Mcdonalds Menu's

nas...@nando.net

Oct 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/30/96

Does anyone remember the names of the burgers Mcdonalds had back in the late 70's
I seem to remember one that had lettuce and tomato and mustard but I cant remember what it
was called. Thanks,Wesley

djd

Oct 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/30/96

Lesse, there was the Regular Hamburger, the Regular Cheeseburger, the
Big Mac (two all beef patties special sauce lettuce cheese pickles
onions on a sesame seed bun), and later the Quarter Pounder. Oh, and
that stinko Fish Sandwich (anybody ever really eat those things?)
Don't remember of they ever had a chicken samich back then.

Duane

Doran

Oct 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/30/96

Marie wrote:

> Shakys Pizza, Sonic drive-in was just starting out and Kentucky Fried
> Chicken was pretty new too. Any others you all can think of?

Don't forget Pioneer Chicken, Pup 'n Taco, and Sambo's.

Remember how the french fries at Carl's Jr. were in the '70s? They were
crinkle-cut fries made from pressed potato bits. They actually tasted
better than the fries now.

Marie

Oct 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/31/96

The Big Mac.......
In my Senior year we would skip class to drive to the big
city of Wichita Ks , stuff ourselves with Big Macs and fries
turn around and head back to Smallville with smiles on our faces.

If I remember right Pizza Hut was just starting out in the 70's and it
was always a big deal to get to eat out at our favorite Pizza Hut.

Who remembers A&W Rootbeer stands, the best rootbeer ever!!
Remember there were Pappa, Mamma , Teen and Baby bugers?

Shakys Pizza, Sonic drive-in was just starting out and Kentucky Fried
Chicken was pretty new too. Any others you all can think of?

Marie

djd

Oct 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/31/96

In <559f0c$l...@camel0.mindspring.com> tou...@mindspring.com (Marie)
writes:

>The Big Mac.......
>In my Senior year we would skip class to drive to the big
>city of Wichita Ks , stuff ourselves with Big Macs and fries
>turn around and head back to Smallville with smiles on our faces.
>
>If I remember right Pizza Hut was just starting out in the 70's and it
>was always a big deal to get to eat out at our favorite Pizza Hut.
>
>Who remembers A&W Rootbeer stands, the best rootbeer ever!!

I still have 2 A&W mugs that I 'appropriated' from the store in Buena
Park, CA.

>Remember there were Pappa, Mamma , Teen and Baby bugers?

Yup.

>Shakys Pizza, Sonic drive-in was just starting out and Kentucky Fried
>Chicken was pretty new too. Any others you all can think of?
>
>Marie

How about Orange Julius?

Duane
djd...@ix.netcom.com

buck

Oct 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/31/96

Marie, remember Burger King came out with the King's crown made out of
cardboard paper? Or how bout the Burger King puppet? I think in the 70's,
the toys that you would get for the kids were much more creative then. The
only other fast food rest. that I can remember was Ginos. Amy

nas...@nando.net

Oct 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/31/96

The McRib, I loved this one, B-B-Q sauce dripping off the edges with a large order of Fries
and a Coke. BTW the sauce they used on the McRib was also used on the McJordan burger here
in NC 2 years ago. That was a good sandwich also. Wesley

Molly J. Fagan

Oct 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/31/96

In article <55adg4$p...@news.tcd.net>, per...@tcd.net (Perry and Lauri) writes:
> tou...@mindspring.com (Marie) wrote:

<snip>

>>Who remembers A&W Rootbeer stands, the best rootbeer ever!!
>>Remember there were Pappa, Mamma , Teen and Baby bugers?
>
> Never worked here, but do you also remember the tiny mugs? I look for
> them at flea markets. I have two of the large mugs and I keep them in
> hte freezer. Helps the taste of canned rootbeer.

