The Best Female Singers of the Decade

merl...@my-deja.com

Oct 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/7/00
In no particular order...

Karen Carpenter
Dusty Springfield
Roberta Flack
Gladys Knight
Aretha Franklin
Bette Midler
Olivia Newton-John
Rita Coolidge
Patti LaBelle
Barbra Streisand

Those names look so classy and iconic up there, compared to todays
singers...

Any I've missed... ?

David.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Teu...@webtv.net

Oct 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/7/00
Hey wait a minute... where's Donna Summer???

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger'
- Friedrick Nietzsche

andy749

Oct 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/7/00
Chaka Khan
Dolly Parton
Linda Ronstadt
Bonnie Raitt
Yvonne Elliman

Zep77

Oct 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/7/00
a little on the obscure side,but Gayle Mccormick from the 60's band "group
called Smith" had an amazing voice, really powerful.
Smith had 2 LP's and Gayle had 3 solo albums and they are well worth seeking
out.
Mike

Endymion9

Oct 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/7/00
The Queen!! Linda Ronstadt
and the Witch!! Stevie Nicks

--
Endy/Dennis
"dancing us from the darkest night is the rhythm of love powered by the

http://home.mindspring.com/~endymion9/index.htm

Naz Reyes

Oct 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/7/00
In article <8rmvsa$vtb$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

merl...@my-deja.com wrote:
> In no particular order...
>
> Karen Carpenter
> Dusty Springfield
> Roberta Flack
> Gladys Knight
> Aretha Franklin
> Bette Midler
> Olivia Newton-John
> Rita Coolidge
> Patti LaBelle
> Barbra Streisand
>
> Those names look so classy and iconic up there, compared to todays
> singers...
>
> Any I've missed... ?
>
> David.

Let's see...you've missed the rock and roll diva, PAT BENATAR (yes, she
started in the VERY late 70s, and so do ANN and NANCY WILSON of HEART,
all very good vocalists!

Also, LINDA RONSTADT, who can sing just about any style of music. And
she has proven that through the years. She's making traditional,
Mexican music these days :)

There is also DONNA SUMMER, who we all know is the disco diva of the
century, but also can sing just about any type of music. Well... maybe
not country :)

Another is KATE BUSH - yes, she started in the late 70s. She's the
mother of "alternative/modern rock" music, the one who *created* SINEAD
O'CONNOR, TORI AMOS, ALANIS MORRISETTE, and perhaps, even NATALIE
MERCHANT!

Also, the 70s can't be complete without the soul vocals of CHAKA KHAN.
She's the queen of 70s R&B in *my* book. Nobody can top the "funk and
soul" of Chaka :)

-Naz

David Ballarotto

Oct 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/7/00
> Barbra Streisand

Allen Ludden once said of her, "She has a higher opinion of herself than
inflation."

David Ballarotto

Oct 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/7/00

<a_nate...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> I like Carol King, and YES I may be considered a wussy, so for those of
> you that think that way - you know what you can do.

Carole King is a very good choice. A few months ago I bought "Tapestry"
on CD and thought it was one of the best albums I'd heard ever. She is a
very talented songwriter. I hadn't even realized until hearing it on
"Tapestry," that she had penned "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" and her
version has a much different feel to it than others. And, look, all you
have to do is listen to her version of "So Far Away" and then catch Rod
Stewart's version to discover how talented Carole King is.

a_nate...@my-deja.com

Oct 7, 2000, 9:45:38 PM10/7/00
I like Carol King, and YES I may be considered a wussy, so for those of
you that think that way - you know what you can do.

- And for those of you R&B fans like myself - Aretha of course, but she
wins my all time award. I'll also put in Alicia Myers "I Want To Thank
You" for most underated. She had a lot of Gospel albums in the 70's,
but not very well known.

