cereal boxes with records on them

已查看 0 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

nicki

未读,
1996年6月22日 03:00:001996/6/22
收件人

Does anybody remember when you got a free 45 record album on the back
of certain cereal boxes, like "Sugar,Sugar" on the back of Super Sugar
Crisp,(they call it Golden Crisp now)? Where can you get these? My
son thinks I'm insane of course he doesn't even know what a 45 record is.

Nicki
@midwest.net

SunnyDeb

未读,
1996年6月22日 03:00:001996/6/22
收件人

I remember them, but I don't know where you can get them.

Deb

Gwen Orel

未读,
1996年6月22日 03:00:001996/6/22
收件人

HA! I have the 45 to ABC by the Jackson Five this way!! Tee hee.

Gwen

SunnyDeb (sunn...@aol.com) wrote:

Vashti

未读,
1996年6月22日 03:00:001996/6/22
收件人

sunn...@aol.com (SunnyDeb) wrote:

>In article <4qfi44$6...@sparky.midwest.net>, @midwest.net (nicki) writes:

>>Does anybody remember when you got a free 45 record album on the back
>>of certain cereal boxes, like "Sugar,Sugar" on the back of Super Sugar
>>Crisp,(they call it Golden Crisp now)? Where can you get these? My
>>son thinks I'm insane of course he doesn't even know what a 45 record is.

>I remember them, but I don't know where you can get them.

You would have a hard time finding them, me thinks. Hey do you
remember when MAD magazine had 45's in them? One was called "It's a
Gas" and had burping on it. Saw it recently on a CD of old MAD
songs.

vash
shoulda bought the CD when I saw it.

Charles Hobbs

未读,
1996年6月22日 03:00:001996/6/22
收件人

Vashti wrote:

> You would have a hard time finding them, me thinks. Hey do you
> remember when MAD magazine had 45's in them? One was called "It's a
> Gas" and had burping on it. Saw it recently on a CD of old MAD
> songs.

I remember a MAD magazine with another funny record called "Makin'
Out". There was still another one, which I never got around to
buying, that had a record with four songs on it. This record was
special
in that the grooves for the four songs were intermixed; the song
that would play would be seemingly random (but would depend on
where *exactly* one placed the needle). Confused yet?

All of these MAD songs mentioned have been heard on
"The Doctor Demento Show" . . .

ljwe...@pipeline.com

未读,
1996年6月23日 03:00:001996/6/23
收件人

In article <31CC99...@primenet.com>, Charles Hobbs writes:

>Vashti wrote:

>There was still another one, which I never got around to
>buying, that had a record with four songs on it. This record was
>special in that the grooves for the four songs were intermixed; the song
>that would play would be seemingly random (but would depend on
>where *exactly* one placed the needle). Confused yet?

I had two Bobby Sherman 45s from cereal boxes, though I cut one off a
bit too close to the grooves, so it was hard to get the first line of the
song on that one. (Any Bobby Sherman fans out there? Anyone remember his
short-lived spin-off from the Partridge family, called "Gettin' Together"?
I think it only lasted 13 episodes, but I'm sure I must have watched all 13
with rapt attention. I even (audio) taped a few--wish I knew where those
tapes were now.)
Also, there was a Monty Python album made in the 70's that claimed it
was the only album that had 3 sides--one side had a double set of grooves,
so they actually got two separate tracks (is this the right word?) on one
side of the album.

Vashti

未读,
1996年6月23日 03:00:001996/6/23
收件人

Charles Hobbs <tra...@primenet.com> wrote:

>> You would have a hard time finding them, me thinks. Hey do you
>> remember when MAD magazine had 45's in them? One was called "It's a
>> Gas" and had burping on it. Saw it recently on a CD of old MAD
>> songs.

>I remember a MAD magazine with another funny record called "Makin'

>Out". There was still another one, which I never got around to

>buying, that had a record with four songs on it. This record was
>special
>in that the grooves for the four songs were intermixed; the song
>that would play would be seemingly random (but would depend on
>where *exactly* one placed the needle). Confused yet?

>All of these MAD songs mentioned have been heard on

>"The Doctor Demento Show" . . .

Next time I go to the CD store I will check this CD (if it is still
there...) and see what is on it. Maybe it has the whole series of 45
stuff. Certainly the Dr. Demento CD's do...

I have some Tom Lehrer songs in wav format...nanny nanny boo boo!

peace
vash

L. Sutton

未读,
1996年6月24日 03:00:001996/6/24
收件人

I have a huge (well, relatively anyway) collection of these records. I
have 4 variations on Bobby Sherman, # different Archie Picture discs, The
Jackson 5, The Monkees and my FAVORITE: "The Sugar Bears" which came on
Sugar Crisp. The voice of "Honey Bear was none other than Kim Carnes.