Are you talking about the tiny mugs that they served the free kid
sized rootbeer in? I just found out a couple of years ago from my mom that
whenever we went to the A&W, that the size my parents got for my siblings and
me were free. And they were tiny. And to top it off, my mom and/or my dad
had to take a big drink out of it before they'd pass it back to us. Each of
us kids would only wind up with half of a tiny mug of rootbeer:-(

| Molly J. Fagan |
| |
| fagan...@cobra.uni.edu "Restless soul, |
| fa...@cns.uni.edu enjoy your youth." |
| mf1...@cedarnet.org --Pearl Jam |
| http://www.cs.uni.edu/~fagan/index.html |

Larry Frase

Oct 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/31/96

nas...@nando.net wrote:

>Does anyone remember the names of the burgers Mcdonalds had back in the late 70's
>I seem to remember one that had lettuce and tomato and mustard but I cant remember what it
>was called. Thanks,Wesley

what was that burger California style they served in a styrofoam
container with two sides, one side for the meat (soy) and one side had
the fixings (lettuce, tomatoe). The slogan was "cooll side down , hot
side up" or something like that! Im sure it was called a MC-
something.

db

Oct 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/31/96

db writes:
I think that was called "McLean Deluxe"

L. Sutton

Oct 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/31/96

In the mid 70s I remember McDonalds did some "test" products- remember
the "Triple Riple" Ice Cream Cone? The McRib Sandwich? Of course they
made tose rancid Green Shamrock Shakes until the 80s on every St Patricks
day. Do they still make strawberry sundaes????

Also- KFC in the mid 70s started selling barbecue ribs...the commercials
stated "The Colonel's Got Ribs"....which always grossed me out, because
it made it somehow seem canibalistic.....

Brett Woodbury

Oct 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/31/96

It was actually called the McDLT, like BLT.

Michael Klauss

Nov 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/1/96

lfr...@pclink.com (Larry Frase) wrote:

>what was that burger California style they served in a styrofoam
>container with two sides, one side for the meat (soy) and one side had
>the fixings (lettuce, tomatoe). The slogan was "cooll side down , hot
>side up" or something like that! Im sure it was called a MC-
>something.

The McDLT...I remember it well. The slogan was something like "Keeps
the hot side hot and the cool side cool". The McDLT was a burger from
the early to mid 1980's, as far as I know.

Michael

Vinny Hrovat

Nov 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/1/96

In our last episode, djd...@ix.netcom.com(djd) spoke thusly:

>In <558623$1o...@rtpnews.raleigh.ibm.com> nas...@nando.net writes:
>>
>>Does anyone remember the names of the burgers Mcdonalds had back in
>the late 70's
>>I seem to remember one that had lettuce and tomato and mustard but I
>cant remember what it
>>was called. Thanks,Wesley

Ya mean real tomato and leafy lettuce instead of that pulverized stuff? Geez, i
don't remember that. It might've been a local/regional market test that didn't
pan out. Or maybe it was resurrected as the Arch Deluxe after years of
corporate think tanking.

>Lesse, there was the Regular Hamburger, the Regular Cheeseburger, the
>Big Mac (two all beef patties special sauce lettuce cheese pickles
>onions on a sesame seed bun), and later the Quarter Pounder. Oh, and
>that stinko Fish Sandwich (anybody ever really eat those things?)
>Don't remember of they ever had a chicken samich back then.

I think McDonald's first piloted their McChicken and McRib sandwiches to
regional markets in the mid-late 70's, followed closely by McNuggets.
McChicken, of course, is still around. McRib was re-released in the early 90's
and i think it's history again.

Off-topic: the only redeeming quality about the Arch Deluxe is that it's
generated 99 cent promotional sales in two of its competitors' flagship burgers
(Burger King's Whopper and Jack-in-the-Box's Jumbo Jack). Interesting how it
takes McDonald's years of market analysis to develop an inferior product . . . .

---
* (@) * "Counting stars by candlelight . . . . "
. |~| * . Vinny Hrovat
| | . * . grix-at-wco-dot-com (spam deterrent)
* | | * http://www.wco.com/~grix/
C\_|_|_/ . . (opinions herein are mine, etc.)

