Quick Football Questions (sorta a survey)

Nate

Jan 15, 2001, 3:01:34 PM1/15/01
More injuries now or in the 70's? Are players getting away with playing a
dirtier game?

Do you think it's un - PC to have Jimmy "The Greek" give his opinions on what
team you should place wagers on?

Which is better? Howard Cossell's "This is HOW--ARD CO--SELL" or Brent
Musberger's "Only on C-B-EHSSSSSSSSSS"?

Are players more inarticulate now than in the 70's?

The NFL, AFL, CFL, XFL, or Euro Leagues which do think is better?

The electric vibrating football game or "Game Boy NFL"?

Superbowl commercials in the 70's or dot com commercials today?

Wide World of Sports Theme Music or Hank William's "All my rowdy friends. . ."

"Broadway" Joe or Johnny Unitus? Extra credit for better appearance - Joe's
sideburns or Johnny's crew cut?

Baltimore Colts or Baltimore Ravens?

1975-1979 Dallas Cowboys or Pittsburgh Steelers?

Brief essay question: What would be the line of demarkation for one to be a NY
Jets fan or for one to be a NY Giants fan. I know you can root for either just
b/c it's NY, but lets say there were a radius from stadiums and they were
equidistant. What people from what areas would be Jets fans and what people
from what areas would be Giants fans. Please be sure to include Jersey people
and Long Islanders and what percentage of either populus would even out the
ratio of said areas.

You'll beat the bell curve with this - "Who was the fattest player in the NFL
besides 'Refridgerator Perry'"?

"Our major obligation is not to mistake slogans for solutions" - Edward R.
Murrow

MartiDave

Jan 15, 2001, 5:38:04 PM1/15/01
In article <20010115150134...@ng-cd1.aol.com>, anat...@aol.com
(Nate) writes:

>More injuries now or in the 70's? Are players getting away with playing a
>dirtier game?

Players are bigger and faster and stronger. That is why there are more
injuries

>Do you think it's un - PC to have Jimmy "The Greek" give his opinions on what
>team you should place wagers on?

Gambling has the potential to destroy sports. I hated when he gave gambling
tips under the guise of being a football expert.

>Which is better? Howard Cossell's "This is HOW--ARD CO--SELL" or Brent
>Musberger's "Only on C-B-EHSSSSSSSSSS"?

Gotta Love Howard

>Are players more inarticulate now than in the 70's?

By no means. I think players as a whole get more articulate as the game
progresses. There is just so much more exposure now than there ever was.
Every player has a forum, so we hear them all.

>The NFL, AFL, CFL, XFL, or Euro Leagues which do think is better?

The best league ever was the AFL, I loved the wide open game.

>The electric vibrating football game or "Game Boy NFL"?

VVVVVibrattttting fffffooooottttbbbballllllll

>Superbowl commercials in the 70's or dot com commercials today?

My favorite ever was the kid getting sucked into the Pepsi Bottle

>Wide World of Sports Theme Music or Hank William's "All my rowdy friends. .
>."

Spanning the globe.....

>"Broadway" Joe or Johnny Unitus? Extra credit for better appearance - Joe's
>sideburns or Johnny's crew cut?

Joe Willie Namath

>Baltimore Colts or Baltimore Ravens?

Colts

>1975-1979 Dallas Cowboys or Pittsburgh Steelers?

Steelers, Thanks Mean Joe

>Brief essay question: What would be the line of demarkation for one to be a
>NY
>Jets fan or for one to be a NY Giants fan. I know you can root for either
>just
>b/c it's NY, but lets say there were a radius from stadiums and they were
>equidistant. What people from what areas would be Jets fans and what people
>from what areas would be Giants fans. Please be sure to include Jersey
>people
>and Long Islanders and what percentage of either populus would even out the
>ratio of said areas.

I'm not sure about others, but I live in New Jersey and am a Jets fan. The
only thing that I have ever heard was that Northern NJ is Giants Territory?

