70's Food

Kathykoco

Sep 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/19/98

We are having a 70's themed party the end of October and need ideas for food.
Main entrees, appetizers, drinks etc. Any ideas will help. I was born in 1962
and do remember the 70's..I did live in the states,but my family was from
Europe and my mom cooked European meals. Please help make my party a success.
Please email me personally....Thank you

Kathy

Dean F.

Sep 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/19/98
Kathykoco wrote:

> We are having a 70's themed party the end of October and need ideas for food.

Any food I can think of that was indigenous to the '70s is no longer being
made--American Fries, beefalo, and Koogel peanut butter, for example.

FMA

Sep 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/20/98
Must have fondue

Kathykoco wrote in message <19980918232612...@ng103.aol.com>...

>We are having a 70's themed party the end of October and need ideas for
food.

Michael Seu

Sep 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/21/98
Kathykoco wrote:

> We are having a 70's themed party the end of October and need ideas for food.
> Main entrees, appetizers, drinks etc. Any ideas will help.

I'm chairing a skewl banquet, and I'd like to ask the same question.
</me too!> Please e-mail me as well or post it to the newsgroup.

Also, are there any products that came out during the 70's that are
still around? (grape bubble yum?) Does anyone know when poprocks first
came out?

Thank you. :)

Candace Seu

If anyone could help me it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

MFa2707621

Sep 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/22/98

Did Pop Rocks come out around 1977 or 1978? Man, I loved them. I remember a
few times they would get stuck in your teeth and they would pop. That really
bugged me.

Molly

Rat

Sep 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/22/98

If you want 70's candy, try to find ZOTZ! :)
I think they still make them...Hard candies,
individually wrapped, with that same kind of
Pop-Rock fizzy stuff inside 'em

--Rat (who was addicted to 'em in 4th grade, and who,
for whatever reason, had an extensive collection of
ZOTZ! wrappers...)

MFa2707621

Sep 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/22/98

I've never even heard of ZOZTS.

Molly

F Gene Dempsey

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98
They do still make ZOTS. I see a larger version of them at times in
Service Station Food marts.

Now/Laters were big in my area in the early 70s.

--
Gene Dempsey ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Pleasure - gdem...@bc.seflin.org / \ ^ / \ / \ / \ / \

Thinkmatic

Sep 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/24/98

Yeh zots are still around and they still make green apple and watermelon
flavor.

Another great item from the '70s that's on the market again is Quisp cereal.
Quaker even has a web site. How cool is that.

Mr. Jasper

Sep 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/25/98
Fon Doo!!!!!!!!!

Luke

Sep 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/26/98
to MFa2707621
I remember Pop Rocks hitting big in that time. It was definitely one of the two
years, but I'm not sure which one. I remember eating them in the afternoon with
my friends (you could get 5 packs for a buck and I remember thinking that was
sort of pricey!). That night, after hours, two meals and brushing my teeth had
passed. As I was lying down to sleep.... I felt a POP! And a faint but
unmistakeable orange flavor materialized.

LuKE
"I BEG YOUR CHALDON..." (am I spelling this right???)

Luke

Sep 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/26/98
to shad...@best.com
The first time I tried Zots I thought they were pretty rank and didnt eat more than
a few before throwing the pack away. But then, the next day I had a very distinct
craving for more. I bought more, and same thing I thought they were rank and
tossed most the pack...except this time I ate a bit more before doing so. Within a
few weeks I was downing packs of Zots. I have never had this sort of addictive
hate/love relationship with any candy before. Is it possible that we were all
drugged?

Rat wrote:

> MFa2707621 wrote:
> >
> > Did Pop Rocks come out around 1977 or 1978? Man, I loved them. I remember a
> > few times they would get stuck in your teeth and they would pop. That really
> > bugged me.
> >
> > Molly

The Kizis Family

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
My favorite candy from when I was young (1960's-1970's) were Sweetarts,
Pixie Sticks, Lick-A-Maide, those little wax bottles with flavored liquid in
them, candy necklaces (which always made my neck sticky), those candy dots
on the long sheet of paper, smarties, etc........... My dentist just loved
me, I think he purchased his first boat from working on my teeth (LOL).
Robin k 58

Michael Seu

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
Thanks to everyone who replied. Now, does anyone know when Twinkies
came out?

Candace

Endymion9

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98

Zots...the candy with the fizz inside. Much better than pop rocks.

