Loudest concert ever?

Senator Zoidberg

Sep 9, 2000, 10:53:50 AM9/9/00
Rick Derringer at UConn, around 1979. People had their hands cupped to
their ears, screaming "Turn it down!!!" My ears were ringing for a week.

The Ramones were a close second, but they were the Ramones. It was worth
becoming a lip reader at the age of 21.

Other legendary loud bands included Blackfoot (people were picking up
cigarette butts and stuffing them in their ears) and believe it or not,
J. Geils. Or it may have been that by that time my hearing was so shot
that a Barry Manilow show would've made my eyes bleed.

What was the loudest band you ever saw?

SuspectDevice

Sep 9, 2000, 11:04:54 AM9/9/00
I don't know. Ted Nugent was so loud you couldn't really hear the music...I
imagine standing on a runway behind a 747 sounds similar.

Yeah, the Ramones. I saw them in a old church that was converted into a
club. Johnny had four 100 watt Marshalls and eight 4x10 cabinets (IIRC).
It was incredibly loud, yet immensely satisfying. Gabba Gabba Hey!

"Senator Zoidberg" <zoid...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Steve Bildermann

Sep 9, 2000, 1:16:37 PM9/9/00
LOUD ----------- No contest - two bands - loudest ever

The WHO (lead guitar Pete Townsend - now partially deaf)
and probably the loudest by a factor of 3 over the WHO

AC/DC

so friggin loud I started seeing sonic ripples bouncing across the heat
waves rising from the crowd (and I wasn't on anything)

Steve

"Senator Zoidberg" <zoid...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

dougbaker

Sep 9, 2000, 4:11:08 PM9/9/00
Slade was supposed to be the loudest band, according to Guinness, until
more recent bands came out. My ears rang all week, and I was in the far end
of the stadium. I was glad to hear you mention Derringer. He's from my
hometown here, Greenville, Ohio. I've been a fan since the old "McCoys"
days, when they did "Hang on Sloopy," "Fever," and "Smokey Joe's Cafe." His
new blues albums are fantastic.
Nugent was definitely a contender. I loved the solos on the old
hollow-body Gibson. Grand Funk rocked, too, especially when they played
closer to home, pun intended. IMO, Frank Zappa '76 was the loudest band I'd
ever heard. He had a very large group, and his guitar solos peeled the paint
off the walls at Hara Arena.
---doug

Zep77

Sep 9, 2000, 2:19:56 PM9/9/00
loudest band i ever saw was blue oyster cult in the early 80's.AC/DC was pretty
loud too,especially the cannons in "for those about to rock".i remember the LA
forum shaking when they fired.
mike

SuspectDevice

Sep 9, 2000, 2:23:07 PM9/9/00
I remember Guinness listing Deep Purple as the loudest as well. This was in
my GBOWW circa '74 (or thereabouts).

"dougbaker" <zap...@voyager.net> wrote in message

recsec

Sep 9, 2000, 3:13:33 PM9/9/00

"SuspectDevice" <m53...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I remember Guinness listing Deep Purple as the loudest as well. This was
in
> my GBOWW circa '74 (or thereabouts).
>
> "dougbaker" <zap...@voyager.net> wrote in message
> > Slade was supposed to be the loudest band, according to Guinness,
> until
> > more recent bands came out.

From the 1979 Guiness Book:
Loudest Pop Group. The amplification for The Who concert at Charlton
Athletic Football Ground, London England, on May 31st 1976, provided by a
Tasco P.A. system, had a total power of 76,000 watts from eighty 800 W Crown
D.C. 300 A amplifiers & twenty 600 W Phase Linear 200's. The readings at 50
yards from the front of the sound sytem were 120 decibels. Exposure to such
noise levels causes P.S.H.-Permanent Shift of Hearing or partial deafness.

Now I don't know about all of the amps & such but apparently. . .THEY
JAMMED!!!
recsec

dougbaker

Sep 9, 2000, 6:26:56 PM9/9/00
Yep, I forgot Deep Purple, one of my favorite groups, as well as The
Who. I had my reasons for forgetting The Who, even though it wasn't their
fault in the least. I have The King of bad concert memories. I haven't been
to one since.
Deep Purple has an amazing new video out. Most of it's classical, with
an orchestra the size of Manhattan Island. The last half-hour totally
*rocks,* though, with many popular favorites. It's called "Deep Purple--In
Concert with The London Symphony Orchestra--Live at the Albert Hall," and is
conducted by Paul Mann. It's truly awesome.
With a high-powered 5.1 channel Dolby Pro-Logic receiver, Cerwin-Vega
speakers, DVD player, and Hi-Fi Super-VHS, I no longer feel the need to go
to concerts and deal with the crowds and security squads. For the price of a
single concert ticket, I can buy five videos and revisit them as often as I
wish, with a crowd entirely of my own choosing. People just don't act right
at concerts anymore, IMO, and I don't miss it at all.
If only I could get women to throw their clothing at my TV screen....
---doug

Beatlfilms

Sep 9, 2000, 5:52:43 PM9/9/00
The loudest concerts I personally attended concerts were ones by KISS, Ted
Nugent, and David Lee Roth.

