street games you played as a kid

antipos...@127.0.0.1

May 23, 2001, 7:51:15 AM5/23/01

I grew up on a great block, with lots of kids and lots of street (and sidewalk)
games, among them:

stickball
whiffleball
bottlecaps (sometimes called skelly)
touch football
monkey in the middle
manhunt
hide and go seek

I also remember the ways kids would choose up sides, including the old "engine,
engine number nine..." rhyme.

What do you guys remember about childhood street games?

Oriole Adams

May 23, 2001, 8:30:08 AM5/23/01
>What do you guys remember about childhood street games?

Kick the Can, Flashlight Tag, Hopscotch, Four Square, Mother May I?, Red
Light/Green Light, Duck, Duck, Goose.....

Amazing to look back and see how little it took to keep us busy and
entertained. No GameBoys or Nintendo or what have you.

~ Oriole ~~
The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw...

Dixon Hayes

May 23, 2001, 8:36:35 AM5/23/01
Wasn't that great? To hell with the cars, the streets were only there for us
kids to play games on and we knew it. We played touch football and tag, among
other things, and had drag races on our bikes. We loved it. Sometimes we
would just gather and chat in the middle of the street.

Oh yeah, I lived on Belmar Circle, which was perfect as a simulated race track.

Dixon
===========
"So what if she had fat knees and talked alot?"
--Barney Fife

Classic Hollywood Squares:
http://www.geocities.come/screenjockey/classicsquares.html

The Wanderer

May 23, 2001, 9:53:16 AM5/23/01
We used to play stickball ALL the time. Started playing for money when we
were in our early teens. We would play the guys on the nextblock, they were
good but so were we. We would play it "sewer to sewer". The sewer in the
middle of the block was home plate. The next sewer up was about 30 yards
away and was second base. We didn't pitch. You had to hit the Spaldeen
(Spalding) off of a bounce with a broom handle that you got from your
mother. We wrapped electrical tape around one end for a handle. Later in the
'50s they started making pre-fab stickball bats. Traffic had to stop. We
owned the street, and made the cars wait. If a car was parked, and in the
way, well.....if you got enough guys you could sort of bounce the front or
rear end of the car up and down, moving it. Sometimes we would put a car up
on the sidewalk to get it out of our way. Stickball was a way of life for us
and it is sad to see that kids today dont know anything about it, or play
it.
Then there was Buck Buck, or as it is known in
someplaces as Johnny On The Pony. Some guys would break off into two teams.
One team took the wall and all bent over. The other team, one man at a time,
would take a fast run and jump onto the backs of the other team. If one of
the offensive team (jumpers) fell off: the teams changed places.If no one
fell the last guy would shout "Buck Buck how many horns are up?" and the
leader of the offensive team would guess how many fingers were being held up
by the leader of the defensive team (and was showing to his team mates). If
he guessed to correct number the same situation was replayed. If they
guessed the wrong number then they switched roles. VERY '50s and fat people
were wanted.
We played stoopball, roofball, slapball, punchball, and
probably another 50 variations of games with a spaldeen. Skelzies, Hide The
Belt (sometimes know as hot peas and butter or something like that). We were
bad kids. Really lousy kids, I mean it. Remenber when choosing up sides "My
mother and your mother were hanging out clothes. My mother punched your
motyher right in the nose. What color blood came out?" You would then name a
color and the "chooser" while tapping on the toe of your foot would say
"Red. R-E-D and out goes Y-O-U". Or how about "One potato. Two Potato.
Three Potato. Four."?
We never put dog crap in a bag and set it on fire BUT we would stick a
firecracker (with half the powder taken from the fuse so it would burn slow)
and stick it into dog crap, light it, and then call somebody to "C'mere, now
stay here for a minute I'm gonna go over there." Bang! Well you get the
idea. We would open up the Johnny Pump (hydrant) and run through the water
to keep cool in the summer. We, as a group, would also pick up people who
didn't want to get wet and drag them into the pump. We later found out why
girls had such violent reactions to being dragged into the pump after an
"accident" or two. And whatever you did you DID NOT drive a rag top down our
blocks because, using a soup can with the top and bottom removed we were
able to direct the stream. Into your car (even a hard top with an open
window), or sometimes into someone's window across the street. We would also
make water balloons and have fights with water balloons. Or sometimes drop
them from roofs four stories high. Sometimes we would fly kites or balsam
planes.
At Halloween we would have egg fights with other
crowds. Or attack passing buses with our eggs.
After Christmas we would gather up all the Christmas trees
from wherever we could find 'em and set them on fire. Then we would try to
jump through the fire. This was S.O.P. in our neighborhood.
Wow! This brought up SO many memories of playing in the
street growing up. What a full playtime we had in the streets.

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/5591/
http://members.nbci.com/orobus12/70s.html

"It'd take a guy a lifetime to know Brooklyn t'roo an' t'roo. An' even den,
yuh wouldn't know it all."
Thomas Wolfe from Death To Morning

"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
Aristotle Onassis
<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

Mammahi

May 23, 2001, 10:52:18 AM5/23/01

<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

We played bat ball. At night the bats would hang around the street lights
to eat bugs. We put tennis balls in tube sock and tried to get the bats to
go after it. I don't remember any bat being hurt, but sometimes they would
swoop at us and we would scream and run away.

It was really fun. We did this in Frankfort, KY

Okie Anne

ChesterB

May 23, 2001, 11:37:20 AM5/23/01
We had a schoolyard/playground right across the street from our home. It had a
football/soccer field, with two baseball diamonds set up in it. Had a
basketball court, and a parking lot that we also used.

Funny thing is, whenever I heard other kids talk about how they played in the
streets and stuff, I was always dumbfounded. Little did I know that not every
kid had a playground in their neighborhood. It was a small world back then,
and i was innocent to how the rest of the world was.

I want to add to the list of games:
statues
teatherball
kill the man with the ball

+++++++++++++++--
class of '79
Kolchak rules
Sad Sack rocks
Evel was wicked

antipos...@127.0.0.1

May 23, 2001, 12:58:15 PM5/23/01

Buddy, this is a fantastic post, very descriptive, as I knew yours would be.

It's so cool to read about Brooklyn kidplay in the 60s; actually quite comparable
to Jersey City kidplay in the late 60s/70s; we, too, played stickball from
sewerplate to sewerplate, and we would also toss it up in the air, rather
than use a pitcher. The great thing about stickball is that your team size
could vary, from 2 to 10, so you could play no matter how many kids were
around. Like you, I am very sad to not see kids playing it anymore. It is
such a great, classic city game. I guess that there are still some stickball
preservationists around, but perhaps its become like bocce (sp?) ball, a
game pretty much only played by retired Italian guys in the park.

Anyway, what would we have done without those pink spaldeens, which provided
hours and hours of fun.

I also very much remember buck buck; that was a really fun game. Somehow,
no one ever got too hurt.

We've got to do the coffee thing soon.

Tom

antipos...@127.0.0.1

May 23, 2001, 1:07:11 PM5/23/01

We did have some parks and playgrounds to play in, but sometimes you'd avoid
the park because there might be a large group of toughs from another neighborhood
and you'd risk getting an ass kicking for no solid reason. We also had some
basketball courts, but you either were, or were not good at basketball (I
never was).

You mention kill the man with the ball. What was that like? We used to play
a game called kill the kid, in which one kid would try to run from one end
of one kid's back yard to the other while carrying a football. Everyone else's
job was to tackle him until he dropped the ball, whereupon someone else would
grab it and the process would repeat itself. I don't recall there being either
many rules or a scoring system.

Yeff

May 23, 2001, 1:10:57 PM5/23/01

No one's mentioned Red Rover? (my arms ache
just thinking about it!)