David Timmins

Nov 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/1/96

In article <559f0c$l...@camel0.mindspring.com>, tou...@mindspring.com wrote:
>The Big Mac.......
>In my Senior year we would skip class to drive to the big
>city of Wichita Ks , stuff ourselves with Big Macs and fries
>turn around and head back to Smallville with smiles on our faces.
>
>If I remember right Pizza Hut was just starting out in the 70's and it
>was always a big deal to get to eat out at our favorite Pizza Hut.
>
>Who remembers A&W Rootbeer stands, the best rootbeer ever!!
>Remember there were Pappa, Mamma , Teen and Baby bugers?
>
>Shakys Pizza, Sonic drive-in was just starting out and Kentucky Fried
>Chicken was pretty new too. Any others you all can think of?
>
>Marie

Let's not forget Geno's, with their "Geno's Giant"; a precurser to the Big
Mac.

PauSto

Nov 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/1/96

David Timmins wrote:

> Let's not forget Geno's, with their "Geno's Giant"; a precurser to the Big
> Mac.

Geno's Giant was a main stay! I have a Geno's ash tray. Made of Melmack
I believe.

jim and/or ann

Nov 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/1/96

Two memories belong in this thread:

Regarding root beer...one of the fondest memories of my
childhood involves driving into town on summer evenings after my father
finished milking his cows to get a gallon of A&W rootbeer. The taste of
it brings back those hot, humid Wisconsin nights quite vividly...but the
A&W in cans just isn't quite the same. Gotta have it out of the
fountain, in those big heavy glass mugs somebody mentioned in another
post. (These mugs are widely available at antique stores and flea
markets now.)

The other thing: my favorite hamburger place as a kid was
called Geri's. Don't know if this was strictly a Wisconsin/Illinois
thing or not (there used to be several of them around), but we used to
drive 20 miles to eat at this place, and all five of us could eat for
less than five bucks. One time my brother and I badgered Mom and Dad to
take us down the street to McDonalds, instead of going to Geri's.
McDonald's paled in comparison.

jim
("The past isn't dead. It isn't even past." --William Faulkner)

Laura Weiss Linger

Nov 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/1/96

In article <a1f7cc$d327...@news.pclink.com> lfr...@pclink.com (Larry Frase) writes:

>what was that burger California style they served in a styrofoam
>container with two sides, one side for the meat (soy) and one side had
>the fixings (lettuce, tomatoe). The slogan was "cooll side down , hot
>side up" or something like that! Im sure it was called a MC-
>something.

You are thinking of the McDLT. It debuted in the mid-to-late 80's, not the
1970's.

--lwl :-)

Fashion is Me Too. Style is Me Only.
--Hubert de Givenchy
Laura Weiss Linger
wei...@cfs.purdue.edu
Standard Disclaimers Apply

Vinny Hrovat

Nov 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/2/96

In our last episode, "buck" <bu...@enter.net> spoke thusly:

In Phoenix AZ we had a chain called Burger Chef, which featured Burger Chef and
Jeff as mascots. Also Whataburger, who liked to boast that they cooked burgers
to order instead of stacking them under heat lamps.

Vinny Hrovat

Nov 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/2/96

In our last episode, got...@chelsea.ios.com (Michael Klauss) spoke thusly:

>lfr...@pclink.com (Larry Frase) wrote:
>
>>what was that burger California style they served in a styrofoam
>>container with two sides, one side for the meat (soy) and one side had
>>the fixings (lettuce, tomatoe). The slogan was "cooll side down , hot
>>side up" or something like that! Im sure it was called a MC-
>>something.

>The McDLT...I remember it well. The slogan was something like "Keeps

>the hot side hot and the cool side cool". The McDLT was a burger from
>the early to mid 1980's, as far as I know.

Yeah, i remember it now - that was early-mid eighties where i lived. William
"The Refrigerator" Perry (large ex-Chicago Bears defensive lineman and short
lived pop phenom) was the pitch man for this product. His speaking part in this
high paying role, as i recall, consisted of "Is hot, is coo' - mmmmm, mmmmm!" or
similar words.

helena

Nov 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/2/96

Marie wrote:

> The Big Mac.......
> In my Senior year we would skip class to drive to the big
> city of Wichita Ks , stuff ourselves with Big Macs and fries
> turn around and head back to Smallville with smiles on our faces.
>
> If I remember right Pizza Hut was just starting out in the 70's and it
> was always a big deal to get to eat out at our favorite Pizza Hut.
>
> Who remembers A&W Rootbeer stands, the best rootbeer ever!!
> Remember there were Pappa, Mamma , Teen and Baby bugers?
>
> Shakys Pizza, Sonic drive-in was just starting out and Kentucky Fried
> Chicken was pretty new too. Any others you all can think of?
>
> Marie

I went to an A & W in Anacortes, Wa the other week and they have the
speaker menus at the parking stalls. Love those teen burgers.

