Forgotten cereals

RetroTrish

Oct 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/7/00
PS - Also, what was the cereal with the dehydrated blueberries? It was
another one I liked a lot in the 1970s.

Trish Trish in Atlanta
ICQ # 73193807 AOL Instant Messenger: DoxieTrish
Retrotown Maillist:
http://www.topica.com/lists/Retrotown/prefs/info.html
RetroTrish's Retro Treasures - Vintage Children's Books
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/retrotrish/
RetroTrish Radio - an eclectic mix of 1960s, '70s, '80s, & more
http://radio.sonicnet.com/mymusiclook.asp?name=retrotrish

David Ballarotto

Oct 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/7/00
They did begin to make Quisp again a year or so ago. Also, if you just want
the cereal, but not the actual blue box with Quisp on it, there's a Quaker
bag cereal that I think actually is Quisp under a different name.
You know what, these days you can probably order Quisp off the web
somewhere!

azure

Oct 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/7/00
i was totally devasted when they did away w/ pink panther flakes

azure

Teu...@webtv.net

Oct 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/7/00
The only cereals I can recall are Blueberry Morning and the older
Boo-Berry cereal... but these arent the right ones?

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger'
- Friedrick Nietzsche

Oil Impressionist

Oct 8, 2000, 2:42:50 AM10/8/00
In article <stvqa49...@corp.supernews.com>,

"azure" <kinc...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> i was totally devasted when they did away w/ pink panther flakes
>
> azure

Awwwwwww . . .

Nobody but me seems to recall Pink Elephants. I LOVED those things!!
I remember them from about '68 or '69 in Canada. They tasted like
Lucky Charms, as though the marshmallow taste was mixed in with the
O's.

Dawna

--
~~A deadly secret lies within LAURA'S LEGACY, available @ Amazon.com
Our web site: http://scribes.virtualave.net/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Teu...@webtv.net

Oct 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/8/00
How about Nabisco Oo-bop-a-roos blueberry cereal... with the blue
kangaroo mascot (circa 1974)? Is this it?

Teu...@webtv.net

Oct 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/8/00
Trish,

You can buy Quisp from www.quisp.com

Raphael

Oct 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/8/00
<Teu...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> How about Nabisco Oo-bop-a-roos blueberry cereal... with the blue
> kangaroo mascot (circa 1974)? Is this it?

Which one had the "Get along little blueberry critters" ad? I seem to
recall it was a cowboy sorta theme....

Erin ">

andy749

Oct 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/8/00
I can remember one called OKs...this may have been defunct by the
70s...I think it was sorta like Cheerios but had Ks too.
I know there was a Pink Panther cereal once...that probably was in the
70s.

Dixon Hayes

Oct 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/8/00
Personally I always liked the following:

King Vitaman
Cap'n Crunch (especially the crunchberries)
Quisp (my sister preferred Quake)
Frosty-O's (basically Frosted Cheerios for you young 'uns)
Honeycombs
Count Chocula
Boo-Berry
Lucky Charms
Cocoa Puffs
Sugar Pops
Apple Jacks
Super Sugar Crisp (back when they still called it that)

Anyone remember any of the Cap'n Crunch experiments, like vanilla and peanut
butter flavoring??

Dixon
===========
"How I VOTE, brother, is my business...how'd you vote, Ange?"
--Barney Fife

Remember THE Hollywood Squares...the original and the best
http://www.geocities.com/screenjockey/classicsquares.html

Dixon Hayes

Oct 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/8/00
Here's one I almost forgot...*the* classic cereal of the 70s...

The Freakies, who lived in the Freakies tree! The all-time coolest cereal
mascots...I showed my daughter the characters as they now appear on a website
(sorry I lost the URL) and she instantly fell in love with them...I think the
site said each character represented a typical personality trait most children
have, that's why they were so well loved...

Remember those Freakie magnets? Try buying one off eBay now!

WiNK

Oct 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/9/00
Isn't that nuts?? A lot of the cereal premiums are SKY HIGH on
Ebay.............

....we are the Freakies and this is our Freakies tree!!!!!!! My favorite
was Snorkledorf....the one with the long snout. So what personality does
that represent, Dixon? :-)

Nadine

Dixon Hayes <dixon...@aol.comspamless> wrote in message

Marlene Blanshay

Oct 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/9/00

> Awwwwwww . . .
>
> Nobody but me seems to recall Pink Elephants. I LOVED those things!!
> I remember them from about '68 or '69 in Canada. They tasted like
> Lucky Charms, as though the marshmallow taste was mixed in with the
> O's.
>
> Dawna

I remember pink Elephants! I'm in Canada too. I don't think we ever
bought them, or if we did I don't remember. They didn't appeal to me that
much. Which company made them?

