Old people's music

The Wanderer

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00
At the risk of people thinking I'm talking about myself when I say old
people's music......
What music did your parents listen to that you thought was "old people's
music"? Stuff you hated then, but now listen to and say "Man, I didn't know
what I was missing. That stuff is GOOD!"
I ask that because I'm sitting here listening to Sinatra's Reprise
collection. Something that I've had for about 10 years but gets better with
each playing.

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

"The feeling is strong, it overpowers my thoughts
I am not aware of the reality that my blood knows only too well
My mind is hostile for the wrong reasons
I am only 'son' and 'man', and the need to be 'brother' is tremendous

redace

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00

The Wanderer wrote in message ...

>At the risk of people thinking I'm talking about myself when I say old
>people's music......
>What music did your parents listen to that you thought was "old
people's
>music"? Stuff you hated then, but now listen to and say "Man, I didn't
know
>what I was missing. That stuff is GOOD!"
>I ask that because I'm sitting here listening to Sinatra's Reprise
>collection. Something that I've had for about 10 years but gets better
with
>each playing.

Oddly enough, I enjoyed almost all of my mom's music with the exception
of the western show tunes ("Paint Your Wagon, etc..). A sampling of my
mom's record collection: Gene Krupa, Glenn Miller (she had the complete
Miller on 45's! It came in a huge book.), Ricky Nelson *(Her fav!), Lou
Rawls, disco album mixes (you know, things like Saturday Night
Disco-Mania!), classical mixes (which I still listen to today), and
stacks of 45's from the 50's and early 60's (Songs like Dante's Inferno,
Moon River, etc..). I wasn't allowed to buy albums until I had a job of
my own (Got my first record at 13 with baby-sitting money!), so if it
wasn't the radio, it was mom's or older brother's record collection I
listened to. Every once in a while, I search the AM radio for a station
that's playing big band...makes me feel like a little kid. ;-)

Lori =^.^=

WiNK

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00
Likewise, Lori..... I liked my mom's old honky tonk records :-).....her
Elvis "He Touched Me" gospel record was my first exposure to Elvis at age 5
and it reeled me in....... the only thing I didn't like was her "extremely
white sounding" gospel music, which to me wasn't gospel at all. (Still
don't like it.) With exception to the last thing mentioned, I still listen
to some of my mom's "old people" music.

Nadine

redace <redace...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

WiNK

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00
OH!!! And God Bless DEAN MARTIN!!!! :-)

antipos...@my-deja.com

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00
Anything by all the following:

Sinatra - I particularly love the Nelson Riddle swing stuff from the
late 1950s
Ella Fitzgerald
Louie Prima
Johnny Mathis
Tony Bennett
Nat King Cole

as well as songs by the great songwriters - George Gershwin, Cole
Porter, etc. I now realize how brilliantly talented these people were.

My mom used to listen to WNEW-AM; my brother and I listened to WNEW-FM.
The FM station still exists, but, sadly, the AM station no longer does.

Tom

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sandy

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00
>OH!!! And God Bless DEAN MARTIN!!!! :-)

Hey, you scared me there for a minute Nadine!! : )

I never really hated any of my parents music, but I even like it more now. My
mom was into country and western so I grew up listening to Dean Martin, Eddy
Arnold and a variety of songs such as "Dang Me" by Roger Miller and that sort.
My dad, on the other hand liked Big Band, but never got to listen to it (my mom
didn't like it, so.....). Growing up his nick-name was BG for Benny Goodman. I
have been getting into in a little. I have a couple of cds. But it's so funny
thinking of him saying things like "this isn't music, its just noise" or "this
music all sounds the same!" when talking about dreaded rock and roll. I listen
to Big Band, and I can't tell one Band apart from the other! lol!! But I
really like the nostalgic feel to it.

