Best voices of the Pop/Rock Era

LazyGirl

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00

Donald Fagen (Steely Dan)
Al Stewart
Lionel Richie
Michael McDonald
David Pack (Ambrosia)
Freddie Mercury

Thinking about the great voices of the 70s really makes you realize what
crap today's music is!

Claire

"LostSteelCircle" <lostste...@aol.com> wrote in message
> As a big music fan, I've noticed that over the years, rock and pop has
devolved
> into something of a cookie cutter culture. Most of the singers fit certain
> molds and their voices all tend to sound flat, watered down and the nearly
the
> same.
> I guess there were always copycats and those that were derivative of
something
> or someone else, but it seems like years ago...we had such wonderful male
> singers. Although many folks put down the seventies as being a time of
soulless
> music, I disagree. I was watching the VH1 movie on Meatloaf last night and
for
> most of the songs they used his actual recordings. It struck me that not
only
> did Meatloaf have one of the best voices in popular music, but that many
of the
> singers with the most unique pipes came out of or had their peak in the
> seventies. Below is my list of best male voices of the pop/rock era..as
you can
> see most of them came became popular in that decade. By best, I don't
> necessarily mean able to hit the highest notes, or had the greatest octave
> range..although some certainly did. I mean, their voices were not only
unique,
> but had such an emotionally compelling styles, that they took every song
they
> sang and brought out the best those tunes. These are not in any
order...just a
> random list of singers who possesed my very favorite voices.
>
> 1.Meatloaf
> 2.C.F Turner(BTO)
> 3. Chuck Negron(3 Dog Night
> 4. Gordon Lightfoot
> 5. Van Morrison
> 6. Boz Scaggs
> 7. Burton Cummings (Guess Who)
> 8. Waylon Jennings (I know he's pop/rock, but he's so great, I just hadda
add
> him)
> Anyway, those are some of my faves..feel free to disagree or add your own
> choices.

LostSteelCircle

Oct 5, 2000, 9:47:41 PM10/5/00

Beatlfilms

Oct 5, 2000, 10:12:17 PM10/5/00
LostSteelCircle said:

The three guys that immediately come to mind for me when thinking about "great
male voices" all got started prior to the 70s, but were still singing away in
that decade. They are:

Roy Orbision
Tom Jones
Elvis Presley

Shawn
http://members.aol.com/beatlefilms/home.html

Dick Long

Oct 5, 2000, 11:08:34 PM10/5/00
On 06 Oct 2000 01:47:41 GMT, in alt.culture.us.1970s another
self-styled hero wrote:

>As a big music fan,

[trim]

Elvis P.
Steve Perry
Smokey Robinson
Roberta Flack

DL

"belive me I am nothing to bragg about so dont waste all your time.®"
"it seems like every boddy trys to be politicly incorect these days®"
- grapetastebasted

"Jefferies sucks!"
- Public Domain

"One of the most moronic sports fans on Earth!®"
- Mike Fletcher

Winner of the "Name the Little Fool" contest!!!®
- OMF

http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm

Molly Fanton

Oct 5, 2000, 11:15:49 PM10/5/00
I have two words for you: FREDDIE MERCURY. Nuff said. :)

Molly

LizzieZ

Oct 5, 2000, 11:50:06 PM10/5/00
>Donald Fagen (Steely Dan)
>Al Stewart
>Lionel Richie
>Michael McDonald
>David Pack (Ambrosia)
>Freddie Mercury
>
>Thinking about the great voices of the 70s really makes you realize what
>crap today's music is!

What a perfect list. I LOVE David Pack, and think Freddie Mercury's voice is
golden. Makes me so sad when I hear most of today's voices. One of the few I
really enjoy currently is Rufus Wainwright (it's so unique), when it comes to
new voices (as opposed to some of our old faves who are still singing).
Sigh... just another thing to miss about yesteryear.

Liz

Zep77

Oct 6, 2000, 12:29:33 AM10/6/00
Paul Rodgers

joan harkness

Oct 6, 2000, 5:03:27 AM10/6/00
Any list that is about the top male voices of all time in pop/rock has to
include...