>You'll beat the bell curve with this - "Who was the fattest player in the NFL
>besides 'Refridgerator Perry'"?

Tony Siragusa

Dave Spiegel

Nate

Jan 15, 2001, 5:47:39 PM1/15/01
>>You'll beat the bell curve with this - "Who was the fattest player in the
>NFL
>>besides 'Refridgerator Perry'"?
>
>Tony Siragusa

That's what I'm thinking as well. If anyone knows a link to verify, please
tell!

I'd like to have a top ten heavyweights just for future sports trivia
knowledge.

recsec

Jan 15, 2001, 7:20:04 PM1/15/01

"Nate" <anat...@aol.com> wrote in message

> More injuries now or in the 70's? Are players getting away with playing a
> dirtier game?
> I doubt it. I don't see any Assassin's playing today. Or even a Conrad
Dobler. He was the self proclaimed meanest man in football.

> Do you think it's un - PC to have Jimmy "The Greek" give his opinions on
what
> team you should place wagers on?

I liked him. It would come in handy when making a bet with your buddies.

> Which is better? Howard Cossell's "This is HOW--ARD CO--SELL" or Brent
> Musberger's "Only on C-B-EHSSSSSSSSSS"?

O Howard by a mile

> Are players more inarticulate now than in the 70's?

> I think they are about the same. But if you want a really inarticulate
athlete then you should be on the lookout anytime ESPN shows former Rocket
Moses Malone talk. Weird.

> The NFL, AFL, CFL, XFL, or Euro Leagues which do think is better?

> For this Houstonian it's the AFL. The Oilers were the leagues first
Champions. Now tho I loathe the titans & that jackass of an owner of theirs.
It wont be till 2002 but Go Texans!!!

> The electric vibrating football game or "Game Boy NFL"?

Never had either

> Superbowl commercials in the 70's or dot com commercials today?

> Don't particularly remember any Super Sunday ads from then, ceptin maybe
the Mean Joe Green one. I do remember local ones featuring Earl Campbell
pushing Skoal.

> Wide World of Sports Theme Music or Hank William's "All my rowdy friends.
. ."

> "Are you ready for some football?? A Monday Night Party!!!"

> "Broadway" Joe or Johnny Unitus? Extra credit for better appearance -
Joe's
> sideburns or Johnny's crew cut?

> The sideburns are better than Johnny's crewcut. I guarantee it!!

> Baltimore Colts or Baltimore Ravens?

> I feel for the people of Baltimore for the way that coward bob irsay ran
from there under the cover of night. I too know the pain of losing your team
because you're only worth 230 million & your friends are worth 500 million.
I am happy for the people to have a team again, but I'm not happy with the
way they got one. I'll just say the Cleveland Browns. To hell with modell.

> 1975-1979 Dallas Cowboys or Pittsburgh Steelers?

> Ok see here ya go. I'm a bred & reared Houstonian who has grown up hearing
the rest of the country mention dallas when they talked about Texas. Never
Houston. I hate dallas. I hate any team that plays in a stadium with a hole
in the roof. I have never been a cowboy fan & God willing I never will. They
have had however some good players thru the years & 1 good coach. As for
pittsburgh, well same thing. We wuz robbed by the officials in 79. I was at
the pep rally in the Dome after that game. Electric. Hate the steelers also.

> You'll beat the bell curve with this - "Who was the fattest player in the
NFL
> besides 'Refridgerator Perry'"?

> Ever seen Nate Newton??

Billy

redace

Jan 15, 2001, 9:38:09 PM1/15/01

Nate wrote in message <20010115150134...@ng-cd1.aol.com>...

Now here's a asurvey I can really appreciate!! ;-)

>More injuries now or in the 70's? Are players getting away with
playing a
>dirtier game?

I don't think that the injuries have really increased or decreased. As
far as players getting away with playing dirtier? I don't think so at
all...The guys in the 50's-70's were much more hard core. Just listen
to the "old timer's" like Bubba Smith, Artie Donovan and Dick Butkis
(one of the dirtiest of players!!) tell their stories!

