Oh Canada!

antipositivist

Mar 17, 2002, 11:08:26 PM3/17/02

My take on the 2nd Toronto Gathering

I’ve just returned from the trip to Toronto, CA. I was attending and presenting
a paper at the Popular Culture Association Annual Conference, which was held
at the Toronto Sheraton Centre Hotel. But this was also an opportunity for
another gathering of our tribe. I feel very privileged that I have been able
to be a part of so many of these gatherings and very happy to be able to
spend some time quality with Rach, Rhonda and her family, Jamie, Larry, and
dog Molly. It was also my first trip to Canada, so I was very excited to
be checking out a new country, something I really like to do.

The conference was very interesting. I wound up attending mostly film and
music sessions, as these most closely pertain to what are for me current
research topics (as is pop culture, more generally). The conference had sessions
on everything from Alfred Hitchcock, circuses and culture, to reality TV,
horror films, record stores, and Battlebots. My panel itself was diverse,
with other presenters discussing Tom Clancy, Harry Potter, and Dorothy Allison;
my paper was on Luis Bunuel, David Lynch and surrealist film. What I particularly
enjoyed was the opportunity to talk informally with scholars who are trying
to analyze film and other forms of pop culture.

Well, on to the gathering part of the trip: I had coordinated a bit with
Rach prior to my trip. On Thursday, I called her house, and finally caught
up with her later that night. We were both excited to be talking to one another,
and we made our plans to meet the following day. I had just been at a little
wine and cheese reception, but it more or less broke up, so, I took to the
streets, in search of some action. I thought I might catch a movie, but instead,
wound up in a gigantic mall (The Eaton Centre) and wound up inside a book/CD
store (Indigo), where I picked up a small photo book about Toronto, and also
listened, at the listening station, to the Smiths’ “Hatful of Hollow” CD,
and was reminded of what a great and influential band the Smiths, indeed,
were. I then went back out, walked around the downtown some more, and found
a big bookstore (Chapters); from the outside, momentarily pondering the dirty
building with its cheap red neon sign, I was half-expecting it might be some
kind of Times Square style adult bookstore/entertainment emporium, and was
relieved that it was a normal bookstore, as a normal bookstore was what I
was in the mood for. I spent a while browsing, and then finally headed over
to Church Street, to the international hostel where I was staying; I made
my way to the 2nd floor TV room, where an international crowd of Brits, Canadians,
Koreans, etc., and me, an American, sat and watched Seinfeld/Frazier/King
of the Hill; it’s a global village, after all. Then to bed - as Jamie and
Larry can attest to, a rather annoyingly squeaky bed, at that. Nonetheless,
I think I prefer the realism of hostelling to the hyperreality of luxury
hotels.

Friday afternoon came, and there was Rach, meeting me in the Sheraton lobby.
It was a joy to see her. Prior to Rach’s arrival, as I stood in the hotel
lobby, the hotel was suddenly beset by the invasion of the bad hairdos; in
fact, I thought I saw Geddy Lee’s mullet, circa 1978, come walking in at
some point; I wasn’t quite sure of what was happening.

We went out to Rach’s car, and made our way out of downtown to Rhonda’s place,
avoiding – at one point – a rolling hubcap from another vehicle which had
come undone it seems because of the trolley tracks in the middle of the street
(in full use by the trolley up ahead). The ride was a good opportunity for
me to see some of the residential areas of Toronto; and, I can say this;
contrary to some misconceptions, Rach is actually a very good driver, though
I’m not sure the other drivers necessary notice here little bouts of American-style
road rage, at least not in the winter time, when car windows are up (though
I’m not so sure she really means it when she shouts out to them FUCK YOU,
ASSHOLE! ;-) ); in fact, I spent most of the week observing Canadians to
be polite, considerate people; I went for several days before I heard a single
car honking its horn at another car; in fact, it was barely even a honk,
just a little tap on the horn (In contrast, within 5 minutes of my getting
back from the airport, I was hearing car horns honking in the usual obnoxious
manner).

So, we arrived at Rhonda’s, and after Rach and she touched base via cell
phone, she was there to greet us with warm hugs. At that moment, I was rather
in awe of the situation, and just enjoying every second of it. We entered
the house, and said our hello’s to Riel, Rhonda’s son, who seemed to me to
be basically a sweet kid, but one who was eager for us all to go out, which
is what we did before long. We made our way to a nearby pub, which was very
friendly, tossed our coats into a booth, and sat down at the bar. We had
a few rounds (I had Labatts), and Rhonda and I (along with one or two other
mysterious individuals) played a few rounds of a trivia game – the questions
flash in sets of 15 on a TV monitor, and the players punch in their answers
into a small hand console. I held my own for a while, helped by knowing who
Jon Gruden is and by remembering the band the Flying Lizards (“money….that’s
what I want”), but Rhonda proved herself to be a true champ. As we were drinking
and trivializing, in walked Rhonda’s guy, George, who was then introduced
to us. He was friendly, and there seemed to be about the same level of mutual
curiosity going in both directions: us to him, and him to us.