Oil Impressionist

Oct 8, 2000, 2:37:39 AM10/8/00
In article <8ro67t$qvc$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Naz Reyes <n...@american.edu> wrote:

> Another is KATE BUSH - yes, she started in the late 70s. She's the
> mother of "alternative/modern rock" music, the one who *created*
SINEAD
> O'CONNOR, TORI AMOS, ALANIS MORRISETTE, and perhaps, even NATALIE
> MERCHANT!

snip

> -Naz

Wow, I didn't know that! I thought Suzanne Vega was the first. I
guess she was just the first I ever heard in that "genre."

Dawna

--
~~A deadly secret lies within LAURA'S LEGACY, available @ Amazon.com
Our web site: http://scribes.virtualave.net/

Dixon Hayes

Oct 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/8/00
What, no Stevie Nicks or Christine McVie?

Dixon
===========
"How I VOTE, brother, is my business...how'd you vote, Ange?"
--Barney Fife

Remember THE Hollywood Squares...the original and the best
http://www.geocities.com/screenjockey/classicsquares.html

Naz Reyes

Oct 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/8/00
In article <8rojk1$4im$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

a_nate...@my-deja.com wrote:
> I like Carol King, and YES I may be considered a wussy, so for those
of
> you that think that way - you know what you can do.

Admiring or liking Carole King is not "wussy"! Sheez. Carol has a good
voice, maybe not great, but as far as *songwriting* goes, she's one of
the best EVER! :-)

> - And for those of you R&B fans like myself - Aretha of course, but
she
> wins my all time award.

Well, Aretha seems to win this all the time, anyhow. I'm surprised,
though, that a lot of people don't know much about the track "Ain't No
Way". I think this song really highlights her vocals more than the
fast, pop R&B stuff she's known for. This song (Ain't No Way) is also
one of my favorites by her and is one of those extremely emotional songs
that will send shivers up your spine and "flood" your home! An absolute
tearjerker :-)

"Do Right Woman, Do Right Man" is another song that I love that
highlights her vocals and soul, not to mention another one of those
"women's rights" anthems :-)

I'll also put in Alicia Myers "I Want To
Thank
> You" for most underated. She had a lot of Gospel albums in the 70's,
> but not very well known.

You're right - I don't know much about Alicia Myers except for "I Love
The Nightlife". *That song*, itself, highlights her wonderful vocals!
You know, I think I'll look for some her gospel albums, now that you
mentioned it! :)

-Naz

Naz Reyes

Oct 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/8/00
In article <8rp4nj$g92$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Oil Impressionist <oil_impr...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> In article <8ro67t$qvc$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> Naz Reyes <n...@american.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Another is KATE BUSH - yes, she started in the late 70s. She's the
> > mother of "alternative/modern rock" music, the one who *created*
> SINEAD
> > O'CONNOR, TORI AMOS, ALANIS MORRISETTE, and perhaps, even NATALIE
> > MERCHANT!
>
> snip
>

> > -Naz
> >

> Wow, I didn't know that! I thought Suzanne Vega was the first. I
> guess she was just the first I ever heard in that "genre."
>
> Dawna

That's possible, because I didn't discover Kate Bush until "The Hounds
of Love" in 1985. She actually started in 1977 and had a number one
song in England with the song "Wuthering Heights" (wonderful song!!!),
and she was only 17! When she released her first album, "The Kick
Inside", she was already considered a "child genius". The material in
this album is too mature for a 17 year old! :)

As for Suzanne Vega, her first album was released in 1985, so she was
too late :-)

-Naz

Jeff Troutman

Oct 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/8/00
"Naz Reyes" <n...@american.edu> wrote:
> In article <8rojk1$4im$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> a_nate...@my-deja.com wrote:
>
> I'll also put in Alicia Myers "I Want To
> Thank
> > You" for most underated. She had a lot of Gospel albums in the 70's,
> > but not very well known.
>
> You're right - I don't know much about Alicia Myers except for "I Love
> The Nightlife". *That song*, itself, highlights her wonderful vocals!
> You know, I think I'll look for some her gospel albums, now that you
> mentioned it! :)

Didn't Alicia Bridges sing "I Love The Nightlife"?