Shawn
http://members.aol.com/beatlefilms/home.html

Steve Bildermann

Sep 9, 2000, 8:38:46 PM9/9/00
Well Y-E-A-H . The Who at the Charlton football ground. I was there. Climbed
over the barrier wall from the South street exit. Stood on "spion kop"
(those words only make sense to brit football fans) for three hours of

They did a version of MAGIC BUS that lasted for twenty five minutes - Keth
Moon totally out of control - dressed as Merlin the Magician actually blew
up nine fans standing off stage with a low charge of dynamite --- no
kidding...

All fans in the front crowd lost bladder control on the finale it was so
LOUD.

Never to be repeated.

Senator Zoidberg

Sep 9, 2000, 11:21:12 PM9/9/00

Funny that you should mention the Who and Keith. A friend of mine is a
former professional drummer (Orlando area) who worshipped the Who, and
saw them many times. When he finally went to the doctor to get his
hearing checked (at age 40), he was surprised to find that he had a
permanent hearing loss. He asked the doctor why he didn't have this
problem when he was playing. The doc's response: "You don't go deaf when
you're 20."

DavisK

Sep 10, 2000, 12:23:25 AM9/10/00
I haven't had the pleasure (or displeasure?) of having my ear drums blow
out. The record, I think, is still held by The Who. They were in the
Guiness Book of World Records for the loudest concert ever recorded.

Smokin' Dave

Sep 10, 2000, 3:59:15 AM9/10/00
On Sun, 10 Sep 2000 02:16:37 +0900, "Steve Bildermann"
<sjbild...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>LOUD ----------- No contest - two bands - loudest ever
>
>The WHO (lead guitar Pete Townsend - now partially deaf)
>and probably the loudest by a factor of 3 over the WHO

Yep. Hey, back then, the Guiness Book of World Records once named the
loudest rock band, but I don't remember who they were. Anybody know?
Someone told me it was Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, but I doubt it.

--
Smokin' Dave

Hell hath no coffee, no cigarettes.....
Smokin' Dave's Taxicab Diaries
http://www.smokindave.com

Smokin' Dave

Sep 10, 2000, 4:01:13 AM9/10/00
On Sat, 09 Sep 2000 18:23:07 GMT, "SuspectDevice" <m53...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I remember Guinness listing Deep Purple as the loudest as well. This was in
>my GBOWW circa '74 (or thereabouts).

That might be the answer I was looking for (see my earlier post in
this thread). However, since the GBOWW came out with a new edition
every year, there may have been others.

Smokin' Dave

Sep 10, 2000, 4:01:58 AM9/10/00
On Sat, 09 Sep 2000 19:13:33 GMT, "recsec" <rec...@flash.net> wrote:

>From the 1979 Guiness Book:
> Loudest Pop Group. The amplification for The Who concert at Charlton
>Athletic Football Ground, London England, on May 31st 1976, provided by a
>Tasco P.A. system, had a total power of 76,000 watts from eighty 800 W Crown
>D.C. 300 A amplifiers & twenty 600 W Phase Linear 200's. The readings at 50
>yards from the front of the sound sytem were 120 decibels. Exposure to such
>noise levels causes P.S.H.-Permanent Shift of Hearing or partial deafness.

Heh heh. Where do I buy tickets?

Nigel McKenzie

Sep 10, 2000, 5:07:28 AM9/10/00
>> Loudest Pop Group. The amplification for The Who concert at Charlton
>>Athletic Football Ground, London England, on May 31st 1976,

Without doubt The Who were the loudest group of all time and nobody will
ever be allowed to do that again.

The university I went to, had a very small hall (300 seats max) and The
Who played there in 1971. The first sign of trouble was when the roadies
had doubts about the adequacy of the 440V 60A three phase electricity
supply.

Lots of groups used to turn up to our little hall, with a PA system more
suited to a football ground.
--
Nigel McKenzie

Dave

Sep 10, 2000, 8:30:05 AM9/10/00
I saw the Scorpions and Def Leppard together at the Aragon Ballroom in
Chicago, it would have been 1980. It was, aHem, loud. I was a little
stoned (ah, but of course), and remember more about thinking the roof was
going to collapse any second than the concert itself.

I joined about a hundred thousand other folks in Soldier Field during the
summer of '78 for a Superbowl of Rock featuring Rick Derringer, Bob Seger,
Peter Frampton and UFO. That was probably the most fun I'd ever had at a
rock concert. boing bOInG! Our group of ticket holders was stage right,
about 30 feet from a speaker tower. I was deaf as a f*cking post for about
a week after, and didn't care.

Dave the Wage$lave

----------
In article <39BA501D...@hotmail.com>, Senator Zoidberg

THE FURBY KING

Sep 10, 2000, 8:46:13 AM9/10/00
On 09 Sep 2000 18:19:56 GMT, ze...@aol.com (Zep77) wrote:

>loudest band i ever saw was blue oyster cult in the early 80's.