We wound up back at Rhonda’s. Riel went to bed. We then sat around the main
room, where there was a bit more beers – among other things – to be enjoyed,
though the partying really didn’t get too out of control. I enjoyed the ambiance
in Rhonda’s place – you know, I think she would have made a great Greenwich
Village or San Francisco beat nick, and has a definite bohemian side. She
and I talked a little bit about Marilyn Monroe – she’s got a fair amount
of Monroe iconography decorating the place. George told us the story of his
arrival into Canada from his native Scotland and he also speculated that
Rach is of “black Scottish” descent, which has, according to his account,
some rather mystical connotations; perhaps Rach’s theme song should be Santana’s
“Black Magic Woman.” Or perhaps the Scots are as big a bunch of BS artists
as my tribe, the Irish. Or perhaps we’ll never really know the answers to
such mysteries.

We also got to listen to the recording of Rhonda’s parents band, which was
made in the mid 60s (and which refers to little Rhonda in the liner notes;
how cool is that!) It reminded me a bit of an Australian Peter, Paul, and
Mary and/or a mix of folk-pop and music hall, but it had a neat cover of
Lonnie Donegan’s “Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor (On The Bedpost
Overnight).” I can also say this; Rhonda’s mom can really sing, sounding
much like Mama Cass Elliott.

Finally, our visit came to an end, but with the hope that we’d see Rhonda
again the next day; unfortunately, it was not meant to be. But it was a great
night, and I am really glad it happened.

The next day, it was a bit colder than it had been in the prior days, and
was blustery. I got to meet Jamie and Larry (and Larry’s very friendly pooch,
Molly). We started our day at Nathan Phillips Square, a large outdoor gathering
spot where people were skating (and where the visiting tourists from, I think,
India, were falling on their butts; perhaps it was their first time attempting
to negotiate ice on skates; meanwhile, the Canadians were all skating around
like Olympians and/or hockey players, doing fancy spins, etc., but politely).
The square is also the site of the old Toronto City Hall, which is very stately
looking with a big clock tower, as well as the new City Hall, which has a
kind of 50s sci-fi look.

We then started walking, heading west along Queen Street West, past a series
of funky/artsy shops and the “Much Music” building (the Canadian version
of MTV), which is a gathering spot for Toronto youth. We then found a little
café, where we could warm up over some hot beverages. Eventually, we wound
up on Kensington Street (that’s the name, if I’m not mistaken), which was
like stepping back into the late 60s counter culture; it was a real trip.
We went into one store that sold used clothing, small hand carved Buddha
statues, incense, and “Keep on Trucking” and Jim Morrison posters, among
other things.

At one point, we stopped in a retro furniture store, which had some really
nice stuff. We were talking about some of the house furnishings we grew up
with, like kidney shaped tables and other space age designs, stuff that now
carries with it deep retro appeal.

We also got to walk through a bit of the city’s Chinatown area, which was
vast. (I don’t know if anyone other than me picked up on this, but there
was a handless street musician somehow managing to play a keyboard with stumps
where his hands would be.)

On the street, we heard from Rhonda; unfortunately, she was not going to
be able to join us due to a bit of car mishap. We were relieved to know that
everyone was okay.

We also saw Jamie’s alma mater, Ryerson U. There were various students going
in and out of the campus buildings.

Driven by cold and mounting hunger, we stopped in a British style pub, which,
much to our joy, had a fireplace with a nice big fire going. Lucky us, we
got a table right near it, after only a short wait. We ordered our hearty
pub lunches, and then, Rach’s cell phone rang; it was Kelly calling, all
the way from LI, and so, the phone got passed around, continuing the tradition
of phone calls to distant NG members during NG gatherings. We had been hoping
that Kelly could have been with us for the weekend, but it was not meant
to be; but at least we could do a group chat.

Refueled, we made our way back outside, where we headed back in the direction
from which we had come. We then made our way to the CN Tower, which is one
of the city’s main landmarks, snapping photos along the way. We also took
some photos at the Skydome, which is more or less right next to the tower.

