'70s comedians.....

mstx

Feb 23, 2001, 1:09:36 PM2/23/01
Who was your favorite comedian from the seventies?

mstx

Nate

Feb 23, 2001, 1:48:12 PM2/23/01
>Who was your favorite comedian from the seventies?

Lily Tomlin

Here's a special sig just for Dawna and her new job:

"One ringy-dingy. Two ringy-dingys. A gracious good afernoon...Have I
reached the party to whom I am speaking? Mr. Vidal, you owe us a balance
of $23.64. When may we expect payment? Pardon? When what freezes over?...I
don't see why you're kicking up such a ruckus when according to our
files your present bank balance, plus stocks, securities and other holdings,
amounts to exactly...Pardon? Priviledged information? Oh! (snort, snort)
Mr. Vidal, oh, that's so cute! No, no, no you're dealing with the telephone
company...We are omnipotent..." -- Lily Tomlin as "Ernestine" the telephone
operator

Beatlfilms

Feb 23, 2001, 3:19:24 PM2/23/01
mstx said:

>Who was your favorite comedian from the seventies?

Without a doubt, George Carlin.

Shawn

The Wanderer

Feb 23, 2001, 3:38:56 PM2/23/01
So Many:
George Carlin
Richard Pryor
Robert Klein
Chris Rush
Ron Carey
George Kirby
Slappy White
Allen & Rossi
Cheech & Chong
The Conception Corporation
Firesign Theater
Redd Foxx
Freddy Prinz
.................and many more I cant remember right now. But so many cross
over from the '60s to the '70s.

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
Aristotle Onassis
"mstx" <ms...@texasflood.com> wrote in message

Richard Edwards

Feb 23, 2001, 3:42:07 PM2/23/01
On 23 Feb 2001 20:19:24 GMT, beatl...@aol.com (Beatlfilms) wrote:

>mstx said:
>
>>Who was your favorite comedian from the seventies?

The two and only Cheech and Chong, who I had the pleasure to see live
in 1974 at Colorado Springs City Auditorium. It was my first
out-of-town concert, the tickets were a gift from my aunt and uncle
for my 12th birthday.

Rick

Lose one WHAMMY to reply

#1 Tiger Fan

Feb 23, 2001, 4:16:21 PM2/23/01
On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 20:42:07 GMT, in alt.culture.us.1970s another
induhvidual wrote:

>Who was your favorite comedian from the seventies?

The Unknown Comic.

#1 Tiger Fan
**************

"belive me I am nothing to bragg about so dont waste all your time.®"
"it seems like every boddy trys to be politicly incorect these days®"
- grapetastebasted

"Jefferies sucks!"
- Public Domain

" It is just as pertinent as Fat Albert or other aspects of our
culture.®"
-None

Winner of the "Name the Little Fool" contest!!!®
- OMF

http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm

Jamie

Feb 23, 2001, 4:45:06 PM2/23/01
Nate doing a great Ernestine impression:

> "One ringy-dingy. Two ringy-dingys. A gracious good afernoon...Have I
> reached the party to whom I am speaking? Mr. Vidal, you owe us a balance
> of $23.64. When may we expect payment? Pardon? When what freezes over?.

LOLOL My exact conversation with the VISA people last month!!! Except they lost
over $500. And they still haven't found it! But that is okay, because they are
omnipotent.

Jamie

Jamie

Feb 23, 2001, 4:47:17 PM2/23/01
Hard to come up with one, but here are a few that stand out

Lily Tomlin
Gilda Radner
George Carlin
Steve Martin

Jamie

The Wanderer

Feb 23, 2001, 7:39:05 PM2/23/01
Favorite lines by the Unknown Comic:

Hey Chucky, I had sex with a model last night.....but then the glue melted
and it fell apart in my hand.

I was out with my girl parking on lover's lane. We were getting kind of
romantic, when she said "Ya wanna get in the back seat?" And I told her "NO,
I'd rather stay up here with you."

