Introductions

Kelly

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
Since there seems to so many new people here maybe we should take a moment
out to introduce ourselves. I will get the ball rolling!

I am Kelly. Born in 1966. I am a corporate travel agent. I live in Queens,
and work in Manhattan.

I grew up on Long Island during the 70's. The 70's is the decade of my
childhood. I am blessed (and in a way cursed) to have grown up in the
suburbs during those wonderful days of polyester. I still hold my mother
accountable for the way she dressed me. (sorry Mom, but NOBODY looks good
in "rust" colored clothing).

I enjoy this group. I have been around on and off since February. It is a
wonderful place to reminisce about the "good ole days". I love when someone
brings up something that I thought I was the only one who remembered it. It
is fun to share the memories with others. Also this has to be the best group
of people I have found on line. Except for a few random troll, all of you
new comers will find this a great place to be.

Have fun!

Kelly
.

Dixon Hayes

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
Pleased to meet you, Kelly. My name is Dixon. I live in Gadsden, Alabama, and
I work as a photographer and producer in the newsroom of the Birmingham Fox
affiliate.

I was born 1/14/64. When I was just three weeks old my mom held me in her arms
while she watched the Beatles make their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan
Show. They've been recurring constants in my life ever since.

Yes, I've got some goofy clothing preserved forever in snapshots,not to mention
goofy wallpaper, but also some cool stuff. Like, a 1978 picture of me washing
the dog, while I'm wearing a Grease t-shirt with John Travolta on it.
Or the Farrah "red swimsuit" poster that smiled upon me during my formative
years.

I lived some of the happier and saddest moments of my life during the
decade--things like females breaking my heart; Governor Wallace being shot (I
was too young to understand why, like anyone ever really did); my parents'
divorce; the Watergate mess--and my parents trying to explain it without making
authority figures look bad; the kid across the street dying in a motorcycle
wreck--my first real taste of death; puberty, first love, my first real
heartbreak (she threw me over for a lifeguard); and the death of John Lennon.

The 70's were a hell of a time. Thank you all for being there with me.

Dixon
"If there's anything that upsets me it's having people say I'm sensitive!"
--Barney Fife

Oil Impressionist

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
Wow, I hate following such a great act! It's a pleasure to meet you,
Kelly and Dixon.

I like to be known as Oil Impressionist in here and the arts fartsy
groups. My real name is Dawna, and I'm married to "Classic Rocker,"
a.k.a. Larry, who shows up here about once a week. I am an artist (in
case you couldn't tell) and have been enjoying my first exhibit this
Sept/Oct! (Sorry, but I'm overly proud of myself!) Ahem. Larry and I
write fiction novels together and have a web site together, in between
taking care of our 26 year old multi-handicapped son whom we adopted
when he was 9. Both Larry and I LOVE music.

I was born in '61 whereas Classic Rocker . . . well, I'll leave it up
to the "old" disc jockey to tell you that.

As I said in a past post, there is no other NG I frequent as much as
this place. Even when I've made mistakes, learning how this Usenet
thing works, you all have been very patient (at least nice enough to
ignore my stupidity!) and have made me very happy when you've replied
to my posts. It certainly is a lift to my day to know you all are
here. You are my after dinner or before bed indulgence, and I hope I
add a little something to make you all smile once in a while.

While we're here discussing memories from the 70s, we are making new
memories with each other. I can't think of a better group of people to
do that with.

DLN Oil Impressionist

Still rockin' - with Classic Rocker - after twenty years!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Oil Impressionist

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99

recsec

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
Well howdy there. I too am rather new in here & am glad for the opportunity
to introduce myself. I have made a few post in here but felt like I was
trespassing since no one knew me. My Name is Billy. I was bred & reared in
Houston Texas & work at the Port of Houston. I prefer to be called recsec.
It is short for recording secretary which is a position I currently hold. I
was born in the latter portion of 1961. I grew up in the 70's and was really
glad to find this ng after having been told what a newsgroup is & what it is
all about. I haven't been on-line for to long so I'm still learning. I do
enjoy listening to the rock from then & also the country music as that was
what was played in our house. My all time favorite group is what we call the
home team. ZZ Top. But I also like the other major groups. I think that I
will enjoy my time in this group & am looking forward to reliving my youth.
recsec.

Bob the Baker

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
Okay....so it's my turn? My name says Bob the Baker on my postings, but I
did that because of some mean, psycho man who was visiting this NG for
awhile and he scared the hell out of me. Call me Nadine....I was born in
Texas in 1967 so it's nice to see others from the South in this NG. :-)
Currently, I live in Colorado, but I am still a southerner at heart. I
have a 4 year old daughter and work in my home on the internet as a
"database indexer." Figure that one out. ha ha Even though I was younger
in the 70s, I have a very vivid memory of things......although my parents
DIDN'T try to explain Watergate and I thought it was some kind of political
argument over Water Rights. Truly. I love visiting this newsgroup,
although I haven't been able to as much recently. (I only frequent one
other NG and that is alt.elvis.king. I am a closet Elvis fan and just
visited Graceland for the first time last Saturday!) I'm also a oldies
music trivia fiend and write poetry in my spare time.....just can't free
myself of the English background I gained in college. And, oh
yes....college football. Just picked up that hobby a few years ago (but
have to be a closet Huskers fan there as well.....)

