Wrestling in the 1970's - any fans?

#1 Tiger Fan

Mar 16, 2001, 11:06:34 AM3/16/01
On Fri, 16 Mar 2001 06:53:46 GMT, in alt.culture.us.1970s another
induhvidual wrote:

>A little fun fact for you, Dixon. My ex-girlfriend Stefanie is the daughter
>of the original Mr. Wrestling II. He's been retired for years now. He
>currently makes a living selling real estate in Florida.
>
>Back when I was still with Stef, I got the opportunity to talk to her dad.
>He shared all sorts of stories with me about the Georgia days, his days in
>Florida, and how he thinks wrestling has gone to the dogs. He's a pretty
>cool guy. :)

He had a great fued with Larry Zybsko during the early to mid eighties
that I really enjoyed. During that time, sicne we had PBS, we also
got to see one of my big favourites - "Captain Redneck" Dick Murdock.

#1 Tiger Fan
**************
--
"belive me I am nothing to bragg about so dont waste all your time.®"
"it seems like every boddy trys to be politicly incorect these days®"

"Jefferies sucks!"
- Public Domain

" It is just as pertinent as Fat Albert or other aspects of our
culture.®"
-None

Winner of the "Name the Little Fool" contest!!!®
- OMF

http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm

Sandy

Mar 16, 2001, 12:34:08 PM3/16/01
>I'm a huge fan of wrestling now... but I was way too young to enjoy it back
>in the late 70's, when I wasn't even school-aged yet. However, I have come
>across several old WWF (then known as WWWF) tapes on eBay and through tape
>trades. Good stuff! There was actual wrestling! No twenty minute
>interviews like they do today! Any fans on the Newsgroup?
>
>--
>-Rob Riemensnyder

Oh god! you and Rachel are going to get along famously!!!!! : )

Sandy

2-60
Class of 78

Doug

Mar 16, 2001, 4:30:42 PM3/16/01
That's it Abdullah The Butcher..........creepy guy.

-Doug

#1 Tiger Fan

Mar 16, 2001, 11:28:28 AM3/16/01
On Fri, 16 Mar 2001 05:21:40 -0600, in alt.culture.us.1970s another
induhvidual wrote:

>My favorite Wrestling II moment was when Abdullah the Butcher first came on
>the scene in the mid 70s. He chewed up the previously unbeatable Ray Candy
>and spit him out. He went through pretty decent wrestlers week after week
>and seemed an unstoppable monster. He would eat light bulbs and photographs
>of his opponents. (we always figured he was really from Alabama but did a
>great job not coming out of character <grin>).

Abdullah was actually a cab driver from Detroit born in Windsor,
Ontario. Real name is Larry Shreeve. He turned 65 this year and runs
a ribs and Chinese food place in Atlanta.

Boy I know way too much about this stuff.

Rob Riemensnyder

Mar 16, 2001, 1:34:06 PM3/16/01

I recently acquired an "out of character" Abdullah the Butcher interview in
a tape trade. He shares a lot of awesome stories about his thirty plus
years in wrestling.

--
-Rob Riemensnyder

"The small businessman always gets it in the ass."

"#1 Tiger Fan" <number1...@my-deja.nospam.com> wrote in message

Yeff

Mar 16, 2001, 3:15:07 PM3/16/01
In article <nZks6.880$PF7.17...@newssvr10-int.news.prodigy.com>,
recsec<rec...@flash.net> wrote in
alt.culture.us.1970s:

> One of my all time
> favorite wrestlers got his start here. That being Ivan Putski.

Is he the guy of "Polish Power" fame?
Loved him!

-Jeff B.
yeff at erols dot com

Yeff

Mar 16, 2001, 3:18:50 PM3/16/01
In article <98st9j$gh$1...@slb6.atl.mindspring.net>,
Endymion9<endy...@mindspring.com> wrote in
alt.culture.us.1970s:

> Hey I've always known it's
> all fake but what a good story they used to put on.

I've always said it was fake but also always
said they had to be fantastic athletes to
pull of the stunts that they do.

The summer after I graduated high school some
friends and I went to Baltimore to see our
first live match. I felt silly since I knew
it was all faked.

Imagine my surprise when I found myself out
of my seat (along with thousands of other
fans) cheering the hero and booing the villain.
You can't help but get caught up in it.

recsec

Mar 16, 2001, 6:14:13 PM3/16/01

"Yeff" <ye...@spamcop.net> wrote in message

Yep that's him. He had a big bushy beard & long hair that came down over his
eyes & he didn't speak a word of english. He was always smiling & having a
good time. I saw some guy a few years ago calling himself Ivan Putski but it
couldn't have been the same. This new one was buff & built where as the one
from the 70's was short, big, & fat.
Billy

#1 Tiger Fan

Mar 16, 2001, 6:32:05 PM3/16/01
On Fri, 16 Mar 2001 23:14:13 GMT, in alt.culture.us.1970s another
induhvidual wrote:

>Yep that's him. He had a big bushy beard & long hair that came down over his
>eyes & he didn't speak a word of english. He was always smiling & having a
>good time. I saw some guy a few years ago calling himself Ivan Putski but it
>couldn't have been the same. This new one was buff & built where as the one
>from the 70's was short, big, & fat.
>Billy

That's not Ivan Putski. Sounds more like Crusher Kruschev or one of
those type guys like the Vashons. The young guy is Scott Putski,
Ivan's son.