It's funny...my dad had nothing at all good to say about the music (I think
thats about the only thing we ever argued about...just fun arguing, though!) I
and my siblings grew up with. I remember him watching Rod Stewart on some show
with me and him saying "he looks just like a girl"....I often say to him now,
talking about some of the singers of today , "hey, Rod Stewart doesn't seems so
bad anymore, does he?" He just gives me that grin of his.... : )
Sandy

2-60
Class of 78

WiNK

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00
Dang Me!!! "....high from the highest treeeeeeee. Woman wouldya weep for
me." :-) That's when I first hear "Maple Surple" too! My personal
favorite from Roger Miller is "My Uncle Used to Love Me but She Died!" :-)

Nadine

Sandy <sand...@aol.com> wrote in message

ALS 62

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00
I, also, liked the music my parents (mostly Dad) played. I remember he used to
turn it up soooooo loud on Sunday mornings that the whole neighborhood could
hear it! Mostly he listened to the crooners....Dean, Bing, Frank..... also
Mario Lanza, Perry Como...also lots of Irish music. I learned the words to the
Irish Nat'l Anthem before the US one. Also, he was and is a
classical/orchestral music fanatic. He is so happy that my daughter plays
violin and is in the youth orchestra now.
Anne
8/62
Class of 1980

Laurie

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00
In article <8vej7h$1v3$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

I will always remember my mother listening to the moody blues I swear
as long as I live I will never forget that song Nights in White Satin.I
used to make fun of it and she would totally go off her head it was so
funny.She would also only put on this certain music station in
Newfoundland Q93 and it would play all her music god just thinking
about it drives me nuts.The scariest part is if I hear any of those
songs now I actually remember the words.......creepy
Laurie

LizzieZ

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00
I've actually shared most of my parents' musical tastes for most of my life.
With the main exceptions being my mother's devotion to Perry Como (I don't
dislike him, just don't listen to him myself) and my devotion to the 70s <g> we
listen to a ton of the same stuff. I developed my enormous love of jazz from
my father (especially the old big bands like Count Basie and Duke Ellington,
and people like Dave Brubeck and Lambert Hendricks and Ross), and they share
(well, actually probably fed) my love of Broadway musicals, especially Stephen
Sondheim. I know I would never have to twist their arms to listen to his
shows. We also all enjoy classical music, so fortunately we were (and still
are) a very musically compatible family.

Liz

antipos...@my-deja.com

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00
Liz, I've come to really appreciate music from the decades before I
existed (i.e., the 1930s - 1950s). But, I absolutely draw the line at
Perry Como, who, IMHO, has all of the musical substance of a wet
kleenex. (He's also completely white bread, and was probably the music
of middle class white people in the 50s who feared the "Negroes"
becoming too "uppity"; of course, I'm going out on a limb with this,
since I wasn't there).

The other people you mention here are great.

In article <20001121173244...@ng-cg1.aol.com>,

Kelly

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00
My parents were never really into music. But my dad scored some "coolness"
points with me when he asked me to tape my Pink Floyd albums for him.

Kelly

"The Wanderer" <rosieon...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> At the risk of people thinking I'm talking about myself when I say old
> people's music......
> What music did your parents listen to that you thought was "old people's
> music"? Stuff you hated then, but now listen to and say "Man, I didn't
know
> what I was missing. That stuff is GOOD!"
> I ask that because I'm sitting here listening to Sinatra's Reprise
> collection. Something that I've had for about 10 years but gets better
with
> each playing.

Raphael

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00
ALS 62 <al...@aol.com> wrote in message

I grew up listening to artists like Marty Robbins, Eddie Arnold...'old'
country (which I prefer to today's 'new' country, truth be told), as well as
a LOT of Irish music (with a name like Erin, you'd expect less? ). My Mom
actually loved Mario Lanza (so much so that we listened to the Christmas
album EVERY year while decorating...). Last year, for Christmas, I moved my
parents out of the 70's by buying them a CD player to replace the 8 track
player. I got Mom a Mario Lanza CD (Be My Love, I think). I honestly
thought she was going to cry, she got so happy/excited.

While she listened to that, I beat a retreat to listen to my new Beatles'
CDs <G>.

Erin ">
(of course, my older brother listened to Deep Purple & the Beatles when I
was growing up...it's no wonder my musical tastes are so weird <G>)

Jeff Troutman

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00
"redace" <redace...@worldnet.att.net> wrote >

> Oddly enough, I enjoyed almost all of my mom's music with the exception
> of the western show tunes ("Paint Your Wagon, etc..). A sampling of my
> mom's record collection: Gene Krupa, Glenn Miller (she had the complete
> Miller on 45's! It came in a huge book.), Ricky Nelson *(Her fav!), Lou
> Rawls, disco album mixes (you know, things like Saturday Night
> Disco-Mania!), classical mixes (which I still listen to today), and
> stacks of 45's from the 50's and early 60's (Songs like Dante's Inferno,
> Moon River, etc

My mother had that same Glenn Miller collection. Excellent stuff. She also
had some Ella Fitzgerald, Tony Bennett, and Pete Fountain stuff. She had a
few soundtracks, like West Side Story and Camelot, but she seemed to have a
soft spot for Christmas music compilations most of all.