It's nice meeting everyone here!!!!! I love what a friendly group this is
and it's comforting to reminisce about the "good old days." At least, what
was "good" to us.......

Nadine

Still wishing I had my "Sock it to Me" sweatshirt.......

Kelly <spid...@email.msn.com> wrote in message

Sandyfour

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
Hi recsec!!! and welcome to the group!! It's always nice to meet new people who
are interested in remembering the 70s fondly. I was born the year before you so
we should have some fun things to reminise about! It's a really great group
here (I found it last winter, I think it was) with some of the best people I've
met on-line....(just ignore the posts that are mean and nasty...you'll figure
it out after awhile). So again WELCOME!!

Sandy : )

></PRE></HTML>

step...@timken.com

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
Ok, my turn...(Jeez...I feel like I'm in front of the class about to give the
'What-I-did-over-summer-vacation-speech')

Well, my name is Tom, and I was born in Jan of '63. I live in a small town in
Ohio and work for a major manufacturer of bearings and steel. (Read the header.
.. :)

Anyway, I've been hanging around the newsgroups for about two years now, with
this one being my favorite. (rec.woodworking is a *very* close second...) I try
to avoid falling into the 'Me Too' posting trap, and although I try to post
relevant messages, I'm not always successful. :) I'm also really terrible when
it comes to talking about myself. Perhaps you've noticed... ;) So I think that
I'll stop rambling on before I begin to look like a fool...

Oops! Too late... :)

----
Tom

Neha333

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
I'm Neha, born 10/2/73. Believe it or not, I remember 75 and onward pretty
vividly! My favorite type of music is classic rock but I have to admit that
disco was not pure evil :)

Meet Neha - http://members.aol.com/neha333/

Sandyfour

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
It's nice to know you all, Kelly, Dixon, Oil Impressionist (didn't know you
were married to Classic Rocker, how neat!!) and Nadine, recsec and Tom (and
by-the-way, you did a great job on your intro : ) )....I am Sandyfour whose
real name is....SANDY! (bet none of you guessed THAT one! lol) I was born
2-27-60, so I'm older than all of you so far (sob, sob). But that's ok....I'm
very imature at heart! Anyway....I was born in Camb. MA, a stones throw away
from Boston. I moved to a suburb of Boston (about 30 miles away) 12 years ago,
when my parents sold my childhood home ( It was a duplex and I was living in
the next-door apartment with my husband) and we had to buy a house. I live
here with my husband our 8 yr old son, three kitties (my other babies) and 2
hermit crabs. I'm a stay at home Mom and enjoy gardening, knitting, animals,
and old houses ( I live in a ranch but really, really, want an old house!)
I love the songs most people hate from the 70s ( Shannon, Beach Baby etc...)
and refer to them as Lost 45s, just so you'll know. I love a lot of the
Classics too, such as Schools Out, Sweet Home Alabama, and any thing by BTO.
And I also love chatting with you guys!!
Did I over-do it??? Was that WAY too much information???? sorry......

Sandyd : )

Rachel Cree

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
My name is who I am on here... :) born in 1971 in Ontario Canada. I grew up
in London then lived in Toronto for a bit and now back in London going to
University. I think I joined this group early this year and its the
best...welcome to all new people!

Bob the Baker <sister_go...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Joy910

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
My goodness Sandy, I think we are the same person!! Except my kids are 10 and
3 and are girls. I too was born in Reading, Mass. I wish I still lived there.
Its a magical place. Sounds silly I know. Most of my family still lives
there. I live in NJ now. Other than that your post sounds like we are
identical!! Right down to your "fur babies" ( thats what I call my cat.)

Joy

missjane

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
If I say I was born in 1958, am I allowed to stay? I'm not a child of the '70s,
but I sure came of age then. Junior high, high school and college pretty much
ate up that whole decade for me.
And "That '70s Show" is my life, except I was class of '76. Still have all my
vinyl and some 8-tracks, and the equipment to play them on. 'Course a lot of
them are '60s.

jane

Tricia or Howard Bray

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
Well... I briefly introduced myself in a different thread, but I'll tell a
little more here (In case anyone cares!!).

My name is Tricia, born July 5, 1973. I have seen a couple of
born-in-the-70s kids so far, but seems like most everyone else is older...
But like someone else said, I remember lots about the 70s, even though I was
young.

