70s Crime Dramas

Dixon Hayes

Jan 14, 2001, 11:29:36 PM1/14/01
Awhile back we had a thread about our favorite sitcoms. Well, now let's turn
our attention toward another genre, a particular one that flourished in the
1970s: crime dramas. What was your favorite police show and/or private eye
show in those days?

My favorite police show was "Columbo". Loved the way ol' Peter Falk managed to
sucker everyone into letting themselves get caught, or that red herring clue
that he always turned up in the scene right after the murder then never
mentioned again!

Favorite private eye show: "The Rockford Files." Gotta love a guy who gets
into fights regularly...and loses.

Dixon
=============
"Let's dance, Maude...you're starting to get to me!"
--Barney Fife

Remember THE Hollywood Squares...the original and the best
http://www.geocities.com/screenjockey/classicsquares.html

DA66

Jan 14, 2001, 11:45:33 PM1/14/01
>Awhile back we had a thread about our favorite sitcoms. Well, now let's turn
>our attention toward another genre, a particular one that flourished in the
>1970s: crime dramas. What was your favorite police show and/or private eye
>show in those days?
>
>My favorite police show was "Columbo". Loved the way ol' Peter Falk managed
>sucker everyone into letting themselves get caught, or that red herring clue
>that he always turned up in the scene right after the murder then never
>mentioned again!
>
>Favorite private eye show: "The Rockford Files." Gotta love a guy who gets
>into fights regularly...and loses.

My favorite police show was Police Story. I liked the idea of a different cast
every week.

My favorite PI guy is Rockford. I go in late some mornings because he comes on
at 9 every morning.

azure

Jan 14, 2001, 11:36:47 PM1/14/01
Mannix!

and, help me out here, the same series w/ McLoud, McMillan, etc., the one w/
Tony Curtis?

azure

Dixon Hayes <dixon...@aol.comspamless> wrote in message

Ay Fongul

Jan 15, 2001, 12:06:11 AM1/15/01
>1970s: crime dramas. What was your favorite police show and/or private eye
>show in those days?

I would have to say, without a doubt, "Streets of San Francisco". I remember
having a crush on Michael Douglas, Jr. Also, I am a native San Franciscan, and
I would get the biggest kick out of seeing them filming a scene in a
neighborhood and then in a split second, they would be across town (unbeknownst
to anyone who was not familiar with the streets of San Francisco).

I also like Rockford Files cuz Jim Rockford was such a cool laid back kinda
guy.

Ang
To e-mail me, drop "urpants"

wallace ramey

Jan 15, 2001, 4:06:02 AM1/15/01
One of my favorites was Cannon. He had a cool looking Lincoln
Continental,with a mobile telephone in the console. The Police Story series
on N.B.C. was good too.
Dixon Hayes wrote in message
<20010114232936...@ng-ff1.aol.com>...

Beatlfilms

Jan 15, 2001, 1:28:15 AM1/15/01
Dixon Hayes said:

>Awhile back we had a thread about our favorite sitcoms. Well, now let's turn
>our attention toward another genre, a particular one that flourished in the
>1970s: crime dramas. What was your favorite police show and/or private eye
>show in those days?

"Starsky & Hutch" would have to be my favorite 70s police show. As for private
eye, "Rockford Files." Although those Duke cousins were awfully slick at
foiling crimes as well! :-)

Shawn

recsec

Jan 15, 2001, 3:19:53 AM1/15/01
Let's see here now. I liked:

Starsky & Hutch
Baretta (cool theme song too. Keep Your Eye On The Sparrow)
Petrocelli
Police Story
Police Woman
& Hawaii Five-0.

I just love the way McGarret (sp?) solves crimes. "Dano get me the names of
every blond male from the state of Utah that has had a cold in the last 37
years. Then cross-check that against every Polynesian dolphin trainer for
the same time period & get back to me after dinner on Sunday." Somehow Dano
did it & then at the end we got that fix we were waiting on. We had to have
it. "Book 'em Dano!!" OH YEAH!!! THIS CRIME IS SOLVED!!!
Billy

The Wanderer

Jan 15, 2001, 4:14:33 AM1/15/01
The Name Of The Game, 'nuff said.

