Sick days

Dawna

Jul 7, 2001, 11:20:43 PM7/7/01
Dave's thread about his day off, along with my present sickened condition,
started me remeniscing about a weird one!

What did your mother do for you when you were sick in the 70s? Not that it
only pertains to that decade, but still . . . And it has to do with a day
off, right?

On my way home from work tonight, (early) I stopped @ the store, leaned
heavily on the cart handle, (fever!!) and bought Canada Dry ginger ale,
popsicles, Gatorade, and animal crackers. My mom is in Canada, and my
sweetie is in NY, so I gotta cure myself, and that's what I came up
with--just like Mom used to make! Well, maybe she gave me juice also. :)

~~~~Dawna

~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~
da...@dakotacom.net
~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~

Dixon Hayes

Jul 7, 2001, 11:45:43 PM7/7/01
My big thing from my mom was Lipton's Soup and 7up. And a day lying on the
couch watching "Password," "The Hollywood Squares" and any other number of game
shows...

Dixon
===========
"Daylight's precious when you're a young 'un!"
--Sheriff Andy Taylor

Classic Hollywood Squares:
http://www.geocities.come/screenjockey/classicsquares.html

rach

Jul 7, 2001, 11:50:57 PM7/7/01
Being sick in my house meant you got to have a little bed made for you on
the couch with a TV tray beside it which held the following items: a book or
colouring book with crayons, juice, thermometre, and as a special bonus, the
brown clicker box that usually sat on top of the TV so you wouldn't have to
get up to change the channels.

At night, it meant sleeping in my mom's bed with her dressing gown. I guess
at the time it was purchased (late 60s) it was a cheap thing, made of nylon
I think but its a thick, soft nylon like satin. It was always cool on your
cheek and I liked the light blue colour. It also meant a vapourizer with
Vicks Vapo rub in the reseviour. It also meant Vicks on you. Mom would also
heat clarified goose grease and rub that on your back. And best of all, it
meant LOTS of TV and the knowing that Dad would bring home a treat of some
sort , be it a kinder egg or chalk or new crayons... the kind with the
sharpener on the back.

--

rach
"cheer up, my brother, come live in the sunshine - we'll understand it all
Dawna <da...@dakotacom.net> wrote in message

Raphael

Jul 8, 2001, 1:06:15 AM7/8/01
Dawna <da...@dakotacom.net> wrote in message

> What did your mother do for you when you were sick in the 70s? Not that

it
> only pertains to that decade, but still . . . And it has to do with a day
> off, right?

Hmm...lessee...despite having been a fairly sick child, I don't recall too
much of my treatments. I do recall laying on the couch and watching
tv...Romper Room, Mr. Dressup & the Friendly Giant spring to mind. Sulfa
drug...I remember a lot of that (yummy yellow stuff....(blech)). And I
remember always pulling out the "Golden Treasury of Knowledge" and
re-reading the sections on Spiders, Bats and Iceburgs (they had a paragraph
on the Titanic). I do seem to recall Dad bringing home boxes of chalk for
me quite often, too.

I do have specific memories from the mumps (close friends all came down with
Chicken Pox...so, of course, I get mumps)...drinking milkshakes (hurt to
open my mouth too much), and Mom buying a package of Chicken Bones for me to
eat once I felt better.

Erin ">

mstx

Jul 8, 2001, 3:58:11 AM7/8/01
Hi Dawna,
Love this question--It brings back fond memories.
When I was a little girl, my mom would draw a paperdoll for me whenever I
was sick. I would then proceed to draw clothes for the paperdoll. It
inspired some of my present day art work. I draw, paint and sell paperdolls
locally and on Ebay. Right now I am working on a guitar player
series.....but my dear mother's artwork was my original inspiration.
MsTx

Molly

Jul 8, 2001, 2:31:33 AM7/8/01
I was a really sick kid when I was little, and those days that I took sick days my
