Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

NoHarrassment

ungelesen,
29.07.1999, 03:00:0029.07.99
an
Well, I love listening to a great station out of Buffalo called, 97 Rock. They
play great Classic Rock. The DJs are really cool. During the day they have a
policy that they don't repeat any songs, which is great nowadays. If you want
to check out the station here's the URL: http://www.wgrf.com.
Okay so what's your fave station? I could think of more, but it's not good for
here, since most of the rest of the radio stations I listen to are 80s and 90s
related. And I don't need anybody else to get on my back about what I post.

Molly
http://www.angelfire.com/mn/mollyfa99/index.html

DavisK

ungelesen,
29.07.1999, 03:00:0029.07.99
an
Power 94 (WBLK) out of Buffalo. They used to have an amazing show called
The Oldies Jam back in the early 90's on Sunday Nights, where they would
play some awesome Soul Funk & Disco. I used to tape off of that show every
week. It went away, and then came back a couple of years ago, but now they
tend to throw in alot of 80's stuff, instead of just the 60's and especially
70's material they used to play.
I also remember almost 10 years ago a radio station that had a 70's hit
weekend, where all they played were songs from the 70's, from all types of
genres (pop, soul, rock, etc...) That was an awesome weekend (which I also
partially taped).

NoHarrassment wrote in message
<19990729020734...@ng-fa1.aol.com>...

Lady Molly

ungelesen,
29.07.1999, 03:00:0029.07.99
an
DavisK, are you near Buffalo? I sometimes listen to WBLk. It's a decent
station, when I'm in the mood for R&B music.
I remember when I was a little kid my sister listening to WUWU here in Buffalo,
and they played a lot of New Wave music, and my brother listened to what was
WPHD (which is now WGRF) and of course they played 70s music.

Molly
http://www.angelfire.com/mn/mollyfa99/index.html

richard...@my-deja.com

ungelesen,
30.07.1999, 03:00:0030.07.99
an
Best station of all time: KHJ in L.A.
Other classic stations: KYNO/Fresno, WKBW/Buffalo, KFRC S.F., KKHR/L.A
Radio today isn't as good as it used to be, I'm afraid....

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Lady Molly

ungelesen,
30.07.1999, 03:00:0030.07.99
an
Wow, I forgot WKBW. That was a great station, now it's an all sports station.
Danny Neverith (sp) is now on WHTT, the oldies station here, and Joey Reynolds
has his own own national radio show called, The Joey Reynolds Show. It's
pretty good, it's better than some of the stuff that's on late at night (ie:
Art Bell).

Molly
http://www.angelfire.com/mn/mollyfa99/index.html

Larry A. Lovering

ungelesen,
30.07.1999, 03:00:0030.07.99
an
Along with KHJ, the BEST East Coast station was WRKO/68 in Boston. Sad to
say, it's best years was 1968-1972.

Check out http://big68.org/wrko
-Larry

<richard...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

James Dobrovicz

ungelesen,
30.07.1999, 03:00:0030.07.99
an
A couple of good ones in the Cleveland area when I was growing up were WIXY
1260 am (Now part of the Disney radio network, I think), WGAR 1220 am (now a
sports-talk station), CKLW 800 am out of Windsor, Ontario (its heyday was
actually more 1960s than 1970s--I think they now do big band music), and of
course WMMS 100.7 fm. They used to win Rolling Stone's Best Rock and Roll
Station every year--until it was revealed that they stuffed the ballot box
every year.

And I live just close enough to Atlanta to get Fox-97 on a good day, and it
is the best oldies station I've ever heard.