We then continued walking, past the Convention Centre and the Canadian Broadcasting
Service building. We stopped and took photos at the Hockey Hall of Fame,
just as a bus filled with Minnesota school kids was arriving there.

We then walked up Church Street, and stopped at the Hostel, where I ran in
to retrieve my sweater. We stopped at the Flatiron Building (Toronto’s got
one, too!) but we had the impending sense of a possible pigeon attack, so
we kept moving.

At one point during the day, we wound up in Sam’s Records, which I really
enjoyed. They had great selections and prices. Rach was nice enough to get
us each a piece of Canadian music; I’m listening to Day for Night by the
Tragically Hip as I write (thanks again, Rach; good choice - I am liking
these guys).

We then went back to the car, where Larry told a few DJ stories; I had requested
to see the lakeshore, so we drove toward a parking area on the lake, but
hit traffic and started moving rather slowly. Fortunately, we got to the
water just before sunset; the city’s skyline twinkled in the background,
and looked magnificent.

We got back into the car and drove past the University of Toronto campus,
which I had also requested made our way to dinner. We decided on Greek.
Rach knew of a place called Christina’s, so we headed there. On the way,
we passed the historic Maple Leaf Gardens, the Royal Ontario Museum, and
also, a place described as a local institution, Honest Ed’s discount store;
unfortunately, all of the Las Vegasy neon lights on the store were not on.

We got to the restaurant, parked a few blocks away, and then walked over.
The food was great; I had some of the best moussaka I’ve ever had. We split
a bottle of red wine. Some Greek musicians played ouds and bouzoukis). At
one point, a belly dancer – who looked like Hot Lips Houlihan wearing a skimpier
version of an I Dream of Jeannie outfit – came out to entertain the crowd.
It was a really nice dinner; Rach told some entertaining stories from her
rave days. I also told Jamie that it occurred to me that she bears a bit
of a resemblance to Mackenzie Phillips (though today, I was also thinking
with a bit of the younger Jane Fonda thrown in).

Outside of the restaurant, we had a bit of a laugh; I looked up and noticed
a sign that said “Cuba, Si!” It was a tourism poster for visiting Cuba; as
a Yank, of course, I’d never seen such a thing; for us, it would be like
seeing a sign saying “Visit the Seven Gates of Hell” or something along those
lines; to Canadians, of course, being able to visit Cuba is no big deal.
So we laughed about the Canadian-US contrast regarding ads for visiting Cuba
(not to mention the politics behind such contrasts).

Today, before we said our goodbyes, we went to brunch at a place near the
airport. It was, like in past gatherings, somewhat sad to say goodbye, though
I am hopeful I’ll see everyone again. It was a great weekend, filled with
excellent company. We had a great deal of fun together. It was simply wonderful.

I propose, then, a future roadtrip, starting in NYC and/or Boston, making
its way to Toronto, and then to Cuba. The cigars are on me!

Tom

Sunshine State

Mar 18, 2002, 3:49:29 AM3/18/02
I enjoyed reading this as I've been to Toronto before and will be there again
in July. Rachel and Rhonda, if you're reading this, looks like my free time will
be near zero . . . but I'll keep you posted. If we do get to meet it will be a
short visit. I will be staying downtown and I'm told we'll be right next to
Maple Leaf Gardens, if that gives you an idea.

Sandy

Mar 18, 2002, 7:32:01 PM3/18/02
Wow Tom, thanks for the indepth description on your trip! I felt like I was
there with you :) All the sights you pointed out came right back at me. I'm
so glad you all had another successful group gathering! Aren't the Toronto
people just wonderful? You must have met the most people of us all so far Tom,
haven't you?
Thanks for sharing :)

Sandy

2-60
Class of 78

Jamie M.

Mar 18, 2002, 9:38:10 PM3/18/02
This was the BEST weekend!! You know, sometimes we don't really see
our own hometowns as we rush from one errand to another. But this
weekend I got to see Toronto through our honoured visitors' eyes. I
got to see places that I hadn't seen in years, like Kensington market
(my personal fave), the throwback to the 60s/early 70s.

And the time we spent at Sam the Record Man was lots of fun... Tom
introduced me to the Smiths (which I got to listen to part of today at
work)... and I really like them... they'll be getting a lot of play
around here, and Rach made sure I had my very own CD of the Tragically
Hip... now I really am a Canadian... as I understand from Rach that
one cannot be a bona fide Canadian until you have you're very own Hip
CD, and Rach made sure that Tom, Larry, and I all had one to take home
with us. The Hip will definitely be on my playlist tomorrow at work.