Maybe the coolest LP she had in her collection ( to me, anyway ) was the
Harry Belafonte album that Bob Dylan played harmonica on.

Jeff Troutman

aleen

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00

hmmm, i have always really really liked my parents' taste in music (although
my mom now likes country which i despise), to this day i pretty much listen
to what my dad listens to, he's very good for keeping up with the times.
however his musical selection GROWS rather than changes. my dad has all the
zeppelin and kiss records, which explains why i love zeppelin as much as i
do anyways. but i think my dad's heart always belonged to the late 60s
where he was one of those guys with long hair and sunglasses and psychedelic
paisley shirts, tee hee! yes i mock him about this! :-) so growing up
there was always records by the electric prunes or the blues magoos hanging
around closeby! in fact i knew how to sing "I had too much to dream last
night" by the electric prunes by the time i was about four years old, tee
hee!! i went through three phases with my parents' music, particularly my
dad's: as a child i idolized his music, as a surly teenager i mocked his
music (but secretly listened to it when nobody was home, or i put on the
headphones!) to finally simply TAKING HIS RECORDS WITH ME when i moved out,
tee hee!!! that pretty much sums it up right there!

have a great day guys!
aleen the karaoke queen :-)

azure

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00
my mom always listened to 50s stuff-esp. elvis

azure

Sandy

Nov 21, 2000, 9:09:19 PM11/21/00
>I will always remember my mother listening to the moody blues I swear
>as long as I live I will never forget that song Nights in White Satin.I
>used to make fun of it and she would totally go off her head it was so
>funny.She would also only put on this certain music station in
>Newfoundland Q93 and it would play all her music god just thinking
>about it drives me nuts.The scariest part is if I hear any of those
>songs now I actually remember the words.......creepy
>Laurie

That's not creepy Laurie, that's cool!!! She at least brought you up with good
music! :)

Sandy

Nov 21, 2000, 9:11:29 PM11/21/00
> My personal
>favorite from Roger Miller is "My Uncle Used to Love Me but She Died!" :-)

LOL!! I don't think I ever heard that one...now I HAVE to!!

The Wanderer

Nov 21, 2000, 9:51:34 PM11/21/00
Your half right on this one Tom IMHO. I can actually listen to some of his
stuff though, He had this VERY soft soothing voice that I think people
appreciated after WWII and Korea. They wanted to be lulled back to sleep.

"The feeling is strong, it overpowers my thoughts
I am not aware of the reality that my blood knows only too well
My mind is hostile for the wrong reasons
I am only 'son' and 'man', and the need to be 'brother' is tremendous

<antipos...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

The Wanderer

Nov 21, 2000, 9:51:35 PM11/21/00
Whoa, Kelly! Did you check his pupils or look to see if there were any brown
marks on his finger tips? You might need to check. Does he laugh sometimes
non-stop and get ravenously hungry, particularly for junk food? And
definitely get a small sample of hair, there's this place where you cand
send it.

"Kelly" <kwit...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

> My parents were never really into music. But my dad scored some "coolness"
> points with me when he asked me to tape my Pink Floyd albums for him.
>
> Kelly
>

> "The Wanderer" <rosieon...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > At the risk of people thinking I'm talking about myself when I say old
> > people's music......
> > What music did your parents listen to that you thought was "old people's
> > music"? Stuff you hated then, but now listen to and say "Man, I didn't
> know
> > what I was missing. That stuff is GOOD!"
> > I ask that because I'm sitting here listening to Sinatra's Reprise
> > collection. Something that I've had for about 10 years but gets better
> with
> > each playing.

The Wanderer

Nov 21, 2000, 9:51:33 PM11/21/00
Hey Tom, They buried WNEW FM last spring/summer. It's dead and they even had
a funeral for it. It broke my heart but it's gone.