-- James C. Dobrovicz

"Let me put my glasses on so I can hear you better"
--Brett Somers on MG74

RetroTrish wrote in message <7nsc39$r8m$1...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>...
>x-no-archive: yes
>
>In Atlanta there are two great oldies stations: 97.1 FM (Fox 97) plays
>oldies, mostly 1960's to early '70's. They have lots of great "theme"
>shows, i.e. a recent show about best B-sides of classic oldies.
>
>I also really like the new R & B/Soul (1960's-'70's) oldies station, 107.5
>FM.
>
>Trish
> Trish in Atlanta
>My Retro Fun home page: http://home.att.net/~retrotrish/index.html
> * Dachshund Rescue * Retrotown Maillist
>RetroTrish's Retro Treasures * Dog Antiques * 1940's-'60's
> Children's Books * Boomerabilia Collectibles *
> http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/retrotrish/

LizzieZ

ungelesen,
31.07.1999, 03:00:0031.07.99
an
I would love to jump back to the late 70s and replay a couple days or so of
WLS-AM 89 MusicRadio. I had that playing day and night!

Liz

King Daevid MacKenzie, UltimaJock!

ungelesen,
31.07.1999, 03:00:0031.07.99
an
...most of the time I simply flip over to http://www.reelradio.com :-) ...

--
King Daevid MacKenzie, UltimaJock! (opinions expressed solely his)
heard in Chicago-Milwaukee-Lake Geneva-Whitewater

Tim Brown

ungelesen,
03.08.1999, 03:00:0003.08.99
an
In article <19990729020734...@ng-fa1.aol.com>, NoHarrassment wrote:

>Well, I love listening to a great station out of Buffalo called, 97 Rock. They
>play great Classic Rock. The DJs are really cool. During the day they have a
>policy that they don't repeat any songs, which is great nowadays. If you want
>to check out the station here's the URL: http://www.wgrf.com.
>Okay so what's your fave station? I could think of more, but it's not good for
>here, since most of the rest of the radio stations I listen to are 80s and 90s
>related. And I don't need anybody else to get on my back about what I post.

The only stations in Cincinnati that play anything from the '70s repeat
the same songs over and over. They're horrible!

About 5 years ago, WWNK (Wink 94.1) had a '70s show on Saturday nights
that was great. The show was formatted like an actual pop music station
in the '70s, with a fast-talking DJ and snappy jingles. I wish they'd
bring this back and expand the show to fill the station's entire broadcast
day.
--
Northern Kentuckians know, stupid is as Sharon Burton does...
Start a chapter of the Anti-Sharon Club today!

"I wouldn't let a liberal near my kids, and if I did, I'd punch them so
hard." --Sharon Burton at a TANK bus stop, mid-'90s

"Your [sic] a liberal pedophile." --Sharon Burton in e-mail, 7/21/99

************ Don't question authority -- destroy it!!! ************

Tim Brown - http://members.iglou.com/bandit - ban...@iglou.com

THE LAST WORD - The Internet's #1 leftist/populist publication
http://members.iglou.com/bandit/lastword.html

Tim Brown

ungelesen,
03.08.1999, 03:00:0003.08.99
an
In article <19990731164640...@ng-bj1.aol.com>, LizzieZ wrote:

>I would love to jump back to the late 70s and replay a couple days or so of
>WLS-AM 89 MusicRadio. I had that playing day and night!

In Cincinnati, we had Q-102, which still exists but has really become
stale. We also listened to WOKV, which was 103.5.

TrueToBrad

ungelesen,
07.08.1999, 03:00:0007.08.99
an
I remember as a teenager in the 70's, in San Francisco, I listened to KYA. On
Sunday nights they hosted "ActionLine" and they would usually have a guest on
and you could call in and ask questions, etc. We used to get so excited
hearing ourselves on the radio! We used to tape ourselves on those little tape
recorders. Not the kind with the built in radio, but the type where you held
the microphone up to the radio. Which reminds me about when I used to use the
same tape recorder to record my favorite songs off the radio, I'd get really
angry when the phone would ring and I would have to re-wind the tape and wait
for the radio to play the song again so that I could try taping it again!