I will never finish my dissertation if I keep thinking about
wrestling. . .

Yeff

Mar 16, 2001, 6:37:18 PM3/16/01
In article <s985btkrr1evgo6q9...@4ax.com>,
#1 Tiger Fan<number1...@my-deja.nospam.com> wrote in
alt.culture.us.1970s:

> That's not Ivan Putski. Sounds more like Crusher Kruschev or one of
> those type guys like the Vashons. The young guy is Scott Putski,
> Ivan's son.
>
> I will never finish my dissertation if I keep thinking about
> wrestling. . .

I was gonna say, I don't remember Ivan being
fat. He wasn't cut like a lot of the modern
wrestlers are but I do remember him being
muscular.

BTW, what was the name of the Indian guy?
The one that'd go into a war dance right
as he was losing and kick the crap out of
the other guys?

recsec

Mar 16, 2001, 6:48:59 PM3/16/01

> On Fri, 16 Mar 2001 23:14:13 GMT, in alt.culture.us.1970s another
> induhvidual wrote:
>
> >Yep that's him. He had a big bushy beard & long hair that came down over
his
> >eyes & he didn't speak a word of english. He was always smiling & having
> >good time. I saw some guy a few years ago calling himself Ivan Putski but
it
> >couldn't have been the same. This new one was buff & built where as the
one
> >from the 70's was short, big, & fat.
> >Billy
>
> That's not Ivan Putski. Sounds more like Crusher Kruschev or one of
> those type guys like the Vashons. The young guy is Scott Putski,
> Ivan's son.
>
> I will never finish my dissertation if I keep thinking about
> wrestling. . .

O yeah it's him allright. I still got newspaper ads from then with his
pictures in it. But I was unaware that he had a son tho. Now get back to
writing & not wrestling. After all wrestling can divert your attention from
writing & wrestling shouldn't be able to do that. You need to worry bout
writing & not wrestling. There that ought to help.
Billy

recsec

Mar 16, 2001, 7:04:27 PM3/16/01
Here we go. I found a few pics of him from back then. Altho it kinda hurt to
find out he's not really a polack. I never knew that about him until just
this minute. Anyway here is the link:'

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Field/7342/Gposa.html

Billy

#1 Tiger Fan

Mar 16, 2001, 7:44:22 PM3/16/01

Wow, I used to have a picture of him on the steamer in the kitchen of
the restaurant I used to own and he was very clean-shaven. He looks
like one of the hated Rooskies in that picture. He even got a mention
on local Public Radio when the local station did a story about my
place, and the weird goings-ons there. Nice work finding those pics,
they are defintely earlier than the one I had. The story tells how he
changed to more of a body-builder from a power-lifter type later in
his career, which is when I must have seen him. Funny how that made
both us remember the same guy as being someone totally different.

recsec

Mar 16, 2001, 8:34:13 PM3/16/01

"#1 Tiger Fan" <number1...@my-deja.nospam.com> wrote in message >
>Wow, I used to have a picture of him on the steamer in the kitchen of
> the restaurant I used to own and he was very clean-shaven. He looks
> like one of the hated Rooskies in that picture. He even got a mention
> on local Public Radio when the local station did a story about my
> place, and the weird goings-ons there. Nice work finding those pics,
> they are defintely earlier than the one I had. The story tells how he
> changed to more of a body-builder from a power-lifter type later in
> his career, which is when I must have seen him. Funny how that made
> both us remember the same guy as being someone totally different.

Yeah the pics here of him is the way I knew him. But as the decade wore on I
kinda got away from wrestling & really never knew that he had changed his
body.
Billy

Doug

Mar 16, 2001, 10:26:37 PM3/16/01
I believe that was Chief Jay Strongbow.

-Doug

Yeff

Mar 16, 2001, 10:51:42 PM3/16/01
In article <2OAs6.3792$Gp2.4...@cletus.bright.net>,
Doug<dou...@bright.net> wrote in
alt.culture.us.1970s:

> I believe that was Chief Jay Strongbow.

Bingo!, thanks!

Found this once you gave me the name:
http://www.wrestlingmuseum.com/pages/bios/halloffame/jstrong.html

Again, thanks.

#1 Tiger Fan

Mar 17, 2001, 12:02:22 AM3/17/01
On Fri, 16 Mar 2001 18:37:18 -0500, in alt.culture.us.1970s another
induhvidual wrote:

>BTW, what was the name of the Indian guy?
>The one that'd go into a war dance right
>as he was losing and kick the crap out of
>the other guys?
>
>-Jeff B.

Could have been just about any Native American warrior who wrestled,
from Jay Strongbow, to Wahoo McDaniel, to Tatanka, and any others. A
common schtick for any person of this persuasion. Just like how in
the old days any African American wrestler could be beaten near to
death until they were hit in the head, which seemed to make them
stronger and revitalized, at which time they would head butt the
opponent and make a big comeback. My little sis asked my mom about
that one time at dinner and mom was horrified for she asked, "why are
black people's heads made of cement?" An innocent question from a 5
year old but it almost ended our wrestling watching. I had to do a
lot of fast talking to keep Dr. Cowan on our TV.