G. V. Palazzolo

未读,
1996年6月24日 03:00:001996/6/24
收件人

I never could get the darn things to play right on my record player.

:( *pout*

--
*** Knowledge is power. ***

Vashti

未读,
1996年6月24日 03:00:001996/6/24
收件人

zo...@lightlink.com (G. V. Palazzolo) wrote:

>I never could get the darn things to play right on my record player.

>:( *pout*

Hey, ya shoulda spun it on a pencil, and made a funnel out of a piece
of paper, with a pin in it.

peace
vash
(very ingenious when she wants to be)

Jeff Gower

未读,
1996年6月24日 03:00:001996/6/24
收件人

In article <4qfi44$6...@sparky.midwest.net>, ni...@midwest.net wrote:

> Does anybody remember when you got a free 45 record album on the back
> of certain cereal boxes, like "Sugar,Sugar" on the back of Super Sugar
> Crisp,(they call it Golden Crisp now)? Where can you get these? My
> son thinks I'm insane of course he doesn't even know what a 45 record is.

Haha! I actually had this 45 from that cereal box. Obviously, it didn't
play very well, and I threw it away. given the 70s renaissance these
days, I shoulda kept it, eh?

Jeff

Perry and Lauri

未读,
1996年6月24日 03:00:001996/6/24
收件人

zo...@lightlink.com (G. V. Palazzolo) wrote:

>I never could get the darn things to play right on my record player.

Was it a Close 'n' Play record player?

David B. Thomas

未读,
1996年6月24日 03:00:001996/6/24
收件人

I have a tape that I made offa one of those! The song was "Goin' Back
To Indiana" by the Jackson Five, and I had to try about 15 times to
get a clean pass. Even so, it skipped near the end and I decided to
ignore it. The record itself is long gone, but the tape sounds better
than the record would sound today if I had kept it :-P

David
--
Long live the 70s! http://www.rt66.com/dthomas/70s/70s.html

David B. Thomas

未读,
1996年6月24日 03:00:001996/6/24
收件人

Charles Hobbs <tra...@primenet.com> writes:

>I remember a MAD magazine with another funny record called "Makin'
>Out". There was still another one, which I never got around to
>buying, that had a record with four songs on it. This record was
>special
>in that the grooves for the four songs were intermixed; the song
>that would play would be seemingly random (but would depend on
>where *exactly* one placed the needle). Confused yet?

Since I put up a call for these on the 70s page, I lucked into
something. A very nice fellow named Michael Cesarno not only recorded
some MAD records (including Makin' Out and the one with the surprise
ending, and also a disco one), but he also photocopied the pages from
the magazine that related to the records, and scanned some of them, as
well as the records themselves, as GIFs. Watta guy!

So, some time in the near future I'll be putting some MAD record stuff
up on my 70s page.

Gwen Orel

未读,
1996年6月24日 03:00:001996/6/24
收件人

Bobby Sherman!! Bobby Sherman!! I forgot all about him, and
in 3rd grade I vowed I would MARRY him! Ah, the fickleness of
youth. I think I had one of those 45s also.

Anyone have the Partridge family board game?

Gwen
who loves this newsgroup!

ljwe...@pipeline.com wrote:

: In article <31CC99...@primenet.com>, Charles Hobbs writes:
:
: >Vashti wrote:

:
: >There was still another one, which I never got around to

: >buying, that had a record with four songs on it. This record was
: >special in that the grooves for the four songs were intermixed; the song
: >that would play would be seemingly random (but would depend on
: >where *exactly* one placed the needle). Confused yet?

:
: I had two Bobby Sherman 45s from cereal boxes, though I cut one off a

Gwen Orel

未读,
1996年6月24日 03:00:001996/6/24
收件人

We had that too!! We had that too!!

Gwen

Perry and Lauri (per...@tcd.net) wrote:

G. V. Palazzolo

未读,
1996年6月25日 03:00:001996/6/25
收件人

Nope, it wasn't a Close 'n' Play. It was just your basic monaural,
stand-alone phonograph. It did close up like a suitcase for transport,
though. It was a hand-me-down from my babysitter. I got a lot of stuff
from her when she outgrew or got sick of her clothing, possessions,
whatever

:)
zos

Hayes

未读,
1996年6月27日 03:00:001996/6/27
收件人
Brian wrote:

> My brothers and I played...the Archies' record that came
> on the back of the box of Super Sugar Crisp-- "Sugar, Sugar." We
>were,
> of course, fortunate enough to have an old regular phonograph, with
> three speeds. We thought it was the height of comic genius to play
> records at the wrong speed and dance around our bedroom to it.
"Sugar, Sugar" has the distinction of being the first pop record I
ever had. It came on the box of Post Honeycombs. Actually, my sister
and I both laid claim to it. With the big warp and the skips, those
three speeds on the record player don't subtract that much from the
quality!!!

