...or should I assume permission?

Random C

Mar 19, 2005, 10:22:26 PM3/19/05
It's been suggested that I should assume anyone who gave permission
for their fic to be archive on panatropic.net in the first place has
not withdrawn that permission in the time the archive has been
unavailable. It has been suggested that the existence of google groups
and archive.org make my efforts to contact the authors pointless.
I'd like your opinions, please.
--
Random C
Finally got round to getting back on usenet but

I. Inayat

Mar 20, 2005, 3:50:18 AM3/20/05

"Random C" <mat...@panatropic.net> wrote in message

> It's been suggested that I should assume anyone who gave permission
> for their fic to be archive on panatropic.net in the first place has
> not withdrawn that permission in the time the archive has been
> unavailable. It has been suggested that the existence of google groups
> and archive.org make my efforts to contact the authors pointless.
> I'd like your opinions, please.

Mm. To me, that first assumption is a tricky one. On one hand, if you make that
assumption, you can include stories by authors who've dropped off the Net, but
you may also get emails from authors who want their work to be taken off.

On the other hand, if you /don't/ make that assumption, and email to check if
the permission is still valid, then you know that you have permission for all
the stories presently up in the archive; the catch /here/, though, is that
you'll have to decide whether or not to assume permission from those authors
you can't contact.

I wouldn't call it pointless; at the very least it's a matter of courtesy, just
so people know where their work's going, and have the option to decline.

Speaking for myself, I appreciate being asked for permission; /not/ being
asked, and then finding my work up without my knowing, is something I'd find
disturbing at the very least.

Imran

Random C

Mar 20, 2005, 5:06:57 AM3/20/05
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 08:50:18 GMT, "I. Inayat"
<nar...@misterman00.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Speaking for myself, I appreciate being asked for permission; /not/ being
>asked, and then finding my work up without my knowing, is something I'd find
>disturbing at the very least.

Well quite, which is why I'm not really happy about re-archiving the
work of authors I can't contact - but on the other hand, there's a lot
of good fic, and many of the authors I won't be able to contact.
Either they've dropped off the net, or moved on to fandoms new, or are
going by different names now. I'm prepared to put a lot of effort into
tracking them down, but there is a limit to how many people I'll be
able to contact.
I'm also wondering about the IA series. At the time I was given
general permission to archive these, and anyone who wrote for one knew
it was going to be archived, in several places. Am I safe in assuming
that these, at least, are OK to include? In don't think I was asking
the individual authors, after a while.

Mags

Mar 20, 2005, 5:22:46 AM3/20/05

"Random C" <mat...@panatropic.net> wrote in message
> It's been suggested that I should assume anyone who gave permission
> for their fic to be archive on panatropic.net in the first place has
> not withdrawn that permission in the time the archive has been
> unavailable. It has been suggested that the existence of google groups
> and archive.org make my efforts to contact the authors pointless.
> I'd like your opinions, please.

Google does see all. Perhaps archive it, with a note on all the ones where
you've been unable to track down the author saying something like "if you
are the author of this work and no longer want it archived, please
email...blah blah blah"?

FWIW, the only stuff of mine in panatropic which I'm happy to still have
there is the stuff listed at:
http://www.halliday47.freeserve.co.uk/mj3-adwc.html

BTW, if you find a contact for Helen, please let her know I'm looking to get
a second copy of 'Nine Lives' (or to find out if it is OOP)...

--
Mags

PAUL GADZIKOWSKI

Mar 20, 2005, 9:43:18 AM3/20/05
Random C <mat...@panatropic.net> wrote:
: Well quite, which is why I'm not really happy about re-archiving the

: work of authors I can't contact - but on the other hand, there's a lot
: of good fic, and many of the authors I won't be able to contact.

I would suggest there's no foul in reloading the previously existing
archive. You were given permission upon first loading and, unless an
author gave you a time limit then, they have no gripe with you unless they
contact you anew and you don't respond.

Also, I haven't heard from you though I'm still at the same email address
I've had sine 1995, but I hereby restate that you have permission to
archive any material I've posted or ever will post to adwc in perpetuity.
That's slacked off quite a bit since 1999 when I started drawing my
fanfiction instead of writing it, and again since 2004 when I started a
more conventional webcomic, but there you are.

: I'm also wondering about the IA series. At the time I was given

: general permission to archive these, and anyone who wrote for one knew
: it was going to be archived, in several places. Am I safe in assuming
: that these, at least, are OK to include? In don't think I was asking
: the individual authors, after a while.

Again, the ones Panatropic already had are, it seems to me, a go. The
newer ones ... well, in your place I'd contact their moderators.

Paul Gadzikowski, scar...@iglou.com since 1995
http://www.arthurkingoftimeandspace.com New cartoons daily.

"King David couldn't open with Psalms."

Random C

Mar 20, 2005, 11:02:30 AM3/20/05
On 20 Mar 2005 09:43:18 -0500, PAUL GADZIKOWSKI
<scar...@shell1.iglou.com> wrote:

>Also, I haven't heard from you though I'm still at the same email address
>I've had sine 1995, but I hereby restate that you have permission to
>archive any material I've posted or ever will post to adwc in perpetuity.
>That's slacked off quite a bit since 1999 when I started drawing my
>fanfiction instead of writing it, and again since 2004 when I started a
>more conventional webcomic, but there you are.

:) My mail server fell over this morning, and I've been working on getting that up.
You were going to be emailed as part of the next batch. *removes from
list*

>: I'm also wondering about the IA series. At the time I was given
>: general permission to archive these, and anyone who wrote for one knew
>: it was going to be archived, in several places. Am I safe in assuming
>: that these, at least, are OK to include? In don't think I was asking
>: the individual authors, after a while.
>
>Again, the ones Panatropic already had are, it seems to me, a go. The
>newer ones ... well, in your place I'd contact their moderators.

Oh yes, I didn't mean anything I don't already have here.

ken...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Mar 20, 2005, 3:01:59 PM3/20/05
In article <lhiq31p3m2r6aiu8v...@4ax.com>,
mat...@panatropic.net (Random C) wrote:

> Well quite, which is why I'm not really happy about re-archiving the
> work of authors I can't contact

And there are also the authors you never archived in the first place
or who started writing after you stopped updating the archive. You are
welcome to archive anything of mine you can find, but in a lot of
cases I do not have copies of what I actually posted as that was a
final revision in my newsreader not the working version.

If you can not email authors as far as I can see all you can do is
post a notification on groups they are likely to be reading.

Ken Young
ken...@cix.co.uk
Maternity is a matter of fact
Paternity is a matter of opinion

Random C

Mar 20, 2005, 3:36:30 PM3/20/05
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 20:01:59 +0000 (UTC), ken...@cix.compulink.co.uk
wrote:

>In article <lhiq31p3m2r6aiu8v...@4ax.com>,
>mat...@panatropic.net (Random C) wrote:
>
>> Well quite, which is why I'm not really happy about re-archiving the
>> work of authors I can't contact
>
> And there are also the authors you never archived in the first place
>or who started writing after you stopped updating the archive.

They'll have to add their own fiction. :)