Where were you?

1 view

Tim

Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99

July 20, 1969 (close enough to the '70's especially since the bulk of
the Apollo program was during that decade)

Where were you and what were you doing when Apollo 11 (the Eagle LEM)
landed on the moon? When Armstrong took his first step?

I was a little fellow, but I was at home in front of the TV putting
puzzles together for both events.

Tim

LizzieZ

Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99
>Where were you and what were you doing when Apollo 11 (the Eagle LEM)
>landed on the moon? When Armstrong took his first step?

Well, I was only 11 months old for that landing, but my parents wanted to make
sure I knew that I DID see it happen, so they set me down in front of the
television for the big event! I do remember watching later missions, though,
and even as a little kid I was thoroughly fascinated by it. I wish they'd do
it again!

Liz

Tim

Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99

I was three, but I have vivid memories of my early childhood even back to late
1968. I have verified this by looking up dates of various activities of the
Vietnam war. I remember Utley with NBC, and Rather with CBS under fire talking
about specific actions. The weird thing is that I am always forgetting things
that happend just a few days back!

Tim

Chandra

Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99
I was probably asleep since I was 1 day old at the time. I've always
thought it was wonderful that I was born 7/19/69, am a cancer (moon
child) born the day before man landed on the moon and my name Chandra is
Hindu for she who outshines the moon.

Tim wrote:

> July 20, 1969 (close enough to the '70's especially since the bulk of
> the Apollo program was during that decade)
>

> Where were you and what were you doing when Apollo 11 (the Eagle LEM)
> landed on the moon? When Armstrong took his first step?

John F.

Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99
>Where were you and what were you doing when Apollo 11 (the Eagle LEM)
>landed on the moon? When Armstrong took his first step?

I was 5 and my mother had called my inside to watch this big event on TV. I had
been playing with my toy cars.

john f.
(Remove 'nospam' to reply via e-mail)

DavisK

Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99

Tim wrote in message <38449C54...@usit.net>...

>July 20, 1969 (close enough to the '70's especially since the bulk of
>the Apollo program was during that decade)
>
>Where were you and what were you doing when Apollo 11 (the Eagle LEM)
>landed on the moon? When Armstrong took his first step?

I was still swimming (I wasn't born until a few years later, around the time
of the last moon landing).

Rachel Cree

Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99
I was still a twinkle in my daddy's eye but I remember the first shuttle
mission in 1980-1.. I was in grade 4 and they wheeled TVs in to the Four
classrooms that made up our quad and we all watched it while eating popcorn
( cool teacher). We saw it take off then land a few days later. I remember
the teacher telling us that with space travel like that, nothing would ever
be the same and that we were living in a great time. It didn't quite
register with a bunch of 10 year olds though.

Tim <tben...@usit.net> wrote in message news:38449C54...@usit.net...

> July 20, 1969 (close enough to the '70's especially since the bulk of
> the Apollo program was during that decade)
>
> Where were you and what were you doing when Apollo 11 (the Eagle LEM)
> landed on the moon? When Armstrong took his first step?

Kelly

Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99
Hey, I had that birthday first! I was born on 19 July 1966.

Kelly

Chandra <gri...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> I was probably asleep since I was 1 day old at the time. I've always
> thought it was wonderful that I was born 7/19/69, am a cancer (moon
> child) born the day before man landed on the moon and my name Chandra is
> Hindu for she who outshines the moon.

John J Hogan

Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99
My dad made all 7 of us kids, me the oldest (11) watch and chided us to
remember this day.... I did.......when Challenger blew up.........What a dif a
decade makes.....

Rachel Cree wrote:

> I was still a twinkle in my daddy's eye but I remember the first shuttle
> mission in 1980-1.. I was in grade 4 and they wheeled TVs in to the Four
> classrooms that made up our quad and we all watched it while eating popcorn
> ( cool teacher). We saw it take off then land a few days later. I remember
> the teacher telling us that with space travel like that, nothing would ever
> be the same and that we were living in a great time. It didn't quite
> register with a bunch of 10 year olds though.

Oil Impressionist

Dec 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/2/99
In article <3844DF51...@ix.netcom.com>,

Chandra <gri...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> I was probably asleep since I was 1 day old at the time. I've always
> thought it was wonderful that I was born 7/19/69, am a cancer (moon
> child) born the day before man landed on the moon and my name Chandra
is
> Hindu for she who outshines the moon.

I was going to ask you if your name had to do with the stars or what
have you, because recently there was a shuttle or space probe with that
beautiful name!