--Dixon Hayes
6 when I got "Sugar, Sugar"

John Saponaro

未读,
1996年6月27日 03:00:001996/6/27
收件人
Gwen Orel wrote:

> Anyone have the Partridge family board game?

Nowadays, the in type of game is the video game (also the computer game). I
wonder if they would have bothered to make such a game based on a family
sitcom, and what would it be like?

ljwe...@pipeline.com

未读,
1996年6月28日 03:00:001996/6/28
收件人
In article <31D35D...@village.ios.com>, John Saponaro writes:

>wonder if they would have bothered to make such a game based on a family
>sitcom

Since there are still family sitcoms, yet no video games based on them, I
guess we know the answer to that one. It's a very different time and kids,
in some ways, are also very different than we were 20 years ago.

Justin Case

未读,
1996年6月29日 03:00:001996/6/29
收件人
dth...@mack.rt66.com (David B. Thomas) wrote:

>Charles Hobbs <tra...@primenet.com> writes:

>>I remember a MAD magazine with another funny record called "Makin'

>>Out". There was still another one, which I never got around to

>>buying, that had a record with four songs on it.

I remember another recording that came with a MAD magazine. It was
titled "She Got a Nose Job". The words were;
SHE got a NOSE Job!, SHE got a NOSE Job!
Now it's turned up, instead of hangin' down.
SHE got a NOSE Job, SHE got a NOSE JOB!!
Now she's tha prettiest girl in town, (softer) now she's tha
prettiest girl in town.

My $0.02 worth, Justin

Charles Hobbs

未读,
1996年6月29日 03:00:001996/6/29
收件人
Brian wrote:

> My brothers and I played the shit out of the Archies' record that came

> on the back of the box of Super Sugar Crisp-- "Sugar, Sugar." We were,
> of course, fortunate enough to have an old regular phonograph, with
> three speeds. We thought it was the height of comic genius to play
> records at the wrong speed and dance around our bedroom to it.

Us kids loved to do that once in a while,but we were often told
that playing records at the wrong speed would "ruin" them . . .

Cliff O'Neill

未读,
1996年6月29日 03:00:001996/6/29
收件人 Vashti
Vashti wrote:

> Charles Hobbs <tra...@primenet.com> wrote:
>
> >> You would have a hard time finding them, me thinks. Hey do you
> >> remember when MAD magazine had 45's in them? One was called "It's a
> >> Gas" and had burping on it. Saw it recently on a CD of old MAD
> >> songs.

> >All of these MAD songs mentioned have been heard on

> >"The Doctor Demento Show" . . .
>
> Next time I go to the CD store I will check this CD (if it is still
> there...) and see what is on it. Maybe it has the whole series of 45
> stuff. Certainly the Dr. Demento CD's do...

Yep. They're all on a new collection of all those Mad Magazine songs,
including the "It's A Gas" and the other ones from the magazine flexi-discs.
The only one missing that I recall is the "Super Spectacular Day" one that
had the zillion different endings, depending on where you dropped the
needle. Can't imagine that one could reproduce that on CD!

--
Cliff O'Neill
In Your Ear Music

Cliff O'Neill

未读,
1996年6月29日 03:00:001996/6/29
收件人 or...@stu.beloit.edu
Gwen Orel wrote:

> Bobby Sherman!! Bobby Sherman!! I forgot all about him, and
> in 3rd grade I vowed I would MARRY him! Ah, the fickleness of
> youth. I think I had one of those 45s also.

Woudja believe he's a paramedic now?

> Anyone have the Partridge family board game?

I do! I do! But I had to pay a bundle for mine and I'm not givin' it up ;-)
But, heck, the price was worth it for the cool game card in there that says
"Lori Is A Member Of The Now Generation - Go Forward Three Spaces."

Charles Hobbs

未读,
1996年6月29日 03:00:001996/6/29
收件人
Cliff O'Neill wrote:

> Gwen Orel wrote:
> >
> > Bobby Sherman!! Bobby Sherman!! I forgot all about him, and
> > in 3rd grade I vowed I would MARRY him! Ah, the fickleness of
> > youth. I think I had one of those 45s also.
>
> Woudja believe he's a paramedic now?

Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "Be Still My Beating Heart".
Well, sort of . . .:-)

Kent Parks

未读,
1996年6月30日 03:00:001996/6/30
收件人
Cliff O'Neill (clif...@erols.com) wrote:

: > Anyone have the Partridge family board game?