And to top everything off, Rach stayed with me both nights... not just
one... but TWO sleepovers! And it was just like the kind when I was a
teenager... talking until way past when the lights should have been
out! I was almost expecting a grumpy parent's voice telling us to turn
out the light and go to sleep (and I'm sure there is a thread or two
just lurking out there on this very topic!)

Best of all, it was the opportunity of meeting another one of our
own... I had the best time, hanging out with Tom, Rach, Larry and
Molly (the dog)... so much talking... it was like old friends getting
together... who would have thought that we didn't even know each
other, at most we were just names to each other in the NG... it's been
less than a year and a half since the NG's very first get-together in
November 2000. And I hope there are a lot more opportunities to meet
up again. And meet more "new" old friends.

It was sad that we didn't have the opportunity to see Rhonda and Riel
again (I hope that everyone is okay Rhonda), and of course, not being
able to meet with Molly (the person, not the dog). But we'll just have
to work on fixing that with another get together. NYC? Boston?
Toronto? Wherever... let's make it happen.

And Tom... I really remind you of Jane Fonda?! As in Barbarella?!!!
Or maybe you mean Jane Fonda as in On Golden Pond?

Jamie :)

Larry

Mar 19, 2002, 1:21:25 AM3/19/02
Mackenzie Phillips and a young Jane Fonda? Really?

Hmm… what was I ggoing to talk about? Oh yeah…

Between Tom's post and Jamie's it has pretty much all been said, but I
did want to add my two cents. This is my second tour of Toronto, this
time covering some new and different aspects, and I'm quickly growing
very attached to the city. As always, Jamie's descriptions let me see
everything we were passing, and conversation among the four of us
never lagged. For me, it was great to add voices to the words of
people whose posts I've read for years. And I think it's accurate to
say that both Tom and Rach are very much themselves in the group, just
as I believe that Jamie and I are.

This weekend I was introduced to an English style pub that I would
like to visit again, and sampled Greek food for the first time. And
Tom… the belly dancer looked like Hot Lips? Hot lips the belly
dancer? Well, why not?

Also for the first time, I learned a bit of what Sam the Record Man
is all about. As Tom and Jamie mentioned, Rach surprised us with
Tragically Hip CDs, and Jamie promises that I'll get my turn to enjoy
the Smiths album, as well as the Tragically Hip CD that Rach chose for
her. While there I also bought a Trooper anthology, a 70s Canadian
group which barely touched the charts in the states. It's great to
hear new songs done 70s style!

Molly the dog walked so much that she's still making up for lost doggy
naps, but I think she'd agree that she wouldn't have missed our
weekend for the world. The weekend left me wanting to meet more of
the people whose words I read nearly every day. So I'll echo Jamie's
hope that we can do more of this soon!

Molly… we missed you this weekend. Rhonda, I was sorry we didn't get
to meet. Next time fore sure! Kelly, it was great to talk to you!

What a weekend… the kind that left me wanting more of the same.

Larry

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002 02:38:10 GMT, myst...@hotmail.com (Jamie M.)

antipositivist

Mar 19, 2002, 11:38:50 AM3/19/02

myst...@hotmail.com (Jamie M.) wrote:

>And Tom... I really remind you of Jane Fonda?! As in Barbarella?!!!
>Or maybe you mean Jane Fonda as in On Golden Pond?

Oh, definitely closer to the Barbarella/"Hanoi Jane" era Jane than the later
"On Golden Pond" era Jane, though somehow, Jamie, I don't quite see you sitting
atop a Vietcong tank with a rifle in your hand declaring Ho Chi Mihn to be
the world's savior.

Anyway, with all these actress comparisons, perhaps you should go out to
Hollywood to be discovered.

Glad you liked the Smiths CD.

Tom

rachel cree

Mar 19, 2002, 2:30:40 PM3/19/02
Gives me a perfect idea of where you'll be Francis. As far as your free
time, even if it's just for a coffee, I'd be willing to go to Toronto that
weekend ( it's a selfish visit really... I saw a lot of nice shoes this
weekend I want.)

