Candy Bars of the 70's

Ricky Nightman Cortez

Nov 30, 2001, 1:15:54 PM11/30/01

My favorite candy bar of the 70's is the "Marathon Bar"

anyone else have a favorite candy bar from that decade?

Ricky

DL

Nov 30, 2001, 2:05:48 PM11/30/01

Smuggler. Damn fine. Anyone else remember that one?

- -

DL

http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm

Anne

Nov 30, 2001, 2:12:36 PM11/30/01
Hundred Thousand Dollar Bar (which they've renamed 100 Grand Bar. MMMMmmm,
I've still got some stashed away from Halloween. Think I'll go treat myself.
Anne :-)
Class of 1980

antipos...@127.0.0.1

Nov 30, 2001, 2:23:45 PM11/30/01

Tru...@webtv.net (Ricky "Nightman" Cortez) wrote:

Reece's Peanut Butter Cups - still around, of course.

-------------------
none of our pockets are filled with gold
nobody's caught the bouquet
there are no dead presidents we can fold
nothing is going our way

--Tom Waits (More Than Rain, 1987)

Crazy Fingers

Nov 30, 2001, 2:33:42 PM11/30/01
Caravelle - the Peter Paul version of the $100,000 bar. They stopped making
that a long time ago.

Summit, by M&M/Mars

Choco-Lite, by M&M/Mars

Forever Yours, which became Milky Way Midnight.

--
United We Stand
Dustin
"Ricky "Nightman" Cortez" <Tru...@webtv.net> wrote in message

WiNK

Nov 30, 2001, 3:32:15 PM11/30/01
Voting for two mentioned already...make that three.

Marathon Bar
Choco-Lite
100,000 Bar

My sister used to love Cherry Mash......I think they still make those. I
make them at Christmas for our holiday candy. Mmmm!

Nadine

DA66

Nov 30, 2001, 5:55:23 PM11/30/01
>Caravelle - the Peter Paul version of the $100,000 bar. They stopped making
>that a long time ago.

I used to love the Caravelle. When I asked some friends if they remembered that
bar, they looked at me with blank stares.

Endy9

Nov 30, 2001, 7:03:10 PM11/30/01
Cadbury had these chocolate covered shortbread squares, packaged like a
candy bar that I loved. Don't make em anymore though :(

--
Dennis/Endy
http://members.home.net/endymion91/index.htm

Claire

Nov 30, 2001, 7:27:20 PM11/30/01
My faves were:

Toffifay (little caramel cups filled w/ chocolate - not really a candy bar
I guess, but found on the candy bar rack)
100,000 Bar
Reggie bar
Whatchamacallit(today's version is a different recipe, with caramel I
believe. Definitely not as good as the original)
Charleston Chew (Chocolate flavor)

My least favorites were the Sky Bar (didn't like all the different fillings)
and the Chunky bar (hated the raisins).

Claire

:
: My favorite candy bar of the 70's is the "Marathon Bar"

:

Chris

Nov 30, 2001, 7:54:15 PM11/30/01
One I remember because of the controversy. I believe it was called Rum Ba
Ba's, it was bit sized sponge cake soaked in rum and covered with chocolate.
It was sold as candy until kids started showing up drunk at school. It was
potent.

I have a question, when exactly did they take the almonds out the 5th Avenue
candy bar.

"Claire" <clairen...@mindspringnospam.com> wrote in message

Dixon Hayes

Nov 30, 2001, 8:33:16 PM11/30/01
Anne wrote:

>Hundred Thousand Dollar Bar (which they've renamed 100 Grand Bar. MMMMmmm,

OOoohhhh, I love that one Anne. I still remember the jingle (which mentioned
the caramel alot).

Other favorites that I can't find anymore (doesn't mean they don't make them,
just that I can't find them...they may or not) included Marathon, Milkshake,
Butternut, and Seven-Up. Others that they do make now included Zero, Payday,
Mars (though they actually make them better now), Snickers, Three Musketeers,
and that perennial southern fave, Goo Goo Cluster.

Dixon
===========
"I still say, five minutes behind the barn!"
--Barney Fife

Classic Hollywood Squares: http://www.classicsquares.com

Chris

Nov 30, 2001, 8:44:32 PM11/30/01
Try www.hometimefavorites.com they sell lots of old time candy.