The Wanderer

Mar 17, 2001, 4:01:34 AM3/17/01
Billy, Billy, Billy. While I know your name sounds Polish; it is not
politically correct in polite, proper company to refer to Poles that way. In
this forum I would not refer to my own nationalities as Guineas or Micks. It
just wouldn't be proper. I'm sure you meant no harm, my friend.

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn
"recsec" <rec...@flash.net> wrote in message

redace

Mar 17, 2001, 12:10:19 PM3/17/01

Rob Riemensnyder wrote in message ...

>I'm a huge fan of wrestling now... but I was way too young to enjoy it
back
>in the late 70's, when I wasn't even school-aged yet. However, I have
come
>across several old WWF (then known as WWWF) tapes on eBay and through
tape
>trades. Good stuff! There was actual wrestling! No twenty minute
>interviews like they do today! Any fans on the Newsgroup?

I just finished reading all the responses to this thread (boy were
there a lot of them!!) and noticed one thing that hasn't been mentioned.
Ladies Midget Wrestling (I know, that's not very PC, but this was the
early-mid 70's). I *know* I didn't imagine this!! My brother and I
would watch it on Saturday afternoons (usually around 1:30-2:00).
Afterwards they would show "regular" wrestling and then sometimes we
would get the roller derby (another classic "sports" event). Anyone
else remember any of this?

Lori =^.^=
(Who is not usually considered delusional)

Jeff Troutman

Mar 17, 2001, 9:41:26 PM3/17/01
"Sandy" <sand...@aol.com> wrote:
> >I'm a huge fan of wrestling now... but I was way too young to enjoy it
back
> >in the late 70's, when I wasn't even school-aged yet. However, I have
come
> >across several old WWF (then known as WWWF) tapes on eBay and through
tape
> >trades. Good stuff! There was actual wrestling! No twenty minute
> >interviews like they do today! Any fans on the Newsgroup?
> >

> Oh god! you and Rachel are going to get along famously!!!!! : )

Figures that we'd have a big thread on wrestling just as she goes on
vacation.

Jeff Troutman

Stkjcmwk

Mar 17, 2001, 11:02:22 PM3/17/01
Hi Everybody,
When I lived here in Eugene the first time (1970-1972), I used to watch
Portland Wrestling on t.v. every weekend. My favorite was Dutch Savage. In
fact, I still have my old black and white photo of him that I bought.
My late Dad too me to a few wrestling matches when the Portland guys used
to come to town. I'll never forget watching and Indian Death Match between
Savage and the Indian Bull Ramos. What a hoot!
I still remember Ramos saying things like "no speak with forked tongue".
LOL! And then there was the late Lonnie Mayne (sp?). I always loved it when
he played it to the hilt that he was getting too excited during interviews and
then he'd say "there's excitement in the air". I recall that there was a
period where he was a bad guy and then he mended his ways and became a good
again. How sad that he died in a car wreck (I believe).
I also remember the bad guys from Australia the Boyd Brothers. One of
them was Jonathan. I also recall Jimmy Snuka as well.
I read an interview with Savage back in the late '80s or early '90s where
he said that boatloads of the guys who used to wrestle back then had some major
substance abuse problems. A lot of times, those guys got pretty loaded. I
doubt it was when they were wrestling, but they had some major problems because
there wasn't the money in it like there is now.
Take Care,
Steve
P.S.-The only wrestling I like nowadays is the wrestling I do with my
German Sheperd. She's more believable and unscripted.

Rob Riemensnyder

The Wanderer

Mar 15, 2001, 7:57:46 PM3/15/01
I used to watch it then but lost my interest when it became about too much
showbiz. That was about the same time as Vince admitted it was a fake. That
was right after they dragged in Cyndi Lauper and crew and started bringing
stars (like from entertainment) into it. And it was the World Wide Wrestling
Federation before it was the World Wrestling Federation.

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/5591/
http://members.nbci.com/oroborus12/70s.html
"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
Aristotle Onassis

"Rob Riemensnyder" <TonyCli...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Yeff

Mar 15, 2001, 9:31:56 PM3/15/01
In article <U6ds6.44$Im6....@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,
Rob Riemensnyder<TonyCli...@yahoo.com> wrote in
alt.culture.us.1970s:

> I'm a huge fan of wrestling now... but I was way too young to enjoy it back
> in the late 70's, when I wasn't even school-aged yet. However, I have come
> across several old WWF (then known as WWWF) tapes on eBay and through tape
> trades. Good stuff! There was actual wrestling! No twenty minute
> interviews like they do today! Any fans on the Newsgroup?

Saturday afternoon, George "The Animal" Steel,
Andre The Giant, Hulk Hogan (before Rocky 2 made
him famous), the "sleeper" hold, Professor
Tanaka, Tony Atlas...

Great stuff. Thanks for the memories.

#1 Tiger Fan

Mar 15, 2001, 10:10:06 PM3/15/01

#1 Tiger Fan

Doug

Mar 15, 2001, 10:28:11 PM3/15/01
Big Tex Mackenzie,Tony Marino,Bobo Brazil,The Stomper,The Sheik,Bulldog Don
Curry,..........who was that butcher guy?