"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
Aristotle Onassis

"#1 Tiger Fan" <number1...@my-deja.nospam.com> wrote in message

David Ballarotto

Feb 23, 2001, 7:39:17 PM2/23/01
I was just a little kid during the 70s, so I didn't get Steve Martin or
George Carlin or any of those guys, but by the time the 80s rolled around, I
became a huge fan of the greatest comedian of the 1970s (and 60s, 80s and
early 90s).........heeeeeeeeeeeere's Johnny!

Endymion9

Feb 23, 2001, 7:55:19 PM2/23/01
Richard Pryor!!! Especially his Mudbone routines.

2nd Red Foxx
3rd Steve Martin
4th George Carlin

--
Dennis/Endy
~dancing us from the darkest nights is the rhythm of love powered by the

Nate

Feb 23, 2001, 8:17:45 PM2/23/01
>Hey Chucky, I had sex with a model last night.....but then the glue melted
>and it fell apart in my hand.

You failed to mention his obnoxious laff after his jokes.

hoo,hoo,hoo - hoo,hoo, hoo - hoo, hoo, hoo

Larry: The Oldies Rocker

Feb 23, 2001, 8:21:23 PM2/23/01
For me, it's a tie between George Carlin and Johnny Carson. I saw them
perform together several times as part of the Mighty Carson Art Players.
IMHO, unbeatable.

Larry

--

"mstx" <ms...@texasflood.com> wrote in message

> Who was your favorite comedian from the seventies?
>
> mstx

Sandy

Feb 23, 2001, 10:11:46 PM2/23/01
I'd have to say my favorite of the 70s was Steve Martin. Some of his stuff
especially on Saturday Night Live had me in tears! :)

Sandy

2-60
Class of 78

recsec

Feb 23, 2001, 11:51:17 PM2/23/01

"mstx" <ms...@texasflood.com> wrote in message
> Who was your favorite comedian from the seventies?
>
> mstx

O wow that would have to be:

David Brenner
George Carlin
Richard Pryor
The Not Ready For Prime Time Players
Bill Cosby
Bob Newhart
The Wild & Crazy Guy. What was his name now?? Steve Johnson? Is that it. No.
Oh Welll Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse MEEEEEEEEE!!!!
Johnny Carson
Franklin Ajaye
That's all I can think of now but I'm sure there are more.
Billy

Trit...@webtv.net

Feb 23, 2001, 11:56:51 PM2/23/01
I loved Don Rickles when he would go on Carson. He still cracks me up.

Phaedra Alwell

Feb 24, 2001, 12:35:52 AM2/24/01
Richard Pryor was my favorite way back in the day...i remember my dad
took my mom and I to a drive in! to see his show i cant remember the
whole name something about the sunset strip...
I did not understand at the time i was just happy to see my mom and dad
laughing.

Phaedra '74 : )

Molly

Feb 24, 2001, 1:11:03 AM2/24/01
I LOVE George Carlin and Richard Pryor. I still remember when Richard
Pryor was on SNL. The Exorsist (sp) parady with him as the priest, "THE
BED IS ON MY FOOT!!!"

Molly

Dixon Hayes

Feb 24, 2001, 3:36:19 AM2/24/01
I don't even know where to start on this one, there were so many. George
Carlin always got straight to me though, I don't think I ever heard a single
thing from him I disagreed with--whether it's the fact there's no blue food, or
the idea that network censors consider "fart" to be worse than the other F-word
("You never tune into the Tonight Show and see everyone suddenly move away from
Ed McMahon!").

Freddie Prinze was always right on for me too...and so was then struggling
young comedians, Jay Leno and David Letterman. Remember when Letterman did
game shows?

There were numerous old school comedians I came to admire...Johnny Carson, Jack
Benny, and most especially, Groucho Marx, among many many others...all during
the 70s...

Dixon
=============
"Let's dance, Maude...you're starting to get to me!"
--Barney Fife

Remember THE Hollywood Squares...the original and the best
http://www.geocities.com/screenjockey/classicsquares.html

John Deaux

Feb 24, 2001, 3:50:16 AM2/24/01
On 2/23/01 12:09 PM, in article 9761ss$343$1...@slb7.atl.mindspring.net, "mstx"
<ms...@texasflood.com> wrote:

> Who was your favorite comedian from the seventies?
>
> mstx

Richard Pryor
Franklin Ajaye
Steve Martin

The Wanderer

Feb 24, 2001, 5:57:09 AM2/24/01
I cant believe that I forgot Franklin Ajaye. He was such an underrated
comic. He eventually went into writing.