We also had a form of baseball that could
be played with two people and a tennis ball.
The team that was up stood on a mark that
was the pitchers mound. He'd bounce the
ball off the curb and then try to run to
base. If the ball was caught without bouncing
then the runner was out. If the outfielder
got the ball and ran it to the pictures
mound before the runner made his first base
then the runner was out. The fielder could
also throw the ball at the runner to hit
him out. The danger was that if you missed
you gave the runner a free chance to run
the bases while you were chasing down the
ball. After you made your first base you
had to announce where your runners were
before making your hit. If you didn't, then,
if you made a base, the other runners would
simply cease to exist and you wouldn't get
there forced runs. Wow, I'm now sort of
amazed at the complexity of the game that
was created by two kids simply tossing a
ball around! No two people were responsible
for all the rules, they simply evolved from
different people playing the game and adding
to it.

-Jeff B.
yeff at erols dot com

Yeff

May 23, 2001, 1:12:13 PM5/23/01
In article <3b0b...@spamkiller.newsfeeds.com>,
antipos...@127.0.0.1<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote in
alt.culture.us.1970s:

> I also very much remember buck buck; that was a really fun game. Somehow,
> no one ever got too hurt.

Wasn't there an episode of Fat Albert where they played?

antipos...@127.0.0.1

May 23, 2001, 1:11:04 PM5/23/01

One other related memory; we had this ritual where, when your sneakers were
worn out beyond use, you'd tie them together and then toss them up onto the
wires strung across the telephone poles; some blocks had dozens of pairs
of Keds, PF fliers, Converses, etc. dangling from the wires - a kind of kids'
folk art.

Nanc

May 23, 2001, 4:49:00 PM5/23/01

ChesterB wrote in message <20010523113720...@ng-fh1.aol.com>...

>I want to add to the list of games:
>statues
>teatherball
>kill the man with the ball

We played kill the man with the ball too! Also Releivio(sp?) this was hide
and seek but played in teams. One team had to go and find all of the members
of the other team. If they couldn't and wanted to give up they would yell-
"1,2,3 copy me - no releivio" then the people who weren't found would come
out.
Also the girls used to play games against the wall with a tennis ball. I
remember the name of one game was called Africa. I have no idea why it was
named that. The point of the game was to see who could get the farthest
without dropping the ball. First you would just throw the ball against the
wall, let it bouce once and then catch it. Then you would bounce the ball
around your back and between your legs to hit the wall and then catch it.
Then throw the ball under one leg and bounce it against the wall etc. etc.
Does anyone else remember what I'm talking about? It was hours of fun as I
recall.
Nanc

Jeff Troutman

May 23, 2001, 6:36:33 PM5/23/01

Yep.

Jeff Troutman

Jeff Troutman

May 23, 2001, 6:48:00 PM5/23/01
<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> What do you guys remember about childhood street games?

Hide and Go Seek
Touch Football
Tag
Four Square
Red Light/Green Light
Kick The Can

Two I need to explain:

Sardines - like Hide and Go Seek except when you found the hider, you had to
hide with them. Last one to join the pack was "it" for the next round.

Vampire - One person is "it", aka "The Vampire". The rest of the group had
to march in single file around a house (which technically does not make this
a street or sidewalk game - so sue me). The Vampire has to hide somewhere
near the house, close to the victims. As they march, the Vampire has to
sneak up and grab the last person in line. If that person screams, the game
ends and they are it for the next round. If anyone spots the Vampire, they
have to call out his location, and the game begins again, with any
previously caught victims getting back in line. If the Vampire gets
everybody, the last victim becomes "it".

Jeff Troutman

Nanc

May 23, 2001, 7:08:17 PM5/23/01
Red Rover was fun- a very strategic game. Until I was about 14 I was
extremely skinny so when my team called someone over they were sure to come
my way- Ouch! is right LOL
Nanc

Stevie Nice

May 23, 2001, 7:03:32 PM5/23/01
Off The Wall, scaling a super pinky against a wall and the # of times it
bounced were the equivalent of a base hit. Great to play when there were
only 4 people around. At least that's what I thin it was called...

np Guilty Til Proven Innocent-Jay Z & R Kelly

Scarred for life
no compensation,
Private...
Investigations-knopfler

Like the coldest winter chill
heaven beside you,
hell within-cantrell
stevie nice

The Wanderer

The Wanderer

May 23, 2001, 8:28:56 PM5/23/01
How About a week from this Friday? And if Kelly will forgive me, she'll have
coffee with us. I also forgot about Kings. Where you would occupy a box (a
piece of pavement) labelled King, Queen, Jack. The King would serve on a
bounce from the ground to the wall and then they would smack it a coupla
times until they in turn served it to the next guy. If it bounced or touched
the ground twice after hitting the wall: you were out. When you made an out
you went to the lowest box on the court and started accumulating the letters
to the word Kings. Once you accumulated all the letters the people left in
the game could call Asses Up. That meant you made the other person (loser)
had to lean on the wall bent over with their butts out. And everybody else
in the game got the throw the ball at your ass three times however hard they
felt like it. It could leave you without the desire to sit.

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/5591/
http://members.nbci.com/orobus12/70s.html

"It'd take a guy a lifetime to know Brooklyn t'roo an' t'roo. An' even den,
yuh wouldn't know it all."
Thomas Wolfe from Death To Morning

"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
Aristotle Onassis
<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

LizzieZ

May 23, 2001, 8:49:52 PM5/23/01
>remember the name of one game was called Africa. I have no idea why it was
>named that. The point of the game was to see who could get the farthest
>without dropping the ball. First you would just throw the ball against the
>wall, let it bouce once and then catch it. Then you would bounce the ball
>around your back and between your legs to hit the wall and then catch it.
>Then throw the ball under one leg and bounce it against the wall etc. etc.
>Does anyone else remember what I'm talking about? It was hours of fun as I
>recall.

I vaguely recall this game (not the name, though), but it also triggers
memories of a similar game in which we'd toss a ball up in the air through a
sequence of moves, e.g. toss/catch, toss/clap once/catch, toss/clap
twice/catch, toss/roll hands (basically the "traveling" gesture from
basketball), etc. The object was to get as far as possible through the
sequence without dropping the ball on a turn. Does this sound familiar to
anyone?

Also have to echo Chester's comment about finding it odd to play games in the
street. (Makes me think of yelling "go play in traffic!") We played at the
school playground, on driveways, and in backyards. The only thing I remember
doing in the street is riding my bike.

Has anyone mentioned HORSE yet? The basketball game where you have to make the
same shot your opponent set up and earn enough points to spell H-O-R-S-E...

Another popular one was kickball. Mainly played in gym class or recess, but
never just with kids hanging out, or as a "pickup" game.

Thanks for the memories!
Liz

Lorrie

May 23, 2001, 9:15:59 PM5/23/01
Our block had lots of kids and besides other games mentioned, the guys on the
block would build coasters. Nothing fancy, pieces of wood and shopping cart
wheels. Oh yeah, and a rope attached to the front "axles" to guide it. Our
street had a slight incline, so we'd pull the coaster up the street, and
someone would push us and we'd take off and race each other.
I'm getting homesick just thinking about it :(

Lorrie

Beatlfilms

May 23, 2001, 9:46:37 PM5/23/01
Kick The Can and Football were our two mainstays. We also had a game called
Bloody Murder; which was kinda like Hide And Seek. When the person who was "it"
was looking for the hiding people, if he/she came real close to one of them the
person hiding jumped out and screamed "bloody murder!" at the top of their
lungs and ran. I forget now what one had to do in order to not be "it" any
longer.

Shawn

Doug

May 23, 2001, 10:50:05 PM5/23/01
We played a game called "five dollars",it was a baseball game with only
outfielders a pitcher and a batter.