-Doug

Rob Riemensnyder

Beatlfilms

Mar 15, 2001, 10:26:22 PM3/15/01
Rob Riemensnyder said:

>I'm a huge fan of wrestling now... but I was way too young to enjoy it back
>in the late 70's, when I wasn't even school-aged yet. However, I have come
>across several old WWF (then known as WWWF) tapes on eBay and through tape
>trades. Good stuff! There was actual wrestling! No twenty minute
>interviews like they do today! Any fans on the Newsgroup?

I remember watching wrestling on TV in the 70s and seeing the likes of the
Freebirds, Ted DiBiase, Rick Martel, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Jimmy Snuka, Andre The
Giant, Dutch Savage, Jerry Lawler, Rip Oliver, Ric Flair, Curt Hennig, Playboy
Buddy Rose, Dusty Rhodes, and Billy Jack. There was indeed more "wrestling"
back then and a lot less of the promos. They also bled quite a bit more than in
the "Cyndi Lauper" era mentioned by Buddy. When it went mainstream in the 80s,
people quit bleeding. Imagine that!

Shawn

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Mar 15, 2001, 10:45:22 PM3/15/01

I don't really follow it now, but I really liked it around 1973-75; I loved
Billy "Superstar" Graham for being over the top, Andre the Giant for being
a force of nature, and Haystacks Calhoun for entertainingly embodying all
of the scary hillbilly stereotypes. In fact, i loved all the stereotypical
villians, like Ivan Koloff and the Mad Sheik; nothing like an arena full
of WWF fans booing the Ruskies and the A-Rabs. I also loved Fred Blassie
and Captain Lou Albano; what colorful characters these all were.

Plus, I always liked the steel cage matches, or fights that would break out
outside the ring; I loved the sheer theatricality of the biggest and fakest
gimmicks.

I guess I started to lose interest when Bruno Sammartino lost his championship
belt; I didn't think Bob Backlund was much of a successor, and started to
lose interest.

Tom

Dixon Hayes

Mar 16, 2001, 1:27:56 AM3/16/01
I remember watching Georgia Championship Wrestling on WTCG in Atlanta. That's
where Mr. Wrestling #1 and Mr Wrestling #2 (both masked) took on all comers.
Then one day one of them turned against the other and they got new partners,
then one got his mask ripped off--the HORROR!--and the other one reconciled and
vowed to avenge it. Classic stuff.

Also, it was during the 70s that I first saw quite possibly the greatest
wrestler of my time: Andre the Giant.

Dixon
===========
"Well, I guess to sum it up, you could say, there's three reasons why there's
so little crime in Mayberry. There's Andy, there's me, and [patting gun] baby
makes three."
--Barney Fife

Home Page: http://www.geocities.com/screenjockey/

Rob Riemensnyder

recsec

Mar 16, 2001, 4:24:35 AM3/16/01

"Rob Riemensnyder" <TonyCli...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I'm a huge fan of wrestling now... but I was way too young to enjoy it
back
> in the late 70's, when I wasn't even school-aged yet
> Any fans on the Newsgroup?

O you bet. Here in Houston ours was The National Wrestling Alliaince or NWA.
Dory Funk jr. was the champion for years until Harley Race beat him. Then
soon after that Jack Briscoe beat him in FLA. We had wresting here every
Friday night at The Sam Houston Coloseum. Paul Boesch was the
announcer/owner of Houston Wrestling. We've talked about this in the past
but the ones who were regulars here were:

Thunderbolt Patterson
Jose Lothario
Johnny Valentine
Mil Mascaras
Tiger Conway Sr. & Jr.
Gino Hernandez
Wahoo Macdaniel

Either Jose or Wahoo was always the Texas State Champion or The Brass Kucks
Champ. The 3 ring Battle Royal started right here. One of my all time
favorite wrestlers got his start here. That being Ivan Putski. He didn't
look like a wrestler at all. But he quickly became a fan favorite. He would
have rocks busted over his stomach with a sledge hammer & crush garbage cans
with his arms. One of the worst bad guys was a fella named Stan 'The
Crusher' Staziak. He was famous for the heart punch. Two of the referees
were Danny McShain (a former wrestler) & Bronko Lubich also a former
wrestler. They would show it on Saturday nights from 10:30 to midnight then
Sunday mornings from 9:00 to 10:30. In my closet I have a LOT of wrestling
mags that featured WWWF wrestlers. I could never figure out why there were
no NWA articles in it tho.
Billy

NJROB65

Mar 16, 2001, 5:39:05 AM3/16/01
I'm a huge fan of wrestling now... but I was way too young to enjoy it back
<<in the late 70's, when I wasn't even school-aged yet. However, I have come
across several old WWF (then known as WWWF) tapes on eBay and through tape
trades. Good stuff! There was actual wrestling! No twenty minute
interviews like they do today! Any fans on the Newsgroup?>>

I was a fan in the 70's. My favorites included Mil Mascaras, Chavo Guerrero
Sr, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes, Superstar Graham, Spiros Arion,
Ernie Ladd, Rocky Johnson, Jack Brisco, Bobo Brazil, Eric The Red, Flying Fred
Curry, Dominic DeNucci, Stan Stasiak, Stan Hansen, S.D. Jones, Bugsy McGraw,
Tony Garea, High Chief Peter Maivia, The Mighty Igor, Antonio Inoki and Greg
Valentine. My favorite promotions were the WWWF, the IWA(North Carolina
based-long defunct), Florida region of the NWA, and Los Angeles/Southern
California region of the NWA.