Anyway, you guys don't want to get me started on the MOON! While other
kids were trading sports cards, I was memorizing who did what in orbit
when and all that. Today I can hardly contain my excitment, 'cuz the
Lander will do just that on Friday on Mars!!!! Yipee! And there's
even a microphone that will record SOUNDS from Mars. Yahooooooooooo!

Ahem. I think I'm okay now. Well, at least until the next time I
think about that!

At any rate, in case you couldn't figure it out, I was seated before
the TV for anything that had to do with the moon and space expedition.
I've even watched the Shuttle stuff on cable. :-)

Dawna - Oil Impressionist
9-61

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

DavisK

Dec 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/2/99

Rachel Cree wrote in message ...

>I was still a twinkle in my daddy's eye but I remember the first shuttle
>mission in 1980-1.. I was in grade 4 and they wheeled TVs in to the Four
>classrooms that made up our quad and we all watched it while eating popcorn
>( cool teacher). We saw it take off then land a few days later. I remember
>the teacher telling us that with space travel like that, nothing would ever
>be the same and that we were living in a great time. It didn't quite
>register with a bunch of 10 year olds though.

I think I saw that first shuttle mission into space too.

Hey, did you get to see the Enterprise space shuttle 'live'? It did a
fly-by on the back of a plane sometime in the early 80's (when I was in
Grade 5 or 6), and it passed over my school near the Scarborough Bluffs. It
was totally awesome!

I also remember being in Grade 8 English class when I heard about the
Challenger Shuttle exploding. It was so unreal. The rest of the day was a
bit hazy, because of the shock that something we thought was so stable and
safe, blew up.

Andrew Stewart

Dec 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/2/99
On Wed, 01 Dec 1999 03:58:41 GMT, Tim <tben...@usit.net> wrote:

>July 20, 1969 (close enough to the '70's especially since the bulk of
>the Apollo program was during that decade)
>
>Where were you and what were you doing when Apollo 11 (the Eagle LEM)
>landed on the moon? When Armstrong took his first step?
>
>I was a little fellow, but I was at home in front of the TV putting
>puzzles together for both events.

I was little too, sitting at home watching the coverage on TV totally
enthralled. Also, I didn't know it at the time, but I was also hearing
David Bowie for the first time, because the music the BBC used as
background was "Space Oddity". I didn't become a Bowie fan until three
years later though, when he released Ziggy Stardust.

(np: Best Of Bowie 69/74)
____________________________
"In 1999, there are those too young to remember British Rail, tenbob notes
or the time you could uy a new David Bowie album without a creeping sense of
dread. We may be stuck with privatised railways and decimal currency, but
the Dame's latest long-player is, delightfully, just as good as they used to be.
'hours...' is a richly textured and emotionally vivid set....
This time around, Bowie sounds influenced by nobody except himself, and he couldn't have picked a better role model."

Q review of "hours...", David Bowie's new album.

Free money! $20 a month for doing what you're doing right now - check out http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=BMX577

To join 1300 fans receiving a free monthly BOWIE newsletter, send a message
to bowie...@hotmail.com with the subject "Subscribe"
For copies of back issues, check out http://www.angelfire.com/al/bowienews/

Jason LeBouef

Dec 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/2/99
Tim wrote:

> July 20, 1969 (close enough to the '70's especially since the bulk of
> the Apollo program was during that decade)
>
> Where were you and what were you doing when Apollo 11 (the Eagle LEM)
> landed on the moon? When Armstrong took his first step?
>
> I was a little fellow, but I was at home in front of the TV putting
> puzzles together for both events.
>

> Tim

I wasn't even born yet :oP

I came in Nov. 1970

Yeff

Dec 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/2/99

> July 20, 1969 (close enough to the '70's especially since the bulk of
> the Apollo program was during that decade)
>
> Where were you and what were you doing when Apollo 11 (the Eagle LEM)
> landed on the moon? When Armstrong took his first step?

I was born in 1965 and was an Army brat in K-Town (Kieserslautern, Germany)
when the moonwalk occurred. I didn't really understand it at first but got
into it when we kids were given a card-board cut-out of the Lunar Module.

I remember waiting so long for the launch of the first shuttle mission
that I missed the school bus. The launch was delayed. I'll never forget
the demonstration where they heated one of the tiles red hot with a
blow-torch and then touched it with there bear hands seconds later.

I was enlisted in the Air Force and stationed at Misawa AB, Japan when
Challenger blew up. We first got word on FEN (Far East Network) while
I was working a mid. I'll never forget the shocked expressions.