ELVIS PRESLEY

Elvis had a beautiful voice and could sing any type of song that you asked
him too. And he could do convincingly.

Rock n Roll, ballads, Gospel and on and on and on.

Dave

Zep77 wrote in message <20001006002933...@ng-cf1.aol.com>...
>Paul Rodgers

Oil Impressionist

Oct 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/6/00
In article <39DD4401...@worldnet.att.net>,

Molly Fanton <molly...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> I have two words for you: FREDDIE MERCURY. Nuff said. :)
>
> Molly

I bow to you, Grasshopper . . .

:)

Dawna

--
~~A deadly secret lies within LAURA'S LEGACY, available @ Amazon.com
Our web site: http://scribes.virtualave.net/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Oil Impressionist

Oct 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/6/00
In article <20001006002933...@ng-cf1.aol.com>,
ze...@aol.com (Zep77) wrote:
> Paul Rodgers

Definitely! And, um, Mr. Mike Zep77, how about . . . you know!
Robert Plant

Also:
Lou Gramm (Foreigner)
Bob Seger

Maybe . . . gee, I don't know

ROD STEWART comes to mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dawna

Oil Impressionist

Oct 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/6/00
Oh, I forgot! Diamond David Lee Roth!!

:-)

Dawna

recsec

Oct 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/6/00

"Oil Impressionist" <oil_impr...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

Dawna Dawna O My lovely little Dawna. Dear Did you ever see Diamond Dave in
Concert? Yes he could party down with the best of them, but I gotta say, he
could not carry a tune in a bucket with a lid on it. And this man was a Rock
God!! We truely were not worthy when I saw him with the Brothers Van Halen
on the Diver Down tour. Sammy now. Well that's a different horse alltogether
now. I totally enjoy Van Roth, but will go to my grave believing he cannot
carry a tune. No tune carrying abilities no good voice. All he did was
scream. Of course now you DO :-) realize this is just me saying this now
right?? Right? Hmmm. . . Somebody get me a doctor!! I'm gonna need one cos I
can see Dawna's eyes turning white with rage :-))) LOL!!!
Billy

WiNK

Oct 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/6/00
Yes....10 more votes for Elvis here!!! :-)

Someone already mentioned the other one I was thinking of: Paul
Rodgers....man, did he sing! And he still can! Also, Steven Tyler......he's
the man as far as unique sounding. Also, Philip Bailey from EW& F.... Ann
Wilson from Heart! And, maybe a little "Broadway" sounding, but Dennis
DeYoung.

Is it just me? OR do most male singers nowadays sound like the guy from
Creed????!!!!!!

Nadine

joan harkness <D...@netcom.ca> wrote in message

nrbq

Oct 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/6/00
Rock 'n roll is full of great singers who were not great
Vocalists.....Some didn't even have a bucket....
Bob Dylan
Rod Stewart
Mick Jagger

Just to name a few more

Zep77

Oct 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/6/00
hey Dawna,glad someone agrees with my Paul Rodgers vote! he is unbelievable,he
sounds as good today as he did over 30 years ago with Free.
by the way,Paul's favorite singer is Otis Redding,so cast his vote too.
As for Robert Plant,Zeppelin are hands down my favorite band and i love his
vocals (obviously) but i can't say he's got the best voice.i will say though
(OT), that John Henry Bonham was the greatest drummer of all time!!!!!
Mike

a_nate...@my-deja.com

Oct 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/6/00
I heard on VH1 classic that "The Stroke"? is considered a one hit
wonder and these guys were actually trying to analyze it, and I'm
thinking WAIT A MINUTE - Billy just wants to be stroked now and then.
There is nothing to analyze.

- AND I WANNA GET STROKED TOO (but I'll settle for a backrub if that's
not on her agenda)!!!