Jive Talking Dude From Airplane

ungelesen,
07.08.1999, 03:00:0007.08.99
an
As a teenager, I listened to WPGC and WKYS in Washington. Donnie Simpson and
Jim Elliott ruled the airways!

"Mack Yourself A Pro Slick. Grey Matter Back Transformers Down Take TCBing
Man...Cold Got To Be. You Know?"- Al White
----
"Nobody believes what you say It's just your jive talkin' That gets in the way"
- The Bee Gees

richard...@my-deja.com

ungelesen,
07.08.1999, 03:00:0007.08.99
an
DUH! How could I not mention WRKO? I've got this great aircheck of Dale
Dorman having trouble with his turntables. It's really kind of funny!

AngFioresi

ungelesen,
07.08.1999, 03:00:0007.08.99
an

Are you me? I used to do the same thing with the same radio station!! I had
one of the White Panasonic Tape Recorders. Do you also remember the radio they
put out? It was round with a chain and had to silver dials that looked like
eyes? Very 70's!

Ang

Doug Rau

ungelesen,
07.08.1999, 03:00:0007.08.99
an
Here in NW Ohio,(as well as a good portion of the Midwest and Eastern
parts of the country and Canada too),CKLW ruled the airwaves in the
early and mid 70s.

I remember hearing a lot of my favorite 70s songs played for the first
time on CKLW and they would also play a lot of music by groups from the
surrounding areas who would otherwise not get any airplay at all.

I think it was Gary Burbank,who now works at 700-WLW in Cincinnati,told
the story of how one day in the early 1970s he was the DJ on air at
CKLW,when all of a sudden this hippy comes strolling in to the studio
and asks Burbank to play his record that he and his band had recently
cut.He agreed to do so and although the record didn't become a hit it
opened the door for that hippy named Bob Seger and his Silver Bullet
Band.

-Doug

*****************************LET PETE IN*******************************

TrueToBrad

ungelesen,
08.08.1999, 03:00:0008.08.99
an
>Are you me? I used to do the same thing with the same radio station!! I had
>one of the White Panasonic Tape Recorders. Do you also remember the radio
>they
>put out? It was round with a chain and had to silver dials that looked like
>eyes? Very 70's!

If I am correct in what you are talking about, I believe that I had a yellow
radio, it sounds like what you are describing, but, I do not know what the
brand name was.

Greg Skinner

ungelesen,
09.08.1999, 03:00:0009.08.99
an
In article <19990808005356...@ng-cd1.aol.com>,

TrueToBrad <truet...@aol.com> wrote:
>If I am correct in what you are talking about, I believe that I had a yellow
>radio, it sounds like what you are describing, but, I do not know what the
>brand name was.

I think these were called tube-a-loop (sp?) radios and were made by
Panasonic.

--gregbo
gds at best.com

Joy910

ungelesen,
10.08.1999, 03:00:0010.08.99
an
When I moved to NJ in 1972 I was 9 and the station everyone my age listened to
was 77 WABC. The DJ's were mostly former WMCA Good Guys like Dan Ingram and
Cousin Brucie, Harry Harrison and Ron Lundy, who are all now on CBSFM in NY, an
oldies station. If I didnt like the song I would switch to 66 WNBC. I
carried my white toot-a-loop radio EVERYWHERE with me for years. I carried it
to school and back, played it all night under my pillow. And I still have it
and it still works

Joy

CBSEMPEROR

ungelesen,
14.08.1999, 03:00:0014.08.99
an
My favorite radio station in the 70's here in Seattle was KJR AM (aka Channel
95) I was a fan of Gary Lockwood, Charlie Brown, Burl Barer, and Norm Gregory!
KJR was Seattle's Top 40 station during the 60's through the early 80's it's
now a sportstalk station and the Sonics basketball station.