> Anything by all the following:
>
> Sinatra - I particularly love the Nelson Riddle swing stuff from the
> late 1950s
> Ella Fitzgerald
> Louie Prima
> Johnny Mathis
> Tony Bennett
> Nat King Cole
>
> as well as songs by the great songwriters - George Gershwin, Cole
> Porter, etc. I now realize how brilliantly talented these people were.
>
> My mom used to listen to WNEW-AM; my brother and I listened to WNEW-FM.
> The FM station still exists, but, sadly, the AM station no longer does.
>
> Tom

antipos...@my-deja.com

Nov 21, 2000, 11:06:29 PM11/21/00
In article <WwGS5.6071$BL.4...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,

"The Wanderer" <rosieon...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> Your half right on this one Tom IMHO. I can actually listen to some of
his
> stuff though, He had this VERY soft soothing voice that I think people
> appreciated after WWII and Korea. They wanted to be lulled back to
sleep.

Perhaps I am being a bit unfair, and I certainly mean no disrespect to
Liz's mom, or to all the other moms and dads, or to anxious white
people, who liked him. I guess he did have a soothing voice, which
probably did help his listeners to relax. It's just that I've heard
similar things said about Kenny G., and I have little use for him,
either. Personally, I'd rather relax to other things - some mellow (but
good) jazz, for instance

Ah well, Buddy, different strokes for different strokes.

Now Tower of Power - that's great music! (I'm still buzzing from that
excellent show.)

Tom

recsec

Nov 21, 2000, 11:47:39 PM11/21/00

"WiNK" <tcbel...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Dang Me!!! "....high from the highest treeeeeeee. Woman wouldya weep for
> me." :-) That's when I first hear "Maple Surple" too! My personal

> favorite from Roger Miller is "My Uncle Used to Love Me but She Died!"
:-)

> Nadine

I like 'You Can't Rollerskate In A Buffalo Herd'. But my fave RM tune is
'Chug-A-Lug'. "Make's ya wanta holler hi-de-ho, burns your tummy don't you
know. Chug-A-Lug 4-H & a FFA on a field trip to the farm snuck out out
behind the barn, uncovered up a covered up moonshine still. . ." I just love
that tune!!
Billy

Dixon Hayes

Nov 22, 2000, 12:20:05 AM11/22/00
Buddy wrote:

>What music did your parents listen to that you thought was "old people's
>music"? Stuff you hated then, but now listen to and say "Man, I didn't know
>what I was missing. That stuff is GOOD!"

In my case my parents had a wonderful record collection that included the
Drifters, the Four Seasons and the Temptations...some truly awesome stuff.
They also listened to a lot of instrumental stuff from the likes of Bert
Klampfaert, Herb Alpert, etc. And oh yes they were big Glen Campbell fans.

When my parents split up he took the cool stuff and left Mom with zilch. So
she bought her own records...Carpenters, Carpenters and more Carpenters. I'm
sure they made some lovely music but boy did *it* ever get old at the Hayes
household!!

Dixon
=============
"I ain't got time to stand around and discuss trivial trivialities..."
--Barney Fife

Remember THE Hollywood Squares...the original and the best
http://www.geocities.com/screenjockey/classicsquares.html

Dixon Hayes

Nov 22, 2000, 12:28:25 AM11/22/00
Anyone remember the SCTV sketch that made fun of Perry Como? It was supposed
to be a promo for a concert and it showed him (portrayed by Rick Moranis) lying
on his stomach on the stage, singing everything half-asleep. It was hilarious,
especially the dramatic pause in "Kiss Today Goodbye"...

The Wanderer

Naz Reyes

Nov 22, 2000, 1:52:34 AM11/22/00
In article <WBxS5.1143$FT.6...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,

"The Wanderer" <rosieon...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> At the risk of people thinking I'm talking about myself when I say old
> people's music......
> What music did your parents listen to that you thought was "old
people's
> music"? Stuff you hated then, but now listen to and say "Man, I didn't
know
> what I was missing. That stuff is GOOD!"
> I ask that because I'm sitting here listening to Sinatra's Reprise
> collection. Something that I've had for about 10 years but gets better
with
> each playing.
>
> --
> Buddy
> from Brooklyn