"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
Aristotle Onassis

"recsec" <rec...@flash.net> wrote in message

recsec

Feb 24, 2001, 6:18:23 AM2/24/01

"The Wanderer" <rosieon...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> I cant believe that I forgot Franklin Ajaye. He was such an underrated
> comic. He eventually went into writing.

He has one bit where he talks about the marathon in the Olympics. It's about
the guy who comes in last. That guy has to feel bad. He's running around the
track & seeing everybody else way up there & he's got to be thinking to
himself "damn I'm at the Olympics & in last place. All the suffering I've
done for the last 4 years. Hell I could have not done a damn thing to train
& STILL got last!!"

He also has a funny bit about the Jamaican bobsled team. Plus he was real
cool in the movie Carwash. He's right up there in the "Biggest afro of the
70's" catagory.
Billy

Shay Kuntz

Feb 24, 2001, 6:44:23 AM2/24/01
George Carlin or maybe Bill Cosby.
I like them both pretty equal.

Shay

Tom

Feb 24, 2001, 12:10:08 PM2/24/01

My favorites back then were:

-in the early 70s, when I was still a child:

Rich Little
Don Rickles
Foster Brooks
Phyllis Diller
Carol Burnett
and pretty much any comedian who appeared on Carol Burnett, Laugh In, or
the Dean Martin Show (or Roasts)

-in the mid to late 70s, when I was a teen
Cheech and Chong
Richard Pryor
The Unknown Comic
Andy Kaufman
Steve Martin
George Carlin
Richard Belzer
Martin Mull
Robert Klein

Jamie

Feb 24, 2001, 12:17:36 PM2/24/01
> Foster Brooks
> Phyllis Diller
> Carol Burnett
> and pretty much any comedian who appeared on Carol Burnett, Laugh In,

How could I have forgotten these ones. And I'd like to add Red Skelton to my
list. He may be more 60's, but hey, it's my list, and I'll put him here
anyway. *G*

Also I'd like to add Bob Newhart and Tim Conway.

Jamie

Larry Tremblay

Feb 24, 2001, 12:39:18 PM2/24/01
Carlin. No contest.

I cringe for Steve Martin, Jimmy (Dy-no-Mite) Walker,
Prinz, et al, now, who seem dated and foolish (IMHO).

Conversely, Carlin has dated very well.

LT

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Politics, as a practice, whatever its professions,
has always been the systematic organization
of hatreds. (Henry Adams)

Lenny Smith

Feb 24, 2001, 1:00:28 PM2/24/01

mstx wrote in message <9761ss$343$1...@slb7.atl.mindspring.net>...

>Who was your favorite comedian from the seventies?

Richard Pryor and George Carlin were great... Still remember their
appearances on the great Flip Wilson show from the early 70's... Steve
Martin used to make me laugh till it hurt... and Redd Foxx... seems these
are all "concensus" comics...

... one of my fave "guilty pleasure" comics of the '70's has to Rudy Ray
Moore... the legendary Dolemite, hehehe...

Lenny

Molly

Feb 24, 2001, 1:10:07 PM2/24/01
Oh how could I forget Steve Martin? *slaps head*

Molly

Chris Siciliano

Feb 24, 2001, 1:10:52 PM2/24/01
A couple that I did not see listed that I liked were Rodney Dangerfield and
Toti Fields.

"Tom" <antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

Jeff Troutman

Feb 24, 2001, 3:57:45 PM2/24/01
"recsec" <rec...@flash.net> wrote:

> "The Wanderer" <rosieon...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > I cant believe that I forgot Franklin Ajaye. He was such an underrated
> > comic. He eventually went into writing.
> >

> He has one bit where he talks about the marathon in the Olympics. It's
about
> the guy who comes in last. That guy has to feel bad. He's running around
the
> track & seeing everybody else way up there & he's got to be thinking to
> himself "damn I'm at the Olympics & in last place. All the suffering I've
> done for the last 4 years. Hell I could have not done a damn thing to
train
> & STILL got last!!"