I worshipped Barry Manilow back when it was a little cooler to like him...
I also really liked BJ Thomas and Olivia Newton John and Jim Croce (even
though he died the year I was born, his music was still popular when I was
young). I also feel a little more connected to "older" people because my
dad played in a band when he was in his early 20s, so I was really in tune
with the music of the 60s and 70s.

Funny thing is -- my husband is just 2 years younger than I am (born in
1975), but he doesn't remember most of the things I remember from being a
kid. You wouldn't think there would be much difference between being born
in those two years, but sometimes he makes me feel SOOOOO old!!! So it's
nice to see this group, where I can relate to people!

Anyway, we live in Kentucky, and we have a 2 year old son, who also digs
60-70s music -- he can really break it down to "Brick House", "YMCA", etc.
I am a stay at home mommy. I graduated from Asbury College in 1995 with a
degree in Journalism, but am not currently "doing anything" with my degree.
(Shame on me).

I look forward to dropping in on this group occasionally!
Tricia

Joy910

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
>If I say I was born in 1958, am I allowed to stay? I'm not a child of the
>'70s,

If you have any memories of the seventies then you belong here!! ;) I myself
joined earlier this year,, (I forgot to mention that in my introduction) and I
love this group and everyone who posts is so fun and funny!! Kudos to us all!!

Joy

Tim

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
I was born in '66. I should have been born in '55 (my brother's birthday) because
I've always liked the music and lifestyle of the 60's and 70's. My favorite music
starts with the British invasion and goes right through the 70's (not counting
disco). I graduated in '84, and I hated the "new wave" music that was big at the
time. It was worse than a root canal...it was an awful time to be in high school
from a rocker's point of view.

I love the 70's show too. In fact, I found this group by doing a search on Deja
News about the show. It was my life in Jr. High, and even into high school since I
pretty much listened to the old music and had most of the same interests as the
people on the show.

Tim

missjane wrote:

> If I say I was born in 1958, am I allowed to stay? I'm not a child of the '70s,

Chandra DeMaria

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99

Hi all, I'm more of a lurker here, I haven't posted before, but I have loved
browsing and reminiscing.

I'm Chandra and I was born in 1969, actually the day before man landed on the
moon. Grew up in Memphis, TN, watching wonderful television in the 70's (Starsky
and Hutch, Kojak, Dukes of Hazard, Hong Kong Phooey, etc.) it's almost painful
sometimes to see how far downhill television has gone since the good old days. I
vividly remember Starsky and Hutch because my mother had a blue pinto with a white
swoosh on the side that reminded me of the Starsky and Hutch car. I grew up
watching Sesame Street, Zoom and 3-2-1 Contact and don't think I could have had a
better start in life and while I am lamenting turning 30 and am slightly envious
that things are going to come about in the next century that i won't ever get to
see or experience, i would not give up having been able to play in the front yard
unsupervised without fear, or walking down to the corner store with a 1.00 in my
pocket and coming away with a bag of chips, a soda, a pack of now and laters and
lemon heads and a chick-o-stick, for all the advancements to come. I live in New
Hampshire, with my husband grinch, who really remembers the 70's, since he was born
in 1962.

dms...@hal-pc.org

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
Greetomgs all,

My name is Dan and I was born July 14, 1966. I have been lurking on this
newsgroup off and on for about a year and have really enjoyed it. It has
brought back a lot of interesting memories.
I was grew up (so to speak ;)) in Fort Worth and now live in Houston, Texas,
where I am currently a Librarian. My favorite CD is the Beach Boys and I still
can sing most of the theme to Land of the Lost and HR Puffnstuff.

Also my first ever album was an 8-track of Pink Floyd and my brother got the
soundtrack to Star Wars. They may still be in my parents attic. And one of my
first real memories was one of the times someone took a shot at Ford.

Bob the Baker

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
You think the Pink Floyd ng is a nasty bunch? You should check out
alt.elvis.king. That is a nasty bunch....and full of Looney Tunes!!!!!
(Not me, of course! LOL)

