How do memories from the 70's make you feel?

Rufus T. Firefly

Sep 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/9/97

Dave Block wrote:

> How do the old memories make you feel? For me, I was born in 1966, so
> by 1976 I was only 10, but for me they were represented by sunny skies
> and no worries. Even though the political situation within the US
> during the first years of the 70's was tumultuous, I remember it as a
> very relaxed period. Can anyone who was perhaps a bit older shed some
> light on what it was like for you?

Lessee... a few memories per year..

1970. 6th grader. First mention of the word 'Bicentennial'. Monterey
(California's first capitol) celibrated it's 200th bday. Many parades,
picnics, civic celebrations. A song called 'Sugar Sugar' would never
go away.

1971. On to Jr. high. Hello teenaged years. Got a paper route,
delivered 90 or so papers. Still collected the money from the
subscribers, 2.50 per month.

1972. One of the lone Nixon supporters. Enjoyed razzing liberal
librarian in jest (she was the first person I knew to use the 'Ms.'
title)

1973. Discovered head shops. Favorite poster: six panel cartoon of a
person who just smoked dope and his head was melting through his
hands, titled "Stoned Again". Tore down the one of the hanging cat
with "Hang in there, baby".

1974. Favorite beverage: 16 oz Coca-Cola in a non returnable bottle.
Cost $.22

1975. Geekdom rules! Soldering skills make friends when CB craze
starts, offering to repair microphones, etc. in return of friendship.

1976. Another mention of the 'B' word. Even my HS Diploma has that
Liberty Bell styled "76" logo on it.

1977. First car. 1967 VW Beetle. Yes, a 6'6" guy in a VW!

1978. Discover beer. Yippee!

1979. First REAL job. Cable TV Installer. Ponytail required. 12
channels for $11 per month.

1980. (Aww, avoid the 'decade begins/ends' bit) Marriage! Living on my
own!

Unshure of dates, worried about 'The War', but that ended, then
worried about the draft, but THAT ended. Music went from Bubblegum to
some horrible stuff called Disco. The CB crowd leaned me toward
country music, I went halfway and stuck on that Willon & Waylee stuff
called 'outlaws'. Built many model cars. Built a pirate radio station
(KRAP, 1060 AM). Cop friend taught me how to drive drunk. Planned to
become a Deadhead.

(forgetting the fighting parents, broken hearts, friends that died in
accidents, etc.)

--
David Palmer Monterey, CA
The Tall Conspiracy is looking for members. Please see the

Dave Block

Dixon Hayes

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97

Dave Block <db...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<5v4rs2$s...@sjx-ixn9.ix.netcom.com>...

> How do the old memories make you feel?

> Even though the political situation within the US

> during the first years of the 70's was tumultuous, I remember it as a
> very relaxed period. Can anyone who was perhaps a bit older shed some
> light on what it was like for you?

I guess I should distinguish between memories and nostalgia. Memories to
me are stark realism,while nostalgia is just the part I want to remember.

The memories are not always good. This was the decade I started wearing
glasses, gained weight, felt self-conscious. My parents divorced in 1973;
they remarried and divorced again (other people) within a few years. This
was probably the last decade where people took political problems (Vietnam,
Watergate) so personally and emotionally it affected relationships and
spoiled otherwise civilized conversation. I don't miss that a bit.

But then again, this was the decade where I came of age, so there's always
going to be some pain involved somehow. A first love, perhaps, in grade
school. The walk down the road to the convenience store, to buy those
Marathon candy bars and that other stuff we talk about. My more nostalgic
memories seem for some reason to involve dew in the mornings, bare feet and
tank tops by the time the sun went down, air conditioning on really hot
days; a radio always playing--usually a really dumb song like "Run, Dusty
Run" or some country ballad like "Behind Closed Doors." The TV might be
on, playing cartoons in the afternoon, Walter Cronkite while we ate supper
and something like "Happy Days" or "All in the Family" at night.

Watergate, inflation, the so-called energy crisis, Three Mile Island--that
all went by in a blurry gray for some reason. The more colorful part is
the nostalgia. That's the part I remember. The other things happened in
black and white, I guess. I don't have sounds, tastes, smells, or colorful
sights associated with those.

I have precious few memories of the 60's (I was born in 1964), and my
memories of the 80's are not so complex or numerous, for some reason. The
70s will always be a decade where I lost a fierce battle against growing up
too fast. Perhaps that's why I held on to those memories and guarded them
with my life.

