Highrise bikes

Chris Phillips

May 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/22/96

How many of you rode one of these. I wanted one but my Dad wouldn't let me.
"Too dangerous, son." Was he right?
The other day I saw a genuine '70s highrise bike. Against a backdrop of
all-too-common everyday mountian bikes, it really looked cool.

djd

May 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/24/96

In <phillips-220...@202.234.25.253> phil...@koyosha.co.jp

What is a 'highrise bike?' Can't say I've ever heard of that. Is it
like a chopper with a sissy bar, or something?

Duane
djd...@ix.netcom.com

Vashti

May 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/27/96

djd...@ix.netcom.com(djd) wrote:

>What is a 'highrise bike?' Can't say I've ever heard of that. Is it
>like a chopper with a sissy bar, or something?

The ones I remember had a sissy-bar in the back, a "banana seat", the
seat was adjusted high and the handle bars were ala Easy-Rider, long &
u-shaped. All the safety guards were taken off the thing, and the
boys always put "Rat Fink" stickers on the seats.

vash

Jay Phillips

May 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/27/96

In article <4oc8a6$7...@pineapple.theshop.net>, vas...@theshop.net (Vashti)
wrote:

Yeah, and don't forget the upswept rear fender a la Kawasaki's KZ line, a
bike license plate (usually states or "cool" abbreviations) that came in
any number of breakfast cereal promos, and the genuine gearheads would
have stickers out of Hot Rod magazine, et.al., pasted on any surface big
enough to fit. When our legs got longer, we used to put the back of the
seat a little lower than the front for that extra shot of the "Easy Rider"
look.

Jay
(who later had the real thing with a '75 Norton 850 Commando Hi-Rider -
the grown-up boy's banana bike!)

Vin

May 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/28/96

>>The other day I saw a genuine '70s highrise bike. Against
>> a backdrop of all-too-common everyday mountian bikes, it
>> really looked cool.
>
> What is a 'highrise bike?' Can't say I've ever heard of that. Is it
> like a chopper with a sissy bar, or something?

You can see pictures of these style bikes at:
http://users.aol.com/Menotomy
under 'Vintage Bicycles'

To see some 'highrise bikes'

Carenmarc

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

> What is a 'highrise bike?' Can't say I've ever heard of >that.

We called highrise bikes "stingrays".
-------Caren

SunnyDeb

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

In article <4omcsl$1...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, care...@aol.com
(Carenmarc) writes:

>We called highrise bikes "stingrays".
>-------Caren

Yesterday a friend of mine bought a bike that has the tall handlebars and
the banana seat at a garage sale. But when her son was riding it, the
front wheel came off. He had to get 13 stitches in his chin and 2 in his
knee. So if you get an old bike, check it out first!

Deb

Laurel Jones

Jun 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/1/96

In article <4omcsl$1...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> care...@aol.com (Carenmarc) writes:
>From: care...@aol.com (Carenmarc)
>Newsgroups: alt.culture.us.1970s
>Subject: Re: Highrise bikes
>Date: 31 May 1996 05:07:33 -0400
>Sender: ro...@newsbf02.news.aol.com

>> What is a 'highrise bike?' Can't say I've ever heard of >that.

>We called highrise bikes "stingrays".
>-------Caren

The stinrays with "bannana" seats were great for riding double or triple. We
used to get two riders on the seat and one on the handlebars. It was really
cool to have your boyfriend drive you around on the handlebars of his stingray
when I was about 11. Remember the ones with the metal bar on the back of the
seat that was about three feet high? It was a rod in an upside down "U" shape.

Charlie Wehrmacher

Jun 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/1/96

In article <4ond20$a...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,

sunn...@aol.com (SunnyDeb) wrote:
>In article <4omcsl$1...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, care...@aol.com
>(Carenmarc) writes:
>
>>We called highrise bikes "stingrays".
>>-------Caren
>
>Yesterday a friend of mine bought a bike that has the tall handlebars and
>the banana seat at a garage sale. But when her son was riding it, the
>front wheel came off. He had to get 13 stitches in his chin and 2 in his
>knee. So if you get an old bike, check it out first!
>
>Deb

I fixed my brothers bike for him when I was about 7 and he ended up
with a couple of stiches in his lip when his handlebars came loose.
I was alot better mechanic by the time I was 9.