Nadine

<al...@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:7u0tcl$sl3$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...
> well, you all see the name "aleen" up there, that is actually my middle
> name, my first name is Jolie (but I'm called "Jo"), and i started
> posting here in about january of 1999. i was born on march 14, 1975,
> but have many vivid memories of the 70s, particularly of the music (my
> mother was always playing the radio) and of teen idols like shaun
> cassidy and leif garrett(my sister is much older than i am--she'd
> appreciate me saying that, hehe--and i was pretty much forced to either
> be cool or get the crap beaten out of me!), also quite a bit of my
> knowledge comes from reading about 70s pop culture (which i have been
> doing since i was about 10 or so). one of my friends is a pop culture
> historian, so we have great fun talking and learning from one another!
> i live in canada and recently took a leave from my job as a children's
> librarian (been there about 7 years now) to return to school full-time
> to study to be a teacher, hopefully kindergarten! i am not married (i
> was proposed to once by an ex-boyfriend, but turned him down), but i
> have a boyfriend, robert, who i have been with for 2 years now, no kids
> though, and no pets. most of my posts in this newsgroup are about
> music (but not always), particularly cheese-rock or one-hit wonders. i
> have a very off-the-wall sense of humour that comes out once someone
> gets to know me well, and oh yeah, did i mention i'm long-winded??
> LOL! but seriously, i welcome any newcomers to this group, this has to
> be the kindest, most helpful newsgroup in existence (i know this
> because i thought i would broaden my horizons and join some other
> newsgroups like alt.music.pink-floyd--what a nasty bunch--and every
> time i do this, i'm comparing them to this group)
> well i'm looking forward to chatting with y'all!!!
> have a great day guys!

Raphael

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
My turn! My turn!!!

Ok...first off, gupa to everyone (heh, "Gupa" is my little way of confusing
the heck outta people, also my way of saying hello). I'm Erin, born Mar
26/64...just missed the Beatles on Sullivan. Yeah, I'm a Beatles' fan (86
albums and counting!). Born, raised, etc in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, I work
in Halifax (which is just across the harbour, kinda like Minneapolis/St.
Paul or Bangor/Brewer). I'm a property accountant, have been since 87.

Hmm...as you can probably tell, when I decide to become a fan of something,
I REALLY become a fan (I mean, does one REALLY need "I Am The Walrus" over
12 times??). That would explain the other name I go by,
elsewhere...Raphael. Cowabunga, yeah, I'm a Ninja Turtles fan (not just the
cartoon, tho...got all of the comics, many toys, etc). Also a huge fan of
the Aristocats and Kids from C.A.P.E.R. (there...got some 70's stuff in
there <G>). Still doing the 'single and loving it' bit, too.

Not sure how long I've been hanging out here...at least 6 months. Plan to
be around for a very, very long time (said with a Swedish accent, just like
Death (aka "Dadoo")).

Oh yeah, did I mention that I've got a pretty good memory for useless
information and that there are times that little bits and pieces of said
useless information will come flowing forth before I can stop it? Heh, did
I also mention that I tend to do longer posts when I'm stalling and trying
to avoid having to go do some work? <G>.

Erin
http://home.nstn.ca/~istr2198/Index.htm

TrueToBrad

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
Geez, I get the feeling I'm the oldest in here, born in 57 (the year of the
chevy, hee hee). I really enjoy the music from the 70's, but I have to say I
feel a little old when I hear all these songs now playing on the "oldie
stations" :(
It is such a kick being in this ng - definately the friendliest I have ever
seen, and for the most part, troll free.
This is a great way to start and end my day
Thanks everyone for being so nice and welcoming!

nos...@here.net

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
On 12 Oct 1999 at 21:08:59 GMT,

sand...@aol.com (Sandyfour) wrote:

> ....I am Sandyfour whose
> real name is....SANDY! (bet none of you guessed THAT
> one! lol) I was born 2-27-60, so I'm older than all of you
> so far (sob, sob).

I'm feeling ancient about now. I was born 9-3-1953. the 1970s
were the period in which I grew up. I graduated from high school
in 1971 and from college in 1975 (B.A., philosophy, Indiana Univ.)
and from the police academy in 1973. Made my first arrest in 1973.
Almost got married in the late 1970s, and I moved to Washington, D.C.
in 1976.

It was a great time. Politics were interesting. We didn't have the
computers that we have now but the Internet was kinda getting
started in the form of ARPAnet. I had my first account in 1977
(I was mcja...@mitre.org; Mitre was a non-profit research
organization that had one of the nodes of the net).

Currently I'm a dispatcher with the Reedy Creek Fire Department
at Walt Disney World, Florida. I've been monitoring this group for
about 4 years or so (I think).

-jackie

Jackie McElroy
Kissimme, Florida USA
mailto:mcja...@kua.net

http://www.newsfeeds.com The Largest Usenet Servers in the World!
------== Over 73,000 Newsgroups - Including Dedicated Binaries Servers ==-----

al...@my-deja.com

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99

Don Zeigler

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
On Mon, 11 Oct 1999 22:22:01 -0400, Kelly wrote:
>Since there seems to so many new people here maybe we should take a moment
>out to introduce ourselves. I will get the ball rolling!

[snip]

My turn: 41, Born in Elizabeth City, NC, and a bona-fide 70s leftover.
My hair is short now and the beard is gone, but I've still got that
fire in the belly! :-)

I still listen to the bands I grew up with, leaning toward hard rock
and early metal. Grand Funk Railroad is the best rock band America ever
produced (grin). I also play guitar, bass and keyboards.

