Favorite Christmas Song????

已查看 1 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Oil Impressionist

未读,
1999年10月29日 03:00:001999/10/29
收件人
What's your favorite Christmas Song? Classic Rocker and I are taking a
poll. You pick doesn't have to be from the 70s; just ANY Christmas
song!

DLN Oil Impressionist
9-61
Still rockin' - with Classic Rocker - after twenty years!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

step...@timken.com

未读,
1999年10月29日 03:00:001999/10/29
收件人
No contest. The David Bowie/Bing Crosby duet. I'm afraid I don't remember the
year, though...I saw a clip of it last year on another special. I can't even
begin to explain why, but that song just cuts straight through to my emotional
core. <sniff>

----
Tom

In article <7vcbnp$q8k$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>

Tricia or Howard Bray

未读,
1999年10月29日 03:00:001999/10/29
收件人
I don't know who does it, or what album it could be found on,
but our radio stations have played it every year since, oh,
probably the mid 80s (??)...

It's to the tune of 12 Days of Christmas, but it goes
something like... "The first thing at Christmas that's such
a pain to me... is finding a Christmas tree." And it goes on
and on telling about all the aggravating things about
Christmas... In-laws, hanging the lights ("One goes out, they
ALL go out!!!"), 5 months of bills, etc...

Cracks me up every year!! It's so true, and the people
singing/talking during the song do a great job!! Does anyone
else know what I'm talking about??

You're probably looking more for "traditional" songs in this
poll, but I can't narrow those down to one favorite -- I like
them all!

Tricia
July 5, 1973

step...@timken.com wrote in message <183E69D92S...@TIMKEN.COM>...

Jackie Dunbar

未读,
1999年10月29日 03:00:001999/10/29
收件人
>From: "Tricia or Howard Bray" <htb...@bigfoot.com>
>Newsgroups: alt.culture.us.1970s
>Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 11:32:19 -0400

>I don't know who does it, or what album it could be found on,
>but our radio stations have played it every year since, oh,
>probably the mid 80s (??)...
>
>It's to the tune of 12 Days of Christmas, but it goes
>something like... "The first thing at Christmas that's such
>a pain to me... is finding a Christmas tree." And it goes on
>and on telling about all the aggravating things about
>Christmas... In-laws, hanging the lights ("One goes out, they
>ALL go out!!!"), 5 months of bills, etc...
>
>Cracks me up every year!! It's so true, and the people
>singing/talking during the song do a great job!! Does anyone
>else know what I'm talking about??

Yep. its the "12 pains of Christmas" by the Bob Rivers Comedy Corp. its the 1st
cut on the album "Twisted Christmas" 1987 Critique/Atco 90671. should still be
in print.

other goodies on the album include "We wish you weren't living with us" and
"the rest room door said Gentlemen".

Sandyfour

未读,
1999年10月29日 03:00:001999/10/29
收件人
>What's your favorite Christmas Song? Classic Rocker and I are taking a
>poll. You pick doesn't have to be from the 70s; just ANY Christmas
>song!
>
>DLN Oil Impressionist
>9-61

This is hard to pick! The one that's been my favorite the longest is Silver
Bells. My favorite Christmas album is the Dean Martin one.....I love his Blue
Christmas and LET IT SNOW!!!!!!! I love snow!! : )

Sandy

Chris Siciliano

未读,
1999年10月29日 03:00:001999/10/29
收件人
That's an easy one for me "Sleigh Ride" by The Ronettes, on the famous Phil
Specter Christmas LP, "A Christmas Gift for you from Philles Records"
Oil Impressionist <oil_impr...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> What's your favorite Christmas Song? Classic Rocker and I are taking a
> poll. You pick doesn't have to be from the 70s; just ANY Christmas
> song!
>
> DLN Oil Impressionist
> 9-61

DavisK

未读,
1999年10月29日 03:00:001999/10/29
收件人
I can't really pick a song, but my favourite Christmas album is the Charlie
Brown Christmas one by the Vince Guaraldi trio. Brings back lots of
memories.

Oil Impressionist wrote in message <7vcbnp$q8k$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...

Bob the Baker

未读,
1999年10月29日 03:00:001999/10/29
收件人
OH SANDY, I just ordered Dean Martin's Christmas CD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It
hasn't come yet. You are truly my soul sister!

Nadine

Sandyfour <sand...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >What's your favorite Christmas Song? Classic Rocker and I are taking a
> >poll. You pick doesn't have to be from the 70s; just ANY Christmas
> >song!
> >
> >DLN Oil Impressionist
> >9-61

Bob the Baker

未读,
1999年10月29日 03:00:001999/10/29
收件人
My favorite Christmas song is "I'll Be Home For Christmas." It can be done
by anyone and I still love it.... Also like "Santa Claus is Back in Town"
and "Santa Bring My Baby Back to Me"--both done by Elvis..... they are the
happiest damn Christmas songs....well, the second one isn't really HAPPY, it
just makes me want to be-bop all over the place.