We had a Schwinn Orange Crate which was a 20 inch 5 speed stingray
with light weight tires, a springer front end and a real dangerous
looking stick shift.

Charlie Wehrmacher
Manufacturing Solutions
Waverly, Iowa, USA

kar...@infi.net

Jun 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/2/96

lau...@laurel.seanet.com (Laurel Jones) wrote:

>In article <4omcsl$1...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> care...@aol.com (Carenmarc) writes:
>>From: care...@aol.com (Carenmarc)
>>Newsgroups: alt.culture.us.1970s
>>Subject: Re: Highrise bikes
>>Date: 31 May 1996 05:07:33 -0400
>>Sender: ro...@newsbf02.news.aol.com

>>> What is a 'highrise bike?' Can't say I've ever heard of >that.

>>We called highrise bikes "stingrays".
>>-------Caren

>The stinrays with "bannana" seats were great for riding double or triple. We

>used to get two riders on the seat and one on the handlebars. It was really
>cool to have your boyfriend drive you around on the handlebars of his stingray
>when I was about 11. Remember the ones with the metal bar on the back of the
>seat that was about three feet high? It was a rod in an upside down "U" shape.

a sissy bar.

Brian

Jun 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/2/96

>cool to have your boyfriend drive you around on the handlebars of his >stingray
>when I was about 11. Remember the ones with the metal bar on the back >of the
>seat that was about three feet high? It was a rod in an upside down >"U" shape.

Weren't those called "sissy bars?"

There was a kid from the next block over in my neighborhood who had the coolest Stingray bike: It had the gearshift handle on the fr=
ont bar and spring suspension. It was everybody's wetdream.

=84If you are an old man, and you go into a bar in
pajamas, people will buy you drinks.=BE

Nursing Home Resident
"Duplex Planet"

The "Chez Guevara" Cyber-Cafe
http://www.tezcat.com/~juanyen/chezguev.html

MacAbacus

Jun 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/2/96

Chris/Sarah <cjd...@iprolink.co.nz> wrote:

>> >We called highrise bikes "stingrays".
>> >-------Caren
>>
>> The stinrays with "bannana" seats were great for riding double or triple. We
>> used to get two riders on the seat and one on the handlebars. It was really

>> cool to have your boyfriend drive you around on the handlebars of his stingray
>> when I was about 11. Remember the ones with the metal bar on the back of the
>> seat that was about three feet high? It was a rod in an upside down "U" shape.

>--
>>It was called a "sissy bar".
>I remember whole streets of kids riding these things and attempting Evel
>Knievel type stunts on them eg flying off ramps while other kids lay down
>in a line in front of the ramp to jump over! Were we mad or just young?

How about the Schwinn that had the 3 speed Stick Shift? Mondo Cool !

Mac

Chris/Sarah

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96
> >From: care...@aol.com (Carenmarc)
> >Newsgroups: alt.culture.us.1970s
> >Subject: Re: Highrise bikes
> >Date: 31 May 1996 05:07:33 -0400
> >Sender: ro...@newsbf02.news.aol.com
>
> >> What is a 'highrise bike?' Can't say I've ever heard of >that.
>
> >We called highrise bikes "stingrays".
> >-------Caren
>
> The stinrays with "bannana" seats were great for riding double or triple. We
> used to get two riders on the seat and one on the handlebars. It was really
> cool to have your boyfriend drive you around on the handlebars of his stingray
> when I was about 11. Remember the ones with the metal bar on the back of the
> seat that was about three feet high? It was a rod in an upside down "U" shape.

--
Internet ProLink NZ
New Zealand's Professional Internet Service

Chris Phillips

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

Oh well, that's what we called them. In other words, bikes with "bannana
seats" and "ape hangers" (Easy Rider-type handle bars).
In the early 70s, there was a chopper-style bike made by a local
manufacturer in NZ,called, of all things, "Chopper." It had ape hangers,
bannana seat, sissy bar, small front wheel and car-style gear shift on the
top tube.