Dixon Hayes

Ghost of Quentin Collins

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97

I was born in 1965 and I remember the 1970's as a laid-back and peaceful
time as well! When I think of 1975, I think of hot summer nights, Elton
John, kickball, swimming, the movie "TOMMY", my first year to play
organized football, summer church camp, being a uncle!, ahh the memories!

Rufus T. Firefly <dpa...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<3416355E...@ix.netcom.com>...

> Dave Block wrote:
> >
> > How do the old memories make you feel? For me, I was born in 1966, so
> > by 1976 I was only 10, but for me they were represented by sunny skies

> > and no worries. Even though the political situation within the US

> > during the first years of the 70's was tumultuous, I remember it as a
> > very relaxed period. Can anyone who was perhaps a bit older shed some
> > light on what it was like for you?

greg841

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97

Having grown up from 5th grade through my second year at Penn State
during that time, I have very vivid memories.

A first girlfriend, first job, first car, high school graduation, summer
bike riding on country roads, summer cruising with high school friends
on weekend nights, CB radio, punk rock, first work in radio....its
almost impossible to single out any one thing! What I do know is that
there was so much good, anytime I hear a song from that time, I find
myself thinking back and feeling very lucky!

Greg

--
"Vision is the art of seeing things invisible"
--- Jonathan Swift

Visit the Greg Lachs Links Page!
http://www.concentric.net/~greg841

Mav

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97

Dave Block wrote:

> How do the old memories make you feel? For me, I was born in 1966, so
> by 1976 I was only 10, but for me they were represented by sunny skies
> and no worries. Even though the political situation within the US
> during the first years of the 70's was tumultuous, I remember it as a
> very relaxed period. Can anyone who was perhaps a bit older shed some
> light on what it was like for you?
>
> Dave

Well...

76 was a cool year. I was 15, spent part of the summer at Philmont
scout camp hiking through the mountains. The rest of the summer was
spent finding excuses to drive on a restiricted (until 16) drivers
license, usually to the pool before work. With all of the Bi-centennial
stuff happening during the summer, it always seemed like there was
a reason to celebrate. At 15, girls were an extremely interesting
(and time consuming) excuse to be out running around.

I bought a 65 Mustang that summer, and I have very strong memories
of what it felt like just to cruise. We probably did some things
that we shouldn't have, but for the most part cruising all night
was all that we needed. We would stop and compare cars and tall
tales, or to talk to some girls that would stop off of the main drag.
It was a big deal to trade passengers with a car full of girls so that
you were coupled the rest of the night while cruising. Maybe I was
weird or something, but during that summer and a few after that, I
didn't want to get any older. I felt like a character out of
a California b-movie full of cars and girls. Man, we had it made...

--

Mav

Martin Sagara

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

Dave Block (db...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:

: How do the old memories make you feel?

Couldn't resist posting to this one ;^)

I was in high school in Denver, CO from 1973-1976 which made me a
member of the Bicentennial Class of '76.

IMHO, the 70's were really a great time to "grow-up". Most of the
unrest of the '60s had dissipated and the "dark times" that we
currently face were still in the future. There was a lot of
benign fun to be had, goofy but fun pop music (a la The Captain
and Tennile), good movies, good TV, great mechanical (as opposed
to electronic) pinball machines, and DISCO!

There was not a big problem with AIDS (although Legionaires Disease
was a big concern), drive-by shootings, child abductions, traffic,
e-coli contaminated beef, high cholesterol, and you could still go
out drinking and drive home OK (Yeah right!).

I have very fond memories of the 70's and when I think back to
that time, I find that more major events that have shaped my life
and attitude happened during that time than in the '80s and '90s.

I miss the '70s!

Martin
"Stuck In The Seventies"
msa...@rmii.com

Dona ~<^>~

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

Dave Block <db...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<5v4rs2$s...@sjx-ixn9.ix.netcom.com>...
> How do the old memories make you feel? For me, I was born in 1966, so
> by 1976 I was only 10, but for me they were represented by sunny skies
> and no worries. Even though the political situation within the US
> during the first years of the 70's was tumultuous, I remember it as a
> very relaxed period. Can anyone who was perhaps a bit older shed some
> light on what it was like for you?
>
> Dave

I was born in 1961, if someone reminds me of a particular item in the 70's,
then I can rememer a little about that item. My best times have been the
90's, major improvements and enjoyments. I like where I'm at now. I read
the posts in this NG and the 80's to continuely see which ones I have more
memory in common with.

