New, automated Doctor Who fanfiction archive

Samantha Wilkinson

Aug 15, 2003, 4:42:33 PM8/15/03
I'm pleased to announce that A Teaspoon and an Open Mind: A Doctor Who
Fan Fiction Archive (http://www.whofic.com/) has just opened for
business. This is not my archive, by the way; I'm just pimping it.

To quote the help page (http://www.whofic.com/help.php):

"What kind of stories can I find here? Do you accept slash? How about my
Tegan/Turlough series? Can I submit my 800-page novel about how the
Daleks conquered space/time and their relationship to the origins of
Gallifrey? My UNIT stories based on the BBV spinoffs? What if I made up
my own version of The Doctor?"

"Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. We accept all kinds of Doctor Who-based fan
fiction, whatever the subject matter, as long as it is indeed related in
some way to Doctor Who. Your giant, somber, fanwank-laden fixit is just
as welcome as your comedy about Romana and Four bickering as your
Bernice Summerfield adventure as is your series about how Eight has sex
with every one of his companions. We take it all!"

This is meant to be a central archive for DW fic on the Internet, akin
to the old panatropic.net archive. It has many of the same features
as fanfiction.net such as uploading and editing your own stories and
submitting reviews. All authors are welcome to sign up for accounts and
start uploading their fic right away!

Sam

Helen Fayle

Aug 19, 2003, 5:29:33 PM8/19/03
sam...@TheWorld.com (Samantha Wilkinson) wrote in message news:<bhjgjp$n07$1...@pcls4.std.com>...

> I'm pleased to announce that A Teaspoon and an Open Mind: A Doctor Who
> Fan Fiction Archive (http://www.whofic.com/) has just opened for
> business.

...and seems to think that spamming people is going to win friends...
four emails in one day, obviously on an automated mailout, just got
this bunch kill-filed...

ken...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Aug 19, 2003, 7:33:45 PM8/19/03
In article <ccab39c7.03081...@posting.google.com>,
thirtee...@ntlworld.com (Helen Fayle) wrote:

> .and seems to think that spamming people is going to win friends...
> four emails in one day, obviously on an automated mailout, just got
> this bunch kill-filed...

May or may not have been them. The latest spamming software harvests
newsgroups for from addresses as well as target ones.

Ken Young
ken...@cix.co.uk
Maternity is a matter of fact
Paternity is a matter of opinion

Helen Fayle

Aug 20, 2003, 1:38:54 AM8/20/03

<ken...@cix.compulink.co.uk> wrote in message

> In article <ccab39c7.03081...@posting.google.com>,
> thirtee...@ntlworld.com (Helen Fayle) wrote:
>
> > .and seems to think that spamming people is going to win friends...
> > four emails in one day, obviously on an automated mailout, just got
> > this bunch kill-filed...
>
> May or may not have been them. The latest spamming software harvests
> newsgroups for from addresses as well as target ones.

From this bunch, asking people to sign up to the fanfic website, and it went
to my sff.net addy, which I don't use on newsgroups...

Samantha Wilkinson

Aug 20, 2003, 11:26:50 AM8/20/03
In article <ccab39c7.03081...@posting.google.com>,

That's certainly your prerogative. I can't speak for anyone else, but I
personally sent *one* email to a handful of people on ff.net, who I was
under the impression were not being contacted by anyone else. Your name
was not among them. I also posted *one* message each to adwc, radw, and
radwm as well as a couple of web-based fora. I had felt that these
measures were reasonably unobtrusive while still letting possibly
interested parties know about the site.

I'm sorry that you received four emails. None of them were from me, and
I agree that that number was excessive. I'm afraid you were the victim
more of poor organization and excess zeal than malice. I doubt you'll
receive any futher emails anyway, but I will pass the word onto others
asking them not to bother you in the future.

Sam

ken...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Aug 20, 2003, 12:15:51 PM8/20/03
In article <4BE0b.61$5U2....@newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net>,
helen...@SPAMnottingham.ac.uk (Helen Fayle) wrote:

> From this bunch, asking people to sign up to the fanfic website,
> and it went to my sff.net addy, which I don't use on newsgroups...

Thanks, I was thinking of checking the site out. Will not bother now.

david

Aug 20, 2003, 7:39:28 PM8/20/03

"Samantha Wilkinson" <sam...@TheWorld.com> wrote in message

> I'm pleased to announce that A Teaspoon and an Open Mind: A Doctor Who
> Fan Fiction Archive (http://www.whofic.com/) has just opened for
> business. This is not my archive, by the way; I'm just pimping it.
>
> To quote the help page (http://www.whofic.com/help.php):

Congratulations!

Samantha Wilkinson

Aug 21, 2003, 12:23:06 PM8/21/03

I pointed this thread out to nostalgia (thehappin...@hotmail.com).
She asked me to post the following for her, as she doesn't have Usenet
access. As I have apparently been kill-filed, would some sympathetic
soul mind quoting this so that Helen and anyone else concerned might see
this:

Helen,

Four emails...erk! Sorry about that. I know that one got sent twice by
accident, (a double click on the net. Oops....) but... four? This is
entirely our fault - bad organisation, communication break-down, etc -
and word has been passed on that you should not be contacted again. Again,
sorry. If you ever change your mind, we'll be glad to welcome you to
the site. If not, well, I understand your concerns.

Our problem currently is tracking people down who write The Fic, and
emails have thus been going out in fairly large quantities. The problem of
scattered fic is the very issue the archive is an attempt to deal with -
Whofic is increasingly hard to track down online since panatropic went
the way of the dodo. Email wasn't something we settled on lightly, but
it really did seem like the only way. I'm not sure how wide-spread this
problem of multi-requests has been as you're the only person to mention
it so far, but I'll have a little inquiry into the problem.

Again, our sincere apologies.

nostalgia
Deputy Maintainer, The Teaspoon

Helen Fayle

Aug 22, 2003, 3:01:42 AM8/22/03
sam...@TheWorld.com (Samantha Wilkinson) wrote in message news:<bi2rla$g50$1...@pcls4.std.com>...

> In article <ccab39c7.03081...@posting.google.com>,
> Helen Fayle <thirtee...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >sam...@TheWorld.com (Samantha Wilkinson) wrote in message
> >> I'm pleased to announce that A Teaspoon and an Open Mind: A Doctor Who
> >> Fan Fiction Archive (http://www.whofic.com/) has just opened for
> >> business.
> >
> >...and seems to think that spamming people is going to win friends...
> >four emails in one day, obviously on an automated mailout, just got
> >this bunch kill-filed...
> >

> I pointed this thread out to nostalgia (thehappin...@hotmail.com).
> She asked me to post the following for her, as she doesn't have Usenet
> access. As I have apparently been kill-filed,

The killfile is for the fanfic bunch, as should be apparent from my
post, in that I run the sentence on deliberately to make the point.

But 4 totally unsolicited emails in 4 minutes, without my email
address in the "to" line looks like spam, and gets treated like spam.
Unless a post is addressed to me personally, I always bin it.
*Always*. Unsolicited mail and unsolicited emails are like
cold-calling - totally unwelcome, no matter what I may think of what
they're selling. And even if sent with the best will in the world, or
by mistake, it's not a good start, and doesn't give a good impression.

But: 'to address' = a mailing list, unsolicited email offering
services, presumably to several people...?? it's still spam... Doesn't
matter if the people sending it think it's worthwhile.