So, if technically Billy is Pop/Rock Era? He gets my vote.

recsec

Oct 6, 2000, 9:57:23 PM10/6/00

<a_nate...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> I heard on VH1 classic that "The Stroke"? is considered a one hit
> wonder and these guys were actually trying to analyze it, and I'm
> thinking WAIT A MINUTE - Billy just wants to be stroked now and then.
> There is nothing to analyze.

Well of course I wanna be stroked now & then. :-)
Billy (Squier?? Could it be him??)

a_nate...@my-deja.com

Oct 6, 2000, 11:44:33 PM10/6/00
In article <7qvD5.7665$Kc.3...@news.flash.net>,
"recsec" <rec...@flash.net> wrote:

> Billy (Squier?? Could it be him??)

Yes! -And not him doing the actual stroking - the background music
playing to me getting thus. However, as I stated earlier - a backrub
would do just fine.

Oil Impressionist

Oct 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/7/00
In article <20001006141515...@ng-cb1.aol.com>,
Caught Paul Rodgers with the Bad Co tour last summer. (Well, I went
cuz Billy Squier was the opener, but still . . .) Love his voice even
now. And as far as Bonzo, you said it!!

Dawna

--
~~A deadly secret lies within LAURA'S LEGACY, available @ Amazon.com
Our web site: http://scribes.virtualave.net/
Dawna's art site + online portfolio:
http://www.geocities.com/scribes2000/artangel.html
The Billy Squier Web Companion: http://members.xoom.com/squiersite/

Oil Impressionist

Oct 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/7/00
In article <TghD5.7324$Kc.3...@news.flash.net>,

"recsec" <rec...@flash.net> wrote:

> "Oil Impressionist" <oil_impr...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > Oh, I forgot! Diamond David Lee Roth!!
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > Dawna
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
>
> Dawna Dawna O My lovely little Dawna. Dear Did you ever see Diamond
Dave in
> Concert? Yes he could party down with the best of them, but I gotta
say, he
> could not carry a tune in a bucket with a lid on it. And this man was
a Rock
> God!! We truely were not worthy when I saw him with the Brothers Van
Halen
> on the Diver Down tour. Sammy now. Well that's a different horse
alltogether
> now. I totally enjoy Van Roth, but will go to my grave believing he
cannot
> carry a tune. No tune carrying abilities no good voice. All he did was
> scream. Of course now you DO :-) realize this is just me saying this
now
> right?? Right? Hmmm. . . Somebody get me a doctor!! I'm gonna need
one cos I
> can see Dawna's eyes turning white with rage :-))) LOL!!!
> Billy

I suppose I should have clarified all that. I meant them thar dudes as
bein' *unique* voices not *good* voices.

And my eyes are not white with rage . . .

THEY'RE RED!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

Oil Impressionist

Oct 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/7/00
In article <8rm670$ec3$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

a_nate...@my-deja.com wrote:
> In article <7qvD5.7665$Kc.3...@news.flash.net>,
> "recsec" <rec...@flash.net> wrote:
>
> > Billy (Squier?? Could it be him??)

Well, you were on my birthday. :-)

> Yes! -And not him doing the actual stroking - the background music
> playing to me getting thus. However, as I stated earlier - a backrub
> would do just fine.

> the above was from nate . . .somehow I chopped off some of his
stuff. :-)

Ahem!! Class will now come to order!! Boys! Boys! BOYS!!!! Go
stand by the chalkboard.

Okay now, are you listening to me? I didn't mention Mr. Squier before
because he would have been OT. See, he was THE GREATEST VOICE of the
80s, not the 70s. Well, actually he DID record in the 70s with a band
called Piper, but only about four people know it.

But if I were to mention Mr. Squier, I would not be mentioning The
Stroke or it's Pop-up VH1 supposed video. (Although I DO get a kick
out of it, in a demented way.)

Now you two can go take your seats. There's a good boy, Billy boy!
There's a good little Natey!