>Do you think it's un - PC to have Jimmy "The Greek" give his opinions
on what
>team you should place wagers on?

I don't think that it's "un-PC" of him to give *an* opinion of teams,
unfortunatly, he has serious foot-in-mouth disease. Soooo....

>Which is better? Howard Cossell's "This is HOW--ARD CO--SELL" or Brent
>Musberger's "Only on C-B-EHSSSSSSSSSS"?

As annoying as he was, Howard Cosell.

>Are players more inarticulate now than in the 70's?

No.

>The NFL, AFL, CFL, XFL, or Euro Leagues which do think is better?

NFL

>The electric vibrating football game or "Game Boy NFL"?

Vibrating football...but only because it was more entertaining to
watch...not for actual playing. ;-)

>Superbowl commercials in the 70's or dot com commercials today?

I can't stand all those dot com commercials!!! So I guess I will have
to go with the 70's.

>Wide World of Sports Theme Music or Hank William's "All my rowdy
friends. . ."

Hmmm..kinda partial to ol' Hank...

>"Broadway" Joe or Johnny Unitus? Extra credit for better appearance -
Joe's
>sideburns or Johnny's crew cut?

Oh, Johnny U. all the way!!! (But I may be a little bias being that
I'm from Baltimore!!)

>Baltimore Colts or Baltimore Ravens?

Both! (Again, I'm from Bawlamer, Hon!)

>1975-1979 Dallas Cowboys or Pittsburgh Steelers?

UGH...if I have to pick I'll go with the Steelers

>Brief essay question: What would be the line of demarkation for one to
be a NY
>Jets fan or for one to be a NY Giants fan. I know you can root for
either just
>b/c it's NY, but lets say there were a radius from stadiums and they
were
>equidistant. What people from what areas would be Jets fans and what
people
>from what areas would be Giants fans. Please be sure to include Jersey
people
>and Long Islanders and what percentage of either populus would even out
the
>ratio of said areas.

I believe this question is really focused for those that reside in or
around NYC!! I used to live in NYC, but wasn't really into football
then. (This was when I was still in limbo between the Baltimore Colts
and Baltimore Ravens.)

>You'll beat the bell curve with this - "Who was the fattest player in
the NFL
>besides 'Refridgerator Perry'"?

Well, I know that on the Ravens there are 3 players that officially
weigh in at 340 pounds. They are Tony Siragusa (DT)
(Goooooosssseeee!!),
Edwin Mulitalo (OG), and Jonathon Ogden (OT). Maybe there's one bigger
than these guys??

Lori =^.^=

redace

Jan 15, 2001, 9:57:23 PM1/15/01

recsec wrote in message ...

>> Baltimore Colts or Baltimore Ravens?
>> I feel for the people of Baltimore for the way that coward bob irsay
ran
>from there under the cover of night. I too know the pain of losing your
team
>because you're only worth 230 million & your friends are worth 500
million.
>I am happy for the people to have a team again, but I'm not happy with
the
>way they got one. I'll just say the Cleveland Browns. To hell with
modell.

[Please brace yourselves for a "vent"]

Okay...this is where I have to voice my opinion!! Bob Irsay was the
biggest #*&@*% jerk who unfortunately lived on this planet! What he
did to the city of Baltimore I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Also,
many of us in Baltimore think Paul Taglibu (sp?) should be kicked out of
the NFL for his involvement in keeping Baltimore from getting a team for
all those lonely football-less years!!!
Now, as for Art Modell...sorry, but I won't fault him. He asked for
Cleveland to fix that stadium or build a new one for 7 years!(Unlike
Irsay, who skipped out on the first Mayflower moving van that he could
hire!) Cleveland built a new stadium for their basketball team and
helped financed the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but wouldn't listen to
Modell because they took it for granted that he wouldn't dare move the
team. Well, they were wrong and they had been warned...a warning
Baltimore *never* got. On top of everything else, they only had to wait
a few years for a team...not a decade! <whew>
Sorry about the vent, but I had to speak as one of the "horse's mouth",
so to speak. I feel a little better now. :-)