I agree >>> I saw BOC in 81' and they were louder than most of the
aircraft I pilot >>> I am also adding the name of Ozzy Osbourne to
the list >>> as I remember him being just as loud !!!

FK

THE FURBY KING

Sep 10, 2000, 8:50:25 AM9/10/00

oh >>> one more FOGHAT !!! I saw them in a small venue in '75 or so
and Slowride made my ears ring for 2 days !!!

FK

Tiny Dancer

Sep 11, 2000, 6:05:10 PM9/11/00
And so the word went out from "dougbaker" <zap...@voyager.net>:

> If only I could get women to throw their clothing at my TV screen....

----( )-( )----

Here's my bra, Doug, wear it in good health!

Cheers,

TD

The thoughts of you sends me shivery
I'm dressed in lace sailing down a black reverie
from Kate Bush's "L'amour Looks Something Like You"

Webmistress of Tiny Dancer's X-Files Episode Guide
http://www.insanity.com.au/td/

The Sesame Street Lyrics and Sounds Archive
http://i.am/tinyd

LizzieZ

Sep 11, 2000, 10:43:31 PM9/11/00
>----( )-( )----
>
>Here's my bra, Doug, wear it in good health!

Hey Tiny, we wear the same size! :-)

Liz

Oil Impressionist

Sep 11, 2000, 10:53:57 PM9/11/00
In article <7p0nrs0k3n9adea6l...@4ax.com>,
All I recall of the BOC concert I saw at the local college arena was
the laser show. Don't remember it being too loud. That was in 77.
REO was awfully loud there in 78.

We saw Foghat in or around '87 in a very small venue, and probably
would have believed them to be overly loud, except for the fact that we
spent one weekend a month in a smaller venue rockin' to our friend's
bar band. Now that was LOUD. The tiles were LITERALLY falling from
the ceiling over the stage. When we first walked in to the place, our
ears imploded. There was no sound really, just a huge pressure on our
ears. After about ten minutes, we could hear each other enough to try
a conversation. Kind of hard to have a conversation with a blind guy
who can't hear for ten minutes. (Cruel, I know, but funny!! Okay, hit
me.)

Dawna - Oil Impressionist - Class of 79 - 9/61

--
~~A deadly secret lies within LAURA'S LEGACY, available @ Amazon.com
Our web site: http://scribes.virtualave.net/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Tiny Dancer

Sep 11, 2000, 11:13:05 PM9/11/00
And so the word went out from liz...@aol.com (LizzieZ):

>>----( )-( )----
>>
>>Here's my bra, Doug, wear it in good health!
>
>Hey Tiny, we wear the same size! :-)

Weeellll, if you want the truth, this would express me better:

----( )--( )----

But size doesn't really count, right? ;-)

Cheers,

TD
who never had a training bra, my boys knew what to do already!

I was born in a house with the television always on
Guess I grew up too fast
from The Talking Heads' "Love For Sale"

Oil Impressionist

Sep 11, 2000, 11:11:24 PM9/11/00
In article <20000911224331...@ng-fi1.aol.com>,

LOL!!!!

Dawna

Smokin' Dave

Sep 12, 2000, 12:56:14 AM9/12/00
On Tue, 12 Sep 2000 03:13:05 GMT, ti...@idirect.com (Tiny Dancer)
wrote:

>And so the word went out from liz...@aol.com (LizzieZ):
>
>>>----( )-( )----
>>>
>>>Here's my bra, Doug, wear it in good health!
>>
>>Hey Tiny, we wear the same size! :-)
>
>Weeellll, if you want the truth, this would express me better:
>
>----( )--( )----
>
>But size doesn't really count, right? ;-)

Nah, more than a mouthful is a waste. But then again, I *am* a
wasteful person.

recsec

Sep 12, 2000, 1:01:38 AM9/12/00

"LizzieZ" <liz...@aol.com> wrote in message

Does this mean that ya'll are committee members then?? :-))))))))))))
recsec

dougbaker

Sep 12, 2000, 7:12:24 AM9/12/00

"Tiny Dancer" <ti...@idirect.com> wrote in message

> And so the word went out from "dougbaker" <zap...@voyager.net>:
>
> > If only I could get women to throw their clothing at my TV screen....
>
> ----( )-( )----
>
> Here's my bra, Doug, wear it in good health!
>
> Cheers,
>
> TD

Thanks a lot, Tiny Dancer!
You wouldn't believe how bad I needed that. There's only two things that
cheer up a lonely straight man who's been in a mid-life crisis most of his
life, and they have their points! You hit the nail on the head! LOL!
P.S.--I really missed you!
---doug

dougbaker

Sep 12, 2000, 7:31:07 AM9/12/00
I knew I should have read all the posts before I wrote!
I like you, too, Liz! Size really doesn't matter. You're all beautiful
and more than I deserve. I think I speak for a lot of guys when I say that.
I just actually say it out loud, ethereally speaking.
--( )-( )-- to ------( )( )------, it's the eyes,
heart, and : ) that counts!
---doug

"Tiny Dancer" <ti...@idirect.com> wrote in message

recsec

Sep 12, 2000, 4:56:18 AM9/12/00

"Tiny Dancer" <ti...@idirect.com> wrote in message
> who never had a training bra, my boys knew what to do already!

