zoom

Songbuff

Nov 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/28/97

Am I crazy, or was there a PBS kids show on in the '70's called ZOOM?
I remember their address like this...

"That's ZOOM...Z-double O-M, Box 350, Boston Mass, 0-2-1-3-4...."

My husband thinks I'm nuts...can anyone confirm?
Thanks,
Stephanie

Keith Stephenson

Nov 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/28/97

I remember Zoom. I think they always used to say to send a SASE ( self
addressed stamped envelople ) whenever you wanted them to reply to your
mail. By the way, I used to watch it religiously.

Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasnt, its that
girls should stick to girls sports like hot oil wresting, foxy boxing,
and such and such - Homer Simpson

man4allseasons

Nov 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/29/97

Keith Stephenson wrote:

> I remember Zoom. I think they always used to say to send a SASE ( self
> addressed stamped envelople ) whenever you wanted them to reply to your
> mail. By the way, I used to watch it religiously.

......"write ZOOM,Z-double O-M,box 350,Boston,Mass,02134."....

It amazes me that I can remember that address from 25 years ago,but I
can't remember what I was doing a week ago,without having to think about
it for a minute!!

M4AS

CDSHERLOCK

Nov 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/30/97

Zoom is back! The New Zoom should be debuting on a PBS station in your area
soon, if it hasn't already. Be sure to check your local listings!

SL

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

song...@aol.com (Songbuff) wrote:

>Am I crazy, or was there a PBS kids show on in the '70's called ZOOM?
>I remember their address like this...
>
>"That's ZOOM...Z-double O-M, Box 350, Boston Mass, 0-2-1-3-4...."

A few ZOOM vidcaps can be found at:

http://www.mindspring.com/~sl1az/zoom/

Keep in mind they're vidcaps from VERY OLD tapes, so don't expect a lot!

Ignatius J. Reilly

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

You are not nuts. I watched the show in the early 1970s. There was a
thread about it a long time ago on this newsgroup (about a year ago,
maybe?) and several people remember it. The address you quoted is where to
send letters to ZOOM.

We're gonna zoom-a zoom-a zoom zoom zoom
Come on give it a try
We're gonna teach you to fly - high!
Come on and zoom!
Come on and zoom zoom!
Come on and zoom!
Come on and zoom zoom!

Kent
delete pesky 'X's to email

Songbuff <song...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19971128220...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

> Am I crazy, or was there a PBS kids show on in the '70's called ZOOM?
> I remember their address like this...
>
> "That's ZOOM...Z-double O-M, Box 350, Boston Mass, 0-2-1-3-4...."

Jason LeBouef

Dec 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/10/97

OH I wish I could see old Zoom and Elec. Company again. I'd give my
first-born to see them.

Cathy Gray

Dec 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/11/97

As a newbie, I'm going to try to dabble my feet in the waters....

I too remember watching ZOOM, but does anyone remember "The Electric
Company"? Another one of those shows by CTW, the people who brought you
Sesame Street.

And...I seem to recall a show called "Jabberwocky", it has really good
British animation clips, and live action as well. It might have been
possibly only available in the Northeastern US. I saw it on Channel 5,
WCVB, out of Boston. Does anyone remember that?

smudge

Dec 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/11/97

I remember Jabberwocky. It was hosted by a man and a woman and a
troll-like puppet named "Dirty Frank". It was broadcast in the
Boston area on Channel 5 (WCVB). Unfortunately, this is about all
I remember about it.

--smudge

Cathy Gray (gra...@worldpath.net) wrote:
: As a newbie, I'm going to try to dabble my feet in the waters....

Aunt Mimo

Dec 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/12/97

<
<I too remember watching ZOOM, but does anyone remember "The Electric
<Company"? Another one of those shows by CTW, the people who brought you
<Sesame Street.
<
<And...I seem to recall a show called "Jabberwocky", it has really good
<British animation clips, and live action as well. It might have been
<possibly only available in the Northeastern US. I saw it on Channel 5,
<WCVB, out of Boston. Does anyone remember that?

