Silk shirts and choker necklaces

buck

Nov 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/1/96

Never ceases to amaze me how the fashion fads from the 70's are back in
full intensity now. Those "cool" polyester pant-suits, sterling silver or
better yet pewter choker necklaces with Peace or Smiley face attached to it
was the fashion norm in my closet. Navel revealing bell bottom - hip
huggers with silk shirts with big collars was a "must have" clothes too.
Plat-form shoes not only made you feel you were cool, but if you were short
it helped you to establish a sense of "I'm here too" kind of feeling. As
for the guys, well, not much went into their clothing closet as you can see
from the earlier post from Brett. But, I remember lots of the iron-on
T-shirts with bell bottom jeans..oh, by the way..boxers were kind of nerdy
for guys..only our Dads' wore them. Come to think of it....Fruit of the
Loom underwear commercial came out around that time? Anymore fashion fads
from the 70's? Amy

<<<<<<<<<<< bu...@enter.net>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Garrison Hack

Nov 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/1/96

As for the guys, well, not much went into their clothing closet as you can
see from the earlier post from Brett. But, I remember lots of the iron-on
T-shirts with bell bottom jeans..oh, by the way..boxers were kind of nerdy
for guys..only our Dads' wore them.

Gee Amy I guess I wasn't on the cutting edge of fashion. One of the nice
things about sit-coms is that for the most part you get to see what "real
people" wore during certain periods of time. When I think of 70s clothing
I flash back to the show SOAP. Guys whore wide belts and bellbottoms,
skin tight shirts with many of the bottons undone (John Travolta in
SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER). Guys also permed their hair to be curly and if
they had curly hair to begin with, they started picking it rather than
pressing it. Guys also wore platforms and conquistador boots. There were
also debates over whether or not your boots were pointed or flat toed.

There was a brief time when overalls/coveralls were a fashion statement.
It still looked a little hoakie. And do you remember hotpants??? I
remember an episode of ALL IN THE FAMILY in which the daughter, Gloria,
first appeared with her kinky pom-pom hair-do and hotpants with platform
heels. She may have been leggy and blonde, but it certainly was an image
that was memorable in a "striking" way.

I think fashion dictates are different based on where you live, what the
weather is like and what your socio-economic background is. I'll say one
thing, no one in my family had as many different outfits as the Brady
Bunch kids did. We dressed more like ALICE ! :)

Garrison

pigman __ __ ____ ___ ___ ____
pig...@primenet.com /__)/__) / / / / /_ /\ / /_ /
/ / \ / / / / /__ / \/ /___ /

buck

Nov 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/2/96

I remember the "hot-pants" and we use to enjoy wearing "painters-pants"
too. Thanks for stirring my memory on the guys fashions. I do remember
the curly-perms for men. I always thought that that was silly
looking..like "Raggedy Ann" look. The picks would be poking out of just
about everyone's back pockets who had curly hair and if you didn't have
curly hair, it was just a regular comb that was poking out. Those wide
belts...with gaudy belt buckles for men...(we lived in the rural area).
And the boots were square tipped for men where we lived. Do you remember
those "earth-shoes" or Buster Brown looking shoes for boys and girls? I
don't think we ever saw "Nikes" or "Reeboks" back then and if we did it was
only for gym time. Amy

goo...@deltanet.com

Nov 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/2/96

In article <01bbc8d1$cc0c5160$6c1e...@buck.enter.net>, "buck"
<bu...@enter.net> wrote:

> don't think we ever saw "Nikes" or "Reeboks" back then and if we did it was
> only for gym time. Amy

And when you did see gym shoes, they were in those hideous colours that
they first came out in -Red...Dark Blue

GOoshie

(oops! Gooshie)

--
"Why is it that Fred won't share the Fruity Pebbles with his best friend Barney, but will freely give them to anyone who shows up with a hard-luck story?"

Thomas C. Clancy

Nov 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/2/96

>> don't think we ever saw "Nikes" or "Reeboks" back then and if we did it was
>> only for gym time. Amy

adidas was the first popular one I remember.

Rhonda Rubin

Nov 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/4/96

In article <55g9u4$3...@spica.cc.utexas.edu>,

And, of course, it was really cool to have an adidas T-shirt? Why? Because
wearing one meant you knew that adidas really stood for All Day I Dream
About Sex. Ah yes...Jr. High contributed so much to my educational
maturity. ;^)

Rhonda

--
"The dew fell with a particularly sickening thud this morning."

