70s documentary follow-up survey

Tom

Mar 7, 2001, 7:22:50 PM3/7/01

I caught the Learning Channel 70s documentary last night. It was entertaining,
though a bit shallow. Nevertheless, it got me to thinking about new technologies.
I thought I'd ask everyone, since we seem to like doing surveys. So here
goes:

1. Do you remember watching TV in the days before remote controls? What
do you remember about the experience?

2. Was there a time when the only record player in the house (such as a
"victrola") was in the living room? If so, do you remember when you got your
first stereo? When?

2. What was the first video game you remember playing?

3. When did you first start using the following items:

a. a portable tape or 8-track player
b. a phone answering machine
c. a videotape recorder
d. a "Walkman" type tape player

mike c

Mar 7, 2001, 9:27:18 PM3/7/01
> 1. Do you remember watching TV in the days before remote controls? What
> do you remember about the experience?

i didn't get a remote control tv until the 80's. i remember the early remote
controls in the 70's that made sort of a ringing click when you pushed the
buttons and the tv would respond to the sound. my aunt had one, i remember
she used to be able to rattle her bracelet to get the tv to turn on or off.
sometimes a passing truck out on the street would have the same effect.

> 2. Was there a time when the only record player in the house (such as a
> "victrola") was in the living room? If so, do you remember when you got
your
> first stereo? When?

my family had a hi-fi in the living room with a tube amp and a cool looking
turn table. my grandma had the big hi-fi system that came in a cabinet and
you could stack a bunch of LPs on the turntable and it would drop a new one
down everytime one finished playing. i had a little plastic contraption
called a Close-n-Play. you put in a 45rpm record, close it and it would play
the record. sound quality was crap even compared to the standards back then.

> 2. What was the first video game you remember playing?

at home it was definitely pong. the first arcade game i played was probably
space invaders.

> 3. When did you first start using the following items:
>
> a. a portable tape or 8-track player

early to mid 70s

> b. a phone answering machine

never. now i have voice mail.

> c. a videotape recorder

the 80's

> d. a "Walkman" type tape player

probably the 80's

The Wanderer

Mar 7, 2001, 11:06:01 PM3/7/01
"Tom " <antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

> 1. Do you remember watching TV in the days before remote controls? What
> do you remember about the experience?

I remember back around 1961 (John Kennedy was President) and in our building
everybody was aunt so and so or uncle what's his name. We would run from
apartment to apartment and the doors were never really locked, and you were
almost always welcome. There was a childless couple downstairs in our
building, the husband of which was a retired seamen who had developed cancer
of the larynx. Well, he had his voice box removed so in an effort to cheer
him up his wife bought him a remote control TV. He used to let us play with
it. I was 9 at the time and coming out of the '50s we thought it was science
fiction/twilight zone time. Until he told us that it was the clicking sound
that made it change channels or turn on and off. After being economically
deprived (poor as piss) throughout the '80s (and then dealing with the
addiction thing) I didn't get a TV (or anything else) with a remote control
until the end of '91.

> 2. Was there a time when the only record player in the house (such as a
> "victrola") was in the living room? If so, do you remember when you got
your
> first stereo? When?

From the time I was twelve I had a Hi-Fi in the bedroom that I shared with
my brother ('63). I got it as a gift from my mother when she got a new one
that year. I later got a Stereo with detachable speakers in '65 when I was
14. When I was asked what I wanted for Christmas that year I told them that
I didn't want anything else but that. It cost $89.99, and at that time that
was a LOT of money. But they bought it for me partly because I had been a
good kid (if they only knew what was ahead) and had been accepted to the #1
Catholic High School in Brooklyn (and one of the top in the city).

> 2. What was the first video game you remember playing?

Hate video games. Always have. I think they turn kids into vidiots. I did
try pong when a friend of mine got it as a wedding present in '73. I though
it was boring.

> 3. When did you first start using the following items:
>
> a. a portable tape or 8-track player

Got a portable cassette player/ FM mono radio (the only kind they made) for
my birthday in '69. But I had a portable record player in '65 and a portable
reel to reel tape player/ recorder in '63.

> b. a phone answering machine

Bought my first one in '93.

> c. a videotape recorder

Bought my first one in '93 right after I started working at the hospital.