The national Consumer magazine did a report on it and rubbished it
completely, saying something like, "Whoever designed these bikes obviously
didn't like kids. The front wheel is just the right size for falling into
pot holes, while the handle bars are just wide enough for the rider to go
flying through."
One thing they forgot to evaluate it on, however, was "cult appeal."
I would have given it the five star grade.
25 years later, these bikes are collectors items, fetching high prices.

I was never fortunate enough to have one of these. Dad just wouldn't allow
it. But have always liked bikes.

The other day, I was riding my carbon-fiber and titanium "best of 90's
technology" racing bike.
And what did I see at the local bike shop?
A chopper style bike for sale, newly manufactured, even grooovier than the
original "Chopper."

Now, the big question for me is, do I get it or not?

Chris/Sarah

Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96

Chris Phillips wrote:.

> And what did I see at the local bike shop?
> A chopper style bike for sale, newly manufactured, even grooovier than the
> original "Chopper."
>
> Now, the big question for me is, do I get it or not?

--
What big question - go for it. Man, I know just the bike your talking
about. They were so cool. If I could get my hands on one I'd be over

Hayes

Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96
to Chris Phillips

Chris Phillips wrote:

> Oh well, that's what we called them. In other words, bikes with "bannana
> seats" and "ape hangers" (Easy Rider-type handle bars).
> In the early 70s, there was a chopper-style bike made by a local
> manufacturer in NZ,called, of all things, "Chopper." It had ape hangers,
> bannana seat, sissy bar, small front wheel and car-style gear shift on the
> top tube.
>
> The national Consumer magazine did a report on it and rubbished it
> completely, saying something like, "Whoever designed these bikes obviously
> didn't like kids. The front wheel is just the right size for falling into
> pot holes, while the handle bars are just wide enough for the rider to go
> flying through."
> One thing they forgot to evaluate it on, however, was "cult appeal."
> I would have given it the five star grade.
> 25 years later, these bikes are collectors items, fetching high prices.
>
> I was never fortunate enough to have one of these. Dad just wouldn't allow
> it. But have always liked bikes.
>
> The other day, I was riding my carbon-fiber and titanium "best of 90's
> technology" racing bike.
> And what did I see at the local bike shop?
> A chopper style bike for sale, newly manufactured, even grooovier than the
> original "Chopper."
>
> Now, the big question for me is, do I get it or not?

I had a "chopper" when I was a kid. It was the envy of Belmar CIrcle.
I never had a wreck, but unfortunately several other kids who borrowed
it did. One guy even broke his arm and collarbone and had to miss a
season of football. My bike from then on was called the "Widowmaker".
It was the "Christine" of bicycles.

Oh yeah, it had a gearshift on the front bar. When the plastic
shift ball came off, the shift was pretty much like a knife sticking up.

Should you get one now? If it's anything like mine, I wouldn't.

--Dixon Hayes

Chris Phillips

Vin

Jun 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/5/96

> How about the Schwinn that had the 3 speed Stick Shift? Mondo Cool !

There are pictures of these bikes, stick shift, rear slicks and all,
at:
http://users.aol.com/menotomy under 'Vintage Bicycles'

-Vin

Chris Phillips

Jun 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/7/96

Well, I actually SAW a "Dragster" the other day!
It was parked in one of those mall streets in Christchurch. It looked as
though it had been restored, or at least very well looked after.
It was bigger than a Chopper, and had a bright yellow paint job.
I was so impressed I waited around for a while, hoping to meet the owner,
but he never turned up.
Way cool man! It made those mountain bikes look like a thing of the past.

Chris Phillips

Chris Phillips

Jun 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/10/96

After the bannana bikes, high-risers, Stingrays--whatever they were called
in your town--faded out of vogue, bikes with 20 inch wheels, kind of like
Alex Moulton bikes but without the fancy truss frame, became popular.
My one, a "Loline" (only in NZ, as far as I know) was so advanced it had
"Grip Shift" gears and a disc brake!!
These technogizmos made a big comeback with many of the more serious
mountain bikers of the 90's. Probably what a lot of the younger ones don't
realize though is that these are not an innovation at all, just recycled
'70s fashion.
The Lowline manufacturer even won an award as a model industry as it
boomed in the '70s.
By the mid 80's though, I think this company had gone out of business
completely, or at least faded into oblivion.I never heard what happened to
them.
I haven't seen a Loline for about 20 years.