If the batter hit a fly ball and you caught it on the fly,the catch would be
worth $1.
If the ball was hit and it bounced on the ground 25 cents would be deducted
for each time the ball struck the ground and you would be awarded with
whatever amount was left,unless it bounced more than four times,then it was
a dead ball.The first person to accumulate at least $5 was the next batter.
And as a bonus,if a fly ball was caught on the fly,the game would be paused
while the batter put a pop bottle on home plate.If the fielder could knock
the bottle over with his throw back into the infield he automaticly got to
be the batter.
Not only did this game help with baseball skills it also helped with basic
mathematical skills.

-Dougaroo

Jamie

May 23, 2001, 10:47:54 PM5/23/01
What about street hockey aka ball hockey?? Didn't anyone play that? or
is this a Canadian phenomenon? When a car would come along, someone
would yell "car" and the play would stop until the car passed, then
back to business. It's still popular here. Through the late fall and
spring, there'd be at least one, maybe 2 or 3 separate games on our
street. I admit though.. I never did play hockey, it was more of a boy
thing.

I was more into schoolyard games such as Red Rover, double dutch, and
ball juggling with 2 small rubber balls against a wall, making various
moves. Another game that we used to put a ball into the toe of one leg
of panty hose, usually mom's cast offs, and stand with our back
against a wall, and swing the ball from side to side, doing different
moves. Anyone remember this? Anyone remember jumpsies with a rope made
of elastic rubber bands tied together?

Jamie

Jason

May 24, 2001, 12:56:09 AM5/24/01

antipos...@127.0.0.1 wrote:

> I also remember the ways kids would choose up sides, including the old "engine,
> engine number nine..." rhyme.

What about " Ink, pink, you stink-/ not because you're dirty, not
because you're clean/Just because you kissed a girl (boy) behind a
magazine?

Jason

May 24, 2001, 1:05:35 AM5/24/01

> Sardines - like Hide and Go Seek except when you found the hider, you had to
> hide with them. Last one to join the pack was "it" for the next round.

> Jeff Troutman

I really liked this one! I never had heard of it before I saw it in a
book that was part of a series called "Creative Activities" or
something like that there were three volumes called -Play It, (For
Games) Make It (Crafts) and Do It (Science and Nature stuff)

Jason

May 24, 2001, 1:09:00 AM5/24/01

Jamie wrote:

> What about street hockey aka ball hockey?? Didn't anyone play that? or
> is this a Canadian phenomenon? When a car would come along, someone
> would yell "car" and the play would stop until the car passed, then
> back to business. It's still popular here. Through the late fall and
> spring, there'd be at least one, maybe 2 or 3 separate games on our
> street. I admit though.. I never did play hockey, it was more of a boy
> thing.

Well, since I'm Canadian, too, all I can say is that my friends and I
(both boys and girls) definitely played it! We used to have a few
arguments about who got to "be" which player!

mstx

May 24, 2001, 3:35:36 AM5/24/01
Hi Yeff,
Oh yea, Red Rover....and aching arms. I forgot all about that game! I
remember playing that alot!

I also remember a bunch of us would get together with "bubble stuff" and
blow as many soap bubbles into the street as we could so we could watch the
cars drive through them.

We would have competitions with our pogo sticks to see who could jump the
longest.

I also remember around age 8-10, playing "dress up" with my friends. We
would walk down the street wearing our mom's slips, old jewelry, and hats.
We used to wonder why people driving by would stare.....

MsTx

"Yeff" <ye...@spamcop.net> wrote in message

aleen the karaoke queen

May 24, 2001, 1:38:45 AM5/24/01
Hey Tom!

I grew up in a wonderful neighbourhood with lots of great kids! Games we
used
to play include hopscotch, "kick the can", marbles, and tv tag, just to name
few! I also remember us skipping a lot of double dutch (you're talking to
the
former double dutch champion on my street here, tee hee, but when i tried to
jump double dutch with some kids down the street from me awhile back i
thought
i was going to DIE! LOL!) and we also killed our time by climbing the trees
in my backyard and running through the sprinklers! Man those were great
times!

Have a wonderful day! :-)

aleen the karaoke queen

>===== Original Message From <antipos...@127.0.0.1> =====

>I grew up on a great block, with lots of kids and lots of street (and
sidewalk)
>games, among them:
>
>stickball
>whiffleball
>bottlecaps (sometimes called skelly)
>touch football
>monkey in the middle
>manhunt
>hide and go seek
>

>I also remember the ways kids would choose up sides, including the old
"engine,
>engine number nine..." rhyme.
>

>What do you guys remember about childhood street games?

Yeff

May 24, 2001, 1:44:20 AM5/24/01
In article <9ei69i$pgp$1...@slb3.atl.mindspring.net>,
mstx<ms...@texasflood.com> wrote in
alt.culture.us.1970s:

> We would have competitions with our pogo sticks to see who could jump the
> longest.

We did a game we called "ladders" that involved
going up the steps to someone's porch. You'd
start hopping and then jump up the first step.
After you made it you had to jump back down to
the ground. From there you'd go up two steps
and then back down, repeating until you made
it to the top. The winner was the first person
to make a complete run to the top of the porch
and all the way back down (going down the same
way you went up, one series at a time). What
made the game exciting is that once you were
getting near to finishing you were exhausted
so it was easy to mess up (and *very* frustrating).
I think I made it once.

Claude Jacques

May 24, 2001, 3:20:01 AM5/24/01

<<Well, since I'm Canadian, too, all I can say is that my friends and
I (both boys and girls) definitely played it! We used to have a few
arguments about who got to "be" which player!>>

Same here...and if we didn't have enough players for a regular game,
we'd play "Showdown" :-)

In the late 70's, during the first intermission on "Hockey Night In
Canada", they'd have ShowDown, which was a lot like the All-Star
Skills Competition the NHL has nowadays. There'd be the hardest
shot, fastest skater, accurate shot and whatever...

The one event we liked to recreate was "Gump the Goalie", where one
of us would be in the classic goalie pose (slightly crouched over,
glove hand ready, stick on the ice...just like Ken Dryden on the front
of an O-Pee-Chee card... :-)) and the shooter would try to put all
5 shots past us.

The one catch: "Gump" wasn't allowed to move, even in self-defence...
owch!

Claude :-)

Jamie

May 24, 2001, 5:50:06 AM5/24/01
>to play include hopscotch, "kick the can", marbles, and tv tag, just to name
>few!

Yes, I forgot to mention hopscotch, and variations of that one, and
lots of tv tag.

>I also remember us skipping a lot of double dutch (you're talking to
>the
>former double dutch champion on my street here, tee hee, but when i tried to
>jump double dutch with some kids down the street from me awhile back i
>thought
>i was going to DIE!

And double dolly... I never really got good at that. Last year I was
teaching my kid how to do jumpsies, and I nearly killed myself doing
it!

>LOL!) and we also killed our time by climbing the trees
>in my backyard and running through the sprinklers! Man those were great
>times!

YES!!

Great memories Aleen!

Jamie

antipos...@127.0.0.1

May 24, 2001, 6:55:53 AM5/24/01

Hi Jolie,

Great to see you posting again. I was planning to email you. When do you
take off for Old Blighty?

Regards,

Tom

antipos...@127.0.0.1

May 24, 2001, 7:03:44 AM5/24/01

liz...@aol.comedy (LizzieZ) wrote:
>Also have to echo Chester's comment about finding it odd to play games in
the
>street. (Makes me think of yelling "go play in traffic!") We played at
the
>school playground, on driveways, and in backyards. The only thing I remember
>doing in the street is riding my bike.

