you can only see about one
sixth of the circuit at a time, is pretty difficult. Printing it out is
worse yet.

Daniel

JeffM

Mar 16, 2006, 7:01:09 AM3/16/06
>>Can anybody explain to me exactly how this circuit functions,
>>Gareth Edwards

>Gareth, any chance you can reduce the size of the circuit Diagram?
> Daniel

http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=a-newsgroup-that-does-not-have-binaries-in-its+-Muskie

Daniel

Mar 16, 2006, 5:35:32 PM3/16/06

No, Jeff, I didn't ask to be sent to a NG that doesn't support binaries,
did I?

JeffM

Mar 16, 2006, 7:27:49 PM3/16/06
>>http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=a-newsgroup-that-does-not-have-binaries-in-its+-Muskie
>> JeffM

>No, Jeff, I didn't ask to be sent to a NG that doesn't support binaries,
>did I?
> Daniel

You are at one NOW.

You appear to have a tenuous grasp of how Usenet works.
Most groups are text-only.
The majority of servers Usenet strip off attachments.

It is an aberration that apparantly yours and Gareth's don't.
Posting attachments is discouraged
in any group whose name does not include *binary* or *binaries*
because the majority of folks will not see them.

Folks who want to post schematic graphics
should go to a group like alt.binaries.schematics.electronic.

Daniel

Mar 17, 2006, 12:06:01 AM3/17/06

If that's what you meant, why didn't you say so the first time? No Worries!

It must be, as you say, that both my and Gareth's servers do support
posting of binaries. Rather that Gareth going to another NG, which I may
or may not subscribe to, and starting another thread there, my
suggestion would be to go to somewhere like:-

http://imageshack.us/

and post his circuit there, after, as I typed a while back, reducing its
size, so that I don't have to scroll around to see what's where.

Jasen Betts

Mar 17, 2006, 2:30:31 AM3/17/06
On 2006-03-16, Daniel <dx...@nospam.albury.net.au> wrote:

> Gareth, any chance you can reduce the size of the circuit Diagram?
> Trying to work out what's going on, when you can only see about one
> sixth of the circuit at a time, is pretty difficult. Printing it out is
> worse yet.

I see you're using linux, install xzgv and use that to view the pic, press z
to zoom out.

Bye.
Jasen

Daniel

Mar 17, 2006, 5:17:31 PM3/17/06

Thank you, Jasen, I'll give it a go, but am a newbie to Linux so still
learning.

Tater Schuld

Mar 18, 2006, 3:28:43 PM3/18/06

"Gareth Edwards" <gareth.e...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> Hi
>
> Can anybody explain to me exactly how this circuit functions, what it
> does,
> and why were the components chosen i.e. how were the resistor values
> calculated etc.
> Where it says "solar +ve", this is the positive pole of a small solar
> panel.
> The circuit works on 2 AA batteries in series.
> L1, L2, R1, R2, and R3 are all resistors.
> The capacitor is a 101. 100pF ceramic disc type.
> Two transistors are S8050 type.
> Diode is a 1N5819.

boy at first glance this circuit doesn't look like it does anything!

you got a power on led branch, that makes sense
you got an amplifier (maybe set up as an op amp?) to kick on a second
transistor that doesn't have an output.

since it is solar (i.e. solar +ve) I am assuming it is a light actuated
controller, but I don't see what it controls.

Gareth Edwards

Mar 19, 2006, 6:41:07 AM3/19/06

"Tater Schuld" <Tate...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Apologies for posting the diagram first of all.
The circuit is out of a solar powered lantern for the garden. It is
*supposed* to charge the battery during daylight hours, and then the light
(l.e.d.) comes on in the night.
I am not 100% sure that L1 and L2 are resistors, maybe they are inductors?
that would explain why they are labelled as they are. I am no electronics
genius but they look exactly like the other resistors in the circuit except
that they are slightly larger and they are green.
I would like to know how the circuit works and why each component was
chosen, because I want to use the circuit for something else.

Cheers