:]

Dawna

--
~~A deadly secret lies within LAURA'S LEGACY, available @ Amazon.com
Our web site: http://scribes.virtualave.net/
Dawna's art site + online portfolio:
http://www.geocities.com/scribes2000/artangel.html
The Billy Squier Web Companion: http://members.xoom.com/squiersite/

recsec

Oct 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/7/00

> In article <8rm670$ec3$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> a_nate...@my-deja.com wrote:
> > In article <7qvD5.7665$Kc.3...@news.flash.net>,
> > "recsec" <rec...@flash.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Billy (Squier?? Could it be him??)
> >

> Well, you were on my birthday. :-)
>
> > Yes! -And not him doing the actual stroking - the background music
> > playing to me getting thus. However, as I stated earlier - a backrub
> > would do just fine.
> > the above was from nate . . .somehow I chopped off some of his
> stuff. :-)
>
> Ahem!! Class will now come to order!! Boys! Boys! BOYS!!!! Go
> stand by the chalkboard.
>
> Okay now, are you listening to me? I didn't mention Mr. Squier before
> because he would have been OT. See, he was THE GREATEST VOICE of the
> 80s, not the 70s. Well, actually he DID record in the 70s with a band
> called Piper, but only about four people know it.
>
> But if I were to mention Mr. Squier, I would not be mentioning The
> Stroke or it's Pop-up VH1 supposed video. (Although I DO get a kick
> out of it, in a demented way.)
>
> Now you two can go take your seats. There's a good boy, Billy boy!
> There's a good little Natey!
>
> :]
>
> Dawna
>

> --
> ~~A deadly secret lies within LAURA'S LEGACY, available @ Amazon.com
> Our web site: http://scribes.virtualave.net/
> Dawna's art site + online portfolio:
> http://www.geocities.com/scribes2000/artangel.html
> The Billy Squier Web Companion: http://members.xoom.com/squiersite/
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Yes Ma'am!! I'm very sorry for disrupting the class like I did You can be
assured it wont happen again ma'am. Pssst. hey nate!!! teacher looks just
like a scary monster like Gamera or something don't she?!?!? snicker
snicker!! O shhhhh here she comes again.
Billy

LostSteelCircle

Oct 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/7/00

And then oil_impr...@my-deja.com added:
>Bob Seger

And then LostSteelCircle slapped herself on the head, while saying D'oh!
Oh Geez, How could I have forgotten those two. Freddy Mercury and Bob Seger are
two of my absolute favorites and definitley epitomize the type of singers I was
talking about in this thread. Someone wrote of Seger that he could sing the
phone book and make it sound great. And Freddy's voice was proof there is a
God. The world lost a great gift when Mr Mercury left us.
Erica

Tiny Dancer

Oct 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/7/00
And so the word went out from lostste...@aol.com (LostSteelCircle):

>Below is my list of best male voices of the pop/rock era..as you can
>see most of them came became popular in that decade. By best, I don't
>necessarily mean able to hit the highest notes, or had the greatest octave
>range..although some certainly did. I mean, their voices were not only unique,
>but had such an emotionally compelling styles, that they took every song they
>sang and brought out the best those tunes. These are not in any order...just a
>random list of singers who possesed my very favorite voices.
>
>1.Meatloaf
>2.C.F Turner(BTO)
>3. Chuck Negron(3 Dog Night
>4. Gordon Lightfoot
>5. Van Morrison
>6. Boz Scaggs
>7. Burton Cummings (Guess Who)
>8. Waylon Jennings (I know he's pop/rock, but he's so great, I just hadda add
>him)

Great choices, Erica. Personally, I would add Elton but that's because
his voice literally brightened my day when I'd hear it on the radio. You
can tell it's Elton singing if you've never heard the song but he doesn't
really have a *unique* voice.

Now, Harry Chapin, there's one of the not technically great but very
emotionally unique voices of the era. Doesn't anyone else saying,
"Harry, keep the change" in "Taxi" sound like a doofus? Not Harry,
he could carry that singing-speaking style so well.

Art Garfunkel, one of the finest voices in music period, IMHO.

Kris Kristofferson, my puddle inducer from another thread :-) Rowr!