Dennis/Endy
Happiness is reading a good scifi book :)

Endymion9

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98

I loved Quisp. My sister loved Quake. I notice Quaker doesn't call it Quisp
now though. Just Sweet Crisps of Oats or something like that.

I think Count Chocula and Frankenberry cereals are 70s too.

MFa2707621

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98

One more thing on Pop Rocks. I was watching 8 Track Flashback with Suzanne
Somers this weekend on VH1, and she popped some Pop Rocks in her mouth. When
she talked you could hear them popping away. I was so surprised her mike could
pick that up.

Molly

Endymion9

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98

>Thanks to everyone who replied. Now, does anyone know when Twinkies
>came out?

My guess would be mid 70s. That's when I started seeing them.

FitNFeisty

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98

I remember Twinkies in the early 1970's(71 or 72). My guess is that they were
introduced in the early to mid 1960's.

redluvr

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
<de-lurking>

On 30 Sep 1998 05:06:19 GMT, endy...@aol.com (Endymion9) wrote:
>>Thanks to everyone who replied. Now, does anyone know when Twinkies
>>came out?
>My guess would be mid 70s. That's when I started seeing them.

i remember them (i think) as a school kid in the early 60's somewhere
around 63.

mike

<engage lurking device>

fywy

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98
I don't remember when they came out but living in metro Detroit in the 60's
my 2nd grade class and I went to the WonderBread factory and all got a fresh
twinkies and bread right out of the oven.

Michael Seu wrote in message <6us4ao$b3u$1...@news-2.news.gte.net>...

>Thanks to everyone who replied. Now, does anyone know when Twinkies
>came out?
>

>Candace

Thinkmatic

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98

Check out the Quisp web site. Quaker still calls it "Quisp" and the box is
nearly the same one from OH thouse many years ago......

ChesterB

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98

>think...@aol.com (Thinkmatic)<BR>
>Date: 10/2/98 11:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time<BR>
><BR>
><BR>

>Check out the Quisp web site. Quaker still calls it "Quisp" and the box
>is<BR>
>nearly the same one from OH thouse many years ago......<BR>
></HTML>

you can get QUISPS at yer super market too. only they aren't called QUISPS -
they're called QUAKERS SWEET CRUNCH. and they come in a bag.

+++++++++++++++--
hoot man

The Kizis Family

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98
Does anyone remember "Shake a Pudding". You put the powder mix and water in
the cup that came with it, put the lid on and shook the cup. Voila,
instant pudding!
Robin K 58

Luke wrote in message <360DD9F8...@dnai.com>...

>I remember Pop Rocks hitting big in that time. It was definitely one of
the two
>years, but I'm not sure which one. I remember eating them in the afternoon
with
>my friends (you could get 5 packs for a buck and I remember thinking that
was
>sort of pricey!). That night, after hours, two meals and brushing my
teeth had
>passed. As I was lying down to sleep.... I felt a POP! And a faint but
>unmistakeable orange flavor materialized.
>

>LuKE
>"I BEG YOUR CHALDON..." (am I spelling this right???)

Heidi Kane

Oct 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/3/98
I loved that stuff and wished they still made it and the below item.
Do you remember the jello that as it set, it made 3 different layers.
A foamy top with a creamy middle and that jello-ey bottom layer.

I recently saw in my local food store Fizzies.
They were the tablets that looked like Alka Seltzer but made plain old
tap water into a tasty drink.

On Fri, 2 Oct 1998 23:18:18 -0400, "The Kizis Family"
<ser...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>Does anyone remember "Shake a Pudding". You put the powder mix and water in
>the cup that came with it, put the lid on and shook the cup. Voila,
>instant pudding!
>Robin K 58

"At my age I've seen it all; I've heard it all; I've done it all; I just can't remember it all.

Our Little Corner Of The Internet
http://www.bestweb.net/~jpkane
kan...@juno.com

the spaminator

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98
1977 late.

pop rocks was way cool if you stuffed alot into your mouth and just started
chewing, not waiting for them to pop.

Rat wrote:

> MFa2707621 wrote:
> >
> > Did Pop Rocks come out around 1977 or 1978? Man, I loved them. I remember a
> > few times they would get stuck in your teeth and they would pop. That really
> > bugged me.
> >
> > Molly

if i remember zotz, it wasn't very long lived.