Endymion9

Mar 16, 2001, 6:21:40 AM3/16/01
My favorite Wrestling II moment was when Abdullah the Butcher first came on
the scene in the mid 70s. He chewed up the previously unbeatable Ray Candy
and spit him out. He went through pretty decent wrestlers week after week
and seemed an unstoppable monster. He would eat light bulbs and photographs
of his opponents. (we always figured he was really from Alabama but did a
great job not coming out of character <grin>).

Finally Abdullah was supposed to wrestle some hack and Wrestling II jumps in
the ring and challenges him. Well Freddie Blassie or whoever was managing
Abdullah at the time wanted no part of it but Mr. W II kept egging Abdullah
on and finally Abdullah charged him. So Abdullah starts smashing W II
around for a bit but W II takes everything thrown at him and finally starts
punching back. He stuns Abdullah and finally flips him on his back by
whipping him into the ropes and laying down and flipping Abdullah with his
feet. Then W II gets up and hits Abdullah with a knee lift that completely
knocked him thru the ropes and out of the ring. Abdullah's manager then
grabbed him and hustled him to the dressing rooms not letting him back in
the ring with W II.
I thought it was W II's finest moment. <grin>. Hey I've always known it's
all fake but what a good story they used to put on. Now a days it's all
soap opera BS.

--
Dennis/Endy
~dancing us from the darkest nights is the rhythm of love powered by the

"Rob Riemensnyder" <TonyCli...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Endymion9

Mar 16, 2001, 6:15:51 AM3/16/01
"Dixon Hayes" <dixon...@aol.comspamless> wrote in message
> I remember watching Georgia Championship Wrestling on WTCG in Atlanta.
That's
> where Mr. Wrestling #1 and Mr Wrestling #2 (both masked) took on all
comers.
> Then one day one of them turned against the other and they got new
partners,
> then one got his mask ripped off--the HORROR!--and the other one
reconciled and
> vowed to avenge it. Classic stuff.
>
> Also, it was during the 70s that I first saw quite possibly the greatest
> wrestler of my time: Andre the Giant.
>
> Dixon

I loved Wrestling I and II and hated when they turned on each other for
awhile. They were truly good *good* guys.

I loved Andre the Giant from the first time I saw him too. I thought
finally here is a good guy who can smash any bad guy <grin>.

One time we were watching him wrestling three little skinny hacks and he put
all three of them in the corner and started smashing all his weight into to
them. Well the camera happened to catch the guy in the very back moaning "I
wish I could get out of here". It looked very unscripted and sincere.

We laughed so hard. Then we decided to turn the sound down and put pretend
funny lines in for the wrestlers kind of like they do on Mystery Science
Theatre 3000. Hey we were just ahead of our time <grin>.

Dixon Hayes

Mar 16, 2001, 8:07:59 AM3/16/01
Rob Riemensnyder wrote:

>My ex-girlfriend Stefanie is the daughter
>of the original Mr. Wrestling II. He's been retired for years now. He
>currently makes a living selling real estate in Florida.

No kidding...does he still wear the mask or did someone from Coldwell Banker
rip it off? LOL...okay seriously, that is way too cool!

WiNK

Mar 16, 2001, 8:46:00 AM3/16/01
Does anyone remember "The Claw?" Or was this just local? I remember a
wrestler named The Claw who would come at the TV Camera, hand fixed in a
claw........ and the announcer would always feign absolute fear. We'd watch
it every weekend, but that is the only one I can remember by name!!!!!

Nadine

Endymion9 <endy...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

NJROB65

Mar 18, 2001, 3:45:05 AM3/18/01
On Sat, 17 Mar 2001 00:04:27 GMT, in alt.culture.us.1970s another
induhvidual wrote:

>Here we go. I found a few pics of him from back then. Altho it kinda hurt to
>find out he's not really a polack. I never knew that about him until just
>this minute. Anyway here is the link:'
>
>http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Field/7342/Gposa.html
>
>Billy

<<Wow, I used to have a picture of him on the steamer in the kitchen of

the restaurant I used to own and he was very clean-shaven.>>

Putski changed his look in the late 1970's, he cut his hair very short and
shaved off his beard. He held the WWF Tag Team Title with Tito Santana from
1979-1980.

<<He looks
like one of the hated Rooskies in that picture.>>

Except he had hair, the "Russians" sported clean shaven heads.

<<He even got a mention
on local Public Radio when the local station did a story about my
place, and the weird goings-ons there. Nice work finding those pics,
they are defintely earlier than the one I had. The story tells how he
changed to more of a body-builder from a power-lifter type later in
his career, which is when I must have seen him>>

Putski was in one of the World's Strongest Man Competitions in 79 or 1980.

<<Funny how that made both of us remember the same guy as being someone
totally different.>>

You're both correct, Putski altered his appearance radically.

NJROB65

Mar 18, 2001, 3:56:59 AM3/18/01
<< I just finished reading all the responses to this thread (boy were
there a lot of them!!) and noticed one thing that hasn't been mentioned.
Ladies Midget Wrestling (I know, that's not very PC, but this was the
early-mid 70's). I *know* I didn't imagine this!! My brother and I
would watch it on Saturday afternoons (usually around 1:30-2:00).>>

Although I do remember watching "midget" wrestling matches,men's and
women's, I don't recall a promotion consisting entired of female midget
wrestling.