Dad would usually watch me, and I would usually have toast and ginger ale. I would
stay on the couch and watch all the educational programs on PBS (The Letter People,
Let's All Sing, and All About You). My cat would usually sleep by me, which felt
really nice. :)

Molly

Molly

Jul 8, 2001, 2:37:21 AM7/8/01
Oh rach those sounded like great memories. I forgot when my mom got done with
work, she would bring home books from her job. If I had broncitis (sp) I would
get the Vick's Vapor Rub treatment. And if I had the flu my parents would set
the "barf bag" (paper bag stuffed with newspapers) by the couch. Oh those
memories.

Molly

LazyGirl

Jul 8, 2001, 8:45:41 PM7/8/01
I remember my mom giving me coke syrup sometimes when I was sick...it was
supposed to soothe the stomach. My fondest memories are of watching game
show after game show while camped out on the couch. Even though I was sick,
it was bliss!

Claire

"Dawna" <da...@dakotacom.net> wrote in message

: Dave's thread about his day off, along with my present sickened condition,

Sandy

Jul 8, 2001, 11:11:46 PM7/8/01
Being sick is one of my fondest childhood memories...well not the being sick
part, but the being on the couch that my mother would cover with a sheet,
watching tv all day and getting food brought to me. They would often get me a
new coloring book and crayons (there is this really light purple crayon I had
that was the same color as the medicine I was taking for being really sick with
a stomache something or other which, if I think of the crayon *still* makes me
a little queezie!) and my sister would often bring me some sort of little toy.
I still have the teddy bear she once brought me :)

Sandy

2-60
Class of 78

Heather

Jul 9, 2001, 12:10:15 AM7/9/01
LOL! What are Chicken Bones...a cracker of some sort???

--
Crack it open. If it stinks...it's bad. ~~Julia Child-discussing fresh eggs
"Raphael" <raphe...@sprint.ca> wrote in message

Nanc

Jul 9, 2001, 8:46:10 AM7/9/01
We got gingerale and saltines. To this day gingerale makes me think of
puking! The best thing was an alcohol foot rub when I had a fever.
Nanc

Nanc

Jul 9, 2001, 8:48:08 AM7/9/01
Ditto from me Erin- why would you eat chicken bones?

Raphael

Jul 9, 2001, 7:48:37 PM7/9/01
Nanc <bill...@mediaone.net> wrote in message

> Ditto from me Erin- why would you eat chicken bones?

> Heather wrote in message <9ibasu$110$1...@news.warwick.net>...
> >LOL! What are Chicken Bones...a cracker of some sort???

Chicken bones are a candy...the outer portion is a hard cinammon flavoured
candy and the inside is chocolate. They kinda look like chicken bones...

http://www.bonbons2000.com/pho_chri/Chicken.jpg

Used to love these things...

Hmm...I suppose if I was to say that I ate a donair and my budgie made a
lotta noise, it'd confuse people too <G>

Erin ">

Nanc

Jul 10, 2001, 7:53:12 AM7/10/01
sounds good-I guess they weren't sold around these parts
Nanc

Marlene Blanshay

Jul 10, 2001, 11:52:47 PM7/10/01
In article <20010708231146...@ng-mk1.aol.com>,
sand...@aol.com (Sandy) wrote:

My mother would always make chicken soup as soon as one of us got sick (if
it were in the winter, which it usually was- we rarely got sick in
summer). She really makes the most amazing chicken soup. Sometimes my
grandmother would visit and feed us the soup. Sometimes, we'd get to go
into our parents bedroom and watch tv in there, while propped up in the
big bed. WHen I was ten I got strep and was really sick, and while
watching tv in my parents room I got hooked on soaps- I remember watching
'all my children.' The only thing I could eat was soup and Jello, even
though I hated jello and still do. But it was the only thing I could
swallow. I didn't touch Jello again until just a couple of years ago when
I was in the hospital, and got the post-op special- chicken broth and
jello! I gotta tell ya, it wasn't my mother's chicken soup, that's for
sure. Yech.