1970's disaster films

Keith W Howley

Jan 14, 2001, 10:42:06 PM1/14/01

Hey all. How many of you out there love disaster films? Here are my list of
favorites (in no particular order):

1. The Poseidon Adventure - Shelly Winters saving Gene Hackman! The 90-foot
todal wave! Leslie Nielsen in a serious role! :)

2. The Towering Inferno - My favorite of the disaster films. I always try to
envision what it would be like to be one of those party guests trapped that
high up with nowhere to go. Heights, a huge fire and a tall as hell
skyscraper don't mix! Perfect!

3. The entire "Airport" series - George Kennedy acting all macho. Kind of
laughable. His performance was good in the original, but got worse in ever
subsequent one. Helen Reddy as the singing nun, in 1975. Lee Grant as a
drunk in '77 and Jimmy Walker as a pot smoking saxophone player in '79.
Gotta love 'em!

4. Earthquake - Ava Garder totally overacts in this, especially in the
beginning. Charleton Heston gives good performance. The special effects were
fantastic! The earthquake scene lasted at least 9 minutes! God help L.A. if
that really happens!

Other runner-ups include: The Day After ( I always get scared seeing this
one), ID4, The Perfect Storm, and Twister.
--
Keither
"The True Voyage Of Discovery Lies Not

Keith W Howley

Jan 14, 2001, 10:46:28 PM1/14/01
I also forgot another good one: The Hindenburg. I watched this one tonight,
and it was fantastic. The intermixing of scenes from the real life footage
and the passengers scrambling for their lives I thought was a great idea for
a film like this. Music was also very good. Suspenseful throughout,
especially the 30 minutes leading to the explosion!
Keith W Howley <KEIT...@PRODIGY.NET> wrote in message

Tony Ning Lew

Jan 14, 2001, 11:13:08 PM1/14/01
In article <93trpu$179a$1...@newssvr05-en0.news.prodigy.com>,
"Keith W Howley" <KEIT...@PRODIGY.NET> wrote:

I liked "A Night to Remember" about the sinking of the Titanic.

Dixon Hayes

Jan 14, 2001, 11:30:56 PM1/14/01
My favorites were "The Towering Inferno", "The Poseidon Adventure" and "The
Hindenberg." Anyone remember a terrorism-adventure called "Rollercoaster"? How
about that all-star movie, "Meteorite"?

Dixon
=============
"Let's dance, Maude...you're starting to get to me!"
--Barney Fife

Remember THE Hollywood Squares...the original and the best
http://www.geocities.com/screenjockey/classicsquares.html

Keith W Howley

Jan 14, 2001, 11:43:45 PM1/14/01
Wasn't "Rollercoaster" about a maniac planting bombs or something on roller
coasters? I remember Meteor with Sean Connery. That was an ok one, I liked
when NYC was destroyed.

Keither

Dixon Hayes <dixon...@aol.comspamless> wrote in message

CARTRA56

Jan 15, 2001, 12:09:46 AM1/15/01
I remember seeing Earthquake in surround sound...Huge refridgerator sized
speakers all over the theatre. The whold theatre litterally shook....It was
WILD...for then!
Carla

recsec

Jan 15, 2001, 3:09:22 AM1/15/01

"Dixon Hayes" <dixon...@aol.comspamless> wrote in message

Isn't Rollercoaster the one that Kiss was in?? I remember it being
advertised in sensarround (sp?) sound but I have never seen it.
Billy

WiNK

Jan 15, 2001, 8:52:51 AM1/15/01
I loved "Rollercoaster." I even remember the cheesy rock band that sang at
the amusement part.....they sang this song called "Big Boy." And the lead
singer sounded like he had ingested a bunch of helium (hey--kind of like Axl
Rose.) Strange how silly things stand out like that.

Nadine
--
"Soon we'll be away from here, step on the gas and wipe that tear away.
One sweet dream came true today..."