<<Afterwards they would show "regular" wrestling and then sometimes we
would get the roller derby (another classic "sports" event). Anyone
else remember any of this?>>

I recall roller derby, which had a fairly long history of being linked to
professional wrestling. The Los Angeles Thunderbirds never lost, which was one
of the reasons I really didn't like it. Also, the Thunderbirs would be losing
a match, there would be a commercial, they'd come back from the commercial and
the T-Birds would be ahead and the match would end ahortly after. Also, top
players would be "traded" to the T-Birds with no explanation.

Tiny Dancer

Mar 17, 2001, 7:36:42 PM3/17/01
And so the word went out from "redace" <redace...@worldnet.att.net>:

> I just finished reading all the responses to this thread (boy were
>there a lot of them!!) and noticed one thing that hasn't been mentioned.
>Ladies Midget Wrestling (I know, that's not very PC, but this was the
>early-mid 70's). I *know* I didn't imagine this!! My brother and I
>would watch it on Saturday afternoons (usually around 1:30-2:00).
>Afterwards they would show "regular" wrestling and then sometimes we
>would get the roller derby (another classic "sports" event). Anyone
>else remember any of this?
>
>Lori =^.^=
>(Who is not usually considered delusional)

I must admit I never watched but I definitely remember Ladies Midget
Wrestling being part of the sports package on weekends. I watched
some of the Roller Derby gals, they were pretty impressive to a young
and impressionable kid like me, yowza! Wasn't that long ago I recall
the hub-bub over Midget (or Dwarf) Tossing in bars. It sounds awful and
horribly un-PC but, hey, if they're not being forced to participate then I say
let them get tossed, you know? Same way I feel about prostitutes, as long
as no one's *forcing* them to do the work, leave 'em alone to make money
and raise their kids etc, who's it hurting?

Man, talk about getting sidetracked there, sorry, Lori! Ahem, I do recall
Ladies Midget Wrestling, you're not delusional (at least not this time! ;-)

Cheers,

TD

And the roller derby program said
That she was built like a 'fridgerator with a head
Her fans call her "Tuffy"
But all her buddies called her "Spike"
from Jim Croce's "Roller Derby Queen"

For a good time call
http://members.nbci.com/oroborus12/70s.html

Tiny Dancer's X-Files Episode Guide
http://www.insanity.com.au/td/

The Sesame Street Lyrics and Sounds Archive
http://i.am/tinyd

Chris Sherlock

Mar 18, 2001, 11:10:45 AM3/18/01
Yep, but I was never a big fan of the WWWF/WWF. Back in the old days, I
think Vince McMahon, Sr. honored the old gentleman's agreement that
wrestling organizations didn't interfere with each other's operations, and I
had a great deal of respect for that viewpoint. However, when Vince, Jr.
took over, he started gobbling up the little fish and became a big fish. I
still vividly remember (no matter how much I try to forget!) turning on my
TV one Saturday evening in the 1970's to watch "Georgia Championship
Wrestling" on WTBS (back when TBS was a local Atlanta TV station) and being
shocked to see Freddie Miller telling me I was about to watch "action from
the WWF." Thank God that didn't last!

Chris Sherlock

Mar 18, 2001, 11:17:44 AM3/18/01
Some time ago, one of the local Atlanta stations ran what I remember to be a
seven-hour block of wrestling on Saturday night. During the years it was
on, they showed such wrestling organizations as World Class Championship
Wrestling from Dallas, Mid-South Wrestling/The Universal Wrestling
Federation, the AWA, Continental Championship Wrestling from Birmingham,
Alabama, the World Wrestling Council (Puerto Rico), Memphis Wrestling (my
personal favorite!) and Smoky Mountain Wrestling from North Carolina, among
others. This station also had a program that featured clips from matches in
smaller organizations. Ah, those were the best days of professional
wrestling, IMO!

Chris Sherlock

Mar 18, 2001, 11:21:08 AM3/18/01
Another interesting gimmick wrestling organizations used to use during the
"Cold War" years was to have Russian villians. I remember watching
Mid-Atlantic Wrestling from the Carolinas in the 1970's and early 80's and
seeing Ivan Koloff and his nephew, Nikita. I later found out that they were
both actually American and, as I recall, not related to each other!

Chris Sherlock

Mar 18, 2001, 11:24:30 AM3/18/01
I remember that, Dixon! Until the day he retired from wrestling, I don't
think Mr. Wrestling #2 had his mask removed--at least, not that I'm aware
of. I also remember him starting a bogus feud with Magnum T.A. in the Mid
South Area. Mr. Wrestling #2 later explained the feud by saying that he
thought Magnum had the tools to be a good wrestler, but that he just didn't
have the fire.

Chris Sherlock

Mar 18, 2001, 11:25:54 AM3/18/01
But, did you ever see him without his mask, Rob? ;-)

Chris Sherlock

Mar 18, 2001, 11:29:45 AM3/18/01
My mother used to be a teacher and one of her former students always said
that Abdullah was her uncle. Too bad Ray Candy and many of the other former
greats are no longer with us. Just one of the reasons pro wrestling has
gone down the tubes, IMO.

> My favorite Wrestling II moment was when Abdullah the Butcher first came
on
> the scene in the mid 70s. He chewed up the previously unbeatable Ray
Candy
> and spit him out.