Jeff Troutman

Naz Reyes

Oct 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/8/00
In article <8rqtdr$kn3$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>,

"Jeff Troutman" <yourhe...@starpower.net> wrote:
> "Naz Reyes" <n...@american.edu> wrote:
> > In article <8rojk1$4im$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> > a_nate...@my-deja.com wrote:
> >
> > I'll also put in Alicia Myers "I Want To
> > Thank
> > > You" for most underated. She had a lot of Gospel albums in the
70's,
> > > but not very well known.
> >
> > You're right - I don't know much about Alicia Myers except for "I
Love
> > The Nightlife". *That song*, itself, highlights her wonderful
vocals!
> > You know, I think I'll look for some her gospel albums, now that you
> > mentioned it! :)
> >

> Didn't Alicia Bridges sing "I Love The Nightlife"?
>
> Jeff Troutman

Bridges! Ay, yay, yay :-) You're absolutely right, Jeff!

Now, who is ALICIA MYERS??!

-Naz

Jeff Troutman

Oct 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/8/00
"Naz Reyes" <n...@american.edu> wrote:
> In article <8rp4nj$g92$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> Oil Impressionist <oil_impr...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> > In article <8ro67t$qvc$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> > Naz Reyes <n...@american.edu> wrote:
> > >
> > > Another is KATE BUSH - yes, she started in the late 70s. She's the
> > > mother of "alternative/modern rock" music, the one who *created*
> > SINEAD
> > > O'CONNOR, TORI AMOS, ALANIS MORRISETTE, and perhaps, even NATALIE
> > > MERCHANT!
> >
> > snip
> >

> > Wow, I didn't know that! I thought Suzanne Vega was the first. I
> > guess she was just the first I ever heard in that "genre."
> >

> That's possible, because I didn't discover Kate Bush until "The Hounds
> of Love" in 1985. She actually started in 1977 and had a number one
> song in England with the song "Wuthering Heights" (wonderful song!!!),
> and she was only 17! When she released her first album, "The Kick
> Inside", she was already considered a "child genius". The material in
> this album is too mature for a 17 year old! :)

And she just got better and better, culminating in "Hounds", which I think
is one of the best records of the '80s.

Trivia for you '70s music buffs: Kate is said to have been discovered in
part by Dave Gilmour of Pink Floyd. Her first two LPs were produced by
Andrew Powell, who did the orchestral arrangements on those early Alan
Parsons Project albums.

Jeff Troutman

Jeff Troutman

Oct 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/8/00
"Naz Reyes" <n...@american.edu> wrote:
> In article <8rqtdr$kn3$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>,
> "Jeff Troutman" <yourhe...@starpower.net> wrote:
> > "Naz Reyes" <n...@american.edu> wrote:
> > > In article <8rojk1$4im$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

> > > a_nate...@my-deja.com wrote:
> > >
> > > I'll also put in Alicia Myers "I Want To
> > > Thank
> 70's,
> > >
> > > You're right - I don't know much about Alicia Myers except for "I
> Love
> > > The Nightlife". *That song*, itself, highlights her wonderful
> vocals!
> > > You know, I think I'll look for some her gospel albums, now that you
> > > mentioned it! :)
> > >

> > Didn't Alicia Bridges sing "I Love The Nightlife"?
> >

> Bridges! Ay, yay, yay :-) You're absolutely right, Jeff!
>
> Now, who is ALICIA MYERS??!

The singer of "I Want To Thank You". :)

Jeff Troutman, always glad to be of help.