--
http://www.knightmayor.com
don't try spamming US... you'll waste your time and annoy the administrator!

iceman

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98
Pop rocks are still available. I picked up a bag of strawberry pop rocks at
a local bulk candy shop. They are still great!

bill

iceman

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98
How about "Great Shakes" ???

It was a powder, mixed with milk, that made milkshakes. The mix came with
a plastic container (with lid) that was used to "shake" the mixture.
They were great, I was sorry when they were no longer available.

bill

Thinkmatic

Oct 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/13/98

The new rootbeer Fizzies are the best. I loved the original ones also.

Chris Keating

Oct 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/16/98
Hello all.

According to the official (and terrible) quiz on the Twinkies homepage
(http://www.twinkies.com), the Twinkie was introduced in the same decade
as the film The Wizard of Oz(!). I guess that means that they're a
product of the 30's. Another item on the Twinkie site shows "nostalgia"
from the 80's. There's a Twinkie ad touting the 50th anniversary of the
confection.

As for shelf-life, according to NPR, it's 7 days.

--Chris

redluvr wrote:

> <de-lurking>
>
> On 30 Sep 1998 05:06:19 GMT, endy...@aol.com (Endymion9) wrote:

> >>Thanks to everyone who replied. Now, does anyone know when Twinkies
> >>came out?

Chris Keating

Oct 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/16/98
As for 70's food, does anyone remember Boo-Berry? The last piece in the
troika of Frankenberry and Count Chocula? It's still available in some
parts of the country, but I don't see it where I live anymore.

--Chris

Endymion9 wrote:

> Zots...the candy with the fizz inside. Much better than pop rocks.

and...@webtv.net

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
SCREAMING YELLOW ZONKERS !!!
they were great for the munchies!!

ChesterB

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98
hey, does anyone remember the cinnamon flavored cap'n crunch cereal? cap'n's
enemy pirate was the spokes-toon for it.

my wife thinks i'm batty, so i need some back-up to prove my sanity.

+++++++++++++++--
hoot man

Decophile

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98
I seem to recall a snack food called "Space Food Sticks" that came
sealed in foil like the astronauts used. I recalled they were
awful.......probably like what the astronauts had to endure.

Gene

Decophile
(Remove SPAM-BLOCK when responding)
http://www.pipeline.com/~decophile

Rat

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98
Chris Keating wrote:

> As for 70's food, does anyone remember Boo-Berry? The last piece in the
> troika of Frankenberry and Count Chocula? It's still available in some
> parts of the country, but I don't see it where I live anymore.
>
> --Chris

I remember Boo-Berry. I liked Count Chocula better, though (I
wish I could still get it, but they don't sell it anywhere
I've seen around here--San Jose, CA, that is)

Does anyone remember "Breakfast Squares"? I think General
Mills made them--they came two to a foil pack, in a box
of 8 (I think), and they were these brownie-cakey kind of
thing with frosting. They came in a lot of flavors, but I
only liked the chocolate ones. Another thing I wish I could
find, because I used to love them...

--Rat

Julie

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98
Rat wrote:

> Chris Keating wrote:
> >
> > As for 70's food, does anyone remember Boo-Berry? The last piece in the
> > troika of Frankenberry and Count Chocula? It's still available in some
> > parts of the country, but I don't see it where I live anymore.
> >
> > --Chris
> >

> I remember Boo-Berry. I liked Count Chocula better, though (I
> wish I could still get it, but they don't sell it anywhere
> I've seen around here--San Jose, CA, that is)

Hey, I'm in san Jose too! And bummed as hell that I can't buy Franken
Berry! Those hard little marshmallows...yum!

Speaking of cereal, anyone remember Grins & Smiles & Giggles & Laughs?
It was sugary little happy faces. I was always so cheerful when I had
that cereal, though I don't know if it was because of the shapes or the
sugar! <g>

Julie

Paul White

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
Yeah, space food sticks were gross. But they fit in well with all that was
happening then.
Space race, Landing on the moon, cold war, etc.

--------------

Mark Schneider wrote in message <362f3596...@news.bit-net.com>...