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
Aristotle Onassis
"Ay Fongul" <ayfo...@aol.comurpants> wrote in message

Francis McGill

Jan 15, 2001, 4:52:34 AM1/15/01
"Kojak."

* *
* Francis McGill *
* a052...@bc.seflin.org *
* "Glory to God in the Highest" *
* *

recsec

Jan 15, 2001, 5:09:13 AM1/15/01

"The Wanderer" <rosieon...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> The Name Of The Game, 'nuff said.
>
> --
> Buddy
> from Brooklyn
> http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/5591/

O man I remember that one. Robert Vaughn was in it. It started out with that
car haulin' but over the salt flats as the name of the show came at you.
Hadn't seen that one in years.
Billy

WiNK

Jan 15, 2001, 8:50:23 AM1/15/01
I used to like S.W.A.T. :-)
Also watched Rockford Files and Baretta.

Nadine

--
"Soon we'll be away from here, step on the gas and wipe that tear away.
One sweet dream came true today..."

Oriole Adams

Jan 15, 2001, 9:10:09 AM1/15/01
>and, help me out here, the same series w/ McLoud, McMillan, etc., the one w/
>Tony Curtis?

McCoy

Tank

Jan 15, 2001, 9:39:05 AM1/15/01
Baretta.
Banacek.
Starsky & Hutch.

--
Tank
"Remember to pillage before you burn"

azure

Jan 15, 2001, 2:25:58 PM1/15/01
thanks

azure

Oriole Adams <oriol...@aol.com> wrote in message

Jeff Troutman

Jan 15, 2001, 4:04:24 PM1/15/01
"Dixon Hayes" <dixon...@aol.comspamless> wrote:

> My favorite police show was "Columbo". Loved the way ol' Peter Falk
managed to
> sucker everyone into letting themselves get caught, or that red herring
clue
> that he always turned up in the scene right after the murder then never
> mentioned again!

"Colombo" was my fave, too. It had a nice hook - you already knew who the
killer was, the trick was figuring out how Colombo would put it together.
He was a fantastic combination of Sherlock Holmes and some street person who
won't stop babbling at you.

> Favorite private eye show: "The Rockford Files." Gotta love a guy who
gets
> into fights regularly...and loses.

My favorite as well. James Garner played up the human side of the character
really well. Another favorite of mine was Harry O, starring David Janssen.

Jeff Troutman

Marlene Blanshay

Jan 16, 2001, 1:41:43 AM1/16/01
In article <20010115012815...@ng-fj1.aol.com>,
beatl...@aol.com (Beatlfilms) wrote:

Police Story; the Streets of San Francisco; Emergency! (does that count as
crime? Sort of precarious); The rookies; columbo. KOJAK was okay, but I
wasn't a regular viewer.

I've noticed that only a few of the 70s crime dramas seem as good today.
Many just seem silly, due to really bad scripts and hammy acting. "Police
Story" is still really good, so is "columbo".

Lynn Riley

Jan 16, 2001, 12:48:10 AM1/16/01
Oh yeah... anyone remember: "The Rookies," which was cancelled for
being too violent? I liked that one alot too.

LR

Lynn Riley

Jan 16, 2001, 12:46:02 AM1/16/01
My favs were "Police Woman" and "Barretta." "Toma" is an honorable mention -
FYI, it was cancelled, then renamed, recast and resurrected as "Barretta." But
I *loved* Angie Dickinson.

Lynn

Nancy

Jan 16, 2001, 7:02:38 AM1/16/01
I think this was more 60's but one of my favs== Perry Mason

Dixon Hayes wrote in message
<20010114232936...@ng-ff1.aol.com>...

Raphael

Jan 16, 2001, 8:42:58 PM1/16/01

Dixon Hayes <dixon...@aol.comspamless> wrote in message
> Awhile back we had a thread about our favorite sitcoms. Well, now let's
turn
> our attention toward another genre, a particular one that flourished in
the
> 1970s: crime dramas. What was your favorite police show and/or private
eye
> show in those days?