Lori =^.^=

Kelly

Jan 15, 2001, 10:22:54 PM1/15/01

"Nate" <anat...@aol.com> wrote in message
> Brief essay question: What would be the line of demarkation for one to be
a NY
> Jets fan or for one to be a NY Giants fan. I know you can root for either
just
> b/c it's NY, but lets say there were a radius from stadiums and they were
> equidistant. What people from what areas would be Jets fans and what
people
> from what areas would be Giants fans. Please be sure to include Jersey
people
> and Long Islanders and what percentage of either populus would even out
the
> ratio of said areas.

I am not a football fan at all, but I can take a good guess at this question
being a native Long Islander.

From what I have seen team loyalty works in groups such as :

ISLANDERS (hockey) - Mets (baseball) - Jets (football)

and

rangers (hockey) - Yankees (baseball) - Giants (football)

It may have to do with geography. The ISLANDERS have always played on Long
Island. The Mets play at Shea Stadium in Queens (but geographically Long
Island). The Jets once played at Shea, and to my knowledge still practice at
Hofstra University in Hempstead (Long Island).

The 2nd set I see more as "city teams'.

As a non-football fan I notice more often people will become die hard fans
of teams that are not their local team. I don't see it as much in baseball,
and almost never in ice hockey. Is this a correct assumption?

Kelly

The Wanderer

Jan 15, 2001, 11:05:05 PM1/15/01
I HATE football but I felt that as a N.Y.er I had to answer one of your
questions. NEITHER team is a N.Y. team regardless of what their names are.
THEY PLAY IN NEW JERSEY. That's like saying that the Dodgers are still the
Brooklyn Dodgers, they ONLY play in L.A. If the Yankees left N.Y. for N.J.:
regardless what they called themselves I would spit at the dustcloud they
left and curse their name for leaving. But HOW COULD they be the New York
Yankees. Why because the Boss maintains an apartment there? Because their
business office is there? It's where the team plays that say's who they are.
That's why the Texas Rangers play in Texas, the Dallas Cowboys play in
Dallas, The Oakland Raiders just happen to pay in....duh...Oakland. This not
changing names thing is just a business ploy to keep New Yorkers (and their
bucks) coming to the games. No New Yorker with any degree of pride or
integrity would go to see a N.J. team! Remember that N.Y.-N.J. thread?
Underlying that thread is a lot of unstated animosity that has existed for a
long time. If they were so damned proud about playing in N.J. they would
have changed the name, wouldn't they? See, they dont want to be in Jersey
either. Every other team changes the geographical part of their name when
they move, dont they. They keep saying if Rudy will build a new stadium on
the west side in the freight yards, they'll come home. They are
blackmailing the city to build them a stadium large enough that they can
make big money just on the seating capacity. Like it's N.Y.C.'s job to build
a stadium for these spoiled, cheap-ass rich bastards. I say stay where you
are and change your name. Who needs ya?! Sorry to rant but I cant stand to
see all of these New Yorkers running around acting like they have a football
team. Sure ya do, if you're willing to cross the river and go to another
state to see them (because they NEVER play in N.Y. anymore). whew!!!! Glad
to get that one out of my system.

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
Aristotle Onassis

The Wanderer

Jan 16, 2001, 12:11:01 PM1/16/01
"redace" <redace...@worldnet.att.net> wrote

> >Do you think it's un - PC to have Jimmy "The Greek" give his opinions
> on what
> >team you should place wagers on?
>
> I don't think that it's "un-PC" of him to give *an* opinion of teams,
> unfortunatly, he has serious foot-in-mouth disease. Soooo....