> d. a "Walkman" type tape player

Bought my first one in '81 and it was just a radio.

>--
Buddy
from Brooklyn
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/5591/

"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
Aristotle Onassis

rach

Mar 7, 2001, 11:10:58 PM3/7/01

> 1. Do you remember watching TV in the days before remote controls? What
> do you remember about the experience?

Until I was 5, we had a 19 inch black and white tv. When my grandmother
died, we got her HUGE TV which was more like a piece of furniture. In 1978,
we got an electrohome tv with a sort of remote... it was a long box with two
rows of buttons. You had to flip the toggle switch to go between the two
rows. It was kept on top of the tv (my parents werent into laziness, you had
to get off your ass to use the remote). I think the real remote arrived in
the nid 80s. This reminds me of a funny remote story... a few years ago, my
boyfriend at the time and his room mate had words and the room mate moved
out one weekend when we were away... lock, stock and leather couch. The only
thing in the house proper was the TV and his stuff in his room. He scared up
some lawn furniture and that was that for the rest of the school year. I
remember him, sitting on a 70s style chaise lounge, about a metre away from
the tv and looking around him in a huff that culminated with "OK WHERE IN
THE *HELL* IS THE REMOTE???" it was too funny.

> 2. Was there a time when the only record player in the house (such as a
> "victrola") was in the living room? If so, do you remember when you got
your
> first stereo? When?

My dad had built a stereo unit with a radio and turn table. The console
itself was about 6 feet long with a lid that lifted up and there was the
stereo, built in. It looked more like a side table...It played some wicked
loud Duran Duran and Culture Club until the arrival of the real stereo in
the mid 80s

> 2. What was the first video game you remember playing?

space invaders or some crazy game on my friends Commedore 64... some guy
that was looking in this industrial type set up with elevators and crap. We
never did figure it out.

> 3. When did you first start using the following items:
>
> a. a portable tape or 8-track player

LOL never... too young

> b. a phone answering machine

19

> c. a videotape recorder

14

> d. a "Walkman" type tape player

15

Nigel McKenzie

Mar 8, 2001, 3:45:02 AM3/8/01
>1. Do you remember watching TV in the days before remote controls? What
>do you remember about the experience?
I think it was about '63, before that you didn't need a remote control,
because there was only one channel.

>2. Was there a time when the only record player in the house (such as a
>"victrola") was in the living room? If so, do you remember when you got your
>first stereo? When?

'72. I had a holiday job in a Hi-Fi shop.

>2. What was the first video game you remember playing?

Pong.

>3. When did you first start using the following items:
>
>a. a portable tape or 8-track player

'70

>b. a phone answering machine

Never owned one of the accursed things.

>c. a videotape recorder
'79. Betamax

>d. a "Walkman" type tape player

Not until about '85.

Thinking about it the first time I had a video cassette recorder in the
house, was a Philips 1500, which I borrowed from the shop in '71. At the
same time, I also had a Sony monochrome reel-to-reel video recorder and
a Uher audio cassette recorder, that was smaller than the early
Walkmans.

--
Nigel McKenzie

Nigel McKenzie

Mar 8, 2001, 4:00:44 AM3/8/01

>1. Do you remember watching TV in the days before remote controls? What
>do you remember about the experience?

I don't know if it's spread to the States, but there has been a minor
campaign in the UK to give some modern items their own names, instead of
clumsy descriptions.

For example the "television remote control".

This is now to be called the Zapper. If you must, the other remotes can
be "Dweezil" and "Moon Unit".

--
Nigel McKenzie

recsec

Mar 8, 2001, 6:00:10 AM3/8/01

> 1. Do you remember watching TV in the days before remote controls? What
> do you remember about the experience?

*I* was the remote control. I'd be in my room sitting in my bean bag chair &
hear my Dad yell from the living room "Hey Bo!!" (or Jughead. He called me
both of those) I'd go in there & he'd say "change the channel." Used to piss
the hell out of me. My TV was a 9 inch b/w olive green panasonic one. I
eventually broke the channel knob & had to use pliers. Also my pong game
blew it out & had to get it repaired. I got it in 73. Still got it too. The
one thing I hated about TV period back then was that on Sunday nights at
about midnight there was not one damn channel still on. I *HATED* the fact
that TV would tell me when to go to bed. So I'd just crawl in bed with my
transistor radio, or a few years later my 3 channell Radio Shack
walkie-talkie. I'd talk to the truckers out on Interstate 10 which was just
down the road from us.

