Remember the AMC PACER?

1 view

YENDOR 20

Sep 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/21/98

My first car was a 1975 green/blue pacer.My second car was a brown 1979 pacer
wagon.I paid under $500 for both.It worked out great because I blew the engine
in the 75 and used it for parts.Anyone else have one of these gem of a car?

TVC

Sep 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/21/98
I still have my 1976 Pacer, whose name is Joel Judy, whom I bought in August
of '76. He/she is deep blue... Joel is currently off the road, and people
come to the door when they see him way back in the driveway, asking to buy
it so they can take off the parts (ouch) and wreck him/her.
His floorboards started to rot, and he has a lot of rust. My dream is to
get enough disposable $$ to fix Joel up and drive him again.

Allan Koeberlin

Sep 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/21/98
No, but my first car was a 1963 Rambler Station Wagon.. god, that was one
tough little car.

Eric J

Sep 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/22/98
YENDOR 20 wrote:

> My first car was a 1975 green/blue pacer.My second car was a brown 1979 pacer
> wagon.I paid under $500 for both.It worked out great because I blew the engine
> in the 75 and used it for parts.Anyone else have one of these gem of a car?

I was never of the good fortune to have owned either the Pacer or its
fraternal-twin sister in rustbucketness, the Gremlin. (Whew!)

Eric J.

EJ

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98
to TVC
TVC wrote:

> I still have my 1976 Pacer, whose name is Joel Judy, whom I bought in August
> of '76. He/she is deep blue...
> His floorboards started to rot, and he has a lot of rust. My dream is to
> get enough disposable $$ to fix Joel up and drive him again.

You may want to visit this Pacer Club web site, if you haven't already.

http://www.classicar.com/clubs/pacer/pacer.htm

I don't have a Pacer, but the web site is something that I ran across
not too long ago.

EJ

YENDOR 20

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98

<<I was never of the good fortune to have owned either the Pacer or its
fraternal-twin sister in rustbucketness, the Gremlin. (Whew!)

Eric J.>>
You missed out.Pacers were great for drive in movies.

F Gene Dempsey

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98
One of my college roomates had an Gremlin. Once when he was cross a RR
track the rear hatch opened up and smashed the glass.

I remember my friend's older brother's girlfriend having a AMC Hornet and
letting me drive it before I got my licenses.

I always liked the AMC Javelin.

--
Gene Dempsey ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Pleasure - gdem...@bc.seflin.org / \ ^ / \ / \ / \ / \

Eric J

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98

I was having too much fun in my rusted-out '63 Impala. Fill-'er up
with oil & check the gas! I had so many flat tires with that car,
the lugs were about worn out when I got rid of it.

I pondered if the right way of selling the car would have been:
"4 Used Tires With Rims, $100. Free Car With Purchase." :-)

Still remember those beach towel seat covers. <g>

Eric J.

pinb...@yahoo.com

Sep 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/24/98

> Fill-'er up
> with oil & check the gas!

Step on the pedal and let everybody pass!

Mine was a '70 Buick Skylark Custom (the custom was just like the GS but had
a smaller 8 and 2 barrel carb). It had that big chrome console shift and
that chrome back bumper that was like 2 feet wide. The auto club was glad
when I finally got rid of that car... all the money they lost on towing it!

Whatever happened to chrome, anyway? Today's cars (and bicycles, for that
matter) have NO chrome anywhere! I miss it.

DoubleK

Sep 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/24/98
I drove a 1972 AMC Matador!! Unfortunately, that was an era where AMC made
really ugly cars that never died. Kind of reminded me of the REALLY UGLY
Rambler station wagon my mom had. My older sister cried as it got closer to
her 16th birthday because she was going to have to drive that.