>On Mon, 19 Oct 1998 10:17:29 GMT, decophile...@pipeline.com
>(Decophile) wrote:
>
>>I seem to recall a snack food called "Space Food Sticks" that came
>>sealed in foil like the astronauts used. I recalled they were
>>awful.......probably like what the astronauts had to endure.
>>

>Sure! I think they came out in the late 60's though. Might be wrong
>though.
>
>Mark

>>Gene
>>
>>Decophile
>>(Remove SPAM-BLOCK when responding)
>>http://www.pipeline.com/~decophile
>

>__
>
>** replace splegg-net with bit-net to reply **

sleest...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
In article <362BA4...@ix.netcom.com>,
> >What about Honeycombs cereal w/ Jackson Five records on the back of the
boxes?

MCG1119

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
Try Kraft cheese in a can, still being sold. Goes great with Ritz crackers.
As Andy Griffith said, anything tastes good when it sits on a Ritz. We ate
it all the time in the '70's.

Look for a fondue pot, if you don't already have one.

Also, Pop Rocks and Zotz candy.

Dean F. wrote in message <3603F16E...@earthlink.net>...
>Kathykoco wrote:
>
>> We are having a 70's themed party the end of October and need ideas for
food.

>Any food I can think of that was indigenous to the '70s is no longer being
>made--American Fries, beefalo, and Koogel peanut butter, for example.

Rachel Cree

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
What about that processed cheese that came in a wiener like tube.. you
pierced the middle where a little circle was and squeezed it out.
what about candy necklaces.. the kind you'd have around your neck and in
your mouth as you biked down the street... garbage pail candy.. 25 cent
chocolate bars.. bar six...

Timothy W. wrote in message <7cchgi$o...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...
>I remember some pretty nasty stuff from the 70s. There were these
>peanut-butter flavored tootsie-roll like things that for some reason
>everyone ate.
>
>I also remember a candy, where you got a candy "dip-stick" and three
packets
>of candy-dust that you would dip it in... I still see that one...

Timothy W.

Mar 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/13/99

Zep77

Mar 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/13/99
i think the "peanut butter tootsie-roll like things" were the infamous
pillsbury space food sticks.think the astronaughts really ate them??

Chawman

Mar 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/13/99
I remember those!! EWWWWWW!!!!! :p

Bob Stell

Mar 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/13/99
to Zep77
Wow...wrote a post, and saw the answer before mine hit in the very next
post!!

Zep77 wrote:

> i think the "peanut butter tootsie-roll like things" were the infamous
> pillsbury space food sticks.think the astronaughts really ate them??

--
Bob

Visit my web site:

"Stellini's Hero's & Turds Themepark"
http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/9871/

PaganGrrl9

Mar 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/14/99
Timothy wrote--

>I also remember a candy, where you got a candy "dip-stick" and three packets
>of candy-dust that you would dip it in... I still see that one...

Wasn't this called Lick-m-aid or something like that? I really loved it...but
I always wasted the grape dust. Does anyone remember back far enough to
remember when they went from giving you ONE lick-a-stick to TWO?

Kristina
Groovalicious St.Louis Funk
http://surf.to/nicodemusjones

SisSparki

Mar 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/14/99
APPETIZERS
Squeez A Snack cheese spread (the link-tube stuff) and Snack Mate (renamed
Easy Cheese, the stuff in the can) on Triscuits, Vegetable Thins crackers,
Dixies crackers (shaped like fried chicken drumsticks) and melba toast rounds

MAIN COURSES
Fondue. Shish Kebab. Pasta with Pesto Sauce

SWEETS
Snackin' Cake, Stir N Frost Cake, Hunt's Snack Pack Pudding, Danish Go Rounds.
Tastykake's Kandy Kakes. Dessert Fondue (Mmmmmmmm! Chocolate!)

STUFF TO SIP
Tab, of course
Pepsi Light
Funny Face drink
Arctic Orange shakes (A la Mickey D.'s)
Anything tropical and frothy and coconut tasting

DECOR & SETTING
Neon tangerine tablecloth, avocado green tableware
Black Light
Fluorescent Posters
Lava Lamps
Try PET ROCKS as place cards.
***SPARKI***
"By the way, I'm real, and I'm SPARK-tacular!"

Rachel Cree

Mar 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/14/99
SNAKIN CAKE WAS THE BEST!!!!!!!!!! MIX AND BAKE ALL IN ONE CARDBOARD BOX!!!
THANK YOU FOR REMINDING ME!

mcg

Mar 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/15/99
Do they still sell "Danish Go Rounds" in other parts of the country? they
haven't in over twenty years here in the SF Bay Area. Loved those things!
Now Pop Tarts makes round pastrys, but they're not Danish Go Rounds.