So THAT'S who did that one! I saw that years ago and thought it was one of
the best-performed routines ever. But I could never remember the guy's
name. Thanks!

Jeff Troutman

Jeff Troutman

Feb 24, 2001, 4:02:28 PM2/24/01
"mstx" <ms...@texasflood.com> wrote:
> Who was your favorite comedian from the seventies?

Steve Martin
Richard Pryor
Bill Cosby
Tim Conway
Jonathan Winters

I loved Robin Williams, George Carlin, Monty Python, and The Firesign
Theatre too, but I didn't get into them until the '80s.

Jeff Troutman

Jeff Troutman

Feb 24, 2001, 4:00:00 PM2/24/01
"Larry Tremblay" <larryt...@carolina.rr.com> wrote:

> I cringe for Steve Martin, Jimmy (Dy-no-Mite) Walker,
> Prinz, et al, now, who seem dated and foolish (IMHO).

I think Martin may well agree with you that his act has dated, which may
explain why he's moved away from it as much as he has.

Jeff Troutman

Molly

Feb 24, 2001, 4:34:44 PM2/24/01
My introduction to British comedy was from Monty Python and Benny Hill.
I still love Monty Python today, but I'm not a huge fan of Benny Hill. I
don't know why I don't like Benny Hill anymore. It just seems like Monty
Python is a lot funnier to me.

Molly

Jeff Troutman

Feb 24, 2001, 5:27:08 PM2/24/01
"Molly" <molly...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> My introduction to British comedy was from Monty Python and Benny Hill.
> I still love Monty Python today, but I'm not a huge fan of Benny Hill. I
> don't know why I don't like Benny Hill anymore. It just seems like Monty
> Python is a lot funnier to me.

Benny Hill's problem, to me, was that he just told the same jokes over and
over again. And most of them weren't that funny the first time around.

Jeff Troutman

Dixon Hayes

Feb 24, 2001, 6:13:28 PM2/24/01
Molly wrote:

>I'm not a huge fan of Benny Hill. I
>don't know why I don't like Benny Hill anymore. It just seems like Monty
>Python is a lot funnier to me.

Perhaps it's because Benny Hill is so old-school. It's like comparing Bob Hope
to George Carlin.

Jamie

Feb 24, 2001, 6:34:22 PM2/24/01
> Jonathan Winters
>
> I loved Robin Williams, George Carlin, Monty Python, and The Firesign
> Theatre too, but I didn't get into them until the '80s.
>
> Jeff Troutman

Yes. I would also like to add Jonathan Winters and Robin Williams to my
list. Although Robin tended to get a little too frantic for me.

As for British, I loved Michael Crawford in Some Mothers Do 'Ave Em.

Jamie

The Wanderer

Feb 24, 2001, 7:17:39 PM2/24/01
Yeah, but to play on Lenny Bruce's words a liitle: if ya dress 'em up with a
little tits and ass you can tell them forever to an interested audience.

"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
Aristotle Onassis

"Jeff Troutman" <yourhe...@starpower.net> wrote in message

Tiny Dancer

Feb 24, 2001, 11:37:52 PM2/24/01
And so the word went out from "mstx" <ms...@texasflood.com>:

>Who was your favorite comedian from the seventies?

I enjoyed George Carlin but, as others have said, I didn't really "get"
him in the '70s but once I caught on, man, he was a killer!

My main fave was Bill Cosby. If you only know him from his TV shows
and commercials then do yourself a favour and grab one of his early
albums, you will *not* regret it! I've mentioned it here before but I'll stick
up for it again, his funniest and most inspired album was "To Russell,
My Brother, Whom I Slept With". One full side of the album, about 30
minutes, is the title track, an evening in the bedroom with Bill and Russell
as kids. "A man jumped in the window, Daaaad!". I can't tell you how
many times I've heard the whole thing and laughed my butt off every time.