My current field is computer graphics design, and I work for the
Thomson News Corporation (www.thomnews.com).

Oil Impressionist

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
In article <G9TM3.115$F3.188...@news.frii.net>,

"Bob the Baker" <sister_go...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> You think the Pink Floyd ng is a nasty bunch? You should check out
> alt.elvis.king. That is a nasty bunch....and full of Looney
Tunes!!!!!
> (Not me, of course! LOL)
>
> Nadine

I've posted elsewhere (as Bsquierfan) in groups like . . . queen and
led zeppelin. It seems that the harder they rock, the meaner they are,
and the further away I want to be! Some were very nice, but this is
the greatest place to be.

DLN Oil Impressionst . . . who is having a problem with her modem and
keeps posting twice - sorry folks!! 8-)

> <al...@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:7u0tcl$sl3
$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...

Still rockin' - with Classic Rocker - after twenty years!

Kelly

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
That is funny. Up until the end of March I was the "Travel Goddess" for the
Fox News Channel (among other things). I worked with some of the affiliates.
I remember Washington, Memphis, New York (of course), and a few others. I am
not sure if we did Birmingham. Did you happen to book your travel through
the NYC travel office?

Just wondering..

Kelly

Dixon Hayes <dixon...@aol.comspamless> wrote in message

Classic Rocker

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99

Don Zeigler <donze...@bigfoot.com.invalid> wrote in message

Well . . . I guess I'm about to turn each of you who believed yourself to
be our group's oldest member into a happy camper. I was born in August
1950. I remember the Beatles first American TV appearance. I grew up in
the Detroit area listening to the Fab 4, the DC 5, Herman's Hermits, The
Beach Boys, Jan and Dean, and the original Motown sound. By the time 1970
rolled around, my kidhood was just about finished. Of course there were a
few kid-like decisions reached in college, but they belong in some other
post . . . or maybe nowhere at all.

At any rate, during the seventies, I was a DJ, playing the music most of you
grew up with. I was one of the guys who sometimes made your day by playing
your telephoned requests. Yeah, and I was also one of the guys who
sometimes made you mad when refusing to play Saturday Night by the Bay City
Rollers, just because it was played a half hour ago.

Much of what this NG discusses is related to music, and the songs of the 60s
and 70s are still a huge part of my life, despite the fact that I no longer
play them for a living. The other reason I hang out here has to do with the
great people who post in this group. It's a fantastic place for Dawna, (Oil
Impressionist) and me to finish up the day.

As Dawna mentioned in an earlier post, we're married and live in AZ, where
we write fiction together, thus allowing me to openly admit that I love the
lady who sits across the desk from me. When I'm not writing, I enjoy doing
my part to develop our web site.

Okay, I guess I'm done for now. Next introduction?

Larry

The Classic Rocker

(The DJ formerly known as Larry Allen.)

Gail Warnings

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
missjane wrote in message <19991012174443...@ng-cg1.aol.com>...

>If I say I was born in 1958, am I allowed to stay? I'm not a child of the
'70s,
>but I sure came of age then. Junior high, high school and college pretty
much
>ate up that whole decade for me.

Same for me! I was born in that year too, and have memories of
wearing REALLY hideous clothes in Jr. High. I had midi skirts and maxi
skirts, hip hugger jeans with huge flares, goofy hippy things, like a band
around my hair, which of course was parted in the middle.

>And "That '70s Show" is my life, except I was class of '76. Still have all
my
>vinyl and some 8-tracks, and the equipment to play them on. 'Course a lot
of
>them are '60s.

I was class of '76 too (Remember the bicentennial?), but I don't
have 8-tracks any more, but there's enough vinyl in my basement to make up
for it. I LOVE "That 70's Show" too! I think it's great, and it's too bad
some people just don't get it.

My name is Gail, and I live in Upstate New York (Rochester-- home of
Kodak to be specific). I work as a legal secretary and have a part time job
taking death notices at the local paper so I can pay for private school for
my kids, who are 12 (a girl, Corinne) and 8 (a boy, Alex) and for my Saturn.

I would rather spend time reading newsgroups than cleaning my house,
and it shows, but this weekend I don't have to work, so I'm going to do my
bet to get this place in shape. I have a rather mediocre existence compared
to some of you, but that's my life.

BTW, congrats to you Oil Impressionist. My son is very artistically
inclined, and I hope he is as successful with his art as you are!

Gail Warnings

Sandyfour

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
> Yeah, and I was also one of the guys who
>sometimes made you mad when refusing to play Saturday Night by the Bay City
>Rollers, just because it was played a half hour ago.

THAT WAS YOU!!!! 8- O .....lol

Sandyfour

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
></PRE></HTML>

My soul sister!!!!!! : ) ....(ya know...like soul mate??? not soul
train....lol)

step...@timken.com

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
Gotta add my nomination for nasty group... soc.penpals...