Garrison Hack

Nov 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/4/96

jim and/or ann <jbar...@netins.net> wrote:

: But the
: quintessential 70s female look belonged to Gabe Kotter's wife Julie.
: Maybe it was her glasses that always put me over the edge. Extremely
: fine.

: jim

You're right about that. Now that I think about it, you probably could
get some more ideas about fashion by watching LOVE AMERICAN STYLE

jim and/or ann

Nov 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/4/96

Garrison Hack wrote:

> Gee Amy I guess I wasn't on the cutting edge of fashion. One of the nice
> things about sit-coms is that for the most part you get to see what "real
> people" wore during certain periods of time.

"The Mary Tyler Moore Show" also features some interesting fashion
flashbacks (Mary's low-slung hip huggers with wide belts, for instance;
Rhoda's thrift-store look; leisure suits on the guys). But the

buck

Nov 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/5/96

"Love...Love...Love..American Style" tons of fashion there, or how bout
Partridge Family or The Brady Bunch? Amy

Tim

Nov 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/6/96

On 4 Nov 1996 19:34:01 -0700, Garrison Hack <pig...@primenet.com>
wrote:
I had the Nik-Nik's, and Angels Flight....Wow, so long ago

Ti m

>jim and/or ann <jbar...@netins.net> wrote:
>

>: But the

>: quintessential 70s female look belonged to Gabe Kotter's wife Julie.
>: Maybe it was her glasses that always put me over the edge. Extremely
>: fine.
>
>: jim

djd

Nov 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/6/96

In <01bbc98c$7bd0b360$391e...@buck.enter.net> "buck" <bu...@enter.net>
writes:

>You're right, never did see Nikes or Reeboks. It was those Addidas
with 3
>red, blue or green stripes down the each side of the sneakers. Don't
know
>if they came in leather, but if memory serves me right it was vinyl or
>something like that. Amy

When I wasn't wearing my low-top wallabees it was the brown leather
Adidas with the 3 white stripes. Cool. 501's and a Hawaiian shirt.

Duane
djd...@ix.netcom.com

robbin decker

Nov 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/8/96

cmi...@hpcf.cc.utexas.edu (Thomas C. Clancy) wrote:

>>> don't think we ever saw "Nikes" or "Reeboks" back then and if we did it was
>>> only for gym time. Amy

>adidas was the first popular one I remember.

Converse All-Stars were big here in WNY, as were cheap "tennies"

Doran

Nov 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/8/96

robbin decker wrote:

Don't forget Puma!

Rox...@nando.net

Nov 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/8/96

I can remember having a pair of Orange Elephant Ear pants. If you think Bell Bottoms were big
you should have seen those....I also had the standard wide white belt with all the holes in
them. Those were the years huh!!! Wesley

joe...@ix.netcom.com

Nov 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/9/96

kb2...@pop3.frontiernet.com (robbin decker) wrote:

Anyone remember the shoes called "Playboys"? Circa '70-'71.
They were flat, the sole being essentially a thick rubber sponge
which protruded around the edges of the shoe.

buck

Nov 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/9/96

Oh yeah, how can I forget those "Puma's?".......And, I think we use to call
the Converse's "Bobos". We use to wear terry cloth shorts with terry cloth
tops for gym in school and I remember it was "cool" to have those
knee-length tube socks on. Amy

Garrison Hack

Nov 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/9/96

Sometimes I just don't know where the 60s end and the 70s begin. Does
anyone remember blue jeans that were bleached? They were purposely made
to look as if the bottom had been splashed with bleach!

I also remember puka shells as being the in thing with the bugle bead
clasps (screw them together to close the necklace).

And Indian gauze (padre shirts) and dashikis (the African look)!

G. Jeffrey Gower

Nov 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/10/96

On 9 Nov 1996, Garrison Hack wrote:
> And Indian gauze (padre shirts) and dashikis (the African look)!

Oh yeah! I remember those gauze (potato-sack) shirts. I had one and
wore it out, literally. Speaking of ventilated shirts, remember every
guy had to have a few of those silk/nylon sports jerseys with the tiny
holes in them? I wore a few of them out also. Being in south Florida,
those ventilated styles were a god-send.

Jeff