"Chicken Heart", off the album, "Wonderfulness", is another killer track
for me, all about listening to a scary story on the radio ("Lights Out") when
his parents went out for the night. Long story short, there's this massive
chicken heart terrorizing the town (complete with a do-doot, do-doot
sound of the heart beating) and, at first, Bill is rooting for him ("Scare me,
man, scare me!", "Go, Chicken Heart, go, you wail!") but as the radio story
ends the heart is coming for him ("It's outside your DOOR! And it's going to
EAT YOU UP!"), he freaks and smears the floor with Jello (ironic seeing as
he was years away from an endorsement deal) so the monster will slip up
and then sets the couch on fire, "You won't come in here with all this smoke
and Jello!". After his father comes home, slips on the Jello and turns off the
radio ("I never thought of that."), he would grab strangers off the street for
years afterwards and say, "Hey, come here and look at my dumb kid. Go
on, tell them how you burned up a hundred dollar sofa and broke your father's
arm to save yourself from that do-doot, do-doot, do-doot."

Maybe you had to be there :-)

Cheers,

TD

There is hope for the future because God has a sense of humor
and we are funny to God.
Bill Cosby

For a good time call
http://members.nbci.com/oroborus12/70s.html

Tiny Dancer's X-Files Episode Guide
http://www.insanity.com.au/td/

The Sesame Street Lyrics and Sounds Archive
http://i.am/tinyd

Trit...@webtv.net

Feb 25, 2001, 3:57:09 AM2/25/01
I used to just love Moms Mabely when she was on Ed Sullivan....I guess
thats more late 60's but maybe early 70's too. She was hysterical!! I
once had a vinyl album of her comedy act...have no idea where its at now
though.

Tritt

Lenny Smith

Feb 25, 2001, 4:34:29 AM2/25/01
Jamie wrote:
> Phyllis Diller
> Carol Burnett

Definitely two of the best comediennes I've ever heard (have you ever heard
Phyllis Diller sing "Satisfaction"? I even liked Phyllis' short lived TV
show (started as "The Pruitts of South Hampton" and ended as "The Phyllis
Diller Show." I've seen it listed in a book of the worst sitcoms ever, LOL
(along with "My Mother the Car"), but what can I say? I thought it was
funny at the time... course, I was still in the single digits, agewise...

and

Chris Siciliano wrote in message
<978tes$2qhm$1...@newssvr05-en0.news.prodigy.com>...

>A couple that I did not see listed that I liked were Rodney Dangerfield and
>Toti Fields.

Toti was funny--not one of my faves (didn't see that much of her,
unfortunately) but she made me laugh. I find Rodney hysterical... but even
though he's been around forever, I remember him more for his work in the
80's than the 70's. And I'm sure his earlier work was incredible, too.

Lenny

Lenny Smith

Feb 25, 2001, 4:28:36 AM2/25/01

Trit...@webtv.net wrote in message
<7167-3A9...@storefull-291.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...

Flip Wilson was my intro to Moms, and she was COOL. I actually have two
records of hers (one where she SINGS! She sounds sorta like Louis Armstrong
with a sex change--does a good version of the Isley Bros "It's Your Thing"
and a nice "Abraham, Martin & John").

Lenny

The Wanderer

Feb 25, 2001, 6:40:02 AM2/25/01
I think she died in '72, maybe '73.

"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
Aristotle Onassis

<Trit...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Endymion9

Feb 25, 2001, 11:13:00 AM2/25/01
"Tiny Dancer" <ti...@idirect.com> wrote in message

> And so the word went out from "mstx" <ms...@texasflood.com>:
-snip-

> My main fave was Bill Cosby. If you only know him from his TV shows
> and commercials then do yourself a favour and grab one of his early
> albums, you will *not* regret it!
-snip-

> There is hope for the future because God has a sense of humor
> and we are funny to God.
> Bill Cosby

I've only heard a few of Cosby's standup routines. The one I enjoyed most
is the one where he eats some French concoction that consisted of a bird
with the beak and claws still on. He tells a hilarious tale of how his
stomach closed up and refused to accept it and his throat closed up and
wouldn't let it come back up either.