"Dixon Hayes" <dixon...@aol.comspamless> wrote in message

GusMahler2

Dec 1, 2001, 1:11:40 AM12/1/01
Oh yes thank somone for making me remember Milkshake.. and does anyomne
remember this VERY long and exotically flavored ( Wild cherrym, banana) sort of
taffy like LONG bare called Charleston Chew?

Nanc

Dec 1, 2001, 7:40:37 AM12/1/01
My favorites were the plain Hershey bars and Butterfingers.
Nanc

Ricky "Nightman" Cortez wrote in message
<16953-3C...@storefull-143.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...

Nanc

Dec 1, 2001, 7:42:48 AM12/1/01
I do Gus! Those were made right here in MA. The plain ones were best frozen
and then broken into little pieces-yummy!
Nanc

Chris

Dec 1, 2001, 10:01:05 AM12/1/01
My favorite was always Butternut. Can't remember when they stopped making
them.

"Nanc" <bill...@mediaone.net> wrote in message

Jude

Dec 1, 2001, 10:13:25 AM12/1/01

"Ricky "Nightman" Cortez" <Tru...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> My favorite candy bar of the 70's is the "Marathon Bar"
>
> anyone else have a favorite candy bar from that decade?
>
> Ricky

Gee........I have partaken a lot of candy then.......mostly because I had to
keep building my blood sugar which dropped dramatically low all the time
then. I would have to say it was a tie: Hershey's with Almonds and Mr.
Goodbar.

Trittboy

Dec 1, 2001, 9:43:23 AM12/1/01
My favorite was Bing candy bars. Haven't seen those in years.

DL

Dec 1, 2001, 12:13:07 PM12/1/01
On 01 Dec 2001 01:33:16 GMT, dixon...@aol.comspamless (Dixon Hayes)
wrote:

>Others that they do make now included Zero, Payday,
>Mars (though they actually make them better now), Snickers, Three Musketeers,
>and that perennial southern fave, Goo Goo Cluster.
>
>Dixon

Can't agree with ya on the Mars bar. The old style - flat with just
Nougat, Chocoalte coating, and Almonds was a big favourite for me.
When they changed it and started cholling their nuts, I didn't like it
as well.

Jeff Troutman

Dec 1, 2001, 12:28:12 PM12/1/01
"Ricky "Nightman" Cortez" <Tru...@webtv.net> wrote:

> My favorite candy bar of the 70's is the "Marathon Bar"
>
> anyone else have a favorite candy bar from that decade?

The Seven-Up bar, hands down. I never had to make up my mind about what
kind of candy bar I wanted 'cos it was all there.

I liked Marathon, too. And the Chunky bar that didn't have raisins.

Jeff Troutman

Ron Albanese

Dec 2, 2001, 4:49:54 AM12/2/01
in article 20011201011140...@mb-fn.aol.com, GusMahler2 at
gusma...@aol.com wrote on 11/30/01 10:11 PM:

Two things:

1) What exactly was a Seven-Up bar?

2) How about the almighty Choco-Lite? I have been dying for a scan of a
wrapper. It was put out by Nestle, around 1978. Today, Nestle's Aero bar
(not out in the States) is similar -- and good.

Ron

David Ballarotto

Dec 2, 2001, 9:12:52 AM12/2/01

I loved the strawberry flavored Charleston Chew. They were supposed to be
really good if you put them in the freezer and then ate them, but I remember
being too impatient and just gobbling it up.
Did anyone mention Rally? That was made by Hershey. The thing I remember
most about that one, is a neighbor kid was eating one, and then decided to
spit. And guess whose shirt the spit landed on. I don't think that stain
ever came out.

Jeff Troutman

Dec 2, 2001, 10:29:54 AM12/2/01
"Ron Albanese" <ralb...@webexpert.net> wrote:

> 1) What exactly was a Seven-Up bar?

A candy bar with seven segments, each with a different flavor/filling. I
regret that I've forgotten some of the flavors, and the order they came in.

Jeff Troutman

Roman

Dec 2, 2001, 3:03:53 PM12/2/01

Ricky "Nightman" Cortez wrote:

My favorite candy bar of the 70's is the "Marathon Bar"

anyone else have a favorite candy bar from that decade?