My advice to you though if you are staying near the Gardens.. don't walk
north from there on Church Street...
;)

--
rach
Shut my mouth and strike the demons

"Sunshine State" <suns...@nospam.net> wrote in message

> > avoiding - at one point - a rolling hubcap from another vehicle which

> > mysterious individuals) played a few rounds of a trivia game - the

questions
> > flash in sets of 15 on a TV monitor, and the players punch in their
answers
> > into a small hand console. I held my own for a while, helped by knowing
who
> > Jon Gruden is and by remembering the band the Flying Lizards

("money..that's

> > what I want"), but Rhonda proved herself to be a true champ. As we were
drinking
> > and trivializing, in walked Rhonda's guy, George, who was then
introduced
> > to us. He was friendly, and there seemed to be about the same level of
mutual
> > curiosity going in both directions: us to him, and him to us.
> >
> > We wound up back at Rhonda's. Riel went to bed. We then sat around the
main

> > room, where there was a bit more beers - among other things - to be

enjoyed,
> > though the partying really didn't get too out of control. I enjoyed the
ambiance

> > in Rhonda's place - you know, I think she would have made a great

Greenwich
> > Village or San Francisco beat nick, and has a definite bohemian side.
She

> > and I talked a little bit about Marilyn Monroe - she's got a fair amount

> > one point, a belly dancer - who looked like Hot Lips Houlihan wearing a
skimpier
> > version of an I Dream of Jeannie outfit - came out to entertain the

rachel cree

Mar 19, 2002, 2:33:07 PM3/19/02

Wow T.... Very Naz- like account. I will be mailing the cheque for the
driving compliment tomorrow... thanks bud! It was a thrill to have you boys
(and pooch Molly) here for the weekend. WHEN you come back in the summer,
we will have a load of other things to do.

Hey... and you forgot to mention Wrestlemania!!

--

"antipositivist" <10005...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

> avoiding - at one point - a rolling hubcap from another vehicle which had

> mysterious individuals) played a few rounds of a trivia game - the

questions
> flash in sets of 15 on a TV monitor, and the players punch in their
answers
> into a small hand console. I held my own for a while, helped by knowing
who
> Jon Gruden is and by remembering the band the Flying Lizards

("money..that's

> what I want"), but Rhonda proved herself to be a true champ. As we were
drinking
> and trivializing, in walked Rhonda's guy, George, who was then introduced
> to us. He was friendly, and there seemed to be about the same level of
mutual
> curiosity going in both directions: us to him, and him to us.
>
> We wound up back at Rhonda's. Riel went to bed. We then sat around the
main

> room, where there was a bit more beers - among other things - to be

enjoyed,
> though the partying really didn't get too out of control. I enjoyed the
ambiance

> in Rhonda's place - you know, I think she would have made a great

Greenwich
> Village or San Francisco beat nick, and has a definite bohemian side. She

> and I talked a little bit about Marilyn Monroe - she's got a fair amount

> one point, a belly dancer - who looked like Hot Lips Houlihan wearing a
skimpier
> version of an I Dream of Jeannie outfit - came out to entertain the crowd.

Nanc

Mar 19, 2002, 4:43:08 PM3/19/02
Yes Tom it sounds like another fun gathering. Sandy's right! You've been at
4 out of the 5 gatherings so far. But San will have you tied when you and
lots of other folks come to Boston in May :-)
Nanc

Tiny Dancer

Mar 19, 2002, 5:28:31 PM3/19/02
And so the word went out from "antipositivist" <10005...@127.0.0.1>:

>My take on the 2nd Toronto Gathering

<snip>

Nice work, Tom, better than I could ever do! I'll link to this on the posting
page as soon as I can. One thing that really tripped me out was when
you and George got to talking about a bar in Manchester you *both*
seemed to know very well. What are the odds, eh?! I can't share all
of his comments after you and Rach left in a public forum (nothing but
good about you in particular, Rach, your group tramp title is intact! ;-)
but he had a great time as well. Not sure what he envisioned from you,
Tom, but he didn't get the arrogant American I think he was expecting.
And I was quite impressed with how well he did considering the truly
horrible day he had at work (he unloaded after you left, it was indeed
one of the worst he's ever had and he very nearly quit). I'm almost
afraid to ask seeing as no one has mentioned anything, but what did
you guys think of him? Anything like you'd pictured?

Speaking of which, I do have a pic of the two of us we had taken at
that dance we went to and, as soon as he gives it back to me, I'll have
it scanned and added to the site along with your NYC pics, Rach.

As I mentioned in my other post, I'm so sorry we couldn't connect with
Jamie and Larry, but I'm thrilled I finally got to meet Tom, heretofore
known as Jersey down at Carlos Murphy's. Glad I got the chance to
defend my honor with that Jukebox round of NTN Trivia :-)

Free tip for future gatherings on this side of the border: if you want to
get the Americans drunk on their ass, serve Labbatt's Ice. It worked
for us anyway!