> 2. Was there a time when the only record player in the house (such as a
> "victrola") was in the living room? If so, do you remember when you got
your
> first stereo? When?

We had a hi-fi from Sears which I have in my bedroom. It's an all wood
cabinet. Still works too. Including the turntable. We've (I've) had it for
decades.

> 2. What was the first video game you remember playing?

I had a pong when they first came out. I know I also use to play a car
racing game at a grocery store but am not sure if it was before or after
pong. But in what like 78 I was introduced to the Grand Daddy of ALL video
games, Space Invaders!!! There was a pool hall down the street from me & I
spent hours in there playing it.

> 3. When did you first start using the following items:

> a. a portable tape or 8-track player - got my first portable cassette
recorder in about 74. First 8-track would be around 77.

> b. a phone answering machine - O only about 10 years ago.
> c. a videotape recorder - 85
> d. a "Walkman" type tape player - 86
Billy

Dixon Hayes

Mar 8, 2001, 8:19:40 AM3/8/01
Sorry, I didn't get Tom's original message...

>>1. Do you remember watching TV in the days before remote controls? What
>>do you remember about the experience?

I remember the family having a Packard Bell console with 12 channels, and the
kids (not me) fighting over the hand tuner until it broke off. So for awhile
we actually had to change the channels by picking up the pliers sitting on top
of the TV, until "the man" could come and fix it. Later we had push-button
channel changing but still no remote control.

>>2. Was there a time when the only record player in the house (such as a
>>"victrola") was in the living room? If so, do you remember when you got your
>>first stereo? When?

Yes, we had an RCA hi-fi that was in the living room. Mom was always using it
to play Carpenters' songs when I came home...

The first individual record player in the house belonged to my sister, circa
1972. I never got one myself until 1983...

>>2. What was the first video game you remember playing?

Pong, followed by that little deal where you shoot down all the planes,
choppers and blimps. First arcade game was "Space Invaders."

>>3. When did you first start using the following items:
>>a. a portable tape or 8-track player

When I was 9 I had a GE model and I used it to just record my voice and funny
things.

>>b. a phone answering machine

In the mid 1980s when I got married.

>>c. a videotape recorder

Early 1980s; they were very rare back then. Now I actually have two...

>>d. a "Walkman" type tape player

1984; used it to listen to "Born in the U.S.A." by Bruce Springsteen.

Dixon

=============
"Now let's get THAT vehicle OUTTA here!!"
--Barney Fife

Remember THE Hollywood Squares...the original and the best
http://www.geocities.com/screenjockey/classicsquares.html

LizzieZ

Mar 8, 2001, 12:46:14 PM3/8/01
>Sorry, I didn't get Tom's original message...

Neither did I -- maybe it was an AOL glitch?

>>>1. Do you remember watching TV in the days before remote controls? What
>>>do you remember about the experience?

I'm pretty sure our big family tv was an RCA. I don't remember all that much,
but I do remember several times trying to look inside the back of the tv (where
I could see a little orange light glowing) to see if that's where Mr. Rogers'
trolley went when it rode into the tunnel.

>>>2. Was there a time when the only record player in the house (such as a
>>>"victrola") was in the living room? If so, do you remember when you got
>your
>>>first stereo? When?

My dad was really wired back then -- I know that he had a huge stereo setup
down in the basement (record player, tuning amp, reel-to-reel, cassette player)
but had fed the wires up to the living room where there were speakers set up.
I also had a small record player in my bedroom (must have gotten it very
young), which I remember as being made of blue plastic.

>>>2. What was the first video game you remember playing?

Same as most of you, Pong. We got an Odyssey 3 (?) set pretty early on, but
the most exciting was, by far, the Atari 2600 console. No clue what year we
got that (or when it came out).

>>>3. When did you first start using the following items:
>>>a. a portable tape or 8-track player

Again, unfortunately I don't have any way of marking when this was, but I know
it had to be pretty early now that I think of it -- I recently came across a
tape of me reading to my (then) little sister, so that had to be early 70s --
is that possible?? Maybe it wasn't from a portable player, though... We
didn't have a portable 8-track; that lived in the den. But I know I got my
first boom box for my 14th birthday (1982).