Chris Sherlock

Mar 18, 2001, 11:33:48 AM3/18/01
Dick Murdock was always a favorite of mine, too. I think Dick and his old
friend Dusty Rhodes teamed up toward the end of Dick's career, if my
memory's not failing me!

> On Fri, 16 Mar 2001 06:53:46 GMT, in alt.culture.us.1970s another
> induhvidual wrote:
>
> He had a great fued with Larry Zybsko during the early to mid eighties
> that I really enjoyed. During that time, sicne we had PBS, we also
> got to see one of my big favourites - "Captain Redneck" Dick Murdock.
>

> #1 Tiger Fan
> **************

Chris Sherlock

Mar 18, 2001, 11:41:36 AM3/18/01
I used to collect issues of "The Ring's Wrestling"--anybody remember that
one? It was a comprehensive magazine with reports from wrestling
organizations throughout the United States and Canada. I never imagined
wrestling would change the way it has or that the magazine would stop
publication so, unfortunately, I didn't save my old issues!

"recsec" <rec...@flash.net> wrote in message

Chris Sherlock

Mar 18, 2001, 11:49:02 AM3/18/01
I remember Jonathan Boyd...he managed the Sheepherders, Luke Williams and
Butch Miller. As I recall, they were supposed to be Jonathan's cousins. I
never saw Southwest Wrestling, but I understand they were active there. I
know they were also active in Memphis for awhile.

#1 Tiger Fan

Mar 18, 2001, 12:01:50 PM3/18/01
On Sun, 18 Mar 2001 11:33:48 -0500, in alt.culture.us.1970s another
induhvidual wrote:

>Dick Murdock was always a favorite of mine, too. I think Dick and his old
>friend Dusty Rhodes teamed up toward the end of Dick's career, if my
>memory's not failing me!

Early in their careers they were together as the Texas Outlaws. This
was reprised a bit later on.

Chris Sherlock

Mar 18, 2001, 12:12:58 PM3/18/01
Let me correct myself on this one...Ivan Koloff was, originally, Russian as
it turns out. Not sure about Nikita.

"Chris Sherlock" <chis_s...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

The Wanderer

Mar 18, 2001, 12:56:45 PM3/18/01
I agree with you 100%. While back in the '70s I used to watch, and favor,
the WWWF, I also used to enjoy those rare occurrebces when we would get to
see some other region's wrestling. You'd sit there and say "Hey, THIS
wrestling looks like it might be real." Maybe just because it was new and
different. Vince Jr. ruined wrestling. Now when you look at it you know
immediately that all of it is fake. Not a chance in hell of this being real,
no how, no way. Too much show biz. And we all underneath it all would like
to BELIEVE that it is real if only mistakenly. It has to do with mythology
and the clasic battle of good versus evil. It seems that the steroids Vince
was on went to his brain and took an ambitious son of a bitch and turned him
into some horrendous cartoon-like monstrosity. He wants, it seems, to be
head of a wrestling/football/sports cartel.

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/5591/
http://members.nbci.com/oroborus12/70s.html
"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
Aristotle Onassis

"Chris Sherlock" <chis_s...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Chris Sherlock

Mar 18, 2001, 2:21:26 PM3/18/01
For those who fondly remember pro wrestling's recent history of regional
organizations, this is a *great* web site--I was impressed!

http://www.kayfabememories.com/index.htm

NJROB65

Mar 18, 2001, 2:48:09 PM3/18/01

AFAIK, Ivan Koloff (Orrel Paris) is a French-Canadian from Montreal. His
"nephew" Nikita's real name is Scott simpson, and he hails from Virginia.

NJROB65

Mar 18, 2001, 2:53:01 PM3/18/01
<< Dick Murdock was always a favorite of mine, too. I think Dick and his old
friend Dusty Rhodes teamed up toward the end of Dick's career, if my
memory's not failing me!>>

Rhodes and Murdoch teamed up, mostly in Southern promotions, as The Texas
Outlaws from roughly 1969 to 1974, the beginning of both men's careers.
Towards the end of his career, Murdoch often teamed up with Dick Slater.

NJROB65

Mar 18, 2001, 3:01:03 PM3/18/01
<< I remember that, Dixon! Until the day he retired from wrestling, I don't
think Mr. Wrestling #2 had his mask removed--at least, not that I'm aware
of.>>
In the 1960's, Mr. Wrestling II competed sans mask as Johnny "Rubberman"
Walker.

NJROB65

Mar 18, 2001, 3:05:44 PM3/18/01
<< I used to collect issues of "The Ring's Wrestling"--anybody remember that
one? It was a comprehensive magazine with reports from wrestling
organizations throughout the United States and Canada. I never imagined
wrestling would change the way it has or that the magazine would stop
publication so, unfortunately, I didn't save my old issues!>>

The Ring Wrestling did a very good job of covering regional wrestling, at
a time when most wrestling magazines had five or six correspondence reports, at
best. The last time I recall seeing it was around 1980, I also through out all
my issues.