They're making ZOOM again! The song and the address are the same, but
with new kids. Caught it on PBS last weekend while channel surfing.
Stopped on this show and thought, "this is kinda like the old ZOOM
show." Then when they read some poems sent in by viewers and sang the
address I thought, "Cool! They brought back ZOOM."

Mimo

The first thing to realize about parallel
universes is that they are not parallel.
--Douglas Adams
Mostly Harmless

Hob

Dec 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/13/97

>They're making ZOOM again! The song and the address are the same, but
>with new kids. Caught it on PBS last weekend while channel surfing.
>Stopped on this show and thought, "this is kinda like the old ZOOM
>show." Then when they read some poems sent in by viewers and sang the
>address I thought, "Cool! They brought back ZOOM."
>
>Mimo

I just checked the local PBS listings here and can't find it local in Arizona.
Can someone do some screen grabs please? I'd be interested to see if they kept
the sweaters, the address, the giant letters, etc.

-Hob

J L Bell

Dec 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/13/97

smudge wrote:
<<I remember Jabberwocky. It was hosted by a man and a woman and
a troll-like puppet named "Dirty Frank". It was broadcast in the
Boston area on Channel 5 (WCVB). Unfortunately, this is about
all I remember about it.>>

In one episode the troll is about to go off to France, and the human
hosts explain that people speak French there. "Why don't they speak
English like the rest of the world?" he complains.

That line has stuck with me because it's appropriate for so many
situations.

All of us who remember this show watched WCVB, so it may not have
been national.

--
WWwwW- J. L. Bell
WWW D, \ 7211...@compuserve.com

Dave Block

Dec 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/14/97

My sister and I used to watch Zoom, I loved that show. When they
sang, "The Cat Came Back", it really gave me the creeps. It was
scary--I was about 6 or 7 at the time,

The cat came back
the very next day
the cat came back
in a special way (?)
the cat came back
he just couldnt stay away
just couldnt stay away

Pretty creepy huh?

And even though I was very young, I remember liking some of the girls
on the show, kind of like crushes. I remember they were really
pretty. In a way I still get kind of those feelings when I see a
pretty girl today.

One day, back in 1973 or so, I remember seeing one of my friends, one
of the girls next door, it was a nice summer day, and I remember one
of them saying, "Dave, did you see the new Zoomers?" because they had
a new group.

We also referred to the blue and red striped shirts as "Zoom
shirts"...I think they were rugby shirts or something?

Dave Block

J L Bell

Dec 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/20/97

Hob wrote:
<<I just checked the local PBS listings here and can't find it
local in Arizona.
Can someone do some screen grabs please? I'd be interested to
see if they kept
the sweaters, the address, the giant letters, etc.>>

The new ZOOM pilot is being aired on an irregular
schedule on different PBS stations, with production
of 40 new shows aimed for fall. I saw the pilot on
tape several months ago. The big ZOOM letters set is
back (in modified form), and Box 350 in Allston (the
Boston village with the zip 02134) has been rented.
But the cast of that pilot wore their own striped
shirts, jeans, and sneakers; I read that
the producers didn't want a regimented look.

Billy0118

Dec 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/21/97

And who watched Zoom and didn't try to speak "Ubby Dubby" language? "Huh-by
fru-bynds" was "hi friends" if I recall...

me

Dec 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/21/97

Billy0118 wrote:

> And who watched Zoom and didn't try to speak "Ubby Dubby" language? "Huh-by
> fru-bynds" was "hi friends" if I recall...

Thibus ibus howba youba talkba inba ubububy dubububy labunguabuage.

Dabumn! thabut's harbud toba typeba.

LizzieZ

Jan 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/2/98

Yes, it's true, PBS is bringing back Zoom, and you can find out about it on the
website through www.pbs.org. But specifically, head over to

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/zoom/tv/zoomnostalgia.html

and you can download the Zoom theme song! (Then surf around the site and see
what else they've got--new and old!)