Jeff Troutman

Oct 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/8/00
"Naz Reyes" <n...@american.edu> wrote:
> In article <8rr0o9$emj$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>,

> "Jeff Troutman" <yourhe...@starpower.net> wrote:
>
> > And she just got better and better, culminating in "Hounds", which I
> think
> > is one of the best records of the '80s.
> >
> > Trivia for you '70s music buffs: Kate is said to have been discovered
> in
> > part by Dave Gilmour of Pink Floyd. Her first two LPs were produced
> by
> > Andrew Powell, who did the orchestral arrangements on those early Alan
> > Parsons Project albums.
> >

> Jeff, I'm not surprised about that :) If you listen to the song "Pull
> Out The Pin" in the album "The Dreaming", you would swear Pink Floyd is
> somewhere in the background playing their music and doing some
> background vocals :)
>
> Anyway, I've always considered Kate Bush as a female version of Pink
> Floyd :)

I can see that with her '70s work. Her '80s work is more in step with the
art-pop of her contemporary Peter Gabriel, IMO.

Jeff Troutman

Naz Reyes

Oct 8, 2000, 8:11:44 PM10/8/00
In article <8rr0o9$emj$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>,
"Jeff Troutman" <yourhe...@starpower.net> wrote:

> And she just got better and better, culminating in "Hounds", which I
think
> is one of the best records of the '80s.
>
> Trivia for you '70s music buffs: Kate is said to have been discovered
in
> part by Dave Gilmour of Pink Floyd. Her first two LPs were produced
by
> Andrew Powell, who did the orchestral arrangements on those early Alan
> Parsons Project albums.
>

> Jeff Troutman

Jeff, I'm not surprised about that :) If you listen to the song "Pull
Out The Pin" in the album "The Dreaming", you would swear Pink Floyd is
somewhere in the background playing their music and doing some
background vocals :)

Anyway, I've always considered Kate Bush as a female version of Pink
Floyd :)

-Naz

The Wanderer

Oct 9, 2000, 12:37:15 AM10/9/00
Dave, dont know if you're aware of it but.... Carol Klein went to High
School ('bout 100 years ago) in Brooklyn with Neil Sedaka (not far from
where I live). Although (to my understanding) they were not close, they
admired each other from afar. He wrote Oh Carol for her and she wrote Oh
Neil for him.

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn
"David Ballarotto" <ba...@stargate.net> wrote in message

> <a_nate...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> > I like Carol King, and YES I may be considered a wussy, so for those of
> > you that think that way - you know what you can do.

a_nate...@my-deja.com

Oct 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/9/00
In article <8rr1bg$qhg$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
Naz Reyes <n...@american.edu> wrote:

> Now, who is ALICIA MYERS??!

She only had one hit w/ "I Want To Thank You". You may be able to get
one of the Gospel stations (some of them are very proud of their
crossover artists and some aren't) or a classic R&B radio station to
play it. You'd definantly know it if you heard it. Her voice will
definately remind you of a young Aretha - woo-ooh-wee she got some
lungs brother!

BTW - A great remake of Alicia Bridges "I Love The Nightlife" is by
Nuyorcian Soul. Their album of the same name is a great mixture of all
types of music. A definant recommend to you, Naz.

That song is also on the soundtrack to "The Last Days of Disco" which
also has the song "Got To Have Loving" - Don Ray - the godfather of
what the kids today call "progressive house". I was suprised to see it
on a soundtrack, seeing as to how (as we say in the south) it's only
been released on 12" single (I think?)

EVEN BETTER NEWS R&B FANS!!!!!!!!!!!

A Holland-Dozier-Holland anthology is coming out soon, from what I hear!

The great songwriting machine will have almost every thing they have
written from the Supremes to a little known song written for Edwin
Starr, odd ehh?

manding...@my-deja.com

Oct 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/9/00
Melissa Manchester
Patti Austin
Valerie Simpson
Brenda Russell
Phyllis Hyman
Angela Bofill

merl...@my-deja.com wrote:
> In no particular order...
>
> Karen Carpenter
> Dusty Springfield
> Roberta Flack
> Gladys Knight
> Aretha Franklin
> Bette Midler
> Olivia Newton-John
> Rita Coolidge
> Patti LaBelle
> Barbra Streisand
>
> Those names look so classy and iconic up there, compared to todays
> singers...
>
> Any I've missed... ?
>
> David.

a_nate...@my-deja.com

Oct 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/9/00
In article <8rsral$5pf$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
manding...@my-deja.com wrote:

> Patti Austin
> Valerie Simpson
> Brenda Russell

> Angela Bofill
Oh yes! Great choices!