In our neighborhood, playing in the street was the norm, but not without
the occasional consequence; I had at least two childhood friends who got
hit by cars, one of whom got hit twice. Seeing your friend get thrown to
the ground by a moving vehicle and then having an ambulance show up so that
its now an emergency situation is pretty unsettling. (Fortunately, this kid
was fine, and his injuries were not that serious.)

Dixon Hayes

May 24, 2001, 8:19:10 AM5/24/01
Tom wrote:

>I had at least two childhood friends who got
>hit by cars, one of whom got hit twice. Seeing your friend get thrown to
>the ground by a moving vehicle and then having an ambulance show up so that
>its now an emergency situation is pretty unsettling.

That's very unfortunate, I am glad his injuries were not serious. Fortunately,
the speed limit on my street was too low for such a thing to become that
common. I did, however, go bike riding with a friend (a guy named Tracy)
several streets away and we got into it with a couple of (alleged) friends of
mine (a guy named Mark was the chief instigator) who wanted me and my friend
gone all of the sudden. My friend got upset and took off on his bike, darting
blindly across Taylor Road, only to be hit by a '72 Plymouth Fury. Very
unsettling thing to see when you're nine. (I still remember the teenaged girl
who was driving, freaking out. It was her mother's car.) Fortunately, he only
had a small concussion; boy did I catch hell over it (but not as much as the
"alleged" friend, Mark).

Dixon
===========
"So what if she had fat knees and talked alot?"
--Barney Fife

Classic Hollywood Squares:
http://www.geocities.come/screenjockey/classicsquares.html

LizzieZ

May 24, 2001, 8:35:25 AM5/24/01
>and we also killed our time by climbing the trees
>>in my backyard and running through the sprinklers! Man those were great
>>times!

Of course!! How could I forget the sprinkler games?? Not only did we use the
regular sprinkler that rotated back and forth, but we had a hill in our
backyard that was perfect for the Slip 'n Slide! Remember that?? The ultimate
70s water sport!! We also had the other one that I can only vaguely
remember... I think it was like a clown's head or something, and the water shot
up out of the top raising its hat... Ack! Big hole in my brain here!! LOL

Liz

The Wanderer

May 24, 2001, 8:51:29 AM5/24/01
The area where I grew up< Sunset Park, Booklyn didn't have but a coupla
traffic lights. And 5th Avenue was/is the main thoroughfare. The traffic
lights on 5th were about every 10 blocks. And while the sidestreets had to
yield 5th had the right of way at all times. A lot of people speeded on this
two lane two way street. Sometimes on a Sunday afternoon, or a Saturday
night, two guys would decide to race the length of 5th from one light to the
next. Now remember I said that this was 2 lanes with one going in each
direction. So if there were no cops visible a race would sometimes take
place. Well every summer at least one kid was ground up for roadkill.
Sometimes we'd get to see it. Or, sometimes it was because they ran out
suddenly between 2 parked cars. That was pretty standard for a summertime.
It was kinda traumatic but it taught us to be careful, seeing some poor half
crushed kid bleeding to death in front of our eyes. We learned early;
survival of the fittest.(fastest, smartest, most aware, etc.) Now there's a
traffic light on almost every corner. What was the name of that song "Too
Much, Too Little, Too Late"?

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/5591/
http://members.nbci.com/orobus12/70s.html

"It'd take a guy a lifetime to know Brooklyn t'roo an' t'roo. An' even den,
yuh wouldn't know it all."
Thomas Wolfe from Death To Morning

"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
Aristotle Onassis

"Dixon Hayes" <dixon...@aol.comspamless> wrote in message

Oriole Adams

May 24, 2001, 9:21:13 AM5/24/01
>I think it was like a clown's head or something, and the water shot
>up out of the top raising its hat...

Water Wiggle! I remember the commercials for it, but my folks would never pop
for one. We had to make do with the regular sprinkler. Likewise the Slip N
Slide; my mom said it was invented by some out-of-work chiropractor who was
looking to make some money.

~ Oriole ~~
The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw...

Oriole Adams

May 24, 2001, 9:41:00 AM5/24/01
>What about " Ink, pink, you stink-/ not because you're dirty, not
>because you're clean/Just because you kissed a girl (boy) behind a
>magazine?

I've never heard of this, but it reminds me of a rhyme my friend's dad used to
tell us all the time (he was from Ireland, so maybe it was an Irish thing....):

Ahem! Ahem! Your mummy's gone to church
She says you couldn't play with me
because you're in the dirt.
It isnt' because you're dirty
It isn't because you're clean
It's because you've got the whooping cough
And you eat margarine.
(Pronounced "mar-jar-een")

mstx

May 24, 2001, 11:55:36 AM5/24/01
There are some sneakers strung over a telephone wire at my kid's school that
have been there as long as I can remember.....Interesting idea.....kids'
folk art...

MxTx

<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

> One other related memory; we had this ritual where, when your sneakers
were
> worn out beyond use, you'd tie them together and then toss them up onto
the
> wires strung across the telephone poles; some blocks had dozens of pairs
> of Keds, PF fliers, Converses, etc. dangling from the wires - a kind of
kids'
> folk art.

mstx

May 24, 2001, 11:58:39 AM5/24/01
Hi Oriole,

Lol! I think your mom was right! After a day on the "Slip N Slide" I was
always sore all over. As for the "Water Wiggle"....that thing use to scare
the living daylights out of me because it seemed alive!!! Never could enjoy
it! I was a wimpy kid!!!!

MsTx

"Oriole Adams" <oriol...@aol.com> wrote in message

Mammahi

May 24, 2001, 10:29:04 AM5/24/01

"LizzieZ" <liz...@aol.comedy> wrote in message

I was playing outside mostly in the 60's. We did Vietnam war games alot.
Seems disturbing now. Did any of you all play Army?
Anne Johnson

aleen the karaoke queen

May 24, 2001, 10:41:41 AM5/24/01
Hey Tom! How are you doing? I have missed you guys! Yes I was going to
e-mail you too, just to drop you a line! I was away for a week because an
old
friend of mine and I went for a road trip to South Dakota to see every campy
monument that we could (the corn palace, america's largest pheasant, the
international vinegar museum, just to name a few!) I know that's cheesy, but
I'm a cheesy kinda gal! I leave for England in mid-August, so I still have
bit of time to get everything ready for my move! I don't think I realize
all
the things I really have to do between now and then, eeeeek! By all means,
drop me an e-mail any time though, Tom! I hope that everything is going
just
wonderfully for you, and I look forward to talking to you again very soon!

Have a fabulous day, Tom! :-)

Jolie

>===== Original Message From <antipos...@127.0.0.1> =====

>Hi Jolie,
>
>Great to see you posting again. I was planning to email you. When do you
>take off for Old Blighty?
>
>Regards,
>
>Tom
>

>aleen the karaoke queen <al...@MailAndNews.com> wrote:
>>Hey Tom!
>>
>>I grew up in a wonderful neighbourhood with lots of great kids! Games we
>
>>used
>>to play include hopscotch, "kick the can", marbles, and tv tag, just to
>name
>>few! I also remember us skipping a lot of double dutch (you're talking
>>the
>>former double dutch champion on my street here, tee hee, but when i tried
>>jump double dutch with some kids down the street from me awhile back i
>>thought

>>i was going to DIE! LOL!) and we also killed our time by climbing the trees

>>in my backyard and running through the sprinklers! Man those were great
>
>>times!

aleen the karaoke queen

May 24, 2001, 10:54:17 AM5/24/01
WOO HOO! Hey Jamie! Sounds like we had very similar memories of growing
up!
I laughed out loud when you were talking about showing your kid how to do
jumpsies! LOLOL! After I jumped double dutch awhile back, I was like "Oww,
my back!" and this is awful but my bladder ain't what it used to be! TOO
MUCH
INFORMATION! I guess my body can't take the shock of jumping over and over
and landing on my feet on hard concrete quite like it used to! Did you ever
play those games where you would tie the ends of the jump rope together and
two "enders" would hold the rope with their ankles in a rectangular shape
and
someone would jump in the middle saying "in out in on half way half way out"
or something like that? then if you got that round done, the enders moved
the
rope so they hold it with their knees? we used to play that game all the
time, and another one where there were three enders and they would hold the
rope in a triangle shape with one ankle each! anyone else remember this?