Well, my dad's favorite when I was a kid was HERB ALPERT and the TIJUANA
BRASS and he could never get enough of that band. Even though he's a
guitarist at heart, he would always rather listen to the trumpet-playing
Herb Alpert. My dad even told me that I *loved* Herb Alpert, also, and
I used to dance around to Herb's music when I was a kid :) When I
became a teenager, I never admitted to any of my friends that I listened
to that type of music. Nowadays, though, I think Herb Alpert and the
Tijuana Brass were amazing in their time, and they knew how to make FUN
music! I still think that "TIJUANA TAXI" is one of the best
instrumental songs of all-time!!! :-)

My mom's favorite was/is NAT KING COLE, though. She even makes jokes
nowadays that she was ready to marry Nat King Cole right after she saw
him in concert in the 50s :-)

My opinion on Nat King Cole? Well, he's probably one of the most
romantic balladeers of all-time, not to mention one of the best voices
God ever created :-)

-Naz

recsec

Nov 22, 2000, 2:47:13 AM11/22/00

"The Wanderer" <rosieon...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> At the risk of people thinking I'm talking about myself when I say old
> people's music......
> What music did your parents listen to that you thought was "old people's
> music"? Stuff you hated then, but now listen to and say "Man, I didn't
know
> what I was missing. That stuff is GOOD!"

Well in our house there was a lot of 'That Good 'Ol Nashville Music' going
on. Lot's & lot's of country. But my dad did have a few Al Hirt albums. I
wont say I hated it, but it was not my favorite. Nowadays tho if'n I hear
some of his music (& know that it's him) I can enjoy it. But I'm not gonna
lay tracks for the record store. Other than that & the country there was
also all that GREAT Rock n Roll from the 50's & those 45's have survived. I
have them all. I loved it then & now.
Billy

antipos...@my-deja.com

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
In article <8vfqfh$21g$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
Naz Reyes <n...@american.edu> wrote:
> In article <WBxS5.1143$FT.6...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,

> Well, my dad's favorite when I was a kid was HERB ALPERT and the
TIJUANA
> BRASS and he could never get enough of that band. Even though he's a
> guitarist at heart, he would always rather listen to the
trumpet-playing
> Herb Alpert. My dad even told me that I *loved* Herb Alpert, also,
and
> I used to dance around to Herb's music when I was a kid :) When I
> became a teenager, I never admitted to any of my friends that I
listened
> to that type of music. Nowadays, though, I think Herb Alpert and the
> Tijuana Brass were amazing in their time, and they knew how to make
FUN
> music! I still think that "TIJUANA TAXI" is one of the best
> instrumental songs of all-time!!! :-)

My sister gave me a Herb Albert as a gag gift a few christmases ago and
it was actually fun, albeit in a kitschy way, to listen to.

> My mom's favorite was/is NAT KING COLE, though. She even makes jokes
> nowadays that she was ready to marry Nat King Cole right after she saw
> him in concert in the 50s :-)
>
> My opinion on Nat King Cole? Well, he's probably one of the most
> romantic balladeers of all-time, not to mention one of the best voices
> God ever created :-)

Good call, Naz. His daughter's pretty decent too, but NKC was the man!

The Wanderer

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
> My opinion on Nat King Cole? Well, he's probably one of the most
> romantic balladeers of all-time, not to mention one of the best voices
> God ever created :-)
>
> -Naz

Much agreed, Naz.

The Wanderer

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
He caught a lot of criticism in his time for not "being black enough". A lot
of younger people said that he was the "white man's version of a black man".
And that he tried to hard to fall into that "Frank Sinatra" mold for singers
i.e. white.

> In article <8vfqfh$21g$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> Naz Reyes <n...@american.edu> wrote:
> > In article <WBxS5.1143$FT.6...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
>

> > Well, my dad's favorite when I was a kid was HERB ALPERT and the
> TIJUANA
> > BRASS and he could never get enough of that band. Even though he's a
> > guitarist at heart, he would always rather listen to the
> trumpet-playing
> > Herb Alpert. My dad even told me that I *loved* Herb Alpert, also,
> and
> > I used to dance around to Herb's music when I was a kid :) When I
> > became a teenager, I never admitted to any of my friends that I
> listened
> > to that type of music. Nowadays, though, I think Herb Alpert and the
> > Tijuana Brass were amazing in their time, and they knew how to make
> FUN
> > music! I still think that "TIJUANA TAXI" is one of the best
> > instrumental songs of all-time!!! :-)
>

> My sister gave me a Herb Albert as a gag gift a few christmases ago and
> it was actually fun, albeit in a kitschy way, to listen to.
>

> > My mom's favorite was/is NAT KING COLE, though. She even makes jokes
> > nowadays that she was ready to marry Nat King Cole right after she saw
> > him in concert in the 50s :-)
> >
> > My opinion on Nat King Cole? Well, he's probably one of the most
> > romantic balladeers of all-time, not to mention one of the best voices
> > God ever created :-)
>

> Good call, Naz. His daughter's pretty decent too, but NKC was the man!