Also, I love to hear Dean Martin sing ANYTHING Christmas, as I said in
response to Sandy's post!

Nadine

Oil Impressionist <oil_impr...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> What's your favorite Christmas Song? Classic Rocker and I are taking a
> poll. You pick doesn't have to be from the 70s; just ANY Christmas
> song!
>
> DLN Oil Impressionist
> 9-61

LizzieZ

未读,
1999年10月29日 03:00:001999/10/29
收件人
Wow, at first I thought this was going to be easy, but then more and more songs
came to mind. The one that I look forward to every year (basically, it just
isn't the holiday season until I hear this one!) is Bruce Springsteen's
recording of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town." Besides being an all-around fun
recording, I love hearing him crack up as they get toward the end of the song!

I have also always been partial to "Sleigh Ride," "The Christmas Song" (aka
"Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire"), "Silver Bells," the entire Charlie Brown
Christmas album, and let's not forget Bob and Doug MacKenzie's interpretation
of the 12 Days of Christmas!!

Liz

Chandra

未读,
1999年10月29日 03:00:001999/10/29
收件人
It's a song we discovered recently. It's instrumental and I think it's the
music to the song O little town of bethlehem. It's by Savatage and the
song is called Christmas Eve, Sarajevo, 12:48. It's just incredibly
awesome.

Tim

Oil Impressionist wrote:

> What's your favorite Christmas Song? Classic Rocker and I are taking a
> poll. You pick doesn't have to be from the 70s; just ANY Christmas
> song!

That's easy. Every song from Elvis's Christmas Album, particularly Blue
Christmas, and Emerson, Lake and Palmer's "I Believe in Father Christmas"

Tim

Raphael

Bob the Baker wrote in message ...

>My favorite Christmas song is "I'll Be Home For Christmas." It can be done
>by anyone and I still love it.... Also like "Santa Claus is Back in Town"
>and "Santa Bring My Baby Back to Me"--both done by Elvis..... they are the
>happiest damn Christmas songs....well, the second one isn't really HAPPY,
it
>just makes me want to be-bop all over the place.

I've heard a version of "I'll Be Home For Christmas" by the Beach Boys. I
like the Beach Boys. I like "I'll be Home for Christmas"....

Combine the two, and I'll fall asleep. They drag it out so much that it
makes a good lullaby.

My thoughts...not quite on the right topic...maybe I'll post 'fave' songs
once I've read all of the posts.

Erin ">

Chandra wrote:

> It's a song we discovered recently. It's instrumental and I think it's the
> music to the song O little town of bethlehem. It's by Savatage and the
> song is called Christmas Eve, Sarajevo, 12:48. It's just incredibly
> awesome.

Is there a .wav file of that anywhere? Sounds interesting.

Tim

Raphael

未读,
1999年10月29日 03:00:001999/10/29
收件人

Oil Impressionist wrote in message <7vcbnp$q8k$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...
>What's your favorite Christmas Song? Classic Rocker and I are taking a
>poll. You pick doesn't have to be from the 70s; just ANY Christmas
>song!

Hmm...ones I like, huh?

Ok, I've got the "TV Family Christmas" CD, and while "Can't you see it's
gonna be a Howdy Doody Christmas?" can grate <G>, I love "Christmas is My
Time of Year" by the Monkees or "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" by the
Partridge Family. (thankfully, the Brady Bunch's contribution is "Rudolph"
and not "Frothty the Thnowman").

But Alvin & The Chipmunks Chrismas Song ("Me, I want a Huuuula Hoooop!")
will always take me back.

I'm doing a great job of narrowing it down, aren't I? Nope, I just cannot
pick one. Aside from the ones I've already mentioned, I like "Riu Chiu" by
the Monkees, too. And, though I'll never admit it in front of my parents,
Mario Lanza has a good Christmas Album (heh, family tradition to listen to
Mario while decorating).

Erin - who wishes she could find Al Sherman's "12 Days of Christmas"
around... "And a Japanese transistor radio" <G>

Bob the Baker

未读,
1999年10月29日 03:00:001999/10/29
收件人
Ahhhh....a man after my own heart!!!!

Nadine

Carrie I Castro

Oil Impressionist wrote:

> What's your favorite Christmas Song? Classic Rocker and I are taking a
> poll. You pick doesn't have to be from the 70s; just ANY Christmas
> song!