Family nights a Shakey's Pizza used to have stained glass windows and a
player piano. The words would be on the wall with a bouncing ball for
family sing-along.

McDonald's used to have dime hamburgers once a year and the place would
be packed. It was the neatest thing to go to a McDonald's tour for a
field trip.

helen

Charles Hobbs

Nov 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/2/96

Vinny Hrovat wrote:

> In Phoenix AZ we had a chain called Burger Chef, which featured Burger Chef and
> Jeff as mascots. Also Whataburger, who liked to boast that they cooked burgers
> to order instead of stacking them under heat lamps.

That's what California's "In-and-Out" chain boasts of today. (Is
Whataburger still out in Arizona? Most of the ones I know of are in
the Southern states--Texas, Tennesee, etc.)

Charles Hobbs

Nov 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/2/96

djd wrote:

> How about Orange Julius?

You still see those places, but mostly in shopping malls, not
freestanding. (They also serve hot dogs and other food items as
well)

Charles Hobbs

Nov 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/2/96

L. Sutton wrote:

> In the mid 70s I remember McDonalds did some "test" products- remember
> the "Triple Riple" Ice Cream Cone? The McRib Sandwich? Of course they
> made tose rancid Green Shamrock Shakes until the 80s on every St Patricks
> day. Do they still make strawberry sundaes????

I remember the Shamrock shakes. Kelly green, with a touch of mint.
They also used to have "Arctic Orange" shakes in the late summer.

Last I heard, they had a "Shake of the Month". For example, eggnog in
December, etc.

> Also- KFC in the mid 70s started selling barbecue ribs...the commercials
> stated "The Colonel's Got Ribs"....which always grossed me out, because
> it made it somehow seem canibalistic.....

Big deal. You should have seen the ribs. They were these skimpy little
things . . .

helena

Nov 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/2/96
to jim and/or ann

Hi there! You can still buy the A & W mugs at A & W restraunts. I know
of two around me and there's one in Surrey, B.C.

Charles Hobbs

Nov 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/2/96

djd wrote:

> Pencil cases with the 'slide rule' multiplication tables on them

I remember those. You wouldn't want to be caught with one at school,
though, or you'd get a good dressing down from one of the teachers
about "being too lazy to learn your math facts".

(Calculators, as we know them today, cost about $200 in 1974)

Julie A. Ernsberger

Nov 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/3/96

In article <55adg4$p...@news.tcd.net> per...@tcd.net (Perry and Lauri) writes:

>Does anybody here live where there are Steak n Shake restaurants? They
>used to be really cool and have curb service but now they have Drive
>through windows. I worked there in the summer of 77.'

There is a Steak n Shake in FT. Wayne, IN. Originally from Michigan, I
thought they were something new...adds on tv al the time for them. No
Sporks..real plates.

Andrew Crossett

Nov 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/3/96

In article <55alvh$m...@usenetw1.news.prodigy.com>, ZBP...@prodigy.com
says...

>In the mid 70s I remember McDonalds did some "test" products- remember
>the "Triple Riple" Ice Cream Cone? The McRib Sandwich? Of course they
>made tose rancid Green Shamrock Shakes until the 80s on every St Patricks
>day. Do they still make strawberry sundaes????

I vaguely remember the ice cream cones. The McRib sandwich was processed
meat pressed into the shape of ribs (no bones) and put in a bun. The
Shamrock Shakes are still around to this day, at least where I live. I
remember once getting one in which the machine malfunctioned and gave me a
whole cup of syrup--none of that gum arabic/soybean/soylent green stuff they
refer to as "ice cream". It was like taking a big swallow of Binaca.

And of course there used to be Arctic Orange shakes at Halloween, and
disgusting eggnog shakes at Christmas.

