Computer as sine wave gen. / A dream!

1 view

Hypnotits

Sep 23, 1993, 1:45:49 PM9/23/93

I believe a computer monitor could produce a very close approximation
of a sinusoidal change in intensity... the reason is because the
phosphors on your monitor's tube will smooth out the chunkiness of
your sine wave quite a bit... the same way that conversion from
digital music to analog music smooths out the transitions...
So, if you have a 60Hz monitor, and every 1/60th of a second you look
up in a table what your next color value is going to be, you won't
have a series like color 1, color 7, color 10, color 7, color 1, etc.,
the intermediate values that you fall on every 60th of a second will
be different for each cycle of the wave, and the phospors on your
screen will smooth out the error. (I know I didn't explain this too
well... if you read rec.games.programmer, you should understand
this...that is, if you know what a sine wave is.)

Anyway, on to my lucid dream of last night! I have had LD's in the
past where I was afraid to move or do anything really, because I have3
this fear for my actual physical body. I fear that my physical body
will be harmed while I am "away" dreaming, and I fear that my
movements in my dream will translate into unpredictable movements by
my physical body. Both of these fears are unrealistic (mostly), and
they only seem real when I'm dreaming.
Well last night, I was able to overcome these fears mostly. I was in
a situation where two men (cops or something) had chased me into the
store-room of some kind of retail store, and they were preparing to
arrest me, or kill me or something. I realized almost immediately
that I was dreaming, and I then began to move my arms around... it
felt almost like breaking out of a shell... a shell that had been
moving for me. I then proceeded to grab ahold of each attacker and
bash them senseless. It only took one hit each to knock them out... I
think I had decided that I wanted these guys out of the dream in a
hurry.
After these guys were out of the way, I was feeling extremely
euphoric... I can still remember the feeling right now. I decided to
explore my dream world by opening the door that I had entered through,
but at this point, I hadn't decided what I wanted to be behind the
door... I found it EXTREMELY difficult to "will" anything to appear
behind the door, and in fact, when I opened it, there was nothing but
some blue-ness, and maybe a jumble of a few things, and then the dream
ended.

Too much too fast, I guess.

In this dream, I also had the very strong urge to "open my eyes", but
this time I resisted it, and that helped. I need more work on
overcoming the fear of moving within my dreams.

I tried a technique described earlier on a.l.d and I believe it is
what led into this lucid dream. The technique is, when you wake up in
the middle of the night, around prime dreaming time, lull yourself
back to sleep by repeatedly saying "I am dreaming." If a dream starts
while this thought is still fresh in your head, lucidity should soon
follow....

P.S. The "illegal lucid dreaming" thing was a joke, and it keeps
getting funnier, because obviously there are people on here who just
don't get it... stop trying to debunk the idea... NOBODY ELSE THOUGHT
IT WAS REAL. thank you.
To find out more about the anon service, send mail to he...@anon.penet.fi.
Please report any problems, inappropriate use etc. to ad...@anon.penet.fi.

Eddie Edwards

Sep 27, 1993, 12:26:55 PM9/27/93
Hypnotits (an2...@anon.penet.fi) wrote:

[...]

I don't really agree (and the digital-analog music analogy (sic) doesn't
hold ice) because the phosphors fade while they are not stimulated, and
while it takes a certain amount of time to ramp up to the new brightness
level I think you'd get s/thing like this:

time ->
X X X X X X X X
@ @
. .. . ..
. .. . ..
@.. . .. @ @ . .. @

Not very sinusoidal, I think you'll agree. The delay is probably
vastly exagerrated, but you get the idea.

Perhaps one could compensate?

Anyway, the theory is all very well, but experiments make better reading.

Eddie xxx

PS some countries still have 50Hz monitors ...