Oriole Adams

Jan 15, 2001, 9:13:24 AM1/15/01
>I loved "Rollercoaster." I even remember the cheesy rock band that sang at
>the amusement part.....they sang this song called "Big Boy." And the lead
>singer sounded like he had ingested a bunch of helium (hey--kind of like Axl
>Rose.) Strange how silly things stand out like that.
>
>Nadine
>--
>"Soon we'll be away from here, step on the gas and wipe that tear away.
>One sweet dream came true today..."
>

>Dixon Hayes <dixon...@aol.comspamless> wrote in message
>> My favorites were "The Towering Inferno", "The Poseidon Adventure" and
>"The
>> Hindenberg." Anyone remember a terrorism-adventure called
>"Rollercoaster"?

Don't mean to start any trouble here, but them's fightin' words!

The alleged "cheesy" band was Sparks, who happen to be my second favorite band
in the world (Queen is first).

Granted, "Big Boy" and "Fill 'Er Up" aren't two of their best songs, but the
whole movie was kind of cheesy in the first place.

Sparks are known for their quirky musical arrangements and humorous
lyrics....definitely worth a listen.

Dixon Hayes

Jan 15, 2001, 9:20:41 AM1/15/01
Oriole Adams wrote:

>The alleged "cheesy" band was Sparks, who happen to be my second favorite
>band
>in the world (Queen is first).

Sparks?? The same group that gave us "Cool Places" in the 80s, along with that
hilarious video that went with it? You have *got* to be kidding! I sure am
glad they got better material!

Tank

Jan 15, 2001, 9:37:25 AM1/15/01
>Wasn't "Rollercoaster" about a maniac planting bombs or something on roller
coasters? <

That was the plot, which was sort of lame. Lots of fun shots of coasters,
though. "Rollerrcoaster" was a vehicle for the sound effect called
"Sensurround", as was "Earthquake". They put a very low frequency
rumble track on the film, and theatres that wanted to present the film in
Sensurround had to rent a special amplifier and speakers to reproduce it.
It was an option, and not required. We had "Earthquake" at the State
Theatre in downtown Sandusky, Ohio, where I worked as a projectionist,
and they did it in Sensurround. When they tested the amp and speakers,
it rattled the pictures off the walls in the offices, and knocked some stuff
off the shelves of a curio shop next door. We also had "Rollercoaster",
but did not present it in Sensurround. As I recall, these were the only
two movies promoted in this way. I do not remember any other
Sensurround films.

--
Tank
"Remember to pillage before you burn"

WiNK

Jan 15, 2001, 10:51:42 AM1/15/01
SPARKS!!! Forgive me! Never did like them much.....and I had no idea,
obviously. I didn't mind their song "Tips for Teens," but just remember how
my brother used to annoy me by singing the lyrics to "Big Boy." .... Big
boy comes around, throws his weight around....throws our girls
around.......... auuuughhhhh. :-)

Nadine

--
"Soon we'll be away from here, step on the gas and wipe that tear away.
One sweet dream came true today..."

Oriole Adams <oriol...@aol.com> wrote in message

Jeff Troutman

Jan 15, 2001, 4:08:28 PM1/15/01
"Dixon Hayes" <dixon...@aol.comspamless> wrote:
> Oriole Adams wrote:
>
> >The alleged "cheesy" band was Sparks, who happen to be my second favorite
> >band
> >in the world (Queen is first).
>
> Sparks?? The same group that gave us "Cool Places" in the 80s, along with
that
> hilarious video that went with it? You have *got* to be kidding! I sure
am
> glad they got better material!

They were going through a rough career patch at the time, I believe. I
mean, the fact they were the musical act in a disaster film should be an
indication that all was not well.

Jeff Troutman

The Wanderer

Jan 15, 2001, 5:22:26 PM1/15/01
There was a movie Midway (i think) that was produced in Sensurround.