Mac's Opus

mrs...@aol.comNoTrolls (NoHarrassment) wrote:
> Well, I love listening to a great station out of Buffalo called, 97
Rock. They
> play great Classic Rock. The DJs are really cool. During the day
they have a
> policy that they don't repeat any songs, which is great nowadays. If
you want
> to check out the station here's the URL: http://www.wgrf.com.
> Okay so what's your fave station? I could think of more, but it's
not good for
> here, since most of the rest of the radio stations I listen to are
80s and 90s
> related. And I don't need anybody else to get on my back about what
I post.

> Molly
> http://www.angelfire.com/mn/mollyfa99/index.html

I listen to a Classic Rock station called "BIG" They play a great mix
of songs from the 60s, 70s, 80s and even sneak in a few 90s now and
then. BIG is on "auto-pilot" for 90% of the day so there's no nonsense
chatter to deal with. I don't know who writes their station promos but
they have the best I've ever heard...
"If's it's ELO, CCR, CSN, (etc) it's BIG!"
--
"Just a step away from the edge of the fall
Caught between Heaven and Hell..."

Raphael

ungelesen,
15.08.1999, 03:00:0015.08.99
an
We had a few stations that we'd listen to, when we were younger. CJCH was
the local 'top 40' station. I stopped listening to it when I realized how
repetitve top 40 could be...hated Betty Davis Eyes and they played it
hourly! CJCH is 'talk radio' format now. The other stations were more
geared for 'older' folks. One of those, CHNS, is now the current 'oldies'
station and the station I tend to listen to the most.

The other station we used to love didn't air on the radio (well, not that we
could find). It aired on TV - CRXL - it was a local training station for
DJ's. It was great, we used to call in and request songs all of the time
("And here's another song going out to the Five Musketeers...."). One of my
friends (the 'boy crazy' one) used to spend HOURS on the phone with these
guys...I have one of the conversations on tape (Yeah, I used to tape phone
conversations a lot as a kid...).

Erin ">

Charles W. Finley

ungelesen,
15.08.1999, 03:00:0015.08.99
an

Doug Rau <doug...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Here in NW Ohio,(as well as a good portion of the Midwest and Eastern
> parts of the country and Canada too),CKLW ruled the airwaves in the
> early and mid 70s.
>
> I remember hearing a lot of my favorite 70s songs played for the first
> time on CKLW and they would also play a lot of music by groups from the
> surrounding areas who would otherwise not get any airplay at all.

CKLW was also known for its 20/20 news. The News focused on the Blood and
Guts and aired at 20 minutes after and 20 minutes before the hour. a lot of
the news focused on the news in Detroit. CKLW also aired acts from Canada
that wouldn't air in USA. thus no act from Canada would make it big in the
USA unless it air on CKLW.

Timothy W.

ungelesen,
18.08.1999, 03:00:0018.08.99
an
Here in NYC (okay, NJ by NYC) the best station in the 1970s was WPLJ 95.5.
Total AOR, played the gamut, from Kiss, Beatles, Aerosmith, Zeppelin, etc.
Now it's a imitation-Zoo station, which plays lighter top-40.
Charles W. Finley <c...@gatecom.com> wrote in message

Retro Man

ungelesen,
18.08.1999, 03:00:0018.08.99
an
In article <7pfndg$mcb$1...@bgtnsc01.worldnet.att.net>, "Timothy W."
<crew...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> Here in NYC (okay, NJ by NYC) the best station in the 1970s was WPLJ 95.5.

That's a matter of opinion. Musicradio WABC 77 was THE megastation back
then. There's even a website solely dedicated to it
(www.musicradio77.com).

Joy910

ungelesen,
20.08.1999, 03:00:0020.08.99
an
>> Here in NYC (okay, NJ by NYC) the best station in the 1970s was WPLJ 95.5.
>
>That's a matter of opinion. Musicradio WABC 77 was THE megastation back
>then. There's even a website solely dedicated to it
>(www.musicradio77.com).