NJROB65

Mar 18, 2001, 3:32:33 PM3/18/01
<< I remember Jonathan Boyd...he managed the Sheepherders, Luke Williams and
Butch Miller. As I recall, they were supposed to be Jonathan's cousins. I
never saw Southwest Wrestling, but I understand they were active there. I
know they were also active in Memphis for awhile. >>

Southwest Championship Wrestling was on the USA Network on Sunday mornings
in the early 1980's, it was replaced by the WWF. I think Butch Miller and luke
Williams are actually cousins, I don't know about "Lord" Jonathan Boyd. While
in Southwest Championship Wrestling, Boyd was injured legitimately in a car
accident and suffered a broken the leg, he was replaced by Butch Miller. Boyd
formed a version of the Sheepherders with Rip Morgan, while Williams amd Miller
competed in the Mid-South, UWF, and NWA as the Sheepherders before moving to
the WWF and being repackaged as The Butchwhackers, complete with a lame
gimmick.

Chris Sherlock

Mar 18, 2001, 4:16:52 PM3/18/01
You're right...forgot about Dick Slater. Seems like I remember seeing a few
matches in the 70's where Murdock and Rhodes also teamed up.

"NJROB65" <njr...@aol.com> wrote in message

Chris Sherlock

Mar 18, 2001, 4:14:51 PM3/18/01
I stand corrected on "Ivan." What I found on a Wrestling Hall of Fame web
page is that he was born in Russia but relocated to Canada when he was very
young...

"NJROB65" <njr...@aol.com> wrote in message

Chris Sherlock

Mar 18, 2001, 4:19:13 PM3/18/01
I never knew he competed without the mask...thanks!

"NJROB65" <njr...@aol.com> wrote in message

Chris Sherlock

Mar 18, 2001, 4:22:29 PM3/18/01
Totally forgot about Rip Morgan...and probably never would have thought of
him again!

#1 Tiger Fan

Mar 18, 2001, 5:31:15 PM3/18/01
On 18 Mar 2001 19:53:01 GMT, in alt.culture.us.1970s another
induhvidual wrote:

> Rhodes and Murdoch teamed up, mostly in Southern promotions, as The Texas
>Outlaws from roughly 1969 to 1974, the beginning of both men's careers.
>Towards the end of his career, Murdoch often teamed up with Dick Slater.

Don't forget the horrible team up of "Captain Redneck" with
"Adorable" adrian Adonis with his gay fat drag queen schtick. Yeesh!

Beatlfilms

Mar 18, 2001, 8:12:46 PM3/18/01
Chris Sherlock saidL

>I remember Jonathan Boyd...he managed the Sheepherders, Luke Williams and
>Butch Miller.

Butch Miller signed my arm after a Sheepherders match in the late 70s. I don't
remember now why I had him write on my arm instead of a piece of paper, but I
recall it being fairly thrilling at the time!

Shawn

Jeff Troutman

Mar 18, 2001, 9:35:31 PM3/18/01
"Chris Sherlock" <chis_s...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Another interesting gimmick wrestling organizations used to use during the
> "Cold War" years was to have Russian villians.

This still happens. Atlanta's Dragon*Con featured wrestling last year, and
one of the "villains" had a "we Russians are superior" motif.

Punk fans may be interested to note that one of the featured wrestlers was
Jerry Only of the Misfits, who will be back this year.

Jeff Troutman

Rob Riemensnyder

Mar 18, 2001, 10:24:22 PM3/18/01

Actually, Murdock teamed with Adrian before he became "Adorable". Adonis
was still the "tough biker from Hell's Kitchen" when he and Murdock ruled
the WWF tag team scene. :)

--
-Rob Riemensnyder

"The small businessman always gets it in the ass."

"#1 Tiger Fan" <number1...@my-deja.nospam.com> wrote in message

Rob Riemensnyder

Mar 18, 2001, 10:30:04 PM3/18/01

LADIES midget wrestling? Wow. I never heard of that! I've heard of midget
wrestling. I still remember guys like Sky Low Low and Little Beaver showing
up every now and then... but I never saw a female midget wrestler! :)

--

"redace" <redace...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> Rob Riemensnyder wrote in message ...

> >I'm a huge fan of wrestling now... but I was way too young to enjoy it
> back
> >in the late 70's, when I wasn't even school-aged yet. However, I have
> come
> >across several old WWF (then known as WWWF) tapes on eBay and through
> tape
> >trades. Good stuff! There was actual wrestling! No twenty minute
> >interviews like they do today! Any fans on the Newsgroup?
> >

> I just finished reading all the responses to this thread (boy were
> there a lot of them!!) and noticed one thing that hasn't been mentioned.
> Ladies Midget Wrestling (I know, that's not very PC, but this was the
> early-mid 70's). I *know* I didn't imagine this!! My brother and I
> would watch it on Saturday afternoons (usually around 1:30-2:00).
> Afterwards they would show "regular" wrestling and then sometimes we
> would get the roller derby (another classic "sports" event). Anyone
> else remember any of this?
>
> Lori =^.^=
> (Who is not usually considered delusional)

Steve84

Mar 18, 2001, 11:12:55 PM3/18/01
I grew up going to Cobo Arena in Detroit in the 70s to see the Original
Shiek and Bobo Brazil along with Pampiro Firpo and Wild Bull and Flying Fred
Curry. Those were the days!

Steve

--
Steve's page of Fun links
http://www.stevesfunlinks.com/

The Wanderer

Chris Sherlock

Mar 19, 2001, 8:54:03 AM3/19/01
They sure were--no way modern wrestling compares!

"Steve84" <ste...@flash.net> wrote in message