How about Best/Favorite Movies of the 70s?

Harold Williams

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
I'd love to see some more top-10 lists. What are your favorite movies of the
decade? I'll start with a few of my own favorites:

Drama:
Clockwork Orange - Did you know it is still banned in Britian? A little too
much of the ultraviolence...
Airport 75 - Actually, this one is unintentionally humorous. I think of it
more as a comedy.
Taxi Driver - Believe it not, I had never seen this until a month ago. Wow!
Captures mid-70s NY like no other movie I know of.

Comedy:
Annie Hall - I still watch this every few months
Network - "I'm as mad as hell..."

Musical:
Saturday Night Fever - I feel like I should have to apologize for this
selection!

Harold Williams

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
>I hope I didn't sound like a smart elic with response to your question
about sitcoms,

Not at all. Thanks for reminding me about One Flew. I'll have to rent that
DVD too...

Ghost of Quentin Collins

Jan 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/3/99
Harold,

ONE FLEW OVER THE CUKOO"S NEST

That is my favorite movie, not only of the 70's, but of all time. I hope I

didn't sound like a smart elic with response to your question about

sitcoms, that wasn't my intention. I really like best of lists. Its funny
you mentioned Airport 75', Its HILARIOUS! A friend and I have an inside
joke about that movie. During one of the panice scenes, everyone is
hystercial except for one black guy who sits there like he could be waiting
for a bus. LMAO.

Harold Williams <hwil...@hotmail.com> wrote in article
<368eeffe$0$97...@nntp1.ba.best.com>...

RetroTrish

Jan 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/3/99

Someone has already mentioned Annie Hall, which is probably my favorite film of
the 1970's. Others I would include:

Chinatown
The Godfather
Manhattan
All the President's Men
Three Days of the Condor

Trish in Atlanta, with dachshunds Thelma Lou & Barney Fife
RETRO FUN: http://members.aol.com/RetroTrish/collect/
* Retrotown maillist * 1950's-'80's pop culture * dachshund rescue * crafts *
children's literature * writers & readers resources *

wildc...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/4/99

> Someone has already mentioned Annie Hall, which is probably my favorite film
of
> the 1970's. Others I would include:
>
> Chinatown
> The Godfather
> Manhattan
> All the President's Men
> Three Days of the Condor

My $0.02:
AMERICAN GRAFFITTI (the greatest movie of all-time)
NASHVILLE

Andrew Stewart

Jan 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/4/99
The 1970s were a great decade for movies. Some of my faves:

- Almost anything by Scorsese
- Almost anything by Nic Roeg (but especially The Man Who Fell To
Earth and Don't Look Now)
- Godfather 1 and 2
- One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
- Chinatown

(np: Best Of Bowie 69/74)
To join 1300 fans receiving a free monthly BOWIE newsletter, send a message to
bowie...@hotmail.com with the subject "Subscribe"
For copies of back issues, check out http://www.angelfire.com/al/bowienews/

Zep77

Jan 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/11/99
my favorite: ANIMAL HOUSE!
the best: taxi driver,cuckoos nest,deer hunter, godfather 1 & 2,serpico,mean
streets,harold & maude,star wars,close encounters,jaws.
mike

RetroTrish

Jan 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/11/99

BTW, MOVIELINE magazine did a terrific issue a few years ago about the decade
of the 1970's in film. If anyone is really into '70's film, this back issue
would be well worth looking up.

RetroTrish

Jan 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/11/99

In article <76qgeo$qqv$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, wildc...@my-dejanews.com
writes:

>AMERICAN GRAFFITTI
>NASHVILLE

These are both great movies, and big '70's favorites of mine. I should have
put them on my list as well! Have seen both of these fairly recently and they
hold up very well -- just as good now as they were in the '70's.

jarriel

Jan 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/11/99
Mad MAx
Food of The Gods
Race With the Devil
Billy Jack
Dirty Harry
The French Connection
Goldfinger
Deliverance
Star Wars
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Annie Hall
Blazing Saddles
Young Frankenstein
Breaking Away
Patton
The Man who would be King

Endymion9

Jan 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/13/99
>>AMERICAN GRAFFITTI
>>NASHVILLE
>>

>These are both great movies, and big '70's favorites of mine. I should have
>put them on my list as well! Have seen both of these fairly recently and
>they
>hold up very well -- just as good now as they were in the '70's.

I would love to see Nashville again. I saw it at the theatre but haven't seen
it since. Seems they don't run it on tv.
Dennis/Endy
Happiness is reading a good scifi book :)

ronal...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/15/99
In article <19990110202753...@ng22.aol.com>,

"The Warriors"---way cool!

"Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory"--weird, man

"Over the Edge"--my childhood

Ron Albanese

W. N. Kruger

Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
Favorite movies from the 70's...
Midnight Express and Goodbye Girl..... Oh, and Kiss Meets the Phantom of the
Park. HA HA HA

Nadine
ronal...@my-dejanews.com wrote in message
<77ohl5$56d$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

ChesterB

Jan 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/17/99
gumball rally
bad ronald

+++++++++++++++--
hoot man

F Gene Dempsey

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
Warriors was a great movie. I remember watching it over and over.