Ok, since I just have to be different <G>...

Never missed Charlie's Angels. There, I said it.
Used to watch Barnaby Jones, too.
(My absolute fave is Simon & Simon...but that's 80's)

Erin ">

Marlene Blanshay

Jan 17, 2001, 12:27:31 AM1/17/01

> Oh yeah... anyone remember: "The Rookies," which was cancelled for
> being too violent? I liked that one alot too.
>
> LR

It wasn't "The Rookies". That show ran for about 5 years. I think you mean
"SWAT". I think it was more cancelled for bad ratings than anything else;
it wasn't a very good show at all. In fact, it was crap. I remember
watching one episode and was not impressed at all. I knew some kids who
weren't even allowed to watch it, but no one had to tell me. It sucked.

DavisK

Jan 17, 2001, 1:22:14 AM1/17/01
In article <0N696.3703$AC1....@newscontent-01.sprint.ca>,

"Raphael" <raphe...@sprint.ca> wrote:

> Dixon Hayes <dixon...@aol.comspamless> wrote in message
> > Awhile back we had a thread about our favorite sitcoms. Well, now
let's
> turn
> > our attention toward another genre, a particular one that
flourished in
> the
> > 1970s: crime dramas. What was your favorite police show and/or
private
> eye
> > show in those days?
>
> Ok, since I just have to be different <G>...
>
> Never missed Charlie's Angels. There, I said it.
> Used to watch Barnaby Jones, too.

"Run, Barnaby, run!" ;>)

--
/-------|
}:^)7 -<///////}

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

DavisK

Jan 17, 2001, 1:21:20 AM1/17/01
"who loves you, baby"...

In article <93uh92$7...@nntp.seflin.org>,

DavisK

Jan 17, 2001, 1:20:23 AM1/17/01
Some good choices there, Dixon. The 70's definitely was the era of the
Crime Drama. My favourite has to be Starsky & Hutch. The cool acting,
the funky music, and the well scripted stories make it tops in my
books. My second favourite is Quincy (at least the 70's years - before
he got married). And Columbo was my third. I also liked Barnaby
Jones - it was always funny watching Buddy Ebsen run after criminals
half his age! ;>)

In article <20010114232936...@ng-ff1.aol.com>,

recsec

Jan 17, 2001, 3:48:53 AM1/17/01

"DA66" <da...@aol.complete> wrote in message

> My favorite police show was Police Story. I liked the idea of a different
cast
> every week.

Now wasn't the episode that had David Cassidy a Police Story episode that
evolved into his own short lived series?? Or was it just a TV special for
him. I'm talking about the one where he is an undercover detective who goes
back to school to bust the local angel dust dealer. His then wife Kay Lenz
was in it with him. I really loved that show. It actually had an impact on
me. It made me damned afraid to try angel dust.
Billy

recsec

Jan 17, 2001, 3:55:39 AM1/17/01
There was of course the one show that was crime related, with a LOT of
drama, but not a series. That being Scared Straight from what 78?? 9?? Man
that scared the hell out of me. But of course the main reason I watched it
was because they said it was going to be 100% totally un-censored. I tuned
in cause I wanted to see how far they would take the 100% part of it. I was
freakin' out listening to those cons. I had never heard language like that
on TV. Prior to this show the biggest cuss word I ever heard on TV came from
Hawkeye Pierce when on M*A*S*H when he was giving someone a heart massage &
he said "breathe you bastard breathe." Scared Straight tho was REAL drama.
Billy

Trit...@webtv.net

Jan 17, 2001, 3:53:41 PM1/17/01
Mannix & Hawaii 5-0 were both pretty cool...but my favorite was good ole
Barnaby Jones!! Just something about that show made me tune in week
after week. I guess I was always waiting for the day when Barnaby
would solve a crime and say "Weeeeeeeeell doggies!!" :)

Marlene Blanshay

Jan 18, 2001, 1:46:15 AM1/18/01
In article <V%c96.7481$J%.758695@news.flash.net>, "recsec"
<rec...@flash.net> wrote:

I remember that! I saw it again for the first time a couple of years ago.
I remember the series too, but it didnt' last very long.