Well several years back Whoopi Goldberg had said that Jimmy The Greek was
right. That he was telling the truth about the breeding remarks that he had
made. But that the P.C. establishment, and particularly the Black P.C.
establishment felt that "Who the hell is he, as a white man, to make THOSE
remarks?!" She said that "their" skins seemed a little thin, and that they
were a little too sensitive, especially about someone telling the truth. And
that she felt bad about the guy having to lose his job over it. (Which is
not to be read so as to say that I endorse or believe all his remarks.)

a_nate...@my-deja.com

Jan 16, 2001, 1:58:34 PM1/16/01
Buddy, I hate to tell ya'. One of the reasons I wrote that question is
that the teams aren't in New York. I agree w/ you. I just needed some
insight as to why I've seen all these New Yorkers sounding off on the
news channels when the Giants are in NJ. I thought people were a
little more localized than that. The weirdest thing I ever saw was a
game in Joe Robbie stadium in Miami - The Jets vs. Dolphins. I've
never seen so many people rootin' for the guest team in my life. It
was weird. I'm thinkin' - hey jackasses! You live in Florida now,
what's your problem! There would be a riot in Jack Murphy (Qualcomm)
stadium if ANYONE weren't rootin' for the Chargers. But hey! I live
in SC! Oh well!

GO COCKS!!!!!!!

In article <RLP86.611$tA6....@bgtnsc06-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

a_nate...@my-deja.com

Jan 16, 2001, 2:11:03 PM1/16/01
In article <UsM86.6237$J%.633955@news.flash.net>,
"recsec" <rec...@flash.net> wrote:

> Don't particularly remember any Super Sunday ads from then, ceptin
> maybe the Mean Joe Green one. I do remember local ones featuring Earl
> Campbell pushing Skoal.

I LOVED that one. He was the one who started "Just putcha' a lil'
pehnch tween yur cheek n' gum"

A CLASSIC

> > You'll beat the bell curve with this - "Who was the fattest player
> >in the NFL besides 'Refridgerator Perry'"?

> Ever seen Nate Newton??

Yes, as a matter of fact. When he began his short lived career with
the Chargers. They'd blow the cannon and everyone would
shout "Nate. . .Nate. . .Nate" - I LOVED that part! That dude is an
animal like Hershel Walker (he was an oiler, right?). However, I don't
think he's tipping the scales like "The Fridge".

Francis McGill

Jan 16, 2001, 3:30:28 PM1/16/01
Joe Robbie Stadium died five years ago . . . it's now
Pro Player, for at least a few more months anyway.

a_nate...@my-deja.com wrote:
: Buddy, I hate to tell ya'. One of the reasons I wrote that question is

: GO COCKS!!!!!!!

* *
* Francis McGill *
* a052...@bc.seflin.org *
* "Glory to God in the Highest" *
* *

Nate

Jan 16, 2001, 6:47:20 PM1/16/01
>Joe Robbie Stadium died five years ago . . . it's now
>Pro Player, for at least a few more months anyway.

I'm still gonna call it Joe Robbie. Just like Qualcomm should be Jack Murphy
stadium.

<the sounds of two men rolling in there graves>

recsec

Jan 16, 2001, 7:01:51 PM1/16/01

> >Joe Robbie Stadium died five years ago . . . it's now
> >Pro Player, for at least a few more months anyway.
>
> I'm still gonna call it Joe Robbie. Just like Qualcomm should be Jack
Murphy
> stadium.
>
> <the sounds of two men rolling in there graves>

Just like the Astrodome should always be called The Houston Astrodome.
BUUUUUUUTT NOOOOOOO!!! It is now called The Reliant Astrodome. Reliant is
the power company here. They paid 300 mill to put their name on it & then a
week later announced that they were raising electrical rates on us. They
also had the GALL to say that it wasn't because of the price they paid for
the name rights. But hey we're just stupid 'ol consumers who aren't educated
enough to know when we are being lied to. Man I can't wait for the
revolution against Big Business. It will ALWAYS be the Astrodome to me. Same
goes for the Summit. Compaq, who makes the most God awful computers in all
the land, put their name on the Summit. Now it is called compaq Center. Only
the media & compaq people call it that. The rest of us call it The Summit.
Billy