--
Gene Dempsey ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Pleasure - gdem...@bc.seflin.org / \ ^ / \ / \ / \ / \

BarnabasJr

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99
2 TV movies I loved were "Born Innocent" and "The Screaming Woman" which scared
me so bad I was afraid to walk across the street to go home, and that was in
the days when neighborhoods were safe! Anyone know where I can get a copy of
The Screaming Woman?

Bootzy

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99
ok... i posted this in the 80's NG but it really got me thinking...
Mothers in shows often died unexplained. Anyone remember any other show
where the mom was dead? I know it's a bit morbid not to mention an obvious
storyline device but...

what i want to know is what ever *really* happened to the Cunninghams
eldest son "chuck". If you guys remember watching the earlier episodes (
like when Fonzi wore a light blue poplin jacket not his trademark leather
one) Ritchie was actually the middle child. I remember Chuck always having
a basketball close by.

Maybe i'll just add it to the conspiracy of the "missing family member"
syndrome of sit com land.

hmmm....maybe i'll start another thread about the dark side of TV
sitcoms.......like what *really* happened to the respected dead spouces of
Mike and Carol Brady. Notice how the causes of their deaths were never
addressed and how when the young Bobby Brady brought up the subject he was
quickly pacified. As for other sitcoms, Moms seemed to die early in life (
Courtship of Eddie's Father, My Three Sons, Beverley Hillbillies, Family
Affair, etc...) And since this is an 80's NG, remember the show about
twins ( i was in love with the smart one!!)...and yes...the mom died. And
the show with Nell Carter and a very young Joey Lawrence...dead
mom....then years later a show ( still with Joey Lawrence)
Blossom...yes...once again....dead mom....then keeping with the Joey
Lawrence dead mom pattern... show on Disney, featuring Joey as the oldest
brother...yes...dead mom ( and dad). Spooky, huh?

a few people also pointed a few shows out as well like Eight is enough,
Pettycoat Junction, etc...any others??

Bootzy

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99

BTW...the trend continues in the 90's:
Hercules....dead mom
the TV show, The Nanny....dead mom.... *but* she does come back in one
episode as a ghost.... first time i ever seen that plotline.
Brothers Keeper...dead mom
some years back, that show withthe Olsen twins as babies....Bob Saget was
in it.....dead mom
Friend's...Pheobes dead mom but is now a cat...
Fraiser....dead mom
Jesse...dead mom
Millenium...assasinated mom...well, she was killed by a secret virus, but
she died *in* the show anyway...
X-files...assasinated mom once again
Party of 5, well ok...both parents dead...
Simpson's....oh wait...she is really alive *but* for 30 years Homer
thought she was dead...so same difference...
Suddenly Susan....raised by grandma = dead mom
Nash Bridges...both Nash's wife and mom ...dead

what were the dead mom 70's shows??

J & P

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99

Bootzy wrote in message ...

>BTW...the trend continues in the 90's:

Snipped to get to this part...

>Suddenly Susan....raised by grandma = dead mom

Mom is alive. Played by Swoozie Kurtz.

LizzieZ

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99
>Maybe i'll just add it to the conspiracy of the "missing family member"
>syndrome of sit com land.

Conversely, (even though this was an 80s show) how about when the Cosbys
suddenly had an eldest daughter later in the series? What is really funny is
seeing the episode where Cliff and Claire are in bed and say "why did we have 4
children?" and eventually they had five.

Also jumping past the 70s parameter for just another minute (please forgive
me), we have the episode of "Cheers" when Frasier Crane mentions that his
father is dead. Fortunately the writers of "Frasier" remembered that and were
able to correct it when Sam Malone came to visit Frasier in Seattle and called
him on it. Sam said Frasier told him his father was dead and never even
mentioned having a brother (also invented for "Frasier"). Frasier just
attributed it to being in a bad place in his life...

Maybe they do things like this just to see who's paying attention.
The only thing that's worse to me is when sitcom families have babies that grow
up much faster than the real-time they're supposed to be living through.
(Cases in point, the kids on "Family Ties" and "Growing Pains.")

We now return you to your regularly scheduled NG. :-)

Liz

michael

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99
Chuck went off to college somewhere, didn't he? IIRC, he wasn't the most
compelling character anyway.

Bootzy wrote in message ...

>ok... i posted this in the 80's NG but it really got me thinking...
>Mothers in shows often died unexplained. Anyone remember any other show
>where the mom was dead? I know it's a bit morbid not to mention an obvious
>storyline device but...
>

>what i want to know is what ever *really* happened to the Cunninghams
>eldest son "chuck". If you guys remember watching the earlier episodes (
>like when Fonzi wore a light blue poplin jacket not his trademark leather
>one) Ritchie was actually the middle child. I remember Chuck always having
>a basketball close by.
>

>Maybe i'll just add it to the conspiracy of the "missing family member"
>syndrome of sit com land.