nas...@mindspring.com

Sep 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/23/97

I was born in 1959 so the 70's was when I really grew up !!!
Lets see, What do I remember:
The smell of a new day, Going to school and smoking across the street
and getting caught by the Asst Principle. Basketball all day long, My
first dance, ( I didnt know how so I just jiggled around) Camping out
in my back yard the whole summer of 1974. Driving my dads Corvair.
Going to Skate Town on Friday nights. My first kiss with Gilda ?
behind Hunters Trading Post ( local country store). Elton John,
C.S.N.Y.. Watching Billy Jack at the movies. Watching the Poseidon
Adventure with Wendy my 5th cousin and playing around. My first love
Yvonne. She was a red head, What a girl!! Getting my long hair cut so
my dad could flex his authority over me and losing Yvonne because of
it !! She was fickle wasnt she?? Playing Football in the yard of the
local church while it was snowing and getting scrapped up diving for
the ball. My best friends Billy Weaver and Jay Brammer. Swinging from
a vine of a fallen tree in the woods behind my house. My mother
leaving my father and not seeing her for 6 months. ( I was 14 then )
So Many Many More that make me feel so good and some that make me sad.
I am considered a person living in the past. I find myself drawn to
where I was raised. I take my childen there now then and tell them all
my stories about the people I knew then.I remember a guy up the street
from us whose dad put a drink machine in his front yard and us kids
meeting there late at night drinking colas and telling lies. The warm
concrete under your feet at night. The 70's were the greatest time and
I wish my children could have grown up then but alas............. I
will post more when I think about more memories. These will last me a
couple days I am sure... Thanks for the original post

On Wed, 10 Sep 1997 01:05:26 GMT, db...@ix.netcom.com (Dave Block)

Mavarla

Sep 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/25/97

Hi, Dave and Mav...another Mav here, but an older one...and a female one
(at least, I think that's what they told me I was supposed to act like):

The 70s? '76, in particular?...yup---it was "Bicentennial Bonanzaville"
everywhere ya looked...red, white and blue---in every direction and comin'
at you...the Viet Nam War had pretty much come to a close...the "boat
people" emigrated to the states before the Commies totally took over and
the Vets were just starting to develop their "crazed, shell-shock" and
"postal" stereotypes.

Television smelled---bigtime---but, what else is new? Norman Lear was the
"King of The Prime Time Sitcom," ("Maude" was the "Roseanne of The 70s"),
Mary Tyler Moore was ditsying around in a newsroom as a slightly
emancipated "Laura Petrie" character (can't remember, if indeed, this was
her name on the old "Dick Van Dyke Show," seems to ring a bell..."petrie,"
yeah---wotta dish), and the nation was all awash in der greenin' of
America...it was pretty freakin' ass corny, if ya ask me...

Our goofball extraordinaire, but lovable "Pinky" Prez, Gerald "The Bored"
Ford (who'd supplanted "Brain"), was about to hand it over to the peanut
farmer from Jawja...ERA was at its height of social re-evaluation between
the sexes and everybody, from kids on up, to the grown-ups---of either
sexes---were wearin' each other's clothes...'cept for the really old
farts...hell, don't think we talked Grandma into wearin' slacks 'til 1985
or so...EEO ushered in the whole "politically correct" kit and kaboodle: It
was okay to be whoever and whatever ya were: Fag, dyke, "sensitive" male,
ballsy-broad, black, white, Mex'cn, yeller (well, uh---sorta), red, young,
ugly---as matter of fact, ugly was *totally* "in," and I even think the
"Grey Panthers" had their beginnings in the decade...not too sure of the
exact year, though.

The '70s was also the decade that country western people done turned
"hippie." Back in the '60s, they were all clean-shaven, all had crewcuts,
flat-tops or pompadours w/big-ass 'burns and stuff and they hated the
longhair/cowboy look which the "pervert hippies" sported and by golly, if
all o' them s--tkickers just don't LQQK like them pervert hippies,
themselves, now!!!

Ain't life a hoot?

The kids were all wearing "Underoos," (remember, "the undaweah dat's
funtaweah"), watching "The Brady Bunch," and "The Six Million Dollar Man"
and all of the little girls wanted to grow up to be "Wonder Woman" or "The
Bionic Woman."

If the Eagles, Linda Ronstadt and all things disco weren't ruling the Top
40 airwaves, Barry Manilow and Elton John, were. It was pretty much of a
big "party" for everybody---except for me, who was bored as hell and pretty
much depressed most of the time (or so I thought, until this time last
year, when I realized that the '80s---that decade where I'd THOUGHT I'd
been having all kinds of carefree fun, in actuality, has revealed itself to
have smelled even a thousand times *worse* than the '70s *ever* could've).

Ain't life a hoot?