LOUISIANA BAPTIST UNIVERSITY and TRACS

1 view

jonath...@my-dejanews.com

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98
Here is the part about LBU in Steve Levicoff's Name It and Frame It.

LOUISIANA BAPTIST UNIVERSITY
2835 Hollywood, Suite 310
Shreveport, Louisiana 71108
(318) 635-5110

Under the umbrella name of Baptist Christian Schools, the university grants
degrees through the doctorate level, as well as a phony certification in
marriage and family counseling (see Chapter 11 under "National Association of
Marriage and Family Counselors"). Claiming accreditation by the unrecognized
Accrediting Commission International, the university is affiliated with the
Louisiana Baptist Theological Seminary (also listed in this chapter). They
have also been granted candidacy status by the Transnational Association of
Christian Schools (TRACS; see discussion at the beginning of this chapter and
in Chapter 3), which lists them as "Baptist Christian College." Formerly
known as Baptist Christian University, the school is wholly owned by the
Baptist Tabernacle of Shreveport. Advertises or has advertised in Pulpit
Helps.

Above Steve memtioned that LBU was a candidate for TRACS' accreditation.
But in LBU's site, it is said that
"As a primarily religious institution, LBU has not sought either regional
or national accreditation by a secular accrediting agency."

Does this mean that LBU is not a candidate for TRACS' accreditation now?

Thanks.

--
Jonnie's Distance Learning Page
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Haven/2386/distance.html

John Bear

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98
to jonath...@my-dejanews.com
Jonathan writes

"Above Steve memtioned that LBU was a candidate for TRACS'
accreditation. But in LBU's site, it is said that
"As a primarily religious institution, LBU has not sought either
regional or national accreditation by a secular accrediting agency."

But TRACS (the Transnational Association of Christian Schools) is by no
means secular. They are about as Christian as one can get without being
nailed to a cross. They are certainly more Christian than ACI, since
they, unlike ACI, would never deal with secular institutions like
Century and Columbia Southern, which are in ACI's pantheon.

John Bear
http://www.degree.net

jonath...@my-dejanews.com

Don

Nov 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/24/98
John Bear <john...@degree.net> wrote:

>Jonathan writes

>"Above Steve memtioned that LBU was a candidate for TRACS'
>accreditation. But in LBU's site, it is said that
>"As a primarily religious institution, LBU has not sought either
>regional or national accreditation by a secular accrediting agency."
>

>But TRACS (the Transnational Association of Christian Schools) is by no
>means secular. They are about as Christian as one can get without being
>nailed to a cross. They are certainly more Christian than ACI, since
>they, unlike ACI, would never deal with secular institutions like
>Century and Columbia Southern, which are in ACI's pantheon.
>
>John Bear
>http://www.degree.net

I believe the sponsoring church is an independant Baptist church, not
affilliated with a denomination such as the Southern Baptist
Convention which has many afilliated and acredited schools.

D*

Recently described as:

"piano-bar-church music director-conductor-funeral pianist."
www.calldon.com/shadow.htm

Remembering Shadow
July 1984 - November 13, 1997

A Tribute To The Sweetest, Most Perfect Dog In Heaven

Steve Levicoff

Nov 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/27/98
jonath...@my-dejanews.com writes:

>Here is the part about LBU in Steve Levicoff's Name It and Frame It.
>

>[I snippeth myself . . . which is no mean feat.]

>Above Steve memtioned that LBU was a candidate for TRACS'
>accreditation. But in LBU's site, it is said that "As a primarily
>religious institution, LBU has not sought either regional
>or national accreditation by a secular accrediting agency."
>

>Does this mean that LBU is not a candidate for TRACS' accreditation
>now?
>
>Thanks.

I haven't looked at LBU for a while, but judging by their accreditation
statement, onc can only assume that they withdrew, or were granted the
left foot of fellowship, from consideration by TRACS.

At the time LBU was under consideration, TRACS was going through some
hairy moments of its own (to the extent that the U.S. DoEd hung up
their reapproval for almost two years). One of the main reasons, I'm
afraid, was my book "When the TRACS Stop Short: An Analysis and
Critique of the Transnational Assn. of Christian Colleges & Schools"
(full text available through my home page, below - a synoptic version
is also in Chapter 3 of "Name It & Frame It"), a copy of which was
submitted to the DoEd as testimony regarding TRACS' reapproval.

Needless to say, while TRACS was trying to clean its act up, they were
being quite careful about the schools they were approving and, if the
LBU statement is any indication, LBU was not one of them.

,-~~-.___.
/ | ' \
( ) 0
==== //