> Phyllis Hyman
uhh, HEY! awwwwwwwwwe sooky, sooky, now!

Francis McGill

Oct 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/9/00
That was Alicia Bridges.

Naz Reyes (n...@american.edu) wrote:
: You're right - I don't know much about Alicia Myers except for "I Love

: The Nightlife". *That song*, itself, highlights her wonderful vocals!
: You know, I think I'll look for some her gospel albums, now that you
: mentioned it! :)

: -Naz

* *
* Francis McGill *
* a052...@bc.seflin.org *
* "Glory to God on High" *
* *

aleen the karaoke queen

Oct 10, 2000, 1:15:26 AM10/10/00
oh oh, yes, gayle mccormick's voice blew me away! and add chi coltrane
to the list for me! :-)
aleen the karaoke queen!

In article <20001007141500...@ng-ff1.aol.com>,

Teu...@webtv.net

Oct 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/10/00
Hey, wasnt Tina Turner becoming popular back then?

Jeff Troutman

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
<Teu...@webtv.net> wrote:
> Hey, wasnt Tina Turner becoming popular back then?

Not as a solo artist, no. It wouldn't be until the '80s that she became
really big on her own.

With Ike, she'd racked up a big hit with "Proud Mary" in 1971, and another
one in the UK with "Nutbush City Limits" in 1973. But they were bigger in
the '60s.

Jeff Troutman

Endymion9

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
<Teu...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> Hey, wasnt Tina Turner becoming popular back then?
>
> "That which does not kill us makes us stronger'
> - Friedrick Nietzsche

Tina didn't hit the big time until she traveled with the Stones and learned
her *new* style of showmanship from Jagger.

Naz Reyes

Oct 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/12/00
In article <8s1ovs$mvt$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>,
"Jeff Troutman" <yourhe...@starpower.net> wrote:

> <Teu...@webtv.net> wrote:
> > Hey, wasnt Tina Turner becoming popular back then?
> >

> Not as a solo artist, no. It wouldn't be until the '80s that she
became
> really big on her own.

Yup - I remember when I kept hearing Tina's name with the Stones back in
the late 70s/early 80s, but it wasn't until she released "What's Love
Got To Do With It" that she became a household name. I think "What's
Love Got..." was one of the biggest hits of 1984, if not, the biggest.
And "Private Dancer" produced more than 4 top ten songs, I think!

-Naz

> With Ike, she'd racked up a big hit with "Proud Mary" in 1971, and
another
> one in the UK with "Nutbush City Limits" in 1973. But they were
bigger in
> the '60s.

> Jeff Troutman

Tiny Dancer

Oct 12, 2000, 8:42:30 PM10/12/00
And so the word went out from Oil Impressionist <oil_impr...@my-deja.com>:

>Naz Reyes <n...@american.edu> wrote:
> >
>> Another is KATE BUSH - yes, she started in the late 70s. She's the
>> mother of "alternative/modern rock" music, the one who *created*
>> SINEAD O'CONNOR, TORI AMOS, ALANIS MORRISETTE, and
>> perhaps, even NATALIE MERCHANT!
>

>Wow, I didn't know that! I thought Suzanne Vega was the first. I
>guess she was just the first I ever heard in that "genre."

I'm a little late to this thread but I have a good excuse :-) Dawna, you
just don't hear much about Kate these days as she's squirelled herself
away in England and it's been eons since she recorded anything but
she definitely broke some doors down in the late '70s. That's when I
found her and she's been my favorite female vocalist since (note to
self, update *my* ng site page next!). I actually owned an 8-track of
her first album, "The Kick Inside" (the one with "Wuthering Heights",
a HUGE hit in England), how '70s is that?! I've moved on to CDs now.