: I do! I do! But I had to pay a bundle for mine and I'm not givin' it up ;-)
: But, heck, the price was worth it for the cool game card in there that says
: "Lori Is A Member Of The Now Generation - Go Forward Three Spaces."

Cliff, Cliff, Cliff...if you were a TRUE Partridge fan, you would know
that her name is spelled LAURIE, not LORI...almost as unforgivable a
mistake as those who spell Marcia Brady's name as MARSHA... <GGGGG>

PS--I bought that game--also for and arm & a leg, from an antique
store--for my best friend for Xmas a couple of years ago.

Kent

PS-thanks for the tip (a few months ago) on Vinyl Vendors...this week I
finally received my own copy of Pink Lady's "Kiss in the Dark" !!! :)

Kent Parks

未读,
1996年6月30日 03:00:001996/6/30
收件人
: We thought it was the height of comic genius to play
: > records at the wrong speed and dance around our bedroom to it.
: >

: Us kids loved to do that once in a while,but we were often told
: that playing records at the wrong speed would "ruin" them . . .

We did that too--play 45's on 78.

TRUE CONFESSION: To this day I like to
play 45's at the wrong speed (I have about 1000 45s, mostly from the 70s),
but I play them too SLOW, in 33...it plays them a perfect fourth lower,
and the lyrics and instrumentation are richer sounding. OK, so sometimes
I'm stoned when I do it... :-7

Kent

Dixon Hayes

未读,
1996年6月30日 03:00:001996/6/30
收件人

G. V. Palazzolo wrote:

> I never could get the darn things to play right on my record player.
>
> :( *pout*
Hey, you ain't the lone ranger, pal. Those records were shipped in
cartons, on trucks, bounced around by stockboys from Battle Creek,
Michigan (or wherever) to Glencoe, Alabama (or wherever), then thrown
onto store shelves. Of course, by the time I clipped the
Archies' "Sugar, Sugar" off the back of the Post Honeycombs box, it was
scratched to hell and back. Then I could *never* get the center poked
out right, so ultimately the Archies sounded like a bunch of zombies who
forgot half the words.

BTW, who said they still had the Jackson 5ive single from the Sugar
Crisp box? That would be an *awesome* one to have,even if the stereo
quality sucks.

Dixon

Gwen Orel

未读,
1996年7月1日 03:00:001996/7/1
收件人

Actually, the board game was really dull. We had to invent new rules just
to make it worth playing. Same for the Snoopy come Home game.

Don''t they make theme board games now? Anyone been in a toy store
lately?

Gwen

John Saponaro (joh...@village.ios.com) wrote:

: Gwen Orel wrote:
: >
: > Anyone have the Partridge family board game?

: Nowadays, the in type of game is the video game (also the computer game). I

: wonder if they would have bothered to make such a game based on a family

: sitcom, and what would it be like?

G. Jeffrey Gower

未读,
1996年7月4日 03:00:001996/7/4
收件人

On 30 Jun 1996, Kent Parks wrote:
> Cliff, Cliff, Cliff...if you were a TRUE Partridge fan, you would know
> that her name is spelled LAURIE, not LORI...almost as unforgivable a
> mistake as those who spell Marcia Brady's name as MARSHA... <GGGGG>

Speaking of Partridge trivia....you know who Tony Romeo is? He is the
guy who wrote many of the Partridge tunes (he also wrote some of the
Cowsills tunes) like "I Think I Love You", "It's One of Those Nights",
and "Point Me in the Direction of Albuquerque". I think he just recently
passed away. Does anyone out there know any more info on him - was he
just a songwriter, or did he do other things like perform, etc.?

Jeff

Doran

未读,
1996年7月30日 03:00:001996/7/30
收件人 tr...@swsmail.atlanta.com

That reminds me of those miniature album covers that contained record-
shaped pink bubblegum. The gum even had little grooves imprinted on
them. I remember seeing the White Album (Beatles) and The Knack.

david

未读,
1996年8月3日 03:00:001996/8/3
收件人

In article <4tkqc4$i...@news.swsbbs.com>, tr...@swsmail.atlanta.com. wrote:

> I remember these well! Does anyone remember the Archies records that
> were on cereal boxes. I think they were on Sugar Smacks or Sugar
> Pops?

Yes, I have one of these in great shape. Do you know when they made them?

Thanks,
-daev

david

未读,
1996年8月3日 03:00:001996/8/3
收件人

Those were called Chu-Bops and they had a few different series. My
mother-in-law gave me her collection of those.

-dave

0 个新帖子