Hmmmm. . . I wonder?? Earlier tonight on The Late Show with Craig Kilborn
the actress Patricia Heaton was on there. She won an Emmy last night for her
work on 'Everybody Loves Raymond'. I like her. She is really cute. But she
said something on there that caught my ear. Craig was talking to her about
how she isn't allowed to show a whole lot of sex appeal on 'Raymond' & he
was pointing out her chest. That's when she said, about her chest, "My boys
are there" or something to that effect. She did say tho "My Boys". Could TD
possibly be PH?? You notice you never see them together now right?? HUH?!?
HUH?!? HUH?!? <---- (said like Raymond would.)
recsec

Dennis McGee

Sep 12, 2000, 12:51:10 PM9/12/00
In article <Scmv5.4959$oc3.2...@news.flash.net>, "recsec"
<rec...@flash.net> wrote:

Sorta hate to get back to the original thread :) , but The Who is an
obvious choice. It's pretty much common knowledge that poor Roger Daltrey
is about half deaf now. Haven't seen anyone bring up BTO yet. I understand
they were pretty loud back in their heyday as well, but unfortunately I
never got to see them either.

I'd have to say Cheap Trick was the loudest I've seen, back in '81. Rang my
bell for about two days. Also The Smithereens about 7 years later (and they
were in a smaller venue so you couldn't really escape to the back).

By the way, I put up a text file on the '73 Watkins Glen concert on my site
about a month ago. It goes into some detail about how they were able to
experiment with the phase shifting or something so the people in the back
of that really humongous crowd who could barely see the stage could still
hear the music without blowing everybody up front to the moon. Don't know
if The Who ever tried something like that; might not have been a bad idea.

--
_--_ "Whose wine? What wine?
/ `--''> ,,, Where the hell did I dine?"
| / I I |||||||||[:::]
\ oo ,-._> ''' Super Seventies RockSite!
`--' http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/8678/

Tiny Dancer

Sep 12, 2000, 6:02:17 PM9/12/00
And so the word went out from "dougbaker" <zap...@voyager.net>:

Re: my tossed bra, which threw the whole thread off-kilter, sorry!:

> Thanks a lot, Tiny Dancer!

You're welcome, Doug! I never got to throw it at Tom Jones and why
bother throwing it at Elton? He'd probably just put it on ;-)

> You wouldn't believe how bad I needed that. There's only two things that
>cheer up a lonely straight man who's been in a mid-life crisis most of his
>life, and they have their points! You hit the nail on the head! LOL!

Some points can still cure many ills!

> P.S.--I really missed you!

Awww, what a sweetie, thanks, Doug, that's lovely to hear. It really did
perk up the group once you and Dixon came back, if you'll pardon the
expression ;-)

Cheers,

TD
at least the .sig's on-topic!

"I can't see rock and roll ever dying now, because it's been dying for
15 years. I think the kids really get a good buzz out of dancing to it,
they just like to have their eardrums splattered."
Elton - "EJ and BT Say Goodbye Norma Jean and Other Things" ('73)

Tiny Dancer

Sep 12, 2000, 6:10:08 PM9/12/00
And so the word went out from "recsec" <rec...@flash.net>:

I wrote:

>> who never had a training bra, my boys knew what to do already!
>
>Hmmmm. . . I wonder?? Earlier tonight on The Late Show with Craig Kilborn
>the actress Patricia Heaton was on there. She won an Emmy last night for her
>work on 'Everybody Loves Raymond'. I like her. She is really cute. But she
>said something on there that caught my ear. Craig was talking to her about
>how she isn't allowed to show a whole lot of sex appeal on 'Raymond' & he
>was pointing out her chest. That's when she said, about her chest, "My boys
>are there" or something to that effect. She did say tho "My Boys". Could TD
>possibly be PH?? You notice you never see them together now right?? HUH?!?
>HUH?!? HUH?!? <---- (said like Raymond would.)

LOL! You sussed me out, recsec, all these years hiding behind the TD
facade and I blew it with that one expression, what was I thinking?! Damn,
I'll have to go underground again. Now, where did I put the number for the
Witness Protection Program?

Cheers,

TD
the one and only!

Take a look at me now and take a look at my billing
I'm not in it as an extra, I'm in it for the killing
Inflate my ego gently, tell them heaven sent me
from Elton John's "Ego"

Tiny Dancer

Sep 12, 2000, 6:13:39 PM9/12/00
And so the word went out from den...@InfoAveNoSpam.Net (Dennis McGee):

>Sorta hate to get back to the original thread :) ,

Sorry about that, Dennis, just me being silly yet again, I'm incorrigible!

>but The Who is an obvious choice. It's pretty much common knowledge
>that poor Roger Daltrey is about half deaf now.

Is he? I thought Pete caught the brunt of that and lost some hearing.