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
Aristotle Onassis
"Tank" <alr...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

charles w. finley

Jan 16, 2001, 12:04:51 AM1/16/01
"Keith W Howley" <KEIT...@PRODIGY.NET> wrote in
<93trhp$ftuc$1...@newssvr06-en0.news.prodigy.com>:

>Hey all. How many of you out there love disaster films? Here are my list
>of favorites (in no particular order):
>

>2. The Towering Inferno - My favorite of the disaster films. I always
>try to envision what it would be like to be one of those party guests
>trapped that high up with nowhere to go. Heights, a huge fire and a tall
>as hell skyscraper don't mix! Perfect!

i admit to liking the Towering Inferno, where you can see OJ Simpson save
TWO lives, but Some others i liked are

1. the Steel Inferno (TV, note this is one of the 2 hours Emergency!
movies),
2. Flight 90, which was about the Air Florida Crash on the Potomac River
3/4. Crash and the Ghost of Flight 401, Which was about the 1972 crash of
Eastren flight 401

Raphael

Jan 16, 2001, 8:35:21 PM1/16/01

recsec <rec...@flash.net> wrote in message

> Isn't Rollercoaster the one that Kiss was in?? I remember it being
> advertised in sensarround (sp?) sound but I have never seen it.
> Billy

I don't know if they were in that one or not, but there was "Kiss Meets the
Phantom of the Park", which was set in an Amusement Park. Lotsa really
great acting in that one <G>...but it was fun.

Erin ">

joseph manfredi

Jan 18, 2001, 1:51:22 AM1/18/01

Keith W Howley wrote:

> Hey all. How many of you out there love disaster films? Here are my list of
> favorites (in no particular order):
>
> 1. The Poseidon Adventure - Shelly Winters saving Gene Hackman! The 90-foot
> todal wave! Leslie Nielsen in a serious role! :)

How about Pamela Sue Martin?!!! The Poseidon Adventure is easily my
favorite of the disaster flicks.

> 2. The Towering Inferno - My favorite of the disaster films. I always try to
> envision what it would be like to be one of those party guests trapped that
> high up with nowhere to go. Heights, a huge fire and a tall as hell
> skyscraper don't mix! Perfect!

The Towering Inferno is number #2 of my all-time list.

> 3. The entire "Airport" series - George Kennedy acting all macho. Kind of
> laughable. His performance was good in the original, but got worse in ever
> subsequent one. Helen Reddy as the singing nun, in 1975. Lee Grant as a
> drunk in '77 and Jimmy Walker as a pot smoking saxophone player in '79.
> Gotta love 'em!

I very much liked all of them, but Airport and Airport '75 are EASILY
better than the rest of the series afterwards. Airport '75 is a
CLASSIC!

> 4. Earthquake - Ava Garder totally overacts in this, especially in the
> beginning. Charleton Heston gives good performance. The special effects were
> fantastic! The earthquake scene lasted at least 9 minutes! God help L.A. if
> that really happens!

Jammin flick!

> Other runner-ups include: The Day After ( I always get scared seeing this
> one)

I definitely had some bizarre dreams the first couple of nights after
that flick was shown on TV!!

Joseph Manfredi

Jason LeBouef

Jan 20, 2001, 9:56:10 PM1/20/01
In article <93tv5b$6chi$1...@newssvr05-en0.news.prodigy.com>,

"Keith W Howley" <KEIT...@PRODIGY.NET> wrote:
> Wasn't "Rollercoaster" about a maniac planting bombs or something on
roller
> coasters?

Rollercoaster was filmed at King's Dominion and the coaster is Rebel
Yell. You can get this on DVD. One of the "signs you're a coaster
freak" is: You carry a briefcase around PKD.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

doug holverson

Jan 29, 2001, 1:58:37 PM1/29/01

> From: "Tank" <alr...@hotmail.com>
> Newsgroups: alt.culture.us.1970s
> Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 09:37:25 -0500
> Subject: Re: 1970's disaster films

Did "Midway" have it?

DGH

The Wanderer

Jan 30, 2001, 1:49:53 AM1/30/01
Yes I stated this the first time this thread came up. It played in my area
in Sensurround.

"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
Aristotle Onassis

"doug holverson" <dhol...@netins.net> wrote in message

ANT The Monarch of Menace

Jan 30, 2001, 3:28:26 AM1/30/01
>Did "Midway" have it?

I distincly remember going to a theatre and watching Midway with Sensurround,
big mother speakers had been temporarily installed and shook the joint sumpthin
fierce.

Remember Kentucky Fired Movie? They had a bit about "Feel Around" where
employees ot the movie house would subject the patrons to whatever was going on
up on the screen.
-ANT