>>>b. a phone answering machine

Another stumper. I'm PRETTY sure we must have had one while I was still living
at home, but I can only remember that I got one when I went to college (1986).
Interesting side note, I got rid of the answering machine after the deadly heat
wave of 1995, when over 700 people died here in Chicago. Why did this affect
the answering machine? Because the power surges from the heat wave fried it!
From that moment on, it was voicemail all the way. (In my business, I can't
afford not to have some sort of answering machine.)

>>>c. a videotape recorder

Probably early 80s here too. Ours was a big honkin' Quasar top-loading model,
with a remote control on a cord that plugged into it!

>>>d. a "Walkman" type tape player

Must've been sometime during high school, so mid-80s sometime.

Very interesting questions!
Liz

azure

Mar 8, 2001, 7:53:28 PM3/8/01

> 1. Do you remember watching TV in the days before remote controls? What
> do you remember about the experience?

yes!-2-13, could only get12 if you turned the knob just right between 12 and
13!-relive the remoteless times whenever i lose our remote

> 2. Was there a time when the only record player in the house (such as a
> "victrola") was in the living room? If so, do you remember when you got
your
> first stereo? When?

my family was never too musical-got my first stereo in the 3rd grade

> 2. What was the first video game you remember playing?

tele-pong at the pizza place when i was probably 3!

> 3. When did you first start using the following items:
>

> a. a portable tape or 8-track player-1st grade
> b. a phone answering machine-25
> c. a videotape recorder-20
> d. a "Walkman" type tape player -jr. high or freshman year
>

> azure

Jeff Troutman

Mar 9, 2001, 9:00:18 PM3/9/01
"Tom " <antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> I caught the Learning Channel 70s documentary last night. It was
entertaining,
> though a bit shallow. Nevertheless, it got me to thinking about new
technologies.
> I thought I'd ask everyone, since we seem to like doing surveys. So here
> goes:
>
> 1. Do you remember watching TV in the days before remote controls? What
> do you remember about the experience?

Getting up to change the channels. Also, struggling to adjust the antenna
so I could get certain uhf stations.

> 2. Was there a time when the only record player in the house (such as a
> "victrola") was in the living room? If so, do you remember when you got
your
> first stereo? When?

Yes. I got my first stereo when I was about 12.

> 2. What was the first video game you remember playing?

Pong.

> 3. When did you first start using the following items:
>
> a. a portable tape or 8-track player

About four years before I got the stereo, my sister and I got tape players.
I used to tape Monkees and Archies songs off the TV. A junior Napsterite, I
was.

> b. a phone answering machine

Sometime in the mid-90s.

> c. a videotape recorder
> d. a "Walkman" type tape player

Never had either one of these.

Jeff Troutman

redace

Mar 9, 2001, 9:38:42 PM3/9/01

Tom wrote in message <3aa6...@news.newsfeeds.com>...

>I caught the Learning Channel 70s documentary last night. It was
entertaining,
>though a bit shallow. Nevertheless, it got me to thinking about new
technologies.
>I thought I'd ask everyone, since we seem to like doing surveys. So
here
>goes:
>
>1. Do you remember watching TV in the days before remote controls?
What
>do you remember about the experience?

I remember having to get up and change the channel for my brother! I
also remember my grandfather having a Magnavox console w/stereo TV (this
was in 1973, by the way) and it came with a remote. All it did was
change the channel. I believe it was a sound activated remote.
Sometimes we didn't even need the remote to change the channel, just
stomp your foot and the channel would change! lol

>2. Was there a time when the only record player in the house (such as
>"victrola") was in the living room? If so, do you remember when you got
your
>first stereo? When?

Well let me think...I believe that would have been about 9 years ago
when my husband (then my fiancee) moved in and brought one with him!
Otherwise, I never had one!

>2. What was the first video game you remember playing?

In an arcade, Space Invaders. On a home unit, Pong.

>3. When did you first start using the following items:
>
>a. a portable tape or 8-track player

I had a small tape player (cassette) that my mom used to record her
college lessons. It was pretty basic.

>b. a phone answering machine

My mom got one in 1985, I think.