Cheers,

TD

And come on in, sit right down
No, you're not the first to show
We've all been here since, God, who knows?
from The Tragically Hip's "Looking for a place to happen"

For a good time call
http://the70s.cjb.net

The Sesame Street Lyrics and Sounds Archive
http://members.tripod.com/Tiny_Dancer/index.html

rachel cree

Mar 19, 2002, 6:05:41 PM3/19/02

> Nice work, Tom, better than I could ever do! I'll link to this on the
posting
> page as soon as I can. One thing that really tripped me out was when
> you and George got to talking about a bar in Manchester you *both*
> seemed to know very well. What are the odds, eh?! I can't share all
> of his comments after you and Rach left in a public forum (nothing but
> good about you in particular, Rach, your group tramp title is intact! ;-)
> but he had a great time as well. Not sure what he envisioned from you,
> Tom, but he didn't get the arrogant American I think he was expecting.
> And I was quite impressed with how well he did considering the truly
> horrible day he had at work (he unloaded after you left, it was indeed
> one of the worst he's ever had and he very nearly quit). I'm almost
> afraid to ask seeing as no one has mentioned anything, but what did
> you guys think of him? Anything like you'd pictured?

I didn't have anything in particular in mind to start but I thought it was
very cool that he was brave enough to meet us in the first place. People who
are not into the NG scene are always a little weary... as example, my
friends I went to see after dropping T off... a million questions, a mention
of something about the dangers of people on the net as seen on 20 20 etc. .
. they seemed ok after seeing the NY pics and hearing the details of the
meetings. Jenn and I are like sisters so she says he is allowed to worry LOL
.... George impressed me by just jumping right in and talking, joining in
convos, offering opinions and sharing stories.

> Speaking of which, I do have a pic of the two of us we had taken at
> that dance we went to and, as soon as he gives it back to me, I'll have
> it scanned and added to the site along with your NYC pics, Rach.

Cool beans... and Rhonda, you're SURE you don't need any MORE pics of U
know who? LOL ;)

> Free tip for future gatherings on this side of the border: if you want to
> get the Americans drunk on their ass, serve Labbatt's Ice. It worked
> for us anyway!

I thought this was hilarious. Proud that T was willing to try a Canadian
beer. My friend's husband is a promotions manager with Labatt's and he was
quite happy that an American's first Canadian beer was a Labatts. My
apologies must go out once again to T for not feeding him on Friday night.
My mother would be furious if she knew ;)

> And come on in, sit right down
> No, you're not the first to show
> We've all been here since, God, who knows?
> from The Tragically Hip's "Looking for a place to happen"

PERFECT sig, TD

Molly, the New Wave Queen

Mar 19, 2002, 7:01:29 PM3/19/02
I just realized that I probably will be coming to Toronto on July 5th thru
July 7th for a convention for Whose Line Is It anyway? fans (or Whosers).
It's held at Ryerson, and this will be my first time there.
I'm not sure if I'll have time to see anybody though, but if you're a fan of
Whose Line, you're invited. The site to check out the info on the
convention go to http://wlcon.whosers.com. I'm not promoting this, but what
I've heard, you get to do improv and the last few years the Whosers have
gone to Second City. One year, they had a online chat with Greg Proops and
one year Colin Mochrie came, but don't expect that to happen.
Okay, that's all. :)

Molly, dying to come to TO

"rachel cree" <trist...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Molly, the New Wave Queen

Mar 19, 2002, 7:03:21 PM3/19/02
Hey, rach, who you calling a dog? (just kidding). I'm sort of glad I
didn't go, or if Larry said, "Molly, go left." I might have done that. :P

Molly, the human :)

"rachel cree" <trist...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

rachel cree

Mar 19, 2002, 7:15:27 PM3/19/02
You're not waiting that long to come to TO are you Molly? I was going to
tell you too, I am coming to Buffalo next week to see my aunt... want to
meet up?

--
rach
Shut my mouth and strike the demons
That cursed you and your reasons

"Molly, the New Wave Queen" <molly...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Nanc

Mar 19, 2002, 7:48:47 PM3/19/02
LOL - good one Molly! I'm glad you seem to be doing okay.
Nanc

Molly, the New Wave Queen

Mar 19, 2002, 7:59:21 PM3/19/02
When next week? I have to work from 7am to 3pm. Maybe we can meet up at a
mall. If I'm on AIM tonight, we can talk about it.

Molly

"rachel cree" <trist...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Molly, the New Wave Queen

Mar 19, 2002, 8:04:11 PM3/19/02
I'm doing fine, especially after my boss paid me for three days last week.
I got paid for not being there, but I think it was because my boss felt
sorry for me. It was a very pleasant surprise.