Jason LeBouef

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
In article <WBxS5.1143$FT.6...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
"The Wanderer" <rosieon...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> At the risk of people thinking I'm talking about myself when I say old
> people's music......
> What music did your parents listen to that you thought was "old
people's
> music"? Stuff you hated then, but now listen to and say "Man, I didn't
know
> what I was missing. That stuff is GOOD!"
> I ask that because I'm sitting here listening to Sinatra's Reprise
> collection. Something that I've had for about 10 years but gets better
with
> each playing.

When I was small, my dad used to listen to his Motown records and 50s
music, so I always thought that 50's and 60's music was cool. The "old
people" music came from my GRANDPA's stereo. Hank Williams, Ernest
Tubb, Bob Wills, Patsy Cline, Roy Acuff (old country) etc.. That was
old people's music, but I still thought it sounded great.

ALS 62

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
<< I moved my parents out of the 70's by buying them a CD player to replace the
8 track player. I got Mom a Mario Lanza CD (Be My Love, I think). I honestly
thought she was going to cry, she got so happy/excited.

While she listened to that, I beat a retreat to listen to my new Beatles'CDs
<G>.

Erin "> >>

Erin,

I did the same for my parents. Of course, being frugal New Englanders, it's
killing my Dad to have to "replace" so much of his vinyl and tape with CD's, so
I get him a few for every holiday and birthday. He does love the improved
quality of sound and how easy it is to just pop in a CD than to try and locate
a particular song on the 8 track. He just got a "new" computer.....an LCII
which is the dinousaur of Macs, I believe. But it was free and that is pretty
much all that matters to dear old Dad. It was an improvement from his DEC
Rainbow with the dot matrix printer. At least now, he's breaking into the
early 80's technology! LOL.

Tiny Dancer

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
And so the word went out from "The Wanderer" <rosieon...@worldnet.att.net>:

>What music did your parents listen to that you thought was "old people's
>music"? Stuff you hated then, but now listen to and say "Man, I didn't know
>what I was missing. That stuff is GOOD!"

Country music ruled in our house or, should I say, on our radio, I seemed
to be the only one that played actual records. Most of our listening was
done in the car (lots of road trips going from gig to gig) and that radio
was welded to the local country station. Kind of calming now and then
when we'd be between cities and couldn't connect to anything. I can still
see my Dad turning the dial frantically trying to find *anything* and turning
just as fast if he landed on a pop station! The few albums I do recall being
played were usually by Bobby Bare, Patsy Cline, Eddie Arnold or Tom
T. Hall, as long as it was torchy, twangy and heart-breaking. I ended up
taping one of my Dad's albums, "Bobby Bare sings Lullabys, Legends
and Lies", a great collection of Shel Silverstein's songs ("Marie Laveau",
"Daddy What If", "Bottomless Well" and the fab "Rosalie's Good Eats Cafe")
and I still play that one today. And I'll always be partial to Patsy, loads of
people called my mother Australia's Patsy Cline. But I can't listen to the
rest of the old country anymore and "new" country is fast becoming pop
music, if you ask me, why bother to call it country at all?

The funny thing is, my parents never listened to Frank Sinatra or Billie
Holiday, I discovered them on my own and still tear the roof off the dump
with a well-cranked CD or two :-)

Cheers,

TD

I could whistle up an old tune
That your memory might recall
Rustle up some reminisce
'Bout the good old days and all
from Harry Chapin's "If My Mary Were Here"

For a good time call
http://members.nbci.com/oroborus12/70s.html

The Sesame Street Lyrics and Sounds Archive
http://i.am/tinyd

Tiny Dancer's X-Files Episode Guide
http://www.insanity.com.au/td/

antipos...@my-deja.com

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
In article <VwGS5.6070$BL.4...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,

"The Wanderer" <rosieon...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> Hey Tom, They buried WNEW FM last spring/summer. It's dead and they
> even had a funeral for it. It broke my heart but it's gone.