Have a wonderful day! :-)

aleen the karaoke queen

>===== Original Message From mcer...@sympatico.ca =====

>>to play include hopscotch, "kick the can", marbles, and tv tag, just to name
>>few!
>

>Yes, I forgot to mention hopscotch, and variations of that one, and
>lots of tv tag.
>

>>I also remember us skipping a lot of double dutch (you're talking to
>>the
>>former double dutch champion on my street here, tee hee, but when i tried to
>>jump double dutch with some kids down the street from me awhile back i
>>thought
>>i was going to DIE!
>

>And double dolly... I never really got good at that. Last year I was
>teaching my kid how to do jumpsies, and I nearly killed myself doing
>it!
>

>>LOL!) and we also killed our time by climbing the trees
>>in my backyard and running through the sprinklers! Man those were great
>>times!
>

>YES!!
>
>Great memories Aleen!
>
>Jamie

Sandy

May 24, 2001, 11:40:41 AM5/24/01
We played lots of street games in our neighborhood.

Hide-n-go-seek tops the list as well as tag (played in a endless numbers of
ways ie: Freeze tag, tv tag etc.) Dodge ball, Street hockey, 7 Up, Outs, Red
Rover (I hated that game!) Chinese School
(remember that one? Chineses School has just begun
No more laughing, no more fun
If you show your teeth or tongue
you may pay a penalty.)
Blindmans bluff (we would blindfold one of us and take them to somewhere in
the neigborhood. They would then have to guess where they were) Bottle Cap
(which I have now passed down to my son....and which I remain UNDEFEATED by
him, hehehe!) Chinese Jump Rope (LOVED that game!) , along with many "clapping
games" such as Catagories, and jump rope. There is one game I can't remember
how we played it, but the gist (or is that jist?) was that you threw a ball up
and yelled out a brand name of cigarette. You then would throw the ball at
someone, but I forget all the inbetween parts! (Anne, can you help me out?) We
played four-square and plain old hopscotch.

Ooo, and another I game I LOVED playing was jacks! We took that up when I was
about 15, and just played all the time for a long stretch of time. As a matter
of fact, I just made this "memory" box for Anne, and one of the things I glued
on it was a couple of those same jacks and I cut one of the balls in half and
stuck that on too! :)

We also had lots of fun just making games up. One was in the winter. We had a
football field behind my house, Russel Field, and when it would snow good, we
would go over there and drag our feel all over, making tracks. Then we would
play tag, only you had to stay on the tracks. It was a bummer if you hit a
dead end!

Boy, do I miss those days!

Sandy

2-60
Class of 78

Sandy

May 24, 2001, 11:44:57 AM5/24/01
>Hide The
>Belt

OMG Buddy....I had forgot all about that game. The boys in the neighborhood
would play that. That was too nasty of a game for us girls... ouch!

Sandy

May 24, 2001, 11:48:11 AM5/24/01
>We played bat ball. At night the bats would hang around the street lights
>to eat bugs. We put tennis balls in tube sock and tried to get the bats to
>go after it. I don't remember any bat being hurt, but sometimes they would
>swoop at us and we would scream and run away.
>
>It was really fun. We did this in Frankfort, KY
>
>Okie Anne

Whew, Okie Anne....I was worried when I heard that term "bat ball" and realized
it meant with *real* bats! Thanks for clearing it up for me :)

Sandy

May 24, 2001, 11:50:25 AM5/24/01
>We had a schoolyard/playground right across the street from our home. It had
>football/soccer field, with two baseball diamonds set up in it. Had a
>basketball court, and a parking lot that we also used.
>
>Funny thing is, whenever I heard other kids talk about how they played in the
>streets and stuff, I was always dumbfounded. Little did I know that not
>every
>kid had a playground in their neighborhood. It was a small world back then,
>and i was innocent to how the rest of the world was.

Its funny chester, we did too. Except it was behind my house minus the school.
But it was amazing how we all ended up on the street half the time anyway! We
lost more street hockey balls down the sewer....you'd think we'd learn! :)

Sandy

May 24, 2001, 11:52:45 AM5/24/01

Thats sounds like what we called Outs Jeff B....except we had a lot with
garages across the street from me and would throw the ball up against that
instead of the curb.

It was easier to hit! ;)

Sandy

May 24, 2001, 11:54:18 AM5/24/01
>We did a game we called "ladders" that involved
>going up the steps to someone's porch. You'd
>start hopping and then jump up the first step.
>After you made it you had to jump back down to
>the ground.

Yes, we played that too! But we never gave it a name.

Sandy

May 24, 2001, 12:03:28 PM5/24/01
>Also the girls used to play games against the wall with a tennis ball. I
>remember the name of one game was called Africa. I have no idea why it was
>named that. The point of the game was to see who could get the farthest
>without dropping the ball. First you would just throw the ball against the
>wall, let it bouce once and then catch it. Then you would bounce the ball
>around your back and between your legs to hit the wall and then catch it.
>Then throw the ball under one leg and bounce it against the wall etc. etc.
>Does anyone else remember what I'm talking about? It was hours of fun as I
>recall.
>Nanc

I remember versions of that kind of game. One as mentioned in a previous post
was 7-up. We would do things like you mentioned, but do them 7 times and count
as we did each "1,2,3,4,5,6,7 up!"

Do you remember Plainsies Clappsies?

Plainsies, clappsies, roll the ball, tabbabsie
Highckasies, lowckasies,
my right hand and my left hand,
touch me knee, touch my toe,
touch my heel and away we go!

Then double up on everything, like do everything with clappsies etc. The first
one to get through the whole thing wins.

How about "A" my name is Alice, My husbands name is Al. We live in Alabama and
we sell Apples. This was played bouncing a ball and putting your leg over it
everytime you said a word with the letter you were on.

On the same idea was...
Concentration the letter A
may I repeat the letter A
Because I like the letter A
Apple begins with the letter A!

I tell you, L was wicked hard! :)

Sandy

May 24, 2001, 12:05:15 PM5/24/01
>I vaguely recall this game (not the name, though), but it also triggers
>memories of a similar game in which we'd toss a ball up in the air through a
>sequence of moves, e.g. toss/catch, toss/clap once/catch, toss/clap
>twice/catch, toss/roll hands (basically the "traveling" gesture from
>basketball), etc. The object was to get as far as possible through the
>sequence without dropping the ball on a turn. Does this sound familiar to
>anyone?

Could that be Plainsies Clappsies, Liz?

Sandy

May 24, 2001, 12:10:45 PM5/24/01
>Our block had lots of kids and besides other games mentioned, the guys on the
>block would build coasters. Nothing fancy, pieces of wood and shopping cart
>wheels. Oh yeah, and a rope attached to the front "axles" to guide it. Our
>street had a slight incline, so we'd pull the coaster up the street, and
>someone would push us and we'd take off and race each other.
>I'm getting homesick just thinking about it :(
>
>Lorrie

Yes Lorrie, we did that too! Well, mostly the boys did. We did make one once,
and it came out pretty cool. The only problem was we didn't have any wheels to
go on it. Didnt go very fast that way!
The way we made the seat was to get milk crate...remember the old ones that
were made out of wood?....and just bang one side out and voila! a seat!