----
Tom

In article <G9TM3.115$F3.188...@news.frii.net>

Don Zeigler

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
On Wed, 13 Oct 1999 06:32:32 -0400, Gail Warnings wrote:

> Same for me! I was born in that year too, and have memories of
>wearing REALLY hideous clothes in Jr. High. I had midi skirts and maxi
>skirts, hip hugger jeans with huge flares, goofy hippy things, like a band
>around my hair, which of course was parted in the middle.

But they weren't goofy at the time, remember? :-) I had the huge flared
jeans (guy wore 'em too) and a closet full of platforms. To me, Don
Brewer of Grand Funk was the coolest-looking rock musician, so for a
while I had my hair done in a HUGE afro just like his. The big hair,
plus the 4" heels, really attracted attention at times, which was of
course exactly what I was after....

Rebecca

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99

This is really neat, getting to know you all (some of you for the second time
as I think we've done this once before). It's hard to tell what my true name
is as it's Rebecca in the headers, and I always sign with Becky. Either way,
it's me... I've got one of those identity complexes, sort of like John
Cougar... no wait, John Cougar Mellencamp... no, it's John Mellencamp.
Whatever his is, you can call me by either of mine. lol I was born July 22,
1968 in San Mateo, CA, but have lived in and around the
Houston/Austin/Galveston, TX areas since I was 9 (I see there are a couple of
other H-towners here... howdy!). Most of my _young_ childhood years were spent
in Cali, watching Electric Company, Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers, Zoom,
Schoolhouse Rock, Land of the Lost, The Bugaloos (my husband has no idea who
they were lol)... all the good stuff which I attribute to my early love of
reading, writing and imagination. When we moved to Houston, the show "Alice"
came out, so of course I used the phrase "kiss my grits" a lot... how
embarrassing! I never heard any true Texan use that phrase! And when we were
watching "Quincy", I wanted him to be my doctor... he had such a friendly
manner, I guess. It was only when I got older that I realized he was a
_coroner_ and that I probably wouldn't want to be one of his patients cause I'd
have to be _dead_ first! LOL Even though I listened to much '80s music in
jr. high and high school, my favorite music came out of the '70s, classic rock,
the cheesy stuff, and of course disco... hey, I'm not biased. I even liked
some country, like Tanya Tucker. Boy could I belt out "Delta Dawn" when I was
little! Anyway, that's me.

This newsgroup is one of three that I frequent daily (been here about a year, I
think), and is by far the friendliest group of people I've encountered on any
newsgroup so far. When I was new, I was welcomed whole-heartedly. The reading
here has been immensely enjoyable due to you guys and your memories! Thanks
for the fellowship, y'all! :-)

Becky

Rebecca

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99

step...@timken.com wrote:

I cannot imagine that a newsgroup dedicated to such a cool, mellow band
as
Pink Floyd, or even such a person who is loved as much as Elvis is,
could be
nasty... that's too bad. I've never visited either one. My vote would
have
to go to alt.tv.days-of-our-lives... yes, I'm a soap addict, but only
addicted to that one! :-) That newsgroup is a horrible mess of
extremely
ugly flame wars, but because I'm such a fan of the show, I tend to post
and
lurk regularly. I just ignore all the junk.

Becky

Rick Cortez

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
My turn now, my name is Rick C. i was born in May 4th of 1968 in Laredo
TX. & i don't have much to say to you all about some thing in the 70s,
but all i can tell you that My favorite 70s artists are: Chicago, Elton
john, Jim croce, The captain & tennille, Wings, & my favorite one hit
wonder artists are: Paper Lace, & Carl douglas.

& My favorite tv shows & movies of all time are
"Starsky & hutch."
"Switch."
"Emergency!"
& "Dallas."

& the all time movie
"Silver Streak."

& that's the whole story!

Rick

Michele

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99

This is a nice idea. I'm Michele - the ex-roller disco queen. I'm born,
live and will probably buy the farm in Philadelphia, Pa. I teach 5th grade
and have subsequently been too wiped out to post much since summer ended. I
was born in December 1965. My early - to mid seventies memories mostly
center around candy. It was all I cared about until I hit puberty and
discovered eyeliner and roller skates. I love the old disco stuff to death.

Boogie on,

Michele

Robin

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99

Hi All:

I am usually more into lurking than posting, but now's a good time to
introduce myself. I was born in 67 in Pennsylvania. I have lots of
memories of the 70's. I'm mostly into 70's TV shows and music. My fav
music group is Aerosmith. I have two teenage daughters who keep me busy,
but I do enjoy reading the postings in this newsgroup. I can't remember
whose idea it was to start the intro's, but it was a good one. Happy
posting everyone!
--
Robin

Oil Impressionist

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
In article <729N3.89$K95....@newscontent-01.sprint.ca>,
"Raphael" <raphe...@sprint.ca> wrote:
> My turn! My turn!!!