Since I tend to go for the classics, I would pick Oh Holy Night. And
the whole Charlie Brown Christmas album. :)

Carrie
--
Carrie I. Castro (sia...@fruitbat.org)
Mom of Alexander David Castro born 8/8/97

Beverwyk

未读,
1999年10月30日 03:00:001999/10/30
收件人
The Christmas Song...by Nat King Cole
Merry Christmas Darling...the Carpenters
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas...Judy Garland....
these songs always make me cry...

Tim

未读,
1999年10月30日 03:00:001999/10/30
收件人

It wouldn't be Christmas without Elvis. I remember curling up under the tree
on Christmas Eve with Elvis on the Sears record changer set to play over and
over and falling to sleep. That's one tradition I've passed on to my kids.

Tim

Bob the Baker wrote:

> Ahhhh....a man after my own heart!!!!

Joy910

未读,
1999年10月30日 03:00:001999/10/30
收件人
I once got a long playing tape out to make a compilation of all my favorite
song and I ended up running out of tape so I got another tape and ran out of
that one too and I still wasnt done!! I have too many to list but some of my
very favorites albums are the ones my mother got in the late 60s and very early
seventies. They were compilation albums made exclusively for and put out by
Grants and JC Penney. They are priceless to me and my sisters. I cannot
replace them and some of the songs I have never heard on radio or seen on other
compilations. Also my mom has the original Gene Autry Christmas record that
has songs on it that later versions on the same record do not have. Christmas
time is so precious to me and those records embody all that it means for me
because my mom played those records every year growing up. I made tapes of
those records, pops and cracks and all, and share them with my daughters. It
isnt Christmas until I hear those songs from those records. Great stuff. I
own 27 Christmas CDs and none are as precious as those four tapes.

Joy

Joy910

未读,
1999年10月30日 03:00:001999/10/30
收件人
Its me again. I have been very busy here tonight!! I noticed others besides
me saying they wanted the Partridge family christmas CD. I never saw it out in
the stores (that of course doesnt mean its not there, I just havent seen it at
all) So I finally did what I have been swearing to do since last Christmas. I
went to Amazon.com and ordered it!! Phew!! I am very relieved. I also ordered
the Osmond Christmas CD even though its an edited version from the original
record and some of my fave songs didnt make it on the CD. Well, I feel better
now!! If all else fails, I recommend Amazon if you cant find it anywhere else.

Joy

Richard R. Priest

未读,
1999年10月30日 03:00:001999/10/30
收件人

I always get a kick out of the barking-dog jingle bells!

That ought to be easy to do with today's sampling technology.

Dixon Hayes

未读,
1999年10月30日 03:00:001999/10/30
收件人
>No contest. The David Bowie/Bing Crosby duet. I'm afraid I don't remember the
>year, though

1977...it came from Bing's last Christmas special, taped just before his death
and shown posthumously...

Dixon
"If there's anything that upsets me it's having people say I'm sensitive!"
--Barney Fife

Dixon Hayes

未读,
1999年10月30日 03:00:001999/10/30
收件人
>"The first thing at Christmas that's such
>a pain to me... is finding a Christmas tree." And it goes on
>and on telling about all the aggravating things about
>Christmas..

Yes, I know the one. One of the singers is supposed to be Archie Bunker...

Oil Impressionist wrote:

>You pick doesn't have to be from the 70s; just ANY Christmas
>song!

Dont' have to be from the 70's? Then my pick is "Christmas (Baby Please Come
Home)" by Darlene Love.

If it *does* have to be from the 70s, then I would go with "Someday at
Christmas" by Stevie Wonder. In 1989 I edited a video essay of this one for my
TV station, composed of clips of communism falling in various countries (i.e.,
the Berlin Wall coming down).

In article <19991030022427...@ng-da1.aol.com>,

dixon...@aol.comspamless (Dixon Hayes) wrote:
> Oil Impressionist wrote:
>
> >You pick doesn't have to be from the 70s; just ANY Christmas
> >song!
>
> Dont' have to be from the 70's? Then my pick is "Christmas (Baby
Please Come
> Home)" by Darlene Love.
>
> If it *does* have to be from the 70s, then I would go with "Someday at
> Christmas" by Stevie Wonder. In 1989 I edited a video essay of this
one for my
> TV station, composed of clips of communism falling in various
countries (i.e.,
> the Berlin Wall coming down).

Wow, that's heavy! And you and Larry have similar Christmas song
taste! Christmas song tastes? Christmas songs taste? You know what I
mean!

Wow, all of you are coming up with GREAT titles! Keep 'em comin', cuz
we're gonna actually DO something cool with this thread in December!