Sandy

May 24, 2001, 12:12:54 PM5/24/01
>Sardines - like Hide and Go Seek except when you found the hider, you had to
>> hide with them. Last one to join the pack was "it" for the next round.
>
>> Jeff Troutman
>
>I really liked this one! I never had heard of it before I saw it in a
>book

I was thinking the same thing! Sounds like a cool game I would have loved to
play. Damn adulthood!

Sandy

May 24, 2001, 12:14:00 PM5/24/01
> I admit though.. I never did play hockey, it was more of a boy
>thing.

Well we did Jamie, and usually got clobbered! The boys were MEAN on our
street!

Sandy

May 24, 2001, 12:41:49 PM5/24/01
> an
>old
>friend of mine and I went for a road trip to South Dakota

South Dakota!? Hey, thats where the Ingalls family finally settled. Did you
see any Little House sites there? I've got to do that pilgrimage one of these
days!

Yeff

May 24, 2001, 12:42:04 PM5/24/01
In article <20010524114041...@ng-mf1.aol.com>,
Sandy<sand...@aol.com> wrote in
alt.culture.us.1970s:

> Chinese Jump Rope (LOVED that game!)

"In-it, out-it, side-by-side, on-it,
in-it, out-it!" <g>

-Jeff B. (Urm, who saw his sisters playing that once. [1])
yeff at erols dot com

[1] That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Sandy

May 24, 2001, 12:47:06 PM5/24/01
>Did you ever
>play those games where you would tie the ends of the jump rope together and
>two "enders" would hold the rope with their ankles in a rectangular shape
>and
>someone would jump in the middle saying "in out in on half way half way out"
>or something like that? then if you got that round done, the enders moved
>the
>rope so they hold it with their knees? we used to play that game all the
>time, and another one where there were three enders and they would hold the
>rope in a triangle shape with one ankle each! anyone else remember this?

Thats Chinese Jump rope Jolie! (can I call you Jolie?..it's such a pretty
name!)
We played it...

IN, (with your feet straddling the rope, you'd jump up and put both feet in
the middle

OUT, ( jump back to having both feet on either side again)

ON (jump landing with each foot on a side of the rope.)

IN (jump in again)

OUT (jump out again)

Then you did the whole Plainsies clappsies pattern to it.

That's how we played anyway :)

Mammahi

May 24, 2001, 2:53:26 PM5/24/01

"Yeff" <ye...@spamcop.net> wrote in message

Ohh! We played that too!

Cing chong china man
Chop chop chop
Eating candy
In a candy shop

Anne Johnson

Moon Goddess

May 24, 2001, 3:04:42 PM5/24/01

> >What do you guys remember about childhood street games?
> >

> Kick the Can, Flashlight Tag, Hopscotch, Four Square, Mother May I?, Red
> Light/Green Light, Duck, Duck, Goose.....

Ghost in the Graveyard, Battleball...

My mother and your mother were hanging out clothes.
My mother gave your mother a punch in the nose.
What colour was the blood?

Blue

B-L-U-E! You're not It!

Anne

May 24, 2001, 3:57:40 PM5/24/01
Sandy wrote:
[...]

I sure miss those days too, San! Boy, we DID have a great time in the old
'hood now, didn't we??

As far as that cigarette naming game goes, I also can't recall what the other
details were. We'll have to have another neighborhood reunion and ask
everyone else what they remember from those days.

I LOVED playing tag in the snowy field. The best part was making the tracks.
We didn't care how cold our feet were and, in fact, I remember always having to
sit on the radiator when I got home to thaw my toes (and other parts too!).

For the rest of you guys, San mentioned the memory box she made. It is so
great! It has vintage 70s clippings from our local paper, The Cambridge
Chronicle" decoupaged onto it. Also, there are all kinds of memorabilia from
our younger days....the yellow-middle-of-the-45-record thingy....half of a
vintage 70's Dixie cup..... an unused ride ticket from an amusement park here
in Salisbury, Massachusetts we went to in the Summer of 1976...the stub of a
movie ticket from our local theater, The Fresh Pond Cinema (was that when we
went to see Silver Streak, San??)......part of a string of "love beads"....the
jack & ball she mentioned......the center of a mood ring (now permanently fixed
at black)......a gum wrapper chain made in those days from Juicy Fruit,
Wrigleys Doublemint, Freedent & Beechnut wrappers......a kissing cousins
charm.....the logo from a bag from a now defunct chain store, Zayre, where San
bought all her records and where I waiting impatiently while she scanned every
45...it's amazing.

Inside the box were several of the letters she and I exchanged to one another
in our younger days, plus some of my dubious artwork. Geez, San, you didn't
want to frame my paintings and hang them in your gallery? LOL. Reading the
letters just reminds me again of how lucky I am to have and still have such an
incredible best friend! Thanks again, San.
You are the BEST!

Love ya!

Anne :-)
Class of 1980

Larry Naessens

May 24, 2001, 4:33:49 PM5/24/01

"Jamie" <mcer...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> What about street hockey aka ball hockey?? Didn't anyone play that? or
> is this a Canadian phenomenon?
- - -
Actually I'm surprised we didn't play street hockey. I grew up in Dearborn
Michigan, near Detroit and hockey was and still is very popular. But no
street hockey. Baseball for a while. Then somebody's line drive sort of
cracked a windshield. Well, maybe a little more than cracked... game over.
Still, I really don't think I needed to be grounded. *grin*

Larry

Still the Oldies Rocker

LizzieZ

May 24, 2001, 6:49:49 PM5/24/01
>7 Up

We played this game just about any time we had a substitute teacher in a class
in grade school. Perfect way to kill time without having to teach us anything.
(Assuming we're talking about the same 7 Up...) The way we played was sitting
at our desks, head down, with our thumbs up on the desk. Then the 7 people who
were "it" went around and each put one thumb down. After they were done, we
all lifted our heads back up and had to guess which person had put our thumb
down. Of course, it was easy to cheat if you watched the shoes of the people
walking by while your head was down... ;-)

Liz

LizzieZ

May 24, 2001, 6:53:35 PM5/24/01
>The object was to get as far as possible through the
>>sequence without dropping the ball on a turn. Does this sound familiar to
>>anyone?
>
>Could that be Plainsies Clappsies, Liz?

It's sort of starting to ring a bell, Sandy! At least the word clappsies was a
part of it, but with regional differences, who knows if it was the same game!
:-)

Liz

wtrezz

May 24, 2001, 7:06:45 PM5/24/01
Anyone ever play SPUD? A group of kids all stand in a circle around a
kid with a ball. He or she throws the ball straight up into the air
and the other kids run like heck. When he catches it he yells "SPUD"
and everyone has to stop running. The person with the ball spells out
loud the letters S-P-U-D as he takes a step with each letter and then
has to peg someone with the ball,then they are it. Very popular game
on my block on Long Island.

Yeff

May 24, 2001, 7:29:34 PM5/24/01
In article <3b0d92bb...@news.amexol.net>,
wtrezz<wtr...@yahoo.com> wrote in
alt.culture.us.1970s:

Yep, we played that but I don't think we spelled SPUD.
I think we yelled STOP before taking the steps and
spelled it out when we took our steps towards the
nearest person.

This thread is great!

-Jeff B.

Endymion9

May 24, 2001, 8:05:25 PM5/24/01
<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

> I grew up on a great block, with lots of kids and lots of street (and
sidewalk)
> games, among them:
>
> stickball
> whiffleball
> bottlecaps (sometimes called skelly)
> touch football
> monkey in the middle
> manhunt
> hide and go seek
>
> I also remember the ways kids would choose up sides, including the old
"engine,
> engine number nine..." rhyme.
>
> What do you guys remember about childhood street games?