Doesn't take much to own her complete collection as I do, she's only
recorded nine albums including her greatest hits package, "The Whole
Story". Really wish she'd get off her duff and record again, "The Red
Shoes" is her most recent album and that came out seven years ago!

To show you how out-of-touch with the world she is, she had a baby not
too long ago and I had to hear about on alt.showbiz.gossip. A little girl
apparently, maybe the kid can sing someday and fill the Bush void in
my life :-)

For them that care, excellent site here:

http://gaffa.org/intro/toc.html

Do NOT miss the incredible pictures:

http://gaffa.org/wow/index.html

Any wonder I was enthralled and still am?!

Cheers,

TD

'Cause I'm on the stage tonight
And if the price is right
I will amaze before the light
from Elton John's "Ego"

For a good time call
http://i.am/tinyd

Tiny Dancer

Oct 12, 2000, 8:58:17 PM10/12/00
And so the word went out from "Jeff Troutman" <yourhe...@starpower.net>:

Re: Kate Bush:

>And she just got better and better, culminating in "Hounds", which I think
>is one of the best records of the '80s.

Ditto. "The Ninth Wave" side is THE most incredible collection of
songs I've ever heard. I was a member of her fan club at the time so
I got to read all of her notes about the album before hearing it. Really
helped me appreciate side two. Here's the link if you're interested to
the original article:

http://gaffa.org/garden/kate20.html

Two others about the album:

http://gaffa.org/garden/kate19.html
http://gaffa.org/garden/kate21.html

The second one talks about the video for "Cloudbusting" with Donald
Sutherland and a bit about the "Hounds of Love" video.

Molly Fanton

Oct 12, 2000, 11:47:26 PM10/12/00
Kate Bush, did someone say Kate Bush. She has got to be one of the most
amazing singers of any decade, IMHO. TD, you're so correct "The Ninth Wave"
side of The Hounds of Love is spectacular. I have most of her albums, and the
song that hit me was, "Running Up That Hill". That was back in 1985, and I've
been hooked ever since. Kate rocks. :)
I got another great female singer, well two singers, Agnetha and Frida from
ABBA. Their voices just flow together. Agnetha has one of the most beautiful
voices I've ever heard.

Molly

Jeff Troutman

Oct 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/13/00
"Naz Reyes" <n...@american.edu> wrote:
> In article <8s1ovs$mvt$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>,
> "Jeff Troutman" <yourhe...@starpower.net> wrote:
> > <Teu...@webtv.net> wrote:
> > > Hey, wasnt Tina Turner becoming popular back then?
> > >

> > Not as a solo artist, no. It wouldn't be until the '80s that she
> became
> > really big on her own.
>
> Yup - I remember when I kept hearing Tina's name with the Stones back in
> the late 70s/early 80s, but it wasn't until she released "What's Love
> Got To Do With It" that she became a household name. I think "What's
> Love Got..." was one of the biggest hits of 1984, if not, the biggest.
> And "Private Dancer" produced more than 4 top ten songs, I think!

I remember "Better Be Good To Me" and "Private Dancer" were also big hits
from the LP. Do you remember what the others were?

Jeff Troutman

Jeff Troutman

Oct 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/13/00
"Tiny Dancer" <ti...@idirect.com> wrote:

> To show you how out-of-touch with the world she is, she had a baby not
> too long ago and I had to hear about on alt.showbiz.gossip.

Kate Bush had a baby? Holy Cow!

>A little girl
> apparently, maybe the kid can sing someday and fill the Bush void in
> my life :-)

The way things are now, the nation's Bush void may get filled this November.
:)

> For them that care, excellent site here:
>
> http://gaffa.org/intro/toc.html
>
> Do NOT miss the incredible pictures:
>
> http://gaffa.org/wow/index.html
>
> Any wonder I was enthralled and still am?!

Thank you for these. I'll definitely be checking them out.

Jeff Troutman