Bit O' Honey was my favorite.

andy749

Dec 2, 2001, 4:26:08 PM12/2/01
I always liked Powerhouse back then...too bad, it is extinct. There were
several more I liked...
Payday has always been a fave.
I liked the Seven Up bars also...I've mentioned it to a few people
before and no one remembers it...kinda weird.

DL

Dec 2, 2001, 4:59:44 PM12/2/01
On Sat, 1 Dec 2001 12:28:12 -0500, "Jeff Troutman"
<yourhe...@starpower.net> wrote:

>I liked Marathon, too. And the Chunky bar that didn't have raisins.
>
>Jeff Troutman

Is till have a great deal of trouble resiting the Mountain Bar.
Either Vanilla or Cherry, but not the Peanut Butter.

Also once in a while I would get a hankering for an Idaho Spud.

LPecucci

Dec 2, 2001, 5:57:30 PM12/2/01
>anyone else have a favorite candy bar from that decade?

someone mentioned the Reggie Bar...my kid's really into 70's - era baseball (&
i dont even have to twist his arm that far!),anyone know if you can still find
these?

have/want:Beatles/Can/Chilton/Costello/Cooper/Dylan/Kinks/Lowe/Mott/Nrbq/Only
Ones/Replacements/Stones/Slade/Thunders/Waits/B.Wilson/Y F Fellows&more!

http://members.aol.com/LPecucci/index.HOMEMIKE.html

NJROB65

Dec 3, 2001, 2:48:28 AM12/3/01

What was a Skybar?

<Jeff Troutman>

Crazy Fingers

Dec 3, 2001, 3:25:09 PM12/3/01
Aero bar was available here, briefly, in about 1992-94. Not anymore, though.
I liked it, too.

--
United We Stand
Dustin

"Ron Albanese" <ralb...@webexpert.net> wrote in message

Ron Albanese

Dec 3, 2001, 7:36:53 PM12/3/01
Someone I know has one from the '70s - in his freezer!

Ron

in article 20011202175730...@mb-cr.aol.com, LPecucci at

GusMahler2

Dec 3, 2001, 6:22:26 PM12/3/01
Guess what I found?

I remember that even before I saw this nifty thread.. I cut out this very neat
article fromt eh NY TIMES about people missing old time candies and how to
find them.. and there are three websites listed that have many many of the old
faves ready to be purchased by the box that we have discussed !!!

califroniacandy.com
economycandy.com
fanniemay.com

I , and my slightly bulging wasitline are too scared to go to these places
yet with credit card in hand... but Ya'll enjoy :)

GusMahler2

Dec 3, 2001, 6:30:33 PM12/3/01
Oh wow.. Thanks I had forgotten about Powerhouse !!! It was IIRC, sort of the
consisency of Reese's Nutrageous but not so peanut buttery and nutty.

Jamie M.

Dec 3, 2001, 10:19:39 PM12/3/01
>Aero bar was available here, briefly, in about 1992-94. Not anymore, though.
>I liked it, too.

I like that one too. It never went away here in Canada. It's been
around since the 60s, maybe even before that. My favourite has always
been a Mars Bar.

Jamie

Mikey

Dec 4, 2001, 12:38:44 AM12/4/01
njr...@aol.com (NJROB65) wrote in

> What was a Skybar?

A Skybar is a chocolate coated bar with four "compartments", each
containing a different flavored filling. These are (not sure about the
order): Marshmallow, Peanut butter, Caramel, and Fudge.

The Skybar is still around; we often get it in those honor-system snack
boxes at the office. Is this just a scaled-down version of the Seven-up
bar?

------------
Mikey
aveeny...@aol.com
(wipe out the Taliban to reply)

Tiny Dancer

Dec 5, 2001, 9:33:21 AM12/5/01
And so the word went out from Ron Albanese <ralb...@webexpert.net>:

>2) How about the almighty Choco-Lite? I have been dying for a scan of a
>wrapper. It was put out by Nestle, around 1978. Today, Nestle's Aero bar
>(not out in the States) is similar -- and good.

Is this the one you mean?

http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/candybars/cndybr10.htm

The scans are small and there doesn't appear to be an alphabetical list
(which would make it much easier to search for a particular wrapper) but
the gallery's still enjoyable.