Our main street game was kickball. In driveways we placed
Green light, red light
Mother may I?
Simon Says
--
Dennis/Endy
~dancing us from the darkest nights is the rhythm of love powered by the

ChesterB

May 24, 2001, 8:32:12 PM5/24/01
We played a game we called HOMERUN BALL. The game was played with two teams,
with at least 2 played on a team.

We layed out boundry lines and the batter would "pitch" to himself. Ther
defense would line up one behind the other in the field. An "out" would be if
a fly-ball was caught in the air, or if the 1st fielder caught a grounder
without dropping it.
A "single" would be if the ball got past the 1st fielder. A "double" would be
if it got past the 1st and back fielders. A "triple" would be in the air past
all fielders. And a "homer" would have to go beyond a designated line, in the
air.

Another baseball game we palyed was 700. A batter would hit balls to the field
and the fielders would earn points depending on how they caught the ball. In
the air was 100, or with a one-handed catch it was 200. A grounder was 50.
Points were deducted for a dropped ball. Whoever got to 700 got to go up to
bat.

Anyone play HOTBOX? That was a 3 person game, with two people at 2 seperate
bases. A runner would start off at one of the bases and try to run back and
forth between bases without getting tagged out. The trick was for the runner
to try and get the catchers to drop the ball or overshoot it so he could run to
the other base.

Darned if I have seen anyone play any of these games anymore. Whiffle ball is
the only thing these noisy bastard kids play around this neighborhood. Matter
of fact - I can't say that I ever see any of the kids play ANY kind of games
outside the usual basketball.

+++++++++++++++--
class of '79
Kolchak rules
Sad Sack rocks
Evel was wicked

Relayer211

May 24, 2001, 9:12:21 PM5/24/01

>Yes, and Bill Cosby also used it on one of his early albums.

yep,the album was called "Revenge".

I was so much older then,I'm younger then that now -Bob Dylan

"ALVINTCHASE"

Stevie Nice

May 24, 2001, 9:01:24 PM5/24/01
Did anyone mention Ringo-levio? We used to meet at the park about 8, cop
our bags, get a quart of Olde English and wear off our highs by playing
this until 1 in the morning...

Scarred for life
no compensation,
Private...
Investigations-knopfler

Like the coldest winter chill
heaven beside you,
hell within-cantrell
stevie nice

LizzieZ

May 24, 2001, 10:57:02 PM5/24/01
>Anyone ever play SPUD?

D'oh!! How could I have forgotten SPUD, especially when I brought up HORSE?!?
I used to LOVE playing Spud. Thanks for the reminder, and welcome to
delurkdom! :-)

Liz

aleen the karaoke queen

May 24, 2001, 11:40:59 PM5/24/01
Hey Sandy! Yes indeed it was, and I believe we were close to her
birthplace,
(I saw signs saying to come and visit, but unfortunately at that point of
our
trip we were all monumented out, tee hee!) I just loved those books as a
kid
though and it would have been wonderful to have seen!!!

Have a wonderful day! :-)

aleen the karaoke queen

>===== Original Message From sand...@aol.com (Sandy) =====

>> an
>>old
>>friend of mine and I went for a road trip to South Dakota
>
>South Dakota!? Hey, thats where the Ingalls family finally settled. Did you
>see any Little House sites there? I've got to do that pilgrimage one of
these

>days!
>

>Sandy
>
>2-60
>Class of 78

aleen the karaoke queen

May 24, 2001, 11:50:57 PM5/24/01
LOL ahhh yes Chinese Jump Rope!! You have a wonderful memory Sandy! And
yes
by all means you can certainly call me Jolie if you wish to, thank you for
the
compliment! :-)

Have a wonderful day!

aleen the karaoke queen aka Jolie!

>===== Original Message From sand...@aol.com (Sandy) =====
>

>Thats Chinese Jump rope Jolie! (can I call you Jolie?..it's such a pretty
>name!)
>We played it...
>
>IN, (with your feet straddling the rope, you'd jump up and put both feet in
>the middle
>
>OUT, ( jump back to having both feet on either side again)
>
>ON (jump landing with each foot on a side of the rope.)
>
>IN (jump in again)
>
>OUT (jump out again)
>
>Then you did the whole Plainsies clappsies pattern to it.
>
>That's how we played anyway :)

Jamie

May 24, 2001, 9:50:35 PM5/24/01
>The person with the ball spells out
>loud the letters S-P-U-D as he takes a step with each letter and then
>has to peg someone with the ball,then they are it. Very popular game
>on my block on Long Island.

I LOVED that game! I forgot all about it.

Jamie

Jamie

May 24, 2001, 10:04:26 PM5/24/01
>WOO HOO! Hey Jamie! Sounds like we had very similar memories of growing
>up!
>I laughed out loud when you were talking about showing your kid how to do
>jumpsies! LOLOL!

I imagine the neighbours were laughing out loud too, especially after
landing on my butt a few times ;)

> Did you ever
>play those games where you would tie the ends of the jump rope together and
>two "enders" would hold the rope with their ankles in a rectangular shape
>and
>someone would jump in the middle saying "in out in on half way half way out"
>or something like that? then if you got that round done, the enders moved
>the
>rope so they hold it with their knees?

I only kinda remember that one. But what I do remember is taking the
jumpsie rope, one person on each end, and the third person doing a
series of moves twisting it with our legs, something like Cats Cradle
except with a jumpsie rope. And we did it to Mama's little baby loves
shortnin' shortnin' Mama's little baby loves shortnin' bread...

I loved this stuff!

Jamie

Nanc

May 25, 2001, 6:57:09 AM5/25/01
Is it the game I called Re-levio? Hide and seed but in teams? BTW what's
Olde English? Sounds like an after shave LOL!
Nanc

Stevie Nice wrote in message
<17572-3B...@storefull-175.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...

Nanc

May 25, 2001, 7:01:07 AM5/25/01
That's so sweet. I forgot about those gum-wrapper chains. You too are more
like sisters than friends :-)
Nanc

Nanc

May 25, 2001, 7:02:37 AM5/25/01
I remember 7 up now. Thanks for the memory jog!
Nanc

Nanc

May 25, 2001, 7:12:30 AM5/25/01
I remember that one Moon Goddess! How about jump rope songs?:
"Not last night but the night before, 24 men came knocking at my door. As I
ran out to let them in, this is what they said to me": ( at this point the
two people swinging the rope would go really fast or "pepper" as we called
it ) "Rich man, poor man, beggar man, thief, doctor, lawyer, indian chief"
What ever they were singing when you got out is the kind of man you would
marry someday.
Nanc

Nanc

May 25, 2001, 8:35:04 AM5/25/01
Sure Jeff and I'll bet you never played double-dutch either ;)

wtrezz

May 25, 2001, 11:37:08 AM5/25/01
I don't know if it qualifies as a street game, but anyone else flip
baseball cards and probably ruin thousands of dollars worth of
collectible cards?

Sandy

May 25, 2001, 11:25:31 AM5/25/01

Yeah, Liz....I think I remember that too! It was so fun having substitutes,
wasn't it?

The 7-up I was refering to was a game you played with a tennis ball. You'd
throw it up 7 times (hence the name) and then do the whole Plainsies Clappsies
thing to it. This is IF I'm remembering it right! lol!

Sandy

May 25, 2001, 12:06:04 PM5/25/01
>Hey Sandy! Yes indeed it was, and I believe we were close to her
>birthplace,
>(I saw signs saying to come and visit, but -----------

Wow, but you were close!! :)

Actually, she wasn't born there. SD is where they ended up in. It tells about
it In The Shores Of Silver Lake. She eventually moves on from there with
Almanzo and Rose, but Caroline and Charles stay there.