Later, while stationed at Clark AB, Philippines, I went to see Billy
Joel perform at Challenger Field (named for the mission). I was so
far away that all I saw was a little black dot moving around on the
stage. It still made me feel kinda special as this was during the
Desert Shield build-up and an international star giving a free performance
was something not to be missed.

-Jeff B.
yeff at erols dot com

Tricia or Howard Bray

Dec 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/3/99

>> July 20, 1969 (close enough to the '70's especially since the bulk of
>> the Apollo program was during that decade)

Add me to the growing list of people who weren't born yet. (When I first
joined this group, I felt like most everyone was quite a bit older than I
am, but now I'm seeing a lot of born-in-the-70s people popping up.)
Anyway -- I didn't come along until July 5, 1973.

The first space memory I have was the Challenger explosion. I was in middle
school - maybe 6th grade? The principal interrupted our class to tell us
the news, and the rest of the day was spent watching the news coverage.

Having missed JKF's assassination, Martin Luther King and his protests,
etc... The Challenger was really the first national tragedy that I
remember. Now it seems like awful things like that happen weekly -- school
shootings, plane crashes, etc. What's this world coming to??
Tricia

MartiDave

Dec 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/3/99
In article <8265j9$hov$1...@news2.tor.accglobal.net>, "DavisK"
<Dav...@globalserve.net> writes:

>I also remember being in Grade 8 English class when I heard about the
>Challenger Shuttle exploding. It was so unreal. The rest of the day was a
>bit hazy, because of the shock that something we thought was so stable and
>safe, blew up.

I was at work and there was a tv there that we were watching the launch on. It
really shook me when it exploded because I still had this childlike faith that
nothing bad can happen to astronauts. I don't remember when the launchpad fire
happened that killed Grissom, et al, (I was either too little or not born), but
I do remember when they were worried about getting the Apollo 13 guys back. I
*knew* they would make it home, because nothing bad can happen to astronauts.
The Challenger shook that faith.

I'd still go up in a shuttle without a second thought, tho. I've wanted to go
to space since I can remember!

Hey, while we're on the subject, did any of you guys eat Space Sticks when you
were kids? It was supposed to be astronaut food. They were chocolate or peanut
butter. I loved em! Ate them with my Tang!

Marti

Zandalee

Dec 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/4/99

>> July 20, 1969 (close enough to the '70's especially since the bulk of
>> the Apollo program was during that decade)
>>
>> Where were you and what were you doing when Apollo 11 (the Eagle LEM)
>> landed on the moon? When Armstrong took his first step?

Wow, I must be a real old timer. I was 12 in the summer of '69. I
remember the moon landing. It was really hot outside so a group of
friends went over to my friend, Tanya's basement and watched it on her
family's ancient B&W tv (they had just gotten a color one for
upstairs). I remember thinking then that the whole moon thing looked
phony. I still think it was all done with animation. I don't believe
NASA ever landed on the moon.

Richard Derespina

Dec 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/5/99
On July 20, 1969 Me, my best friend Fat John, and my soon to be wife went to
a gathering in Central Park here in New York. I was 18 at the time. The
three major networks all had set up screens (which if looked at from above
formed a triangle) where they invited all americans to come on down to see
the first steps of Neil Armstrong on the moon. I remember that the reporter
tried to use the crowd as a backdrop as we were trying to view the screen.
To do this they would turn on massive lights shining right into our eyes.
This would also diminsh the power to the giant TV Screen. We quickly
figured out in our own countercultural way (there WERE a lot of us hippies
and longhairs there) that if we shot the reporter and the cameras the finger
that they would turn away from us. So every so often they tried this and
someone would yell out "High Sign!" And several hundred people would flip
the nation the bird. In '69 this was something that they didn'y allow on TV.
Hell, you couldn't even say "sucks". But we got to see this historic moment
with our middle fingers in the air, while the reporter said that they were
haveing "technical problems".

Tim wrote in message <38449C54...@usit.net>...

>July 20, 1969 (close enough to the '70's especially since the bulk of
>the Apollo program was during that decade)
>
>Where were you and what were you doing when Apollo 11 (the Eagle LEM)
>landed on the moon? When Armstrong took his first step?

News2all

Dec 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/6/99
I was in beautiful downtown San Diego. Specifically, in Marine Corps bootcamp.
Our drill instructors refused to allow us to watch the lunar landing on the tv
in their office. That's too bad, because within the following several months,
a number of us would be killed in Viet Nam.