>Also- KFC in the mid 70s started selling barbecue ribs...the commercials
>stated "The Colonel's Got Ribs"....which always grossed me out, because
>it made it somehow seem canibalistic.....

That was when KFC began trying to sneak in spurious non-fowl menu items. I
mean, chicken ribs?

--
Andy Crossett
a...@spectra.net

Vinny Hrovat

Nov 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/3/96

In our last episode, Charles Hobbs <tra...@primenet.com> spoke thusly:

>djd wrote:

When i was a junior and senior in high school (1978-1979), calculators had
become more affordable and were quite popular among the nerd set at my school
(we called 'em the "space cadets" . . . .). Their weapon of choice was the
Texas Instruments TI-30, a chunky black calculator that had a phony blue denim
carrying case with a belt hook. The space cadets always had their TI-30's
looped to their belt and ready for quick action, even though they carried the
rest of their books and stuff in backpacks. Must've been their take on fashion.

I think the TI-30 cost about $100-125 at this time. By 1981 the price had
dropped to maybe $30-40, and the new programmable TI-55, true to its name, was
about $55. I got a TI-55 as a college student; it had a black leatherette
carrying case that stayed in my Levi's backpack. I never learned all of its
functionalities and nuances, but was at least able to program it to flash the
numbers 5.3177345 and 58008. When held upside down, it appeared that the
calculator was flashing "ShELLIE'S BOOBS". Which was MY take on fashion. Sigh.

Vinny Hrovat Vinny Hrovat

Nov 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/4/96

In our last episode, helena <kil...@whidbey.net> spoke thusly:

>Hi there! You can still buy the A & W mugs at A & W restraunts. I know
>of two around me and there's one in Surrey, B.C.

I just saw an A&W restaurant in Marin County (California) yesterday. First one
i'd seen in years, or perhaps just the first one i'd noticed.

nas...@nando.net

Nov 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/4/96

Does anybody remember "The McFeast" burger. Mid to Late 70's
I loved this burger. I believe it had lettuce,onions,mustard cheese. I think thats what it
had, Anybody know the ingredients please post. Wesley

nas...@nando.net

Nov 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/4/96

The McDLT What a hamburger, I always had trouble getting everything to stay together. I seem
to remember that this was sometimes in the mid 80's. I dont know when they discontinued it.
Wesley

Bryan Cowan

Nov 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/5/96

> In our last episode, Charles Hobbs <tra...@primenet.com> spoke thusly:
>
> >djd wrote:
>
> >> Pencil cases with the 'slide rule' multiplication tables on them
>
> >I remember those. You wouldn't want to be caught with one at school,
> >though, or you'd get a good dressing down from one of the teachers
> >about "being too lazy to learn your math facts".

This was also an 80s thing too-I remember those from the early 80s when I
was in elementary school. Teachers didn't seem to care, tho.

> >(Calculators, as we know them today, cost about $200 in 1974)
>
> When i was a junior and senior in high school (1978-1979), calculators had
> become more affordable and were quite popular among the nerd set at my school
> (we called 'em the "space cadets" . . . .). Their weapon of choice was the
> Texas Instruments TI-30, a chunky black calculator that had a phony blue denim
> carrying case with a belt hook. The space cadets always had their TI-30's
> looped to their belt and ready for quick action, even though they carried the
> rest of their books and stuff in backpacks. Must've been their take on
fashion.

> I think the TI-30 cost about $100-125 at this time. By 1981 the price had
> dropped to maybe $30-40, and the new programmable TI-55, true to its name, was
> about $55. I got a TI-55 as a college student; it had a black leatherette
> carrying case that stayed in my Levi's backpack. I never learned all of its
> functionalities and nuances, but was at least able to program it to flash the
> numbers 5.3177345 and 58008. When held upside down, it appeared that the
> calculator was flashing "ShELLIE'S BOOBS". Which was MY take on
fashion. Sigh.

When I was a kid I had a black Casio calculator that I could do all sortof
fun things with. Then I dropped chocolate drink on it.

In my desk drawer I have a 1970s Sharp Elsi Mate EL-8117K that I found
among my grandmother's stuff after she died. It has basic functions plus
memory. It has the old style green digital number display (remember
those?) It takes 2AA batteries.