Someday I'll get there *sigh*

MartiDave

May 25, 2001, 12:17:26 PM5/25/01
In article <3b0d92bb...@news.amexol.net>, wtr...@yahoo.com (wtrezz)
writes:

We played this game all of the time in my suburban NJ neighborhood. We also
played just about every version of tag, as well as a number of games that
involved using telephone wires as a volleyball net. We had lots of kids and
lots of big yards so we played many different versions of baseball and
football. We never played in the streets much, it was actually too hilly and
curvy. My favorite games were the monumental hours long multi yard games of
hide and seek that just seemed to last all night.

Dave

Sandy

May 25, 2001, 12:08:06 PM5/25/01
>LOL ahhh yes Chinese Jump Rope!! You have a wonderful memory Sandy! And
>yes
>by all means you can certainly call me Jolie if you wish to, thank you for
>the
>compliment! :-)
>
>Have a wonderful day!

Well, see, I haven't totally grown up yet :)
I still walk around saying that in my head sometimes (in, out, side, side, on,
in, out)
Keeps me sane......or makes me INsane! lol!!

And your welcomed Jolie! :)

MartiDave

May 25, 2001, 12:25:59 PM5/25/01
In article <20010525120604...@ng-mf1.aol.com>, sand...@aol.com
(Sandy) writes:

> SD is where they ended up in.

I got my nose broken in South Dakota! Just figured i would add that to the
converstaion.

Dave

Mammahi

May 25, 2001, 2:09:27 PM5/25/01

"wtrezz" <wtr...@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message

> I don't know if it qualifies as a street game, but anyone else flip
> baseball cards and probably ruin thousands of dollars worth of
> collectible cards?

Nope, we preferred to ruin them on our bicycle spokes!

Anne Johnson

The Wanderer

May 25, 2001, 2:45:22 PM5/25/01
We used to take a fruit crate, or some other wooden box, a 2"x4" x3' and an
old rollerskate. We'd nail the crate to the 2"x4" and then nail the front
half of the skate to the front of the 2"x4" and the rear to the rear. You
then had a racing cart which we would paint and decorate with nailed on
bottle caps. We would start from the corner of 6th Ave. and race down to the
corner of 5th Ave. being carefull to stop so we wouldn't go plummeting into
some very fast, very heavy traffic that wasn't thinking about stopping or
braking anytime soon. We also used an iold text book, sat it on a skate, and
then sat on the text book, pushing off with your hands. And then riding and
racing from one corner to the other with the same caveat on traffic.
At Halloween we would take these massive
sticks of colored chalk put the in a sock and stomp on the sock until the
chalk would turn to dust. The sock was knotted near the top so the dust
could not leak out. But you could swing the sock like a blacjack and it
would leave a large colored dust stain on whoever you hit with it.

--

"Sandy" <sand...@aol.com> wrote in message
> >Our block had lots of kids and besides other games mentioned, the guys on
the
> >block would build coasters. Nothing fancy, pieces of wood and shopping
cart
> >wheels. Oh yeah, and a rope attached to the front "axles" to guide it.
Our
> >street had a slight incline, so we'd pull the coaster up the street, and
> >someone would push us and we'd take off and race each other.
> >I'm getting homesick just thinking about it :(
> >
> >Lorrie
>
> Yes Lorrie, we did that too! Well, mostly the boys did. We did make one
once,
> and it came out pretty cool. The only problem was we didn't have any
wheels to
> go on it. Didnt go very fast that way!
> The way we made the seat was to get milk crate...remember the old ones
that
> were made out of wood?....and just bang one side out and voila! a seat!

The Wanderer

May 25, 2001, 2:48:40 PM5/25/01
Sandy, I think they got rid of all the Little Houses with the advent of
indoor plumbing. :)

--

> > an
> >old
> >friend of mine and I went for a road trip to South Dakota
>
> South Dakota!? Hey, thats where the Ingalls family finally settled. Did
you
> see any Little House sites there? I've got to do that pilgrimage one of
these
> days!

The Wanderer

The Wanderer

The Wanderer

The Wanderer

MartiDave

May 25, 2001, 3:36:31 PM5/25/01

#1 I was playing soccer in college. We had an away game in SD. I was playing
a great game, I already had one goal. In the second half I got kicked in the
face. I was knocked almost out, and I had my nose broken. The worst part was
the ref called me for a foul. Then, we proceded to lose.

# 2 Maybe I am already in the SD Mafia and I just haven't said anything. You
know, for years My Uncle Lou owned a trash disposal firm in Central New Jersey.
There were always rumors.

Dave
P.S. Thanks for the laugh I needed it.

Marlene Blanshay

May 25, 2001, 4:52:40 PM5/25/01
In article <3B0C982B...@home.com>, Jason <JASON...@home.com> wrote:

> Jamie wrote:
> >
> > What about street hockey aka ball hockey?? Didn't anyone play that? or
> > is this a Canadian phenomenon? When a car would come along, someone
> > would yell "car" and the play would stop until the car passed, then
> > back to business. It's still popular here. Through the late fall and
> > spring, there'd be at least one, maybe 2 or 3 separate games on our
> > street. I admit though.. I never did play hockey, it was more of a boy
> > thing.
>
> Well, since I'm Canadian, too, all I can say is that my friends and I
> (both boys and girls) definitely played it! We used to have a few
> arguments about who got to "be" which player!

And, of course, the other canadian street game-hockey card trading! I
remember every spring, the boys in the driveway tossing the cards against
the garage door!

Stevie Nice

May 25, 2001, 6:23:01 PM5/25/01
Nanc wrote in message:

Is it the game I called Re-levio? Hide and seed but in teams? BTW what's
Olde English? Sounds like an after shave LOL!

That's it!! Great workouts we used to have playing that game on the
school block. Hiding under parked cars!?, bushes near the school, school
roof?!, and occasionally just off the block entirely.

Olde English was our malt liquor of choice..., tasted like after shave
though, specially if you sip it thru a straw.

The Wanderer

Jamie

May 25, 2001, 9:42:21 PM5/25/01
>remember every spring, the boys in the driveway tossing the cards against
>the garage door!

Yes! I used to flip cards a bit too... but I wasn't a pro at it like
some of the boys in the neighbourhood. And, I just remembered.. I had
some great Partridge Family trading cards. But how many boys are now
regretting having flipped cards, until they were dog eared and
tattered, and now seeing those same cards at trade shows, selling
Bobby Orr or Guy Lafleur cards for real money.

Dixon Hayes

May 25, 2001, 10:23:20 PM5/25/01
Anne Johnson wrote:

>Nope, we preferred to ruin them on our bicycle spokes!

I did that too...Rod Carew bobbed through the spokes of my beloved Sears
3-Speed Screamer a/k/a "the widowmaker" for years. Made it sound like a
motorcycle (since it already looked like one and was slightly less safe than
one).

Dixon
===========
"So what if she had fat knees and talked alot?"
--Barney Fife

Classic Hollywood Squares:
http://www.geocities.come/screenjockey/classicsquares.html

Claude Jacques

May 26, 2001, 2:21:23 AM5/26/01
On Fri, 25 May 2001 16:52:40 -0400, blan...@total.net (Marlene
Blanshay) wrote:

>And, of course, the other canadian street game-hockey card trading! I
>remember every spring, the boys in the driveway tossing the cards against
>the garage door!

Yep...did that. Between "closies", "flipsies" and wrapping an elastic
band around them, no wonder nobody has a Gem Mint Gretzky RC... :-/

Claude :-{)>

Mammahi

May 26, 2001, 4:52:36 PM5/26/01

> I also forgot to mention pitchin' pennies (or nickels, dimes, or
quarters).
> Used to be able to make some money.
>
> --
> Buddy
> from Brooklyn

LOL Buddy! I remember when I was in the third grade, some eighth grade boys
got expelled for pitching pennies!

Anne Johnson

It is loading more messages.