Kate Bush, if we can include women in the list. She was a complete
revelation to me at the time and I still rate her as one of the best.

Karen Carpenter, an angel in human form.

Cher. For all the silliness around her in the 70s she did manage to
crank out some fab tunes. Another one that's not technically a great
singer but, man, she's got some pipes!

Cheers,

TD

Of all noises, I think music is the least disagreeable.
Samuel Johnson

For a good time call
http://i.am/tinyd

a_nate...@my-deja.com

Oct 7, 2000, 9:01:15 PM10/7/00
In article <8rmi0o$m9u$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
Oil Impressionist <oil_impr...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> In article <8rm670$ec3$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

> Well, you were on my birthday. :-)

Ummmmmm, Mrs. Dawna I'll promise to be good! Please don't write me off
just yet.

I'll wear the dunce hat and sit in the corner.

Ummmmmmmm, can I have a hall pass?

PAUL

Oct 8, 2000, 1:10:48 AM10/8/00

Oil Impressionist

Oct 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/8/00
In article <20001007074815...@ng-cj1.aol.com>,
lostste...@aol.com (LostSteelCircle) wrote:

> molly...@worldnet.att.net said:
> >I have two words for you: FREDDIE MERCURY. Nuff said. :)
>
> And then oil_impr...@my-deja.com added:
> >Bob Seger
>
> And then LostSteelCircle slapped herself on the head, while saying
D'oh!
> Oh Geez, How could I have forgotten those two. Freddy Mercury and Bob
Seger are
> two of my absolute favorites and definitley epitomize the type of
singers I was
> talking about in this thread. Someone wrote of Seger that he could
sing the
> phone book and make it sound great. And Freddy's voice was proof
there is a
> God. The world lost a great gift when Mr Mercury left us.
> Erica

Amen

--
~~A deadly secret lies within LAURA'S LEGACY, available @ Amazon.com
Our web site: http://scribes.virtualave.net/
Dawna's art site + online portfolio:
http://www.geocities.com/scribes2000/artangel.html
The Billy Squier Web Companion: http://members.xoom.com/squiersite/

Oil Impressionist

Oct 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/8/00
In article <DBAD5.7800$Kc.3...@news.flash.net>,

"recsec" <rec...@flash.net> wrote:

> Yes Ma'am!! I'm very sorry for disrupting the class like I did You
can be
> assured it wont happen again ma'am.

If it does, you can rest ASSured that you'll have writer's cramp from
having to write on the chalkboard a hundred zillion times:
I will not make fun of The Stroke again as long as I live.
I will not make fun of The Stroke again as long as I live.
I will not make fun of The Stroke again as long as I live.
I will not make fun of The Stroke again as long as I live.
I will not make fun of The Stroke again as long as I live.
I will not make fun of . . . .

> Pssst. hey nate!!! teacher looks just
> like a scary monster like Gamera or something don't she?!?!? snicker
> snicker!! O shhhhh here she comes again.
> Billy

You betcha, sweetie!!

Dawna

--
~~A deadly secret lies within LAURA'S LEGACY, available @ Amazon.com
Our web site: http://scribes.virtualave.net/
Dawna's art site + online portfolio:
http://www.geocities.com/scribes2000/artangel.html
The Billy Squier Web Companion: http://members.xoom.com/squiersite/

Oil Impressionist

Oct 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/8/00
In article <8roh0p$2j8$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

a_nate...@my-deja.com wrote:
> In article <8rmi0o$m9u$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> Oil Impressionist <oil_impr...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> > In article <8rm670$ec3$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
>
> > Well, you were on my birthday. :-)
>
> Ummmmmm, Mrs. Dawna I'll promise to be good! Please don't write me
off
> just yet.

Well . . .

> I'll wear the dunce hat and sit in the corner.

Are you experienced in that sort of punishment, young man?

> Ummmmmmmm, can I have a hall pass?