Molly

"Nanc" <bill...@attbi.com> wrote in message

antipositivist

Mar 19, 2002, 9:50:28 PM3/19/02

"Molly, the New Wave Queen" <molly...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>I'm doing fine, especially after my boss paid me for three days last week.
>I got paid for not being there, but I think it was because my boss felt
>sorry for me. It was a very pleasant surprise.
>
>Molly

I'm late saying this Molly, but my condolences to you and your family.

Tom

antipositivist

Mar 19, 2002, 9:59:53 PM3/19/02

ti...@look.ca (Tiny Dancer) wrote:
>I'm almost
>afraid to ask seeing as no one has mentioned anything, but what did
>you guys think of him? Anything like you'd pictured?

Fear not, Rhonda. Actually, I didn't really have a prior picture in mind,
so when he walked into Carlos Murphy's, I really didn't know what to expect.

Having met him, I thought he was very interesting - kind of reminded me of
a character out of a novel or a film (which would also have Brenda Blethyn,
Ewan McGregor and/or Gary Oldman in it). He seemed, basically, like a nice
guy. And he seems to care a lot about you, which is a definite plus. That
was funny when we connected over the Manchester bar; small world, eh?

Tom

rach

Mar 19, 2002, 10:20:46 PM3/19/02
I am now a little scared to ask but since Jamie looks like Mackenzie
Phillips and Rhonda the perfect beatnik and now George is a character from a
Ewan McGregor film... I am shuddering to think who *I* remind you of... and
please do not say Rosie O'Donnell or you are in big trouble Mister... ;)

--
rach
Shut my mouth and strike the demons
That cursed you and your reasons

"antipositivist" <10005...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

antipositivist

Mar 19, 2002, 10:33:16 PM3/19/02

"rachel cree" <trist...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>Hey... and you forgot to mention Wrestlemania!!

I think I might have alluded to it when I mentioned the invasion of the bad
hairdos, as some of these hairdos were accompanied by less than subtle, ill-fitting
tee shirts, which shouted out slogans like THE ROCK or NWO; I'm guessing
that you are a bit of an anomaly, Rach, in that 99% of this crowd wouldn't
know Martha Stewart from Martha Raye (or Martha Washington), and are thereby
lacking in some of the finer points of style and finesse. I know that we
were figuring they might be hockey fans, but I must level with you and state
my true opinion that, generally speaking, based on years of anecdotal observations
as well as hearsay, WWF fans tend to make NHL fans seem normal and well adjusted
by comparison (though in YOUR case, I think your being a WWF fan makes you
that much more appealing, as all your fans here can tell you).

But, oh yes, it should be mentioned in the account; "wrestlemania" was in
town that weekend, which added to the flavor of our day hopping around town.

Tom

antipositivist

Mar 19, 2002, 10:41:29 PM3/19/02

"rach" <trist...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I am now a little scared to ask but since Jamie looks like Mackenzie
>Phillips and Rhonda the perfect beatnik and now George is a character from
>Ewan McGregor film... I am shuddering to think who *I* remind you of...
and
>please do not say Rosie O'Donnell or you are in big trouble Mister... ;)

Hmmm, you are basically one of a kind, so I'll need to think about this one
a bit. However, I will say this; with your wit, sense of style, intelligence,
sophistication, and lust for life, you seem like, well, a New Yorker; perhaps
you belong down here, after all (hint hint).

rach

Mar 20, 2002, 12:45:33 AM3/20/02
This is what Kelly tells me. . .

--
rach
Shut my mouth and strike the demons
That cursed you and your reasons

"antipositivist" <10005...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

The Wanderer

Mar 20, 2002, 9:14:07 AM3/20/02
Here! Here! (move here!)

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

"There are certain sections in New York, major, that I wouldn't advise you
to try to invade.' "
Humphrey Bogart as Rick-in "Casablanca"- to nazi officer.

"The making of an American begins at the point where he himself rejects all
other ties, any other history, and himself adopts the vesture of his adopted
land."
James Baldwin

rach

Mar 20, 2002, 12:00:00 PM3/20/02
You know, it's like I said back in December: NYC was the only place outside
Canada that made me feel like I was leaving home when I left. As soon as I
earn my millions, you can all come visit me in my lovely, spacious "Friends
sized" apartment in the Village. I'll supply the coffee and Chai tea ;)

--
rach
Shut my mouth and strike the demons
That cursed you and your reasons

"The Wanderer" <rosieon...@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message