DLN Oil Impressionist
9-61

--

recsec

未读,
1999年10月30日 03:00:001999/10/30
收件人

Oil Impressionist <oil_impr...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> What's your favorite Christmas Song? Classic Rocker and I are taking a
> poll. You pick doesn't have to be from the 70s; just ANY Christmas
> song!
>
> DLN Oil Impressionist
> 9-61

> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Still rockin' - with Classic Rocker - after twenty years!
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Boy here goes. Please go inside the thread. If just any Christmas song then
ya gotta rock. Right?? Run Run Rudolph by Chuck Berry!! Also Merry Christmas
Baby by Elvis. Very bluesy that one.
recsec

Jamie McErlean

未读,
1999年10月30日 03:00:001999/10/30
收件人
You can find the Savatage Christmas Eve clip at
http://www.savatage.com/songs/songs.shtml (I just found it... and
they are quite impressive)

Now back to the subject...

My favorite Christmas song is Christmas Time Again by Extreme
tied with Bing and David (Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy...
not sure what it's official name is)

It's hard to pick a favourite.. there are so many.

For fun I like...

12 Days of Christmas - Bob and Doug Mackenzie
Little Saint Nick - Beach Boys

Jamie

Bob the Baker

未读,
1999年10月30日 03:00:001999/10/30
收件人
I guess I've kind of done the same thing with my daughter....once it gets
close to the Christmas season, I pull out "If Everyday Was Like Christmas"
by Elvis (a collection of most of his Christmas tunes) and she listens to
that when she goes to bed each night....over and over... A nice way to go
to sleep...

Nadine

Tim <tben...@usit.net> wrote in message news:381A5DC5...@usit.net...

Rachel Cree

未读,
1999年10月30日 03:00:001999/10/30
收件人
I must admit first that due to working in retail the last 11 years ( not
this year though!) I grew to not like Christmas so much...then my father
passed away just after Christmas two years ago so I pretty much despised
Christmas but there are a few songs that I hit rewind for...

Last Christmas ( Wham!)... no laughing lol
O come all ye faithful (Frankie S)
Coventry Carol
Angels we have heard on High

All kinda 'churchy' but I like the harmonies... I used to sing the
Gloooooria in excelis deo part of Angels when I was a kid in a kinda blur
because I loved it but didn't know the words.. made up my own lol

Jason LeBouef

Oil Impressionist wrote:

> What's your favorite Christmas Song? Classic Rocker and I are taking a
> poll. You pick doesn't have to be from the 70s; just ANY Christmas
> song!
>
> DLN Oil Impressionist
> 9-61

Rockin' Around The Christmas tree. We have the 45 and we play it every
year :o)

Jason LeBouef

未读,
1999年10月30日 03:00:001999/10/30
收件人
We also have the Pat Boone Family Christmas album. Kind of an obscure
record but it brings back memories of Christmas from my childhood..

Hmm.. Now where's my 1976 Wish Book :o)

Santa Claus

未读,
1999年10月30日 03:00:001999/10/30
收件人
In article <7vcbnp$q8k$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Oil Impressionist <oil_impr...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> What's your favorite Christmas Song? Classic Rocker and I are taking
> poll. You pick doesn't have to be from the 70s; just ANY Christmas
> song!
>
> DLN Oil Impressionist
> 9-61
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Still rockin' - with Classic Rocker - after twenty years!
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ho! Ho! HO!

What a great thread! Don't know which song to put on first. The
elves, unofficially of course, would put Bing & Bowie's 'Little Drummer
Boy' and ELP's 'Father Christmas' right up top. Lennon's 'So this is
Christmas/War is Over' is another great song, although its more of a
New Years song I find. Of course, any songs from 'the Grinch' are
always favourites around here.

If anyone could possibly need anything more to put them in the
Christmas spirit, there's a wonderful collection of kids Letters to
Santa at the EmailSanta site (Santa makes no money from this site --
the letters were just too great not to share. Had radio stations from
Alaska to Delaware and newspapers from NY Times to San Diego calling to
get more. Ended up putting out a daily 'press release' of Santa's Top
Letters that we'll have to do again this year).

Anyway, looking at all the song titles and thinking of the letters has
certainly put everyone here into the Christmas spirit. I'll have to
sneak a few cookies in between the Hallowe'en candy (*wink*)!

Merry Christmas!

