Unusual Record Jackets

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Nov 14, 2001, 10:03:02 AM11/14/01

As I go through my vinyl, here is another piece of nostalgia from the LP era;
specialized or unusual record jackets. Remember these? There were several
memorable examples, such as:

The Stones - Sticky Fingers (designed by Andy Warhol) which had a zipper
so that you could unzip Mick's trousers

Also by the Stones: Some Girls, which had a colorful cover design of a wig
ad, with the models' faces cut out; the inner sleeve, on both sides, were
a series of distorted photos of various Stones members, actresses, socialites,
etc., which would then appear to be the faces in the wig ad. Peter Corriston
did a very imaginative job on this.

Similarly, Led Zepp had various photos on the inner sleeve which appeared
through holes in the outer cover on Physical Graffiti.

Right now, I am also looking at a very clever cover design for a Cheech and
Chong album, Los Cochinos. The cover shows the duo inside a car, somewhere
out in the desert. The upper right corner has an opening where the inner
sleeve pulls out. On the back cover is a photo of Cheech and Chong dressed
as women.

Then, when you take the inner sleeve out, the photo of the two inside the
car reveals the inside of the car door, which shows their stash. And the
gag photo underneath this is one of Cheech and Chong sitting in the car with
their "female" counterparts. The whole thing is a very clever visualization
of Cheech and Chong humor, which I once thought and still think is very funny.

So, any other unusual record jacket designs?
-------------------
none of our pockets are filled with gold
nobody's caught the bouquet
there are no dead presidents we can fold
nothing is going our way

--Tom Waits (More Than Rain, 1987)

Stevie Nice

Nov 14, 2001, 10:37:50 AM11/14/01

<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>So, any other unusual record jacket designs?

Didn't Andy Warhol design the Velvet Underground cover with the peel off
banana skin? My father must have bought that album when I was about 6 or
7 and I peeled the banana strip off and placed it right in between the album
jacket. He was NOT amused.

Also The Motors album "Tenement Steps" is cut on the side of the cover to
make it look like steps.

np Blurry by Puddle Of Mudd

-------------------
>none of our pockets are filled with gold
>nobody's caught the bouquet
>there are no dead presidents we can fold
>nothing is going our way
>
>--Tom Waits (More Than Rain, 1987)

-----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! ==-----

Andrew

Nov 14, 2001, 11:07:25 AM11/14/01
Led Zeppelin III had a psychedelic cover with various colors and objects on
it and cut-outs in it. Inside the cover was a wheel with other images on
it. You could rotate the wheel (like a pop-up book page) and the inside pix
would should through the holes.

I think some of the Sticky Fingers actually had a balloon attached inside
the zipper.

Andrew

<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

The Wanderer

Nov 14, 2001, 11:11:53 AM11/14/01
A "balloon"?

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/5591/
http://the70s.cjb.net

"It'd take a guy a lifetime to know Brooklyn t'roo an' t'roo. An' even den,
yuh wouldn't know it all."
Thomas Wolfe from Death To Morning

"Andrew" <and...@ttrax.com> wrote in message

Naz Reyes

Nov 14, 2001, 4:38:42 PM11/14/01

antipos...@127.0.0.1 wrote:

> As I go through my vinyl, here is another piece of nostalgia from the LP era;
> specialized or unusual record jackets. Remember these? There were several
> memorable examples, such as:
>
> The Stones - Sticky Fingers (designed by Andy Warhol) which had a zipper
> so that you could unzip Mick's trousers
>
> Also by the Stones: Some Girls, which had a colorful cover design of a wig
> ad, with the models' faces cut out; the inner sleeve, on both sides, were
> a series of distorted photos of various Stones members, actresses, socialites,
> etc., which would then appear to be the faces in the wig ad. Peter Corriston
> did a very imaginative job on this.

I don't know if you know this already, Tom, but even the CD version of
"Some Girls" preserved the original wacky pagkaging, except, of course,
it's much smaller :-)

> Similarly, Led Zepp had various photos on the inner sleeve which appeared
> through holes in the outer cover on Physical Graffiti.

I also remember "In Through The Outdoor" with a PAPER BAG around the
whole LP. Wished I saved the damn thing...sigh.