The other bit of his that stays with me is him talking about how when guys
leave the windshield wipers on after it stops raining they make the sound
"dumb guy....dumb guy...dumb guy" every cycle. I think of that everytime it
stops raining and my wife says "You can turn the wipers off now" <grin>.
--
Dennis/Endy
~dancing us from the darkest nights is the rhythm of love powered by the
beating of hearts~
http://home.mindspring.com/~endymion9/index.htm

Dixon Hayes

Feb 25, 2001, 11:57:33 AM2/25/01
Cosby's funniest bit...at least taht I ever heard on record...is his portrayal
of Noah, getting word from God on what he's supposed to do. "You want me to
build a WHAT?" Hilarious...

Jamie

Feb 25, 2001, 12:44:33 PM2/25/01
Dixon Hayes wrote:

> Cosby's funniest bit...at least taht I ever heard on record...is his portrayal
> of Noah, getting word from God on what he's supposed to do. "You want me to
> build a WHAT?" Hilarious...

I love that one. One of my favourites that he does, actually one of many
favourites.

Jamie

Yeff

Feb 25, 2001, 2:14:33 PM2/25/01

I remember an SNL in the 80's in which the
guest host failed to appear. They did a
pretty good job of filling in the time but
had to have Eddie Murphy do some stand-up.

He's doing his routine when suddenly there's
a commotion from the audience. Steve Martin
runs on stage yelling "Why didn't you call
me? I *made* this show!"

The amazed look on Eddie's face was classic.

-Jeff B.
yeff at erols dot com

LizzieZ

Feb 25, 2001, 2:41:14 PM2/25/01
>Cosby's funniest bit...at least taht I ever heard on record...is his
>portrayal
>of Noah, getting word from God on what he's supposed to do. "You want me to
>build a WHAT?" Hilarious...

I think my favorite of his was on "To Russell, My Brother," and it was the
description of having to share a bed with his brother, including how one's
pajama bottoms were touching the other's pajama bottoms, therefore crossing
over to HIS side of the bed. The descriptions and sound effects of their
father coming to whoop them were priceless. He really knows how to utilize a
microphone for great effect. My younger sister and I listened to that all the
time growing up and loved it.

Liz

Chris Siciliano

Feb 25, 2001, 3:37:27 PM2/25/01
One of the funniest I have heard is from "Bill Cosby Himself", his routine
on The Dentist and Natural Child Birth are classic.

"LizzieZ" <liz...@aol.comedy> wrote in message

Tiny Dancer

Feb 25, 2001, 3:50:28 PM2/25/01
And so the word went out from Molly <molly...@worldnet.att.net>:

>Oh how could I forget Steve Martin? *slaps head*

Be sure to pull the arrow out first, Molly! ;-)

Cheers,

TD

You know I could whistle up an old tune, babe
That your memory just might recall
And I could rustle up some reminise
'Bout the good old days and all
from Harry Chapin's "If My Mary Were Here"

Trit...@webtv.net

Feb 25, 2001, 4:22:19 PM2/25/01
If memory serves correctly, I believe Moms died in '75.

Tritt

Nate

Feb 25, 2001, 8:46:31 PM2/25/01
I'm sorry guys, but I'm feeling a bit reminscent of our Ruggles thread way
back. So, let me end this on. . .

"I have always thought - in the back of my mind. . .Cheese and Onions. .
.Cheese and Onions. . ."

Or. . .

"Ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, oooooooouch!"

The Wanderer

Feb 25, 2001, 9:11:04 PM2/25/01
Maybe.

"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
Aristotle Onassis
<Trit...@webtv.net> wrote in message

The Wanderer

Feb 25, 2001, 9:16:50 PM2/25/01
Rutles Nate!

"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
Aristotle Onassis

"Nate" <anat...@aol.com> wrote in message

Beatlfilms

Feb 26, 2001, 12:12:51 AM2/26/01
Dixon Hayes said:

>Cosby's funniest bit...at least taht I ever heard on record...is his
>portrayal
>of Noah, getting word from God on what he's supposed to do. "You want me to
>build a WHAT?" Hilarious...