Santa Claus
Hea...@EmailSanta.com www.EmailSanta.com
EmailSanta proudly supports children's helplines worldwide

Robert Carson

未读,
1999年10月30日 03:00:001999/10/30
收件人
Here are my favorite christmas songs:
Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy- Bing Crosby/David Bowie- Beautiful
song made more poignant because it was recorded just before Bing died.
Do They Know It's Christmas?- Band Aid- Important song that raised money
for starving in Africa and which became the catalyst for We Are the
World, Live Aid, etc....
The Christmas Song-Both the Nat King
Cole and Natalie Cole versions.
Merry Chistmas, Darling-The Carpenters

rmc

Raphael wrote:

> Erin - who wishes she could find Al Sherman's "12 Days of Christmas"
> around... "And a Japanese transistor radio" <G>

Erin,

I just got this on cd! Allan Sherman's "My Son, the Greatest". Amazon
has it in stock. :)

Carrie
(who also enjoys Weird Al's "Christmas at Ground Zero")

Oil Impressionist

未读,
1999年10月31日 02:00:001999/10/31
收件人
In article <381B2D46...@bellsouth.net>,
Jason LeBouef <jleb...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Oil Impressionist wrote:
>
> > What's your favorite Christmas Song? Classic Rocker and I are
taking a
> > poll. You pick doesn't have to be from the 70s; just ANY Christmas
> > song!
> >
> > DLN Oil Impressionist
> > 9-61
>
> Rockin' Around The Christmas tree. We have the 45 and we play it
every
> year :o)

Which version of Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree, Jason? Since you
said it was a 45, we're assuming you mean Brenda Lee. Is that right?
Or someone else?

DLN Oil Impressionist
9-61
Still rockin' - with Classic Rocker - after twenty years!

Oil Impressionist

未读,
1999年10月31日 02:00:001999/10/31
收件人
Hi guys! Larry and I wanted to let you all know we sent the following
e-mail as a reply:

Dear Santa,

My husband and I would like to send our thanks to you for your great
reply to our survey/post in the alt.culture.us.1970s Newsgroup.
After all the years of writing to you when we were little, we always
knew you would answer us someday. (I'm 38 years old, but I'm balling
my eyes out as I write this to you! I still believe in you, Santa!)
Your choices for songs were great too. You really made our thread
something special with your letter. Thank you so much. Merry Christmas!

Oil Impressionist & Classic Rocker from the 70s Newsgroup

DLN Oil Impressionist
9-61

In article <7vfr57$65p$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Kelly

未读,
1999年10月31日 02:00:001999/10/31
收件人

Tim <tben...@usit.net> wrote in message news:381A2F54...@usit.net...

> That's easy. Every song from Elvis's Christmas Album, particularly Blue
> Christmas, and Emerson, Lake and Palmer's "I Believe in Father Christmas"
>
> Tim

"I Believe In Father Christmas" has to be my favorate. It brings tears to my
eyes. I also love "Come Home For Christmas" by the Eagles.

Kelly

JoKisLany

未读,
1999年10月31日 02:00:001999/10/31
收件人
At the top of my list are ELP's "Father Christmas" and Band-Aid's "Feed the
World", Amy Grant's two: "Emmanuel" and "O Little Town of Bethlehem".

But my REAL favorite is a very, very obscure version of "Mary's Boy-Child" that
gets frequent radio air-play in Richmond, VA every X-mas on the am station WRVA
1140. It's the Harry Belafonte song done by a choir in either Jamaica or the
Bahamas. It's got bongo drums and is very danceable. It was recorded in the
60's or 70's and I have never seen it in stores. It has a groovy
counter-melody sung by this almost robot-like voice that's very deep. does
ANYONE have any idea what I'm talking about??

Noelle

Santa Claus

未读,
1999年10月31日 02:00:001999/10/31
收件人
In article <7vgq7k$pn1$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

ho! Ho! HO!!

Thank you for *your* letter Oil Impressionist! Sorry that it took so
long to write back (38 years! *wink*) but at least with the Internet
Santa can now catch up on some of his correspondence.

The elves really liked the thread and were wondering whether you would
mind if they 'borrowed' your idea and added a similar poll to the
website (hopefully it can be squeezed in for this year). They were
also talking about adding polls for favourite animated Christmas shows,
movies etc. etc. You've gotten them all excited about Christmas!
(Although usually its only visions of sugar plums dancing in their
heads! ho! Ho! HO!!) Of course, Santa's favourite poll would be the
one about the best cookies! (*wink*!)

Oil Impressionist wrote:

> In article <381B2D46...@bellsouth.net>,
> Jason LeBouef <jleb...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> > Oil Impressionist wrote:
> >
> > > What's your favorite Christmas Song? Classic Rocker and I are
> taking a
> > > poll. You pick doesn't have to be from the 70s; just ANY Christmas
> > > song!
> > >
> > > DLN Oil Impressionist
> > > 9-61
> >
> > Rockin' Around The Christmas tree. We have the 45 and we play it
> every
> > year :o)
> >

> Which version of Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree, Jason? Since you
> said it was a 45, we're assuming you mean Brenda Lee. Is that right?
> Or someone else?