I also HAD a 12" inch record by a German disco act named LIFT UP, titled
"Diamonds Never Made a Lady". The whole 12" record was pastel GREEN! :-)

-Naz

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Nov 14, 2001, 4:47:41 PM11/14/01

Naz Reyes <n...@american.edu> wrote:

>I also HAD a 12" inch record by a German disco act named LIFT UP, titled

>"Diamonds Never Made a Lady". The whole 12" record was pastel GREEN! :-)
>
>-Naz

My copy of the Butthole Surfers' "Rembrandt Pussyhorse" LP is a very pretty
red vinyl. It is the color of a red cough drop.

Tom

Naz Reyes

Nov 14, 2001, 5:00:01 PM11/14/01
Hey Stevie, I thought I'd ask you this question...do you remember the
original LP of Bootsy's Rubber Band (can't remember the name) with the
song "Bootzilla"? Talk about some wacky shit - he even inserted a pair
of shades (cardboard, and star-shaped, of course) in the sleeves!!! :-)

Let me know where I can find that copy - I really miss it!

-Naz

Beatlfilms

Nov 14, 2001, 5:01:42 PM11/14/01
antipos...@127.0.0.1 asks:

>So, any other unusual record jacket designs?

Here's some that popped in my head...

There was the Rolling Stones' misguided step into psychedelic silliness, "Their
Satanic Majesties." The album had a 3-D graphic pasted to the outside cover.

Also the Stones' greatest hits package "Through The Past Darkly" featured a
jacket with the corners cut off so that the package was an octogon rather than
a square.

For Foghat's "Live" LP, the word "LIVE" was a cutout that revealed the inner
sleeve, which was adorned in such a manner that each of the four members
appeared in each of the four letters of "LIVE."

Twisted Sister had an album (I am blanking on the name of the record) that had
featured a manhole cover on the front. The manhole cover opened up and lead
singer Dee Snider would pop out of the cavity.

There was a collection of 50s tunes released under the title "Fonzie's
Favorites" during the golden era of "Happy Days." The back of the cover had a
picture of Mr. Fonzarelli, so the front was perforated allowing part of the
cardboard to swing out and make a stand. Thus, you could have Henry Winkler
setting right there on the nightstand!

Shawn

Lenny Smith

Nov 14, 2001, 8:20:53 PM11/14/01

"Beatlfilms" <beatl...@aol.com> wrote in message

> antipos...@127.0.0.1 asks:
>
> >So, any other unusual record jacket designs?
>
> Here's some that popped in my head...
>
> There was the Rolling Stones' misguided step into psychedelic silliness,
"Their
> Satanic Majesties." The album had a 3-D graphic pasted to the outside
cover.

Jury's still out on that one--many Stones fans, myself included, LOVE that
album, although I've heard from plenty of folks who share your point of
view... One cool thing about that cover--it features a nod to The Beatles,
whose Sgt. Pepper's cover (the two albums seem like two sides of the same
coin to me, in some ways) features a nod to the Stones. DON'T use the flat,
non-3-D version if you're going to look for this; when they flattened the
image it became so easy it takes all the fun out of it. Anyway, in the
bushes and other flora in the foreground, lower half of the cover pic, if
you look closely and turn the album a bit, viewing from different angles,
you can find all four Beatles' heads--George and Paul have colorful turbans
on, making them easier to spot than John and Ringo, who blend more into the
vegetation. Each head is probably no bigger than a dime. Meanwhile, on the
Sgt. Pepper's cover, on one end of the line-up of characters on the cover is
a doll wearing a striped shirt with the words, "Welcome the good guys, the
Rolling Stones" sewed into it.

Lenny

Lenny Smith

Nov 14, 2001, 8:22:36 PM11/14/01

"The Wanderer" <rosieon...@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> A "balloon"?

I do believe that if you undo the zipper, you find exactly what you SHOULD
find, LOL, which is someone's unit (thankfully enclosed in a jockstrap).
Er, I knew somebody that peeked. (Actually, nearly every copy I SEE has
been zipped at one point or another, LOL).

Lenny

Lenny Smith

Nov 14, 2001, 8:23:35 PM11/14/01

"Naz Reyes" <n...@american.edu> wrote in message

> Hey Stevie, I thought I'd ask you this question...do you remember the
> original LP of Bootsy's Rubber Band (can't remember the name) with the
> song "Bootzilla"? Talk about some wacky shit - he even inserted a pair
> of shades (cardboard, and star-shaped, of course) in the sleeves!!! :-)
>
> Let me know where I can find that copy - I really miss it!