I also liked Team Flakes- they were just plain flakes but very tasty. Long
since gone.

Ay Fongul

Oct 9, 2000, 11:12:51 PM10/9/00
Anyone remember Hawaiian Rice? It tasted just like Rice Krispies (only I think
it had more sugar).

I can remember there were three little island kids in a canoe on the front of
the box.

Our Safeway carries Quisp and it tastes as good as I remember!

Ang

LizzieZ

Oct 9, 2000, 11:20:17 PM10/9/00
My personal fave is also long gone... Post Oat Flakes. The best thing about
them (for me) was that they weren't too sweet, but still tasted fantastic. I
probably had just as many bowls with milk as I did dry to snack on. Have never
found anything to quite take their place...

Liz

Sparki

Oct 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/10/00
>Super Sugar Crisp (back when they still called it that)
A childhood fave of mine -- whole grain wheat with a glaze of sweet. Always ate
'em straight up, no milk, whether for breakfast or a snack. For TV munching, I
ate 'em straight outta the box, why bother with a bowl? Just hand-to-mouth
munching, cunchy, sticky sweetness to sustain me while I watched ARCHIE and
POPEYE (my two fave cartoon shows. In fact, I used to dream about having a
stepdad who looked like a combo of Big Moose and Bluto -- was I the only little
girl who thought Bluto was handsome?)
Golden Crisp is the same stuff called something different, is just as
delish, and I learned it has NO FAT AT ALL!!!! So I "rediscovered" the stuff
and it has become a standby in the Sparki Shopping Cart
***SPARKI***
"By the way, I'm real, and I'm SPARK-tacular!"

Sparki

Oct 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/10/00
Remember Great Honey Crunchers? Like Super Sugar crisp but a LOT stickier! I
also ate 'em straight up, no milk (I eat most cold cereals that way, or else
I'll mix in some yogurt) and they were EXCELLENT, if sticky.

Sparki

Oct 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/10/00
They should have revived PINK PANTHER FLAKES in the 80s under the name MOLLY
RINGWALD'S PRETTY-N-PINK FLAKES.

Sparki

Oct 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/10/00
>Anyone remember any of the Cap'n Crunch experiments, like vanilla and peanut
butter flavoring??
The peanut butter one is still around, AFAIK

SuspectDevice

Oct 10, 2000, 9:25:45 PM10/10/00
I played on a soccer team that had the Freakies as our mascot. One guy's
dad worked for General Mills and he scored a bunch of Freakies t-shirts for
us to wear as jerseys. I was Snorkeldorf. It sure got some weird looks
from our opponents.

Oil Impressionist

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
In article <blanshay-091...@192.168.0.3>,

blan...@total.net (Marlene Blanshay) wrote:

> > Awwwwwww . . .
> >
> > Nobody but me seems to recall Pink Elephants. I LOVED those
things!!
> > I remember them from about '68 or '69 in Canada. They tasted like
> > Lucky Charms, as though the marshmallow taste was mixed in with the
> > O's.
> >
> > Dawna
> >
> I remember pink Elephants! I'm in Canada too. I don't think we ever
> bought them, or if we did I don't remember. They didn't appeal to me
that
> much. Which company made them?
>
> I also liked Team Flakes- they were just plain flakes but very tasty.
Long
> since gone.

I don't recall the pink elephants company. Hey, it's great to know I'm
not hallucinating, thanks, Marlene!!

Jeff Troutman

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
"Sparki" <siss...@aol.comIH8Spam> wrote:
> >Anyone remember any of the Cap'n Crunch experiments, like vanilla and
peanut
> butter flavoring??
> The peanut butter one is still around, AFAIK

I still see Cap'n Crunch but I haven't seen Peanut Butter Crunch in a while.
I never saw the vanilla-flavored.

Jeff Troutman

Mike Canzoneri

Oct 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/13/00
Sparki wrote:

> >Anyone remember any of the Cap'n Crunch experiments, like vanilla and peanut
> butter flavoring??
> The peanut butter one is still around, AFAIK

Yeah, and they also came out with one that had some weird artificial red berries
in it too. I can't remember what they called the berries, though. I think they
were called Crunch Berries.

***********************************
Mike Canzoneri
Austin, TX

** Do they still play the blues in Chicago **
** When baseball season rolls around **
** When the snow melts away do the Cubbies still play **
** In their ivy covered burial ground **
** **
** When I was a boy they were my pride and joy **
** But now they only bring fatigue **
** To the home of the brave, the land of the free **
** And the doormat of the National League **
** **
** Steve Goodman - from A Dying Cub Fan's Last Request **

Dixon Hayes

Oct 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/13/00
>Yeah, and they also came out with one that had some weird artificial red
>berries
>in it too. I can't remember what they called the berries, though. I think
>they
>were called Crunch Berries.