Glad to give you your turn - been waitin' on ya!

> Ok...first off, gupa to everyone (heh, "Gupa" is my little way of
confusing
> the heck outta people, also my way of saying hello). I'm Erin, born
Mar
> 26/64...just missed the Beatles on Sullivan. Yeah, I'm a Beatles'
fan (86
> albums and counting!). Born, raised, etc in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia,
I work
> in Halifax (which is just across the harbour, kinda like
Minneapolis/St.
> Paul or Bangor/Brewer). I'm a property accountant, have been since
87.

Born in Vancouver (61) - lived in and around Hamilton, Ontario (62-64),
moved to Winnipeg and stayed there till 73, when we "migrated" to
Michigan. Then moved to AZ in 90.

> Hmm...as you can probably tell, when I decide to become a fan of
something,
> I REALLY become a fan

(snip)

I'm exactly like that! All my life I've been told I get too obsessed
with things - like it's a bad thing or something. But when I find a
great thing to be obsessed about, I say what's wrong with it? I've
been obsessed with the moon since the landing, music since I got into
the Beatles at three years of age, Titanic since I saw one of the Bl&wh
movies around age 10, Billy Squier since '85, Egypt since before I was
born, and hockey since . . . well, eh? I can't help it, you know. Now
I'm obsessed with my oil painting, and that's one that I'll take to my
grave! 8-) I'm also getting crazy about South Park.

And hey, the Ninja Turtles are cool!

Sorry if this was sorta Off Topic, but like I said, I've been waiting
for Erin's Introduction!! Glad to know you better, eh?

DLN Oil Impressionist

Oil Impressionist

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
In article <7u1n1m$1872$1...@node17.cwnet.frontiernet.net>,
"Gail Warnings"

I've been awaiting your introduction too, Gail! HI!

>have memories of
> wearing REALLY hideous clothes in Jr. High. I had midi skirts and maxi
> skirts, hip hugger jeans with huge flares, goofy hippy things, like a
band
> around my hair, which of course was parted in the middle.

The pics I have with my hair parted in the middle make me . . . swallow
rather hard. Yucky!

> I was class of '76 too (Remember the bicentennial?),

I recently explained that celebration to some youngsters. It's amazing
how they look at me in the same manner I used to look at "old" folks
while they reminisced. ARG!

> I work as a legal secretary and have a part time job
> taking death notices at the local paper so I can pay for private
school for
> my kids, who are 12 (a girl, Corinne) and 8 (a boy, Alex) and for my
Saturn.
> I would rather spend time reading newsgroups than cleaning my
house,

Three cheers!!! My place looks like I enjoy living more than cleaning
too.

>I have a rather mediocre existence compared
> to some of you, but that's my life.

No such thing! And I'll bet your kids don't think your working so hard
for them (and your Saturn) is mediocre. 8-)

> BTW, congrats to you Oil Impressionist. My son is very
artistically
> inclined, and I hope he is as successful with his art as you are!
>
> Gail Warnings

Thank you so much! Anything in the arts is a hard way to go sometimes,
but I've always believed it to be worth it. Great good luck to Alex!
The art will let him know where he should go with it. This was all a
complete surprise to me - started painting in my "old age," and I can't
believe where I am today. 8-) I'm very grateful, and I'm so thankful
that the 70s helped me be who I am!

And to think that everyone was saying the 70s was the "me" generation.
All of us here certainly don't think only of themselves. Well, except
maybe for . . . little ol' me. 8-)

DLN Oil Impressionist (Dawna) 9-61

Oil Impressionist

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
In article <19991013103945...@ng-cm1.aol.com>,
You are too funny, Sandy! It probably WAS him. He even told me he
wouldn't play any more Shaun Cassidy for me at one point. (I requested
a lot of songs from him while I was in high school, and Shaun was only
one of my favorite artists.) The other DJ who was there at the time
said they couldn't play the "That's Rock 'n' Roll" 45, because Larry
broke it. Just "happened" to run over it with his chair . . . again
and again and again. Sacrilege!!!! 8-)

(Fingers crossed that this isn't another double post!)

DLN Oil Impressionist

Joy910

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
What a great group of people. We are from different places living different
and interesting lives and were various ages through the 70's yet we all have
many things in common!! I bet we would have a ball if we all got together!!

Joy

Rachel Cree

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
We actually had that idea a few months ago... pick a city and all meet... or
a huge road trip... now if one of us won a lottery, we may have something
here :)

Joy910 <joy...@aol.com> wrote in message

Tim

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99

Oil Impressionist wrote:

> You are too funny, Sandy! It probably WAS him. He even told me he
> wouldn't play any more Shaun Cassidy for me at one point.