Phaedra Alwell

Jan 18, 2001, 3:02:46 AM1/18/01
it would have to be CHIPS (which i still watch)
Charlies Angels
Columbo
I used to complain when my mmom would watch shows like that now i am
volntarily watching them what a hoot!
Phaedra '74

ANT The Monarch of Menace

Jan 19, 2001, 4:17:07 AM1/19/01

>I would have to say, without a doubt, "Streets of San Francisco". I remember
>having a crush on Michael Douglas, Jr. Also, I am a native San Franciscan,
>and
>I would get the biggest kick out of seeing them filming a scene in a
>neighborhood and then in a split second, they would be across town
>(unbeknownst
>to anyone who was not familiar with the streets of San Francisco).

I too live in San Fran and crack up whenever I see that show (and Bullit too).
Even the way *I* drive (ex NYC cabbie) there's no way to jump from one side of
town to the other!!!

I have supplied stunt cars for many TV shows and movies here in town, and in my
small way try to make sure that scenes match or make sense (continuity).
-ANT
PS What happened to the "Bah" in Ayfongul? Asked of a spaghetti bender by a
spaghetti bender.

ANT The Monarch of Menace

Jan 19, 2001, 4:18:23 AM1/19/01
>"Kojak."

Gesundheidt.

Or Kojak off in yer hat.
-ANT

ANT The Monarch of Menace

Jan 19, 2001, 4:21:50 AM1/19/01
What was that show where the lead was a sorta James Bond guy but had a
medallion around his neck that had a TV camera in it that could broadcast back
to a command center that was headed up by Burgess Meridith? They had all sorts
of computers and junk there, which at the time where pretty cutting edge, but
are laughable today.
-ANT

Nate

Jan 19, 2001, 10:07:55 AM1/19/01
>>"Kojak."
>
>Gesundheidt.
>
>Or Kojak off in yer hat.

As Kojak would say "eeeeeasy, baby"!

What about Quincy? Or was that 80's? I liked the whole forensic pathology
thing, but oh well I'm a bore and I like boring stuff like that.

Is what his name still alive?

"Our major obligation is not to mistake slogans for solutions" - Edward R.
Murrow

Dixon Hayes

Jan 19, 2001, 11:23:06 AM1/19/01
Nate wrote:

>What about Quincy? Or was that 80's? I liked the whole forensic pathology
>thing, but oh well I'm a bore and I like boring stuff like that.

Quincy wasn't boring, it was perhaps the first show of its type, to bring the
crime drama into the modern age of labs, etc. Even now, when I look at a
Mannix or Dragnet rerun, I wonder what in the world they are going to do
without being able to run DNA tests on hair samples, etc.

Yes, Jack Klugman is still alive, but is very raspy voiced due to a hellacious
bout with throat cancer.

Francis McGill

Jan 19, 2001, 1:19:06 PM1/19/01

Quincy was 80s.

Nate (anat...@aol.com) wrote:
: >>"Kojak."

Nate

Jan 19, 2001, 5:01:53 PM1/19/01
>Quincy wasn't boring, it was perhaps the first show of its type, to bring the
>crime drama into the modern age of labs, etc. Even now, when I look at a
>Mannix or Dragnet rerun, I wonder what in the world they are going to do
>without being able to run DNA tests on hair samples, etc.

Yes! that's true. That's a good point <pressing rewind and saying HEY!!!>

Before there was ever a Dana Scully (whom BTW is a doctor in forensic
pathology) there was Quincy M.D.

Tiny Dancer???????????? (care to add?)

>Yes, Jack Klugman is still alive, but is very raspy voiced due to a hellacious
>bout with throat cancer.

I knew that! (after the buzzer). I hope he's is doing well.

Dixon Hayes

Jan 19, 2001, 6:20:39 PM1/19/01
Francis McGill wrote:

>Quincy was 80s.

Actually it premiered in 1976, and ran until 1983...