Sorry, it was Brenda Lee on the good old Decca label. flip side was Papa
Noel

Andrew Stewart

未读,
1999年10月31日 02:00:001999/10/31
收件人
It has to be David Bowie and Bing Crosby doing "Peace On Earth/Little
Drummer Boy". When I first heard of its existence, I was utterly
horrified at the prospect, I just couldn't see the two voices going
together at all, and then when I heard it, I was blown away by how
well it worked.

I doubt there's ever been a duet of two more dissimilar artists, and
yet for some mad reason, it worked perfectly.

(np: David Bowie - Hours...)
____________________________
"In 1999, there are those too young to remember British Rail, tenbob notes
or the time you could uy a new David Bowie album without a creeping sense of
dread. We may be stuck with privatised railways and decimal currency, but
the Dame's latest long-player is, delightfully, just as good as they used to be.
'hours...' is a richly textured and emotionally vivid set....
This time around, Bowie sounds influenced by nobody except himself, and he couldn't have picked a better role model."

Q review of "hours...", David Bowie's new album.

Free money! $20 a month for doing what you're doing right now - check out http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=BMX577

To join 1300 fans receiving a free monthly BOWIE newsletter, send a message
to bowie...@hotmail.com with the subject "Subscribe"
For copies of back issues, check out http://www.angelfire.com/al/bowienews/

Joy910

未读,
1999年10月31日 02:00:001999/10/31
收件人
Does anyone remember Jim Nabors version of Jingle Bells? Great song for me.
Also O Holy Night by Robert Goulet. Every Christmas after everyone else goes
to bed I turn off all the lights except the tree and play that O Holy Night.
That song in that setting is very moving for me.

Joy

On 30 Oct 1999 06:20:41 GMT, dixon...@aol.comspamless (Dixon Hayes)
wrote:

>>No contest. The David Bowie/Bing Crosby duet. I'm afraid I don't remember the
>>year, though
>
>1977...it came from Bing's last Christmas special, taped just before his death
>and shown posthumously...

Yeah, that makes it all the more eerie. Eerier still is that around
the same time, Bowie appeared on two other TV shows in the UK, Marc
Bolan's and Kenny Everett. Marc Bolan also died (in a car accident)
before the Bowie episode aired, and Kenny Everett later died too. So
for about a month there, it seemed like Bowie had the angel of death
hovering over him and everyone he worked with died shortly afterwards.

(np: Best Of Bowie 69/74)

Oil Impressionist

未读,
1999年11月1日 03:00:001999/11/1
收件人
In article <7vig1n$s6f$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
Santa Claus <Hea...@EmailSanta.com> wrote:

> ho! Ho! HO!!
>
> Thank you for *your* letter Oil Impressionist! Sorry that it took so
> long to write back (38 years! *wink*) but at least with the Internet
> Santa can now catch up on some of his correspondence.
>
> The elves really liked the thread and were wondering whether you would
> mind if they 'borrowed' your idea and added a similar poll to the
> website (hopefully it can be squeezed in for this year). They were
> also talking about adding polls for favourite animated Christmas
shows,
> movies etc. etc. You've gotten them all excited about Christmas!
> (Although usually its only visions of sugar plums dancing in their
> heads! ho! Ho! HO!!) Of course, Santa's favourite poll would be the
> one about the best cookies! (*wink*!)
>
> Merry Christmas!
>
> Santa Claus
> Hea...@EmailSanta.com www.EmailSanta.com
> EmailSanta proudly supports children's helplines worldwide

Certainly Santa! You may use the idea on your website. It belongs to
everyone, just as Christmas does.

By the way, your website is kewl!

DLN Oil Impressionist
9-61

Still rockin' - with Classic Rocker - after twenty years!

TrueToBrad

未读,
1999年11月1日 03:00:001999/11/1
收件人
I always enjoyed singing "Away In A Manger" during our Sunday School Christmas
Show as a kid. As a teen (geez, maybe even older), I got a kick out of
"Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" by Patsy and Elmo. When I play around with
my karaoke machine, I like to sing Perry Como's "Have Yourself A Merry Little
Christmas", Bing Crosby's "White Christmas", "Merry Christas Darling" by the
Carpenters and "I'll Be Home For Christmas"
Hard to pick just one!

Sandyfour

未读,
1999年11月1日 03:00:001999/11/1
收件人
Oh Cool!!!! I'm still listening to a tape I made from my Mom's old record!
Where did you order it from?? Was it the Heart Land Music catalog??? Betcha
can't wait to get it, Nadine. Let me know when you do, and we'll both play them
and post at the same time!! : )

Sandy

Sandyfour

未读,
1999年11月1日 03:00:001999/11/1
收件人
>I've heard a version of "I'll Be Home For Christmas" by the Beach Boys. I
>like the Beach Boys. I like "I'll be Home for Christmas"....

ooooo....I love the Beach Boys, Erin!