Bootzy

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99
In article <YAGq2.1826$t85.1...@news1.mia>, "J & P"

<jpho...@bellsouth.nospam.net> wrote:
> >Suddenly Susan....raised by grandma = dead mom
>

> Mom is alive. Played by Swoozie Kurtz.

ooops...my bad. i stand corrected.

Bootzy

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99
In article <19990124130109...@ng-ch1.aol.com>, liz...@aol.com
(LizzieZ) wrote:

SNIP SNIP SNIP

> Maybe they do things like this just to see who's paying attention.
> The only thing that's worse to me is when sitcom families have babies
that grow
> up much faster than the real-time they're supposed to be living through.
> (Cases in point, the kids on "Family Ties" and "Growing Pains.")
>
> We now return you to your regularly scheduled NG. :-)
>
> Liz

HAHAHAHAH.......yes! Another phenomena that i have noticed. Or how
babies are made without the women being pregnant on Soap Operas. Just
*poof*....instant baby...let the fighting begin!!!

Bootzy

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99
In article <19990124225117...@ng-cg1.aol.com>, hed...@aol.com
(Hedlinz) wrote:

> How about missing dads? Whatever happened to MR. Partridge?? Never came up.

yes....that was my next thought ...hmmmm

anyone out there remember any dead dad's?

Hedlinz

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99

Tee King

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99

>anyone out there remember any dead dad's?

How about Dianne Carroll's, "Julia"? She played a single mom/nurse, but did
her husband die, or were they merely separated/divorced?

John Smith

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99
That's on TVLand now every weekday :-)

jarriel

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99
CHuck went off to college and came back to visit on occasion

jarriel

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99
Rather than go off to college they could have had Chuck, Join the Army, went off
to fight in a. Korea b. Vietnam, it would depend on which episode. Then when he
came back, he could have been a druggie and burnt out with post traumatic
stresss disorder and not allowed back home by his dad Mr Cunningham, who they
could have made a veteran of the D Day landings and hey..he didnt have Post
Traumatic Stress Disorder (He could say stuff like "In my day we didnt whine, we
just went ahead and did what we had to do then got on with our lives, if Chuck
cant handle it, I dont want him around, Vietnam, Scmietnam (Applause and
laughter from the auddience) he shoulda been there on D Day)

Then Mrs Cunningham could say something like: But Howard, they didnt call you a
baby killer and things like that...poor Chuck....

Enters Arthur Fonzerelli

Mr Cunningham: And you, you son of a bitch, why arent you in Vietnam?
Fonzie: AYYYYYYYYYY......!!! Whats up Mr C?
Mr Cunningham: Listen Fonzie, You need to open that letter from the draft board,
I bet it has rep[orting orders in it
Mrs Cunningham: Howard, I have something to tell you
Mr Cunningham: What is it Marion, cant you see Im talking to Fonzie..now shut
the hell up
Mr C: What is it Marion
Mrs C: Well, Ive been holding onto the letter from the draft board, I was afriad
they would call Fonzie and I wouldnt have anyone to give me multiple orgasms
Mr C: Aint that just like a woman! (Applause and Laughter)
Fonzie: AYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!! No problem Mr C, Ill trot off to Vietnam, kill some
of those little yellow bastards and we can have cybersex..oh, wait that isnt for
another 19 years..sorry
Mrs C: Do me FOnzie, do me
Mr C: OK, Marion, thats enough, leave Fonzie alone (More applause and laughter)
FOnzie: AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mr C, theres something I need to tell
you
Mr C: Whats that FOnz?
FOnzie: Well, as you know, Im Italian...
Mr C: Yes, and
Fonzie: has it ever occured to you that Joany has very dark hair, looks not much
like you?
Mr C: Well, yea, now and then
FOnzie: And you notice how I took a liking to Shortcakes?
Mr C: Yes, well
FOnzie: Goddamn it Howard I fucked your wife and Joany's my kid..get you head
out of your ass
(Laughter and applause)
AYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

IN our next episode see how Joany takes on Ralph Mouf (They dont call me the
mouf for nothing), Potsie Weber and Ritchie all at the same time in the episode
titled:
JOANY LOVES CHACHI AND RITCHIE AND POTSIE AND RALPH

Hedlinz

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99
How about the Partridge Family dad? No one mentioned him. Must not have missed
him!

bif...@yahoo.com

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
In article <bootzy-2401...@1cust19.tnt9.sfo3.da.uu.net>,

boo...@email.com (Bootzy) wrote:
> ok... i posted this in the 80's NG but it really got me thinking...
> Mothers in shows often died unexplained. Anyone remember any other show
> where the mom was dead? I know it's a bit morbid not to mention an obvious
> storyline device but...

My Three Sons, which ran until 1972
Archie Bunker's Place (Gloria's mom, Edith, died in 1980)
Nanny and the Professor
Mayberry R.F.D (successor to 1960's "Andy Griffith Show", another dead mom)
Make Room for Daddy (first mom written out of show in 1956)

The mom was *not* dead on Petticoat Junction; Bea Benederet died, but was
written out differently.