>c. a videotape recorder
My mom bought one in 1983. Real state of the art...the remote had a 20
foot wire! lol

>d. a "Walkman" type tape player

I bought one after I moved to NYC in 1987. Since I didn't have a
stereo, it was the next best thing.

Lori =^.^=

remus

Mar 11, 2001, 4:35:23 PM3/11/01

> For example the "television remote control".
>
> This is now to be called the Zapper. If you must, the other remotes can
> be "Dweezil" and "Moon Unit".

Some people call it the clicker, as in "Did you lose the clicker again?"

remus

Mar 11, 2001, 4:53:05 PM3/11/01
"Tom " <antipos...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

> 1. Do you remember watching TV in the days before remote controls? What

> do you remember about the experience?

The color TV I got in junior high in 1983 had no remote and lived a long
life. It followed me to college and held out until I think 1996. I used the
VCR or cable remote instead. With the TV always sett to channel 3 it didn't
matter except volume.

> 2. Was there a time when the only record player in the house (such as a
> "victrola") was in the living room? If so, do you remember when you got
your
> first stereo? When?

I remember this portable record player that folded up and fit into a
suitcase. You had to put felt on the turntable to make it play properly.

> 2. What was the first video game you remember playing?

Galaga at the local supermarket c. 1980. I don't ever remember seeing one in
the 1970s. The first _computer_ game I ever played was tic-tac-toe on a
mainframe at computer camp in maybe '79. The program would type everything
on old green-and-white paper and say "Give that man a cigar!" when you would
win.

> 3. When did you first start using the following items:
>
> a. a portable tape or 8-track player

A few family cars had 8-track, but we never had a household unit. My sister
still has her old reel-to-reel. I got one of these mono radio-tape combo
portables as a Christmas present in the early 80s.

> b. a phone answering machine

We had a home office, so we had a real-live Dictaphone in the living room c.
1977. It wasn't digital like today's models and had no way to check
messaghes, but it was better made.

> c. a videotape recorder

1985. We were the last people on Earth to get one. Drove me nuts.

> d. a "Walkman" type tape player

We had a portable handheld tape recorder in the 1970s for dictation that
used cassettes. I reemember it being expensive and fragile.

Nanc

Mar 12, 2001, 8:57:28 AM3/12/01

>> 1. Do you remember watching TV in the days before remote controls? What
>> do you remember about the experience?

Yes I remember all the way until I was in my 20's. We had the old black and
white TV with the tubes in the back. NO cable back then. Reception was
"bunny ears" sometimes with foil stuck on the ends.

>> 2. Was there a time when the only record player in the house (such as a
>> "victrola") was in the living room? If so, do you remember when you got
>your
>> first stereo? When?

One of my sisters had one of those little record players that closed with a
clasp. I remember the box made especially for the 45's
Later my oldest sister got a stereo for graduation and only let the rest of
us use it if we bribed her!

>> 2. What was the first video game you remember playing?

Pac Man

>> 3. When did you first start using the following items:
>>

>> a. a portable tape or 8-track player- my first boyfriend had one in his
car and we play Peter Frampton over and over

>> b. a phone answering machine- around '87

>> c. a videotape recorder- '92 the year my baby was born : )

>> d. a "Walkman" type tape player - in the mid- 80's

Lenny Smith

Mar 12, 2001, 6:31:19 PM3/12/01

Tom wrote in message <3aa6...@news.newsfeeds.com>...

>I caught the Learning Channel 70s documentary last night. It was
entertaining,
>though a bit shallow. Nevertheless, it got me to thinking about new
technologies.
>I thought I'd ask everyone, since we seem to like doing surveys. So here
>goes:
>
>1. Do you remember watching TV in the days before remote controls? What
>do you remember about the experience?

Layin' out on the floor watchin' the tube with my head propped up on my
hands, and jumpin' to my feet to change the channel. I nearly went nuts the
night they broadcast the Bobby Riggs/Billie Jean King "Battle of the Sexes"
opposite the first TV showing of Bonnie and Clyde. Flipped back and forth
till Billie Jean polished him off.

>2. Was there a time when the only record player in the house (such as a
>"victrola") was in the living room?

Yep.

>If so, do you remember when you got your
>first stereo? When?