Having grown up listening to both stations, I can say you are both right on all
counts!!. WABC was AM and definitly TOP 40 pop fluff music and more younger
kids listened to it. As we got older and our tastes changed we grew into WPLJ
FM. I remember we thought it was so cool listening to PLJ.
I used to carry my white Toot-a-Loop radio to and from school and listened to
it under my pillow every night tuned to WABC. I dropped that radio from the
top of my locker countless times and it still works to this day. Do you
remember the buttons WABC had and if you wore one and someone spotted it you
won a prize? People had them covering their body to win. They were real small
too. Many of the DJ's from ABC have moved to CBS FM. Harry Harrison, Ron
Lundy, Dan Ingram, Chuck Leonard, and twice a week, Cousin Brucie. I remember
changing to 66 WNBC when ABC played a song I didnt like. Anyone catch PLJ now?
I hate it!!

Joy

Retro Man

ungelesen,
20.08.1999, 03:00:0020.08.99
an
In article <19990820113549...@ng-fp1.aol.com>, joy...@aol.com
(Joy910) wrote:

> Do you
> remember the buttons WABC had and if you wore one and someone spotted it you
> won a prize? People had them covering their body to win. They were
real small
> too.

The website (which is meticulously detailed) has a section about the
contests. Elsewhere on the site, listening to the station ID jingles will
really take you back.

Classic Rocker

ungelesen,
21.08.1999, 03:00:0021.08.99
an
In article <43Dt3.63992$jl.40...@newscontent-01.sprint.ca>,

I was one of those seventies DJs who once spent a lot of time talking
on the phone to one particular listener while the hits played. We've
been married for twenty years now.

As for my favorite seventies station? Well, it was neither of the
stations where I worked. Do any past Detroiters out there remember the
early WABX days? Album rock before the format was clipped to a
leash. --
It's gotta be Rock 'n' Roll music,
if you wanna dance with me!

Stephen Polhill

ungelesen,
21.08.1999, 03:00:0021.08.99
an
Actually in the 70s the FM station of choice for top 40 in NYC was 99x
which became KISS-FM in 1980.

"Here in NYC (okay, NJ by NYC) the best station in the 1970s was WPLJ
95.5."

Scarred for life
no compensation,
Private...
Investigations-knopfler

Like the coldest winter chill
heaven beside you,
hell within-cantrell
stevie nice

Joy910

ungelesen,
21.08.1999, 03:00:0021.08.99
an
>Actually in the 70s the FM station of choice for top 40 in NYC was 99x
>which became KISS-FM in 1980.
>
>"Here in NYC (okay, NJ by NYC) the best station in the 1970s was WPLJ

I remember 99X. Jay Thomas was a DJ there and then he got into acting and left
to co-star on Mork and Mindy then later on Cheers as Carla's Eddie, the hockey
player. I agree, the station was more pop sounding than the harder 95.5 but
not nearly as poppy as WABC. Btw, I'm from NJ too! The other station that
rivaled 95.5 was 102.7 until PLJ became Power 95, changed their call letters
and totally lost their coolness. They went back to PLJ but it wasnt quite the
same. Now 102.7 isnt so great anymore either. The tri-state area is lacking a
real good AOR station. Well, WDHA is pretty good. Let me know if I am
forgetting any good AOR stations. Its been years since I left the radio on one
station on for a long period of time without changing it.

Joy

King Daevid MacKenzie, UltimaJock!

ungelesen,
21.08.1999, 03:00:0021.08.99
an
...in listening to a lot of the old airchecks of KHJ Los Angeles on
http://www.reelradio.com over the past few months, I've finally come to
realise exactly why WCFL Chicago was the best of the '70s---WCFL took the
best elements of what KHJ had done in previous years (some elements of
which KHJ had actually quit doing themselves by '73 or '74) and coupled
the formula with disc jockeys that were capable of transcending the basic
formula when they felt like it (Dick Sainte & Doug Dahlgren, Larry Lujack,
the World Famous Tom Murphy) and syndicated programs that broke the mold
(Wolfman Jack, Dr. Demento)...in fact, after a while it seems as if KHJ
was beginning to imitate WCFL rather than the other way around!...

radiofan

ungelesen,
22.08.1999, 03:00:0022.08.99
an
mine had to be KFRC in SAn Francisco...I lived in San Diego and got this
station at night I just got done doing a cdr of some airchecks from 1974 to
1986 and I loved KCBQ in San Diego got some from ther too..miss those days..