The Wanderer

Jan 16, 2001, 8:07:07 PM1/16/01
I hate that also. I think, for me, it's a HARD decision to make when you
tell me that so-and-so is playing at the Smegma National Bank Stadium. I
dont want to endorse such goings on as this "name theft". I resent that
these venues are advertising to me by presenting my favorite acts at a
facility that is named after THEM. Or, that I might look like I endorse the
product or company that the stadium is named for. I think we should try to
start a new trend as comsumers: let's try to make sure that these facilities
come to be called other things i.e. Compaq's facility should be called
Lousey Computer Stadium. If we get enough people to sart calling them by
their "new" names they'll change it to the John Smith Memorial Stadium.

"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
Aristotle Onassis

"recsec" <rec...@flash.net> wrote in message

Phaedra Alwell

Jan 18, 2001, 3:28:26 AM1/18/01
I hear ya Billy
i am a purist and will refuse to use those new names just because they
have big bucks to use them
I believe its the "new Establishment"
I dont live too far from Astrodome about 20 miles...its good to know
someone lives close that is a retrofan!

Phaedra '74
In good ol Alvin Texas

Phaedra Alwell

Jan 18, 2001, 3:22:05 AM1/18/01

More injuries now or in the 70's? now
Are players getting away with playing a dirtier game? i think so

Do you think it's un - PC to have Jimmy "The Greek" give his opinions on
what team you should place wagers on? yes
Which is better? Howard Cossell's "This is HOW--ARD CO--SELL" or Brent
Musberger's "Only on C-B-EHSSSSSSSSSS"? Brent Musberger's
Are players more inarticulate now than in the 70's? NO i dont think so
The NFL, AFL, CFL, XFL, or Euro Leagues which do think is better? AFL
The electric vibrating football game or "Game Boy NFL"? vibrating
Superbowl commercials in the 70's or dot com commercials today? 70's
Wide World of Sports Theme Music or Hank William's "All my rowdy
friends. . ." Wide World of Sports
"Broadway" Joe or Johnny Unitus? Extra credit for better appearance -
Joe's sideburns or Johnny's crew cut? Johnny all the way
Baltimore Colts or Baltimore Ravens? hmmm
1975-1979 Dallas Cowboys or Pittsburgh Steelers? Steelers

Brief essay question: What would be the line of demarkation for one to
be a NY Jets fan or for one to be a NY Giants fan. I know you can root
for either just b/c it's NY, but lets say there were a radius from
stadiums and they were equidistant. What people from what areas would be
Jets fans and what people from what areas would be Giants fans. Please
be sure to include Jersey people and Long Islanders and what percentage
of either populus would even out the ratio of said areas.
You'll beat the bell curve with this - "Who was the fattest player in
the NFL
besides 'Refridgerator Perry'"?

"Our major obligation is not to mistake slogans for solutions" - Edward
R.
Murrow

Phaedra '74

recsec

Jan 18, 2001, 4:31:37 AM1/18/01

"Phaedra Alwell" <Phae...@webtv.net> wrote in message

ALVIN!!!!!!! Cool!!!!! Home of the Express. I live in the
Northshore/Channelview area out I-10 East. You know home of the Pom-Pom
cheerleader mom. it's good to know there's someone in here that's from here.
Billy

Francis McGill

Jan 18, 2001, 11:09:42 AM1/18/01
Ah, Houston . . . visited there two years ago. I love
eating at Ninfa's.

Phaedra Alwell

Jan 28, 2001, 10:43:37 PM1/28/01
im sorry billy i did not see that post about you being in Channelview
yeah the pompom killer put your city on the map!
Good to see you are from here

Phaedra :)