They still have those around here and I have always *loved* them.

Dixon
===========
"You never know when another beast might come down out of the forest!"
--Barney Fife, legendary lawman

Tiny Dancer

Oct 13, 2000, 8:20:56 PM10/13/00
And so the word went out from Oil Impressionist <oil_impr...@my-deja.com>:

>Nobody but me seems to recall Pink Elephants. I LOVED those things!!
>I remember them from about '68 or '69 in Canada. They tasted like
>Lucky Charms, as though the marshmallow taste was mixed in with the
>O's.

Dawna, the only Pink Elephant thing I can recall is that awful pink popcorn,
wasn't there an elephant on the box? Cheap and nasty sweet popcorn ...
that I ate by the fistful, of course! The cereal sounds like before my time
in Canada (got here in '72), did it last long?

Cheers,

TD

I could whistle up an old tune
That your memory might recall
Rustle up some reminisce
'Bout the good old days and all
from Harry Chapin's "If My Mary Were Here"

For a good time call
http://i.am/tinyd

alt.culture.us.1970s
http://members.nbci.com/oroborus12/70s.html

The Wanderer

Oct 13, 2000, 8:52:26 PM10/13/00
I remember Pink Elephants. Never ate the stuff, but I remember.

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn
"Tiny Dancer" <ti...@idirect.com> wrote in message

Oil Impressionist

Oct 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/14/00
In article <39e7a66a...@news.idirect.com>,
ti...@idirect.com (Tiny Dancer) wrote:
> And so the word went out from Oil Impressionist <oil_impressionist@my-

What a GREAT quote, Tiny!!

Pink E's were gone pretty quickly, as I recall. By 72, they were
gonga. Hey, we moved to the US in 73. Veddy Intuh-destink!!

And who could forget pink, sweet, tastes-like-the-cardboard-box
popcorn!!!

Dawna

--
~~A deadly secret lies within LAURA'S LEGACY, available @ Amazon.com
Our web site: http://scribes.virtualave.net/

alt.culture.us.1970s website:
http://members.nbci.com/oroborus12/70s.html

Oil Impressionist

Oct 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/14/00
In article <e7OF5.392$7N....@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,

"The Wanderer" <rosieon...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> I remember Pink Elephants. Never ate the stuff, but I remember.

I didn't know they marched all the way to the US!

:-)

Dawna

--

~~A deadly secret lies within LAURA'S LEGACY, available @ Amazon.com
Our web site: http://scribes.virtualave.net/

alt.culture.us.1970s website:
http://members.nbci.com/oroborus12/70s.html

doug holverson

Oct 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/14/00
How about "Grins&Giggles&Smiles&Whatever" that was briefly made around '76?
The gimmick was that the cereal was produced whenever their main machine was
tickled. Sure.....

DGH

Jeff Troutman

Oct 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/14/00
"Oil Impressionist" <oil_impr...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> In article <e7OF5.392$7N....@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
> "The Wanderer" <rosieon...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> > I remember Pink Elephants. Never ate the stuff, but I remember.
> >

> I didn't know they marched all the way to the US!

Great. Now I'm never going to be able to not think of them.

:P

Jeff Troutman

Mark McNeil

Oct 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/15/00

"Sparki" <siss...@aol.comIH8Spam> wrote in message

> Remember Great Honey Crunchers? Like Super Sugar crisp but a LOT stickier!
> also ate 'em straight up, no milk (I eat most cold cereals that way, or
else
> I'll mix in some yogurt) and they were EXCELLENT, if sticky.
> ***SPARKI***
> "By the way, I'm real, and I'm SPARK-tacular!"

I can't remember if anyone mentioned this, but do you remember a
pre-sweetened version of Chex cereal called Sugar Chex? It had a picture of
Casper on the box.

Mark McNeil
mdwm...@teleclipse.net

yachtboy

Oct 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/17/00
grins and giggles and laughs.
i named a pet pigeon after it back in '80 or so.
dont ask, i had an interesting life...
lol!
thanks, yachtboy!

On Sat, 14 Oct 2000 10:32:55 -0500, doug holverson
<dhol...@netins.net> walked right in,sat right down, and screamed in
a very nice way:

--
==========
"Being diabetic is alot like having an un-invited

yachtboy

Oct 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/17/00
how about buckwheats?
i loved them, and haven't seen them for years.
thanks,
yachtboy!