Cheers,

TD

'Cause I'm on the stage tonight
And if the price is right
I will amaze before the light

from Elton John's "Ego"

Webmistress of Tiny Dancer's X-Files Episode Guide

The Wanderer

Sep 12, 2000, 7:52:40 PM9/12/00
At one point Guiness said Deep Purple was the loudest.

--

Buddy

from Brooklyn

http://www.geocities.com/athens/thebes/5591/

The Wanderer

Sep 12, 2000, 7:52:40 PM9/12/00
Well since you've been nice enought to throw your bra at Doug's TV, Let me
help you hold those things. They must be heavy. And friends are supposed to
give each other support. (:-P

--

Buddy

from Brooklyn

http://www.geocities.com/athens/thebes/5591/

The Wanderer

Sep 12, 2000, 7:52:41 PM9/12/00
I just want to hang out with the fellas. (God just to have a GOOD woman, and
her two friends....)

--

Buddy

from Brooklyn

http://www.geocities.com/athens/thebes/5591/

Tiny Dancer

Sep 12, 2000, 8:08:40 PM9/12/00
And so the word went out from "The Wanderer" <rosieon...@worldnet.att.net>:

>Well since you've been nice enought to throw your bra at Doug's TV, Let me
>help you hold those things. They must be heavy. And friends are supposed to
>give each other support. (:-P

Oh, Buddy, you Brooklyn boys are always such smooth talkers ;-) These
particular boulders on my shoulders (look, I'm on topic again! Springsteen's
"Blinded By The Light", people, pay attention out there) are holding up fine
for now but in a few years, look out, I'll need all the help I can get! But, thanks
for your lovely offer, best one I've had all week.

Cheers,

TD

'Cause I'm on the stage tonight
And if the price is right
I will amaze before the light
from Elton John's "Ego"

Webmistress of Tiny Dancer's X-Files Episode Guide

Joy910

Sep 12, 2000, 8:55:19 PM9/12/00
>Well since you've been nice enought to throw your bra at Doug's TV, Let me
>help you hold those things. They must be heavy. And friends are supposed to
>give each other support. (:-P

You slay me, Wanderer!! LOL

Greeting from Pisc.,

Joy

The Wanderer

Sep 12, 2000, 9:09:09 PM9/12/00
I'll take that as a rain check.

--

Buddy

from Brooklyn

http://www.geocities.com/athens/thebes/5591/

The Wanderer

Sep 12, 2000, 9:23:55 PM9/12/00
Joy, just noticed you were back (in your "why I dont come around anymore"
post). It's always a pleasure. I hope you've been well. Family too.

--

Buddy

from Brooklyn

http://www.geocities.com/athens/thebes/5591/

Joy910

Sep 12, 2000, 9:52:56 PM9/12/00
Thank you!! I have been lurking but was feeling discouraged in here but
decided not to be anymore. I missed you guys!!!

All is well, I hope the same for you. ;) !

Greetings to you from Pisc.,

Joy

Jeff Troutman

Sep 12, 2000, 10:00:05 PM9/12/00
"The Wanderer" <rosieon...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> At one point Guiness said Deep Purple was the loudest.

Right. They were eventually replaced by the Who around '79 or so, I
believe. No idea who holds the record now.

Jeff Troutman

Jeff Troutman

Sep 12, 2000, 10:09:05 PM9/12/00
"Dennis McGee" <den...@InfoAveNoSpam.Net> wrote:

> By the way, I put up a text file on the '73 Watkins Glen concert on my
site
> about a month ago. It goes into some detail about how they were able to
> experiment with the phase shifting or something so the people in the back
> of that really humongous crowd who could barely see the stage could still
> hear the music without blowing everybody up front to the moon. Don't know
> if The Who ever tried something like that; might not have been a bad idea.

Pink Floyd experimented with something like that in the late '60s. They
toured with a device called the Azimuth Coordinator, which was a joystick
that projected sound around a hall. Don't know why they didn't go any
further with it.

The Floyd could also crank up the volume when they felt like it. At one
infamous show, they played so loud they killed all the fish in a nearby
lake.

Jeff Troutman

Jeff Troutman

Sep 12, 2000, 10:12:28 PM9/12/00
"Tiny Dancer" <ti...@idirect.com> wrote in message:

> And so the word went out from den...@InfoAveNoSpam.Net (Dennis McGee):
>
> >Sorta hate to get back to the original thread :) ,
>
> Sorry about that, Dennis, just me being silly yet again, I'm incorrigible!
>
> >but The Who is an obvious choice. It's pretty much common knowledge
> >that poor Roger Daltrey is about half deaf now.
>
> Is he? I thought Pete caught the brunt of that and lost some hearing.

It wouldn't surprise me if they all were deaf by now. Pete's deafness, btw,
is often said to start from the Smothers Brothers' TV appearance where Keith
put way too much flash powder in his drum kit and it exploded very close to
Pete.

The late Felix Pappalardi was also said to be medically deaf from his time
on stage with Mountain.