1973 (I was 13). It was a Zenith compact deal, but it opened up a whole new
world of crankin' tunes in the privacy of my own bedroom. (Well, actually,
as a younger kid I had one of those flip top box type record players kids
had to chew up their first few 45's with. Blows my mind to think that kids
today never have that pleasure... It's straight to CD with the lil'
bastards, LOL).

>2. What was the first video game you remember playing?

Pong... in an arcade, no less. Man, today's kids would LAUGH their butts
off if ya stuck a Pong machine in an arcade today, unless you could sell 'em
on it as a "Retro" kick.

>3. When did you first start using the following items:
>
>a. a portable tape or 8-track player

Never had an 8 track. Did have a cheap portable tape recorder (good gawd, I
think my first one was actually reel to reel!). Maybe 10 years old?

>b. a phone answering machine

Mmmm... not till '78...

>c. a videotape recorder

'78 or so... My folks got a Beta (don't laugh; I STILL maintain both Beta
AND VHS). Didn't own my own VCR till the late '80's or so, though--even
though I bought my first video ("The Forbidden Zone"--Tattoo from Fantasy
Island as the King of the 6th Dimension!) in '84 or '85 (yes, in Beta, LOL).

>d. a "Walkman" type tape player

'79, I think.

Lenny

Tiny Dancer

Mar 15, 2001, 1:08:46 AM3/15/01
And so the word went out from "Lenny Smith" <lps...@gwi.net>:

After Tom <antipos...@127.0.0.1> popped the questions in yet another
cool survey!:

>>1. Do you remember watching TV in the days before remote controls?
>>What do you remember about the experience?
>
>Layin' out on the floor watchin' the tube with my head propped up on my
>hands, and jumpin' to my feet to change the channel. I nearly went nuts the
>night they broadcast the Bobby Riggs/Billie Jean King "Battle of the Sexes"
>opposite the first TV showing of Bonnie and Clyde. Flipped back and forth
>till Billie Jean polished him off.

Nice memory there, Lenny! I don't remember watching the Riggs/King match
at all, just reading about it. *I* was the remote for my family, as others have noted,
and we used pliers to change channels for one of the TVs we owned over the
years (as others did). I was usually found on my tummy inches from the screen
(which is why I wear glasses apparently, floor potatoes rule!) and the TV itself
(whatever it was, sorry, we went through dozens, can't name them all) seemed
literally larger than life. I never looked for people living behind the set, I knew
they were "out there", somewhere else, you know? A magical place of happy,
singing, smiling people who loved me *sniff* I had a really good childhood,
really I did, mister therapist! ;-)

>>2. Was there a time when the only record player in the house (such as a
>>"victrola") was in the living room?
>
>Yep.

Nope for me. Every livingroom we lived in had a TV. Sometimes it was just
a kitchen and a bedroom but the kitchen had a TV, dammit! :-) I literally grew
up with TV, our music was just in the car for a loooong time.

>>If so, do you remember when you got your first stereo? When?
>
>1973 (I was 13). It was a Zenith compact deal, but it opened up a whole new
>world of crankin' tunes in the privacy of my own bedroom. (Well, actually, as
>a younger kid I had one of those flip top box type record players kids had to
>chew up their first few 45's with. Blows my mind to think that kids today never
>have that pleasure... It's straight to CD with the lil' bastards, LOL).

Why those kids today ... why I oughta .. get me my cane, sonny! :-) Burns my
fuse too, Lenny, all kids should have to care about their music enough to take
the time to figure out how to balance a quarter *just so* on the needle arm so
they can listen to it without the quarter dropping off. Should it be a nickel? Will
a penny work? How long before the dime drops off? Ya hafta sweat for your
tuneage, man ;-)

Seriously though, our first stereo purchase was a floor model plastic Panasonic
jobie for my room around '75 . It was black and white, had a record player, AM
radio, 2 *big* speakers and a slot for headphones, I was like a pig in you-know!
Ah yes, many an hour spent with those massives headphones blocking out the
world as Elton and I sang in a world of our own .... ahhhh ... really, it was a good
childhood! ;-)

>>2. What was the first video game you remember playing?
>
>Pong... in an arcade, no less. Man, today's kids would LAUGH their butts
>off if ya stuck a Pong machine in an arcade today, unless you could sell 'em
>on it as a "Retro" kick.

