Louisiana Baptist University

IL DAN 2

Oct 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/16/00
Does anyone knoe is this is a legitimate institution?>>

Steve Levicoff

Oct 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/16/00
IL DAN 2 wrote:

> Does anyone knoe is this is a legitimate institution?>>

If you are referring to the one in Shreveport, it's a degree mill run
out of a Baptist church and formerly called Baptist Christian
University. LBU claims accreditation by ACI (everyone's accreditation
mill), although they managed to attain candidacy status with TRACS a few
years back (and, when TRACS began to clean up its own act, LBU was
dumped). They have operated under the umbrella name of Baptist
Christian Schools for many years. They also run a counseling credential
mill (the National Association of Marriage & Family Counselors) and have
an affiliation with the Louisiana Baptist Theological Seminary (which,
of course, is located at a P.O. box in . . . Missouri).

Therefore, is it a legitimate institution? Hardly.

--
,-~~-.___.
/ | ' \

nort...@my-deja.com

Oct 16, 2000, 11:30:47 PM10/16/00
You will be happy to know Steve that they have moved into a nice office
building now and occupy at least one suite. The rather large structure
graces their web suite. Somewhat reminds me of the picture of the
Mercian Rite University in Colorado that has been mentioned again
recently. Lafayette University (later the University De Notre Dame De
Lafayette ?) had rented office space in what appeared to be a nice
building.

This fact alone of course means less and less as schools such as the
University of Phoenix, Walden University, and Capella set themselves up
in office buildings and other business complexes.

North

In article <39EB6EAD...@ix.netcom.com>,

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Steve Levicoff

Oct 17, 2000, 12:10:35 AM10/17/00
nort...@my-deja.com wrote:

> You will be happy to know Steve that they have moved into a nice office
> building now and occupy at least one suite. The rather large structure
> graces their web suite. Somewhat reminds me of the picture of the
> Mercian Rite University in Colorado that has been mentioned again
> recently. Lafayette University (later the University De Notre Dame De
> Lafayette ?) had rented office space in what appeared to be a nice
> building.

Interesting. Of course, the building photo means nothing, as it does
not signify whether they are in a one-room suite, two-room suite, or a
secretarial service. LBU is still claiming a mickey-mouse accreditation
(not ACI, but a newer one shared, according to a Yahoo search, by
Tyndale Seminary in texas, another degree mill). Needless to say, LBU
is not the first degree mill to use a picture of the office building in
which they are allegedly located.

I seem to recall a move in Louisiana a few years back to restrict
distance programs to those that maintain a physical presence in the
state. While this would not explain why they moved from the Baptist
church in Shreveport (an origin they acknowledge), it could contribute
to their physical location.

> This fact alone of course means less and less as schools such as the
> University of Phoenix, Walden University, and Capella set themselves up
> in office buildings and other business complexes.

True, although the particular schools you mentioned are all proprietary
(profit-making) institutions. Even then, there are many nonprofit
schools that have *satelite* centers located in office buildings located
in corporate parks; two traditional schools in my area come to mind off
the top of my head - Temple University and West Chester University.

Also, while a suite number should raise a red flag that demands further
research, it is not always proof that a school is a degree mill. Prior
to moving into its own buildings a few years ago, The Union Institute
used a suite address in downtown Cincinnati. Unlike degree mills, which
tend to be located in one or two-room suites, however, Union had two
entire (and rather large) floors of a major bank building.

My guess, however, is that LBU is not such a school.