Jeff Troutman

dougbaker

Sep 13, 2000, 1:36:48 AM9/13/00

"Dennis McGee" <den...@InfoAveNoSpam.Net> wrote in message

> In article <Scmv5.4959$oc3.2...@news.flash.net>, "recsec"
> <rec...@flash.net> wrote:
>
> By the way, I put up a text file on the '73 Watkins Glen concert on my
site
> about a month ago. It goes into some detail about how they were able to
> experiment with the phase shifting or something so the people in the back
> of that really humongous crowd who could barely see the stage could still
> hear the music without blowing everybody up front to the moon. Don't know
> if The Who ever tried something like that; might not have been a bad idea.

Pink Floyd first had their new sound-system for The Animals Tour (their
album, not the Eric Burdon band...) in 1977. They had 360-degree spatial
speakers located around the stadium and could project anything to any
particular space at any time. It was all controlled by a joystick-type
device. They could literally pinpoint their music to any given spot, or
flood it out into a wide beam. I actually located the sound crew and talked
with them about it. I noticed it immediately during the sound-checks. They
were very surprised that I understood what they were doing and how because
it was still a new process. There truly was not a bad seat in the house. It
didn't kill the front row. The back row wasn't cheated out of a single
subtle whisper.
I've always had a great ear for acoustics, being a sought-after stereo
installer. Most people just don't understand how much acoustical properties
are influenced by their placements and surroundings. If your speakers are
new and don't sound great, it's more likely caused by bad placement than bad
speakers. A properly situated set of $150 KLH can sound better than a poorly
situated $1500 pair of Polk or Klipsch speakers. Trust me. Read the manual
and follow the rules. They're more important than you think. If you just
can't get it, find someone that can feel their way around and you can be in
ecstasy.
I'd never heard anything like Floyd's Sound Projector system. It was the
best legal high I ever experienced with my clothes on. Then there was the
Sonic Holograph Generator, but that's another story...
---doug

dougbaker

Sep 13, 2000, 2:13:00 AM9/13/00
I know...we got off topic...I haven't "seen" you in awhile, TD, and it
was fun, and isn't that what living is all about? No apologies from me for
that!
I just posted a lengthy and highly technical screed to pay my penance on
this thread. Dennis apologized for getting back on topic, and I sincerely
did feel guilty for that since *I* was responsible!
I loved your Watkin's Glen post and site, Dennis, and I know a little
about sound. There's a decent, sensible, on-topic one for there now just for
you. And for anyone interested in Pink Floyd Sonic trivia or needing to
fine-tune their home system so they can listen to all that great 70s music
in the best possible way.
---doug
P.S.--You can rest assured that you did the right thing, Tiny Dancer. I
can guarantee I appreciated the gesture far more than Elton ever would. It
was a noble deed that didn't go unnoticed. Tom Jones has taken enough of my
share. It still means a lot to me!

Dennis McGee

Sep 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/13/00
Enough of this audio stuff -- I'm going back to the sub-topic again! Today
on the Inside Edition program with Deborah Norville, there was a story
about these two girls in their early 20's from Michigan who had just
entered a topless contest at a local bar (they didn't win) and were on
their way home when they were stopped by a cop for weaving in and out of
traffic. They both climbed out of the car without their bras on, told the
cop "you're really hot," and dallied around a bit before they were finally
subdued and carted off to jail for creating a disturbance and public
indecency. One of them was a student majoring in criminal justice, and
asked if this offense would prevent her from becoming a lawyer! All of this
was captured on film with those cameras the cops have in their patrol cars
now.

Being a cop must really be a thrill a minute.

--
_--_ "What the people need,
/ `--''> ,,, is a way to make 'em smile."

dougbaker

Sep 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/13/00
Hi, Jeff!
We must have been on parallel wavelengths at about the same time! Your
post wasn't showing up yet when I was writing mine. They did go farther with
it! The first time I saw Floyd was in late'72 or early '73, if I remember
right. I'll be honest--those are some hazy years, but some things stick out.
I was pretty sure it was before, not after, "Dark Side" was released because
I hadn't heard it until the show.
One thing was so funny, and I'll never forget this...Rolling Stone Mag
or Playboy actually called them a *studio* band!!! LOL!!! Whoever wrote that
probably still hasn't lived it down. Or written since. They obviously didn't
even go to the show. Probably partying downtown and hearing all their
interviews third-hand from other people who weren't there. Anyway, by the
time they got here to the Midwest, they were legends. (IMO, Ohio is
Mid*east* since we're on Eastern time, but what do I know???) It was
surrealistic. They had a few songs from Meddle, Ummagumma, Atom-Heart
Mother, and Saucerful of Secrets. Then they broke into some "Dark Side of
the Moon," and what a sweet treat! I didn't see them again until the
"Animals" tour '77. I saw them back-to-back in Cincinnati and Cleveland. The
sound system was great both times, but I saw a big improvement in the latter
concerts. I didn't see them again until the Delicate Sound of Thunder tour,
the only concert at a big venue I've been to in twenty years, and they still
rock. The sound system was louder but not quite as unique as I'd remembered.
I do miss Roger Waters. They're still fantastic, that's really what I think.
By the way, which one's Pink?
I'm curious, Jeff. Are you out west? I'm east. There was a three hour
time difference between our posts and I just read all of yesterday's on this
thread before I started mine.
---doug