BTW, who was Shellie?

Tony Carr

Nov 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/5/96

nas...@nando.net wrote:

Does anyone remember the Red Barn? It was a burger joint the shape of
a barn that gave out glasses with a Canadian flag (US?).

Trudi Marrapodi

Nov 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/5/96

For a high-school graduation gift in '79 I got a little Casio calculator
that also had a clock and perpetual calendar. In those days before
personal organizers, this was a huge deal. The clock also played music
instead of just "beep beep" alarms--set it with one button and it played
Beethoven's "Fur Elise," set it with the other and it played the
"Tarantella Napolitana."

That calculator made it easy to meet people on my dorm floor. Whenever
anyone asked me the time I would just whip it out and bam, instant
conversation.

Trudi
www...@frontiernet.net

Kent Wayson

Nov 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/5/96

Does anyone remember "Red Barn" restaurants? They had some food
"mascots" (one was a drumstick) but I can't remember their names...

Kent

MBEnglish

Nov 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/5/96

In article <327f9ff0...@news.nando.net>, khel...@nando.net (Keith
Helmink) writes:

>They were next door to Hardee's with their "Gilbert Giddiup" and
>"Speedey McGreedy" cartoon characters.

OOOOOOOOO! "Hurry on down to Hardees! Where the burgers are charcoal
broiled!" Recently my sister cleaned out my parents attic and found a
Gilbert Giddiup Flyer, miniature frisbee that they capped your drink with.
It is orange plastiv with Gilbert's face on it. I took it and put it in my
china cabinet. It is a treasure.

Remember the "H" on the sign was like a round grill?

"Lonely and dreaming of the West coast..." Everclear.
Risser

Keith Helmink

Nov 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/5/96

st...@interlog.com (Tony Carr) wrote:

>Does anyone remember the Red Barn? It was a burger joint the shape of
>a barn that gave out glasses with a Canadian flag (US?).

Yes, and I remember the "Hamburger Hungries" commercials and the
"Barnbuster" burger.

They were next door to Hardee's with their "Gilbert Giddiup" and
"Speedey McGreedy" cartoon characters.

regards,

keith

khel...@nando.net

djd

Nov 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/6/96

In <327C24...@primenet.com> Charles Hobbs <tra...@primenet.com>
writes:

Ahhh, In-n-Out!! I moved from Huntington Beach to Dallas a few years
ago and one thing I do miss is a Double Double from In-n-Out. Yummy.
What-A-Burger out here is no comparison.
There was a Burger Chef in Fullerton (my hometown) that we used to go
to at Orangethorpe and Brookhurst.

Duane
djd...@ix.netcom.com

Tony Luna

Nov 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/6/96

djd...@ix.netcom.com(djd) wrote:

>Duane
>djd...@ix.netcom.com

Was Burger Chef the hamburger place where all the mascots were
monsters? the mummy?, Dracula? Frankinstien?

Brian E. Robinson

Nov 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/7/96

>> Does anyone remember the Red Barn? <<

When I was a kid I thought that they had the best tasting burgers in the
industry. And they didn't have to use worms like Wendy's <g>.

--
Brian E. Robinson KiN...@DeLTaNeT.COM
11/06/96 18:06

tb...@ripco.com

Nov 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/8/96
to Kent Wayson

In article ,
What was most scary about it was no one could recall the difference between the Barnbuster and the Big Barney, not even the workers
This article was posted to Usenet via the Posting Service at Deja News:
http://www.dejanews.com/ [Search, Post, and Read Usenet News!]

Terri Sprague

Nov 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/8/96

Doran <d...@netcom.com> wrote:

>Marie wrote:

>Remember how the french fries at Carl's Jr. were in the '70s? They were
>crinkle-cut fries made from pressed potato bits. They actually tasted
>better than the fries now.

They were fantastic! I could never figure out why they changed them.