Wow, really?! How sad! I had no idea. I guess I don't listen to nearly
enough radio as I used to. But NEW was such a fixture (actually, both
NEWs) that I always assumed that it would be there forever.

Who were some of WNEW's Djs, Buddy? I remember Vince Scelsa, Alison
Steele, Dave something-or-other, Scott Muni, and a few other folks.

Bill McKenzie

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
We were too poor to afford a "Hi-Fi" as my father would call it. I do recall my
dad having a 45 of some Marine song about the Green Beret. The radio was always
playing Sinatra, etc. and my mother liked Johnny Mathis.

The Wanderer wrote:

> At the risk of people thinking I'm talking about myself when I say old
> people's music......

> What music did your parents listen to that you thought was "old people's
> music"? Stuff you hated then, but now listen to and say "Man, I didn't know
> what I was missing. That stuff is GOOD!"

> I ask that because I'm sitting here listening to Sinatra's Reprise

> collection. Something that I've had for about 10 years but gets better with
> each playing.

ALS 62

Nov 22, 2000, 8:38:22 PM11/22/00
<< Then why is he doing it? I see absolutely no reason to own a CD player,
I don't intend to ever purchase one. I'm quite satisfied with LP and
8-Track tape. Digital audio sucks, they can keep it.

--
Roger Blake >>

He likes the portability of his CD player as opposed to a record player. He
can bring it into any room he's in, especially the basement when he's escaping
from my mother.

The Wanderer

Nov 22, 2000, 9:47:48 PM11/22/00
Wow it's been so long I cant remember any others that the ones you
mentioned. Prime listening when I listened constantly was from 7pm til about
10 or 11pm. The Nightbird Allison Steele, wow. Many nights in '71 she would
start her show with Moondance by Van Morrison-heavy.

> In article <VwGS5.6070$BL.4...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
> "The Wanderer" <rosieon...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> > Hey Tom, They buried WNEW FM last spring/summer. It's dead and they
> > even had a funeral for it. It broke my heart but it's gone.
>

> Wow, really?! How sad! I had no idea. I guess I don't listen to nearly
> enough radio as I used to. But NEW was such a fixture (actually, both
> NEWs) that I always assumed that it would be there forever.
>
> Who were some of WNEW's Djs, Buddy? I remember Vince Scelsa, Alison
> Steele, Dave something-or-other, Scott Muni, and a few other folks.

ALS 62

Nov 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/23/00
<< >He likes the portability of his CD player as opposed to a record player.

I guess I can understand that to an extent, except of course there are
battery-powered portable record players, and 8-Track tape is also quite
portable. :-)

--
Roger Blake >>

Only problem is.....he doesn't have all the music he likes to hear on both 8
track and vinyl. Hey, I agree with you somewhat about all the new digital
technology......but I'm also too ingrained in my ways now. A lot of times,
I'd love to just pull out one of my old albums and crank it up on the record
player. Unfortunately I need a new stylus and I'm just too lazy to go out and
get one. I miss that sound.

Believe me Roger, my father would definitely be a big fan of yours......he
still has dial phones, a cb radio, and a few vehicles which are vintage 70's
and still used every day. He still lives by the adage,"Use it up, wear it out,
make it do, or do without."

Oriole Adams

Nov 26, 2000, 9:14:38 PM11/26/00
>I guess I can understand that to an extent, except of course there are
>battery-powered portable record players, and 8-Track tape is also quite
>portable. :-)

I have to laugh, as this reminds me of my own dad. Mind you, the first 'tape'
recorded he ever owned recorded on a piece of wire, not magnetic tape, yet all
of a sudden, into his late 60s/early 70s, he's an audiophile! My brother got
him a CD player, and my dad is now making lists of his favorites for my husband
to download and burn onto CDs for him ("so much better sound quality," Dad
enthuses.) As a man who held on to his old Muntz TV for so many years, it's
humorous to watch him carefully adjust all the various levers and buttons on
the stereo, carefully "equallizing" each individual track, so that he gets the
true audio impact of such gems as, say, "North to Alaska", or some classic by
Grandpa Jones.