Cheers,

TD

Sugar, ah, honey, honey
You are my candy girl
And you've got me wanting you
from The Archies' "Sugar Sugar"

For a good time call
http://the70s.cjb.net

The Sesame Street Lyrics and Sounds Archive
http://members.tripod.com/Tiny_Dancer/index.html

Tiny Dancer

Dec 5, 2001, 10:35:52 AM12/5/01
And so the word went out from gusma...@aol.com (GusMahler2):

<snip>

>californiacandy.com

>economycandy.com
>fanniemay.com
>
> I , and my slightly bulging wasitline are too scared to go to these places
>yet with credit card in hand... but Ya'll enjoy :)

Nice links, thanks, Gus! I'm going to add them to the site along with these:

http://www.groovycandies.com/main.htm
http://www.hometownfavorites.com/index.html
http://www.candydirect.com/html/eng/home.shtml
http://www.peppermintpalace.com/

Even if you're not buying (my waistline agrees with yours!) they're fun to look
at and drool over from a safe distance :-)

Cheers,

TD

Who can take a sunrise, sprinkle it with dew
Cover it with choc'late and a miracle or two
The Candy Man, oh the Candy Man can
The Candy Man can 'cause he mixes it with love
And makes the world taste good
from Sammy Davis Jr.'s "The Candy Man"

Tiny Dancer

Dec 5, 2001, 11:18:30 AM12/5/01
And so the word went out from Ron Albanese <ralb...@webexpert.net>:

Re: the Reggie Bar:

>Someone I know has one from the '70s - in his freezer!

Man, that's some willpower! But, why hold onto it for so darn long?!
Waiting for the Ebay chocolate market to improve? :-)

Cheers,

TD

My name is Michael, I've got a nickel
I've got a nickel shiny and new
I'm gonna buy me all kinds of candy
That's what I'm gonna do
from Clint Holmes' "Playground In My Mind"

Crazy Fingers

Dec 5, 2001, 12:12:24 PM12/5/01
Tell me about it. I've gained 40 pounds this year (quit smoking in Feb.) and
gone up 3 waist sizes.

Dustin

"GusMahler2" <gusma...@aol.com> wrote in message

Crazy Fingers

Dec 5, 2001, 1:20:43 PM12/5/01
Forever Yours became Milky Way Dark, which became Milky Way Midnight.

Like a Milky Way with dark, dark chocolate and a white vanilla nougat and
caramel.

Good, but kind of rich after a while.

Dustin

"Trish" <retr...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> > Choco-Lite, by M&M/Mars
> > Forever Yours, which became Milky Way Midnight.
>
> These both sound familiar - what were they like?
> --
> Trish in Atlanta
> http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/atl/r/e/retrotr/retrofun.htm
> ICQ: 73193817 * AOL Instant Messenger: doxietrish *
> Yahoo Instant Messenger: retrotrish

DL

Dec 5, 2001, 3:26:00 PM12/5/01
On Wed, 05 Dec 2001 18:20:43 GMT, "Crazy Fingers" <pete...@smig.net>
wrote:

>Forever Yours became Milky Way Dark, which became Milky Way Midnight.
>
>Like a Milky Way with dark, dark chocolate and a white vanilla nougat and
>caramel.
>
>Good, but kind of rich after a while.
>
>Dustin

Not too rich. We just don't have expensive enough tummies to
appreciate its goodness!

Crazy Fingers

Dec 5, 2001, 3:32:07 PM12/5/01
I don't think it's so much my tummy as my taste buds.

Dustin

"DL" <number1tigerfa...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

Brent Popham

Dec 5, 2001, 4:36:25 PM12/5/01
"WiNK" <elvis...@yahoopride.com> wrote in message news:<o_RN7.674$Fbh.21...@news.frii.net>...
> Voting for two mentioned already...make that three.
>

> My sister used to love Cherry Mash......I think they still make those. I
> make them at Christmas for our holiday candy. Mmmm!
>
> Nadine

Chase (the makers of Cherry Mash) has a Web Site at:
http://www.cherrymash.com

Brent
12-28-61

Jude

Dec 6, 2001, 11:51:34 AM12/6/01

"Tiny Dancer" <ti...@look.ca> wrote in message

> And so the word went out from gusma...@aol.com (GusMahler2):
>
> <snip>
>
> >californiacandy.com
> >economycandy.com
> >fanniemay.com
> >
> > I , and my slightly bulging wasitline are too scared to go to these
places
> >yet with credit card in hand... but Ya'll enjoy :)
>
> Nice links, thanks, Gus! I'm going to add them to the site along with
these:

> http://www.groovycandies.com/main.htm
> http://www.hometownfavorites.com/index.html
> http://www.candydirect.com/html/eng/home.shtml
> http://www.peppermintpalace.com/

don't forget www.americancandycompany.com

Ricky Nightman Cortez

Dec 6, 2001, 2:49:44 PM12/6/01

Carville!

Ricky

DL

Dec 6, 2001, 5:36:53 PM12/6/01
On Thu, 6 Dec 2001 13:49:44 -0600 (CST), Tru...@webtv.net (Ricky
"Nightman" Cortez) wrote:

>Carville!
>
>Ricky

James? Yuck, He doesn't look too tasty.

Tiny Dancer

Dec 6, 2001, 7:16:23 PM12/6/01
And so the word went out from "Jude" <jhc86SP...@att.net>:

>don't forget www.americancandycompany.com

That gives me a "Coming Soon" message, Jude, did you mean this one?

http://www.americancandy.com/

It leads to Bob's Candies which appear to specialize in hard candies
and candy canes. Are these from the '70s? Don't know the name myself.

Cheers,

TD

Sugar, ah, honey, honey
You are my candy girl
And you've got me wanting you
from The Archies' "Sugar Sugar"

For a good time call

Laura Sands

Dec 7, 2001, 4:28:08 AM12/7/01
I would buy this!! Ask him seriously to auction on ebay! Go Yankees!
Next year anyway...
I visited http://www.candystore.com on a lark on got a very cool site
full of these candies!!

Jude

Dec 7, 2001, 12:11:09 PM12/7/01

> And so the word went out from "Jude" <jhc86SP...@att.net>:
>
> >don't forget www.americancandycompany.com
>
> That gives me a "Coming Soon" message, Jude, did you mean this one?
>
> http://www.americancandy.com/
>
> It leads to Bob's Candies which appear to specialize in hard candies
> and candy canes. Are these from the '70s? Don't know the name myself.

No the company I mean is called The American Candy Company. Maybe the
website was taken down for an overhaul?

Anybody remember Fizzies?? :D

Crazy Fingers

Dec 7, 2001, 12:33:28 PM12/7/01
They reintroduced those a year or two ago - I bought some at either Wal-Mart
or K-mart. It was the first time I had tried them. They weren't very good.

--
United We Stand
Dustin

"Jude" <jhc86SP...@att.net> wrote in message

DL

Dec 7, 2001, 3:35:12 PM12/7/01
On Fri, 07 Dec 2001 17:11:09 GMT, "Jude" <jhc86SP...@att.net>
wrote:

>No the company I mean is called The American Candy Company. Maybe the
>website was taken down for an overhaul?
>
>Anybody remember Fizzies?? :D

Yeah, the Deltas had a truckload of them delivered to the swimming
pool at the big swim meet.

Jude

Dec 7, 2001, 8:26:47 PM12/7/01

"Crazy Fingers" <pete...@smig.net> wrote in message

> They reintroduced those a year or two ago - I bought some at either
Wal-Mart
> or K-mart. It was the first time I had tried them. They weren't very good.

Oh well, to each his own. I liked them a lot.....mainly because they were a
great way to liven up that same ole water. :)

Tiny Dancer

Dec 7, 2001, 10:33:01 PM12/7/01
And so the word went out from blin...@hotmail.com (Laura Sands):

>I visited http://www.candystore.com on a lark on got a very cool site
>full of these candies!!

Yeah, that's another entrance for CandyDirect.com, they're on the site
already. They have a nice Memory Lane Box here:

http://www.candydirect.com/html/eng/366175-AA.shtml

And any place that'll sell me a case of Charleston Chews:

http://www.candydirect.com/html/eng/242354-AA.shtml

Or a case of Sugar Daddys:

http://www.candydirect.com/html/eng/242485-AA.shtml

For 20 bucks is okay with me! :-) Mmmmm ....

Cheers,

TD

Even after all these years
I miss you when you're not here