On Sat, 7 Oct 2000 18:15:59 -0400, "RetroTrish"
<retr...@bellsouth.net> walked right in,sat right down, and screamed

in a very nice way:

>x-no-archive: yes
>
>Do they still make any of these?
>
>CW Post (granola type cereal, I loved this stuff)
>Mueslix
>Alpin
>Quisp (have heard this is still mfgd. but can't find it locally)
>
>Trish * 1961
> Trish in Atlanta
> ICQ # 73193807 AOL Instant Messenger: DoxieTrish
>Retrotown Maillist:
> http://www.topica.com/lists/Retrotown/prefs/info.html
>RetroTrish's Retro Treasures - Vintage Children's Books
> http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/retrotrish/
>RetroTrish Radio - an eclectic mix of 1960s, '70s, '80s, & more
> http://radio.sonicnet.com/mymusiclook.asp?name=retrotrish

LPecucci

Oct 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/18/00
does anyone remember (& forgive me if its been mentioned already) one with a
weird monster/machine on the box called"

Laughsandgigglesandsnorts..

or something like that?

now its driving me nuts!

have/want:Beatles/Can/Chilton/Costello/Cooper/Dylan/Kinks/Lowe/Mott/Nrbq/Only
Ones/Replacements/Stones/Slade/Thunders/Waits/B.Wilson/Y F Fellows&more!

http://members.aol.com/LPecucci/index.HOMEMIKE.html

Mark McNeil

Oct 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/18/00

"LPecucci" <lpec...@aol.com> wrote in message

It was called Grins & Smiles & Giggles & Laughs. I remember in the
commercials they tried to get the machine to laugh. His laughing would
produce the boxes of cereal.

Mark McNeil
mdwm...@teleclipse.net

Dick Long

Oct 18, 2000, 11:33:08 PM10/18/00
On Wed, 18 Oct 2000 22:24:33 -0500, in alt.culture.us.1970s another
self-styled hero wrote:

>It was called Grins & Smiles & Giggles & Laughs. I remember in the
>commercials they tried to get the machine to laugh. His laughing would
>produce the boxes of cereal.

Check out Topher's site for tons of cereal info:

http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/3278/cereal-usda.html

Lots of great info and pictures.

DL

When the Yankees win, we all lose.

"belive me I am nothing to bragg about so dont waste all your time.®"
"it seems like every boddy trys to be politicly incorect these days®"
- grapetastebasted

"Jefferies sucks!"
- Public Domain

"One of the most moronic sports fans on Earth!®"
- Mike Fletcher

Winner of the "Name the Little Fool" contest!!!®
- OMF

http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm

Tiny Dancer

Oct 19, 2000, 12:21:18 AM10/19/00
And so the word went out from Dick Long <dickl...@hotmail.combo>:

>Check out Topher's site for tons of cereal info:
>
>http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/3278/cereal-usda.html
>
>Lots of great info and pictures.

Thanks a lot, Dick, there goes another hour or so of my life! Great fun
site, excellent layout with small graphics, I smell a link in the making :-)
Never knew Tony the Tiger was married:

http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/3278/cereal-kelloggs.html

I always fancied him back then *sigh* All the good ones are taken.

Cheers,

TD

I could whistle up an old tune
That your memory might recall
Rustle up some reminisce
'Bout the good old days and all
from Harry Chapin's "If My Mary Were Here"

Webmistress of the official a.c.s '70s site
http://members.nbci.com/oroborus12/70s.html

The Sesame Street Lyrics and Sounds Archive
http://i.am/tinyd

Dustin Petersen

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00
Grins & Smiles & Giggles & Laughs. I think the machine's name was Cecil.

"doug holverson" <dhol...@netins.net> wrote in message

Dustin Petersen

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00
The "lost" Cap'n Crunch Cereals:

Jean La Fitte's Cinnamon Crunch (He was the Pirate)
Nilla Crunch (White frosted puffs, shaped like Peanut Butter Crunch)
Punch Crunch (Fruit Punch flavored, had a parrot on the box, I think, or a
pink elephant)
Choco Crunch (From the 80's)

That's all I can remember, except the following seasonal versions:

Home Run Crunch (With Baseballs)
Christmas Crunch (Red and Green Crunch Berries)
Ooops! All Berries!
And all new Space Cosmic Crunch, with some green powder to put in the milk.

Anybody remember any others?

"Dixon Hayes" <dixon...@aol.comspamless> wrote in message

Dustin Petersen

Oct 28, 2000, 10:28:14 AM10/28/00
They also had Fruity Freakies for a while.