It depends on where you are going. :)

Dawna

--

~~A deadly secret lies within LAURA'S LEGACY, available @ Amazon.com
Our web site: http://scribes.virtualave.net/
Dawna's art site + online portfolio:
http://www.geocities.com/scribes2000/artangel.html
The Billy Squier Web Companion: http://members.xoom.com/squiersite/

The Wanderer

Oct 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/8/00
I dig Cher's voice it's just that affectation that she throws on her voice,
with that sort of phony vibrato like thing. That turn's me off. If she just
sang straight... I'd like her a lot more (like she cares what I think).

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn
"Tiny Dancer" <ti...@idirect.com> wrote in message

Jeff Troutman

Oct 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/8/00
"Oil Impressionist" <oil_impr...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> In article <DBAD5.7800$Kc.3...@news.flash.net>,
> "recsec" <rec...@flash.net> wrote:
>
> > Pssst. hey nate!!! teacher looks just
> > like a scary monster like Gamera or something don't she?!?!? snicker
> > snicker!! O shhhhh here she comes again.
> > Billy
> >

> You betcha, sweetie!!

Are you aware that you've just been compared to a giant, spinning turtle?
If it were me, it would definitely be fingernails-on-chalkboard time.

Principal Troutman

Naz Reyes

Oct 8, 2000, 8:05:27 PM10/8/00
In article <39dfae9f...@news.idirect.com>,

You're right, he doesn't, but you will KNOW it's Elton when you hear it!
:) Except for "Blue Eyes"... :-)

> Now, Harry Chapin, there's one of the not technically great but very
> emotionally unique voices of the era. Doesn't anyone else saying,
> "Harry, keep the change" in "Taxi" sound like a doofus? Not Harry,
> he could carry that singing-speaking style so well.
>
> Art Garfunkel, one of the finest voices in music period, IMHO.
>
> Kris Kristofferson, my puddle inducer from another thread :-) Rowr!
>
> Kate Bush, if we can include women in the list. She was a complete
> revelation to me at the time and I still rate her as one of the best.

Ahh...another Kate fan! You're ok in my book, TD! Have you heard "The
Dreaming" album? Gosh, that album is sooo disturbing and wild that I
just fell in love with Kate! :)

> Karen Carpenter, an angel in human form.

Absolutely right about that!

> Cher. For all the silliness around her in the 70s she did manage to
> crank out some fab tunes. Another one that's not technically a great
> singer but, man, she's got some pipes!

Cher is awesome. I still can't believe that she's as hot as ever (both
with her music and looks) after all these years. I mean, my 18 year old
cousins love her album "Believe" (I do, too) and Cher is almost 60! :-)

In her VH1 interview a few months ago, she said: if we ever have a
nuclear holocaust, there will be TWO things that will survive:
cockroaches and CHER! LOL!

-Naz

Oil Impressionist

Oct 8, 2000, 10:13:29 PM10/8/00
In article <8rqti7$lir$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>,

At times it's all right to be compared to a monster of some sort, but a
turtle? No, I didn't know that. Hmmm. I guess I need to begin
keeping up with what the *children* are reading and playing with in
their spare time.

Mrs. Dawna

;-)

--
~~A deadly secret lies within LAURA'S LEGACY, available @ Amazon.com
Our web site: http://scribes.virtualave.net/
Dawna's art site + online portfolio:
http://www.geocities.com/scribes2000/artangel.html
The Billy Squier Web Companion: http://members.xoom.com/squiersite/

Francis McGill

Oct 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/9/00
Why on earth would anyone consider Billy Squier a one-hit wonder?

In the Dark
Rock Me Tonite
Everybody Wants You
My Kinda Lover

That's just off the top of my head.

a_nate...@my-deja.com wrote:
: I heard on VH1 classic that "The Stroke"? is considered a one hit

: wonder and these guys were actually trying to analyze it, and I'm
: thinking WAIT A MINUTE - Billy just wants to be stroked now and then.
: There is nothing to analyze.

: - AND I WANNA GET STROKED TOO (but I'll settle for a backrub if that's
: not on her agenda)!!!

: So, if technically Billy is Pop/Rock Era? He gets my vote.

: Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
: Before you buy.

* *
* Francis McGill *
* a052...@bc.seflin.org *
* "Glory to God on High" *
* *

Tiny Dancer

Oct 12, 2000, 11:51:37 PM10/12/00
And so the word went out from Naz Reyes <n...@american.edu>:

I wrote:

>> Kate Bush, if we can include women in the list. She was a complete
>> revelation to me at the time and I still rate her as one of the best.
>
>Ahh...another Kate fan! You're ok in my book, TD!

So I was at least *in* the book beforehand? Whew!

>Have you heard "The Dreaming" album? Gosh, that album is sooo
>disturbing and wild that I just fell in love with Kate! :)

Heard it? Honey, I've *lived* that album! ;-) Love it but have to be in
the right mood to crank it up. 'Cause you can't play it at an acceptable
level, it must be cranked, right? I was working in a record store when
this was unleashed on the world ('82) and we got through the opening
title track, started playing "Night Of The Swallow" and the manager
(a very hip woman I got along with well, btw) came charging out of her
office and ordered it shut off! She points to the display rack and says,
"We'll move more albums if they just see her face and don't have to listen
to her caterwauling!". Here's a gorgeous color version of the black and
white cover pic (185K):

http://gaffa.org/wow/k254.jpg

Must admit she had a point :-) And while I'm looking at pics, here's the
first one I saw of her, the "Lionheart" album (1978):

http://gaffa.org/wow/k90.jpg

A guy I had a crush on brought the album to school one day and asked
me if I'd like to come over and listen to it, "She's really fantastic, you'll
love it!". Due to my being a complete and senseless twit I not only missed
out on spending time with him but on hearing Kate's voice about 2 years
before I actually did. I turned him down, told him I had to study for exams.
Exams, fer Pete's sake, can you believe it?! We could've been married
with four kids by now, making mad passionate love to Kate Bush! Or at
least to her music ;-) Actually I did manage to do that once but that's
another tale along the riverbank.

In a nutshell, I think Kate Bush is one of the most talented woman in the
music biz. If you don't like her voice (and she does hit some high notes
in her early work that can shatter glass) then you have to admire her
writing talent. I ask you, how many songs have been written about nuclear
war from the pov of an unborn reincarnated child? See "Breathing":

Outside gets inside, through her skin
I've been out before
But this time it's much safer in

>> Cher. For all the silliness around her in the 70s she did manage to
>> crank out some fab tunes. Another one that's not technically a great
>> singer but, man, she's got some pipes!
>
>Cher is awesome. I still can't believe that she's as hot as ever (both
>with her music and looks) after all these years. I mean, my 18 year old
>cousins love her album "Believe" (I do, too) and Cher is almost 60! :-)

I know, I think she's sex-on-a-stick (except for the horrible plastic surgery
she's had on her face) and she could be my .... umm ... older sister!

>In her VH1 interview a few months ago, she said: if we ever have a
>nuclear holocaust, there will be TWO things that will survive:
>cockroaches and CHER! LOL!

I *think* that was Joan Rivers' line first, sounds like her style, but I know
Cher loves to quote it. It's true, though, she has been through a heck of
a lot so far, wouldn't surprise me if she and the cockies were the only ones
left standing when It happens!

Cheers,

TD

The whims that we're weeping for
Our parents would be beaten for
Leave the breast and then the nest
And then regret you ever left
from Kate Bush's "All We Ever Look For"

Sandy

Oct 15, 2000, 10:22:30 PM10/15/00
>>2.C.F Turner(BTO)

AW! Nice pick Shawn!! Have you heard his version of House Of The Rising Sun??
Awsome!!!

And actually I like most all your other choices too, especially Elvis, Gordon
Lightfoot and Chuck Negron(as with the rest of the 3DN)

I'd add John Lennon, Wayne Newton (:P to all the snide comments I'm going to
get! :) )
John Denver, Steven Tyler, and I'm sure a host more as I go thru these
post....ooooh, and Tommy James!

Sandy

2-60
Class of 78