Parallels

Daibhid Ceanaideach

Jul 3, 2012, 7:41:32 AM7/3/12
Parallels
Set shortly after "The Stolen Earth"

"Something I've been wondering about," said Rose, "In our universe,
there's Torchwood, just like here, yeah?"

"Well, they seem to be a bit less secretive here, but pretty much," said
the man she'd learnt to think of as the Doctor."

"Right. But in our universe, there isn't *just* Torchwood. There's also
that army group you mentioned when we were in Downing Street. UNIT?"

The Doctor frowned, "Yeah. They don't seem to have them here. I must ask
about it."

*

"We certainly *used* to have a military organisation that more or less
fits your description," said Lisa Hallett. "It even had some of the same
people working for it. But it was shut down years ago."

"Interesting." said the Doctor, "Any idea why?"

Lisa looked embarassed, which was unusual. The Doctor had learnt that her
fiance had been taken to Battersea Power Station for "upgrading" before
Lumic was defeated, and ever since she'd shielded herself by showing as
little emotion as possible. Which to him seemed to be exactly the wrong
take-home lesson.

"You have to understand, things were different in the 1970s: we had the
Cold War with the South American State, IWA terrorists planting bombs; it
was a pretty horrible time for the Republic, and we reacted by, well,
becoming horrible ourselves. More totalitarian."

The Doctor nodded. "Go on."

"We never had a world power that could create an international army like
you describe; our Society of Nations was just a talking shop. And so the
government created a highly nationalistic group of 'elite' soldiers
that..." She broke off. "Let's just say that, once more moderate
politicians got into power, there were very good reasons to get rid of
the Republican Security Force."

--
Dave
The problems in this world are not caused by those who love.