Does anyone remember Straw Hat Pizza? Friday and Saturday night they
had live bands. Sing alongs too, and they showed old black and white
comedies on the movie screen (Laurel and Hardy, Little Rascals, some
silent movies). They also had mechanical horses for the kids to ride.
It didn't cost anything either, all you had to do was ask one of the
employees for a token. They also had Hot Hat's. Meat wrapped in
dough and baked. I loved their Ham & Cheese Hot Hat's.

You sat at long wooden tables with benches. It was a great place for
after a ball game. The whole team could sit together.

Terri Sprague
tspr...@mail.microserve.net

Rox...@nando.net

Nov 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/8/96

My first job was at Hardees in Raleigh N.C. in 1975. I remember cooking those Charcoal Broiled
Burgers. I used to love the Hardee Huskie, Remember that one? Back then they had good fries
also. They #@%& today! That Hardees is gone now. It was of the original design. Memories.........................Wesley

Kent Parks

Nov 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/8/96

: >what was that burger California style they served in a styrofoam

: >container with two sides, one side for the meat (soy) and one side had
: >the fixings (lettuce, tomatoe). The slogan was "cooll side down , hot
: >side up" or something like that! Im sure it was called a MC-
: >something.

: The McDLT...I remember it well. The slogan was something like "Keeps
: the hot side hot and the cool side cool". The McDLT was a burger from
: the early to mid 1980's, as far as I know.

Later than that, I think--I remember having a dicussion about it (don't
ask...) in 1987 and it had not been around TOO long then.

Kent

Hobbs

Nov 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/9/96

Vinny Hrovat wrote:
I got a TI-55 as a college student; it had a black leatherette
> carrying case that stayed in my Levi's backpack. I never learned all of its
> functionalities and nuances, but was at least able to program it to flash the
> numbers 5.3177345 and 58008. When held upside down, it appeared that the
> calculator was flashing "ShELLIE'S BOOBS". Which was MY take on fashion. Sigh.

Ah, the calculator game. We'd turn them upside down, and spell words
like "hell" all day (we probably wanted to spell a few other words, but
were (fortunately?) limited by the 7-segment technology in common
use then.. ..)

Mary Ann

Nov 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/14/96

x-no-archives: yes

Terri Sprague wrote:

> Does anyone remember Straw Hat Pizza? Friday and Saturday night they
> had live bands. Sing alongs too, and they showed old black and white
> comedies on the movie screen (Laurel and Hardy, Little Rascals, some
> silent movies). They also had mechanical horses for the kids to ride.
> It didn't cost anything either, all you had to do was ask one of the
> employees for a token. They also had Hot Hat's. Meat wrapped in
> dough and baked. I loved their Ham & Cheese Hot Hat's.
>
> You sat at long wooden tables with benches. It was a great place for
> after a ball game. The whole team could sit together.
>
> Terri Sprague
> tspr...@mail.microserve.net

No, but I remember our family going out to Shakey's Pizza. They still have Shakey's,
but it's not the same. Used to be they'd have the Player Piano going and some guy
playing the banjo. Then they had sing-alongs with the words up on the screen. There
was a window where you could watch the guy toss the pizza crust, and it was *so* good!
It was really fun for us little tikes :) Great for B-day parties too.

--
Mary Ann *----* Friend of ALS "This we will Defend"
& Putt *----* CASHP#28-96, CASHK#96-003

Doran

Nov 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/14/96

Terri Sprague wrote:

> Does anyone remember Straw Hat Pizza? Friday and Saturday night they
> had live bands. Sing alongs too, and they showed old black and white
> comedies on the movie screen (Laurel and Hardy, Little Rascals, some
> silent movies). They also had mechanical horses for the kids to ride.
> It didn't cost anything either, all you had to do was ask one of the
> employees for a token. They also had Hot Hat's. Meat wrapped in
> dough and baked. I loved their Ham & Cheese Hot Hat's.

There's a Straw Hat near our house. Their pizza used to be good, but
for some reason, the quality went downhill.

I remember Tim Conway did one of their commercials. Martin Mull also
did another.

Doran.

goo...@deltanet.com

Nov 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/15/96

I think the quality went downhill because of the onset of the "family"
pizza parlor, e.g. Chuckie Cheese. That, and more aliens were buying into
pizza joints as a business with no conception of what makes a good pizza.

Gooshie