Jeff Troutman

Jan 19, 2001, 9:29:23 PM1/19/01
"Nate" <anat...@aol.com> wrote:
> >Quincy wasn't boring, it was perhaps the first show of its type, to bring
the
> >crime drama into the modern age of labs, etc. Even now, when I look at a
> >Mannix or Dragnet rerun, I wonder what in the world they are going to do
> >without being able to run DNA tests on hair samples, etc.
>
> Yes! that's true. That's a good point <pressing rewind and saying HEY!!!>

True enough. It wasn't boring, although it was occasionally preachy and
shrill.

As for how someone like Mannix would handle an investigation, well, that's
why God invented fists.

Jeff Troutman

ANT The Monarch of Menace

Jan 19, 2001, 11:36:17 PM1/19/01
>Tiny Dancer???????????? (care to add?)

Tiny Dancer is how some Russian guy refers to Bailey Quarters on an episode of
WKRP (with the song of the same name playing in the background, at least when
the show was orginially aired)
-ANT

The Wanderer

ANT The Monarch of Menace

Jan 20, 2001, 12:26:40 AM1/20/01
>Ah yes, ANT. But Tiny Dancer, or TD, or Rhonda is the mistress of this house
>(a job she shares with Dawna). And she is the webmistress of our website.

Mistress?! Beat me, whip me, make me write bad checks! Alright, who said that?
-ANT

The Wanderer

Jan 20, 2001, 12:33:38 AM1/20/01
I did, the last time I had female company.

"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
Aristotle Onassis
"ANT The Monarch of Menace " <s2...@aol.computer> wrote in message

Nate

Jan 20, 2001, 1:35:12 AM1/20/01
>Awhile back we had a thread about our favorite sitcoms. Well, now let's turn
>our attention toward another genre, a particular one that flourished in the
>1970s: crime dramas.

Hey Dixon! Do you mind if I pu this thread to rest?

Someone vaguely mentioned "Hawaii 5-0" so I'm gonna say. . .

Book 'em Dano!

BOOK all the folks that responded to this thread.

ANT The Monarch of Menace

Jan 20, 2001, 3:00:37 AM1/20/01
>I did, the last time I had female company.

Why, you nasty nasty man!
-ANT

Raphael

Jan 20, 2001, 10:42:08 AM1/20/01

> >I did, the last time I had female company.
>
> Why, you nasty nasty man!
> -ANT

Hee...and he's just getting warmed up! :)

Erin ">

DA66

Jan 20, 2001, 10:56:32 PM1/20/01
>Now wasn't the episode that had David Cassidy a Police Story episode that
>evolved into his own short lived series?? Or was it just a TV special for
>him. I'm talking about the one where he is an undercover detective who goes
>back to school to bust the local angel dust dealer. His then wife Kay Lenz
>was in it with him. I really loved that show. It actually had an impact on
>me. It made me damned afraid to try angel dust.
>Billy

Give that man a cigar. You are correct. He did an episode of Police Story and
they spun him into his own show: David Cassidy, Man Undercover.

Nancy

Jan 21, 2001, 9:23:43 AM1/21/01
Where was I? I don't remember David having his own show??? Trish are you
listening to this? My guess is that the show wasn't a big hit.....
Nancy

Ay Fongul

Jan 21, 2001, 3:11:18 PM1/21/01
>s2...@aol.computer (ANT The Monarch of Menace wrote:

>PS What happened to the "Bah" in Ayfongul? Asked of a spaghetti bender by a
>spaghetti bender.

Well, since is this is a 70's NG, I thought I would make it 70's friendly by
using a quote from "Grease" which was in the 70's.

But hey, feel free to throw in a bah, an ay, whatever.... =)

Ang

To e-mail me, drop "urpants"

DA66

Jan 21, 2001, 7:59:32 PM1/21/01
>Where was I? I don't remember David having his own show??? Trish are you
>listening to this? My guess is that the show wasn't a big hit.....
>Nancy

The show wasn't on for a long period, I think only one season. I am pretty sure
that it was on NBC. Basically, he infiltrated high schools and got the dirt on
those who were pushing drugs or some other high school campus crime.