VW67Fweems

Sep 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/24/98

Eric wrote:

><HTML><PRE>Subject: What was the rustbucket YOU drove to High School? (Was:
>Re: Remember the AMC PACER?)
>From: Eric J <je...@kdsi.net>
>Date: Wed, Sep 23, 1998 23:00 EDT

>YENDOR 20 wrote:
>>
>> <<I was never of the good fortune to have owned either the Pacer or its
>> fraternal-twin sister in rustbucketness, the Gremlin. (Whew!)
>>
>> Eric J.>>
>> You missed out.Pacers were great for drive in movies.
>
>I was having too much fun in my rusted-out '63 Impala. Fill-'er up
>with oil & check the gas! I had so many flat tires with that car,
>the lugs were about worn out when I got rid of it.
>
>I pondered if the right way of selling the car would have been:
>"4 Used Tires With Rims, $100. Free Car With Purchase." :-)
>
>Still remember those beach towel seat covers. <g>
>
>Eric J.

I drove my parents 68 Rambler and 76 Dodge Aspen until I got my own car, a 73
VW Beetle Senior year. I still drive a 67 Beetle today. Any other VW freaks
out there

Bill B
67 Beetle

Thomas A. Novey

Sep 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/25/98

pinb...@yahoo.com wrote in article <6udju0$7mk$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

> > Fill-'er up
> > with oil & check the gas!

In my case, it was fill-'er up with transmission fluid..........had a 1970
(71?) red GMC 2WD pickup truck with a 350 V8 and a Rochester
4 bbl. carb. under the hood..........used to bury the speedometer on a
regular basis driving the country roads near where I grew up.
Fastest damn pickup truck I've ever driven; lucky I wasn't killed in it!
Had a nice Clarion cassette player with amp and under-dash speakers; still
have some of the tapes. Consumed more beer and had more fun in it for 2
years than I've had in the last 20.

ze...@magicnet.net

Sep 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/25/98
In article <3609B5...@kdsi.net>, Eric J <je...@kdsi.net> wrote:

> YENDOR 20 wrote:
> >
> > <<I was never of the good fortune to have owned either the Pacer or its
> > fraternal-twin sister in rustbucketness, the Gremlin. (Whew!)
> >
> > Eric J.>>
> > You missed out.Pacers were great for drive in movies.
>
> I was having too much fun in my rusted-out '63 Impala. Fill-'er up
> with oil & check the gas! I had so many flat tires with that car,
> the lugs were about worn out when I got rid of it.
>
> I pondered if the right way of selling the car would have been:
> "4 Used Tires With Rims, $100. Free Car With Purchase." :-)
>
> Still remember those beach towel seat covers. <g>
>
> Eric J.

Students were not allowed to drive to school at my high school. Bummer! We
had only enough parking for faculty, and we had 1400 in each class. No
room!

--
If only we knew that money is only an idea. There is no scarcity or loss connected to it. Nothing cost anything.

JET

Sep 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/25/98
In article <19980924143053...@ng59.aol.com>,
vw67f...@aol.com (VW67Fweems) wrote:

|I drove my parents 68 Rambler and 76 Dodge Aspen until I got my own car, a 73
|VW Beetle Senior year. I still drive a 67 Beetle today. Any other VW freaks
|out there
|
|Bill B
|67 Beetle

I drove a 64 Chevy pickup for about a year and then my brother sold me his
68 Triumph for $100. I had to rebuild the engine and transmission. It was
a pretty fun car to drive but very high maintenance.

--
Regards;
JET

The Kizis Family

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
Is the pace the car that looked like all windows? I remember the name but
can't quite recall what it looked like. I also remember the "Gremlin" ,
did't that come out about the same time as the pacer?
Robin K 58

Allan Koeberlin wrote in message <6u8ftj$gp8$1...@news.gate.net>...

>No, but my first car was a 1963 Rambler Station Wagon.. god, that was one
>tough little car.
>YENDOR 20 wrote in message
<19980920221917...@ng-fb1.aol.com>...

Steve Ellis

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
YENDOR 20 wrote:

> <<I was never of the good fortune to have owned either the Pacer or its
> fraternal-twin sister in rustbucketness, the Gremlin. (Whew!)
>
> Eric J.>>
> You missed out.Pacers were great for drive in movies.