SisSparki

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
OH!!!!!!!!!!!! PARTY FAVORS
Mini bottles of Hai karate and aqua velva for the gents
Lip Smackers for the ladies
Mood rings
iron on peace signs
WACKY PACK STICKERS

SisSparki

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
Another appetizer type nosh was Cheez Kisses, tiny pieces of process cheese
food wrapped to look like candy kisses ("instead of Sweets n Stuff" was the
slogan) They were a standby in my school lunch box when I was a wee lass. As
were untoasted Choc Fudge Pop Tarts and the space stick thingees, which were
really a nutritional enhancer with vitamins and protein and they were DELISH.
But I ate them at the time they were renamed Food Sticks because space fever
had waned. Call em what u wish, they were delish delish delish.

SisSparki

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
MORE STUFF TO SIP
Remember those bright colored punch type beverages called SUN DEW???? They came
in round plastic containers with straws and were sweet enough to rot your teeth
on contact! My cousins and i loved em when we were younguns. (My aunt bought
them for us!) I liked the red best!!!!! Nowadays i prefer REAL fruit juice, but
when you're five, you don't have Clue One about Thing A.
Another sippin' treat from my childhood were mixed fruit beverages from
Motts called AM (an apple-orange blend) and PM (a grape-cherry blend) Yummy
drinks!! A fave when I was in kindergarten! DELISHHHH.
MEMORIES CAN BE SO TASTY

mg

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
Okay, how about Fizzies? They were like fruit-flavored Alka Seltzer you
dropped in tap water to make a carbonated beverage. Tasted terrible, but as
a kid, you loved the gimmick. They made a comeback a while ago, but didn't
seem to catch on.

And how about those fruit syrups in little wax bottles?

Nļ©k Šäńgė®

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99

To the contrary. Try http://www.fizzies.com

Raphael

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99

Rachel Cree wrote in message ...

>What about that processed cheese that came in a wiener like tube.. you
>pierced the middle where a little circle was and squeezed it out.
>what about candy necklaces.. the kind you'd have around your neck and in
>your mouth as you biked down the street... garbage pail candy.. 25 cent
>chocolate bars.. bar six...

Bar Six!!! I remember those. Actually, my mother absolutely REFUSED to buy
them. There'd been a tv commercial where the kid asks the dad why it's
called a Bar Six. The father proceeds to count off each piece, eating it on
the kid. The commercial ended with the kid sadly saying "Bar None, thank
you Daddy". My mother used to get SO enraged at that ad "That big boob ate
that little kid's bar!".

They had wafers and chocolate, right?

Erin ">
(who remembers going to the A&W drive in at the bottom of the street
(hamburger joint), with $0.25, buying a hamburger, then going to the corner
store for a bag of potato chips with the change <G>)

Raphael

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99

>Wasn't this called Lick-m-aid or something like that? I really loved
it...but
>I always wasted the grape dust. Does anyone remember back far enough to
>remember when they went from giving you ONE lick-a-stick to TWO?

Heh, yeah, I remember that. Also remember when Hostess tried their hand at
Grape, Cherry and Orange flavoured POTATO CHIPS. Chips coated in Kool
Aid...SO GROSS....

Erin ">
(love this NG!!!)

Duquette Vick Pray Marotta Family

Mar 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/21/99
they've got a version of that out now, with a foot shaped lick m type stick.
It's a foot shaped sugar thingy on a lollipop stick, and the old fashion
powder like we remember is in the bag with pop rocks type candy mixed in.
They're pretty good, tried a bag of it once with my kids.

Also got to try poprocks while drinking soda (which I wasn't brave enuf to
try as a kid, I believed all of the Urban Legends) with my husband a couple
of months back, y'all should try it, its fun, definitely something you won't
forget. We're trying to convince the kids to try it, but I think they are
still convinced pop rocks alone are deadly. And while we're on the subject,
they didn't have watermelon flavor poprocks when I was a kid, YICK!!!!!
min

Raphael <raphe...@sprint.ca> wrote in message

Bob Stell

Mar 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/22/99
This reminds me...in 1997 I dated the secretary to the vice president of
interstate Brands when I lived in Kansas City (they own hostess) anyway, they
have these "scientists" who all they do is come up with food ideas like
that...I got to be a guinea pig for several Hostess things, some made it, most
didn't, but it was fun.