Great album, Naz. I actually see it used a fair amount, but rarely with the
glasses intact. If I come across one, I'll let you know (would you take it,
even without the glasses?)...

Lenny

Lenny Smith

Nov 14, 2001, 8:35:16 PM11/14/01

<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

> As I go through my vinyl, here is another piece of nostalgia from the LP
era;
> specialized or unusual record jackets. Remember these? There were several
> memorable examples, such as:
>
> The Stones - Sticky Fingers (designed by Andy Warhol) which had a zipper
> so that you could unzip Mick's trousers
>
> Also by the Stones: Some Girls, which had a colorful cover design of a wig
> ad, with the models' faces cut out; the inner sleeve, on both sides, were
> a series of distorted photos of various Stones members, actresses,
socialites,
> etc., which would then appear to be the faces in the wig ad. Peter
Corriston
> did a very imaginative job on this.
>
> Similarly, Led Zepp had various photos on the inner sleeve which appeared
> through holes in the outer cover on Physical Graffiti.

The Soft Machine's first lp had a similar rotating picture wheel design.

Also, someone in another post mentioned In Thru the Out Door, with the paper
bag. The Jefferson Airplane's Bark lp also came in a paper bag.

> Right now, I am also looking at a very clever cover design for a Cheech
and
> Chong album, Los Cochinos. The cover shows the duo inside a car, somewhere
> out in the desert. The upper right corner has an opening where the inner
> sleeve pulls out. On the back cover is a photo of Cheech and Chong dressed
> as women.
>
> Then, when you take the inner sleeve out, the photo of the two inside the
> car reveals the inside of the car door, which shows their stash. And the
> gag photo underneath this is one of Cheech and Chong sitting in the car
with
> their "female" counterparts. The whole thing is a very clever
visualization
> of Cheech and Chong humor, which I once thought and still think is very
funny.

Their Big Bambu cover was great, too, designed as a GIANT package of Big
Bambu rolling papers. The Jefferson Airplane's Long John Silver looked like
a wooden box of tobacco (or was it rolled cigars?)... and on the subject of
tobacco, Small Faces' Ogden's Nut Gone Flake lp, which came in a clear
plastic "bag" or sleeve with a snap(!) was ROUND, designed to look like a
tin of tobacco, and it folded out in a million directions.

Another round one was E Pluribus Funk by Grand Funk Railroad, shaped a
designed to look like a coin...

Rare Earth's Get Ready lp and Love Sculpture's Blues Helping lp were both
die-cut to be rounded at the top (both also on the same label, Rare
Earth)...

The Wailers' Burnin' lp was designed like a Zippo lighter, and when you
flipped the top back, was lit...

Gentle Giant's Octopus album was shaped like a jar (that natch' had an
octopus in it)...

Klark Kent's Kryptonite ep was in a jacket shaped like a "K" and mentioned
that when the Kryptonite disc was exposed to air upon opening, it would
shrink... Sure enough, when you took it out of the jacket, it was a 10"
disc (I forget if it was for sure, but I would HOPE it was green... don't
have one here to check)...

Captain Beefheart's Clear Spot came in a clear plastic sleeve...

OK, enough outta ME for a while... Who's next?

Lenny

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Nov 14, 2001, 10:20:33 PM11/14/01

"Lenny Smith" <lps...@gwi.net> wrote:

>"Beatlfilms" <beatl...@aol.com> wrote in message
>> antipos...@127.0.0.1 asks:
>>
>> >So, any other unusual record jacket designs?
>>
>> Here's some that popped in my head...
>>
>> There was the Rolling Stones' misguided step into psychedelic silliness,
>"Their
>> Satanic Majesties." The album had a 3-D graphic pasted to the outside
>cover.
>
>Jury's still out on that one--many Stones fans, myself included, LOVE that
>album, although I've heard from plenty of folks who share your point of
>view...

It's actually one of my favorite Stones records, as well, with some really
well crafted songs. The cynical Stones may have clearly been amused by the
idea of flower power (just like Jagger's adressing the crowd at Altamont
as "brothers and sisters" seemed insincere, but musically, they deliver the
goods here, nevertheless.