When we were going to the drive-in back in '73, the last thing we wanted
was a car that was all windows - I knew couples who said that they'd
been to "American Graffiti" 17 times and never saw more than the first
20 minutes.

Steve

ze...@magicnet.net

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98

> When we were going to the drive-in back in '73, the last thing we wanted
> was a car that was all windows - I knew couples who said that they'd
> been to "American Graffiti" 17 times and never saw more than the first
> 20 minutes.
>
> Steve

I guess they just ate popcorn and forgot to watch the movie.

Endymion9

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98

My cousin who is 5 years older than me had a 71 Gremlin for his first car. We
loved tooling around in that thing.

I was trying to remember. I know AMC had the Jeep (is that where they got
their start, building Jeeps for the military?) and the Gremlin and the Pacer
but i couldn't remember any other AMC models?

Were there others? When Chysler bought them out, did they only take Jeep and
discard everything else or did they incorporate AMC ideas into their models?
Did Gremlin and Pacer live on in other cars?

Dennis/Endy
Happiness is reading a good scifi book :)

Buffy1335

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98

>From: endy...@aol.com

>but i couldn't remember any other AMC models?
>
>Were there others?

I remember the amc javelin (sp?) it was their sports/muscle car.

~~buffy...sneaking out from the 80's newsgroup for a bit

nightliter

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
My fave AMC was the AMX, a major muscle car.
AMC had a few other models, Javelin, and I believe Hornet.
The AMX was all engine, but has a fantastic body style with a great logo.

I think their best success was the Javelin.

I give AMC credit, they produced simple cars with quirky body-styles.

Endymion9 wrote in message <19980930011517...@ng-fc2.aol.com>...

>I was trying to remember. I know AMC had the Jeep (is that where they got
>their start, building Jeeps for the military?) and the Gremlin and the
Pacer

>but i couldn't remember any other AMC models?

DblLatte0

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98

My first car was a '70 Buick Electra white with
rust spots. It was a big car so I had difficulty
parallel parking. The power windows
stopped working, so I had to open my car door
to pay the turnpike toll. When I junked the
car, I took off the Electra 225 plate from the
car. I still have it today.

Nicki

Allan Koeberlin

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98
How about the Rebel Machine or the SC/Hurst Rambler?
Allan Koeberlin II
howl...@theglobe.com
AOL Instant Messenger: howlinowl
ICQ: 10417147
Visit my Web Presence!:
http://members.theglobe.com/howlinowl/

Dogbert

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98

1973 amc gremlin. 3 speed manual transmission. never could get it
over 65 mph.

i work for the phone company. i have a lot experience with semantics, so dont try to lure me into some maze of circular logic.
phone dude from seinfeld.
Dogbert

Paul White

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98
1962 Cheverlot BelAir Station Wagon. It was great for
backing into the drive-in movies, and letting the tail gate down.

YENDOR 20

Oct 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/3/98

When we were going to the drive-in back in '73, the last thing we wanted
> was a car that was all windows - I knew couples who said that they'd
> been to "American Graffiti" 17 times and never saw more than the first
> 20 minutes.
>
> Steve

<<I guess they just ate popcorn and forgot to watch the movie.>>

Guess you never walked by my car huh?haha

Paul White

Oct 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/4/98
Mike Myers drove a Pacer in "Waynes World".

-----------------

Endymion9 wrote in message <19980930011517...@ng-fc2.aol.com>...

>My cousin who is 5 years older than me had a 71 Gremlin for his first car.
We
>loved tooling around in that thing.

naci...@intelligencia.com

Oct 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/4/98
I guess I had to stand out in a crowd with my car that I drove from
'72 to 75, when I joined the Marines. I drove a 1930 Model A Ford
Town Sedan, totally original. My father and I, from '68 to '71,
rebuilt it practically from scratch. I was the coolest kid in school,
and my parents never worried about me speeding. A real bonus was the
spacious back seat. Used it quite a bit. ;)