I remember the girls going nuts over Shaun Cassidy and Leif Garrett. The
girls even started reading library books once he started playing on the
Hardy Boys TV show. <g>

Tim

missjane

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
>> I was class of '76 too (Remember the bicentennial?),

>I recently explained that celebration to some youngsters. It's amazing
>how they look at me in the same manner I used to look at "old" folks
>while they reminisced. ARG!

Man it was a HUGE deal. Those of you who don't want to hear a reminiscence, go
to next message. :)

Our Bicentennial Class of '76 had a choice at graduation time. We could pick
graduation robes in either red, white and blue OR our school colors, black and
gold. We wisely chose the school colors. Our class rings had the little
Revolutionary War drum and fife dudes on them. And my best memory:
The Bicentennial Parade: I was in the band, but chosen for the honor guard in
the parade. Bearing the Star and Stripes. And the big-city newspaper ran a
photo on its front page from the parade: me carrying the flag, the flag itself,
waving right next to the vice president, Nelson Rockefeller, on the grandstand.

missjane, who voted for the democrat in her first election that fall.

Dixon Hayes

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
>Gotta add my nomination for nasty group... soc.penpals...

I'm not sure I'd call the David Letterman group nasty, but back when I
frequented it (several years ago) there were a few people there who would go
out of their way to be rude--and a few others who would staunchly defend their
right to be rude. I was like, "Hey people, get a life!" I had enough....

Dixon Hayes

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
>My interests include my dachshunds Thelma Lou and Barney Fife,

Well, Trish, you've just stolen my heart. Anyone who loves dogs and "The Andy
Griffith Show" that much is OK with me!

Dixon Hayes

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
>Fox News Channel (among other things). I worked with some of the affiliates.
>I remember Washington, Memphis, New York (of course), and a few others. I am
>not sure if we did Birmingham. Did you happen to book your travel through
>the NYC travel office?

I haven't had to travel for the station yet, so I wouldn't know. But I
wouldn't be surprised if you handled one or two of my co-workers at WBRC,
Channel 6 in Birmingham!

Dixon Hayes

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
>I'm Neha, born 10/2/73. Believe it or not, I remember 75 and onward pretty
>vividly!

People think I'm crazy because I can remember fairly well from age 18 months
onward--that would be mid-1965! But I can. I still remember the day the
flower pot hit me in the head (spring '65) and I remember seeing the opening
credits of "The Man from Uncle" when it had to still be in prime time on NBC!

Kelly

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
I still think it is a great idea. I was keeping track of the votes and NYC
was winning by a landslide (ha ha ha). Now I am back in the real world (back
at work after my 3 1/2 month break) I am willing to travel.

Kelly

Rachel Cree <rec...@lon.ionline.net> wrote in message

recsec

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
Well Tim I must say that it wasn't ALL that bad with the girls going crazy
over Shaun Cassidy & Leif Garret!! Back in their heydays ( weren't they
about a year apart? ) my family had front row season tickets to the Houston
Livestock Show & Rodeo. I saw both of them there at the Astrodome. When they
finished up their sets they would take a ride around the Astrodome floor.
Now here I am at 16 or 17, or however old when they were each hot, & every
girl in the dome my age trying to crowd in on the front row to get a glimpse
of them. Let's just say that I had a REALLY good time with that. It
certainly made up for seeing them perform in the first place.
recsec

Raymond M. Summerlin Sr.

Oct 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/23/99
Another here - Born Sept. 7th 1961

-Ray-

In article <7ucmqq$fvf$1...@bgtnsc01.worldnet.att.net>, "Retrotrish"
<retro...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>x-no-archive: yes
>
>Wow -- there seem to be lots of us here born 1960 - 61 -- anyone else notice
>that?
>
>Trish (born in 1961)
> Trish in Atlanta
>My Retro Fun home page: http://home.att.net/~retrotrish/index.html
> * Dachshund Rescue * Retrotown Maillist * NEW - Retro Links
>RetroTrish's Retro Treasures * Dog Antiques * 1940's-'60's
> Children's Books * Boomerabilia Collectibles *
> http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/retrotrish/

S.J.Carras

Nov 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/4/99
>Subject: Re: Introductions
>From: Oil Impressionist oil_impr...@my-deja.com
>Date: Tue, 12 October 1999 01:59 AM EDT
>
>Wow, I hate following such a great act! It's a pleasure to meet you,
>Kelly and Dixon.

I'm glad to know what your name is now..Mine is Steve.I was born in
1960.Pleasure to meet you

20s-to-50...@onelist.com/
buffy...@eskimo.com
For more visit www.onelist.com
[Hyperlink eliminated for the hyperlink-wise challenged.
Anyone using my name on an e-mailing list will be reported.

S.J.Carras

Nov 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/4/99
12-8-60

Rick Edwards