Sandy

Sandyfour

未读,
1999年11月1日 03:00:001999/11/1
收件人
>ho! Ho! HO!
>
>What a great thread! Don't know which song to put on first. The
>elves, unofficially of course, would put Bing & Bowie's 'Little Drummer
>Boy' and ELP's 'Father Christmas' right up top. Lennon's 'So this is
>Christmas/War is Over' is another great song, although its more of a
>New Years song I find. Of course, any songs from 'the Grinch' are
>always favourites around here.
>
>If anyone could possibly need anything more to put them in the
>Christmas spirit, there's a wonderful collection of kids Letters to
>Santa at the EmailSanta site (Santa makes no money from this site --
>the letters were just too great not to share. Had radio stations from
>Alaska to Delaware and newspapers from NY Times to San Diego calling to
>get more. Ended up putting out a daily 'press release' of Santa's Top
>Letters that we'll have to do again this year).
>
>Anyway, looking at all the song titles and thinking of the letters has
>certainly put everyone here into the Christmas spirit. I'll have to
>sneak a few cookies in between the Hallowe'en candy (*wink*)!
>
>Merry Christmas!
>
>Santa Claus

WOW, Dawna and Larry!..... Your thread was so awesome even SANTA had to
respond!! I'm so glad you guys are here! : )

Sandy

Bob the Baker

未读,
1999年11月1日 03:00:001999/11/1
收件人
Just received it on Saturday...I ordered it from Columbia House. I love
it!!!!!! Especially his version of "Silver Bells." I'm just a sap.....I
even want Dean's song "Innamorata" to be the first song played at my wedding
reception (first dance.) The most romantic song ever recorded......... of
course, not sure why I'm planning this wedding reception. :-)

Nadine

Sandyfour <sand...@aol.com> wrote in message

Santa Claus

未读,
1999年11月2日 03:00:001999/11/2
收件人
In article <7vjf0l$g3q$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
Oil Impressionist <oil_impr...@my-deja.com> wrote:
<snippage>

> By the way, your website is kewl!
>
> DLN Oil Impressionist
> 9-61
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Still rockin' - with Classic Rocker - after twenty years!
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ho! Ho! HO!!

Thank you for the kind words! (Of course you wouldn't be saying that
just to stay on the 'Nice List' would you? *wink*)

Merry Christmas!

Santa Claus

Hea...@EmailSanta.com www.EmailSanta.com
EmailSanta proudly supports children's helplines worldwide

Tiny Dancer

未读,
1999年11月2日 03:00:001999/11/2
收件人
And so the word went out from and...@hotmail.com (Andrew Stewart):

>It has to be David Bowie and Bing Crosby doing "Peace On Earth/

>Little Drummer Boy". When I first heard of its existence, I was utterly

>horrified at the prospect, I just couldn't see the two voices going
>together at all, and then when I heard it, I was blown away by how
>well it worked.

Gosh, Andrew, what a surprising choice for you ;-) Just joshing. I agree,
a truly wonderful blend of two "opposing" voices, it still makes me cry.
I would have a hard time narrowing it down so here are some faves:

Pretty Paper - Roy Orbison
An Old Christmas Card - Jim Reeves
I'll Be Home For Christmas - sung by anyone
Do You Hear What I Hear? - Harry Belafonte
A Marshmellow World - Bing Crosby
I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus - Spike Jones
Christmas In Killarney - Dennis Day
Jingle Bell Rock - Bobby Helms
Away In A Manger - Ed Ames

and just for fun, Elton John's Christmas single from the 70's, looky here,
I'm on topic! :-)

Ho, Ho, Ho (Who'd Be A Turkey At Christmas?)
Step Into Christmas

Cheers,

TD

Webmistress of The Sesame Street Lyrics Archive
http://i.am/tinyd

The Sesame Street Sounds Archive
http://members.tripod.com/Tiny_Dancer/index.html

Dixon Hayes

未读,
1999年11月2日 03:00:001999/11/2
收件人
Jason wrote:

>Sorry, it was Brenda Lee on the good old Decca label. flip side was Papa
>Noel

Sorry? What are you apologizing for? No one else can hold Brenda's coat on
that song!!!

In article <19991101144703...@ng-bj1.aol.com>,

sand...@aol.com (Sandyfour) wrote:

> WOW, Dawna and Larry!..... Your thread was so awesome even SANTA had
> respond!! I'm so glad you guys are here! : )
>
> Sandy

Well, how sweet of you to say that! We're very glad to be here, and
will hang around as long as you guys want us to. Thanks!

DLN Oil Impressionist
9-61
Still rockin' - with Classic Rocker - after twenty years!