Naa, not even a Retro tag would help Pong, it is LAME by today's standards!
My first game as well, though, but at home. We had one of the first Pongs on
our block in St. John's, we were wh-ay cool!

>>3. When did you first start using the following items:
>>
>>a. a portable tape or 8-track player
>
>Never had an 8 track. Did have a cheap portable tape recorder (good gawd,
>I think my first one was actually reel to reel!). Maybe 10 years old?

How old are you, Lenny?! ;-) I had a portable 8-track/AM radio around '77,
I used to hang in on my bicycle handlebars, really dumbass idea now that
I think about it!

>>b. a phone answering machine
>
>Mmmm... not till '78...

We had a brief fling with an answering machine in the late '70s. It didn't
last long as both my parents hated it with a passion, their friends were
too long-winded and kept getting cut off!

>>c. a videotape recorder
>
>'78 or so... My folks got a Beta (don't laugh; I STILL maintain both Beta
>AND VHS).

Ummm, Lenny, have you met Roger? ;-)

>Didn't own my own VCR till the late '80's or so, though--even though I bought
>my first video ("The Forbidden Zone"--Tattoo from Fantasy Island as the King
>of the 6th Dimension!) in '84 or '85 (yes, in Beta, LOL).

Our first one was a Beta, must have been around '85, the only tape I remember
buying was Marilyn Monroe's "Bus Stop". I was right ticked when we bought
a VHS and I couldn't play it anymore :-P Now I have about 300 VHS tapes and
a ton of Marilyn's flicks, yikes, somebody stop me!

>>d. a "Walkman" type tape player
>
>'79, I think.

Must have been about '81 for me. I remember bopping around England and
listening to The Specials' "Ghost Town" and UB40's "One In Ten" on the radio
that magical summer after I lost 50 pounds on the Scarsdale Diet and was really
drop-dead-knock-'em-in-the-aisles gorgeous in my skin-tight Tiger Dress with
my whole life ahead of me on a yellow brick road of ... oh, sorry, I'm rambling ;-)

Cheers,

TD

Say that you remember
Remember all those good old Four Tops songs
Won't somebody tell me
Where have all the good times gone
from Elton John's "Where Have All the Good Times Gone"

For a good time call
http://members.nbci.com/oroborus12/70s.html

Tiny Dancer's X-Files Episode Guide
http://www.insanity.com.au/td/

The Sesame Street Lyrics and Sounds Archive
http://i.am/tinyd

recsec

Mar 15, 2001, 4:39:06 AM3/15/01

"Tiny Dancer" <ti...@idirect.com> wrote in message

I was usually found on my tummy inches from the screen
> (which is why I wear glasses apparently, floor potatoes rule!)

When I was a little kid & would get that close to the tube my Grandmother
would ALWAYS say "you need to be at least 6 feet away from the screen or
else you'll hurt your eyes." She is 91 years old & STILL says it!!! And it's
cool that she does!!!! But back then tho I just KNEW she had no idea what
she was talking about. After all SHE watched TV that far back & STILL wore
glasses. So I just figured that when you got old you had to get glasses.
That there was no way around it. I also fully believed that the way a man
grew a beard was to drink beer.
Billy

Francis McGill

Mar 15, 2001, 1:45:20 PM3/15/01
Heh, I'm picturing a little 13-year-old Billy with a beer.

"Whatcha doing there, son?"
"Getting ready to start shaving."

On the TV, I had always heard it was gamma radiation that was
dangerous and that's why six feet back.

recsec (rec...@flash.net) wrote:

: "Tiny Dancer" <ti...@idirect.com> wrote in message
: news:3ab04e19...@news.idirect.com...

* *
* Francis McGill *
* a052...@bc.seflin.org *
* "Glory to God in the Highest" *
* *

Lenny Smith

Mar 15, 2001, 2:38:50 PM3/15/01

Francis McGill wrote in message <98r2k0$9...@nntp.seflin.org>...

>Heh, I'm picturing a little 13-year-old Billy with a beer.
>
>"Whatcha doing there, son?"
>"Getting ready to start shaving."
>
>On the TV, I had always heard it was gamma radiation that was
>dangerous and that's why six feet back.

That's the way I heard it too, Francis! Thanks for the "flashback," LOL.

Lenny