The Wanderer

rach

Mar 20, 2002, 12:42:53 PM3/20/02
Perhaps T, but if you recall, there were some pretty boys in there too...
;)
In all honesty, I didn't see these boys you were referring to but they were
likely from somewhere north of Barrie (which to a Torontonian is just
"north" from where there is nothing but whores and hockey players)

--
rach
Shut my mouth and strike the demons
That cursed you and your reasons

Tiny Dancer

Mar 21, 2002, 1:13:51 PM3/21/02
And so the word went out from "rachel cree" <trist...@sympatico.ca>:

After I mentioned re: George:

>>I'm almost afraid to ask seeing as no one has mentioned anything,
>>but what did you guys think of him? Anything like you'd pictured?
>
>I didn't have anything in particular in mind to start but I thought it was
>very cool that he was brave enough to meet us in the first place. People who
>are not into the NG scene are always a little weary... as example, my
>friends I went to see after dropping T off... a million questions, a mention
>of something about the dangers of people on the net as seen on 20 20 etc. .
>. they seemed ok after seeing the NY pics and hearing the details of the
>meetings. Jenn and I are like sisters so she says he is allowed to worry LOL
>.... George impressed me by just jumping right in and talking, joining in
>convos, offering opinions and sharing stories.

I told him he didn't *have* to meet you guys, but that I'd talked about
him here (thank God he doesn't know how to Google or I'd be dead!)
and that I'd really like him to be there if he could. No hesitation when
he cancelled his usual Friday night beer with the boys after work. And
seeing as I would be meeting a bunch of his friends on Saturday night,
he figured it was only fair he meet some of mine on the Friday. We're
both darn glad he did, and I was very proud of how well he fit in. He's
no Mel Gibson, but I love his smile and his twinkly eyes and even his
cheesy mustache :-)

>> Speaking of which, I do have a pic of the two of us we had taken at
>> that dance we went to and, as soon as he gives it back to me, I'll have
>> it scanned and added to the site along with your NYC pics, Rach.
>
>Cool beans... and Rhonda, you're SURE you don't need any MORE pics
>of U know who? LOL ;)

I don't know, but I think we're missing his right profile, aren't we?!

>> Free tip for future gatherings on this side of the border: if you want to
>> get the Americans drunk on their ass, serve Labbatt's Ice. It worked
>> for us anyway!
>
>I thought this was hilarious. Proud that T was willing to try a Canadian
>beer. My friend's husband is a promotions manager with Labatt's and he was
>quite happy that an American's first Canadian beer was a Labatts. My
>apologies must go out once again to T for not feeding him on Friday night.
>My mother would be furious if she knew ;)

Poor Tom. We can show him a good time, we can get him drunk, but
we can't manage to feed him! Good to hear you guys ate on Saturday!

>> And come on in, sit right down
>> No, you're not the first to show
>> We've all been here since, God, who knows?
>> from The Tragically Hip's "Looking for a place to happen"
>
>PERFECT sig, TD

Thanks, it's a gift :-) And I'm trying to inject more Hip into the group.
We can never be Hip enough around here!

Cheers,

TD

Do I want to? With all that charm?
Do I want to? Twist my arm
from The Tragically Hip's "Twist My Arm"

Tiny Dancer

Mar 21, 2002, 1:33:15 PM3/21/02
And so the word went out from "antipositivist" <10005...@127.0.0.1>:

>Fear not, Rhonda. Actually, I didn't really have a prior picture in mind,

>so when he walked into Carlos Murphy's, I really didn't know what to expect.
>
>Having met him, I thought he was very interesting - kind of reminded me of
>a character out of a novel or a film (which would also have Brenda Blethyn,
>Ewan McGregor and/or Gary Oldman in it). He seemed, basically, like a nice
>guy. And he seems to care a lot about you, which is a definite plus. That
>was funny when we connected over the Manchester bar; small world, eh?

Trust you, Tom, to find the literary connection. George *is* like some
kind of character from a movie or film. He certainly doesn't fit in to any
of the molds of men I've met before. One of his best traits, especially
considering what I've dealt with in the past, is his complete honesty
about *everything*. We can talk about things most men would never
admit to feeling or dealing with. And, yeah, the fact that he adores me
as much as I do him (if not more) is a definite bonus :-) So glad you
guys connected even if it was freaky about the bar!

Cheers,

TD

But you and me ain't no movie stars
What we are is what we are
We share a bed, some lovin', and TV, yeah
from Alice Cooper's "You And Me"

Sunshine State

Mar 26, 2002, 3:07:09 AM3/26/02
Kewl . . . I will keep you posted. There will be 35 of us traveling
together so I don't think we'll be mugged, but thanks for the
street advisory . . .