"Jeff Troutman" <yourhe...@starpower.net> wrote in message

dougbaker

Sep 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/13/00

"Nigel McKenzie" <mcn...@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message
> >I knew a guy one time who had huge Infinity "pyramid" tower speakers and
> >Phase Linear 2,000 watt amp setup one time. Superb sounding system, but
it
> >sure took up a lot of space.
> >
> Somebody I know had a system like that, but had terrible problems with
> mechanical feedback. So in the end he put his turntable and pre-amp in
> the garage, with the amp and speakers in his vast study.
> However this meant that in order to hear the opening bars of a record,
> he had to sprint back to into his study.
> One day, in his haste, he dropped the stylus and blow the windows out of
> his study.
> --
> Nigel McKenzie

In the seventies, I had a MacIntosh with a separate tube amp for each
channel. The tubes were about as big as wine bottles and each would heat a
medium-sized room. They weren't the cleanest amps I ever had, but they sure
were the loudest. When I had the volume on the third notch, my neighbors
would call me and ask if I'd turn it down. I was two-thirds of a mile from
them. I had lights hooked up to my phone and doorbell so I could tell when
they were ringing. I literally couldn't have pictures on the wall. They'd
fly off like I had a poltergeist. I had to suspend my turntable from the
ceiling a couple of rooms away. I'd still get rumble. I'd transfer my albums
to an Akai reel-to-reel so I could crank it. I'm not exaggerating when I say
that many bands sounded better at home than at a concert.
Right now, I have a Carver. It's not as loud, but it's the very cleanest
sound I've ever heard. It has the widest dynamic range I could find and it's
hooked up to Polk speakers, which have the best spatial separation and
lowest bass I've heard. I'm not into loud anymore. I'm lucky I can hear.
Has anyone else bought Grand Funk's "Bosnia" CD? It's a double live set,
the profits go to charity, and it's Funk at their best with an orchestra on
the second CD. It's truly awesome and they sound better than ever.
---doug

Dennis McGee

Sep 13, 2000, 8:12:28 AM9/13/00
In article <39bee9f9$0$34968$53a6...@news.erinet.com>, "dougbaker"
<zap...@voyager.net> wrote:

> Pink Floyd first had their new sound-system for The Animals Tour
>(their album, not the Eric Burdon band...) in 1977. They had 360-degree
>spatial speakers located around the stadium and could project anything
>to any particular space at any time. It was all controlled by a
>joystick-type device.

Yes, I remember reading about the joystick-controlled acoustics of that '77
Floyd tour at the time now that you mention it.

> I've always had a great ear for acoustics, being a sought-after
>stereo installer. Most people just don't understand how much
>acoustical properties are influenced by their placements and
>surroundings. If your speakers are new and don't sound great, it's
>more likely caused by bad placement than bad speakers.

You sound very knowledgeable on the subject. I've usually lived in places
where I didn't have that much room to experiment with speaker placement,
that's why I like my old Marantz Imperial 5G's that I bought back in '75
that are relatively small (23" x 12" x 9 1/2") and can be used in an
average-sized living room or bedroom.

I knew a guy one time who had huge Infinity "pyramid" tower speakers and a
Phase Linear 2,000 watt amp setup one time. Superb sounding system, but it
sure took up a lot of space.

--
_--_ "She ain't got money, her clothes are kinda
/ `--''> ,,, funny, her hair is kinda wild & free.."

Nigel McKenzie

Sep 13, 2000, 8:30:04 AM9/13/00
>I knew a guy one time who had huge Infinity "pyramid" tower speakers and a
>Phase Linear 2,000 watt amp setup one time. Superb sounding system, but it
>sure took up a lot of space.

Tiny Dancer

Sep 13, 2000, 9:43:45 AM9/13/00
And so the word went out from "Jeff Troutman" <yourhe...@starpower.net>:

It appears to be Manowar. I found some info here:

http://www.throttlebox.com/Box/reload?Page=http://www.throttlebox.com/Content/527.shtml

That says the release of their fourth album, "Sign Of The Hammer", in 1994 got
them into the Guinness Book of World Records as the world's loudest band.
Then I read this interesting factoid regarding the '99 edition of the book here:

http://www.roanoke.com/magazine/jennings/010799.html

"Lots of categories in the Book of World Records are apparently no longer
humored. Gone are the categories of loudest band, largest guitar, longest
palindrome, greatest distance traveled by paper airplane, largest beer can
collection. No mention of Spam or Beanie Babies."

So, there ya go, Manowar holds the record for the loudest band in history.
Good trivia to stump your friends with, I've never heard of them myself but
I was never into heavy metal either.