Bob the Baker

未读,
1999年11月2日 03:00:001999/11/2
收件人
I'd forgotten about "Step Into Christmas" by Elton.... I kind of like that
one, too...... Someone mentioned "Run Rudolph Run" by Chuck Berry....what
about Keith Richards' version??? :-) Ho ho ho

Nadine

Tiny Dancer <ti...@idirect.com> wrote in message

Francis McGill

未读,
1999年11月2日 03:00:001999/11/2
收件人
Yes I do! We used this song at our church and listened to it
to hear how to sing it for midnight mass. Good choice!

JoKisLany (joki...@aol.com) wrote:
: At the top of my list are ELP's "Father Christmas" and Band-Aid's "Feed the

: Noelle

* *
* Francis McGill *
* a052...@bc.seflin.org *
* "Glory to God on High" *
* *

Tim

未读,
1999年11月3日 03:00:001999/11/3
收件人

This isn't my favorite, but I wonder why nobody has mentioned "Grandma Got Run
Over By A Reindeer". Or mabye I just missed the post.

Tim

MartiDave

未读,
1999年11月10日 03:00:001999/11/10
收件人
>>What's your favorite Christmas Song? Classic Rocker and I are taking a
>>poll. You pick doesn't have to be from the 70s; just ANY Christmas
>>song!

I just stumbled across this group of people, and I have had a wonderful time
reading all of the threads. Sometimes I laughed so hard I nearly cried. For
the record, my favorite song is Mary's Boy Child by Bony M. There are so many
good ones though!!!
Dave Spiegel

Rachel Cree

未读,
1999年11月10日 03:00:001999/11/10
收件人
Hey ... You should stay... this is the best group on the web! We may have
the occasional flame but they never amount to much .. besides, we're all
gonna meet one day-right everyone?!

Anyway... you reminded me of the Bony M Christmas album...I LOVE THAT
THING!!

Sandyfour

未读,
1999年11月10日 03:00:001999/11/10
收件人
>Hey ... You should stay... this is the best group on the web! We may have
>the occasional flame but they never amount to much .. besides, we're all
>gonna meet one day-right everyone?!

Yes, do stay!! and yes, some day we've just got to get together, guys. Hey,
maybe we should all meet in Times Square this New Years Eve! Lets,
say.....right on the corner where the ball comes down! Shouldn't be too hard
to pick each other
out. I'll be wearing a funny hat and blowing a noise maker, K? On second
thought....
well, we have to do sometime! : )

Sandy

MartiDave

未读,
1999年11月10日 03:00:001999/11/10
收件人
>Hey ... You should stay... this is the best group on the web! We may have
>the occasional flame but they never amount to much .. besides, we're all
>gonna meet one day-right everyone?!

Maybe I will hang around, being born in 1962, the 1970's were the real
formative years for me. But try explaining those years to my kids!!!!

Dave

Rachel Cree

未读,
1999年11月10日 03:00:001999/11/10
收件人
This is the one newsgroup I look forward to every day. I have been in some
horrific moods before reading the posts here but that all lifted after
reading a few. There are posts here to make you laugh, think and even get a
bit misty eyed on occasion.

MartiDave <jun...@aol.combos> wrote in message

Oil Impressionist

未读,
1999年11月11日 03:00:001999/11/11
收件人
In article <PLmW3.64947$23.25...@typ11.nn.bcandid.com>,

Hey, Dave, please do hang around. The more the merrier! I was born in
'61, so the same goes for me. (If you can explain "those years" to me,
I'll be happy to try and explain them to your kids. :-0 )

And thanks for the Christmas song idea too!

As far as all of us meeting . . . I say that whomever among us makes
their first million or wins the lottery is the one who'll pick where
and when we meet, 'cuz they'll be paying for us all to travel there!

S.J.Carras

未读,
1999年11月15日 03:00:001999/11/15
收件人

>What's your favorite Christmas Song? Classic Rocker and I are taking a
>poll. You pick doesn't have to be from the 70s; just ANY Christmas
>song!
>
>DLN Oil Impressionist
>9-61
>--
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Still rockin' - with Classic Rocker - after twenty years!
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Okay<Dawna...HERE COMES SANTA CLAUS by Ray Connfif and either Burl ives or Gene
Autry's RUDOLPH THE RED NOSED EINED. And Bing Crosby--ap0ologies to Elton
John's CANDLE IN THE WIND but milliosn of coppies both used and unusued of
vinyl will vforever be sold by WHITE CHRISTMAS.

And anything the chipmunsk did.And GRANDMA GOT RUN OVER BY E REINDEER,.

20s-to-50...@onelist.com/
buffy...@eskimo.com
For more visit www.onelist.com
[Hyperlink eliminated for the hyperlink-wise challenged.
Anyone using my name on an e-mailing list will be reported.

0 个新帖子