I love that bit too! "Riiiiiiiiiiiight.... What's a cubit?" :-)

Shawn

recsec

Feb 26, 2001, 6:45:14 AM2/26/01

"Chris Siciliano" <OCEA...@PRODIGY.NET> wrote in message

> One of the funniest I have heard is from "Bill Cosby Himself", his routine
> on The Dentist and Natural Child Birth are classic.

"My wife then stands up in the stirrups. . . .grabs my bottom lip. . . .&
pulls it over my head!!!!!" That was so damn funny.
Billy

Lenny Smith

Feb 26, 2001, 10:09:00 PM2/26/01

Jeff Troutman wrote in message <979cr5$9b3$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>...

Still, Monty Python managed to make that formula WORK, lol... If it's not
funny the FIRST time... do it again and again till it IS! 'Course, most
of their routines were BRUTALLY funny the very first time 'round. You silly
bunt! ; )

Lenny

Lenny Smith

Feb 26, 2001, 10:10:59 PM2/26/01

Jamie wrote in message <3A98467B...@sympatico.ca>...

>Yes. I would also like to add Jonathan Winters and Robin Williams to my
>list. Although Robin tended to get a little too frantic for me.

I wish he would get a little MORE frantic these days... instead of always
playing the sweet, nice, and oh so sensitive guy. Yecch. He was DEMENTED
in his early days.

Lenny

Lenny Smith

Feb 28, 2001, 1:43:07 AM2/28/01

The Wanderer wrote in message
<5ORm6.5853$Ea1.4...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...

>> Jamie wrote in message <3A98467B...@sympatico.ca>...
>> >Yes. I would also like to add Jonathan Winters and Robin Williams to my
>> >list. Although Robin tended to get a little too frantic for me.
>>
>> and I wrote:
>> I wish he would get a little MORE frantic these days... instead of
always
>> playing the sweet, nice, and oh so sensitive guy. Yecch. He was
DEMENTED
>> in his early days.

>Cocaine had a lot to do with that. He stopped getting high (at least the
>coke) and became a family man. It took off a lot of his edge. And the
>testosterone doesn't rage like it did in his youth. Hence: chemical,
>lifestyle and hormonal changes. Dont know how old you are Lenny, but it
>catches up with us all. (Also ya have to calm down. Your woman enforces
>that. Remember who you sleep with, and what you have to do to "sleep" with
>her.)

Point well taken, Buddy. (Although I do wish he'd do something a LITTLE
less sweet 'n' sensitive... and maybe less flicks with kids... That
most-sensitive-guy-in-the-world schtick is wearing on me).

Lenny

Dixon Hayes

Feb 28, 2001, 8:27:50 AM2/28/01
Lenny wrote:

>(Although I do wish he'd do something a LITTLE
>less sweet 'n' sensitive... and maybe less flicks with kids...

I think that's part of the obligatory, "Fred MacMurray" route that actors feel
they have to take...coming off years of foul language or action flicks or both,
then making Disney or Disneyesque films. Williams did, in fact, do a remake of
MacMurray's "The Absent Minded Professor." Ditto Eddie Murphy ("Doctor
Doolittle," "The Nutty Professor") and Bruce Willis ("The Kid").

Dixon
=============
"Now let's get THAT vehicle OUTTA here!!"

Lenny Smith

Feb 28, 2001, 10:52:45 PM2/28/01

Dixon Hayes wrote in message
<20010228082750...@ng-fl1.aol.com>...

>Lenny wrote:
>
>>(Although I do wish he'd do something a LITTLE
>>less sweet 'n' sensitive... and maybe less flicks with kids...
>
>I think that's part of the obligatory, "Fred MacMurray" route that actors
feel
>they have to take...coming off years of foul language or action flicks or
both,
>then making Disney or Disneyesque films. Williams did, in fact, do a
remake of
>MacMurray's "The Absent Minded Professor." Ditto Eddie Murphy ("Doctor
>Doolittle," "The Nutty Professor") and Bruce Willis ("The Kid").

That's absolutely right, Dixon... and just like with Williams, I prefer the
amoral Fred MacMurry of Double Indemnity (what a tough talkin' flick!) to
the ineffectual pipe smokin' Pop of My Three Sons (although, as a kid when
it originally aired, I didn't know that yet, LOL).

Lenny