Richard A. DeCamp

ungelesen,
28.08.1999, 03:00:0028.08.99
an
radiofan <radi...@airchecks.hehee> wrote in message

> mine had to be KFRC in SAn Francisco...I lived in San Diego and got this
> station at night I just got done doing a cdr of some airchecks from 1974
> 1986 and I loved KCBQ in San Diego got some from ther too..miss those
days..

Locally, KGGI-FM 99.1 Riverside, for pop and disco (big change from before,
when it was KBBL, a religious station), and for rock, 99.9 "K-O-L-A, San
Bernardino", as the automated station ID went (though the studios were also
actually in Riverside, at the Mission Inn--if you remember Eddie Money's
"Think I'm In Love" video from the 80s, where he's standing in a circular
courtyard, that's part of the Inn and the KOLA studios were on the top
floor).

I eventually gravitated to KMET-FM LA--94.7 (all hail the Mighty Met, God
rest its soul), and later to KROQ 106.7 before it became world famous--but
that was another decade...

Rich

iwontr...@my-deja.com

ungelesen,
14.09.1999, 03:00:0014.09.99
an
Just in case anyone is unaware of it, there's a page that remembers CKLW
as it was in the 60's/70's at http://www.cklw.org/

In article <6cEt3.2245$x04.1...@typ11.nn.bcandid.com>,

"Charles W. Finley" <c...@gatecom.com> wrote:

> Doug Rau <doug...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Here in NW Ohio,(as well as a good portion of the Midwest and
Eastern
> > parts of the country and Canada too),CKLW ruled the airwaves in the
> > early and mid 70s.
> >
> > I remember hearing a lot of my favorite 70s songs played for the
first
> > time on CKLW and they would also play a lot of music by groups from
the
> > surrounding areas who would otherwise not get any airplay at all.
> >
> CKLW was also known for its 20/20 news. The News focused on the Blood
and
> Guts and aired at 20 minutes after and 20 minutes before the hour. a
lot of
> the news focused on the news in Detroit. CKLW also aired acts from
Canada
> that wouldn't air in USA. thus no act from Canada would make it big in
the
> USA unless it air on CKLW.

Rm8256

ungelesen,
15.09.1999, 03:00:0015.09.99
an
HI..Im glad to hear of someone else that remembers CKLW......i grew up with
this station....thanks for the link....i live in texas now but am from the
detroit...had lots of family in windsor and i remember passing their studios
everytime i went 'across the river"

John J Hogan

ungelesen,
17.09.1999, 03:00:0017.09.99
an
The ONLY rock station in upstate NY was WPTR, Albany, NY. FM station. All
the others in the area (3) were AM and played 40-50's and Disco (May the
rock and roll gods strike me dead).

Shinobi2

ungelesen,
24.09.1999, 03:00:0024.09.99
an
WRKO in Boston before it went all talk. And, also in Boston WCOZ--"Kick ass
rock-n-roll" with "Party out of Bounds" hosted by Cindy Bailin, "Off The Record
with Mary Turner", "King Biscuit Flower Hour", and "Dr. Demento"

Sandyfour

ungelesen,
24.09.1999, 03:00:0024.09.99
an

YEAH!! RKO was just the best back in the 70's....Dale Dorman and Mike Adams
were my favorites. I waited all year long for the New Years Eve Top 100 count
down!!!

Sandy

0 neue Nachrichten