Cheers,

TD

And root, toot, shoot myself to fame
Every kid alive gonna know my name
An overnight phenomenon like there's never been
A motivated supersonic king of the scene
from Elton John's "I'm Going To Be A Teenage Idol"

Jeff Troutman

Sep 14, 2000, 12:42:49 AM9/14/00
"dougbaker" <zap...@voyager.net> wrote:
> Hi, Jeff!
> We must have been on parallel wavelengths at about the same time! Your
> post wasn't showing up yet when I was writing mine. They did go farther
with
> it! The first time I saw Floyd was in late'72 or early '73, if I remember
> right. I'll be honest--those are some hazy years, but some things stick
out.
> I was pretty sure it was before, not after, "Dark Side" was released
because
> I hadn't heard it until the show.
> One thing was so funny, and I'll never forget this...Rolling Stone Mag
> or Playboy actually called them a *studio* band!!! LOL!!! Whoever wrote
that
> probably still hasn't lived it down. Or written since. They obviously
didn't
> even go to the show. Probably partying downtown and hearing all their
> interviews third-hand from other people who weren't there.

The knock on the Floyd in the '70s was that their tendency to take months in
the studio to make an album "perfect" (Dark Side took nine) robbed them of a
certain amount of spontaniety and energy live. Hence the "studio" band
crack. There's a certain amount of truth in that, imo, although the band
certainly were capable of reproducing their sound in concert.

> Anyway, by the
> time they got here to the Midwest, they were legends. (IMO, Ohio is
> Mid*east* since we're on Eastern time, but what do I know???) It was
> surrealistic. They had a few songs from Meddle, Ummagumma, Atom-Heart
> Mother, and Saucerful of Secrets. Then they broke into some "Dark Side of
> the Moon," and what a sweet treat! I didn't see them again until the
> "Animals" tour '77. I saw them back-to-back in Cincinnati and Cleveland.
The
> sound system was great both times, but I saw a big improvement in the
latter
> concerts. I didn't see them again until the Delicate Sound of Thunder
tour,
> the only concert at a big venue I've been to in twenty years, and they
still
> rock. The sound system was louder but not quite as unique as I'd
remembered.

The Delicate Sound show at Columbus, Ohio, is the only Floyd show I've seen.
Coincidentally, it's also the last stadium show I've been to. I can
remember the flying pig vividly.

> I do miss Roger Waters. They're still fantastic, that's really what I
think.
> By the way, which one's Pink?

Bob Geldof.

> I'm curious, Jeff. Are you out west? I'm east. There was a three hour
> time difference between our posts and I just read all of yesterday's on
this
> thread before I started mine.

I'm out east as well. Alexandria, Virginia to be exact.

Jeff Troutman

The Wanderer

Sep 14, 2000, 2:15:53 AM9/14/00
I saw them in '88 at the Nassau Coliseum and the brought the pig with them.

--

Buddy

from Brooklyn

http://www.geocities.com/athens/thebes/5591/

dougbaker

Sep 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/14/00

> "dougbaker" <zap...@voyager.net> wrote:
> The Delicate Sound show at Columbus, Ohio, is the only Floyd show I've
seen.
> Coincidentally, it's also the last stadium show I've been to. I can
> remember the flying pig vividly.

Too weird--my last show was in Cleveland the night after you saw them. I
wanted to go to Columbus. They sold out too quick. I got a Cleveland ticket.
I have a camper on the Lake about an hour from there. By then, I could never
Pink Floyd and Zappa were the only two bands I was willing to see at a big
venue.

> > I'm curious, Jeff. Are you out west? I'm east. There was a three
hour
> > time difference between our posts and I just read all of yesterday's on
> this
> > thread before I started mine.
>
> I'm out east as well. Alexandria, Virginia to be exact.

I think I must have the slowest ISP in the Universe. Some of my posts don't
show up 'til the next day. Thanks, Jeff! I was curious.

---doug

dougbaker

Sep 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/14/00

"The Wanderer" <rosieon...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> I saw them in '88 at the Nassau Coliseum and the brought the pig with
them.
> --
> Buddy
> from Brooklyn

Thanks, Buddy!
They had the pig for the "Animals" tour '77, at least that was the first
I saw it. They had a big, fat bowling pin-shaped guy with no face except for
two huge eyes, wearing a pin-striped suit and holding a cigar, too. I'll bet
you can guess what song they played then!
I've seen the pig at every stadium show since, but I always wondered
what happened to the fat guy. Some guys from Brooklyn probably got it at
home in their garage. Just kidding!
---doug

The Wanderer

Sep 15, 2000, 1:17:14 AM9/15/00
If I did, I would take people home and charge them to see it!

--

dougbaker wrote in message <39c0f114$0$35378$53a6...@news.erinet.com>...

>"The Wanderer" <rosieon...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

>> I saw them in '88 at the Nassau Coliseum and the brought the pig with
>them.
>> --
>> Buddy
>> from Brooklyn

Dixon Hayes

Sep 15, 2000, 11:18:44 PM9/15/00
>Thank you!! I have been lurking but was feeling discouraged in here but
>decided not to be anymore

Thanks, Joy! I would hate to think we lost you especially for that reason.
You know who in here love you and we're the ones who rule this place!!!

Dixon
"You won't find much flesh, it's all muscle. Us Fifes is wiry."
--Barney Fife

Remember THE Hollywood Squares...the original and the best
http://www.geocities.com/screenjockey/classicsquares.html