Dixon Hayes

Nov 14, 2001, 11:21:22 PM11/14/01
Tom wrote:

>The Stones - Sticky Fingers (designed by Andy Warhol) which had a zipper
>so that you could unzip Mick's trousers

Didn't this get to be a problem when some of the shipments turned out to have
damaged records in them, because of the zippers or something?

My favorite, obviously, is the one that started it all: "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely
Hearts Club Band" by the Beatles.

Dixon
===========
"I'm not standing in the stag line with Old Man Perkins and a bunch of
slumped-over teenaged boys!"
--Barney Fife

Classic Hollywood Squares: http://www.classicsquares.com

Beatlfilms

Nov 15, 2001, 1:58:13 AM11/15/01
Lenny Smith said:

>Jury's still out on that one--many Stones fans, myself included, LOVE that
>album, although I've heard from plenty of folks who share your point of
>view...

I always just thought Mick & the boys were a little out of their element with
that record; although I really like "2000 Light Years From Home" and "She's A
Rainbow."

>One cool thing about that cover--it features a nod to The Beatles,
>whose Sgt. Pepper's cover (the two albums seem like two sides of the same
>coin to me, in some ways) features a nod to the Stones. DON'T use the flat,
>non-3-D version if you're going to look for this; when they flattened the
>image it became so easy it takes all the fun out of it. Anyway, in the
>bushes and other flora in the foreground, lower half of the cover pic, if
>you look closely and turn the album a bit, viewing from different angles,
>you can find all four Beatles' heads--George and Paul have colorful turbans
>on, making them easier to spot than John and Ringo, who blend more into the
>vegetation. Each head is probably no bigger than a dime. Meanwhile, on the
>Sgt. Pepper's cover, on one end of the line-up of characters on the cover is
>a doll wearing a striped shirt with the words, "Welcome the good guys, the
>Rolling Stones" sewed into it.

Yeah, I spent a headache-inducing evening several years back locating the
Beatle heads on the 3D cover! :-) In addition to the doll with the Stones shirt
on "Pepper," a banner adorned with "The Rolling Stones" pops out of the back of
the submarine at one point during the "Yellow Submarine" film.

Shawn

shambala

Nov 15, 2001, 10:11:08 PM11/15/01

<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

> As I go through my vinyl, here is another piece of nostalgia from the LP
era;
> specialized or unusual record jackets. Remember these? There were several
> memorable examples, such as:

Here's something fun to try:

If you should be fortunate enough to own a copy of the "In Through The Out
Door" LP album by Led Zeppelin, pull the vinyl record out of the inner
sleeve. Then take a cotton swab and daub the tip of the swab into some
water and gently rub the cotton swab onto the drawing, especially the
ashtray, or the currency, or the peanuts and watch what happens. <GRIN>

--shambala

Naz Reyes

Nov 16, 2001, 6:49:16 PM11/16/01
No Lenny, I *must* have those glasses! It would be a half-assed job
doing the "funky space thang" without those glasses! :-)

thanks anyhow,
-Naz

Stevie Nice

Nov 18, 2001, 11:49:13 AM11/18/01

Bootsy, Player Of The Year?, is the name of the album. I thought the bigger
hit was "Hollywood Squares" and I still have the glasses attached to the
inner album jacket. I never removed them. But you gotta be able to find this
album used somewhere.

np Goodbye by Jagged Edge

Dawna

Nov 18, 2001, 10:12:44 PM11/18/01
<antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:<3bf287a6$1...@spamkiller.newsgroups.com>...
> As I go through my vinyl, here is another piece of nostalgia from the LP era;
> specialized or unusual record jackets. Remember these?

snippppppet

> Also by the Stones: Some Girls, which had a colorful cover design of a wig
> ad, with the models' faces cut out; the inner sleeve, on both sides, were
> a series of distorted photos of various Stones members, actresses, socialites,
> etc., which would then appear to be the faces in the wig ad. Peter Corriston
> did a very imaginative job on this.

As I recall, they produced only a few of the jackets with Lucy on the
front. She threatened to sue, so they redid that sleeve. Strangely
enough, I just found a copy of that album @ a local used book/etc
store for three bucks!!!!

> Similarly, Led Zepp had various photos on the inner sleeve which appeared
> through holes in the outer cover on Physical Graffiti.

I used to LOVE playing with my brother's Zep III cover.

~~Dawna